PDA

View Full Version : Con to AC Bonus?

mrcarter11
2010-10-14, 11:07 PM
Looking for a class, preferably non-homebrew that gains an AC bonus equal to Con Mod.. If you know of a homebrew class that does, feel free to post it though.

Mystic Muse
2010-10-14, 11:09 PM
They're homebrew but 90% or so of the classes here have a con mod to AC bonus. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170469

ranagrande
2010-10-14, 11:19 PM
The Deepwarden from Races of Stone and the Fist of the Forest from Complete Champion both get Con to AC.

Jayabalard
2010-10-14, 11:25 PM
Deepwarden lets use your con bonus instead of your dex bonus to AC

VirOath
2010-10-14, 11:25 PM
The Deepwarden from Races of Stone and the Fist of the Forest from Complete Champion both get Con to AC.

Adding to the above, Fist of the Forest only gets Con to AC when not wearing armor, and the way Deepwarden is written your Con bonus takes place of your Dex bonus to AC, and depending on your DM may or may not bypass the max dex limit on armor.

If you have a good Wisdom score, tossing in a Monk Belt would really help boost the above, as you aren't wearing armor with Fist of the Forest.

mrcarter11
2010-10-14, 11:30 PM
Well the monster classes are some of the only homebrew not allowed.. I hadn't planned on being a dwarf, although it may be needed in the end I guess. Maybe more info could help, I'm playing making an incarnate//something for a gestalt game, and since my con will be so high, I was hoping someone knew a class that granted the bonus. FoF could work, but Primal Living doesn't help it..

VirOath
2010-10-14, 11:58 PM
Well the monster classes are some of the only homebrew not allowed.. I hadn't planned on being a dwarf, although it may be needed in the end I guess. Maybe more info could help, I'm playing making an incarnate//something for a gestalt game, and since my con will be so high, I was hoping someone knew a class that granted the bonus. FoF could work, but Primal Living doesn't help it..

Primal Living just limits your visits to sleeping overnight in a city to 3 days a month. Not really that hard to just camp outside. It doesn't punish you for sleeping inside a dungeon, and there are plenty of creative ways to not break the vow as well.

You don't have to be a dwarf either, there is a PrC in the same book designed for very early entry (about level 2) that gives you the ability to count as a any of the races of stone for qualifying for a PrC, and would be finished by level 5.

And if you are looking for something to spice up the other half of the gestalt, my personal favorite is the factotum from Dungeonscape. False Wizard Spellcasting, pinch clericing, Int to Everything (Everything rolled, and even AC) and the key figure point of extra standard actions at level 8, with a skill list of (YES), all out of the box without feat investment. It's a class that can give you some actions, but gives massive boosts and bonuses as well, really strong as a passive class.

mrcarter11
2010-10-15, 12:13 AM
Right, I know about it. My problem against it was just that my Int bonus is +2, my con is +5.. Which sounds nicer as a bonus? But in any case, I was mainly just looking for a dip to gain the AC bonus.. I have both sides mostly planned. Thanks though :smallsmile:

Dr Bwaa
2010-10-15, 12:45 AM
X stat to Y bonus. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732)

Toptomcat
2010-10-15, 02:51 AM
It's 3.0 and has some really problematic qualification requirements, but the Forsaker PrC gets this and isn't mentioned in X stat to Y bonus.

Amphetryon
2010-10-15, 05:56 AM
Adding to the above, Fist of the Forest only gets Con to AC when not wearing armor, and the way Deepwarden is written your Con bonus takes place of your Dex bonus to AC, and depending on your DM may or may not bypass the max dex limit on armor.

IIRC, the "official word" from FAQ or Sage was that Deepwarden's CON to AC is not supposed to bypass max DEX. Whether that makes as much sense as Monks not having proficiency with unarmed strikes is up to your DM and your group's comfort level.

