PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XV

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Curmudgeon
2010-10-26, 04:24 PM
A 114 b
Benefit: You can modify any spell you cast so that it carries no visual manifestation. A Darkness spell modified by Invisible Spell loses its visual manifestations but is otherwise unchanged.
This spell causes an object to radiate shadowy illumination out to a 20-foot radius. All creatures in the area gain concealment (20% miss chance). Even creatures that can normally see in such conditions (such as with darkvision or low-light vision) have the miss chance in an area shrouded in magical darkness. So Darkness will produce no shadowy illumination, and thus no reduction in sunlight.
Exposing any vampire to direct sunlight disorients it: It can take only a single move action or attack action and is destroyed utterly in the next round if it cannot escape.

If he isn't safe in b, then:
Q 114 c
Continuing using Invisible Darkness, if said vampire could see throught both magical darkness and invisibility, and thus be in shadows
What the vampire can see has no bearing on whether the sunlight touches any part of his body except his eyes. Regardless of the vampire's perceptions, he's still exposed to the sunlight.

dragonsamurai77
2010-10-26, 04:29 PM
Do Iron Golems actually take damage from electricity, or are they only slowed by it?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-26, 04:34 PM
A 119 additional info

The Druid cannot "take 20" or "take 10" in combat or other stressful situations.
Taking 10

When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10.
Taking 20

When you have plenty of time (generally 2 minutes for a skill that can normally be checked in 1 round, one full-round action, or one standard action), you are faced with no threats or distractions, and the skill being attempted carries no penalties for failure, you can take 20. This means that by RAW the Druid's player is required to physically roll their Handle Animal check until they're satisfied, or their DM cuts off free actions for the round, regardless of whatever number of free actions the DM permits.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-26, 04:39 PM
Q 120

Do Iron Golems actually take damage from electricity, or are they only slowed by it?
A 120
A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows an iron golem (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw. The magical attack must actually deal the electricity damage in order to slow the iron golem, so yes, they take electrical damage. Immunity to electricity is not in the golem's "Special Qualities" list.

Gorbash
2010-10-26, 05:29 PM
Q 121

Where in DMG (or PF CRB) can I find information on how to further enhance a magic weapon/armor? I think I've read somewhere that only the original creator of the magic item can enhance it further, but I have no idea where.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-26, 05:54 PM
A 121

Dungeon Master's Guide, page 288:
ADDING NEW ABILITIES
A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. The cost to do this is the same as if the item was not magical. Thus, a +1 longsword can be made into a +2 vorpal longsword, with the cost to create it being equal to that of a +2 vorpal sword minus the cost of a +1 sword. Edit: Note that no restrictions means the creator for the additional magical effects need not be the original item creator.

Koury
2010-10-26, 10:04 PM
A 114 Dispute

A 114 b A Darkness spell modified by Invisible Spell loses its visual manifestations but is otherwise unchanged. So Darkness will produce no shadowy illumination, and thus no reduction in sunlight.

Hold on a sec. Invisible Spell only changes the visual manifestation of a spell, not the effects. If a Vampire under the effects of Darkness would be fine in sunlight normally, he would be fine under an Invisible Darkness.

He'd also have 20% miss chance.

ffone
2010-10-26, 10:23 PM
Re: A 113

There's no unit of time given, nor any text specifying you can't try to detect an aura you previously failed on, so the limitation is one check per casting of Detect Magic for each aura.

So if it's a permanencied Detect Magic, you'd only get one try per aura? (Assuming you don't then cast otherwise-redundnat DMs on yourself to get more tries for that aura.)

Curmudgeon
2010-10-26, 11:05 PM
Re: A 114 Dispute

Hold on a sec. Invisible Spell only changes the visual manifestation of a spell, not the effects.
The visual manifestation of Darkness is the primary effect.
You can modify any spell you cast so that it carries no visual manifestation. All other aspects of the spell, including range, area, targets, and damage remain the same. The "all other aspects" note of Invisible Spell does not exclude changes in effect based on visual manifestation.

As to whether Darkness + Invisible Spell would still create concealment, that's a DM's call. Shadowy illumination normally creates concealment, providing a 20% miss chance. But whether the concealment provided by Darkness is only a result of that shadowy illumination or an independent effect of the spell isn't specified in the RAW.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-26, 11:06 PM
So if it's a permanencied Detect Magic, you'd only get one try per aura?
That's the way the RAW cookie crumbles. :smallwink:

Koury
2010-10-26, 11:39 PM

The visual manifestation of Darkness is the primary effect. The "all other aspects" note of Invisible Spell does not exclude changes in effect based on visual manifestation.

As to whether Darkness + Invisible Spell would still create concealment, that's a DM's call. Shadowy illumination normally creates concealment, providing a 20% miss chance. But whether the concealment provided by Darkness is only a result of that shadowy illumination or an independent effect of the spell isn't specified in the RAW.

I disagree. The shadowy illumination is indeed the visual manifestation of the spell, but the concealment is not granted due to the shadows, else there would be no need to specify "Even creatures that can normally see in such conditions (such as with darkvision or low-light vision) have the miss chance in an area shrouded in magical darkness."

However, I have no personal investment in this question, just throwing out my opinion of the rules. :smallsmile:

bokodasu
2010-10-27, 09:06 AM
Q122

How does being grappled/pinned affect using supernatural abilities that aren't attacks, spells, or SLAs? Specifically, what would happen if you pinned a beholder?

Kaww
2010-10-27, 09:25 AM
A122

Beholder may use his SUs freely while grappled/pinned. Answer to what would happen if you pinned a beholder: Somebody would be in pain...

bokodasu
2010-10-27, 12:50 PM
Q123 (ish)

Ok, I got around to reading the entry, and the eye rays are listed as the beholder's "attack" and require a ranged touch attack. So it should be subject to the grapple rules, correct?

Souhiro
2010-10-28, 07:04 AM
I need to know... I'm GM a Pathfinder chronicle

One of the PC died, and pulled out a Druid. And now, I have a serious dillema about Wild Shape:

WildShaping grants the Druid the HP, HD, BAB and CA of the selected creature?
You know, i see a little gamebreaking that a Lvl-6 Druid, with less than 40Hp and +4 BMC can become a Wolly rhinoceros, with 76HP and CMB +16

Awetugiw
2010-10-28, 07:30 AM
A124 Wildshape doesn't grant most of these things. A pathfinder level 6 druid wildshaping into a wooly rhino would only gain +4 strength, -2 dex, +4 natural armor, see Beast Shape II (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/beastShape.html#beast-shape-ii).

In D&D 3.5 a druid wildshaping into a rhino would gain a lot more, but still wouldn't get the HP, HD or BaB of the animal.

theterran
2010-10-28, 07:55 AM
Q125

Will a tower shield make a druid lose his spellcasting ability for 24 hours? (Is a Tower Shield Metal?)

Duke of URL
2010-10-28, 08:14 AM
A 125

The druid is in luck:

Shield, Tower

This massive wooden shield is nearly as tall as you are.

Souhiro
2010-10-28, 08:47 AM
Q 126

Again with the Druid topic.
A druid wildshaping gains the natural attacks or Special non-magic, non-extraordinaire attacks? You know, the druid won't gain HP, but at least, he would gain enormous strenght, a gore +8 (2d8+13) plus his Druidric BAB...

bokodasu
2010-10-28, 10:06 AM
Q127

What happens to a Handy Haversack in an antimagic field?

Duke of URL
2010-10-28, 10:10 AM
A 127

It becomes a lot less handy. Like any other magical item, it is subject to the antimagic field property that "prevents the functioning of any magic items or spells within its confines."

Nothing dramatic or dangerous occurs, the item is simply not able to be used while inside the field.

Douglas
2010-10-28, 10:25 AM
A127 details

The Haversack becomes a normal bag, but its contents do not spill out everywhere. The normal storage space simply becomes inaccessible temporarily.

Duke of URL
2010-10-28, 11:01 AM
A 127, discussion

No, unlike a magical sword, that can function as a normal sword in an antimagic field, a handy haversack doesn't act like a normal storage container. It doesn't have pouches/pockets/components per se, it has extradimesnional spaces where those places would be. (Note that the item's description says that it "appears" to have these compartments, not that they are "real" apart from the extradimesnional space they actually are.) All of those spaces would be inaccessible inside of an antimagic field.

WarKitty
2010-10-28, 11:24 AM
Q128

Is there a listed magic item that would allow access to all languages the character knows, even in a form that could not normally speak them? Or failing that a spell to form the basis of such? I specifically need all languages, not just one.

bokodasu
2010-10-28, 11:51 AM
A128

I don't know of an item, but Tongues is the spell you're looking for. It lets you speak and understand any language, not just ones you already know, and while it doesn't enable the subject to speak with creatures that don't speak, it doesn't have any restrictions on the subject of the spell being able to speak normally or not.

WarKitty
2010-10-28, 12:17 PM
A128

I don't know of an item, but Tongues is the spell you're looking for. It lets you speak and understand any language, not just ones you already know, and while it doesn't enable the subject to speak with creatures that don't speak, it doesn't have any restrictions on the subject of the spell being able to speak normally or not.

No chance of anything cheaper? I'd feel awful shelling out all those skill points on my languages if I had to pay gold for something that makes them redundant just to use them.

Goudaa
2010-10-28, 12:58 PM
Q129

In regards to actions in combat: can a player use a swift on their turn and an immediate NOT on their turn but within the same round?

SRD doesn't perfectly clarify this, merely states they are "similiar" actions and that either can only be done ONCE on a single round. Please note your source for the clarification with RAW response.

Grynning
2010-10-28, 01:01 PM
A 129

Basically, if you use an immediate, it uses your swift for your next turn.

Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn (effectively, using an immediate action before your turn is equivalent to using your swift action for the coming turn). You also cannot use an immediate action if you are flat-footed.

Example:

Bob the Warblade is hit with a save-or-die effect. He activates a maneuver to replace the save, using his immediate action. He can't use a swift action on his next turn. He could still do this if he had used a swift action during his previous turn, but not if he'd already used another immediate action prior to this.

Goudaa
2010-10-28, 01:03 PM
A 129

Basically, if you use an immediate, it uses your swift for your next turn.

But what if it's your initiative, you use a swift. Can you then use an immediate that same round later in the initiative?

That's the clarity i'm failing to see.

Grynning
2010-10-28, 01:06 PM
But what if it's your initiative, you use a swift. Can you then use an immediate that same round later in the initiative?

That's the clarity i'm failing to see.

A 129, Continued:
You can use the immediate, as your initiative has already passed (your turn is over). As I said before, using your immediate is using your swift for your coming turn, not your last one.

Duke of URL
2010-10-28, 01:07 PM
A 129, followup

An immediate action uses your next turn's swift action. In the example you provide, you would be able to use an immediate action in that round, at the cost of the next round's swift action. (Nor could you make another immediate action until after your next turn.)

bokodasu
2010-10-28, 01:22 PM
No chance of anything cheaper? I'd feel awful shelling out all those skill points on my languages if I had to pay gold for something that makes them redundant just to use them.

Make everyone in your party spend the points to learn Pawsign? Create a skill bonus item that gives ranks in Perform: Mime?

At least it's cheaper than Telepathy. I haven't found any other spells or items that let you speak, and I looked pretty hard (but don't own every book, either).

WarKitty
2010-10-28, 01:48 PM
Make everyone in your party spend the points to learn Pawsign? Create a skill bonus item that gives ranks in Perform: Mime?

