PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Hunter, Revised(Pathfinder, 3.5)

Gelscressor
2010-10-14, 07:11 PM
Hit Die: d10

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a mortal hunter, a character must fulfil
all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any non-good(usually evil).
Type: Any non-mortal. Mortals hunters are typically evil outsiders; although (unseelie) fey and especially undead make up a significant minority. Construct mortal hunters are rare.
Base Attack Bonus: +5.
Skills: Stealth 7 ranks, Survival 7 ranks.
Languages: Common
Feats: Track.

CLASS SKILLS
The mortal hunter’s class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft(Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Perception(Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis), Spellcraft, and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Mortal Hunter Progression
{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
1st | +1 | +1 | +1 | +1 | Mortal Hunting +1, Mortal Skin 1/day (any humanoid), Smite Mortal 1/day | 0 | - | - | - | -
2nd | +2 | +2 | +1 | +1 | Detect Mortal | 1 | - | - | -
3rd | +3 | +2 | +2 | +2 | Mortal Hunting +2, Mortalbane Shout 1/day, Uncanny Dodge | 2 | 0 | - | -
4th | +4 | +2 | +2 | +2 | Immortal Boon, Smite Mortal 2/day, Sneak Attack +1d6, | 3 | 1 | - | -
5th | +5 | +3 | +3 | +3 | Mortal Hunting +3, Mortal Skin 2/day (any nondragon), Swift Tracker | 3 | 2 | 0 | - | -
6th | +6 | +3 | +3 | +3 | Death Attack, Mortalbane Shout 2/day | 3 | 3 | 1 | - | -
7th | +7 | +4 | +4 | +4 | Mortal Hunting +4, Smite Mortal 3/day, Sneak Attack +2d6 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 0 | -
8th | +8 | +4 | +4 | +4 | Immortal Boon, Vile Smite | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 | -
9th | +9 | +5 | +5 | +5 | Mortal Hunting +5, Mortalbane Shout 3/day | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 |
10th | +10 | +5 | +5 | +5 |Mortal Skin 3/day (any), Smite Mortal 4/day, Sneak Attack +3d6, Soul Binding Smite | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3
[/table]

Spells: A mortal hunter gains the ability to cast a small number of arcane spells. To cast a spell, the mortal hunter must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell’s level, so a mortal hunter with a Charisma of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells. Mortal hunter bonus spells are based on Charisma, and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + Cha modifier. When the shows 0 spells of a given level, such as 0 1st-level spells at 1st level, the mortal hunter gets only bonus spells. A mortal hunter without a bonus spell for that level cannot yet cast a spell of that level. The mortal hunter’s spell list appears below; it has access to any spell on the list and need not prepare those spells ahead of time, similar to a sorcerer. A mortal hunter's spells are treated as spell-like abilities. A mortal hunter's caster level is equal to his hit dice.

Mortal Hunting(Ex): This functions like the favoured enemy ability of the ranger except that it applies for all mortals and is cumulative with any favoured enemy bonuses.

Mortal Skin(Su): BoVD page 65.

Smite Mortal(Su): This functions like the smite evil ability of the paladin, except that it applies to mortals and the mortal hunter deals 2 extra points of damage per mortal hunter level.

Detect Mortal(Su): Detect Mortal (Su): A 2nd-level mortal hunter can use detect mortals at will. This ability duplicates the effect of detect undead, except that mortals are detected. Caster level is equal to the mortal hunter's hit dice.

Mortalbane Shout(Su): BoVD page 65.

Uncanny Dodge(Ex): This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name.

Immortal Boon: When this class feature is gained, the mortal hunter may either select a bonus feat that enhances his natural abilities(ability focus, empower spell-like ability, fly-by attack, improved natural attack, mortalbane, violate spell-like ability, etc) or gain one of the following abilities:

Enhanced Spell-Like Abilities(Su): The mortal hunter gains more frequent use of one of it's spell-like abilities. An ability that was usable 3/ day becomes usable at will; an ability that was usable 1/day
become usable 3/day; and abilities that were usable less often decrease their delay by one increment (i.e. year becomes month, month becomes week, week becomes day).

