PDA

View Full Version : Update Minsc for goodness!(3.5)

grarrrg
2010-10-14, 11:23 PM
This is more for fun than something I plan on using.
The goal is to update Minsc from Baldur's Gate to 3.5 (or Pathfinder if it somehow fits better).
I'd recommend stating him out at level 1, 10 or 20 (bonus points for all three)

Minsc's default stats at level 1 (per BG1) are/were:
Human
Neutral Good
Ranger
Str: 18/93 (for those unfamiliar with 2e...well...just say 18)
Dex: 15
Con: 15
Int: 8
Wis: 6
Cha: 9
Notables are:
"Berserk" ability
Miniature Giant Space Hamster for a companion

My thoughts (feel free to substitute your own) (spoilered for the sake of post length)
The ability scores can be kept as-is (str of 18), this works out to around a 30-point-buy (depending on what a '6' costs/gives)
1st level in Ranger, going to want to pick up some Barbarian levels for the Rage/Berserk
Will probably want to homebrew a 'Ranger combat style' as Minsc seems more the "Two-handed Power Attack" type, although he does have decent stats to go for a two-weapon style.
Animal companion is Boo, the Miniature Giant Space Hamster. For all intents and purposes the "Miniature Template" seems to cancel out the "Giant" and "Space Templates". This leaves Minsc with a lower-powered Animal Companion (he could have a dreaded HOUSECAT!), but it's for flavor, not power.
As for higher levels, Minsc strikes me as the type to boost Str, despite the fact that Dex & Con are both odd, and would benefit him more. Definately should grab more levels of Ranger to actually qualify for an Animal Companion.

I have more thoughts, but they are more...offbeat, so I shall save them for a follow-up post.

WinWin
2010-10-15, 12:37 AM
2e conversions can be a bit tricky. There was not barbarian in core 2e, so Minsc was based off ranger in the BG game. the 2e-3.0 conversions also boosted percentile strength significantly. 18/93 would be the 3.0 equivelant of Str 22.

I would use Ranger 1 to start. Then advance as barbarian. Combat style is not aquired until lvl2...So not more than 1 level as ranger. Otherwise, just take Archery style for the ranged benefits. Minsc Can close to melee and rage once opponents get close.

Frenzied Berserker (CWar) would represent Minsc's dangerous rage ability.

Rage feats would be great. Nothing transformational though. Though a bodyguard for Jaheira (an Evoker), some Mage Slayer feats would help Minsc butcher any Red Wizards. Reflavoured as a stupid/oblivious tenacity rather than a knowledge of the occult.

Other classes and PrC's don't really stand out to me. Forest Reeve has an affinity to nature that Misc shares, but in the game Minsc had no spellcasting or supernatural abilities apart from rage. Some (ex) martial maneuvers would Serve Minsc well...Though the only Martial adept that I think would be appropriate would be Crusader.

You could dump Ranger altogether and just use barbarian/crusader. Boo can just be a pet, or a wild cohort.

I might put together a build later. I doubt I could perfectly reproduce the abilities of the character though. It certainly will not be a playable character.

Gavinfoxx
2010-10-15, 12:56 AM
Are you using one of the fan updates to his kit that gave him an actually useful rage variant? There were a few fan updates, check sorcerers.net

I'd put him as a Barbarian/Ranger...

arguskos
2010-10-15, 01:02 AM
Miniature Giant Space Hamsters exist, or well, Giant Space Hamsters exist anyways. I think Miniature stats exist as well, but can't quite recall as to where. I'll go try and find them.

Shpadoinkle
2010-10-15, 04:48 AM
Rage feats would be great. Nothing transformational though. Though a bodyguard for Jaheira (an Evoker), some Mage Slayer feats would help Minsc butcher any Red Wizards. Reflavoured as a stupid/oblivious tenacity rather than a knowledge of the occult.

Jaheira was the half-elf fighter/druid who was married to Khalid. The Evoker you're thinking of was Dynaheir.

