PDA

View Full Version : General Exalted Discussion: There's a God for that! Except for Sorcery, of course.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Jokasti
2010-10-14, 08:17 PM
If you don't know what Exalted is, get it, play it, cherish it, love it, PbP it, and marry it. You can ask questions here. Here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Quotes/Exalted) are some good quotes. There are better ones, but I can't find them right now.
If you do know Exalted, this is a place for, as you may or may not have gleaned from the title, General Exalted Discussion. Discuss the Dawn Solution, current recruiting games, the upcoming Sidereals errata book, or the societal implications of Yozis in modern-day American culture, or whatever, man.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-14, 08:25 PM
I hate the Ebon Dragon.

You know why I hate the Ebon Dragon? Because his descriptions are consistently at odds with each other. He is often written as the ultimate villain and the most magnificent bastard of all Yozi Realm (which should obviously be Szoreny and not the Sol-damned Shadow of All Things), when his powers are those of a classical antihero. He is a coward, he lacks virtue, he has no motivation or grand goal other than to get out of jail where he's, comparatively speaking, been only for about a week. Those make him the antithesis of a hero, not the opposition of one. Heroes should be opposed by villains, not antiheroes, and Ebon Dragon is the greatest antihero and loser in the setting.

And when he is portrayed as this all-knowing all-successful beast who you should bow down and start worshiping because he is just that good, I die a little inside out of sheer rage.

Thankfully, they have stopped portraying him so, but still.

Kyeudo
2010-10-14, 09:30 PM
The Ebon Dragon's Charm Set as it exists was written to mimic the Solar Larceny Tree for a group of anti-heroes. It's not a very good representation of who the Ebon Dragon should be (they are okay, as he is the Shadow of All Things), but all the further Charms (namely the Ink Monkeys material) I've seen for him don't feel quite right for someone who is supposed to be the ultimate bastard out there.

He's the Ebon Dragon, master of temptations. He's supposed to find the darkest desire of your heart, offer it to you if you'll only betray the things you love most dearly, convince you that he'll most certainly come through on the deal, then leave you crying on the floor when he walks away and leaves you with nothing but the terrible realization that your unmaking was ultimately your own hand, your fall the result of your own weakness.

Yes, he is also the mustache-twirling villain, but people forget that in those old westerns, the mustache twirling villain didn't steal the family farm. He bought it from you. Sure, he forced you into poverty by poisoning the cattle and blighting the crops, but there wasn't a gun to your head when you signed the deal. Now, when he carries off the love interest and ties her to the railroad tracks just to mess with the hero, that's a different story, but people seems to think it perfectly alright for the Ebon Dragon to have mind control Charms. How can he practice his hobby of turning people into their own worst nightmares if they can just write it off as "It wasn't me doing it! It wasn't my fault!"

Xefas
2010-10-14, 09:36 PM
I hate the Ebon Dragon.

Ah, I see you've figured out the point, then. No one is supposed to like the Ebon Dragon. I would say anyone who supposedly "Likes" the Ebon Dragon is either lying about it to be contrary or just doesn't get it.

He's a bit like Shinji from Evangelion. The entire point of his existence as a character, even outside the game itself, is to be hated. He embodies everything you shouldn't want to be. Even the most blackhearted villain looks at him and goes "Wow, you're a pathetic and disgusting creature."

And yet, just like Shinji, he has crazy phenomenal power, which really drives the hatred home.

I think they did a good job portraying him that way.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-14, 09:38 PM
Ah, I see you've figured out the point, then. No one is supposed to like the Ebon Dragon. I would say anyone who supposedly "Likes" the Ebon Dragon is either lying about it to be contrary or just doesn't get it.

I don't hate the Ebon Dragon as a character, though. I hate him as a storytelling device. He is just badly written for what he is supposed to be.

Xefas
2010-10-14, 09:45 PM
I don't hate the Ebon Dragon as a character, though. I hate him as a storytelling device. He is just badly written for what he is supposed to be.

What he's supposed to be isn't a magnificent bastard. He's just supposed to be "A bastard". Just look at his act of villainy for reducing Infernal limit. He blesses you for forcing someone into a marriage in which they're unhappy.

Wow.

That's something that's probably not going to help you out. It's not a tiny puzzle piece in a grander scheme. It's not subtle manipulation that will eventually pay off in a big way. It's just making an insignificant person unhappy for the rest of their life. It's not madness or bloodrage or anything, it's just a moderate misery that will grate on that person and make life unpleasant for them and those around them.

That is what the Ebon Dragon is. He's evil in the most pathetic and inglorious way possible. And I think he's fabulously written in that respect. I'm glad they did that instead of just another hyper-intelligent grandiose magnificent bastard villain, of which there are plenty now in every kind of fiction.

Kyeudo
2010-10-14, 10:10 PM
He's a bit like Shinji from Evangelion. The entire point of his existence as a character, even outside the game itself, is to be hated. He embodies everything you shouldn't want to be. Even the most blackhearted villain looks at him and goes "Wow, you're a pathetic and disgusting creature."

I actually like Shinji. He's a deep character, mostly incapacitated by his severe issues with his father and with being close to anyone, yet he has a core of strength that is worthy of Solar Exaltation whenever it comes out. If only his childhood had been different (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3886999/1/Shinji_and_Warhammer40k), who knows how awesome he could have become.

The Ebon Dragon, however, doesn't have a redeeming feature. He is spineless, cowardly, fickle, and uncaring. He is the antithesis of Virtue. He is inhumanly smart, capable, and dangerous, yet he applies these traits equally to random acts of petty spite and grand schemes that results in the downfall of nations. In a way, he is everything that an Exalt strives not to be.

The Ebon Dragon does good only by accident. He can be said to be the architect of his own destruction, as he is currently trapped in Malfeas because he insisted upon the creation of the Unconquered Sun and the gifting of mortals and gods alike with free will. He gave seemingly good reasons for both, but in the end his only motivation for doing so was so he could have someone to oppose and someone to corrupt.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-14, 10:38 PM
Also, Jokasti told me to post a link to my recruitment thread here.

So, link. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172021)

It's called the Scarlet Dawn and it's about the celestial bodies suddenly turning crimson after one Calibration and the Scarlet Empress returning two weeks later, and the implications thereof.

Coidzor
2010-10-14, 10:44 PM
He's the Ebon Dragon, master of temptations. He's supposed to find the darkest desire of your heart, offer it to you if you'll only betray the things you love most dearly, convince you that he'll most certainly come through on the deal, then leave you crying on the floor when he walks away and leaves you with nothing but the terrible realization that your unmaking was ultimately your own hand, your fall the result of your own weakness.

Well that's just bad design. I mean, there's only so many people whose deepest darkest desires being fulfilled wouldn't be invalidated if they had to kill those they loved most.

I mean, seriously, if your deepest, darkest desire is, say, to try out something inventive with your girlfriend, it's kinda self-defeating to kill her in order to do so.

So that necessitates that his power is actually to make you an idiot.

Which, actually... would make him a badass relative to everyone else in the setting.

Toptomcat
2010-10-15, 03:51 AM
Well that's just bad design. I mean, there's only so many people whose deepest darkest desires being fulfilled wouldn't be invalidated if they had to kill those they loved most.

I mean, seriously, if your deepest, darkest desire is, say, to try out something inventive with your girlfriend, it's kinda self-defeating to kill her in order to do so.

Which, actually... would make him a badass relative to everyone else in the setting.

You lack imagination. The ideal Ebon Dragon thing to do here is not to *kill* your girlfriend, which would be of little use in tempting you and would reduce the possible total misery in the situation by a factor of two. It would be to give you the ability to convince your girlfriend to try out your inventive thing and not tell you that it's actually a mind-control power of the worst sort that's specifically designed to ensure that there's a tiny part of her looking out from deep inside of her and hating you for compelling her to do it.
Or, rather more crudely, to promise you a love potion and give you Rohypnol.

Morph Bark
2010-10-15, 04:20 AM
So far, my tabletop RPGs have been extremely limited: 3.5, Star Wars Saga Edition and 4E. Once my DnD group gets a little tighter and more into roleplaying together, I hope we can expand to other games sometime, and Exalted is certainly at the top of the list, closely followed by games like Vampire and the related ones, and Call of Cthulhu.

Looking through those quotes in the OP´s link though... perhaps I should first go with Call of Cthulhu and then Exalted, slowly upping the scale.

FelixG
2010-10-15, 05:21 AM
The game won me over when one of the first things it tells you to watch to "get into the mood" as it were is Kung Fu Hustle! I love that movie! :smallbiggrin:

Also i love playing robots so, alchemicals are right up my ally.

Delusion
2010-10-15, 05:29 AM
Currently only able to ST this, but I am looking Graceful wicked masques book and playing fairfolk is looking reaaally interesting.

But I wonder if they are able to survive in solar game since they seem to lack defensive charms that work outside the wyld.

Rhyvurg
2010-10-15, 06:23 AM
They may be the possibly weakest celestial level exalt, but Alchemicals are just awesome. Solars can fly, sure. But Alchemicals get rocket boots. Or, if you don't take the charm tree that far, they can double jump. And I can't stress enough how useful their no-muss no-fuss telekinesis charm is. Their beam weapons do need motes to activate, but they have a number of advantages over their mundane counterparts. Alchemicals are your go-to guys for the Star Wars fanboy in all of us. Also, Thousandfold Courtesan Calculations and Hyperdexterous Tentacle Apparatus. That is all.

horngeek
2010-10-15, 06:34 AM
So far, my tabletop RPGs have been extremely limited: 3.5, Star Wars Saga Edition and 4E. Once my DnD group gets a little tighter and more into roleplaying together, I hope we can expand to other games sometime, and Exalted is certainly at the top of the list, closely followed by games like Vampire and the related ones, and Call of Cthulhu.

Looking through those quotes in the OP´s link though... perhaps I should first go with Call of Cthulhu and then Exalted, slowly upping the scale.

Nah... Exalted first. :smalltongue:

Remember, they're very different games. CoC is horror.

...it's hard to run a horror campaign in Exalted when you have perfect defenses. :smalltongue:

Drascin
2010-10-15, 06:38 AM

This is a game where basic mental stability costs a lot more, points wise, than a fully equipped mecha. There's not going to be a shortage of shortsighted idiots for ol' Ebony to take advantage of :smalltongue:.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-15, 06:40 AM
This is a game where basic mental stability costs a lot more, points wise, than a fully equipped mecha. There's not going to be a shortage of shortsighted idiots for ol' Ebony to take advantage of :smalltongue:.

Because as we all know, no mentally stable man would ever build a functional warstrider.

horngeek
2010-10-15, 06:40 AM

:smallconfused:

Rhyvurg
2010-10-15, 06:44 AM
Because as we all know, no mentally stable man would ever build a functional warstrider.

Of course not, that way lies madness.

Jokasti
2010-10-15, 06:46 AM
Nah... Exalted first. :smalltongue:

Remember, they're very different games. CoC is horror.

...it's hard to run a horror campaign in Exalted when you have perfect defenses. :smalltongue:

Play mortals in Gem and then tell me Exalted isn't a horror game.:smalltongue:

horngeek
2010-10-15, 06:47 AM

Well, apart from that.

Of course not, that way lies madness.

<.<
>.>

Given that Lookshy uses warstriders quite a bit, I feel justified in doing this.

http://xspblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/this-is-sparta-7.jpg

{{For those who don't get it, Lookshy is often said to be the Creation equivalent of... well. The image says it, really.}}

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-15, 06:48 AM

Ah, Gem. It is such a shame you never survive. You have all sorts of cool stuff, and people still want to destroy you anyway.

Rhyvurg
2010-10-15, 06:57 AM
Trashing Gem is like the hobby of the exalted. I swear, every game I play in, as soon as we get a little XP and travel becomes fast and easy, we always end up in Gem, and it gets blow'd up.

Gametime
2010-10-15, 09:10 AM
I actually like Shinji. He's a deep character, mostly incapacitated by his severe issues with his father and with being close to anyone, yet he has a core of strength that is worthy of Solar Exaltation whenever it comes out. If only his childhood had been different (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3886999/1/Shinji_and_Warhammer40k), who knows how awesome he could have become.

There's a popular theory on TV Tropes that Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TengenToppaGurrenLagann) is basically an attempt to put someone with Shinji's characteristics into a more supportive and optimistic setting.

Similarly, FLCL (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FLCL) is an attempt to put Shinji into an even more bizarre setting.

tonberrian
2010-10-15, 10:44 AM
There's probably room for a Sidereal game about an overworked group of Siddies keeping Gem from imploding until its fated time. I'd play that if their charmset was fixed.

Jokasti
2010-10-15, 10:50 AM
There's probably room for a Sidereal game about an overworked group of Siddies keeping Gem from imploding until its fated time. I'd play that if their charmset was fixed.

Man, I love siddies. I would play in that game so hard.

Terraoblivion
2010-10-15, 11:03 AM
Actually if i remember correctly then Poison Fish did in fact play that game once. Or perhaps he ran it, i can't really remember.

SurlySeraph
2010-10-15, 02:11 PM
OK, I don't know Exalted well so bear with me.

What is the Great Curse? What does it actually do? I know the Primordials put it on the Exalted as revenge for overthrowing them, and it makes Solars have tragic flaws, Sidereals have BEST IDEAS EVER when they get together in groups, and Lunars have... poor self-control, I think. Is it more complicated than that, has its specific wording been spelled out anywhere, and does it affect Alchemicals, Dragon-Blooded, and Abyssals? I assume it doesn't apply to Infernals because they serve the Primordials.

golentan
2010-10-15, 02:17 PM

What is the Great Curse? What does it actually do? I know the Primordials put it on the Exalted as revenge for overthrowing them, and it makes Solars have tragic flaws, Sidereals have BEST IDEAS EVER when they get together in groups, and Lunars have... poor self-control, I think. Is it more complicated than that, has its specific wording been spelled out anywhere, and does it affect Alchemicals, Dragon-Blooded, and Abyssals? I assume it doesn't apply to Infernals because they serve the Primordials.

Actually, it was the Death curse of the Neverborn. It basically boils down to "You Suck, and will suck harder" and was intended to visit suffering and madness upon the exalted and creation in vengeance simply to spite the people who killed them.

Lunars kind of get excessive with animalistic natures, BTW. Alchemicals have no curse: the first of them were built well after the war, and so unless and until they get in on a primordial kill they're pretty much in the clear. Abyssals and Infernals have had the curse removed, but replaced by Torment and Resonance so that their patrons have a handle in their nose to yank around at will. Dragon Blooded have the weakest part of the curse, but they still suffer it.

Coidzor
2010-10-15, 02:22 PM
Y'know, a thought occurs.