At least it's cheaper than Telepathy. I haven't found any other spells or items that let you speak, and I looked pretty hard (but don't own every book, either).

Party's not the issue. I have a pearl of speech. The issue is controlling summoned elementals.

Duke of URL
2010-10-28, 01:51 PM
If you're looking for specific character/build advice, it's probably best to start a new thread for that and leave this one for RAW Q&A.

WarKitty
2010-10-28, 02:00 PM
Done. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173769) Sorry didn't expect that to be more than a simple answer.

Grynning
2010-10-28, 02:02 PM
Q 130

I really should know this already, but with spell trigger items that have multiple spells in them (i.e. staves) how do they work for a character who has some of the spells in the item on their class list, but not all of them? Can they only activate the spells that appear on their class list, or can they use all the spells stored in the staff if they have even one of them?

Duke of URL
2010-10-28, 02:08 PM
A 130

Actually, a literal reading of RAW says they can use any spell in the staff:

Spell Trigger

Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Clearly, the RAI is that you would only be able to cast the spells on your list, but the description of spell trigger items is worded in such a way that knowing any one spell allows you use of the item.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-28, 04:15 PM
Re: A 130
Actually, a literal reading of RAW says they can use any spell in the staff:

Clearly, the RAI is that you would only be able to cast the spells on your list, but the description of spell trigger items is worded in such a way that knowing any one spell allows you use of the item.
Using the item, and using all functions of the item, are two different things; the rules do not say you can trigger all spells in a staff just because you know one such spell. (You could expend all the charges in a staff without ever triggering more than one of the spells inside.)
The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Determining spells that aren't on your class list will be harder, in any case.

ffone
2010-10-28, 05:44 PM
Q131

Are there any special restrictions on what free/swift actions a character can take between the attacks of a full attack? (SRD says you can 5' step but not take other movement actions, though those wouldn't be free anyway.)

Presumably drawing ammunition is okay (or a ranged full attack would be impossible and Rapid Shot would make no sense.) What about Quickened spells, swift action spells / items, etc?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-28, 06:15 PM
A 131
You can take a swift action any time you would normally be allowed to take a free action.
Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. Any other restrictions on swift/immediate actions, free actions, or 5' steps would come from individual feats, class abilities, or whatnot. (A 5' adjustment is "not an action" rather than a free action, but your question includes that as well.) Example:
Benefit: If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), you get an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach. You cannot take a 5-foot step before making this extra attack.

Souhiro
2010-10-29, 02:08 AM
Q126I asked before, but no one answered.

In 3P, when a Druid Wild-shapes, does he gains the natural or special attacks of the beast he have become? (and of course, proficiency with these)

A Druid-Rhino should be able to use Gore Attacks, and a Druid-Raven should be able to fly, and a Druid-Cod should be able to swim...

Awetugiw
2010-10-29, 07:27 AM
A261The druid gains the natural attacks, but at his own BaB and (possibly newly improved) strength bonus. To use the Woolly Rhinoceros example:

Suppose a human level 6 druid with 10 strength changes into the rhino. He gains the +4 strength from changing into a rhino so his strength modifier is +2 and has a BaB of +4. His new form is large so he takes a -1 size penalty to attack.
The gore attack is +5 (2d8+2).

He does not gain any special attacks unless specifically mentioned in the Beast Shape spell he imitates using Wild Shape. He will not get the Powerful Charge ability, but a druid of level 8 or higher will use Beast Shape III (or higher) and therefore gain the Trample special attack.

The DC and damage for the trample attack are not specifically mentioned. Using the monster creation guidelines one would end up with a trample damage of 2d6 + (newly improved) Str modifier and a DC of 10 + 1/2 * HD of the druid + (newly improved) Str modifier.

Wild Shape does grant most forms of movement the animal shape has, although depending on the level of the druid there are limits to the speed and maneuverability the druid gains, see the different Beast Shape spells for the details.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-29, 08:08 AM
Re: Q 126

I asked before, but no one answered.

In 3P, when a Druid Wild-shapes...
This thread is for D&D 3.5 questions. For Pathfinder, you'll want to pose your question in this other thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123432).

sreservoir
2010-10-29, 10:45 AM
Q 91 can RHD be PsyRef'd out?

reposted from some pages before.

sreservoir
2010-10-29, 10:47 AM
A128

A 128 cont'd

Crystal Mask of Languages, a universal psionic item, grant read/speak for five languages. this is probably enough for elementals.

bokodasu
2010-10-29, 10:52 AM
Q129

X has a free action.

I want to ready an action to start casting a full-round spell if X uses this action.

X takes its action, I interrupt and begin casting my spell.

A) Can X change its action after it sees me casting?

and

B) My initiative order changes to immediately before X's and my spell finishes before X's next turn, correct?

wait, also

C) Does this change if X takes its free action at the end of its turn rather than the beginning?

tyckspoon
2010-10-29, 10:55 AM
A 91

No. Psychic Reformation is quite specific about what it changes: You can modify skill choices, feat choices, and spell/power known choices. That's it.

Non-rules commentary:
A generous DM may extend Psychic Reformation to extend to other choices made on levelling, such as the variable-choice lists found in some PrCs (like Loremaster Secrets) or even to classes themselves. Even with such extension, racial Hit Dice should/would not qualify- they are generally not a choice you make for the character. Rather, they are a fundamental part of what the character is, and cannot be changed without changing the character's race (or leveldrain shenanigans.)

Swooper
2010-10-29, 11:54 AM
Q 130

The Deepwarden prestige class (Races of Stone, p105) has the Stone Warden class ability at 2nd level, which in short grants Con modifier to AC instead of Dex modifier. My question is this: Does maximum dex bonus from armour worn affect the con bonus to AC as if it were dexterity?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-29, 12:38 PM
A 129 A) Yes.

Your action has preceded X's action, and that action cannot compel X to behave in any particular way. Furthermore, you've now provided additional input that can influence X's actions.

Do note that Ready isn't divination magic; it's just a plan on how to respond. As such, it uses the character's senses to detect the triggering condition, and only perceived actions (such as the relaxing fingers of the hand that's about to drop an item) can initiate the plan.

A 129 B) No.
Initiative Consequences of Readying

Your initiative result becomes the count on which you took the readied action.
If two or more combatants have the same initiative check result, the combatants who are tied act in order of total initiative modifier (highest first). If there is still a tie, the tied characters should roll again to determine which one of them goes before the other.

You may end up acting either before or after X, depending on your relative initiative modifiers.

A 129 C) No.

D&D doesn't subdivide turns on an ongoing basis. When your initiative changes you get your whole set of available actions, and then on subsequent turns there's no interruption. The initiative count remains the same throughout your turn, with no further distinctions.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-29, 12:55 PM
A 130 Yes.

The Stone Warden ability is written as a substitution of CON bonus to AC in place of of DEX bonus to AC. As a replacement, the characteristics associated with the replaced ability are assumed by the replacement ability.

He adds his Constitution bonus to AC instead of his Dexterity, if the character’s Constitution bonus is higher. The deepwarden loses this bonus to his Armor Class whenever he would normally be denied his Dexterity bonus to AC.
Does the deepwarden’s Stone Warden ability (RS 105) still have a maximum Dexterity bonus to his Armor Class, and does that maximum still apply to his Constitution?
The maximum Dexterity bonus should be treated as the maximum ability bonus given by the armor, so if you were playing a deepwarden wearing full plate, you would only add 1 to your Armor Class from your Constitution. Note that this is an arguable point; some DMs don't see this as a replacement, merely an ability that shares all characteristics of the normal DEX bonus to AC except for the armor limitation; Stone Warden thus means the Deepwarden has permanently lost DEX bonus to AC (and therefore can always be sneak attacked). (Simple replacement as per the FAQ is the less controversial reading.)

bokodasu
2010-10-29, 01:07 PM
A 129 A) Yes.

Your action has preceded X's action, and that action cannot compel X to behave in any particular way. Furthermore, you've now provided additional input that can influence X's actions.

Well, drat. Oh, I left the Dex bonus part after my question, but if mine's higher it should work, right?

Ok... Q131

Is there any way to ready an action for after an opponent takes an action? But not delaying, because I want to interrupt their next action, whatever it is. (For example, could I say "I ready an action for whatever action they take after moving"?)

Douglas
2010-10-29, 01:11 PM
A129 A) dispute

Your readied action precedes the opponent's action, but his action is already declared and cannot be changed. Any other actions the opponent has in the round may take your readied action into account, but the specific action that triggered it is already committed to and beginning execution when you take your readied action. For example, if you ready to disrupt spellcasting by attacking, the spellcaster cannot decide after you hit that instead of wasting his spell he's going to shoot his crossbow.

A129 B) correction

For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready)

Duke of URL
2010-10-29, 01:24 PM
A 131

You can ready an action to occur on any particular event, as long as it can be reasonably described and it relies on information your character could perceive. So, you can ready an action to trigger when "enemy X moves, then attempts to Y" -- the readied action would occur after the movement, but before action Y.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-29, 01:50 PM
Re: A 129 A) dispute
Your readied action precedes the opponent's action, but his action is already declared and cannot be changed.
D&D doesn't use declared actions in most circumstances. (There are some exceptions, such as feats like Stunning Fist, or when choosing to fight with two weapons.) Character X is free to choose any legal actions.
The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. It's "he continues his actions", which is not the same as "he is required to continue the interrupted action".

A129 B) correction

For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.
While this is by itself correct, in practice it's easily overridden if the interrupted character has a superior initiative modifier.
Delay

By choosing to delay, you take no action and then act normally on whatever initiative count you decide to act. ... You can specify this new initiative result or just wait until some time later in the round and act then, thus fixing your new initiative count at that point. The character can decide to Delay to the same initiative count (no effective delay). That means they act immediately, but the next round the initiative tie-breaking rule comes into effect to sort them relative to others acting on the same initiative count. Delay only preserves initiative count and not the ordering of characters with the same count.

abadguy
2010-10-29, 02:00 PM
Q 132

What is the price of an item or enhancement that gives a +1 enhancement bonus to an ability score?

Duke of URL
2010-10-29, 02:16 PM
A 132

There isn't one in 3.5. Extrapolating from the formula for existing items, an affinity body slot item that granted a +1 bonus would be bonus2 x 1,000 gp, or 1,000 gp.

abadguy
2010-10-29, 02:18 PM
@Duke: Thanks. I thought so but needed a 2nd opinion :)

TheAmishPirate
2010-10-29, 02:29 PM
Q133: Apart from the Gauntlets of Ogre Power, the Belt of Giant Strength, and the Periapt of Wisdom, are there any other magic items that grant enhancement bonuses to Strength or Wisdom? I am specifically looking for items that use different slots than belt, hands, and neck.

OMG PONIES
2010-10-29, 03:37 PM
A133: I believe the DMG has ioun stones that provide an enhancement bonus to attributes. However, I am AFB right now.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-29, 04:02 PM
A 133

Magic Item Compendium introduced rules for adding common effects to items. An enhancement bonus to Strength is included, and may be added to any existing item in Waist (belt), Hands, and Arms slots; while an enhancement bonus to Wisdom may be added in Head and Throat slots. See the chart on page 234 of the book.

Magic of Faerûn has the Strength armor enhancement (+2 or +4 only); see page 137. Exoarmor (Underdark, page 71) grants a +4 enhancement to Strength.