Aotrs Commander
2010-10-15, 04:51 AM
I as often as not had him dual-wielding as two-handing (well, by the time BG2 was out and they'd implemented that). Two-weapon style would be okay; after all PA THF doesn't require much investment of feats.

FelixG
2010-10-15, 04:52 AM
Miniature Giant Space Hamsters exist, or well, Giant Space Hamsters exist anyways. I think Miniature stats exist as well, but can't quite recall as to where. I'll go try and find them.

Just grab the terresque stats and drop the thing down to tiny and call it good ^.^

Edit: Commander Shepard vs Minsc, the battle to see who takes possession of the miniature Giant space hamster!

J.Gellert
2010-10-15, 04:52 AM
Runescarred Berserker from Unapproachable East, I'd say.

LibraryOgre
2010-10-15, 11:33 AM

IIRC, the 2e->3e conversion guide put strength scores that high as being the 19-20 range.

Personally, I'd call him a straight-up 3e Barbarian, with the Wild Cohort feat if you want to make Boo "Something".

aboyd
2010-10-15, 12:47 PM
http://lost.spelljammer.org/ShatteredFractine/critters/monsters/hamsterg.html

Starbuck_II
2010-10-15, 12:53 PM
IIRC, the 2e->3e conversion guide put strength scores that high as being the 19-20 range.

Personally, I'd call him a straight-up 3e Barbarian, with the Wild Cohort feat if you want to make Boo "Something".

Agreed somewhat. He likely only increased Str with his Level stat bonuses.

I'd say Barbarian/Ranger: remember he only rages 1/day.
He is a Ranger with a level in Barb for Pounce (maybe 2 for uncanny dodge).

LibraryOgre
2010-10-15, 01:08 PM
Agreed somewhat. He likely only increased Str with his Level stat bonuses.

I'd say Barbarian/Ranger: remember he only rages 1/day.
He is a Ranger with a level in Barb for Pounce (maybe 2 for uncanny dodge).

Eh... I'd view that as an edition change thing. While he only rages 1/day, you can also instantly rest for as long as you like, with no effect on the game.

Flickerdart
2010-10-15, 01:16 PM
The dungeonbred template drops creatures a size, I believe. Stacking a permanent Reduce on the thing is another size (or a permanent Compression for several sizes). Alternately, make it a regular hamster (maybe use rat stats) acquired through Obtain Familiar or Wild Cohort.

Shpadoinkle
2010-10-15, 02:04 PM
Minsc was proud of both being a berserker barbarian AND being a ranger (although moreso the latter.) I'd make him a barb/ranger with equal levels in each class.

He has a particular fondness for greatswords, so he'd probably go the Power Attack route, and take the archery tree from his ranger levels.

His weapon proficiencies if you start SoA at a higher level are spent in maces and axes, so I can see him dual wielding, but... I dunno, dual-wielding just doesn't really make him feel like Minsc. Plus, he wouldn't be able to dual-wield in heavy armor.

Considering his Wisdom of 6, though, I think a level progression of

Barb 1
Ranger 1
Barb (whatever)

would be most appropriate. Or maybe starting as a ranger, depending on whether he met Boo before or after joining the Ice Dragon Berserker Lodge.

Spiryt
2010-10-15, 02:08 PM
Minsc was also able to cast spells.... And with Rage and High level abilities, they could work really well.

Not sure if it can be well made in 3.5, especially with Wisdom of 6 :smallamused:

Crow
2010-10-15, 02:17 PM
What about a ranger, with the berzerker prestige class from Dieties and Demigods?

grarrrg
2010-10-15, 02:47 PM
His weapon proficiencies if you start SoA at a higher level are spent in maces and axes, so I can see him dual wielding, but...

In 2e Rangers had a 'max proficiency' of 2 (out of 5) in any one weapon catagory, so once he had two points in "Large Sword" he couldn't put any more in anyway.
This is a point against 'Ranger archery' though.

