PDA

View Full Version : Pounce

Lateral
2010-10-14, 02:25 PM
How can I get my PC to have it? I've heard something about lion totem barbarian, but I've looked it up and it just trades some barbarian class abilities for Run and some little bonuses. Alternatively, a feat would work too. Please send me to a link or describe it. Thanks!

Keld Denar
2010-10-14, 02:26 PM
Person_Man to the rescue!!!! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358)

Greenish
2010-10-14, 02:30 PM
I've heard something about lion totem barbarian…Because people are too lazy to write "Spirit Lion Totem barbarian". Unlike UA's totem barbarians, it's an ACF instead of an alternative base class.

Eloel
2010-10-14, 02:55 PM
…Because people are too lazy to write "Spirit Lion Totem barbarian". Unlike UA's totem barbarians, it's an ACF instead of an alternative base class.

And is in Complete Champion.

Douglas
2010-10-14, 03:22 PM
How can I get my PC to have it? I've heard something about lion totem barbarian, but I've looked it up and it just trades some barbarian class abilities for Run and some little bonuses. Alternatively, a feat would work too. Please send me to a link or describe it. Thanks!
What you looked up is this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#lionTotemClassFeatures ), which was originally printed in Unearthed Arcana. What people are referring to when they talk about getting Pounce is an ACF from Complete Champion which has a coincidentally very similar name. Complete Champion's Lion Totem Barbarian trades Fast Movement for Pounce at level 1.

Person_Man
2010-10-14, 04:16 PM
Also, Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian is overrated. Most melee builds can access Pounce or free movement without wasting a level on an otherwise useless class.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-14, 04:18 PM
How can I get my PC to have it? I've heard something about lion totem barbarian, but I've looked it up and it just trades some barbarian class abilities for Run and some little bonuses.

Look up Person Man's pounce list. He had some great list of all the awesome ways to get it.

And yeah, the listing of lion instead of spirit lion confused me too. Lion is kinda weak, imo. Eagle is better.

Greenish
2010-10-14, 04:46 PM
Also, Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian is overrated. Most melee builds can access Pounce or free movement without wasting a level on an otherwise useless class.Rage/Frenzy is pretty nice. Good chassis. Next level you can grab Imp. Trip without needing 13+ int.

Lateral
2010-10-14, 04:48 PM
Rules question: If I make a jump from a standing start, does it still take a move action? I think it does, but the SRD says that Jumping takes no action but is included in movement, so if I don't move to jump...

Edit: M'kay. So, I can jump anytime I would move... So, if I were to have, say, a feat that lets me move 10 feet as a swift action, I could make a jump? If I were to do that, would I get -12 to jump (because it's 20 feet less than 30 ft)? Or is it still the base speed that applies?

FMArthur
2010-10-14, 05:00 PM
Rules question: If I make a jump from a standing start, does it still take a move action? I think it does, but the SRD says that Jumping takes no action but is included in movement, so if I don't move to jump...

Then I guess moving nowhere with a jump is a nonaction? You're not even doing anything if your jump isn't moving you.

Also, Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian is overrated. Most melee builds can access Pounce or free movement without wasting a level on an otherwise useless class.

What would you recommend above it?

lsfreak
2010-10-14, 06:16 PM

You are taking a move action to move, it's just that some of all of that movement is taken via a jump. You can jump from standing, jumping 15 feet, and then continue on to your maximum movement, or you can move then jump, or you can move, jump, move, and so on.

As far as I can tell, taking a move action and jumping from the start, but rolling horribly (like getting less than 5 feet moved) effectively doesn't count against your movement for that round, though it's still made as part of a move action (that is, try and jump, go nowhere; you at that point can't take a full-round action because you've taken a move action, but you could still use that move action to move your full speed, since you never actually went anywhere with your jump).

Urpriest
2010-10-14, 06:19 PM
Think about it this way: a standing jump is an attempt to move upwards some distance, so you need a move action or the like to do it.

Lateral
2010-10-14, 07:25 PM
Hmm... Maybe I can get the DM to let me have an item of Hustle that uses a command word, but as a swift action.