PDA

View Full Version : "Sons of Gruumsh" Solo Game Advice

Lugg
2010-10-14, 03:00 PM
NOTE: If you've played a xeph soulknife who got lost in time, an aasimar paladin with (useless) DM-selected equipment, a dimwitted tribal paladin who ascended beyond godhood, and a werewolf who got stuck in Malfeas, and you're currently playing a Promethean-angel-thing, don't read this. Yes, honey, that means you. :smalltongue:

So I'm thinking about surprising my partner by running "Sons of Gruumsh" over Halloween weekend, with a pregenerated character so we can get right into the gaming without a lot of prep time. The character's going to be a water orc barbarian with a binder dip.

I'm good at building characters, so I know he'll be reasonably strong coming in, but I'm also really bad at estimating difficulty. The questions I have are:

1. What level should he be? The module recommends a party of four at level foureight, but how much extra power should I give my single PC to make up for the lack of other characters? (I'm not interested in running extra party members, for the sake of keeping play moving. There's only two of us, after all.)

2. Should I build the character with the gestalt rules? Gestalt would help him cover more bases, but would it make him too strong for the module to challenge him?

3. Is there anything module-specific I should know about? Wildly unbalanced encounters? Self-contradictory text? Things that could go horribly wrong?

Thanks!

EDIT: There's a web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060418a) I didn't check out earlier, which upgrades the recommended party level from four to eight.