Alternately, make it a regular hamster

Firstly, it is not "it", it is Boo.

Secondly, the point is that it is impossible to tell if Boo is a regular Hamster and Minsc is crazy, or if Boo really is a Miniature Giant Space Hamster, and Minsc is... not quite as crazy.
For all intents and purposes Boo is a regular Hamster.
So assuming that "Miniature Giant Space" are templates, then they must cancel each other out.

And about the whole "Barbarian" issue, there were none in 2e. But a Ranger (2e) with a random "Berserk" ability tacked on is pretty close.

Another small-ish problem is that one of Minsc's quotes is "Full plate, and packing steel". In 2e, no problem, in 3.Xe he would need Heavy Armor proficiency, which neither Barb nor Ranger grant. So either he took the feat on his own, or he has a dash of Fighter or something.

true_shinken
2010-10-15, 03:58 PM
Well, he is form Rashemen and they explicitly say the Minsc-type guys have Barbarian levels.
I'd use the variant Ranger fighting style with Power Attack from Dragon Magazine for Minsc. Even though he could use two weapons in the game, that's just because all rangers can. He has a special fondness of big swords.

Galileo
2010-10-15, 04:26 PM
I think Minsc taking the Heavy Armour Proficiency feat makes sense. I mean, he's got 6 Wisdom. He's not gonna know any better.

Matthew
2010-10-15, 04:33 PM
"Full plate and packing steel!"

LibraryOgre
2010-10-15, 05:06 PM

"Go for the optics, Chiktikka! Go for the optics!" (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Tali%27Zorah_nar_Rayya#Trivia)

Wait... wrong one.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-15, 05:16 PM
"Go for the optics, Chiktikka! Go for the optics!" (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Tali%27Zorah_nar_Rayya#Trivia)

Wait... wrong one.

That is Minsc's space daughter. He got around. :smallbiggrin:

aboyd
2010-10-15, 06:30 PM
Secondly, the point is that it is impossible to tell if Boo is a regular Hamster and Minsc is crazy, or if Boo really is a Miniature Giant Space Hamster, and Minsc is... not quite as crazy.
Actually, technically, there is a way to know. Following the stat blocks for giant space hamsters, it appears that they live for many years longer than a normal hamster. So if he's crazy, his hamster is dead a couple/few years after the Baldur's Gate game. Otherwise, it really is from space, and really is a miniaturized giant.

(I'm not sure if any books or anything came out after the BG series, so I have no idea if Minsc is later depicted with the hamster or not.)

I feel sad that my level of geekdom is high enough to know this information. I am probably never getting laid again.

Runestar
2010-10-15, 06:56 PM
I would probably go ranger2/barb4/frenzied berserker.

arguskos
2010-10-15, 07:36 PM
"There be safety in numbers and I am two or three at least."

"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legends! Right Boo?"

Also, I'd like to point out that I believe it is canon that Boo IS something greater than a mere hamster. I am trying to recall the source though. I think it was from a conversation with Elminster in BG1.

true_shinken
2010-10-15, 09:40 PM
"No effect?! I need a bigger sword..."

"SWORDS, NOT WORDS!"

"Minsc will lead with blade and boot."

Oh, the awesomeness. I love that game.

wumpus
2010-10-16, 07:30 PM
Sword meet evil
EVIL MEET SWORD!

Knightofvictory
2010-10-17, 01:44 AM
Huh... I seemed to remember Minsc being Chaotic Good in BG II, never played the first one. He certainly seems like the Chaotic type.