Last Laugh
2010-10-15, 07:52 AM
It's 3.0 and has some really problematic qualification requirements, but the Forsaker PrC gets this and isn't mentioned in X stat to Y bonus.

goodness, Is that the class that requires less than 6 int? or the one that has to eat thousands of gold worth of magic items just to use his class abilities?

Amphetryon
2010-10-15, 08:00 AM
goodness, Is that the class that requires less than 6 int? or the one that has to eat thousands of gold worth of magic items just to use his class abilities?

It's the one that requires a steady stream of magic items in order not to become a corpse gimped character concept at inconvenient moments.

ranagrande
2010-10-15, 08:30 AM
It's the one that requires a steady stream of magic items in order not to become a corpse gimped character concept at inconvenient moments.

Damage Reduction is the only thing a Forsaker loses by not destroying magic items, and there are lots of other ways to get DR so it's not really that big of a deal.

Take Vow of Poverty for maximum benefits.

Douglas
2010-10-15, 09:23 AM
Damage Reduction is the only thing a Forsaker loses by not destroying magic items, and there are lots of other ways to get DR so it's not really that big of a deal.

Take Vow of Poverty for maximum benefits.
VoP and Forsaker are not compatible, sadly. Forsaker requires you to destroy your loot, while VoP requires you to donate your loot to charity. Unless you can find a way to somehow both destroy an item and donate that same item - with its full original value - to charity, you cannot maintain both. Donating your destroyed loot to charity won't work because VoP's requirement is tied to the value of what you donate.

ranagrande
2010-10-15, 09:30 AM
VoP and Forsaker are not compatible, sadly. Forsaker requires you to destroy your loot, while VoP requires you to donate your loot to charity. Unless you can find a way to somehow both destroy an item and donate that same item - with its full original value - to charity, you cannot maintain both. Donating your destroyed loot to charity won't work because VoP's requirement is tied to the value of what you donate.

You can be a Forsaker and not destroy anything. You lose your Damage Reduction, but all other class features work normally.

Person_Man
2010-10-15, 11:18 AM
Forsaker is in fact on the X to Y thread, and has been for a while. It adds your Con bonus to natural armor AC.

However, I'm not sure I would suggest using one. The +10 to any stat is nice. But giving up all of your magic items is a huge deal, the Fast Healing is oddly limited, the SR is too low to be meaningful, and the DR uses 3.0 rules.

I wonder if a DM would count soulmelds as magic? My guess is no, as they count as magical for the purpose of Anti-Magic Field, Dispel Magic, etc. But there's a natural overlap of sorts - Totemist uses Con for Save DCs, and binding soulmelds to chakra slots prevents you from using a magic item for that slot. A homebrew Foresaker that offered soulmeld progression and gained the benefits of Vow of Poverty (without the Exalted requirements) would be interesting.

Toptomcat
2010-10-15, 11:53 AM
Forsaker is in fact on the X to Y thread, and has been for a while. It adds your Con bonus to natural armor AC.

However, I'm not sure I would suggest using one. The +10 to any stat is nice. But giving up all of your magic items is a huge deal, the Fast Healing is oddly limited, the SR is too low to be meaningful, and the DR uses 3.0 rules.

I wonder if a DM would count soulmelds as magic? My guess is no, as they count as magical for the purpose of Anti-Magic Field, Dispel Magic, etc. But there's a natural overlap of sorts - Totemist uses Con for Save DCs, and binding soulmelds to chakra slots prevents you from using a magic item for that slot. A homebrew Foresaker that offered soulmeld progression and gained the benefits of Vow of Poverty (without the Exalted requirements) would be interesting.
Huh. Not sure how I missed that.
The SR does expressly stack with that from any other source, which makes it at least interesting (if not exactly good) in combination with racial or templated SR.

Amphetryon
2010-10-15, 12:20 PM

Sounds like fun....

Person_Man
2010-10-15, 03:06 PM
Sounds like fun....

I present the Forsaker Totemist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9559045#post9559045).