With the 100K+ lost dragonblooded floating around the setting via conservative number crunching and the plethora of lost artifacts just whizzing around the cosmos all willynilly, the gross dereliction of their duty... maybe the dragonblooded are just really forgetful? Or at the very least, cursed to always lose things, like their warstrider keys (but not too terribly effected because they remember to have spares. In the warstriders. <_< >_>)....

Rhyvurg
2010-10-15, 06:41 PM

Mechanically, the Great Curse is Limit. In the First Age, Solars fell into the trap of thinking everything they did was right, even while under the influence of their Limit flaw. And it just kept getting worse, since they weren't accountable to anyone.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-15, 06:55 PM
Mechanically, the Great Curse is Limit. In the First Age, Solars fell into the trap of thinking everything they did was right, even while under the influence of their Limit flaw. And it just kept getting worse, since they weren't accountable to anyone.

Sidereals and Terrestrials don't suffer Limit, but they still suffer the Great Curse - Sidereals are cursed to massive displays of hubris, especially when they gather in large numbers, and Terrestrials tend towards excesses of emotion.

Neither of these have any mechanical effect because they're the weakest of the curse - most Neverborn were killed by Solars and Lunars, after all.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-15, 06:58 PM
Sidereals and Terrestrials don't suffer Limit, but they still suffer the Great Curse - Sidereals are cursed to massive displays of hubris, especially when they gather in large numbers, and Terrestrials tend towards excesses of emotion.

Sidereals and Terrestrials do suffer Limit. It's just that the equivalent of a Limit Break condition for Sidereals (like full moon light for Lunars) comes up very rarely for Sidereals, so they gain Limit only very slowly, while such a condition does not exist for Terrestrials. They still gain Limit from suppressing their primary Virtue or spending Willpower to resist unnatural mental influence, and still have Limit Break when they have 10 points of Limit.

SurlySeraph
2010-10-15, 07:44 PM
OK, thanks. I thought the Curse's effect on Sidereals was more overreaction than hubris ("Clearly, we need to overthrow the Solars!" "The only reasonable response to this situation is to release the Kukla!"), but hubris makes sense. And all I knew about Limit was that it exists and creates Limit Breaks.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-15, 08:07 PM
Sidereal plans tend to get more insane the more Sids are around making the plan. Get all hundred together, and, well...

Not all hundred planned the Usurpation, you know. Some of them disagreed and didn't participate.

golentan
2010-10-16, 12:54 AM
Sidereal plans tend to get more insane the more Sids are around making the plan. Get all hundred together, and, well...

Not all hundred planned the Usurpation, you know. Some of them disagreed and didn't participate.

Yeah, but they were all involved in the discussion group, and all it requires for the "gets worse the more there are" is their proximity anyway.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-16, 01:40 PM
Here's a question: how would you build Ezio from Assassin's Creed 2 and Kratos from God of War series?

Also, while you're at it, include Nero and Dante from Devil May Cry and Bayonetta from, well, Bayonetta.

Xefas
2010-10-16, 01:53 PM
Here's a question: how would you build Kratos from God of War series?

I'd say Dawn Caste Solar. They already have his weapon of choice, the Blades of Chaos, in the form of the Chain Daiklave (Scroll of the Monk) if you dual-wield two of them. So, he'll need four background points for that.

Other than that, you just want some Melee (definitely Peony Blossom and Iron Whirlwind, as he has an exact approximation of these charms in the 'Cyclone of Chaos' attack), Resistance, and a few Dodge and Presence charms. Max out his physical stats and Wits, with above-average Charisma. He can dump pretty much everything else.

If you really wanted to, you could also throw in Glory to the Most High (Glories of the Most High: Unconquered Sun) as a Rage of the Gods/Rage of the Titans/Rage of Sparta mechanic.

EDIT: Also, 1 Compassion, 5 Conviction, 1 Temperance, 5 Valor; what can I say, he min/maxed himself. Probably Foolhardy Contempt or Heart of Flint as his virtue flaw.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-16, 01:59 PM
I'd say Dawn Caste Solar.

See, I was thinking a Slayer with Infernal Monster Style, because he seems pretty liberal with the whole bloody murder and ripping people apart into two thing.

Xefas
2010-10-16, 02:03 PM
See, I was thinking a Slayer with Infernal Monster Style, because he seems pretty liberal with the whole bloody murder and ripping people apart into two thing.

Kratos strikes me as more Solar than Infernal. Plus, Solars can learn Infernal Monster Style, so why not? I do agree he could benefit from World-Breaker Grip and Hero-Sundering Hands.

golentan
2010-10-16, 06:44 PM
Ezio I'm not completely sure, having never really played the games. But at a glance, I'd guess Night caste with Social skills as a secondary and a high perception with awareness charms.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-16, 07:35 PM
Guys! I have a very complex question!

Some of you may recognize this as one of my earlier ideas that never panned out, but after discussing Exalted in modern Earth with a friend, I really want to come back to this. As such, I'm directly quoting what I posted on the White Wolf forums. Any references to White Wolf forums as such are not excised. But know that I love you very very much.

Hi, me again, with yet another setting idea (I should really stop drinking too much cola).

Basically, it's an alternate Earth where the universe was created by sapient planets (read: Primordials) called the Precursors, then an advanced alien species created the plans for a fascinating technology called the Implants that gave lesser species extraordinary powers.

Come 22nd Century, humans find a space vessel that belonged to that species, with plans for Implants and other hi-tech toys inside, and start creating their own Implanted and start traveling across the space with Implant-tech weapons and superpowers.

I tried getting a PbP game based on this off once, but it didn't work out. So, here's some ideas I had from back then.

_/_/_/_/

SUBJECT: JOHN SMITH
HEIGHT: 6' 3"
WEIGHT: 206 LBS.
OCCUPATION BEFORE IMPLANTATION: ALLIED PLANETS FLEET COMMANDER
CURRENT HEART RATE: 162 BPM
CURRENT BLOOD PRESSURE: 156 DIA / 92 SYS
RELEASING BIOLOGICAL LOCKS
HEART RATE AND BLOOD PRESSURE DROPPING
STABILIZING...
STABILIZING...
STABILIZING...
CURRENT HEART RATE: 45 BPM
CURRENT BLOOD PRESSURE: 120 DIA / 75 SYS
ALL BLOOD LEVELS WITHIN EXPECTED LEVELS
PROTEAN IMPLANTED CREATION SUCCESSFUL

"Greetings, John Smith. Welcome to your new life."

_/_/_/_/

Forty Annis Stellarum have passed since the greatest discovery so far in human history. At the edges of the Solar system, a few million klicks beyond the orbit of Pluto, a vessel of extraterrestrial origin seemingly abandoned for fifty millennia was found by the nations of Earth. Upon examination, the vessel bore two advancements that propelled humanity towards by centuries. The first one was a viable method for FTL travel in interstellar distances. The second one was the process with which certain implants could be created that would increase human potential and capabilities to superlative levels. These people are called the Implanted, and this is their time.

Welcome to the Age of Ascension.

_/_/_/_/

This is a very early gauging interest thread, in that it might not even bear a game if deemed to be unsuccessful, so be careful actually showing interest.

However, if you do show interest, please feel free to bombard me with questions about the setting, since it is still a work in progress, and you might encourage me with your questions, and even allow me to flesh out something I hadn't considered before.

Basically, this is a mix between Mass Effect and Exalted. It allows for Solars, Lunars, Abyssals and Alchemicals as four types of "Implanted", and Terrestrials as people exposed to a substance called Empodeclium.

Themes and genres that you might find good reference points while asking questions are cyberpunk, Age of Exploration, space western and transhumanity.

Here are a few things to get you started.

1. There are three kinds of Implants that can be created. The oldest of them, and the most common, are known as the Primal Implants. The implants of Primals are modular, usually readily visible and often external. While they do not reach the power levels of the newer Implant types, Primals are still the most common kind of Implants, as well as possessed of a flexibility the others cannot quite match. The second-gen are called Protean Implants. They are capable of reaching extraordinary feats of physical, social and mental prowess by subtly or overtly altering their biological features, which also grants them the capability to polymorph into creatures they have consumed genetic data from. The third-gen implants create two kinds of Implanted. The expected results are called the Optimal Implants, as their implants raise their abilities to superlative levels, allowing them to perform Olympian tasks at their chosen fields. However, when something goes wrong in the creation process of an Optimal Implanted, the Implant-to-be enters a state between vitality and necrosis. The result are the Necrotic Implants, a dark mockery of the Optimal Implanted who are often as capable as Optimals, and exceeding even their capabilities in certain disturbing fields.

2. While technically not Implanted, those exposed to Empodeclium are granted certain capabilities that are beyond the human norm, and tend to be colloquially called Elemental Implanted. It is not known whether the manipulations within the metabolism of the Elementals are hereditary, but research is ongoing. Due to military and bureaucratic commitments, no known Elemental has borne or sired offspring yet.

3. While both the Implants and the FTL vessels in use are extraterrestrial in origin, there are no signs of extant extraterrestrial intelligent life forms in the parts of the Milky Way that are explored by humans. However, the percentage of the galaxy explored is still very low, and it is expected by most nations that first contact is inevitable. Whether it is peaceful or hostile, nobody can guess.

4. The societal role of the Implants depends on the individual Implant. Many are akin to Alchemicals in Autochthonia, content to serving non-Implanted humanity, but there is a considerable number of Implants who consider using their talents to elevate themselves above the rest, kept in check only by the power balance created by their less ambitious fellows. Still, most are simply living the dream of having bona fide superpowers, not committing themselves to a role within the society... yet.

5. Currently, there are fewer than 100000 Implants, with the majority being Primal Implanted and a roughly equal number of Elementals. The military of all interplanetary nations as well as several private corporations have the capability to produce Implants, given resources and candidates.

6. There are three main reasons why Implants aren't much more common.

a) Implantation is expensive. It can easily cripple the economy of a small Earth nation - especially the Optimal Implantation. Therefore, most Implants are the relatively cheaper and less powerful Primal Implants.

b) Implantation is dangerous. Even the hardiest of candidates can suffer from cardiac arrest, brain hemorrhage and other emergency medical problems during the process.

c) Implantation is selective. For a host to be successfully Implanted, he needs to be mentally and physically above the norm, or the Implant won't take hold. Scientists are trying to understand why this is and how everyone can be Implanted successfully, but so far without success.

7. While not necessarily military, most Implants work in governments, though by no means all. All bodies capable of producing Implants are legally bound to report the process to their government's military and science committee, even though it is not necessary to have the consent of either for Implantation. The only common exception are Necrotic Implants, which most private companies are not willing to admit to having created. While technically possible for such companies to "forget" to report a successful Implantation, the legal repercussions tend to prevent such cases from being common.

8. Due to the commonly accepted military methods of Earth before the discovery, creation of Implant-level Close Quarters Combat Forms are still in very early stages. The only exceptions are the "Implant Hero" Styles, Gyro Chakram Assault Techniques and the Live Wire Elimination Forms.

_/_/_/_/

So, I ask you: can we, the White Wolf forum, make this idea work?

Rhyvurg
2010-10-16, 08:23 PM
Actually, I would place Kratos as more of a Fire-Aspect Terrestrial. His power is inherited after all, and a Solar wins by sheer power, a Terrestrial (and Kratos in all his boss fights) has to work for it. And the Blades are supposed to be flaming weapons anyway. All of his powers are element-based in one way or another. The only really "Solar" thing he does is the Fleece, but it's not a perfect defense. I do see him as working towards Celestial martial arts though.

Xefas
2010-10-16, 09:11 PM
Actually, I would place Kratos as more of a Fire-Aspect Terrestrial. His power is inherited after all, and a Solar wins by sheer power, a Terrestrial (and Kratos in all his boss fights) has to work for it. And the Blades are supposed to be flaming weapons anyway. All of his powers are element-based in one way or another. The only really "Solar" thing he does is the Fleece, but it's not a perfect defense. I do see him as working towards Celestial martial arts though.

If we were placing him in a 'type' based on some kind of transparency between the settings, he'd be a Godblooded, as his power comes from being Half-God, the Golden Fleece would be an Artifact, and his special abilities beyond superhuman strength, toughness, and martial prowess would all be boons granted to him by other entities (or just more Artifacts), and not inherent charms or abilities of his own.

And I'm not sure what you mean by Solars not having to work for things? If I recall correctly, they all fought, died, reincarnated, fought, and died again in a cycle of frustrating carnage for hundreds of years to defeat the Primordials. I would call this work.

Jokasti
2010-10-16, 10:04 PM
On Thee Natturre of Thee Allkemikally Ecksalted: Ae Treeateese:
WHY ARE THERE NO RULES FOR PLAYING AS A CITY YET /rage.

tonberrian
2010-10-16, 10:35 PM
On Thee Natturre of Thee Allkemikally Ecksalted: Ae Treeateese:
WHY ARE THERE NO RULES FOR PLAYING AS A CITY YET /rage.

Wait for Compass: Autobot. Then complain when it's not there.

SurlySeraph
2010-10-16, 10:45 PM
Maybe because its tricky to figure out how a city would be able to use certain charms. Like any kind of perfect dodge. Or Thousandfold Courtesan Calculations, though I think Las Vegas can do that as a reflexive action.

Kyeudo
2010-10-16, 11:00 PM
Maybe because its tricky to figure out how a city would be able to use certain charms. Like any kind of perfect dodge. Or Thousandfold Courtesan Calculations, though I think Las Vegas can do that as a reflexive action.

I have trouble thinking about how a city would roll a simple Dexterity + Athletics roll.

Lord Raziere
2010-10-16, 11:02 PM
they'd obviously be cites made out of nano-robotics of course! it explains everything!

FelixG
2010-10-16, 11:35 PM

It mentions something about municipal charms, but i couldn't find them, so perhaps charms that affect everyone in the city to motivate defenders and the like?

Xefas
2010-10-16, 11:38 PM
Aw man, y'know what would be hot? Alchemical Municipal charms with two parts. Normal Exalted Charm Effect + Special Mandate of Heaven Charm Effect.

Though, I was under the impression it was kind of moot anyway. Aren't there not going to be any more Exalted 2nd edition books after that Return of the Scarlet Empress thing that came out? Or is my information wrong (haven't looked into it much)?

Jokasti
2010-10-16, 11:40 PM
CoCD: Autobot is coming out in 3 sections iirc.
Other than that, I think there was one more but I forget.
Hopefully 3rd Edition will have less books, but more info in each.

FelixG
2010-10-16, 11:42 PM

I wouldnt count on it, they wouldnt make much money that way.

Xefas
2010-10-16, 11:43 PM

Ah, okay, cool. So maybe we'll actually get those Colossal and Municipal charms after all.