Darkvision:The mortal hunter gains darkvision, at a range of 10 feet per hit die.

Fear No Mortal(Su): A mortal hunter is immune to any fear effects caused by a mortal creature. The mortal hunter also may no longer be turned.

Improved Summoning(Su): The mortal hunter's summoning ability is improved. The mortal hunter may either use his summoning ability an extra time per day or increase its summoning chance by twice it's hit dice. Requires the summoning spell-like ability.

Spurn Mortal Magic(Su): The mortal hunter gains spell resistance equal to his hit dice +13 against mortal spellcasters. If the mortal hunter already has spell resistance, he may either add a +4 bonus to his existing spell resistance score against mortals, or use the default amount of spell resistance granted by this ability; whatever is higher.

Serve No Mortal(Su): A mortal hunter becomes immune to any binding or compulsion effects. The mortal hunter also may no longer be rebuked.

See in Darkness(Su): The mortal hunter gains the ability to see perfectly in darkness of any kind; including magical darkness. Requires darkvision.

Telepathy: The mortal hunter gains the telepathy ability at a range of 10 feet per hit die.

Sneak Attack: This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name.

Swift Tracker: This is exactly like the ranger ability of the same name.

Death Attack: This is exactly like the assassin ability of the same name.

Smite Mortal(Su): This functions like the smite evil ability of the paladin, except that it applies to mortals and the mortal hunter deals 2 extra points of damage per mortal hunter level.

Vile Smite(Su): Half of the bonus damage done by a 8th level mortal hunter's smite mortal ability is vile in nature.

Soul Binding Smite(Su): A 10th level mortal hunter can, as a swift action, bind the soul of any mortal it slays with the smite mortal power if he fails his Will save (DC 10 + Charisma bonus + class levels). This functions as per the soul bind spell.

Mortal Hunter Spell List
Mortal hunters choose their spells from the following list.
1st Level: comprehend languages, detect secret doors, expeditious retreat, magic fang, long strider, ray of enfeeblement, true strike
2nd Level: detect thoughts, invisibility, pass without trace, see invisibility, shatter, spider climb, undetectable alignment
3rd Level: dispel magic, haste, nondetection, greater magic fang, ray of exhaustion, suggestion, tongues
4th Level: arcane eye, freedom of movement, greater invisibility, locate creature, dimension door, dimensional anchor, true seeing

__________________________________________________ _______________
DESIGNER NOTES:

So as you can see, I've tried to do a revamp of the Mortal Hunter from the Book of Vile Darkness. The original, while thematically interesting, was IMO not a very useful PrC. Flavour wise, I also found it odd it was limited to evil outsiders; as I could certainly see Unseelie Fey or Inevitables taking it. It's made for Pathfinder, but should be easy enough to adjust for 3.5. It might be a bit weaker in 3.5 due Favoured Enemy and Smite being less powerful, but that's I'm not positive; considering 3.5's polymorph cheese.

Mechanically, this version is meant to be a strong tier 3 PrC; assuming Pathfinder's power level as standard. My main issue with the PRC as it stands, is that it looks a bit unfocused with all the abilities it has pulled from various other classes and could potentially use some trimming. I could also try giving more of it's own stuff instead of ripping off other class features; such as more Immortal Boon powers. However, while I like this class feature; it's important to keep in mind the PrC is titled mortal hunter; not greater or evolved immortal. I'm aware that according to my own words, a mortal hunter could get haste(or an other level three or lower spell on it's list) at will; this is intentional.

As the BoVD is not Open Game Content, I can not copy paste what Mortal Skin and Mortalbane Shout do(...correct me I'm wrong). If I were to describe them; the first functions like a sort of polymorph self, while the second is essentially a aoe stun attack that lasts for one round.

Anyway, I feel I'm unlikely to get any further with it without any input; so feel free to give me some! Input that's about my formatting, phrasing, et etcetera; is also quite welcome, considering this is the first time I posted something up for critique.