The Seven Crowns (Head slot) have several properties including Strength enhancement; see Ghostwalk on page 73.

Book of Vile Darkness has a couple of relevant items on page 122. The Orb of Evil confers an enhancement bonus to Wisdom to its possessor; no body slot is used. The Crown of Evil provides an enhancement bonus to Strength (Head slot).

Gem of the Glitterdepth is a relic (Complete Divine, page 97) which confers a +6 enhancement bonus to Wisdom; no body slot is used.

A Headband of Perfect Excellence (Sword and Fist) boosts both Strength and Wisdom (Head slot).

An Ioun Stone - Incandescent Blue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones) takes up no body slot and enhances Wisdom by +2. Ioun Stone - Pale blue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones3) does the same for Strength.

soulsabre345
2010-10-29, 06:15 PM
Q134

How does the soulbow weapon enchancements and kensai bonuses interact?

I belive it would work like this, but i'm not sure:

say your a soulknife 4/ fighter 1 / soulbow 8. you have a +3 total enchancement bonus to the mind arrow, and +2 for special abilites (+5 total)

Now, if you take 5 levels of kensai, would it cost 3000 xp to bump it up to a +10 weapon, or 1000 xp to add +5 more onto the weapon?

and if you go past level 5 in kensai will your weapon improve at all or stay where it is at +10?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-29, 07:18 PM
A 134

Kensai Signature Weapon and Soulknife Mind Blade or Soulbow Mind Arrow weapon augmentations (there are no "enchancements") don't interact at all. The Kensai can only imbue a single masterwork or better weapon as their Signature Weapon, and both Mind Blade and Mind Arrow are created dynamically from psychic energy. Only a single instance of one of these would qualify as a Signature Weapon. When a Mind Blade is thrown or otherwise released, that instance is forever gone. Similarly, a Mind Arrow dissipates 1 round after being shot and is forever gone. A newly manifested version of Mind Blade or Mind Arrow is identical to the first instance, but it's not the same item. (Just as a sword otherwise identical to the Kensai's personal Signature Weapon isn't the same item.)

Grynning
2010-10-30, 12:13 AM
A 133, correction:

A 133
Gem of the Glitterdepth is a relic (Complete Divine, page 97) which confers a +6 enhancement bonus to Wisdom; no body slot is used.

This relic was updated to a throat slot item with only a +2 Wis bonus in its Magic Item Compendium incarnation. All of the Complete Divine relics were re-printed and significantly changed in that book (mostly for the better).

soulsabre345
2010-10-30, 01:33 AM
Q135

is there any way to turn dragons? (turn as in cleric turning)

Kaww
2010-10-30, 01:42 AM
Q135

is there any way to turn dragons? (turn as in cleric turning)

A135

Yes, scalykind domain, PGF, FR setting. You still have to have a high level cleric elder dragons...

ffone
2010-10-30, 03:48 AM
Q136

What is the action time for getting in or out of the 'outfits' (not armor) as in 'Goods and Services' (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsandservices.htm) such as the Noble's Outfit, etc.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-30, 07:40 AM
A 133, correction:

This relic was updated to a throat slot item with only a +2 Wis bonus in its Magic Item Compendium incarnation. All of the Complete Divine relics were re-printed and significantly changed in that book (mostly for the better). Thanks for the update. I missed that one. :smallsigh:

Speaking of updates:

A135

Yes, scalykind domain, PGF, FR setting. You still have to have a high level cleric elder dragons...
The most current version of Scalykind domain is in Spell Compendium on page 279, and it neither allows turning nor has any power over dragons.
Granted Power: Rebuke or command animals (reptilian creatures and snakes only) as an evil Cleric rebukes or commands undead. Use this ability a total number of times per day equal to 3 + Charisma modifier. Animals and dragons are different D&D types. (The Player's Guide to Faerûn version had a different spell list, but still had no power over dragons.)

Curmudgeon
2010-10-30, 07:53 AM
A 136

I don't think there's a RAW answer for that one. These outfits normally don't provide mechanical benefits in the game. Talk to your individual DM. For comparison, the lightest armor takes 5 rounds (30 seconds) to don hastily, and that doesn't include shoes.

sreservoir
2010-10-30, 04:04 PM
Q137

I hear of a few Shadowcraft Mage Cloistered Cleric and Archivist entries, but ScM's prereqs include a 4th-level arcane Illusion (Shadow). is there some way of treating divine spells as arcane?

soulsabre345
2010-10-30, 04:10 PM
Q138

This has probably been asked a couple times, but i don't know where to search for it

if you cast summon monster twice, or summon monster/ summon natures ally/ animate undead, how many active castings of each spell can you have in play? (not taking into account dm throwing a book at you for summoning a army)

i.e. if i cast animate undead, summon monster twice, and summon nature's ally, can i have potentially 4d4+4creatures active? and if possible, can you cite what rule allows or disallows this?

KillianHawkeye
2010-10-30, 04:59 PM
A 138

Yes, nothing prevents you from casting multiple summoning or animate dead spells in quick succession. The spells are entirely independant of each other, and so are the monsters gained from them. The only limit is how many times you can cast. Just be sure you're keeping track of all those spell durations!

Curmudgeon
2010-10-30, 06:59 PM
A 137

Shadowcraft Mage doesn't require arcane spells.
Spells: Able to cast at least three illusion spells, including at least one shadow spell of 4th level or higher. The Halfling and Sloth domains (Spell Compendium, pages 275 & 280) include Shadow Walk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowWalk.htm). All spells in the Shadow domain (Eberron Campaign Setting, page 108) of 4th level or higher are Illusion (Shadow). Or you can simply prepare Skull of Secrets (Magic of Faerûn, page 119), a 4th level Cleric Illusion (Shadow) spell.

But to answer your actual question (rather than your need):

The Southern Magician feat (Races of Faerûn, page 168) lets you cast a divine spell as arcane, or vice-versa, a limited number of times per day. It does has Faerûn-specific race requirements. Alternative Source Spell (Dragon # 325, page 61) lets you prepare a divine spell as arcane, or vice-versa, if you can already cast both arcane and divine spells.

sreservoir
2010-10-30, 07:08 PM
A 137

Shadowcraft Mage doesn't require arcane spells. The Halfling and Sloth domains (Spell Compendium, pages 275 & 280) include Shadow Walk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowWalk.htm). All spells in the Shadow domain (Eberron Campaign Setting, page 108) of 4th level or higher are Illusion (Shadow). Or you can simply prepare Skull of Secrets (Magic of Faerûn, page 119), a 4th level Cleric Illusion (Shadow) spell.

okay, so rereading the prc creates a new question: if you're qualifying with divine spells, you're basically just losing caster levels, because you have nothing arcane to advance, yes?

But to answer your actual question (rather than your need):

The Southern Magician feat (Races of Faerûn, page 168) lets you cast a divine spell as arcane, or vice-versa, a limited number of times per day. It does has Faerûn-specific race requirements. Alternative Source Spell (Dragon # 325, page 61) lets you prepare a divine spell as arcane, or vice-versa, if you can already cast both arcane and divine spells.

so, would Southern Magician allow you to, say, qualify and advance both sides of mystic theurge?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-30, 07:40 PM
Q 139

okay, so rereading the prc creates a new question: if you're qualifying with divine spells, you're basically just losing caster levels, because you have nothing arcane to advance, yes?
A 139

Again, Shadowcraft Mage has no arcane spellcasting requirement. A Cleric entering into Shadowcraft Mage will gain "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" at every level of that PrC. No caster levels are lost.

Edit: I think perhaps your confusion comes from this:
The requirement for a 4th-level spell from the shadow subschool restricts this class to arcane spellcasters. This note is only under the Adaptation section preceding the PrC requirements. Unless you adapt the class to remove the Gnome race requirement, Shadowcraft Mage does not have any arcane spellcasting requirement.

Q 140

so, would Southern Magician allow you to, say, qualify and advance both sides of mystic theurge?
A 140

Qualify, yes; advance, no. Southern Magician only treats a few individual spells as of the other type. You still don't have an "existing arcane spellcasting class" if you're converting divine spells, or "existing divine spellcasting class" if you're converting arcane spells.

ffone
2010-10-31, 03:55 AM
Q141

For an on-command, unlimited use item such as the Ring of Blinking or Ring of Invisibility which casts a spell as a duration: suppose the character wishes to 'renew' the duration of the effect before the last casting has expired (for example, she's about to make an ambush). Can she do so with a single standard action to 'cast' the spell again (thus 'overlapping' the old cast with another one with a 'fresher' duration), or can she only have one 'copy' of the spell in effect at a time? If the latter, can she 'dismiss' the old one (std. action) and then on the next round 'cast the new one?

Eloel
2010-10-31, 03:57 AM
Q141

For an on-command, unlimited use item such as the Ring of Blinking or Ring of Invisibility which casts a spell as a duration: suppose the character wishes to 'renew' the duration of the effect before the last casting has expired (for example, she's about to make an ambush). Can she do so with a single standard action to 'cast' the spell again (thus 'overlapping' the old cast with another one with a 'fresher' duration), or can she only have one 'copy' of the spell in effect at a time? If the latter, can she 'dismiss' the old one (std. action) and then on the next round 'cast the new one?

She can cast another for a fresher duration.

Zom B
2010-10-31, 06:43 AM
Q142

If two creatures act on the same initiative, and the actions of one determine whether the other succeeds or fails, what is the proper resolution? For instance, my summoned Fiendish Ape attacks and rolls a 17 to hit. My summoner, on the same initiative, casts a successful Ray of Clumsiness (1d6+1 dex penalty), lowering the ape's target's AC from 18 to 16. Does the ape hit?

Yora
2010-10-31, 06:49 AM
A142: No two characters ever act at the same time. If both have the same Initiative count, the one with the higher Dexterity score goes first, and when he's finished with his turn, the other character gets his turn.

Zom B
2010-10-31, 07:00 AM
A142: No two characters ever act at the same time. If both have the same Initiative count, the one with the higher Dexterity score goes first, and when he's finished with his turn, the other character gets his turn.

Partially incorrect. I just found it:

If two or more combatants have the same initiative check result, the combatants who are tied act in order of total initiative modifier (highest first). If there is still a tie, the tied characters should roll again to determine which one of them goes before the other.

cd4
2010-10-31, 08:54 AM
Q143

If I have a spellblade weapon (Player's guide to Faerun) and the spell chosen gets cast at me several times during the enemies turn, does the weapon stop all of those spells or only the first one?

Q144

I know of Defending and Spellblade but what other enchantments for weapons are there that increase your defence somehow?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-31, 09:48 AM
A 143

The spellblade weapon gives you immunity to a single spell targeted against you. That's all instances of that spell, as long as you wield the weapon.

Raendyn
2010-10-31, 10:34 AM
A 128

By following the rules in DMG (p. 285) for continuous spell effect :

Use-activated or continuous price : Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp

If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1
minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater,
divide the cost in half.

From the table somewhere later in DMG it must be a neck,head or eye slot.
If a Bard creates it then the cost is :

2 x 4 x 2,000 x 150% (because of 10min/level duration) = 24,000 gold.

Raendyn
2010-10-31, 11:03 AM
Q145

Does Ranger's fighting styles act as the feat? Or as if he had the feat.
My question is, if i take WTF from Ranger can i take any othe feat from the chain as a normal feat and/or from other bonus feats?