As far as 3rd edition goes, I'm all for just putting up a donation box and begging The Demented One to let us pay him to write a 3rd edition in his spare time.

Jokasti
2010-10-16, 11:43 PM
As far as 3rd edition goes, I'm all for just putting up a donation box and begging The Demented One to let us pay him to write a 3rd edition in his spare time.

I'd fund that.

Jokasti
2010-10-17, 01:18 AM
Alright, everyone, here's a list of all the Exalted games currently recruited, conveniently located right here:
{table=head]Name|ST|Exalt Types|Description
Empire in the Canyon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171126)|GryffonDurime (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=20959)|Solars, Lunars, Abyssals (PM ST for others)|Nation-building the Empire of Wyrwane.
The Dark Knights (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172015)|Neon Knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=19360)|Solars, Lunars|Celestials protecting the Scarlet Empire
The Scarlet Dawn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172021)|The Rose Dragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=33672)|Celestials and Terrestrials|Scarlet Empress returns. [/table]

Xefas
2010-10-17, 01:39 AM
Alright, everyone, here's a list of all the Exalted games currently recruited, conveniently located right here:

I'm always a little sad when I see a new Exalted game pop up in the pbp forum. I like Exalted (definitely in my top 5 systems), but I've tried pbp formats for many games over the years, and found it, at the very least, frustrating.

Although, if someone were to run something IM or voice based over Skype, I'd be all over that.

...hint hint :smalltongue:

Jokasti
2010-10-17, 01:41 AM
I'm always a little sad when I see a new Exalted game pop up in the pbp forum. I like Exalted (definitely in my top 5 systems), but I've tried pbp formats for many games over the years, and found it, at the very least, frustrating.

Although, if someone were to run something IM or voice based over Skype, I'd be all over that.

...hint hint :smalltongue:

I think GryffonDurime's is going to be here, IM, and Google Wave.
We do have a thriving IM community though.

Xefas
2010-10-17, 02:00 AM
I think GryffonDurime's is going to be here, IM, and Google Wave.
We do have a thriving IM community though.

Oooooo, that game looks interesting. And it's still accepting characters while it has thirteen prospectives? Hmmm...I may have to jump on that.

Good god, then the hardest part comes up. Dusting off the books and choosing what to play. That's one of the biggest problems with Exalted: too much awesome to pick from.

Jokasti
2010-10-17, 02:18 AM
I think he's closing submissions tomor- er, today. So, hurry!

Kyeudo
2010-10-17, 02:25 AM
Good god, then the hardest part comes up. Dusting off the books and choosing what to play. That's one of the biggest problems with Exalted: too much awesome to pick from.

As they say, a random pick from a pile of pure awesome cannot be a bad choice.

golentan
2010-10-17, 02:25 AM
@Rose Dragon: It's an interesting idea, to be sure. But it raises an awful lot of questions.

The first one I come up with is how the heck do you explain iconic animas? I mean, lower displays can be handwaved as radiation as a side-effect of the implant's respiration. But patterned displays get funkier. Caste marks as well, for that matter.

Second, the elemental aspect aspect gets weird. Why on earth (or not) would the classical elements make such a strong showing?

Third, how do you handle limit? Resonance? There has to be some explanation, or you have to do away with them. If they're not there, then a huge amount of menace goes out the window, and since there's no reason (yet) for the primordials to be a threat and no real external dangers.

Fourth, longevity. With new guys coming online, exalted longevity will lead to a metric ton of solars down the line. Otherwise, people are either pretty much capped at essence 5 or you tweak training times and have instant funkiness.

Fifth, magical materials. How do you explain them, or do you just wish them away?

My gut says to say that the implants don't actually do anything themselves, but bring out other traits in their targets. Empodeclium is both a prime ingredient of the implant and a natural psionic booster, acting to awaken latent abilities based on the personality traits of those exposed. By itself it's fairly weak, but when refined and combined with other materials it boosts the yield tremendously, and allows greater control over the resulting mental phenomena. Unfortunately, this also enhances mental instability: more power = more enhancement = more crazy. Alchemicals don't get it because the enhancements aren't intrinsic to their brain, simply attached (leading to clarity/gremlin syndrome when they start overinvesting and actually treating their charms as part of who they are). Magical materials are then the chemical boosters + empodeclium alloyed with metals/plastics/whatever, so that the relevant psionic frequencies treat them as an extension of the mind and body. Iconic animas aren't actually there, but are a psionic manifestation spilling over into the minds of those nearby. It's about as soft science as you can get, but hey, it's exalted. We know MAGIC SCIENCE!!!

Reynard
2010-10-17, 05:35 AM
Empire in the Canyon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171126)|GryffonDurime (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=20959)|Solars, Lunars, Abyssals (PM ST for others)|Nation-building the Empire of Wyrwane.
The Dark Knights (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172015)|Neon Knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=19360)|Solars, Lunars|Celestials protecting the Scarlet Empire
The Scarlet Dawn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172021)|The Rose Dragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=33672)|Celestials and Terrestrials|Scarlet Empress returns. [/table]

You missed Fall of the Realm, there.

Drascin
2010-10-17, 06:00 AM

Perfect Dodge is easy - city blinks out of existence for a moment as the barrages go past and the people climbing the walls fall to the ground, then reappears - while the attackers go "dude, what the hell just happened". A Municipal Perfect Dodge will probably cost a million essence, though, even if it exists :smalltongue:.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-17, 07:34 AM
The first one I come up with is how the heck do you explain iconic animas? I mean, lower displays can be handwaved as radiation as a side-effect of the implant's respiration. But patterned displays get funkier. Caste marks as well, for that matter.

Basically, each Implant patterns itself differently on each Implanted, and they are highly inefficient when it comes to using their energy reserves. Certain displays tend to emerge based on the Implanted when too much energy is wasted, as it bleeds out into the surroundings in a brilliant light show.

Second, the elemental aspect aspect gets weird. Why on earth (or not) would the classical elements make such a strong showing?

It's because of Empodeclium. It has several documented uses, several non-documented ones, and when it does not kill humans that are exposed to it, they get elemental superpowers. Due to ethics committees humanity-wide, you can't quite dissect these humans and see the differences that cause the superpowers.

Third, how do you handle limit? Resonance? There has to be some explanation, or you have to do away with them. If they're not there, then a huge amount of menace goes out the window, and since there's no reason (yet) for the primordials to be a threat and no real external dangers.

Implants, over time, tend to enforce certain behavioral patterns by amplifying or subverting the native personality of the Implanted. Resonance is due to a subversion of the quantum patterns put in place across the universe by the species that created the Implants. Such minor glitches tend to accumulate, and when enough is tied to one Necrotic Implant, it reaches critical mass and causes unfortunate results.

Fourth, longevity. With new guys coming online, exalted longevity will lead to a metric ton of solars down the line. Otherwise, people are either pretty much capped at essence 5 or you tweak training times and have instant funkiness.

It's been only 40 years since Implant technology was found, and 30 years since the first Implant was created. No one knows whether it has any effect on the life expectancies of Implants. As such, they cannot really base any theories on increased longevity. What is known, however, is that the oldest Implants tend to stay in their physical and mental prime for longer than non-Implanted.

Fifth, magical materials. How do you explain them, or do you just wish them away?

Well, the most important thing about magical materials is that there is no known starmetal analogue. Ergo, there is no Starmetal Caste for Primal Implanted, either.

Orichalcum and SUPER!jade are both created by carefully balanced exposure of gold and jade to Empodeclium by the appropriate type of Implant. While it is technically possible for creation of orichalcum and SUPER!jade to be done by non-Implants, it would take too much work and time for it to be feasible.

Moonsilver cannot be created by humans and all extant moonsilver is mined or processed from colonized systems. It was originally found as the greatest percentage of the alien vessel, and is a bioreactive protean material that is classified as a metal simply due to its conductivity and its capacity to be forged.

Soulsteel is a psychoreactive organic material, and can currently only be forged from the remains of those who died from failed Implantation and fatal exposure to Empodeclium. Appropriately enough, Soulsteel Primal Implanted are very rare and still cause some friction from certain factions that are less than utilitarian in their views.

Adamant is a solidified alloy of mercury and titanium exposed to Empodeclium. Since it can be readily created by mortals, it is the most common kind of Primal Implanted as well as the majority of Implant-tech level arsenals and panoplies.

Xefas
2010-10-17, 10:50 PM
I'm having a bit of an issue figuring out Mind Hand Manipulation in regards to Parry DV, if anyone would like to offer insight.

For the stats of Mind Hand Manipulation, it lists a Defense of (Willpower + Occult). The formula for calculating Parry Defense Value is 1/2(Dex + Attack Ability + Defense).

Earlier in the charm, it lists your effective Dexterity for purposes of the charm to be equal to your Willpower, and it lists the "associated ability to use this charm" as Occult.

Taken literally, this sounds like you'd calculate your Parry Defense Value as 1/2(Willpower + Occult + [Willpower + Occult]). Now, I know you aren't supposed to have a base PDV of 15 at Essence 2, so I must be misreading how this charm functions. How does it actually work?

Lord Raziere
2010-10-17, 11:50 PM
As they say, a random pick from a pile of pure awesome cannot be a bad choice.

.....but picking everything in the awesome pile and making in advance a character for all the ideas you have is an better choice! :smallcool:

Kyeudo
2010-10-18, 01:47 AM
I'm having a bit of an issue figuring out Mind Hand Manipulation in regards to Parry DV, if anyone would like to offer insight.

For the stats of Mind Hand Manipulation, it lists a Defense of (Willpower + Occult). The formula for calculating Parry Defense Value is 1/2(Dex + Attack Ability + Defense).

Earlier in the charm, it lists your effective Dexterity for purposes of the charm to be equal to your Willpower, and it lists the "associated ability to use this charm" as Occult.

Taken literally, this sounds like you'd calculate your Parry Defense Value as 1/2(Willpower + Occult + [Willpower + Occult]). Now, I know you aren't supposed to have a base PDV of 15 at Essence 2, so I must be misreading how this charm functions. How does it actually work?

Go with 1/2 (Willpower + Occult), as that's what you can get past a sane Storyteller.

Xefas
2010-10-18, 01:59 AM
Go with 1/2 (Willpower + Occult), as that's what you can get past a sane Storyteller.

That's what I was thinking. The more I read the charm over and over, it seemed like that was what was intended. I just wish they had spelled it out a bit more clearly.

Kyeudo
2010-10-18, 09:30 AM
That's what I was thinking. The more I read the charm over and over, it seemed like that was what was intended. I just wish they had spelled it out a bit more clearly.

This is White Wolf we are talking about.

Jokasti
2010-10-18, 01:38 PM
Someone should make some more Elemental supplements, and a special type of spherical Yasal Chrystal that only works on Elementals.
Exalted Pokemon, anyone?

Urpriest
2010-10-18, 05:38 PM
Someone should make some more Elemental supplements, and a special type of spherical Yasal Chrystal that only works on Elementals.
Exalted Pokemon, anyone?

"I wanna be the very best, like Solars historically were..."

Xefas
2010-10-18, 05:48 PM
Can I get some input on what Principle Invoking Onslaught is intended to accomplish with its Turn-Stuff-Into-Other-Stuff effect?

All it says is "transmutes her corpse to any other matter with a Resource value less than the Infernal's Essence". That seems way too open ended to me.

Assuming Essence 5,
Can it turn a bunny into a Resource 4 bunny made of solid gold?
Can it turn a bunny into a giant Resource 4 pipe organ?
Can it turn a bunny into a chopping sword?
Can it turn a bunny into a chopping sword that is Resource 4 by virtue of its ornate craftsmanship?
Can it turn a bunny into a solid block of Orichalcum valued at Resources 4?
Can it turn a bunny into a solid block of Orichalcum valued at Resources 4 that is already baptized in Vitriol?
Can it turn a bunny into a blob of enough refined Vitriol to baptize an artifact (which happens to be Resource 4)?
Can it turn a chair into all of the above?
Can it turn a chair into a living bunny so rare that it's worth Resource 4?

This confuses me on par with Wyld Shaping Technique.

EDIT:

I lol'd. :smallbiggrin:

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-18, 05:52 PM
All it says is "transmutes her corpse to any other matter with a Resource value less than the Infernal's Essence". That seems way too open ended to me.

Basically, instead of flesh, it becomes another kind of matter, like brass, glass or jade. So, you cannot create a chopping sword or piano without a ridiculous stunt - you can only create bunny statues if you attack a bunny.

Reynard
2010-10-18, 05:53 PM
Can I get some input on what Principle Invoking Onslaught is intended to accomplish with its Turn-Stuff-Into-Other-Stuff effect?

Assuming Essence 5,
Can it turn a bunny into a Resource 4 bunny made of solid gold?
Can it turn a bunny into a giant Resource 4 pipe organ?
Can it turn a bunny into a chopping sword?
Can it turn a bunny into a chopping sword that is Resource 4 by virtue of its ornate craftsmanship?
Can it turn a bunny into a solid block of Orichalcum valued at Resources 4?
Can it turn a bunny into a solid block of Orichalcum valued at Resources 4 that is already baptized in Vitriol?
Can it turn a bunny into a blob of enough refined Vitriol to baptize an artifact (which happens to be Resource 4)?
Can it turn a chair into all of the above?
Can it turn a chair into a living bunny so rare that it's worth Resource 4?

It creates raw materials, you still need Craft in order to turn them into something usefull.

Of course, you can just sell the raw materials for big bucks, but having big bucks isn't very useful most of the time.

EDIT: Bah, Night Caste.

Xefas
2010-10-18, 06:15 PM
That clears stuff up mostly, but I still wonder if it only works on previously living flesh. I mean, if you kill a snake that has been tainted by the Wyld to be made of stone, can you still transmute it? And if you can, would you not be able to just transmute raw stone into raw other stuff?

And aside from that, I'm still not sure what the full scope of Wyld Shaping Technique/Wyld Cauldron is. I may have gotten in over my head with a Defiler character. My previous Exalted characters were a Zenith social-fu master, and a Slayer facebreaker, so this aspect of the game is all new to me.

I appreciate the patience and assistance. :smallsmile:

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-18, 06:26 PM
The full scope of the WST and WCT are "guh please no!" if you don't want to break your ST's mind. They are Charms the setting needs to work, but can easily overhaul a game with an ambitious player.

Other than that, they basically allow you to play god while in the Wyld. You may then be able to carry your creations into, well, Creation.

Xefas
2010-10-18, 06:46 PM
The full scope of the WST and WCT are "guh please no!" if you don't want to break your ST's mind. They are Charms the setting needs to work, but can easily overhaul a game with an ambitious player.

Other than that, they basically allow you to play god while in the Wyld. You may then be able to carry your creations into, well, Creation.

