PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Improved Familiar

Kairyu
2010-10-14, 10:11 PM
For those of you familiar with the feat, what would you get for your character? Or, what DID you get for your character?

My Neutral-Good Bard got himself a Blink Dog familiar named Adelaide, and oh did I ever abuse his ability to turn her into large-sized Magic Beasts with the Alter Self spell. Having the semi-maintainable ability to get yourself a decent protector, or even a flying mount (yes, totally within the rules!) was just purely awesome. Plus, her ability to teleport was an excellent asset.

senrath
2010-10-14, 10:14 PM
I'm very partial to the Pseudodragon. I'm not sure why, I just love the little guy.

Zaydos
2010-10-14, 10:20 PM
I had a DM who suggested pixie... it was a fun character but not something that should be given to a 9th level wizard.

Otherwise I'm partial to blink dog; they make a good delivery system for touch spells and it very easy for your melee character to get a flank on that big creature that lays the smack down on people moving around him.

I'm more partial to Dragon Familiar, though. I wish that Improved Familiar continued scaling past 7th level familiars :smallmad:

Thefurmonger
2010-10-15, 01:31 AM
I have always thought that the Imp was the way to go.

Scarey Nerd
2010-10-15, 01:44 AM
Definitely Pseudodragon, though I have been tempted in the past by a wyrmling Copper dragon, á la the picture on page 141 of Draconomicon.

Because it's ridiculously cute :smile:

Daelen
2010-10-15, 02:43 AM
A particularly fun gestalt character I built, Hexblade 20//Sorcerer 5/Nightmare Spinner 10/Fatespinner 5 (Or is that backwards... AFB can't remember lol but I capped both), had both the Hexblade's Dark Companion feature out of PHBII and a Winter Wolf familiar from Improved Familiar. With the Hexblade's higher HD it was actually bad ass.

EvilJames
2010-10-16, 03:59 AM
My gnome got a small centipede. His Fleshwarper Prc made it a medium sized flying, scaly and soon to be tentacled Centipede.

I figured a fleshwarper should have the most horrific familiar it can and that's what I came up with.

Hmm theoretically since it's bigger than I am I should be able to ride it right?

Tvtyrant
2010-10-16, 04:08 AM
My gnome got a small centipede. His Fleshwarper Prc made it a medium sized flying, scaly and soon to be tentacled Centipede.

I figured a fleshwarper should have the most horrific familiar it can and that's what I came up with.

Hmm theoretically since it's bigger than I am I should be able to ride it right?

Weird, I had just been considering playing a gnome fleshwarper that rides a medium, winged shocker lizard. Tell me how it turns out yeah?

gorfnab
2010-10-16, 04:19 AM
I once had a Small Shadow Elemental as an Improved Familiar for a Shadowcaster. It worked out quite nicely and was very useful. My wife had a Shadow Mastiff (~Arcane Spellcaster Level 7 for the Improved Familiar feat) as an Improved Familiar for a Shadowcaster she played.

Kaldrin
2010-10-16, 04:35 AM
Asked for a green dragon hatchling and got it (We had just found the mother's lair empty as part of the plot in the adventure which is probably why I was allowed to get it). Called him Norbert.

AustontheGreat1
2010-10-16, 04:38 AM
Love living spell familiars. Especially an Image spell or Evard's Black Tentacles. Imp is also good and comes with an excellent amount of versatility and utility.

true_shinken
2010-10-16, 09:45 AM
+1 to the blink dog. Those tasty free action teleports... then a dorje of fusion... ooh, good times. Good times indeed.

Thefurmonger
2010-10-16, 09:56 AM
Love living spell familiars. Especially an Image spell or Evard's Black Tentacles. Imp is also good and comes with an excellent amount of versatility and utility.

Are there rules for living spells as familiers?

EvilJames
2010-10-16, 11:17 AM
Weird, I had just been considering playing a gnome fleshwarper that rides a medium, winged shocker lizard. Tell me how it turns out yeah?

I'll ask my DM if i can anyway but I probably won't ride him (centipedes are way to low to the ground) Shocker sounds like it would work better. (for riding that is hopefully you won't be shocked by it)

Fleshwarpers are awesome. ..So long as you don't mind your character not being pretty. (boy howdy is mine messed up looking)

jcsw
2010-10-16, 11:25 AM
Are there rules for living spells as familiers?

In some dragon magazine, if i recall.

--

I've always liked planar familiar for the mirror mephit, not just cause they're broken, but also cause they're cool.