Is the answer hidden in something so small like ( you gain X as a bonus feat) & (you gain X as if you had the feat)

Q146

I read yesterday here in the forums that someone took UMagus with a 5 lvl Wiz who had spontaneous Div. & he was taking 2 spellcasting lvls /UM lvl.
When i tried to convince him thats not possible more than one guys yelled at me that i am wrong!...
Am I?

Q146b :
Same question for mystic theurge with Wiz X/CLr 1 or Clr X / Wiz 1 , and a way to get 2nd lvl spellcasting at only 1 lvl of class ( feats & etc /ways to cast arcane as divine or the opposite...)

Q147

Lets say you worship Red Knight(FR) or any god that gives planning domain..
You take extend as a bonus feat. Then you take persistent & Probably DMM Persist...
then you loose that domain ( change god,trade for devotion,trade for fighter feat with O.champion, & many many other ways) What happens to the rest of your feat chain?

Q148

You are a human & you die,then you are reincarnated into something else (let's say elf) what happens to your bonus feet?

Q149

When you qualify for something ( feat,PrC's) Shouldn't you do that naked & with no active spells on you?
Can i take Hulkin Hurler just because i have an item that enlarges me?

Q150

Do nightsticks stack?Belts of battle? etc... ?
A friend answered me that they stack but they do not replenish at dawn ( as described ) unless they stay equipted for 24h.Meaning that they must occupy the slot in order to recharge.
Is he right?Or that a houserule someone else told him too...?

Q151

What happens When someone optimizes Shadow Evoc/Conjure to exceed 100% ?
I hope there is a cap in 100%....

Q152

Can a red wizard heighten to lvl 40? or the heightens own threshold of 9th lvl apply normally?

Q153

Scorching ray (3 rays)= > twined /split ray / chained....
=24 rays all chained?

Q154

Can abilities that after completion grand a attack(or full attack) be combined with abilities that require you to attack?

example: Pounce & Duskblade's channeling ability

Q155

What other classes appart from ranger & pally have caster lvl = half class lvl?
Is bard one of them?

I 'll come back with few more :smallbiggrin:

abadguy
2010-10-31, 11:53 AM
Q156

Can you combine more than one item under the rules of Combining Items in MIC Pg 232? For e.g Could I combine a Boots of Striding of Springing to a Boots of Agile Leaping and Anklets of Translocation? Total cost would be:
5500 (BoSS) plus 300 (1/2 cost of BoAgile Leaping) plus 700 (1/2 cost of Anklets )

Q157

Could you limit the distance you jump voluntarily when making a Jump check?
E.g Total jump check result is 20 for running jump but I only want to jump 10 ft
If not, what feats/class abilities/magic items enable a PC to do so?

Awetugiw
2010-10-31, 01:01 PM
A145 The ranger is treated as if he had the feat (as long as he is wearing light or no armor). As such you can take things that have the feat in question as prerequisite.

A157 You can. In order to jump a certain distance you have to make a certain DC jump check. If your jump check is equal to the DC or higher you succeed and therefore jump the specified distance.

Technically by the RAW it is not possible to jump a variable distance depending on your jump check ("I want to jump as far as possible") but it will probably be allowed in most cases.

EDIT for clarification:
The order in which things happen for a jump is:
1) You declare the distance you want to jump, thus determining the DC.
2) You roll your jump check.
3) If check >= DC you succeed and jump distance you specified in step 1.

More EDIT: editing in answer to other question to prevent double posting.

Raendyn
2010-10-31, 01:30 PM
A145 The ranger is treated as if he had the feat (as long as he is wearing light or no armor). As such you can take things that have the feat in question as prerequisite.

here exactly is where i have my doubts... That "as if" is what makes the problem... & what if you wear heavy armor? you loose the chain too?

A friend of mine said ( and i have to admit he had a point) :

Abilities that give X as a bonus feat are ok.

Abilities that make you act as if you had the feat do not count as the feat itshelf.& here he added that even NWN2 treats ranger's fighting styles as something different than feats....
( ok i know.. not the best argument, but still WotC supervised the game)

Awetugiw
2010-10-31, 02:27 PM
A145part II: Being "treated as if you have the feat" means nothing more or less than that the question "do you have the feat" is asked you are treated in the same way as someone who does have the feat. Effectively the rules cannot distinguish between you and someone who has the feat.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-31, 02:28 PM
Re: A 145

here exactly is where i have my doubts... That "as if" is what makes the problem... & what if you wear heavy armor? you loose the chain too?
The Ranger is treated as having the appropriate combat style feats when wearing light or no armor. Your Ranger character would be treated as having those feats both for use in combat and for any other game considerations, inlcuding prerequisites for other feats.
A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite. If your Ranger puts on heavier armor you can't use those feats, or any feats for which those are prerequisites. If your Ranger takes off the heavier armor you are again treated as if you had those feats.

The only special rules here which treat the Ranger's "as if" feats differently are the class's armor restrictions. All other rules operate as usual.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-31, 02:39 PM
A 150

Nightsticks are not subject to the D&D stacking rules.
Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). The number of turn attempts a character can make daily is not a modifier to a check or roll.

Each Belt of Battle works as described in Magic Item Compendium. As this item occupies the Waist body slot, only one can be used at a time. Wear limits for any Belt of Battle other than those specified in MIC are house rules.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-31, 02:43 PM
A 152

The Red Wizard is subject to the Heighten Spell limits. The Red Wizard's Circle Powers alter caster level, which has no direct effect on the spell level altered by Heighten Spell.

Awetugiw
2010-10-31, 02:48 PM
A147 Like with the ranger in heavy armor the character will lose the feats further up in the feat chain. The quote Curmudgeon gave a couple of posts back is from the "feats" section in the SRD, by the way.

A149 You can take feats/classes/whatever you only qualify for through a spell/magic item/whatever. You do lose everything from the feat/class/whatever the moment you lose your spell/magic item/whatever though.

On a not RaW note, be careful when doing this as many DMs highly dislike this kind of thing.

A150 Unless you want to do some serious advanced wordsmithing the nightsticks stack. Using multiple Belts of Battle (by switching out belts) does work in theory. There is no rule that requires you to wear an item for it to recharge.

Again, this will make many DMs somewhat angry, which is probably also where the houserule you mention comes from.

A152partial: The Forgotten Realms Campaign setting version of the Red Wizard prestige class does not allow a spell to be heightened further than 9th level. Other versions of the prestige class (it is in other books too IIRC) might give different results.

EDIT: below Curmudgeon points out that the Red Wizard is reprinted in the 3.5 DMG. Oops, how could I forget about that one. The answer remains the same though: a spell cannot be heightened to over level 9, as the heightening effect from Circle Powers works by letting you apply the Heighten Spell feat.

A155partial: the bard has full caster level progression, unlike ranger and paladin.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-31, 02:52 PM
A 154

I don't understand your general question. As for the specific question, the Duskblade's Arcane Channeling (level 3-12) cannot be combined with Pounce, because Arcane Channeling uses a standard action and Pounce uses a full-round action. From level 13 on Arcane Channeling can be used as part of a full attack and is thus compatible with Pounce.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-31, 02:56 PM
A152partial: The Forgotten Realms Campaign setting version of the Red Wizard prestige class does not allow a spell to be heightened further than 9th level. Other versions of the prestige class (it is in other books too IIRC) might give different results.
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting is a D&D 3.0 book. The Red Wizard is in the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide, and thus the FRCS version is unavailable in any 3.5 D&D game.

Awetugiw
2010-10-31, 02:56 PM
A153 Chain Spell cannot be used on Scorching Ray. Chain Spell can only be used on spells that "specify a single target", while scorching ray lets you specify multiple targets.

Awetugiw
2010-10-31, 03:12 PM
A148 The ex-human keeps the feat. To quote the Reincarnation spell description:

It retains any class abilities, feats, or skill ranks it formerly possessed.

Awetugiw
2010-10-31, 03:16 PM
A151 The Shadow Evocation/Conjuration spells do not have a protection against being optimized to over 100%. A spell optimized to 120% would deal 120% damage.

Do note that while the Shadow spells themselves have no such protection the means to optimize them might.

GeminiVeil
2010-10-31, 03:31 PM
A148 The ex-human keeps the feat. To quote the Reincarnation spell description:

A148 Dispute
I would think it depends on how you interrpret the sentance. It could mean that any abilities, feats, or skill points derived from class levels are kept, On the other hand, it could mean only class abilities are kept, and any feats or skill ranks you have, no matter the source, are kept. Personally, I usually err on the side of the first. Maybe someone else could say I'm wrong, though.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-31, 03:53 PM
Re: A 148 Dispute

I would think it depends on how you interrpret the sentance. It could mean that any abilities, feats, or skill points derived from class levels are kept... Maybe someone else could say I'm wrong, though.
You're wrong, though. :smallwink:

While it may seem unreasonable, we're talking RAW here.
A reincarnated creature recalls the majority of its former life and form. It retains any class abilities, feats, or skill ranks it formerly possessed. Its class, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and hit points are unchanged. Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores depend partly on the new body. First eliminate the subject’s racial adjustments (since it is no longer of his previous race) and then apply the adjustments found below to its remaining ability scores. The subject’s level (or Hit Dice) is reduced by 1. The subject of Reincarnate may lose feat(s) as a result of the spell, but it retains its racial bonus feats, without exception. Racial adjustments (changes to the 6 D&D ability scores) are eliminated, followed by loss of one level.
Level Loss

A character who loses a level instantly loses one Hit Die. The character’s base attack bonus, base saving throw bonuses, and special class abilities are now reduced to the new, lower level. Likewise, the character loses any ability score gain, skill ranks, and any feat associated with the level (if applicable). Any feats attained at the character's last level are lost.

GeminiVeil
2010-10-31, 04:14 PM
Re: A 148 Dispute

You're wrong, though. :smallwink:

While it may seem unreasonable, we're talking RAW here. The subject of Reincarnate may lose feat(s) as a result of the spell, but it retains its racial bonus feats, without exception. Racial adjustments (changes to the 6 D&D ability scores) are eliminated, followed by loss of one level. Any feats attained at the character's last level are lost.

A148 cont.
Yes, I know we are talking RAW. :smallwink: However, the sentance you quoted can read either way. If I said that I had a brown car, a chair, and eyes, it could be read as all the items are brown, or just the car. Similarly, if I said you retained all class abilities, feats, and skill ranks, I could just be referring to the class abilities, or I could be refering to class abilities, class feats, and class skill ranks. Please note, I am not saying you are wrong, just that the same sentance could read two different ways.

And I didn't say it was unreasonable either. In which case, maybe I add a new question here.

Q158
Exactly, what racially IS lost with reincarnate? Do I lose dwarven stonecunning? Stop treating dwarven urgoshes as martial instead of exotic? Darkvision? (assuming the new form did not have darkvision, that is)
Q158b
And if I was a human before, and rolled up a human on reincarnate, would I then get another bonus feat?

Sorry, that was actually 2 questions. split up now for ease.

Awetugiw
2010-10-31, 05:20 PM
A158 Unfortunately the Reincarnate text does not specify that you lose anything other than the str, dex and con* modifiers of the original race. By RaW you would therefore keep all racial abilities you mentioned.

*Note that while your con score may change your "hit points are unchanged"...

A158b Reincarnate grants all racial abilities except languages. Therefore, a human reincarnating as a human could gain his racial feat a second time. Note that this is only gained at first level though.