But what if you don't want to break the game, you just like the idea of playing primordial and making combination Brothel/Dance Dance Revolution Arcade/Jewish Delis out of the Wyld so you have a place for your circle to hang out on weekends?

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-18, 06:47 PM
Wait for the inevitable errata?

Seriously, though, I cannot help you. I haven't had much experience with WST that wasn't "oh gods put that Charm away before you put out one of the plot's eyes and / or kidneys".

Kantolin
2010-10-18, 08:29 PM
Man, whenever we play Exalted, our characters tend to be dramatically weaker than seems normal here, even when Solars.

Anyway! One thing has bugged me about exalted for ages: Dual weilding. The only thing I'm aware of about dual weilding is that fire dragon blooded are good at it, and there are a couple charms that lessen the penalties for it. How on earth do you dual weild? What does it do?

This is second edition, if that helps.

(Should I make a new topic for this?)

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-18, 08:30 PM
Anyway! One thing has bugged me about exalted for ages: Dual weilding. The only thing I'm aware of about dual weilding is that fire dragon blooded are good at it, and there are a couple charms that lessen the penalties for it. How on earth do you dual weild? What does it do?

If you have more than one weapon at hand, you can attack with both up to the total of their rate, taking flurry penalties according to the total number of attacks you made. Fire Dragon style reduces the penalties while wielding short daiklaves.

Kantolin
2010-10-19, 12:05 AM
That makes some sense, but how does defense work with that?

Kyeudo
2010-10-19, 01:10 AM

You use the better of the two weapons. Dual Wielding is mostly a stylistic choice.

Jokasti
2010-10-19, 01:28 AM
You use the better of the two weapons. Dual Wielding is mostly a stylistic choice.

Except for when you use that Solar charm to make a two swords out of Essence: one with max damage, and the other with max defense.

Toptomcat
2010-10-19, 02:15 AM
Or, in much more of a corner case, it can also be make when you've got two different unique artifact weapons with synergistic effects.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-19, 04:43 AM

You use the weapon with +10 Defense for defending while smacking people with your one-handed Grand Goremaul.

Duh.

golentan
2010-10-19, 11:19 AM
You use the weapon with +10 Defense for defending while smacking people with your one-handed Grand Goremaul.

Duh.

It's like fighting with a sword and shield, except better because shields suck in exalted and you don't have to worry about stupid things like your sword being able to do anything but crush ze enemy into ze dirt! It is ze ultimate method for ze killink! Soon ve vill place zere heads on spikes, und use zere orphaned children to power ze city mit un gigantic hamster vheel! MUAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm sorry, I needed to ditch some torment. I'm not sure where the bad eastern european accent came from. Too many cold war era B-movies with mad scientists, I suspect.

Anyhoo, variable weapon creation charms/spells + dual wielding can get a wee bit overpowered as a fighting style, though, IME.

Xefas
2010-10-19, 02:55 PM
So, Creation is big. It seems like most cultures are already represented somewhere or another. You have Native Americans, Vikings, Middle East folk, all manner of Asian inspired places, etc.

But is there a place for a cowboy to hang his hat? Where breakfast is grits and dinner is chicken fried steak? Where the Abyssals sing Country Western Music, and every tumbleweed is a Sidereal in disguise? Where the Terrestrial sorcerer-engineers are woooorkin' on the railroad all the live long day, the Infernal Banditos have names like "Billy" and "Jim", and the law in this town wears a badge shaped like the sun?

horngeek
2010-10-19, 02:57 PM
Not... really?

Actually, I don't think there is a direct analogue to any European culture in Creation. Some characters draw on it quite heavily, though.

Toptomcat
2010-10-19, 04:02 PM
So, Creation is big. It seems like most cultures are already represented somewhere or another. You have Native Americans, Vikings, Middle East folk, all manner of Asian inspired places, etc.

But is there a place for a cowboy to hang his hat? Where breakfast is grits and dinner is chicken fried steak? Where the Abyssals sing Country Western Music, and every tumbleweed is a Sidereal in disguise? Where the Terrestrial sorcerer-engineers are woooorkin' on the railroad all the live long day, the Infernal Banditos have names like "Billy" and "Jim", and the law in this town wears a badge shaped like the sun?

I don't know if it's as precise an analogue as you're looking for, but the memetically doomed city of Gem and its surroundings is as close as you're likely to find. It's in the South and is located on top of a firedust mine, so the firearm-analogues of the setting are going to be as common there as they are anywhere. It's near a lot of mountains and desert, sees a lot of mercenary activity (read: banditos if they can't find enough work), it's a very mercenary place where theft (kill the horse-thieves!) is more harshly punished than murder (he done needed killlin' anyhow). It's supplied largely by the Lap's agricultural surplus, which means plenty of caravans going through the desert that need to be protected (circle the wagons!) The Dune People, cannibalistic albino terrors, can serve quite well as the menacing, barbaric Indians that inhabited the classic Western, though not so well as the noble-savage type that tends to be used instead in the modern revisionist Western. The Solar with No Name, inventor of Righteous Devil Style, hails from Gem.

There's a lot of stuff that doesn't fit, but all that can be cheerfully ignored if you set your mind to it. :smallbiggrin:

a_humble_lich
2010-10-19, 04:29 PM
I'd say the Marukan in the East might fit the cowboy idea also: salt of the earth types, value independence, live on isolated ranches, love horses. The book even uses words like "pioneer," "varmint," and "on the range" when describing them. They are said to wear chaps, overalls, and wide brimmed hats. And the circuit riders are basically sheriffs. All they need are more firearm-analogues and Clint Eastwood would fit right in.

Jokasti
2010-10-19, 10:10 PM
What's that? An updated list of current Exalted games, recruiting right now? Yes please.
The Scarlet Dawn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172021)|The Rose Dragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=33672)|Celestials and Terrestrials|Scarlet Empress returns.
The Fall of the Realm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171199)|Sanguine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=44076)|Solar-tier, Lunars|A First Age circle has come together to destroy the Realm. Starts in Meru.
Alchemicals (working title) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172498)|Undecided|Alchemicals|Alc hemicals. Nuff said. [/table]
You're welcome.
APPLY NOW LOYAL AUTOCHTHONIAN CITIZEN

Toptomcat
2010-10-19, 10:21 PM
Damn. Rpg.net has the big reputation for Exalted love, but I don't think I've ever seen that many Exalted games recruiting there over a three-week period, let alone at once.

Xefas
2010-10-19, 10:43 PM
Thank you tomcat, and humble lich for the info. The next Exalted game that starts up for me IRL may have to venture to one of those places.

And also thank you, Jokasti, for the diligent work you do to selflessly benefit us all. :smallwink:

Jokasti
2010-10-19, 10:56 PM
Oh, so selfless. A paragon of selflessness, some might say. A martyr, even.

Kyeudo
2010-10-20, 12:27 AM
Oh, so selfless. A paragon of selflessness, some might say. A martyr, even.

That she's attempting to play in half those games has nothing to do with it at all. :smallwink:

Jokasti
2010-10-20, 12:35 AM
That she's attempting to play in half all those games has nothing to do with it at all. :smallwink:

Fix'd :smallbiggrin:
No, I really do want more people to try Exalted, and applying is the second step after reading the books.

NeoRetribution
2010-10-20, 12:39 AM
What is the collective reaction of a Player demanding that the S.T. make a new type of Exalted?

Also, you are amusing, Jokasti.

Jokasti
2010-10-20, 12:44 AM
What is the collective reaction of a Player demanding that the S.T. make a new type of Exalted?

Also, you are amusing, Jokasti.

A new type of Exaltation, like what Ganurath is doing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171813)?
Or a new type of Exaltation, like, a new Caste or something?

And I try~

NeoRetribution
2010-10-20, 12:57 AM
Yes, like what Ganurath is doing. It is along the lines of the wish or expectation to play a new and different kind of Exalt character. This includes independent castes for that type and flavor to go with it.

Jokasti
2010-10-20, 01:01 AM
Yes, like what Ganurath is doing. It is along the lines of the wish or expectation to play a new and different kind of Exalt character. This includes independent castes for that type and flavor to go with it.

And he's demanding it? Never give in to demands.
If he asks, really nicely, maybe take some time with him to figure out what he wants. What type of characters does he usually take on? You could make it a community project, here, and have a lot of people contribute, or do it yourself to make sure everything is balanced.
Usually Exalt types are aligned with a magical material, so you could do Adamant, and do the Chosen of the Sky or something, I guess.

Xefas
2010-10-20, 01:05 AM
Meh, I guess it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but why? You could play 10,000 rpg campaigns with just bog-standard human characters and still have it be interesting each and every time. Our own, decidedly mundane, world is filled with more drama and intrigue than could ever be consumed in a single lifetime.

An nth new variety of superpower isn't really necessary, and that sort of thing is a lot of work to be 'demanded' of someone.

NeoRetribution
2010-10-20, 01:09 AM
The demand was a friendly one. I should have stated that more clearly.

A community project...unsettles me, but I do believe that there is a kind of prudence which comes from many counselors. Yes, I am aware that types of Exalted attune to those special materials.

The reason that I ask the question is more to gauge whether others have had the same experience and finished with a positive result. It is much work and consideration to make such a thing. I do not mind doing so, but I would like to know if there are any success stories of such.

I would also like to know if there are any pieces of wisdom which were learned through such a process so that I might avoid similar errors.

Additional Edit:
Chosen of The Sky? As in...Manual of Exalted Power: Aerials?

Xefas, I appreciate your opinion. You are exactly correct. But I like to be permissive toward my players.

Kyeudo
2010-10-20, 01:22 AM
Creating your own complete brand of Exalted is a massive, time-consuming process best left to paid professionals and those with no lives. A complete Charm set comprises an average of 200 Charms, with usually three or four Exalt-specific Backgrounds, a smattering of artifacts, and sometimes a subsystem of some sort.

Creating the concept of a type of Exalted and making up only as many Charms as are necessary? It's the work of an afternoon once you have the general idea of what that Exalt type is worked out. You only need about 10-15 Charms to start with, maybe a special Background, and an idea of general power level.

Toptomcat
2010-10-20, 01:27 AM
Creating your own complete brand of Exalted is a massive, time-consuming process best left to paid professionals and those with no lives. A complete Charm set comprises an average of 200 Charms, with usually three or four Exalt-specific Backgrounds, a smattering of artifacts, and sometimes a subsystem of some sort.

Creating the concept of a type of Exalted and making up only as many Charms as are necessary? It's the work of an afternoon once you have the general idea of what that Exalt type is worked out. You only need about 10-15 Charms to start with, maybe a special Background, and an idea of general power level.

The work of an afternoon for Jon Chung or hls, maybe. Designing balanced, functional, interesting Exalted homebrew of any sort is an astoundingly difficult exercise.

Jokasti
2010-10-20, 01:32 AM
Chosen of The Sky? As in...Manual of Exalted Power: Aerials?

I was thinking Manual of Exalted Power: Zephyrs or Empyreans.
As stated above, huge project though. Huge. But rewarding.

a_humble_lich
2010-10-20, 01:36 AM
He didn't say it would be balanced, functional, or interesting, just that you could do it. Since you're creating it for people you know interesting shouldn't be too hard, but it most likely will not be balanced/functional. However, if strict balance is what you're looking for Exalted may not be the game for you anyways :smallsmile:

More seriously, if you do it, be prepared to have balance issues. Best would be to talk to the player before had and get an agreement that you have the power to change the mechanics at any time if you don't think things are working. I'd also recommend learning from the Abyssal book and stealing charms from other Exalted types.

NeoRetribution
2010-10-20, 02:38 AM
Kyeudo, thank you for your advice. The abstract enormity of the request has not escaped me, but it is also nice to have the affirmation.

TomCat: Yes, that is the kind of opinionated answer that my initial question requested.

That is an interesting concept, Jokasti. I think that the matter of the reward is partly on my mind. Constructing something like a separate Exalted type intrigues me. However, I think that what is expected is that such a thing can be completed in one evening or a small few of them. And the reinforcement that it takes time is helpful.

As for interest that is usually not difficult for me. Balance, as a concern, is important...but at this stage a coherent reasoning in the setting itself is a little more important. Also, the idea itself for what kind of Exaltation. Is there another manual along with Abyssal that might serve as helpful for balance?

Kyeudo
2010-10-20, 02:45 AM
Exalts are balanced internally against themselves. Only Solars, Abyssals, and Infernals are cross-balanced against each other, with Solars slightly favored in those matchups due to Holy Charms. Other Exalts are worked towards a particular power level, with Lunars being almost-Solar powerful but with generally shorter term effects, Sidereals being above Terrestrials but below Lunars, and Terrestrials being above only God-Bloods and low Essence spirits in terms of power.

Jokasti
2010-10-20, 03:24 AM
Kyeudo, thank you for your advice. The abstract enormity of the request has not escaped me, but it is also nice to have the affirmation.

TomCat: Yes, that is the kind of opinionated answer that my initial question requested.

That is an interesting concept, Jokasti. I think that the matter of the reward is partly on my mind. Constructing something like a separate Exalted type intrigues me. However, I think that what is expected is that such a thing can be completed in one evening or a small few of them. And the reinforcement that it takes time is helpful.

As for interest that is usually not difficult for me. Balance, as a concern, is important...but at this stage a coherent reasoning in the setting itself is a little more important. Also, the idea itself for what kind of Exaltation. Is there another manual along with Abyssal that might serve as helpful for balance?

I am thinking my initial idea of a community project would be more and more balanced and interesting with many people checking for balance and providing ideas. If you could get someone to do the charms for a specific attribute or ability or virtue, it would go much faster than if you alone did it, with the aforementioned benefits of balance checking, idea providing, and community support.

As Kyeudo said, it really only needs to be balanced with itself, and even then that's iffy. Not many choose charms from Awareness or Stealth unless they fit thematically, but nigh every combatant will have Seven Shadow Evasion.
As long as they are roughly stronger than some and weaker than others, it should be fine.

Drascin
2010-10-20, 11:12 AM
So, you know, I'm realizing I seem to have a massive dislike, irrational perhaps, for Perfect Defenses for some reason. I was drafting a little character concept for the Alchemicals game mentioned in Jokasti's post, and Kyeudo, helpfully, gave me a couple pointers, including the suggestion to get Precalculated defensive Equation, like, yesterday. And I find that my reflex reaction is of disgruntlement and disgust, and of trying to find absolutely any other way to have a decently dodgy swordsman, even if it's horribly convoluted and Charm intensive and would gimp my character from here to Mars, just so I don't have to hide behind the "nope.jpg" button.

