PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 making a ranged archivist

junglesteve
2010-10-14, 04:32 PM
I remember reading somewhere about using an archivist like a ranger with the awesome ranger spells from books like the spell compendium. So far thats about what I have going on, any tips of tricks for this build?

Eldariel
2010-10-14, 04:56 PM
Archivist basically uses Cleric's tricks and spells to be an impressive combatant and then uses Ranger spells to showcase awesome as an Archer.

The baseline is that you want Divine Power on you; preferably Persistent. Divine Metamagic [CDiv] is the easiest way to go about that. This gives you effectively full BAB. You can acquire turning for Divine Metamagic with e.g. a Sacred Exorcist dip. Then you stack various Clerical buffs (Divine Favor, Blessed Aim, et cetera) for numeric buffs.

Then you take all the goodies like Hunter's Mercy, Find the Gap, Hunter's Eye and so on from the Ranger-list; they're Divine spells so you can learn them. Then you use them and hurt your foes big time. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Aotrs Commander
2010-10-14, 05:02 PM
I remember reading somewhere about using an archivist like a ranger with the awesome ranger spells from books like the spell compendium. So far thats about what I have going on, any tips of tricks for this build?

My current character is kinda going that route, actually.

First, it relies on you being able to buy scrolls of the relevant spells (and ideally, domain spells if your DM clears that1). Zen Archery is a good start, if you're going to be shooting things, probably with PBS and Precise Shot later if you have the feats spare.

My first starter for ten was actually Chill of the Grave, which is a nice 1st level neem for an Archivist (D10 cold damage? Yes, thanks!) I bought a few scrolls out of my starting funds.

Other things to look out for are the druid's Splinter Bolt and Adept's Scorching Ray at 2nd level spells. (I've not got that far myself yet, we've only had two sessions!)

As an archer archer (as opposed to a ranged-touch-spell shooter, which is what I'm going for), you'll suffer a bit to start with because of the low BAB, until at least level 7 when you get Divine Power. (And obviously, if you want a bow, you'll have to be an Elf, multiclass or burn a feat.)

1As written, you technically can learn domain spells, but it's gone on record that the designers didn't really want you to be able to do that.

Psyren
2010-10-14, 05:33 PM
Don't forget the Paladin list! Archivists can take Battle Blessing (Complete Champion) which makes all of their Paladin spells swift actions instead of standards - i.e. free Quicken Spell. Cast Find the Gap as a paladin spell instead of a ranger spell and full attack immediately.

Greenish
2010-10-14, 07:42 PM
Other things to look out for are the druid's Splinter BoltThat's the one with no-save stun?

[Edit]: No, I was thinking some other spell.