PDA

View Full Version : So, my Internet exploded...

Derjuin
2010-10-14, 07:05 PM
For apparently no reason at all, Firefox (and IE) decided all websites barring MSN, google and youtube were using incorrect/unsupported compression, and it wouldn't let me visit the page at all...

Literally, this happened out of the blue. I went to refresh Firefox and it said GitP's compression wasn't "supported". Then it did it with every other webpage...

I updated my computer, both Java and Windows updates, and while most websites are better, I still get a massively mangled-up GitP page (as well as JS errors when I try to load WoW, though those only apply to the news launcher).

Does anyone know...perhaps anything at all that could or would cause this, and how to solve it? It occurred even when I tried loading sites in Safe Mode.

Pic of mangled GitP:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc273/xilobucket/what2.png

Edit: My firefox, Java, antivirus etc. and Windows should all be up to date now. Just in case that info helps...

Marnath
2010-10-14, 07:11 PM
Maybe your router/modem is failing? What kind do you use?

Derjuin
2010-10-14, 07:12 PM
It's a Motorola SB5101 "Surfboard"; I think that's its name, that's what's printed on the front...

Jallorn
2010-10-14, 07:17 PM
Try a new web browser, like Chrome, or Opera (emphasis mine).

Did you run a virus scan?

Lord Magtok
2010-10-14, 07:24 PM
Wow, the same exact thing happened to me today. :smalleek:

Edit: Was MSPA fuzzy for you too?

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-14, 07:27 PM
Firefox and IE never worked for me, Chrome hasn't messed up yet so it's good.

Derjuin
2010-10-14, 07:31 PM
MSPA was fine for me, I'm going to try Chrome out; my friends have been telling me how it's superior for a while, so now's a good time. :p

Gullara
2010-10-14, 07:45 PM
Try a new web browser, like Chrome, or Opera (emphasis mine).

I agree. :smallbiggrin:

But ya, Chrome is much better.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-14, 08:58 PM
Chromes amazing, I like operas widgets but it keeps messing up posting for me.

Derjuin
2010-10-14, 09:36 PM
Chrome fixed it! Amazing! Now all my friends can tell me they told me so...but yay, I can actually view the internet again :smallbiggrin:

Thanks for the help =D

Gullara
2010-10-14, 09:43 PM
Chrome fixed it! Amazing! Now all my friends can tell me they told me so...but yay, I can actually view the internet again :smallbiggrin:

Thanks for the help =D

Don't thank us, thank Google:smallcool:

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-14, 09:46 PM
No thanks the internet!

Temotei
2010-10-14, 09:47 PM
Chrome fixed it! Amazing! Now all my friends can tell me they told me so...

Now you know!

TSGames
2010-10-14, 10:37 PM
Don't thank us, thank Google:smallcool:

No need citizen, your thanks have already been added to the Google archive, available for all future generations to see. If you are in any way dissatisfied with Chrome for any reason, simply open a computer and type in your complaint; it will be instantly archived, and the Google Chrome team will be immediately notified.

While Chrome is, no doubt, a superior product that will easily meet all your internet and informational needs, I must ask, did you try updating or re-installing Firefox? It seems likely that either would fix the problem you have been experiencing.

Gullara
2010-10-14, 10:45 PM
No need citizen, your thanks have already been added to the Google archive, available for all future generations to see. If you are in any way dissatisfied with Chrome for any reason, simply open a computer and type in your complaint; it will be instantly archived, and the Google Chrome team will be immediately notified.

While Chrome is, no doubt, a superior product that will easily meet all your internet and informational needs, I must ask, did you try updating or re-installing Firefox? It seems likely that either would fix the problem you have been experiencing.

Shhh, don't tell her that. She's been converted, don't ruin this:smalltongue:

On an unrelated note Skami, I was wondering if you use the android Chrome skin.

TSGames
2010-10-14, 11:46 PM
Shhh, don't tell her that. She's been converted, don't ruin this:smalltongue:

On an unrelated note Skami, I was wondering if you use the android Chrome skin.

:smallwink: You nailed it. It's a great looking skin. Also, since there's doubtlessly at least one new Chrome convert in this thread, here's a couple of neat extensions:
Auto HD for YouTube (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/kaielpkecabnggniojjhghggjedkecfj) - easy to setup and it runs passively
Session Manager (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bbcnbpafconjjigibnhbfmmgdbbkcjfi) - Until I found this, I had to use Firefox

I'd throw out some more, but I think half the fun of extensions is exploring what's out there. Chrome, like Firefox, now has an extension for pretty much everything. Once you go Chrome, you never go back. Hopefully, the Chrome OS is just as good...

Jallorn
2010-10-14, 11:49 PM
I'm not fond of Chrome, I think it's design is secondary to Opera. Plus, Opera is open source, so no selling of souls.

I admit, my opinion may be influenced by the fact that I used Opera for a while before trying out Chrome.

It is, however, interesting to note that Opera used tabs before IE, Firefox, and Chrome did.