This is going to be rather problematic, as Exalted pretty much assumes that everyone that wants to get into combat will get at least one Perfect after a certain point... :smallsigh:

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 11:21 AM
So, you know, I'm realizing I seem to have a massive dislike, irrational perhaps, for Perfect Defenses for some reason. I was drafting a little character concept for the Alchemicals game mentioned in Jokasti's post, and Kyeudo, helpfully, gave me a couple pointers, including the suggestion to get Precalculated defensive Equation, like, yesterday. And I find that my reflex reaction is of disgruntlement and disgust, and of trying to find absolutely any other way to have a decently dodgy swordsman, even if it's horribly convoluted and Charm intensive and would gimp my character from here to Mars, just so I don't have to hide behind the "nope.jpg" button.

This is going to be rather problematic, as Exalted pretty much assumes that everyone that wants to get into combat will get at least one Perfect after a certain point... :smallsigh:

Preaching to the choir, brother.

But yeah, Exalted as a system is so horribly borked that you basically need a perfect defense to survive in most combats after a while. Things like grand goremauls and their 20L damage make sure that you don't want to get hit even by someone who only uses an Excellency to attack you.

Rhyvurg
2010-10-20, 11:35 AM
True. There are various ways to mitigate the need for perfect defenses, like boosting hardness and soak (A certain soulsteel option for celestial battle armor is GREAT at it), but it's to easy to build high-damage combos and you can't rely on your soak to be able to handle it. In the end, in a high-power game all soak does for you is protect you from mortals and force the real threats to use those high-damage (and high cost) combos, which in turn require perfect defenses.

Toptomcat
2010-10-20, 11:51 AM

You *can* play a character that doesn't need to perfect *often*: PDV monsters, DDV monsters, and to a lesser extent soak monsters are possible that will be able to get through a lot of combat situations without needing to perfect, unless against a particular Exalt who makes a habit of using grand goremauls, soul-fall-off, or grand goremauls. You just need to shop around a little for the right artifacts, hearthstones, and Charms.
But yeah, having the ability to perfect is pretty much mandatory to have as a capability after a certain point, even if your combat capabilities center around high passive defenses.

Kyeudo
2010-10-20, 12:16 PM
I've been slowly working my way towards a total revision of Exalted's Charm sets and what not (yes, I am one of those people with no life), and it has become somewhat obvious to me that there is not enough distance between the most basic of defensive Charms and the pinnacle of defense. Shadow Over Water, a very basic DDV refresher, is the only prerequisite for Seven Shadows Evasion, the absolute maximum of defense.

Where's the middle ground, where you can boost your DV greatly enough to be safe in most cases, yet still be vulnerable to someone who pulls out all the stops and gets lucky?

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 12:51 PM
Where's the middle ground, where you can boost your DV greatly enough to be safe in most cases, yet still be vulnerable to someone who pulls out all the stops and gets lucky?

That would be a Dodge Excellency, which is exceeded in efficiency in all regards by a perfect defense.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-20, 12:52 PM

That's called "A Dodge Excellency".

Just like there aren't Melee charms that add dice to your melee attacks - there are excellencies for that.

Maybe perfect defenses should all require an excellency as a prerequisite, though. At least, the ones that don't already.

Kyeudo
2010-10-20, 02:28 PM
That would be a Dodge Excellency, which is exceeded in efficiency in all regards by a perfect defense.

I'm talking about an efficient Charm that would put your defense that high. That way using a Perfect wouldn't always be the best choice of defense.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-20, 02:31 PM
I'm talking about an efficient Charm that would put your defense that high. That way using a Perfect wouldn't always be the best choice of defense.

Well, there are MA charms that increase your DVs. Generally Form charms. Fire Dragon Style is nice for increasing your Dodge.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 02:35 PM

You dodge all attacks you could dodge in the first place for 3 motes. How much more efficient can you get?

Oh, with Refinement of Flowing Shadows, anytime someone attacks you more than twice in one tick, you can get even more efficient by spending 3 more motes.

Tavar
2010-10-20, 02:37 PM
Which is the problem with that charm. Of course, that means you either aren't using other charms, or are using a combo, but still, that seems a bit too mote efficient.

Reynard
2010-10-20, 02:45 PM
Ebon Shadow Form is nice for DV increasing.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 02:57 PM
There is also the Art of Meditative Discussion, which allows you to raise your DV by your Temperance rating... twice.

The downside is that one of the Charms is a Form-type Charm, and the other requires you to not attack anyone.

Kyeudo
2010-10-20, 02:58 PM
You dodge all attacks you could dodge in the first place for 3 motes. How much more efficient can you get?

Oh, with Refinement of Flowing Shadows, anytime someone attacks you more than twice in one tick, you can get even more efficient by spending 3 more motes.

Let's talk less of existing Charms and more about possibilities. Let's say that a Dodge Charm exists that adds your Essence directly to your Dodge DV against one attack for half the cost of Seven Shadows Evasion. That's a pretty hefty bonus to your Dodge DV, enough to make it extremely unlikely that your opponent will hit unless he's using an Excellency to pump his attack roll. Let's also say that this Charm is not obvious, so using it doesn't tell your opponent that you used it, just that he missed.

With this Charm in your arsenal, you now have a reason to use something other than a perfect every action. If you either know your opponent can't or won't inflate his attack, you can save motes, thereby outlasting him. Even if you are only guessing, being right gets you ahead in the mote attrition race.

Xefas
2010-10-20, 03:01 PM
What about Reed in the Wind and Lightspeed Body Dynamics? They're both permanent charms. The first adds half the attacker's essence to your dodge whenever you don't use a perfect, and the second gives you half the attacker's essence in motes every time you dodge without using a perfect.

You'll probably still want to hang onto your perfect for those occasions where the First and Forsaken Lion has you in a Full Nelson and Ligier is about to finish you off with the People's Elbow, but it makes it useful to consider not perfecting against lesser threats.

Reynard
2010-10-20, 03:02 PM
Let's talk less of existing Charms and more about possibilities. Let's say that a Dodge Charm exists that adds your Essence directly to your Dodge DV against one attack for half the cost of Seven Shadows Evasion. That's a pretty hefty bonus to your Dodge DV, enough to make it extremely unlikely that your opponent will hit unless he's using an Excellency to pump his attack roll. Let's also say that this Charm is not obvious, so using it doesn't tell your opponent that you used it, just that he missed.

With this Charm in your arsenal, you now have a reason to use something other than a perfect every action. If you either know your opponent can't or won't inflate his attack, you can save motes, thereby outlasting him. Even if you are only guessing, being right gets you ahead in the mote attrition race.

Ebon Shadow Form.

Martial Arts to Join Battle pool, Essence to Stealth and Dodge DV. 5 Motes, but scene long.

Kyeudo
2010-10-20, 03:11 PM
What about Reed in the Wind and Lightspeed Body Dynamics? They're both permanent charms. The first adds half the attacker's essence to your dodge whenever you don't use a perfect, and the second gives you half the attacker's essence in motes every time you dodge without using a perfect.

Ug, Ink Monkies Charms. The Ink Monkies obey Sturgeon's Law far too often and attack the percieved problems like a band-aid instead of a surgeon. They try and make it look better instead of curing the underlying problem.

If it isn't clear, I don't like the Ink Monkies.

Ebon Shadow Form.

Martial Arts to Join Battle pool, Essence to Stealth and Dodge DV. 5 Motes, but scene long.

Form type Charms have this glaring weakness: either you walk onto the scene obviously spoiling for a fight or you give everyone a one action window to hit you with anything and everything they can find. That's why they are typically so strong.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 03:12 PM

I'm not a big fan of their work, either, but come on, at least spell their name right.

Cause when someone says Ink Monkies, I think of book-writing djala monks. And that's terrible.

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-20, 03:24 PM
Uhm, hey guys. New Exalted player here. My first game starts on Thursday. :smallbiggrin: I'm playing a God-Blooded in an all-exalt party. >>; Suicide, maybe, but I want to play for fun. Any advice? I'm currently trying to figure out a cool power for the four-dot Daiklaive my ST's letting me start with.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 03:25 PM
You want advice?

Exalt. As soon as possible. :smalltongue:

Toptomcat
2010-10-20, 03:30 PM
Ug, Ink Monkies Charms. The Ink Monkies obey Sturgeon's Law far too often and attack the percieved problems like a band-aid instead of a surgeon. They try and make it look better instead of curing the underlying problem.

Come now, be fair. They seem to me like extremely capable game designers, it's just that they haven't been given license to write Exalted 3e. When given the opportunity to do a wholesale rewrite of some material- see their Glories errata- they typically do manage to do an excellent and cohesive job of it. They're working with what they've got, and if they proceed by inches rather than by leaps and bounds it's because of the limits placed upon them, not their own failings.

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-20, 03:31 PM
You want advice?

Exalt. As soon as possible. :smalltongue:

:smalltongue: That's up to my ST. Personally, I'm fine with just godhood.

a_humble_lich
2010-10-20, 03:37 PM
Mattarias, if you can't Exalt some other thoughts.:
1. Try to specialize in things the Exalts cannot do. God Bloods can get dematerialization charms right? If there are no Sidereals in the group, you can get contacts in Heaven that could be useful.

2. You won't be as strong in combat as a dedicated Exalt. You should be able to fight mortals, but if a solar gets mad at you, run like hell.

Edit: To make it sound less snarky and mean.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-20, 03:37 PM
:smalltongue: That's up to my ST. Personally, I'm fine with just godhood.

Well then, be prepared to suck compared to everyone else and never get above Essence 4.

Exalts can dematerialise too.

a_humble_lich
2010-10-20, 03:43 PM
Exalts can dematerialise too

But (at least to my knowledge) not as easily as God-bloods. I don't know of anyways other than an Eclipse learning from a God, although I don't claim to know all the charms everybody gets.

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-20, 03:43 PM
Mattarias, more sensible advice:
1. Try to specialize in things the Exalts cannot do. God Bloods can get dematerialization charms right? If there are no Sidereals in the group, you can get contacts in Heaven that could be useful.

2. You won't be as strong in combat as a dedicated Exalt. You should be able to fight mortals, but if a solar gets mad at you, run like hell.

:smallredface: Eheh... Thanks, but...

1) Due to my backstory, Heaven's a leeeeeetle mad at me and my sire.

2) Son of a god of fire and war. Also valor 4. As smart as it would be to run, it wouldn't make sense in-character. Fortunately, I have a lunar buddy with ridiculous amounts of soak to get in the way. >>;

Well then, be prepared to suck compared to everyone else and never get above Essence 4.

Exalts can dematerialise too.

:smalltongue: Someone's an optimist. ST's already said that if I ever hit godhood, he's handwaving the whole bureaucracy thing gods need to advance. But eh, yeah, I guess.

Toptomcat
2010-10-20, 03:45 PM
You could beg your GM for the Mangle of Brigid and make a pretty damned impressive sorcerer if nobody else in the group is being sorcerous. Emerald Circle is nothing to Glorious Solar [Sneeze] at.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 03:45 PM
But (at least to my knowledge) not as easily as God-bloods. I don't know of anyways other than an Eclipse learning from a God, although I don't claim to know all the charms everybody gets.

Much more easily, to be honest, since they get more motes. Lunars have their own dematerializing Charm, in fact.

You could beg your GM for the Mangle of Brigid and make a pretty damned impressive sorcerer if nobody else in the group is being sorcerous. Emerald Circle is nothing to Glorious Solar [Sneeze] at.

Achoo! Achoo! Achoo!

((Yes. Yes it is.))

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-20, 03:46 PM
And absolutely anyone could sell their soul to Cecelyn to learn her dematerialising charm...

Reynard
2010-10-20, 03:48 PM

Godblooded can be very very good at combat, at essence levels* around 2-4. All they really lack is a Perfect Attack.

If you take a couple of copies of the God-Body mutation, you can send your Physical attributes into the stratosphere, easily achieving a charmless dice pool of well over 20 dice. Screw the lack of a Perfect Attack, nearly anyone will need to PD in order to defend against that anyway.

Plus some Spirit charms are just made of solidified Win.

*Not really a good indication, I know.

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-20, 03:49 PM
:smallconfused: I do plan on learning Sorcery eventually, but it's far too expensive to do at character creation. At least, with how I've set things up.

Basically, I want to set things on fire. And do it awesomely. :smallamused: I figure sorcery has a lot of that.

Edit: :smallbiggrin: Yes. I have God Body twice. It rocks. Though I'm unsure if it raises your stats past five if you have enough dots. I've taken Legendary strength in order to deal with the extra dot I get, just in case.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-20, 03:50 PM
Not really. I mean, sure, there are spells for setting things on fire, but not that many.

I can only think of one, actually.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 03:52 PM
I can only think of one, actually.

There is Flight of the Brilliant Raptor, in Terrestrial Circle. And then there is...

I've got nothing.

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-20, 03:54 PM
There is Flight of the Brilliant Raptor, in Terrestrial Circle. And then there is...

I've got nothing.

<<; That's mostly what I wanted. I've got this whole phoenix motif going on, so it'd be perfect.

For sorcery, do I have to take something to be able to learn it, or do I just take a spell like a charm? :smallconfused:

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 03:56 PM
<<; That's mostly what I wanted. I've got this whole phoenix motif going on, so it'd be perfect.

For sorcery, do I have to take something to be able to learn it, or do I just take a spell like a charm? :smallconfused:

You have to take the initiation Charm.

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-20, 03:57 PM
You have to take the initiation Charm.

Aye-aye. Thanks. Sorcery is one of the only few things I'm still confused about.

Edit: Dinner time, looks like. :smallredface: Sorry for being so rude. I'll be back in a bit, more than likely.

Toptomcat
2010-10-20, 04:12 PM
There is Flight of the Brilliant Raptor, in Terrestrial Circle. And then there is MAGMA KRAKEN

Fixed that for you.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 04:15 PM
Fixed that for you.

Magma Kraken is Celestial Circle. For practical purposes, God-blooded cannot wield spells of the Celestial Circle.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-20, 04:21 PM
Although if and when he ascends to godhood, he can. Eventually.

Toptomcat
2010-10-20, 04:25 PM
Magma Kraken is Celestial Circle. For practical purposes, God-blooded cannot wield spells of the Celestial Circle.

I was still working under my 'beg GM for the MoB' assumption.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 04:26 PM
I was still working under my 'beg GM for the MoB' assumption.

The Mantle is a N/A Artifact, though. You need much more than begging.

Something like "promise to pay his share of the pizza for the rest of his life, even when he's not STing".

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-20, 05:08 PM
:smallbiggrin: I forgot about MAGMA KRAKEN!

Heheheh. But yeah, here's to hoping I'll be able to learn it eventually.