There shouldn't be too many changes needed to adapt him, I would:

1.) Full levels of Ranger, except for 1 level of Fighter so he can get Full Plate Proficiency. Conversely, you can take prof. as a feat. I think it fits the feel of Minsc better to stay Ranger all the way.
2.)Stat Boo, his animal companion out as a "Rat" as per Monster Manual.
3.)He started in BG 2 with 2 stars in dual weapon, 2 stars in two-hand sword, and 2 stars in archery. He was designed to be customizable, feat him up as you see fit. (Personally, I'd go greatsword/ power attack feats and archery ranger style)
4.) give Minsc a custom ability where he can rage 1/day with a 25% chance or so to go crazy and attack the nearest person when raging
5.)Feats- whatever will make him a more effective in his Butt-kicking! Favored enemy was vampires, as I recall, but I really think flavor wise it could be anything.

Minsc was Minsc because of his personality, I don't think he really had anything 'unique' in his build besides 2 and 4

grarrrg
2010-10-18, 09:58 AM
Huh... I seemed to remember Minsc being Chaotic Good in BG II, never played the first one. He certainly seems like the Chaotic type.
Favored enemy was vampires, as I recall, but I really think flavor wise it could be anything.

Minsc was NG in BG1 and CG in BG2, although going 'just' by his quotes he's more "Pure Good", so either works fine.
Favored enemy in BG1 was Gnolls (fits his sidequest), so I think they just changed it to be more relevant for BG2, as Gnolls cease being a concern as you gain obscene levels.

Finally, my take on Minsc.
We're going with Pathfinder on this one. I shall stat him to Level 10
Minsc CG Human (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/human)Level 1 Stats, with 25-ish point-buy (PF only goes down to 7, Minsc has a 6)
Str 20 (18, +2 for Human "any stat" racial bonus)
Dex 15
Con 15
Int 8
Wis 6
Cha 9
"Heart of Wilderness" alternate Racial trait, bonus to Survival, loses bonus skill point per level.
Now the fiddly bits, I'll take some liberties here, but just follow along, it will make sense. Any choices not mentioned are up for debate, or just not necessarily important to the character. Minsc is assumed to take the Bonus HP for Favored class purposes.
Level 1 and 2, Barbarian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian), he gets Rage and good Hit Points
Level 3, Paladin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin)(of Freedom). Minsc is a Paragon of GOODNESS! And, honestly, has the mentality of a "Stupid Good Paladin", so why not? All the better to BUTTKICKING FOR GOODNESS!
Here we shall say he had his "bump on the head" and/or met Boo.
Level 4 Ranger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger), +1 Con
It is here that we'll say he started his dajemma with Dynaheir.
The next 6 levels can be taken in any order, for sake of simplicity, we'll go Ranger then Barbarian.
Levels 5-7 Ranger (2-4), Taking Quick Draw as his Combat Style feat (big swords, no dual wield), for Hunter's Bond, he takes "companion boost" NOT Animal Companion (don't worry, all will be explained)
Levels 8-10 Barbarian (3-5), +1 Str.
Notable feats are Power Attack, and Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Throwing Hamster)
Yes folks, Boo is a WMD! (weapon of miniaturized destruction)

Boo, Throwing Hamster
Damage: 1 (cannot be modified)
Crit: 15-20, x1* (cannot be modified)
Range: 10 feet
Special: has the Returning property
*Automatically confirms Critical hits, when a Critical is scored randomly apply the effects of 1 Critical Feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/critical-feats)

Thoughts?

Mongoose87
2010-10-18, 11:34 AM
I don't think he'd ever risk throwing Boo.

I always recalled the times, when Minsc would want to do something rash, then say Boo advised him otherwise, and thought that Boo should provide a bonus to Wisdom.

grarrrg
2010-10-18, 11:46 AM
I don't think he'd ever risk throwing Boo.

It's not that he's throwing Boo, it's more that Boo is quickly scurrying off, biting someone, and scurrying back. Hence, why his damage cannot be modified by, say, Minsc's Str bonus.

It's the best way I could think of for Boo to be A. Useful, and B. NOT die.
Maybe make Boo an Intelligent Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm)?

Matthew
2010-10-18, 03:02 PM
Minsc was NG in BG1 and CG in BG2, although going 'just' by his quotes he's more "Pure Good", so either works fine.