Using the RaW might not be the best option in this case.

GeminiVeil
2010-10-31, 05:46 PM
A158 Unfortunately the Reincarnate text does not specify that you lose anything other than the str, dex and con* modifiers of the original race. By RaW you would therefore keep all racial abilities you mentioned.

*Note that while your con score may change your "hit points are unchanged"...

A158b Reincarnate grants all racial abilities except languages. Therefore, a human reincarnating as a human could gain his racial feat a second time. Note that this is only gained at first level though.

Using the RaW might not be the best option in this case.

Wow. Alright, never knew that about that spell. I will have to keep that in mind for future use. Thanks you you as well as Curmudgeon For the info.

sreservoir
2010-10-31, 05:59 PM
Q 159

Are there any arcane casting classes, with 1st level spells at 1st level, with survival in its class skills? (Including PrCs which have their own arcane casting, but not those that require existing casting ability.)

CockroachTeaParty
2010-10-31, 06:19 PM
Q 160

If a creature with a fly speed has its speed reduced, by say, becoming entangled, does that lower the minimum forward speed to stay aloft (usually half for most maneuverabilities)? Or does the reduced speed limit the choices of such a flyer, such that any movement other than a straight line would cause them to fall?

Jastermereel
2010-10-31, 06:51 PM
Q 161

In the course of an encounter, if a barbarian rages, the rage's duration ends, and the barbarian become fatigued......can they spend an action point (Eberron Campaign Setting) to re-rage OR do action points only allow for another use per day provided the extra use doesn't break the "one rage per encounter" rule?

The answer will may be a matter of life or death for the party when the encounter resumes in two weeks time.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-31, 07:08 PM
A 160

The minimum forward speed requirement does not change. For maneuverability classes of average and lower, turning in level flight or gaining altitude would not be possible with a move action if reduced to half speed; the character would be required to use a double move in order to stay aloft with any maneuvering that didn't involve loss of altitude.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-31, 07:09 PM
A 161

Action points will allow extra daily uses of the Barbarian's rage ability. Action points do not change the limitation that a barbarian can fly into a rage only once per encounter.

soulsabre345
2010-11-01, 01:51 AM
Q161

does a warlock who's using the eldritch glaive blast shape gain any benefit from having a high strength score?

abadguy
2010-11-01, 05:22 AM
Q162
Since we're on the topic of locks, need some clarification on what prestige classes which advance spellcasting do for the lock (Pg 18, C.Arcane).
I know it advances:
- eldritch blast damage
- invocations known as per class list

Does it advance:
- invocation upgrades? For e.g ability to know lesser invocations at 6th, greater at 11th and dark at 16th
- invocation swapping at levels 6, 11 and 16?

Duke of URL
2010-11-01, 07:20 AM
A 161 162

Yes. As much as I personally dislike it, Eldritch Glaive does gain to-hit and damage bonuses for a high Strength (or penalties for a low Strength), and can even be used in conjunction with Power Attack.

A 162 163

Prestige classes levels that grant an increase in invoker level do count toward higher invocation grades and the ability to swap an invocation for another of the same grade or lower when a new grade of invocations is attained.

Partysan
2010-11-01, 12:21 PM
Q 164:
Is it possible to trip a prone opponent?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-01, 12:25 PM
A 164 No.

Tripping makes an opponent fall prone.

Partysan
2010-11-01, 12:35 PM
A 164 No.

Tripping makes an opponent fall prone.

Clarification: Case is, a character has a special ability activating after a successful trip attack. So, even if the trip itself does nothing, he'd gain something by doing it. By RAW, can he make the trip attempt, even though it by itself has no effect if successful?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-01, 01:04 PM
By RAW, can he make the trip attempt, even though it by itself has no effect if successful?
No. He can't succeed on the attempt, because an already prone character cannot fall prone. You cannot trip an already prone opponent any more than you can kill an already dead opponent, no matter how good your attack is in either case.

Partysan
2010-11-01, 01:11 PM
No. He can't succeed on the attempt, because an already prone character cannot fall prone. You cannot trip an already prone opponent any more than you can kill an already dead opponent, no matter how good your attack is in either case.

Well you know, I'm all with you, I just need a RAW citation to back it up. Please?
I have my PHB all open on 158/159 but I can't find something that forbids it.

I find: "You can try to trip an opponent as an unarmed melee attack. You can only trip an opponent who is one size category larger than you, the same size, or smaller."
"If you win, you trip the defender."
"A tripped character is prone."
But while this says that tripping a prone character does nothing it doesn't say you can't.
OF COURSE you can't, it doesn't make any sense, but RAW often doesn't, and I'd like to know if I can somehow prove it does at that point.

sreservoir
2010-11-01, 02:24 PM
Q 159

Are there any arcane casting classes, with 1st level spells at 1st level, with survival in its class skills? (Including PrCs which have their own arcane casting, but not those that require existing casting ability.)

should I assume implicit no to this?

Q 165

when levelling, do you gain feats or levels first, or simultaneously?

if the latter:

Q 165a

can a feat have prerequisites gained from the level to be gained (provided that gaining the level does not itself depend on the feat), and

Q 165b

can a level have prerequisites gained from the feat to be gained (provided that gaining the feat does not itself depend on the level)?

Trouvere
2010-11-01, 02:40 PM
Q 159

Are there any arcane casting classes, with 1st level spells at 1st level, with survival in its class skills? (Including PrCs which have their own arcane casting, but not those that require existing casting ability.)A 159 Prime Underdark Guide fulfils those requirements.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-01, 02:40 PM
Well you know, I'm all with you, I just need a RAW citation to back it up. Please?
My point was that there won't be such a rules entry, any more than there will be a rules entry saying you can't kill a character who is already dead.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-01, 02:43 PM
A 165

All your questions are answered in the Player's Handbook section on LEVEL ADVANCEMENT, pages 58-59. This isn't Open Gaming Content.

Scarey Nerd
2010-11-01, 03:52 PM
Q 166

If a tiny creature is in an opponents square and attacking with a melee weapon, and the opponent is being threated by another ally, does the tiny creature get flanking, and therefore sneak attack?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-01, 04:08 PM
A 166 No.
Tiny, Diminutive, and Fine Creatures

Very small creatures take up less than 1 square of space. This means that more than one such creature can fit into a single square. A Tiny creature typically occupies a space only 2½ feet across, so four can fit into a single square. Twenty-five Diminutive creatures or 100 Fine creatures can fit into a single square. Creatures that take up less than 1 square of space typically have a natural reach of 0 feet, meaning they can’t reach into adjacent squares. They must enter an opponent’s square to attack in melee. This provokes an attack of opportunity from the opponent. You can attack into your own square if you need to, so you can attack such creatures normally. Since they have no natural reach, they do not threaten the squares around them. You can move past them without provoking attacks of opportunity. They also can’t flank an enemy. Regardless of their position, tiny creatures can never flank anything.

Ilmryn
2010-11-01, 04:37 PM
Q 167: The entangling exhalation feat from Races of the Dragon seems, well, a bit unfinished. Does it allow a save, or is it a foolproof entangle?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-01, 05:55 PM
A 167

You're right about Entangling Exhalation looking unfinished. As written it allows no saving throw to avoid becoming entangled. Neither does it set the Strength check DC to break free, nor the Escape Artist DC to slip loose (though the DC for Entangle is probably OK). The simplest way to avoid the effect is to take no damage from the breath weapon, either through energy resistance or damage reduction.

Claudius Maximus
2010-11-01, 06:10 PM
Q 168

As a mirror to the question about tiny creatures flanking, can a tiny or smaller creature in a larger creature's space be flanked by an adjacent ally of the larger creature?

Noodles2375
2010-11-01, 07:00 PM
Q 169

I thought I read somewhere that psionic manifesters can manifest powers from power stones without flushing the power stone by tapping their own power point pool. However, I can't seem to find anything that indicates this in the SRD entry on power stones:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/powerStones.htm

Did I make this up, or did I actually read it in another different source material?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-01, 07:56 PM
A 168 No.

Flanking requires that you be on the opposite side of an enemy from your ally. The ally sharing the same space as the tiny creature can not be opposite them.
flank

To be directly on the other side of a character who is being threatened by another character. A flanking attacker gains a +2 flanking bonus on attack rolls against the defender. A rogue can sneak attack a defender that she is flanking.

cd4
2010-11-02, 12:30 PM
Q170

Can I make an item that casts a spell using scrolls/wands/staffs to get the spell because I haven't got the level?

E.g. I want to make an item of mind blank but I am only a level 10 wizard, could I buy some scrolls/staffs of mind blank and use those to create the item?

If so what would the Caster Level of the item be?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-02, 01:53 PM
A 170 Yes.

You can obtain the spell requirements of your crafting from any means you like. You personally must have the necessary item creation feat(s) and satisfy the feat prerequisites. The caster level of the crafted item will be that of the lowest CL used (cast, completed, or triggered) in any of the days required to finish the item.

Armethious
2010-11-02, 03:11 PM
Q 171

Is there a base class that can cast up to 9th level divine spells and uses either Cha or Int as they Key ability? If so what book is it found in?

OMG PONIES
2010-11-02, 03:22 PM
A171:

A shugenja (from Complete Divine) is a divine caster who uses CHA to determine what spells he can cast, save DCs, and bonus spells per day. In the same source, the spirit shaman uses CHA to determine her save DCs, but what spells she can cast (as well as bonus spells per day) are based on her WIS. Favored soul uses CHA for determining what spells she can cast and bonus spells per day, though the save DCs of her spells are based on her WIS.

Armethious
2010-11-02, 05:42 PM
Q 172

If a Favored Soul takes a prestige class that grants a domain, are those domain spells just added to their spells known? Or do they now get 1 bonus domain spell? Or is it they add a new spell they can choose from either the domain lists or normal cleric list?

Keld Denar
2010-11-02, 05:48 PM
A 172

This is pretty explicitly covered one of the opening chapters of Complete Divine. The spell is added to their class list (for things like using Spell Trigger items) and they may select it as one of their spells known when they reach the appropriate level. I don't remember if there is an extra limit on the number of times you can cast it (like Arcane Disciple has), but if there is, its on that page.

Thurbane
2010-11-02, 06:39 PM
Q 173

Are there any PrCs (or feats, other than the obvious Extra Spell) that add to a Favored Soul's spells known, the way a Sandshaper or Fiend Blooded does for a Sorcerer?

OMG PONIES
2010-11-02, 06:57 PM
A171 additional:

Missed the request for INT-based divine casters. My personal favorite is the archivist, found in Heroes of Horror.

Private-Prinny
2010-11-02, 07:10 PM
Q174

If I took a feat like Swift Hunter/Daring Outlaw/Ascetic Knight etc. while playing a gestalt between the two classes it advances, what would happen? (i.e. Ranger/Scout gestalt w/Swift Hunter)

Keld Denar
2010-11-02, 07:20 PM
A 174

While there is no hard rule for this, there are 3 suggestions:

A) Like duel advancement PrCs are highly discouraged, so should duel advancement feats

B) Abilities gained on both sides sumultaneously are redundant (like if you were a Fighter6//Sorcerer6 who advanced as a Mindbender1//Sorcerer+1 on the next level, you'd only gain +1 level of spellcasting instead of 2)

C) Each side of gestalt is independant WRT those abilities. You'd add up all your Scout + Ranger levels on ONE side of the build to determine your Skirmish damage. Levels on the other side don't count. Use the higher side's values. A Ranger//Scout would never have more Skirmish than a X20//Scout4/Ranger16.

abadguy
2010-11-02, 08:46 PM
A171 Additional
Don't forget the Artificier, also uses Int for his infusions.