I'm pretty much all set on artifacts, so that mantle is VERY likely out of the question. Though I have an extra dot I need to spend, which I'm debating between putting into my reinforced buff jacket, or into a minor mutation or merit.

And I still need to figure out a good power for my awesome Daiklaive. I'm thinking possibly just a ranged fiery slash or something.. Though that seems bland.

Mmm, double attunement. :smallamused::smalltongue::smallannoyed:

Edit: Should I just post up my sheet, see what you guys think of it? :smallconfused:

Toptomcat
2010-10-20, 06:03 PM
The Mantle is a N/A Artifact, though. You need much more than begging.

Something like "promise to pay his share of the pizza for the rest of his life, even when he's not STing".

Or 'Play a God-blooded in a Celestial-tier game'. That's the sort of thing that should get you some slack cut to you.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 07:16 PM
Or 'Play a God-blooded in a Celestial-tier game'. That's the sort of thing that should get you some slack cut to you.

There is always the possibility of Exalting, though. If you give him a N/A artifact, it's like saying "no, you ain't gonna Exalt, ever".

horus42
2010-10-21, 04:13 PM
Exalted Pokemon, anyone?

Oddly enough, I sent this message to my players through Facebook just the other day... (Spoilered for length.)

So I'm going to pitch a new idea for an Exalted campaign at you, so tell me if you like it:

A Twilight Caste Solar has invented a device termed a "Jade Sphere of Elemental Containment", a sphere composed of red and white Jade that can hold an Elemental or other lesser spirit (such as a ghost) within. The Twilight then mass produced the spheres,and this has caused a new sport to arise. It is now considered cool and fashionable for Exalts to keep teams of up to six Elementals on their person within the spheres, and to make them fight for the Exalt's amusement. (If this is starting to sound familiar, it's supposed to.) In an attempt to diversify, thousands of Elementals were imported from Autochtonia, as a way for Elemental Trainers to have a more wide variety of types to obtain.

As an Exalt who's new to the sport, can you defeat the leaders of the 8 Dojos scattered throughout the corners of Creation? Can you defeat the 4 Immaculate Masters on the Blessed Isle itself, becoming the best the sport has ever seen? And throughout all this, can you stop the evil (insert Exalted-sounding name for Team Aqua here), led by the mad Dragon-Blood, Arch over Dark Waters, from awakening the Greater Elemental Dragon of Water and flooding all of Creation?

Yes. It's Pokémon. And Exalted. Together.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-21, 04:28 PM
I want to play this game.

Now.

Kylarra
2010-10-21, 04:31 PM
I am scared or shocked but mostly intrigued.

Thelas
2010-10-21, 04:55 PM
I want to play this game.

Now.
Quoted to indicate assent in a fashion typically accompanied with some sort of pun or random one-line thing to meet the character limit.

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-21, 05:01 PM
:smallbiggrin: I am so cool with Exalted pokemon. You could likely capture some Wyld creatures too, for extra fun.

Sidenote, I think I'll just have my sword let me used Blessed Solar Bolt, or whatever it's called. ST said it was cool.

Urpriest
2010-10-21, 05:06 PM

To catch them is my real test, perfect defenses are a blur...
I will travel across Creation, searching far and wide,
Each Elemental, to understand, from Essence one to five...

Elementals! (Gotta catch 'em)
It's you and me,
I've got five points in Destiny,
Elementals!
Ooh, you're my Circlemates,
In a world that's ruled by Fate...
Our Compassion high,
Hope our Valor doesn't make us die,
You teach me, fill my training time,
Elementals!

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-21, 05:09 PM
To catch them is my real test, perfect defenses are a blur...
I will travel across Creation, searching far and wide,
Each Elemental, to understand, from Essence one to five...

It's you and me,
I've got five points in Destiny,
Elementals!
Ooh, you're my Circlemates,
In a world that's ruled by Fate...
Our Compassion high,
Hope our Valor doesn't make us die,
You teach me, fill my training time,
Elementals!

I... I think I love you.

In other news, if this happens, it should be able to capture Third Circle Demons too. :smalltongue:

horus42
2010-10-21, 07:27 PM
Wow... That'll show me for making a post real quick before I have to leave for a few hours. Anyway, I don't think I really have time to ST a pbp campaign here, so if one of you wants to borrow the idea, you have my full support/permission. And it should totally work on demons too. Makes a great analogue for the Dark-Type.

horngeek
2010-10-22, 04:40 AM
I... I think I love you.

In other news, if this happens, it should be able to capture Third Circle Demons too. :smalltongue:

And, of course, the Kukla would be the Legendary Elemental. :smalltongue:

horus42
2010-10-22, 10:10 AM
I think it would depend on which "version" you were playing. I was going with Sapphire, but if you're going with the Kukla, you'd need to come up with Exalted-sounding names for Maxie and Team Magma.

Either one would work just as well, though.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-23, 01:55 PM
Attention, dueli-STs! My hair is looking for someone to let me play my baby Zenith or Twilight! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173077)

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-23, 04:12 PM
:smallconfused: Uhm, here's a question- Regarding the thread's title, why ISN'T there a god for sorcery?

...And on that note, Fire Magic seems like a good portfolio to take over, if the position's empty. :smallamused: (Maybe even if it's not.)

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-23, 04:15 PM
There's no God of Sorcery because Sorcery isn't part of Creation's actual design. Sorcery is really the domain of the Primordials - it was just hijacked by Brigid.

And "Fire Magic" as a domain makes no sense - fire already is magic. Everything is magic. Magic isn't special.

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-23, 04:22 PM
Aaahh. >>; Well dang. Oh well. Didn't know that.

More questions! Is it possible to wear artifact armor and just not attune to it? :smallconfused: I'm already committing 20 out of 47 motes to my sword, so.. Yeah...

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-23, 04:25 PM
More questions! Is it possible to wear artifact armor and just not attune to it? :smallconfused: I'm already committing 20 out of 47 motes to my sword, so.. Yeah...

20 motes? That sword better be the Sword of Creation or something, cause no 5-dot artifact is worth committing 20 motes to. 10, at best.

And no, to wear artifact armor, you have to attune to it, because it is otherwise too unbalanced, since artifact armor is in all ways superior to non-artifact armor. Attunement is the balancing cost.

horngeek
2010-10-23, 04:33 PM
...I find myself wanting to play a Project Exalted game.

Anyone else interested in such a thing?

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-23, 04:34 PM
...I find myself wanting to play a Project Exalted game.

...define Project Exalted. Do we create our own Exalts or something?

horngeek
2010-10-23, 04:40 PM
Sorry. What I mean is the Project: Exalt mentioned in the core rulebook Storytelling chapter.

Think The Slayers anime.

Reynard
2010-10-23, 04:44 PM
Project: Exalt is a lighthearted, goofy take on the Exalted setting. Perhaps the characters are all teenagers in a Gold Faction academy or must bring a Deathlord’s incursion to a halt by finding him a worthy date for an exclusive ball in Yu-Shan. This style doesn’t take much of anything seriously and is mostly played for laughs. The Slayers anime is a good example of this style.

I see.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-23, 04:45 PM
I don't watch anime. :smalltongue:

Though looking at it, I don't think I'd be interested. I'm more drawn to serious games, with considerations of morality and consequences of actions that were intended to make Creation better (unless we're Abyssals) or such.

I think the only non-serious game I could really join is a game where Sidereals or Dragon-blooded actually matter.

Tee hee. Sidereals actually mattering. That's a funny joke.

horngeek
2010-10-23, 04:47 PM
Darn. :smalltongue:

I dunno, I just figure I'd like to play a game that doesn't take itself seriously for once.

Jokasti
2010-10-23, 04:54 PM

I dunno, I just figure I'd like to play a game that doesn't take itself seriously for once.

KoC style Fae, anyone?

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-23, 04:55 PM
20 motes? That sword better be the Sword of Creation or something, cause no 5-dot artifact is worth committing 20 motes to. 10, at best.

Well, My ST and I were upgrading my 2-dot sword to a 4-dot, and from what we could figure out from Oadenol's Codex, a 4 dot artifact should need a committing of 10 motes. Myself, not being an exalt, I have to double-attune to an artifact made out of the five magical materials, hence 20 motes.

It's statline is:

Speed: 4 Defense 2
Acc: 3 Damage: 16L/5L
Rate: 5 Overwhelming, Piercing.
Attunement: 10, activated: 6: Blazing Solar Bolt (ST modified, unsure on the details.)

And no, to wear artifact armor, you have to attune to it, because it is otherwise too unbalanced, since artifact armor is in all ways superior to non-artifact armor. Attunement is the balancing cost.

Alright, good point.

I'll likely be late with my next reply, sorry about that. But.. Yeah.

Kylarra
2010-10-23, 04:59 PM
I'd just opt to save myself 10 motes and not get the bonus for the magical materials honestly. Or make it out of some handwavium jade alloy made specifically for godblooded.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-23, 05:02 PM
Well, My ST and I were upgrading my 2-dot sword to a 4-dot, and from what we could figure out from Oadenol's Codex, a 4 dot artifact should need a committing of 10 motes. Myself, not being an exalt, I have to double-attune to an artifact made out of the five magical materials, hence 20 motes.

It's statline is:

Speed: 4 Defense 2
Acc: 3 Damage: 16L/5L
Rate: 5 Overwhelming, Piercing.
Attunement: 10, activated: 6: Blazing Solar Bolt (ST modified, unsure on the details.)

That's not really a 4-dot artifact. It is a very powerful 3-dot one (possibly too powerful to exist). At 4-dot, you shouldn't get more powerful than a grand goremaul in pure stats, which this is. Instead, you should add on interesting things. This is not interesting.

Also, you only have to pay double to attune to magical material bonuses or powers too tied to the magical material associations.

Xefas
2010-10-23, 05:08 PM

If I was a little more confident I could pull off Storytelling via internet for a prolonged period of time, I'd totally run a sillier game.

I'm thinking Malfeas Washington High School. 9th grade would be 1st circle demons, 10th would be stronger 1st circles and weaker 2nd circles, 11th would be the stronger 2nd circles, and the 3rd circles are the seniors.

Now welcoming 50 new freshman exchange students from Creation.

Here, the Principal is the school.

Here, it takes a 5 hour trek through the desert to walk to and from school every morning and afternoon, so you have to get up at 3am every morning to make the first bell.

Here, High School (and by association, puberty) can last up to 60 years.

Here, if you fall asleep in Professor Kimbery's class, she'll make you swim laps. In Her.

Only the might of the Infernal Exaltations can prepare you for sleepless nights you'll suffer at the hands of She Who Lives In Her Name's painfully complicated grading algorithm, much less the homework itself, as well as the atomic wedgies you'll undoubtedly incur from Ligier, quarterback of the Blood Bowl team, and the mocking laughter of the cheerleading squad, the notes of which have been known to materialize into razorblades and sheer flesh from bone.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-23, 05:15 PM
Here, if you fall asleep in Professor Kimbery's class, he'll make you swim laps. In Him.

Kimbery is female, silly.

Xefas
2010-10-23, 05:18 PM
Kimbery is female, silly.

I think you're thinking of Kimberly, Kimbery's gender-confused alter ego. :smalltongue: Hehe, sorry, I'll go fix that.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-23, 05:36 PM
If I was a little more confident I could pull off Storytelling via internet for a prolonged period of time, I'd totally run a sillier game.

I'm thinking Malfeas Washington High School. 9th grade would be 1st circle demons, 10th would be stronger 1st circles and weaker 2nd circles, 11th would be the stronger 2nd circles, and the 3rd circles are the seniors.

Here, it takes a 5 hour trek through the desert to walk to and from school every morning and afternoon, so you have to get up at 3am every morning to make the first bell.

Here, if you fall asleep in Professor Kimbery's class, she'll make you swim laps. In Her.

Only the might of the Infernal Exaltations can prepare you for sleepless nights you'll suffer at the hands of She Who Lives In Her Name's painfully complicated grading algorithm, much less the homework itself, as well as the atomic wedgies you'll undoubtedly incur from Ligier, quarterback of the Blood Bowl team, and the mocking laughter of the cheerleading squad, the notes of which have been known to materialize into razorblades and sheer flesh from bone.

I would unironically play this.

tonberrian
2010-10-23, 08:02 PM

This seems appropriate. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjF8okzXSiY)

Tavar
2010-10-23, 10:05 PM
I would unironically play this.

Same, though not having any of the Demon/Infernal Books would be a bit of a problem.

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-23, 11:29 PM
I'd just opt to save myself 10 motes and not get the bonus for the magical materials honestly. Or make it out of some handwavium jade alloy made specifically for godblooded.

It's red jade. It's the closest we could find to fire. ST is cool with it, I'm cool with it. S'alright.

That's not really a 4-dot artifact. It is a very powerful 3-dot one (possibly too powerful to exist). At 4-dot, you shouldn't get more powerful than a grand goremaul in pure stats, which this is. Instead, you should add on interesting things. This is not interesting.

Also, you only have to pay double to attune to magical material bonuses or powers too tied to the magical material associations.

I couldn't really think of anything more interesting than your standard anime long-range slash effect, but yeah, good point. ST thinks the stats are fine otherwise, we're just trying to figure out a good ability before Thursday, which is when our first game is. So, uhm.. Yeah.. Any fire-themed suggestions would be appreciated.

NeoRetribution
2010-10-24, 01:04 AM
Hand-wavium. Part of Creation's complete breakfast.

All this talk of silly and anime has reminded me of a conversation. Five plumbers invading Exalted's version of Bowser's castle manse network to relieve mechanical constipation...while facing legions of Koopas, flame weaponry, and a princess obsessed with the color pink.

Strangely this was a generic What Game Should We Run Next discussion.

On Topic:
Mattarias, artifacts are things that normal items can not be. For instance, can your sword sing in four part harmony? Can it give advice about skin complexion? Does the sword try to psychologically sympathize with every opponent you face?

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-24, 11:01 AM
Mattarias, artifacts are things that normal items can not be. For instance, can your sword sing in four part harmony? Can it give advice about skin complexion? Does the sword try to psychologically sympathize with every opponent you face?

:smallconfused: Hm. Good things to think about...

...<<; I'm tempted to ask if it could turn into a guitar that lets me, say, use the power of Metal to deflect bullets and shatter things. But that would be taking the less-serious route with my character..

It's name is Burning Tempest, if it helps. Here's a rough picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/fiery25123/Burning_Tempest_WIP.png It's supposed to be a sword made by my father, a fiery war god (I have inheritance 5, so according to that, he's pretty powerful.) and passed down to me, so I may assume his throne later on. So.. Yeah.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-24, 11:24 AM
It's supposed to be a sword made by my father, a fiery war god (I have inheritance 5, so according to that, he's pretty powerful.) and passed down to me, so I may assume his throne later on. So.. Yeah.