If I remember rightly, his intelligence score dropped between games and the main character asks him about taking blows to the head in the interim, which I suppose was also part of the alignment shift. :smallbiggrin:

Crow
2010-10-18, 04:32 PM
If I remember rightly, his intelligence score dropped between games and the main character asks him about taking blows to the head in the interim, which I suppose was also part of the alignment shift. :smallbiggrin:

That's right! Good catch~!

El Dorado
2010-10-18, 04:54 PM
Make sure Boo occupies one of his valuable quick slots. Also, it should be impossible to remove Boo from said quick slot. :smallwink:

Psyren
2010-10-18, 06:05 PM
Other classes and PrC's don't really stand out to me. Forest Reeve has an affinity to nature that Misc shares, but in the game Minsc had no spellcasting or supernatural abilities apart from rage.

Just give him that martial ranger variant from CWar that gets no spells. It doesn't get any spell-likes until 13, he can PrC out long before then (e.g. to FB as you suggested)

Ashiel
2010-10-18, 07:45 PM
This is more for fun than something I plan on using.
The goal is to update Minsc from Baldur's Gate to 3.5 (or Pathfinder if it somehow fits better).
I'd recommend stating him out at level 1, 10 or 20 (bonus points for all three)

Minsc's default stats at level 1 (per BG1) are/were:
Human
Neutral Good
Ranger
Dex: 15
Con: 15
Int: 8
Wis: 6
Cha: 9
Notables are:
"Berserk" ability
Miniature Giant Space Hamster for a companion

My thoughts (feel free to substitute your own) (spoilered for the sake of post length)
The ability scores can be kept as-is (str of 18), this works out to around a 30-point-buy (depending on what a '6' costs/gives)
1st level in Ranger, going to want to pick up some Barbarian levels for the Rage/Berserk
Will probably want to homebrew a 'Ranger combat style' as Minsc seems more the "Two-handed Power Attack" type, although he does have decent stats to go for a two-weapon style.
Animal companion is Boo, the Miniature Giant Space Hamster. For all intents and purposes the "Miniature Template" seems to cancel out the "Giant" and "Space Templates". This leaves Minsc with a lower-powered Animal Companion (he could have a dreaded HOUSECAT!), but it's for flavor, not power.
As for higher levels, Minsc strikes me as the type to boost Str, despite the fact that Dex & Con are both odd, and would benefit him more. Definately should grab more levels of Ranger to actually qualify for an Animal Companion.

I have more thoughts, but they are more...offbeat, so I shall save them for a follow-up post.

Here's a Pathfinder rendition of Minsc. Humans in Pathfinder get a +2 bonus to a single ability of their choice, so we'll put it into Strength since Minsc is a physical power-house and it replicates that massive 18/** nicely.

We'll stat Boo as a Dire Rat with the Young template applied twice to bring him down to diminutive size with a massive dexterity. Probably useless for combat, but then again being an animal companion he could learn some nice tricks such as "fetch the guard's keys my tiny comrade!"

Minsc CR 1
XP 400
NG Human Ranger 1
Init +2
Senses Perception +1
DEFENSE
AC 15, touch 12, flat-footed 13 (+3 armor, +2 dex)
Hp 13 (1d10+3)
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will -3
Other courageous (+2 vs fear effects)
OFFENSE
Speed 30ft
Melee Greatsword +6 (2d6+7, 19-20/x2)
Ranged Longbow +4 (1d8+5, x3) 110ft range
Special Attacks Favored enemy (undead) +2, point blank shot, berserker spirit (2 rounds)
STATISTICS
Str 20, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 6, Cha 9
Base Atk +1, CMB +6, CMD 18
Feats Iron Will, Point Blank Shot
Skills Climb +9, Handle Animal +3, Perception +1, Stealth +5, Survival +1; Misc +1 bonus to Survival when tracking
ECOLOGY
Environment Any
Equipment greatsword, mwk mighty +5 longbow, 50 arrows, studded leather armor
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Berserker Spirit (Ex) Minsc can go berserk, which grants him a +1 bonus to melee attack and damage rolls, and a +1 bonus on will saves. Minsc can remain berserk for a number of rounds per day equal to his 1/2 his level plus his constitution modifier. These rounds needn't be consecutive.