OMG PONIES
2010-11-02, 10:37 PM
A171 Additional
Don't forget the Artificier, also uses Int for his infusions.

A171 clarification: unfortunately, infusions are neither arcane nor divine, and as such do not meet the criteria of the request.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-11-03, 11:02 AM
Q 175

The Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) barbarian rage alternate class feature bestows an extra attack at the barbarian's highest attack bonus. Does this extra attack only occur on a full attack, or can they make two attacks in a round as a standard action?

Duke of URL
2010-11-03, 11:40 AM
A 175

This applies to any attack made on the barbarian's turn, unlike similar abilities such as a monk's flurry of blows or the Rapid Shot feat.

OMG PONIES
2010-11-03, 11:52 AM
A 175 dispute: A character using Whirling Frenzy may only do so by taking a full attack. From the SRD:

A character who can make more than one attack per round must use the full attack action...in order to get more than one attack.

Duke of URL
2010-11-03, 12:02 PM
A 175, discussion

The description for Whirling Frenzy says:

. While in a whirling frenzy, the barbarian may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round.

There is no requirement to use a full-attack action listed. Contrast to a monk's flurry of blows ability:

A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.

And the Rapid Shot feat:

You must use the full attack action to use this feat.

Note that feats and special abilities generally change the way the default rules work, so a special ability would be a specific case that trumps a general one.

OMG PONIES
2010-11-03, 12:47 PM
A 175 discussion:

Note that feats and special abilities generally change the way the default rules work, so a special ability would be a specific case that trumps a general one.

For a specific rule to trump a general one, it must provide a specific clause. For example:

Dual Strike (Complete Adventurer) allows two attacks as a standard action.
Wolf Fang Strike (Tome of Battle) allows two attacks as a standard action.

Whirling Frenzy carries no specific statement that it takes a standard action; instead, it merely provides multiple attacks per round. As such, it must follow the general rule for multiple attacks per round, which is that they are only available on a full attack. The problem is not that Whirling Frenzy lacks a statement that it can only occur on a full attack--the problem is that flurry of blows and Rapid Shot don't require such a statement to begin with.

Please start a new thread and provide the link if you'd like to discuss this further.

Duke of URL
2010-11-03, 12:48 PM
A 175, continued

And yet all similar abilities explicitly require a full-attack action; whirling frenzy does not.

At this point, further discussion should be moved to a separate thread, and not remain in Simple Q&A.

Fisticuffs
2010-11-03, 03:58 PM
Q 176

When making TOB characters how do you select Maneuvers Know? They know more maneuvers then their chosen discipline has so I assume you can select outside of them, but I can't find a section that tells me where to get them.

dragonsamurai77
2010-11-03, 04:02 PM
A 176

"Chosen disciplines" don't exist. You can take maneuvers from any discipline available to your class.

Ilmryn
2010-11-03, 04:16 PM
A 167

You're right about Entangling Exhalation looking unfinished. As written it allows no saving throw to avoid becoming entangled. Neither does it set the Strength check DC to break free, nor the Escape Artist DC to slip loose (though the DC for Entangle is probably OK). The simplest way to avoid the effect is to take no damage from the breath weapon, either through energy resistance or damage reduction.

Q 167 additional: Is there any errata for it? If so, where?

Duke of URL
2010-11-03, 04:29 PM
A 176

"Chosen disciplines" don't exist. You can take maneuvers from any discipline available to your class.

... that you meet the prerequisites for, of course.

When people talk about choosing disciplines, it's just referring to needing to focus on one (or two) of the disciplines in order to meet the prerequisites down the road for hte higher-level maneuvers.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-03, 05:26 PM
A 167 additional No.

The Official D&D Errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20060531a) page has nothing for Races of the Dragon, so there are no errata for that book.

soulsabre345
2010-11-03, 05:55 PM
Q177

a) Is there any way for a fighter to gain autohypnosis as a class skill?

b) is there any other means to gain the capability to take weapon specialization without 4 levels in fighter or 6 levels in warblade?

preferably without using a eberron book to do so

Duke of URL
2010-11-03, 06:04 PM
A 177

A) Certain feats, like Education, can add skills to a class skills list.

B) Not that I'm aware of.

Ozymandias9
2010-11-03, 06:09 PM
A177

a) I don't know of any feats that directly offer autohypnosis as an addition to the list. Able learner will let you buy it at the class skill rate. A level of human paragon will let you keep it as a class skill for all further levels.

b) No, at least not without reaching into things like the Dark Chaos Shuffle.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-03, 06:14 PM
A 177 a)

There's a quasi-legal feat called Skill Knowledge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm#skillKnowledge) in Unearthed Arcana. The "quasi-legal" rubric comes because it's in a sidebar in the section on "Alternative Skill Systems". However, it's listed as a general feat that's not dependent on any alternative skill mechanics (see page 81). Talk to your DM to see if they'll allow it.

A 177 b)

The Favored Soul gets Weapon Specialization in their deity's favored weapon at level 12, the Divine Crusader gets the same at level 5, and the Pious Templar gets it at level 3; see Complete Divine for all of these classes.

Edit: A couple of A 177 corrections

A) Certain feats, like Education, can add skills to a class skills list.
Education (in both the Forgotten Realms and Eberron versions) only pertains to Knowledge skills.

b) No, at least not without reaching into things like the Dark Chaos Shuffle.
Shun the Dark Chaos won't accomplish this.
If the subject possesses any Abyssal heritor feats, one of them is immediately removed and replaced by any other feat for which the subject qualifies (except an Abyssal heritor feat).

soulsabre345
2010-11-03, 10:23 PM
Q 178

for a soulbow looking at deepwood sniper, does weapon focus (Mind Arrows) allow the soulbow to quallify or does it need to be weapon focus for a conventional ranged weapon?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-03, 10:46 PM
A 178

Arrows (of any sort) are ammunition. Deepwood Sniper requires Weapon Focus with a bow or crossbow, so Mind Arrow does not qualify.

Thurbane
2010-11-03, 10:57 PM
Q 173

Are there any PrCs (or feats, other than the obvious Extra Spell) that add to a Favored Soul's spells known, the way a Sandshaper or Fiend Blooded does for a Sorcerer?
Re-post for a new page...

ffone
2010-11-04, 02:18 AM
Q179

Are there any magic items or spells which specifically boost saves vs fear?

Kaww
2010-11-04, 03:45 AM
Q179

Are there any magic items or spells which specifically boost saves vs fear?

A179

Yes, tons. Core spells: heroes feast, aid, bless, calm emotions, greater heroism, remove fear...

jpreem
2010-11-04, 03:49 PM
q 180
Will arrows of slaying work also on creatures who are immune to magic?
As like an arrow of construct slaying hits a clay golem - will the golem have to make a dc 20 fort save to not to be destroyed?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-04, 03:59 PM
A 180 No.
Immunity to Magic (Ex)

Golems have immunity to most magical and supernatural effects, except when otherwise noted.
Slaying Arrow

This +1 arrow is keyed to a particular type or subtype of creature. If it strikes such a creature, the target must make a DC 20 Fortitude save or die (or, in the case of unliving targets, be destroyed) instantly. Note that even creatures normally exempt from Fortitude saves (undead and constructs) are subject to this attack. When keyed to a living creature, this is a death effect (and thus death ward protects a target). To determine the type or subtype of creature the arrow is keyed to, roll on the table below. While the magic item specifies an exception for creatures immune to Fortitude saves, it doesn't provide an exception for creatures immune to magic.

Douglas
2010-11-04, 04:26 PM
A180 dispute

That is the general entry in the golem description, but each specific entry (as well as the spell immunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellImmunity) general ability) specifies that it blocks things that allow SR. A Slaying Arrow does not need to roll against spell resistance, so it is not blocked by any core golem's magic immunity. There may be golems in other sources that have a more general non-SR-dependent immunity, and such golems would indeed be immune to Slaying Arrows, but a clay golem or any other core type of golem would have to roll the save.

OMG PONIES
2010-11-04, 04:39 PM
Q181:

Does a warlock fulfill the "spontaneously cast spells of X level" PrC requirement if she can use an invocation that functions like a spell of level X?

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-04, 05:03 PM
A 181 No.

The Warlock meets the requirement of "having an arcane caster level" and counts as an "arcane spellcaster", and can also meet any requirement for a specific spell if one of his invocations mimics it (like charm person using the charm invocation), but he does not cast actual spells and cannot meet the requirement of "casts spells of X level".

Curmudgeon
2010-11-04, 06:30 PM
Re: A 180 dispute

There may be golems in other sources that have a more general non-SR-dependent immunity, and such golems would indeed be immune to Slaying Arrows, but a clay golem or any other core type of golem would have to roll the save.
You are quite correct. I overlooked the clay golem mention in the question, and only answered the general question. My answer applies to golems like the Grave Dirt Golem (Libris Mortis) or Shaboath Golem (Lords of Madness), but not golems like the Clay Golem. As always, you need to read the specific language used in each creature description (and I need to read the questions posed :smallredface:) carefully.

I apologize for the confusion.

Electrohydra
2010-11-04, 09:34 PM
Q 182:

Can you use extend spell on time stop? (And technically, persistent spell?) What about temporal acceleration?

soulsabre345
2010-11-04, 10:50 PM
Q 183

Does a warlock using eldritch glaive get his strength bonus to damage with them? i believe it's no but i want a confirmation

ffone
2010-11-04, 11:07 PM
Q184

Are there any magic items which specifically boost saves (or grant immunity) vs fear?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-04, 11:13 PM
A 182

Yes, you can apply Extend Spell to Time Stop. You will need a 10th level spell slot (through Improved Spell Capacity [Epic]) or a way to apply this metamagic feat without increase in spell level. Persistent Spell (with a 15th level spell slot, or a way to avoid increase in spell level) would result in 24 hours (14,400 rounds) of subjective time at the time of casting.

I'm not sure what you're asking about Temporal Acceleration. For 11 power points you can get 1 round of apparent time; you can buy more rounds for 4 power points each (not to exceed the normal power point limit of 1 point per manifester level). Extend Power and other metapsionic feats apply as usual (again, up to a power point limit of 1 point per manifester level).

Douglas
2010-11-04, 11:39 PM
A182 note

This is a frequently debated subject with at least 3 interpretations I know of, and the FAQ sides with Extend and Persist not being applicable to Time Stop.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-05, 01:02 AM
Re: A 182 note

This is a frequently debated subject with at least 3 interpretations I know of, and the FAQ sides with Extend and Persist not being applicable to Time Stop.
I think your memory is playing tricks on you. The FAQ has no mention of Time Stop. The FAQ's only note on Extend Spell is that it can't exceed a maximum duration specified in a spell's description. (Time Stop has no stated maximum duration.)

Kaww
2010-11-05, 01:19 AM
Q184

Are there any magic items which specifically boost saves (or grant immunity) vs fear?

A184 Rubicund frenzy, Brash, Resounding, Dagger of defiance, Belt of the champion, Circlet of solace, Helm of the purple plume... Just open MIC and start reading random entries. As I said above, there are tons of these...