If he is Inheritance 5, his father is on the same Essence level as the Incarnae, which no little god should be. You might want to rethink your character.

NeoRetribution
2010-10-24, 11:57 AM
I like that sword design. The structure of it is interesting.

Xefas
2010-10-24, 01:24 PM
If he is Inheritance 5, his father is on the same Essence level as the Incarnae, which no little god should be. You might want to rethink your character.

Rose is right. If you have Inheritance 5, your dad is the kind of deity that beats up Old Testament God for his lunch money. Odin and Ares together go on epic quests to find ancient artifacts that they might attempt to wrestle his big toe into submission. He would be less "a fiery war god" as he would be "The God of All Violence In Every Form And That Fire Thing Too".

Actually, have you considered being the progeny of the Maiden of Battle? She's Essence 10, and already a pre-established lady, so lots of material to work with.

Jokasti
2010-10-24, 02:17 PM
The Scarlet Dawn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172021)|The Rose Dragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=33672)|Celestials and Terrestrials|Scarlet Empress returns.
For Maker and Kamak! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172674)|Ganurath|Alchemicals|A group of Alchemicals must work to defend the nation of Kamak. [/table]
Updated Current Games Recruiting List

Xefas
2010-10-24, 02:37 PM
Updated Current Games Recruiting List

The link to "For Maker and Kamak!" actually links to the old thread. Here is the new thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172674)

Jokasti
2010-10-24, 02:41 PM
Thanks.
Fix'd.

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-24, 08:21 PM
Nah, my ST pretty much had me take Inheritance 5, to try keeping up with the rest of the group. I like my current backstory, though now that you say I've been terribly underestimating him, I guess I might have to rethink things a bit. Here's my current backstory, ST-approved:

In the South, farther into the elemental pole of fire than any man, mortal or exalt, could hope to tread, amidst the chaos and the flames that could melt the stars, lies a kingdom, seemingly untouched by the Wyld's insanity. This kingdom, with towers of bronze, glass, and the reddest of jade, is ruled over not by a man, but a god. Madness gnaws at his mind as he sits upon his burning throne, repelling the encroachment upon his domain with his games of war.

Long ago has fate left him and his progeny. His kingdom was once great, spiraling outward in the burning deserts of southern Creation. But then they came.
The fae, those miserable, soul-stealing beings of chaos incarnate. In their crusade to shrink the world's borders, the Southkingdom of Syr'ana fell into their domain. But not without a fight.
With his great power, the Burning King encircled and esorcelled his mighty castle and all that surrounded it with holy fire. Most chaotic of the elements, it was unaffected by the reality-bending powers of the Wyld, and its holy nature repelled and incinerated the evil of what fae dared approach it.

Every few centuries, however, the fiery lord's domain drifts out of the wyld, back into Creation's fold.
When this happens, the King is free to leave his realm. He wanders the world, seeking battle in all the forms and places it can be found, favoring what side he finds the most righteous- From the smallest peasant uprising, to world-changing wars.
These upheavals naturally disrupt the Loom of Fate, and the agents of heaven hound him wherever he appears.

His wandering is single-minded, however. Unfailingly, he finds a queen with blood strong enough to bear him an heir. They live together happily, but in sadness, for the King knows that she cannot survive childbirth.
From the bloody ashes of his mother, the Prince is born, bearing his father's crimson hair and eyes. The King raises his child, giving him his own name, and teaching him the arts of swordsmanship and war.

Finally, when the young prince comes of age, his father disappears, leaving him with only his sword and the command to grow strong enough to follow. To assume the throne.
...Twice thus far has a King fallen to Sidereal assassins, but the story continues.

------

This Prince, a Mattarias with no last name to call his own, looks down upon a small town and sighs. Forgotten by fate, perhaps, but he will not let Creation forget him. "I'll leave my mark blazing in your forehead if I have to!" he declared, grasping at the sun.
A scream caught his ear. Faster than a thought, he drew his burning brand and leapt off the roof.
"Someday." He thought.

My mother being the maiden of battles might be interesting though...

I like that sword design. The structure of it is interesting.

Thank you. :smallsmile: I like the whole phoenix motif, so I went with that as elegantly as I could with a giant sword.

Here's another idea for its powers: It can set anything you slash at on fire, and lets you "jump" through those fires, like mini portals, letting you kinda spring-attack or something? I dunno, might be cool.

EDIT: So, I just spoke with my ST, he said my first ancestor would have been "The Spark That Ignites All War", who would have possibly courted the Maiden of Battles at some point. But anyways, he would've been originally the first god of fire and war, (specifically of starting wars, I suppose. Also using fire IN war...) but ever since his separation from Creation, a replacement has been found, and HE is the one sending the Sidereals after my family. I don't know this, of course, but my ST says he has cool things planned.

As for my sword, he also drew up a quick idea of basically "every time you attack with this sword, it attacks AGAIN, with MORE FIRE. Also it might lower DV or something." So... Yeah.

Thoughts?

Terraoblivion
2010-10-25, 07:10 AM
If both your parents are gods, then you aren't godblooded but a god yourself. Just saying.

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-25, 08:14 AM
If both your parents are gods, then you aren't godblooded but a god yourself. Just saying.

Yes, but that would be back a few generations, not my father himself. This story spans a good several centuries.

Delusion
2010-10-25, 08:18 AM
Yes, but that would be back a few generations, not my father himself. This story spans a good several centuries.

Grandma Mars? xD

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-25, 08:19 AM
Grandma Mars? xD

<<; Preeeeetttty much, I guess, yeah. Though I would toss in a few "great"s in there...

ST said it might be amusing.

Friv
2010-10-25, 08:52 AM
<<; Preeeeetttty much, I guess, yeah. Though I would toss in a few "great"s in there...

ST said it might be amusing.

Well, if your father was a powerful god, and your mother was a powerful god-blood, it works out to Inheritance 5.

As far as the artifact, a daiklave that allows for short-distance teleportation through fires would certainly work. Slap a range on it, and you're good to go.

NeoRetribution
2010-10-25, 11:31 AM
Grandmother Mars. Hilarious!

"Your Grandma's always getting lost in the woods!"

"Oh yeah? Well your Grandma wears army boots! So nyah!"

On Topic:
Teleportation through flames is interesting for an artifact since any red hot blade can set something on fire. And if your S.T. lets you do that good for both of you, but instant transmission between flames does not quite have the flavor of something...say...screaming the Thousand Upright Actions during battle. Or turning all the blood spilled onto the blade into red ash.

In the end, Mattarias, not all of the fun comes from numbers. Some of it comes from neat special effects. Good luck with it.

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-25, 11:48 AM
:smallbiggrin: I must say, the idea of Grandma Mars is growing on me..

Dunno anything about my mother, but I guess that's a good thing for my ST to spring on me.

Teleportation through flames is interesting for an artifact since any red hot blade can set something on fire. But still instant transmission between flames does not quite have the flavor of something...say...screaming the Thousand Upright Actions during battle.

Or turning all the blood spilled onto the blade into red ash.

:smallbiggrin: I like it! Or maybe actual fire. I have a charm to control that... Gotta run this by the ST when he's around. Yay for college bringing people close together.

In the end, Mattarias, not all of the fun comes from numbers. Some of it comes from neat special effects. Good luck with it.

True, very true. Like I said, still working on it.

..Sidenote, my ST has said I could take a five point version of Enemy: Replacement War God. It sounds good and all, but I'm a bit.. Wary. :smallconfused:

Edit: Which leaves me with 6 extra points! Agh! What to do...

Jokasti
2010-10-26, 01:09 AM
So, in addition to the current games, I'll keep track of Exalted ST's and Players.
So, if you play/would like to, post your info as such:
{table=head]Name|ST?|Player?|#1Exalt|#2Exalt|#3Exalt|Type of Game
Phil|No|Yes|Solar|Lunar|Sidereal|Exploration[/table]
And here's our current one:
Jokasti|Yes|Yes|Alchemical|Lunar|Solar|Anything.
Kyeudo|Yes|Yes|Alchemical|Infernal|Solar|Sandbox.
Neon Knight|Yes|Yes|DB|Lunar|Solar|!=kingdom building
Reynard|Yes|Yes|Solar|DB|Lunar|Anything
Lord Raziere|No|Yes|Abyssal|Sidereal|Lunar|Anything
Britter|No|Yes|Solar|||Anything
Yuki_Akuma|Probably not|Yes|Sidereal|Infernal|Lunar|Anything really
Khantalas (AKA TRD)|Maybe|Yes|Abyssal|Solar|Infernal|Threshold sandbox
Sanguine|Possibly|Yes|Infernal|Alchemical|DB|Anyth ing
Ganurath|One At A Time|Yes|Fae|DB|Infernal|Mixed Group
Drascin|Not Yet|Yes|Alchemical|DB/Lunar|!=Abyssal|Story-driven
Raz_Fox|Someday|Yes|Lunar|Solar|Sidereal|Character-Driven
Xefas|Maybe|Yes|Infernal|Sidereal|Solar|Sandbox[/table]

Kyeudo
2010-10-26, 01:49 AM
Kyeudo|Yes|Yes|Alchemical|Infernal|Solar|Sandbox.[/table]

Neon Knight
2010-10-26, 07:58 AM
Neon Knight|Yes|Yes|Dragon Blood|Lunar|Solar|Anything not kingdom building.[/table]

Reynard
2010-10-26, 08:12 AM
Reynard|Yes|Yes|Solar|Dragonblooded|Lunar|Anything[/table]

Lord Raziere
2010-10-26, 08:30 AM
Lord Raziere|No|Yes|Abyssal|Sidereal|Lunar|Anything[/table]

Britter
2010-10-26, 08:42 AM
Britter|No|Yes (Very new to the game)|Solar (Only book I own atm)|||Anything[/table]

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-26, 08:44 AM
...Well alright then.

Yuki_Akuma|Probably not|Yes|Sidereal|Green Sun Prince|Lunar|Anything really[/table]

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-26, 09:06 AM
Khantalas (AKA TRD)|Maybe|YES!|Abyssal|Solar|Infernal|Threshold sandbox[/table]

Sanguine
2010-10-26, 09:53 AM
Sanguine|Possibly|Most Definitely|Green Sun Prince|Alchemical|Dragon-Blood(For Now)|"Hit Me With Your Best Shot" aka Anything[/table]

Ganurath
2010-10-26, 11:47 AM
Ganurath|One At A Time|Oh Yeah|Fae|Terrestrials|Infernals|Mixed Group[/table]

Also, Neon Knight's game has finished recruiting, so you'll want to take that off the list.

Morty
2010-10-26, 11:52 AM
Alright, I'll bite. I'm not really interested in Exalted, but there is one thing that interests me, especially since the setting and system do seem good at what they do. Namely, how possible and viable is it to actually play a Heroic, possibly Enlightened Mortal? From what I know, they're generally relegated to the role of NPC speedbumps, but I've always liked Badass Normals.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-26, 11:55 AM
It depends. If it's a game based around fighting supernatural threats... you might be able to deal with low-Essence demons and Raksha. Anything higher than that - especially things with perfect abilities - will squish you flat.

Against other mortals, however, it can work fine.

Drascin
2010-10-26, 11:57 AM
Might as well. I figure the Exalt blocks are to put our favorite splats and such:

Drascin|Not Yet|Yes|Alchemical|Dragonbloded/Lunar|Anything but an Abyssal|Story-driven, but I'm game for almost anything[/table]

Tavar
2010-10-26, 11:57 AM
I was in a game for a very short time that was all herioc mortals. Of course, it was inspired by Gundam, so we were all in Warstriders(only scout, but still).

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-26, 12:01 PM
Alright, I'll bite. I'm not really interested in Exalted, but there is one thing that interests me, especially since the setting and system do seem good at what they do. Namely, how possible and viable is it to actually play a Heroic, possibly Enlightened Mortal? From what I know, they're generally relegated to the role of NPC speedbumps, but I've always liked Badass Normals.

It is perfectly possible and viable if you like grim settings. Because any adventuring mortal will soon run into a savage Dragon King, a Guild mercenary team, a wandering raksha or, worse yet, an Exalt. Most of those threats can be defeated by a resourceful troupe of mortals, but not easily. Especially considering mortals have no way to increase their defenses on the fly and no way to heal as fast as Exalts.

However, if you leave most of these supernatural / well-funded threats for endgame scenarios, where the mortals put everything in line to strike rich forever / save the girl they were going to marry / die a heroic death / win the Exaltation lottery, then mortals have no problem being played. Just forget about changing the world anytime soon.

Morty
2010-10-26, 12:01 PM
It depends. If it's a game based around fighting supernatural threats... you might be able to deal with low-Essence demons and Raksha. Anything higher than that - especially things with perfect abilities - will squish you flat.

Against other mortals, however, it can work fine.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Is it impossible for a group of Enlightened Mortals to fight a Dragon-Blooded, even?

It is perfectly possible and viable if you like grim settings. Because any adventuring mortal will soon run into a savage Dragon King, a Guild mercenary team, a wandering raksha or, worse yet, an Exalt. Most of those threats can be defeated by a resourceful troupe of mortals, but not easily. Especially considering mortals have no way to increase their defenses on the fly and no way to heal as fast as Exalts.

However, if you leave most of these supernatural / well-funded threats for endgame scenarios, where the mortals put everything in line to strike rich forever / save the girl they were going to marry / die a heroic death / win the Exaltation lottery, then mortals have no problem being played. Just forget about changing the world anytime soon.

Hm, I see. Now, that I could actually be interested in playing. Especially since Exalted is supposedly about tearing Impossible a new one :smalltongue:

Kylarra
2010-10-26, 12:02 PM
I'd kind of recommend a god-blooded game over a heroic mortal game, although you will do fine against low-end threats regardless, and assuming you're in an obscure enough area, probably not rank attention from any of the 700 celestial exalts. You'll still fall over to any terrestrial exalt though and they are common enough.

Drascin
2010-10-26, 12:06 PM
Yeah, that's what I figured. Is it impossible for a group of Enlightened Mortals to fight a Dragon-Blooded, even?

Now, I'm no expert, but long as the group of mortals has bows and distance and a good ambush to get those Unexpected Attacks to work with, I think it's possible. Poison arrow spam seems pretty nasty for a just-out-of-Character-creation Dragonblooded.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-26, 12:07 PM

You can fight a single, young Terrestrial, even if he is combat focused, and possibly win, but you need to spend all your tactics genius, health levels and other expendables such as Willpower or Virtue channels to have a chance. In turn, Terrestrials' free reflexives are going to help him mount a defense and an offense at the same time, and he will probably enter anima flux, which will burn you very slowly.