This build assumes he's almost to 2nd level and is receiving PC wealth (putting him at about 1,000 gp worth of gear). Misc in BG 1 had Gnolls as a favored enemy, but had Vampires as a favored enemy in BG 2, so I gave him Undead as a favored enemy (plenty of those around). Misc was surprisingly good with a bow in both BG games and you might as well use one since he also specialized in two-handed swords.

His berserker rage was kind of pointless. It was actually given by Boo (who could not be de-equipped), but made him slaughter everything around him as if he were wielding a cursed berserking weapon which led to few people actually using it since he would cause more problems and would do really stupid stuff (like kill Dynaheir his witch, in BG 1). When playing BG 2 I replaced his ability with a 1/day Enrage using an editor, which kept the flavor without making the ability useless. Because of this, I made a Pathfinder trait (which you can find at the end of his entry) which he took as one of his 2 traits, along with Courageous.

Minsc CR 10
XP 9,600
NG Human Ranger 10
Init +4
Senses Perception +10
DEFENSE
AC 15, touch 12, flat-footed 13 (+3 armor, +4 dex)
Hp 109.5 (10d10+50)
Fort +14, Ref +14, Will +3
Other courageous (+2 vs fear effects), displacement (20% concealment)
OFFENSE
Speed 40ft
Melee +1 Greatsword +15/+10/+5 (2d6+20, 19-20/x2) (includes a -3 for power attack)
Ranged Longbow +12/+6/+1 (1d8+14, x3) 110ft range (includes a -3 for deadly aim)
Special Attacks favored enemy (undead) +4, favored enemy (magical beasts) +2, point blank shot, berserker spirit (9 rounds)
STATISTICS
Str 20, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 6, Cha 9
Base Atk +10, CMB +17, CMD 31
Feats Iron Will, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Precise Shot, Deadly Aim, Rapid Shot, Imtimidating Prowess, Blind Fight, Manyshot
Skills Climb +20, Handle Animal +12, Perception +10, Stealth +18, Survival +10; Misc +5 bonus to Survival when tracking, +14 to Acrobatics checks made to jump
ECOLOGY
Environment Any
Equipment +1 greatsword, +1 mighty (+7) longbow, 50 arrows, +2 belt of giant strength, +3 gloves of dexterity, +3 amulet of health, +3 ring of resistance, minor cloak of displacement (masterwork tool, stealth), masterwork studded leather, boots of striding and springing, potion of enlarge person x 2, 80 gp
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Berserker Spirit (Ex) Minsc can go berserk, which grants him a +1 bonus to melee attack and damage rolls, and a +1 bonus on will saves. Minsc can remain berserk for a number of rounds per day equal to his 1/2 his level plus his constitution modifier. These rounds needn't be consecutive.

The 10th level minsc has some nice magic items (all within 10th level WBL for PF), mostly defensive based. Since he has odd ability scores the +3 enhancement items give him some nice benefits at a bit of a discount. His weapons have been upgraded and he has a very impressive +7 strength. He is both a capable melee warrior as well as a capable archer. He sports two potions of CL 1 enlarge person because they have a 10 round duration and grant reach, in addition to giving him even more strength. He's fast, and his cloak of displacement (which also gives him a +2 stealth bonus as a masterwork tool) is his primary defense, giving him a 1/5 chance to ignore any attack and making him immune to sneak attack.