Runestar
2010-11-05, 05:57 AM
Re: A 182 note

I think your memory is playing tricks on you. The FAQ has no mention of Time Stop. The FAQ's only note on Extend Spell is that it can't exceed a maximum duration specified in a spell's description. (Time Stop has no stated maximum duration.)

His memory serves his well, just that the entry is in the 3.0 FAQ, not the 3.5 one.

Assuming you are high enough level to cast a persistent time stop spell, could you use the virtual 24 hours the spell lasts to rest and recover your spells?

You can’t make time stop persistent. (Its duration is effectively instantaneous for purposes of the Persistent Spell feat.)

So if you can't persist it because it does not have an actual duration, then I suppose it can't be extended either. It can be empowered, maximized or intensified, however.

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-05, 06:27 AM
I'd say the applicability of 3.0 era FAQ entries is questionable at best in a 3.5 game.

Runestar
2010-11-05, 06:53 AM
I'd say the applicability of 3.0 era FAQ entries is questionable at best in a 3.5 game.

Both persistent spell and timestop remain mechanically the same in 3.5. Unless a new ruling explicitly states otherwise, I see no reason why a 3.0 ruling would automatically be invalidated in a 3.5 game.

theterran
2010-11-05, 07:18 AM
Q185

Consider the exert from the Ascetic Mage feat below, does this apply to "ALL" Wisdom to AC bonuses (such as from the Saint Template / UA Druid / swordsage/monk/etc.)?

Ascetic Mage
If you would normally be allowed to add your Wisdom bonus to AC (such as for a unarmored, unencumbered monk), you instead add your Charisma bonus (if any) to your AC.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-05, 01:43 PM
Both persistent spell and timestop remain mechanically the same in 3.5. Unless a new ruling explicitly states otherwise, I see no reason why a 3.0 ruling would automatically be invalidated in a 3.5 game.
In this Rules As Written thread it's perhaps a useful reminder that the FAQ, though paid for by WotC, has no RAW standing. Any answer in the FAQ is the opinion of the individual author and not an actual ruling. Only published game supplements and errata files are RAW.

FAQ answers are publicly distributed and may be quoted freely, so they're useful to reference when they explain some part of the rules well. But more than a few of those answers are house rules or even plainly in violation of the RAW.
You might be confusing Quick Draw with the ability of any character with a base attack bonus of +1 or better to draw or sheathe a weapon as a free action as part of movement (PH 142). (Check page 142 of the Player's Handbook; you'll see this highlighted statement is a lie. The book says that sheathing a weapon requires a move action, not a free action.)

Curmudgeon
2010-11-05, 01:57 PM
A 185

Yes, but only Sorcerer and Monk levels stack for the purposes of determining the size of that AC bonus. While you've taken this excerpt (not "exert") out of its context in the Ascetic Mage feat, the statement itself is independent of context. An unarmored Monk, a Swordsage in light armor, a Druid giving up wild shape, and a Saint would all have an AC benefit from Wisdom with Ascetic Mage.

tyckspoon
2010-11-05, 01:58 PM
A185

Yes. The feat does not reference a particular class or even ability name (eg, the Monk's 'AC Bonus' feature) in that clause. It calls for a particular game effect- Wisdom modifier to AC- and the feat can then be applied to any instance in which you have that game effect, regardless of how you acquire it. Speculatively, I would say that it was done that way so it would also have some value to the Ninja, which was introduced in the same book and also has Wisdom to AC as per the Monk.

theterran
2010-11-05, 01:59 PM
A 185

Yes, but only Sorcerer and Monk levels stack for the purposes of determining the size of that AC bonus. While you've taken this excerpt (not "exert") out of its context in the Ascetic Mage feat, the statement itself is independent of context. An unarmored Monk, a Swordsage in light armor, a Druid giving up wild shape, and a Saint would all have an AC benefit from Wisdom with Ascetic Mage.

Spelling was never a strength

soulsabre345
2010-11-06, 12:42 AM
Q 186

is there anywhere in the faerun books where warlocks are refrenced?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-06, 01:58 AM
Re: Q 186

I don't think so. Warlock's (Larlock's) Crypt is a moderately well-known FR site, but the Warlock class isn't setting-specific. (Larlock was a lich, and the name got corrupted over time.)

Kaww
2010-11-06, 03:40 AM
Q187

Can a warblade ready the same maneuver twice. That is can he have two same maneuvers readied at the start of an encounter?

ffone
2010-11-06, 04:46 AM
Q188

Is there a rule of thumb for the gp value of the spellbook(s) of an NPC wizard of a given level? And-or, if the PCs are interested in trying to use a looted spellbook (which involves read magic and spellcraft) the number of spells of each level it would have?

Q189

Are there any ways to make naturals 1s on saves not automatic failures (assuming modifier +1 still meets or beats the DC)? Specifically, I mean (besides other layers of defense such as status immunities and spell resistance).

Curmudgeon
2010-11-06, 05:16 AM
A 187 No.

A maneuver is either readied or not. No martial adept can ready a maneuver more than once.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-06, 05:38 AM
A 189

The Steadfast Determination feat (Players Handbook II) makes a 1 on Fortitude saves not automatically fail. Diamond Mind maneuvers (Tome of Battle) substitute Concentration checks for saving throws (and skill checks do not auto-fail on rolled 1s): Action Before Thought for Reflex saves, Mind Over Body for Fortitude saves, and Moment of Perfect Mind for Will saves. The Aura of Perfect Order stance allows you to choose an 11 instead of making a d20 roll, once per round.

The Dumb Luck feat (Complete Scoundrel, page 77) will let you treat a natural 1 on a saving throw as a natural 20, at the cost of one luck reroll. The Clerical Pride domain (Spell Compendium) will let you reroll a natural 1 on a saving throw, once per die. The Luck (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#luckDomain) domain will let you redo any roll, once per day, as will a Luck Blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#luckBlade).

OMG PONIES
2010-11-06, 07:38 AM
Q190: Can an outsider use the metamorphosis power to turn into another outsider (within HD limits)? The power mentions that you can change within your own type, or to another besides construct, elemental, outsider, and undead. Is this exclusion only applicable to cross-type changing?

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-11-06, 08:46 AM
A190

An outsider can take the form of another outsider.

The text says the user can take on the shape of a creature of its own type or something other than construct, undead, elemental, or outsider. The “or” means only one condition has to be true. (And if own type did not provide an exception to the type limitations, it would be a rather meaningless specification, wouldn’t it?)

cd4
2010-11-06, 11:12 AM
Q191

a) The mystic fire knight (Champions of Valor) says that at 4th level a mystic fire knight gains a bonus 1st level paladin spell slot as if from high wisdom score. If I have a high enough wisdom score to gain a spell slot at that level do these stack?

b) The mystic fire knight says that you must worship Mystra but where do I find the information on this deity.

Zherog
2010-11-06, 11:23 AM
A 191b

Mystra is a Forgotten Realms deity. You can find 3e information about her in the Forgotten Realms Campaign setting and Faiths and Pantheons (and probably a few other books). You can find generic information about her by digging back through older edition FR material.

edit: fixed small typo

Mushroom Ninja
2010-11-06, 11:53 AM
Q 192 How do the Practiced Spellcaster feat and the Master Spellthief feat interact? Is is it possible to, through a conjunction of the two of them, boost your CL to higher than your level?

Urpriest
2010-11-06, 12:59 PM
Q 193

What Fiendish Servants are available to Blackguards besides those listed in the Dungeon Master's Guide entry for the class?

Private-Prinny
2010-11-06, 05:00 PM
Q 194

Is it possible to use Whirling Blade (SpC238) to hurl a Thunderlance (SpC220)? If so, does it get Cha on to-hit and damage once or twice?

Runestar
2010-11-06, 09:08 PM
Q 192 How do the Practiced Spellcaster feat and the Master Spellthief feat interact? Is is it possible to, through a conjunction of the two of them, boost your CL to higher than your level?

Apparently not. Neither allows you to get a caster lv higher than your total class lvs, so there is no point taking practiced spellcaster unless you also have non-arcane casting classes in your spellthief build.

Demons_eye
2010-11-06, 10:13 PM
Q:195 What book is the Kensai fighter alternative class features in?

Edit: Q:196 Does the Kensais power surge stack with itself? IE use it two rounds in a row to gain +16 str?

Kaww
2010-11-07, 12:29 AM
A195
It's from a DrMag, #310, at least me thinks so...

ffone
2010-11-07, 03:43 AM
Q196

In SRD Wondrous items, the Pale Green ioun stone gives a +1 competence bonus on ability checks (among others). Whereas SRD Basics says competence bonuses should not be applied to ability checks. So, does the pale green ioun stone give a bonus to ability checks?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#competenceModifier

Kaww
2010-11-07, 04:30 AM
A196
Specific entries have advantage over general rules. If the item/spell description says it gives a specific bonus to something then it does. Pale green prism says that it gives such bonuses, thus they apply despite general rules...

Zom B
2010-11-07, 11:49 AM
Q197

The marshal aura Over the Top adds the marshal's charisma modifier to allies' damage when charging, so long as the ally is within 60' of the marshal. Do they have to be in the aura for the entire charge/attack or just at the beginning of their charge (leaving the 60' radius during the charge)?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-07, 03:45 PM
A 197

To obtain the benefit, the ally must be within 60' of the Marshal when the benefit would be applied. The damage is applied only at the time of the attack, so the position at the end of the charge (not at the beginning) must be within 60'.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-07, 03:50 PM
A 194 No.

Whirling Blade requires a slashing weapon. Lances deal piercing damage, and Thunderlance doesn't make an exception to this norm.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-07, 03:54 PM
A 191 a) Yes.

The Bonus Spell substitution replaces the turn undead class feature gained by a standard Paladin at 4th level; it's independent of any actual bonus spells gained because of your Wisdom score.

BobVosh
2010-11-07, 08:37 PM
Q 198) Is there a minimum intelligence required to use feats? Mainly when you are drained/damaged below 3 intelligence.

Urpriest
2010-11-07, 08:42 PM
A198

No. Note that animals, despite being of Int 1 or 2, have feats. While mindless creature types tend to not get feats, a character reduced to zero Int is not mindless but in a coma, and as such is restricted in actions anyway.

Zherog
2010-11-07, 08:54 PM
A 198 additional

Feats that have a minimum Int requirement - such as Combat Expertise - would become unavailable in such a situation, as would any feat that had Combat Expertise as a pre-req (Improved Trip, etc).

While I suspect I'm simply stating the obvious, I figured I'd throw it out there just in case...

Runestar
2010-11-07, 11:08 PM
Q 198) Is there a minimum intelligence required to use feats? Mainly when you are drained/damaged below 3 intelligence.

Not that I know of. Even animals with 1 int can take martial study feats...:smallbiggrin:

Tharck
2010-11-08, 12:47 AM
Q199 Does the Ghosts "Draining Touch" SU ability take a standard or can it be performed with multiple attacks? Such as with base attack bonus extra attacks, those given by a monks flurry of blows, or with two weapon fighting?

Draining Touch (Su)
A ghost that hits a living target with its incorporeal touch attack drains 1d4 points from any one ability score it selects. On each such successful attack, the ghost heals 5 points of damage to itself. Against ethereal opponents, it adds its Strength modifier to attack rolls only. Against nonethereal opponents, it adds its Dexterity modifier to attack rolls only.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-08, 01:07 AM
A 199

It's a standard action.
Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise.

ffone
2010-11-08, 01:08 AM
Q200

Is there a rule of thumb for the gp value of the spellbook(s) of an NPC wizard of a given level? And-or, if the PCs are interested in trying to use a looted spellbook (which involves read magic and spellcraft) the number of spells of each level it would have?