But yeah, you can win. It is about as easy as a 1st level team of warriors and experts in 3.5 to defeat an adult dragon without any magic items.

golentan
2010-10-26, 12:08 PM
I was in a game for a very short time that was all herioc mortals. Of course, it was inspired by Gundam, so we were all in Warstriders(only scout, but still).

How the heck did you pay the attunement?I mean, the small pool + the 1/3 only without willpower rule kind of puts a crimp on your day...

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-26, 12:09 PM
How the heck did you pay the attunement?I mean, the small pool + the 1/3 only without willpower rule kind of puts a crimp on your day...

I assume they at least had Aegis Inset Amulets to ease the pain.

Morty
2010-10-26, 12:18 PM
Well, thanks for the answers. I suppose a game of Exalted in which a bunch of Heroic Mortals, enlightened or not, spends a lot of time, resources and takes huge risks to try and take out a single Exalt or a similar supernatural threat could be fun. A bit like Hunter: The Vigil cranked up to eleven.

golentan
2010-10-26, 12:18 PM
I assume they at least had Aegis Inset Amulets to ease the pain.

Whoo! Only have to attune 8 motes instead of 10, discounting weapons. Still costs you a willpower every scene unless you're essence three, and...

But...

You know what? Who cares! It does sound like an awesome campaign, even more so if it's an epic psychological struggle to keep up with the group.

Raz_Fox
2010-10-26, 12:21 PM
Raz_Fox|Someday|Yes|Lunar|Solar|Sidereal|Heroic and Character-Driven[/table]

My knowledge of Exalted Lore is incomplete, so I'd like to know: how many different ways of achieving immortality are there? Purely out of curiosity, of course, it's not like I'm plotting up a new character or anything like that. Ahem.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-26, 01:56 PM
I think there's... ascending to Godhood or attuning to a Manse with a Gem of Immortality hearthstone. And there are drugs that can increase your lifespan, but they're First Age tech.

Xefas
2010-10-26, 02:11 PM
Xefas|Maybe? Eventually?|Sure|Infernal|Sidereal|Solar|Sandbox[/table]

Also, I just gotta mention this startling bit of information I found out.

The first reading through of Exalted that I did, I picked up the word "Autochthon", and was pronouncing it with a hard 'c', as I was relating it to the word "Cthulhu". Then, after I introduced Exalted to my gaming group, we brought in a new player we hadn't gamed with before who was very familiar with Exalted, and he told us it was pronounced with a soft 'c'. So I pronounced it like that for a while. But then, I was recalled of the word "chthonian" which means "of or pertaining to deities or spirits", which seems like a very likely root wood for the creation of the name Autochthon, and it's 'ch' part is completely silent. So, I've spent most of my time playing Exalted irking my gaming group by pronouncing the 'ch' in Autochthon silently, while they still use that soft 'c' and refuse to convert to the true and righteous path.

But, today, I stumbled upon a truly frightening revelation. Autochthon is actually a real word in the English language. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/autochthon) Oh balls. And to make matters worse, the pronunciation is "aw-tok-thuh n", emphasis on the hard 'c'. So now I'm back to square one, and so very very confused as to what I should do.

Tavar
2010-10-26, 02:22 PM
Whoo! Only have to attune 8 motes instead of 10, discounting weapons. Still costs you a willpower every scene unless you're essence three, and...

Well, the setting was heavily changed(much easier/faster to make warstriders, and there were more factories that could make them), but I think it was a homebrewed artifact. Halve your lifespan, and in return, you could attune to the artifact for free.

What I really miss is that the game only lasted ~1 session before the DM dropped us.

golentan
2010-10-26, 02:26 PM
Well, the setting was heavily changed(much easier/faster to make warstriders, and there were more factories that could make them), but I think it was a homebrewed artifact. Halve your lifespan, and in return, you could attune to the artifact for free.

What I really miss is that the game only lasted ~1 session before the DM dropped us.

So... It's an Aegis Inset scaled up for warstriders? Because normally Aegis systems only work for armor costing up to 5 motes, and still cost half the lifespan.

Mattarias, King.
2010-10-26, 03:48 PM
My knowledge of Exalted Lore is incomplete, so I'd like to know: how many different ways of achieving immortality are there? Purely out of curiosity, of course, it's not like I'm plotting up a new character or anything like that. Ahem.

There's a four point mutation, which is just called Immortality. Guess what it does. :smallamused::smalltongue:

Re: playing non-exalts in an exalted setting: :smalltongue: I'm showing you guys the head of the first evil exalt I solo.

Kylarra
2010-10-26, 04:00 PM
Godblooded are still head and shoulders above heroic mortals. They're no exalts certainly, but having significant enough essence to attune to multiple artifacts and/or use charms well...

Kyeudo
2010-10-26, 04:02 PM

There's Peaches of Immortality, in addition to the other things mentioned. I don't recall if only one is needed to attain immortality or if they just add decades to your lifespan. They only grow in Yu-Shan and are jealously guarded by Celestial Dieties because they are so dang delicious and rare.

Do note that immortality-achieving effects don't work for Sidereals. The day they are to die is set in Fate by their own Exaltation. Trying to dodge it one way just causes you to die another way.

Xefas
2010-10-26, 04:33 PM
I was reading through Scroll of the Monk, and the Terrestrial Martial Arts Charm "Golden Janissary Form" has the wording "For the Charm's duration, the Janissary's player treats rolls of 10 on a damage die as two damage successes against creatures of darkness."

I thought rolls of 10 were already two successes? Am I missing something?

Drascin
2010-10-26, 04:35 PM
I was reading through Scroll of the Monk, and the Terrestrial Martial Arts Charm "Golden Janissary Form" has the wording "For the Charm's duration, the Janissary's player treats rolls of 10 on a damage die as two damage successes against creatures of darkness."

I thought rolls of 10 were already two successes? Am I missing something?

There are a few rolls that don't count 10s as double. Damage is one of them.

Xefas
2010-10-26, 04:40 PM
There are a few rolls that don't count 10s as double. Damage is one of them.

Oh. Oooooh. Well, damn. This is just one of those reasons I don't want to try Storytelling on the interweb yet. :smalltongue:

Some of my real life games would have turned out vastly different if I'd known this at the time...

Ganurath
2010-10-27, 12:27 AM
Do note that immortality-achieving effects don't work for Sidereals. The day they are to die is set in Fate by their own Exaltation. Trying to dodge it one way just causes you to die another way.I was wondering why Chejop turned down immortality.

Also, there's a Wood Favored Manse Power in Lords of Creation that, if used on a five dot manse, makes everyone living in it stop aging. Among other things. Not worth being stuck in a manse all your life, of course. Surprising Misho didn't invest in it, though.

Kyeudo
2010-10-27, 12:36 AM
I was wondering why Chejop turned down immortality.

The reason the other Sidereals offered that hearthstone to him is because the lifespan limit on Sidereals is not a commonly known thing. Few Sidereals actually reach their true date with destiny, as that day is approximately 5000 years after their Exaltation. Most die before then dealing with some creature from outside Fate or one of the other Exalted (Even Terrestrials have the power to shout "Screw You Fate!" at the top of their lungs).

horngeek
2010-10-27, 02:48 AM
I was wondering why Chejop turned down immortality.

Also, there's a Wood Favored Manse Power in Lords of Creation that, if used on a five dot manse, makes everyone living in it stop aging. Among other things. Not worth being stuck in a manse all your life, of course. Surprising Misho didn't invest in it, though.

Hmmm... probably because it wouldn't be big enough for his purposes, maybe?

a_humble_lich
2010-10-27, 02:52 AM
{table='head']Name|ST?|Player?|#1Exalt|#2Exalt|#3Exalt|Type of Game
a_humble_lich|Someday|yes|Lunar|Solar|DB|Any[/table]

Britter
2010-10-27, 10:11 AM
A question for those of you with more experience. I own the core book for Exalted 2e, but I don't know where to go next. Any recomendations for worthwhile books to add to my collection?

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-27, 10:34 AM
Get the Abyssals book. Not only are Abyssals awesome, but the book also has several new Solar Charms.

Then get the first three Books of Sorcery.

Neon Knight
2010-10-27, 11:09 AM
Get what you're interested in. If you're interested in Terrestrials, get the Dragon Blooded Manual. Interested in Sidereals? Lunars? Alchemicals? Get those books. Etc.

If you're interested in Sorcery/Necromancy, get the White and Black Treatises. If you're interested in a certain environment, you can get the corresponding direction from the Terrestrial or Celestial Compass series.

Wonders of the Lost Age and Oadenol's Codex contain lots of neat artifacts and stuff, and Oadenol's Codex has lots of other useful stuff on manses, thaumaturgy, and the like.

Scroll of the Monk is less useful. It has lots of martial arts styles, but most of them are rather non-functional.

The Glories of the Most High Series covers the Celestial Incarnae, and adds charms for the Exalt types associated with the relevant deities, as well as martial arts and artifacts and the like. Some good stuff.

The Scroll of Heroes covers heroic mortals. I don't find it too useful; a lot o the content is iffy. It does cover God-Bloods, Half-Castes, and the like, though, so it is good to have.

The Rolls of Glorious Divinity covers Gods, Ghosts, Demons, and Elementals. Nifty to have.

The Scroll of Fallen Races is actually one of my favorite books. It covers The Dragon Kings and The Mountianfolk, races created by the Primordials before the Primordial War. They're unique and fun, being very different from how the rest of Creation works. I really dig them.

Likewise, Graceful Wicked Masques is cool because you get an indepth look at the Fair Folk. Unfortunately, the mechanics of the book might be getting some hefty errata soon, so unless you really, really like the Fair Folk you might want to hold off on this one for a bit.

Xefas
2010-10-27, 11:17 AM
A question for those of you with more experience. I own the core book for Exalted 2e, but I don't know where to go next. Any recomendations for worthwhile books to add to my collection?

Depends largely on what it is you want.

For instance, if you plan on being a Storyteller and have a lot of trouble improvising locations and cultures, or if you just like to read cultural fluff, get one of the Compass of Terrestrial Directions. They take a section of Creation and just detail all the stuff in it with little-to-no mechanics involved.

If you like the idea of playing a Heroic Mortal, either because you want to play both sides of the Exaltation, and see who Clark Kent was before he was Superman-But-With-Solar-Circle-Sorcery, or because you just like the idea of Heroic Mortals, then the Scroll of Heroes is for you. (It also has a flaw/merit system that is marginally less terrible than D&D's!)

If you want a different Exalt type in your games, then the obvious choice is the Manual of Exalted Power for whichever Exalt you want: Infernal, Abyssal, Lunar, Dragonblooded, Alchemical, or...possibly Sidereal. Be warned the Sidereal book is kind of wonky. There are a few charms that are "oh dear god, you get this at Essence 4, but this effect would be stupidly broken powerful at Essence 10", but most of the charms fall into the category of "wow, that's stupidly pathetic", or "there's no indication of how this really functions in the context of the Exalted rules (mostly the mental influence charms that give no indication of how to resist them, and horridly mislabeled charms)".

I wait with bated breath for the official reworking of the Sidereals, as they jockey with Infernals for #1 place in my heart.

The Books of Sorcery are nice. Wonders of the Lost Age is just a fat pile of Artifacts (including Warstriders!), with maaaaybe a Crafting charm or two wedged in there? I forget. Useful, but not the first book I'd get. The Black/White Treatise is all about the Sorcery/Necromancy respectively. Useful if you want to play a Sorcerer, not so much otherwise. Oadenol's Codex is all about crafting and manses...and crafting manses. If you feel like crafting or living in a swanky manse, this is for you. The other two Books of Sorcery are only good for Storytellers who want big gobs of Demons/Spirits to use in their games.

Glories of the Most High (UC, Luna, Maidens) have some nice charms and a few artifacts in them if all you want is some new charms and a few artifacts. The Unconquered Sun has the Glory to the Super Saiyan charm for Solars, which I've yet to actually use in a game, but am itching to try.

Aaaaand, that's about it. Except for The Compass of Celestial Directions series, but I'd suggest the Terrestrial ones first, if you bother with any compasses at all.

EDIT: Aaaaaand, ....ninja'd :smallannoyed:

Britter
2010-10-27, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. It is always nice to be told what works, what might be broken, and what simply doesn't work before one buys the relevant books. I feel equipped to make some infrormed choices now.

SurlySeraph
2010-10-27, 02:36 PM
Scroll of the Monk is less useful. It has lots of martial arts styles, but most of them are rather non-functional.

Isn't it the only easy way to get scene-length perfect defenses, though? Or is the overpoweredness what's non-functional about them?

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-27, 02:39 PM
Isn't it the only easy way to get scene-length perfect defenses, though? Or is the overpoweredness what's non-functional about them?

Scene-length perfect defenses are basically UNLIMITED POWER where you can do anything and no one can touch you. As such, they should not exist.

Neon Knight
2010-10-27, 02:43 PM

Martial Arts in the Scroll of the Monk tend to simply be poorly written and not even properly functioning. When they're not, they tend to be broken the other way. Scene length perfect defenses, like The Rose Dragon chimed in, are generally a bad idea period, from a balance standpoint.

The Terrestrial Martial Arts tend to be merely okay. The Celestial Martial Arts tend to be broken in the non-functional way. Sidereal Martial Arts tend to be broken in the broken way.

Xefas
2010-10-27, 03:01 PM
I got another question for anyone in the know gracious enough to fill me with their enlightenment.

So, sorcery. You get spells. It has three levels, each requiring a different initiation charm, with the prerequisite of each initiation charm being the initiation charm that proceeds it.

That means, if I understand this correctly (and this is where I'm fuzzy):

If I take the Terrestrial Circle Sorcery charm, and I have Occult 4 and Essence 4, I can then take the Celestial Circle Sorcery charm even if I don't actually know any Terrestrial Circle spells? And then, if I have Occult 5 and Essence 5, I can buy the Solar Circle Sorcery charm even if I don't actually know any Terrestrial or Celestial Circle spells?

And, if I were then to, say, buy all three of the Solar Circle spells that exist with 24 starting XP, I could do so without actually knowing any spells of the Terrestrial or Celestial persuasion? Like, I could summon a Third Circle Demon while being completely oblivious to the knowledge required to summon a First Circle Demon?

Is this right or am I missing a paragraph somewhere?

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-27, 03:04 PM
Yes, you can have spells of a given circle without knowing spells of a lower circle. No, that's not necessarily a good idea.

Also, there are more than three Solar Circle spells. Just the basics would be Adamant Countermagic, Adamant Circle Banishment and Demon of the Third Circle. If you want to destroy huge regions, there are also Rain of Doom and Total Annihilation. If you want to restore huge regions, you have Benediction of Archgenesis and Light of Solar Cleansing.