Gullara
2010-10-14, 11:49 PM
:smallwink: You nailed it. It's a great looking skin. Also, since there's doubtlessly at least one new Chrome convert in this thread, here's a couple of neat extensions:
Auto HD for YouTube (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/kaielpkecabnggniojjhghggjedkecfj) - easy to setup and it runs passively
Session Manager (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bbcnbpafconjjigibnhbfmmgdbbkcjfi) - Until I found this, I had to use Firefox

I'd throw out some more, but I think half the fun of extensions is exploring what's out there. Chrome, like Firefox, now has an extension for pretty much everything. Once you go Chrome, you never go back. Hopefully, the Chrome OS is just as good...

True dat. Those two could come in handy, thanks.

Amiel
2010-10-14, 11:54 PM
Did you beat the end guy? Was he hard?
And, are you able to reload from your last checkpoint?

It could be a problem with your monitor as well, have you updated your drivers for that?
Also, a page refresh helps as well.
Or barring that, it could be caused by a virus, have you scheduled for a virus scan yet?

TSGames
2010-10-15, 01:14 AM
I'm not fond of Chrome, I think it's design is secondary to Opera. Plus, Opera is open source, so no selling of souls.

Let us refrain from mentioning THAT WHICH SHALL NOT BE NAMED (http://www.chromium.org/Home). It's called Chromium - Open source with all the goodness of Chrome and less of the constant surveillance.

lesser_minion
2010-10-17, 03:26 PM
As far as I'm aware, GiantitP doesn't use compression, so I'm not sure where your error messages are coming from, but I'm not really convinced that this was a problem with Exploder or Firefox.

The screenshot you took looks like not everything was downloaded -- you're missing some of the CSS, for example. From everything you've said, I think things are becoming mangled before the web browser actually looks at them, which makes the fact that Chrome works into an anomaly.

Do you still get these problems using Firefox?

Opera is open source, so no selling of souls.

Erm... actually, no, it isn't.

Although the EULA for Opera reads "please don't steal our work or we'll cry" rather than "we own your soul".

Cealocanth
2010-10-17, 10:25 PM
Sounds like something a virus would do. I would think it is a result of you changins somethingn in your graphics settings or main browser or something like that, but you said it was spontanious. A particularly stealthy virus could have piggybacked on something you downloaded earlier, attatched itself to Firefox, that being the browser you downloaded said thing from, and fiddled with just about everything. Run a virus scan.

On the other hand it could be hardware. Have you spilled water on your computer, touched the screen, or womehow exposed your computer to magnitism of some sort. These could cause simmilar effects with the whole screen in general, although that's not what it sounds like to me.

Xyk
2010-10-17, 11:44 PM
Erm... actually, no, it isn't.

This made me laugh. Facts are fun. :smallbiggrin:

lesser_minion
2010-10-18, 09:44 AM
This made me laugh. Facts are fun. :smallbiggrin:

The other fun fact is that being open source doesn't magically make your software better or more ethically sound.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-18, 05:35 PM
See, when I read the thread title, I immediately got a mental image of bits of tubes and lolcats flying out of your monitor in a fiery explosion of memes, bits of 4Chan everywhere, Google and Facebook duelling for supremacy, xkcd style stick-men littering the floor, dead and dying, while Gabe and Tycho slump bleeding against the wall.

I was a little disappointed to learn it was just a tech error. =I

Gullara
2010-10-18, 05:54 PM
See, when I read the thread title, I immediately got a mental image of bits of tubes and lolcats flying out of your monitor in a fiery explosion of memes, bits of 4Chan everywhere, Google and Facebook duelling for supremacy, xkcd style stick-men littering the floor, dead and dying, while Gabe and Tycho slump bleeding against the wall.

I was a little disappointed to learn it was just a tech error. =I

This would be great.

Google could beat Facebook blindfolded though, so it wouldn't be much of a duel. They're one of the superpowers of the world. Along with Walmart.

factotum
2010-10-19, 01:19 AM
bits of 4Chan everywhere

Ewwww! Do you have any idea how difficult it is to clean that stuff up? :smallbiggrin:

Gortog, SRU
2010-10-21, 02:59 PM
I think Firefox hates you, or it's infected, or corrupted, or you screwed it up somehow. Either way, purge it from your computer immediately and re-download it, if you must, and see what that does. [subliminal messaging:] bow down to me. you are my new minion. buy me pizza. [/subliminal messaging:] Then, if that fails, try updating it the next time they release one.:smallsmile:

Mr. Moon
2010-10-21, 06:25 PM
Ewwww! Do you have any idea how difficult it is to clean that stuff up? :smallbiggrin:

Psh, clean?
At that point you may as well just torch the house. Only way to be sure.

The Glyphstone
2010-10-21, 06:28 PM
Psh, clean?
At that point you may as well just torch the house. Only way to be sure.

I think you mean nuke the house from orbit. That's the only way to be sure.

PopcornMage
2010-10-21, 06:33 PM
I suggest we put the whole planet into a thermonuclear incinerator.