His weakness is his horrible mental stat so his friends, such as Jaheira will typically cast protection from evil on him so as to prevent basic mind control effects, for about 10 hours at his level, but he's horribly vulnerable to spells such as glitterdust. Because of this he has learned how to fight while blind, for Misc's wrath shall find evil even where it lurks unseen!

I'll try to do some more later. Can't do it all right now.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-18, 08:05 PM
While he could use a bow, I never seen him specialize. Why the Deadly aim/Rapid shot/manyshot. Precise I agree with.

For his Combat Style: I'd choose Precise shot, Improved Precise Shot, and Pinpoint targeting.

Deadly aim is right out. Intimiating prowess? He rarely used intimidation.

So that free two feats: Combat Reflexes and Vital strike?

Kallisti
2010-10-18, 08:15 PM
That is Minsc's space daughter. He got around. :smallbiggrin:

Well, where did you all think he got a miniature giant space hamster from, anyway? Adventurer's Mart?

Ashiel
2010-10-18, 08:19 PM
While he could use a bow, I never seen him specialize. Why the Deadly aim/Rapid shot/manyshot. Precise I agree with.

For his Combat Style: I'd choose Precise shot, Improved Precise Shot, and Pinpoint targeting.

Deadly aim is right out. Intimiating prowess? He rarely used intimidation.

So that free two feats: Combat Reflexes and Vital strike?

I guess a large part of it depends on what you did with him as he was leveling. In Baldur's Gate, ranged weapons owned, and due to the way the game was programmed it was a hassle to deal with most ranged weapons on a sword & board guy. Likewise Misc had the strength to use the good bows like the composite bows and he wielded a 2 handed weapon.

So I always bumped his specialization to 2 in bows (2 in two handed sword, 2 in bows) and put points into two-handed weapons when possible. He was absolutely beastly, because the composite bows give you a 3/2 attack routine, and when the enemies closed he could swap to the greatsword to murder stuff.

In short, there's little reason he shouldn't use a bow. Likewise most of his bow feats come from his ranger weapon training (going archery rather than TWF), so they're not so easy to swap out unless you're going for different bow feats.

Combat Reflexes and Vital Strike could be good options though, instead of some of his other feats.

Likewise, he didn't intimidate stuff in BG for 2 major reasons as I would see it. 1) You make all the decisions, and 2) When he's would be intimidating, he's attacking people.

Since Intimidate is more than a social skill, and also a way for Misc to debuff his opponents with the burning stare of his hamster (who of course uses Aid Another) to inflict penalties on his opponents.

darkpuppy
2010-10-18, 08:58 PM
Not really gonna weigh in on the stat end (you guys seem to have that covered), but there was, I remember, an easter egg in the game that showed Boo really is a "Miniature Giant Space Hamster". If you died in the final fight, with Minsc in your party, Boo grew to the usual size of Spelljammer's Giant Space Hamsters, and avenged you.

Still, Minsc rocks! Other selected quotes:

"Boo says he prefers not to talk about such things" (when asked how Minsc has no items except Boo)

"Make way, Evil! I'm armed to the teeth, and packing A HAMSTER!"

aboyd
2010-10-18, 10:59 PM
Not really gonna weigh in on the stat end (you guys seem to have that covered), but there was, I remember, an easter egg in the game that showed Boo really is a "Miniature Giant Space Hamster". If you died in the final fight, with Minsc in your party, Boo grew to the usual size of Spelljammer's Giant Space Hamsters, and avenged you.
Completely made up. Not corroborated anywhere else, and never happened in my many playthroughs of the game.

Ashiel
2010-10-18, 11:04 PM
Heheheh. Indeed. That being said, "Boo" is vicious in that game. An actual easter egg which you can find using the CLUAconsole is that you can spawn "Boo". "Boo" is a tiny rodent who will tear they eyes (and everything else) off almost anything in the game. He's got an amazingly huge amount of hit points, he moves like lightning through water, he's so small as to have amazing ease getting around enemies, and has an attack routine that could only be defined as epically vicious. :smallbiggrin: