PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate magus question

Dark_Juggernaut
2010-10-14, 04:20 PM
Let us say I take the basic Sorcerer/Wizard route to Ultimate magus, and I have a high intelligence but a somewhat low charisma score (say 14). I realize that 5th level and up Sorcerer spells I won't be able to cast, but will I still learn 5th+ spells and have access to those spontaneous spell slots via alternate uses like Ultimate Magus' Augmented Casting feature or Arcane Strike?

I understand spells learned by Sorcerer advancement will not be available for use via wizard spell slots.

Khatoblepas
2010-10-14, 04:38 PM
I believe you can still have, and use, the slots you gain from your sorcerer side for metamagic. You can even use metamagic to cast 4th level spells from 5th level slots. You just can't cast 5th level spells. Nowhere does it say you can't use the slots for class features or feats, since using them that way isn't casting the spell.

Though if you have a low CHA score, I recommend using Beguiler instead of Sorcerer. At least you'll be able to cast 5th level beguiler spells if you need it.

Dark_Juggernaut
2010-10-14, 05:12 PM
And I'll still be able to learn new higher level spells on the sorcerer side, just not be able to cast them right?

I'll look into beguiler.

Edit: Ok yeah, beguiler's starting to look like a much better option.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-10-14, 05:50 PM
And I'll still be able to learn new higher level spells on the sorcerer side, just not be able to cast them right?
No.

“To learn or cast a spell, a sorcerer must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level.” (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#sorcererSpells)

Remember also that you can cast lower level spells from higher level slots without metamagic, too.

Dark_Juggernaut
2010-10-14, 06:35 PM
I see, thanks for the info.

Aron Times
2010-10-14, 07:27 PM
A sufficiently powerful Cloak of Charisma lets you cast higher-level sorcerer spells, so having a low cha isn't automatically a gamebreaker.