Kaww
2010-11-08, 01:41 AM
A200

A wizard wouldn't sell his spellbook. He might allow people to peek, and copy spells from his book at a price (at DM's discretion). Every entry in the book is a scroll equivalent (sort of, no xp cost payed etc.) so do the math and figure out the value of the book.

As to how much spells a NPC wizard has in his spellbook - that is up to the DM.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-08, 01:43 AM
A 200 No.

You could use Table 3–3: Treasure Values per Encounter (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 51) as a starting point, though.

OMG PONIES
2010-11-08, 07:13 AM
Q201: When polymorphed, the text says that you gain your new form's extraordinary special attacks. If spell-like abilities and spells are listed under the creature's special attacks, can you use them? Or must they be marked (Ex)?

faceroll
2010-11-08, 07:21 AM
A201 They must be marked (Ex), for Extraordinary. Spell-like Abilities are (Sp) and are not Extraordinary. Same for Supernatural (Su) Abilities.

Tharck
2010-11-08, 01:41 PM
Q 202 Attacks treated as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. How does that apply for incorporeal creatures such as a Ghost? Will it effect them?

Kaww
2010-11-08, 01:45 PM
A202 No.
It is treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming DR, not for purpose of ghost whacking.

Keld Denar
2010-11-08, 01:57 PM
A202 Correction

Yes. Abilities that let you treat an attack as magical let you have a chance to hit incorps. Such abilities like the 4th level monk Ki Strike ability and the Bless Weapon spell both make the attack be considered magical. This bypasses DR and allows you to bypass incorporial undead's weapon immunity feature. There is no difference between these 2. Magic is magic.

(note, not all enhancement bonuses are magical. Many Totemist binds give enhancement bonuses with natural weapons similar to magic weapons, but there is no indication that it makes them magical. Masterwork items also have an enhancement bonus, but they aren't magical either)

Tharck
2010-11-08, 02:04 PM
A 202 Errata says: Does the monk’s ki strike (magic) only allow her to
overcome damage reduction or does it make her natural
attacks count as magic weapons for all effects (such as
affecting incorporeal opponents)?
The PH states that ki strike affects the monk’s unarmed
strikes “for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with
damage reduction,” but says nothing about any other effects.
Thus, the monk’s unarmed attacks aren’t considered magic
weapons for any other purpose, including affecting incorporeal
foes.

So my question is answered, don't correct answers if you do not know the answer please.

Goudaa
2010-11-08, 02:04 PM
A202 Correction

Yes. Abilities that let you treat an attack as magical let you have a chance to hit incorps. Such abilities like the 4th level monk Ki Strike ability and the Bless Weapon spell both make the attack be considered magical. This bypasses DR and allows you to bypass incorporial undead's weapon immunity feature. There is no difference between these 2. Magic is magic.

(note, not all enhancement bonuses are magical. Many Totemist binds give enhancement bonuses with natural weapons similar to magic weapons, but there is no indication that it makes them magical. Masterwork items also have an enhancement bonus, but they aren't magical either)

A202 re-correction

Sorry, but the errata clears it up under the monk section page 21.

Does the monk’s ki strike (magic) only allow her to
overcome damage reduction or does it make her natural
attacks count as magic weapons for all effects (such as
affecting incorporeal opponents)?
The PH states that ki strike affects the monk’s unarmed
strikes “for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with
damage reduction,” but says nothing about any other effects.
Thus, the monk’s unarmed attacks aren’t considered magic
weapons for any other purpose, including affecting incorporeal
foes.

*ninja'd*

Keld Denar
2010-11-08, 02:59 PM
If by errata, you mean the FAQ, then you should also know that 8/10 times the sage has NO idea what he's talking about. Half of the time, I don't even think he's talking about D&D, and more than a few times he's BLATENTLY contradicts RAW.

FAQ is not RAW. Ki strike is treated as magical. If its magical enough to overcome DR, its magical to overcome incorps damage immunity. Magic is magic is magic.

I believe this is getting into discussion territory, which is offlimits to this thread. If you wish to debate this (or the Sage's sanity), the thread rules indicate that a full thread be created.

Douglas
2010-11-08, 03:16 PM
If by errata, you mean the FAQ, then you should also know that 8/10 times the sage has NO idea what he's talking about. Half of the time, I don't even think he's talking about D&D, and more than a few times he's BLATENTLY contradicts RAW.

FAQ is not RAW. Ki strike is treated as magical. If its magical enough to overcome DR, its magical to overcome incorps damage immunity. Magic is magic is magic.

I believe this is getting into discussion territory, which is offlimits to this thread. If you wish to debate this (or the Sage's sanity), the thread rules indicate that a full thread be created.
Yes, FAQ has a number of cases of being wrong and contradicting RAW. This is not one of them. There is a clear and substantial difference between "X is magic" and "X is treated as magic for Y purpose". Ki Strike and the natural weapons of creatures with DR/magic are the latter. Bless Weapon is also the latter, but striking incorporeal is one of the purposes specified by the spell.

Kaww
2010-11-08, 03:21 PM
Guys start a discussion. You are spamming the thread.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-11-08, 03:51 PM
Q 203 Do Natural Armor bonuses from two different sources that use the same ability modifier as a bonus stack? That is to say if, for example, I got my Con mod. as a nat. armor bonus from my race and then I gained it again from a class would I get double my Con mod to nat. armor?

Kaww
2010-11-08, 04:03 PM
A 203

No, unless it is explicitly stated that it stacks with your existing bonus.

Goudaa
2010-11-09, 12:26 PM
Q203

Do undead always come up as "evil" under detect evil?

I ask being ghosts can be any alignment but my DM is under the impression all undead show as evil. Looking for some RAW one way or the other.

Kaww
2010-11-09, 12:55 PM
A204

No, you have undead that are fueled with positive energy - like Good lich and the Deathless. Ghost shouldn't ping as evil unless they are evil or have evil effects active.

Kaww
2010-11-09, 01:00 PM
Q205

Can you use swift actions during your turn, or during anybody's turn?

EDIT: @ OMG Thanks for the reference.

OMG PONIES
2010-11-09, 01:03 PM
A205:

Swift actions can only be used during your turn, whereas immediate actions can be used any time during the round. Barring special circumstances, you are allowed one swift or immediate action per round. For more information, check pp. 137-138 in Complete Adventurer.

Bugbeartrap
2010-11-09, 02:51 PM
Q206 The 2nd level spell Ghoul Touch indicates a Fortitude saving throw however it only mentions a saving throw is necessary to avoid being sickened. In the previous paragraph, concerning the touch attack and paralysis, no mention of a save is made. Does the touched victim get no save versus paralysis?

Kaww
2010-11-09, 03:20 PM
A206

Read the spell entry more carefully. Fort negates the paralysis...

Godskook
2010-11-09, 04:07 PM
Q 207

Is there a method to make a full attack with both reach weapons and non-reach weapons on the same target after a charge on a huge character?

Specifically, a Totem Rager who already has pounce, 7 natural attacks, and enough Psychic Warrior levels to reach huge size, for 15' natural reach. And I'm trying to integrate Chaos Roc Span into the mix, which adds 2 more natural weapons, but they're *reach* weapons, while the others aren't. And to make matters worse, with 15' natural reach, I stop charging 30' away from targets, making a lot of the swift-action 10' move options unusable.

ffone
2010-11-09, 04:20 PM
Q208

Can the psychoactive skin of ectoplasmic armor (Complete Psionic and later MiC) be enhanced like regular armor (+A enhancement bonus to AC for 1000 gp x A^2 etc.)?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-09, 06:35 PM
A 207 Yes.

If you have Pounce (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#pounce) you can make a full attack at the end of a charge. A charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#charge) requires you to attack from the closest square to your starting position. If you wield only a non-reach weapon (like unarmed strike or armor spikes) when you start the charge you will get as close to the target as your natural reach. Using the Quick Draw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#quickDraw) feat you could then draw a reach weapon, which would allow attacking squares at twice your natural reach. (A Huge target will span both of those distances.)

Urpriest
2010-11-09, 09:18 PM
A204

No, you have undead that are fueled with positive energy - like Good lich and the Deathless. Ghost shouldn't ping as evil unless they are evil or have evil effects active.

Clarification: Good Liches are fueled by negative energy, and Deathless are not undead but their own type. The answer is still correct.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-11-09, 10:21 PM
Q 209 When mounted, what 5-ft cube does a rider occupy? Is the rider in the same square as its mount, or above the mount?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-09, 11:26 PM
A 209

A rider does not have its own distinguishable space while mounted.
For simplicity, assume that you share your mount’s space during combat. Thus any attack which could reach at least one square (or cube) of the mount's space can target the rider.

powerdemon
2010-11-10, 07:36 AM
A 209

A rider does not have its own distinguishable space while mounted. Thus any attack which could reach at least one square (or cube) of the mount's space can target the rider.

Do you have a source for that please?

Kaww
2010-11-10, 09:55 AM
Do you have a source for that please?

PHB page 157

mucco
2010-11-10, 10:23 AM
Q 210
Can a medium sized character mount, or be carried by, an advanced Dread (Medium size flyer, Lost Empires of Faerun p. 169)? If so, how and what kind of penalties would he have?

Kaww
2010-11-10, 10:49 AM
A210

A mount should be one or more size categories larger than it's rider, unless there is a specific entry stating otherwise for a specific mount/rider. From what I can see there is no such entry in the description of the dread (nor is there anything which would give anybody the idea of riding it).

Devmaar
2010-11-10, 11:45 AM
Q 211

Does a druid being able to trade in prepared spells for Summon Nature's Ally X allow them to act as if they have summoning spells prepared for the purpose of Reserve Feats?

Goudaa
2010-11-10, 12:17 PM
Q212

enchanting ammunition.

In regards to making straight out of the DMG items must a stack of arrows (50) first be +1 arrows THEN get a +1 enchantment such as bane, effectively being a +2 cost or can they simply be masterworked arrows with a +1 enchant?

Also in regards to cold iron I see the extra 2k for enchanting cost but can't find the added metal cost (if any) for simply being made of cold iron.

Kaww
2010-11-10, 12:36 PM
A212

If you want to enchant arrows with bane they must be +1 arrows.

Would you be so kind as to edit your post to clarify what you are asking regarding cold iron.

EDIT: Regarding cold iron in general check in DMG, p284.

Goudaa
2010-11-10, 12:45 PM
Thanks Kaww, double the cost of the normal item for materials on cold iron.

Godskook
2010-11-10, 01:17 PM
A 207 Yes.

If you have Pounce (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#pounce) you can make a full attack at the end of a charge. A charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#charge) requires you to attack from the closest square to your starting position. If you wield only a non-reach weapon (like unarmed strike or armor spikes) when you start the charge you will get as close to the target as your natural reach. Using the Quick Draw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#quickDraw) feat you could then draw a reach weapon, which would allow attacking squares at twice your natural reach. (A Huge target will span both of those distances.)

Revision 207

As per the specific example in the spoiler, is there a way to do so with natural attacks(which presumably can't be 'drawn')?

Q 211

Does a druid being able to trade in prepared spells for Summon Nature's Ally X allow them to act as if they have summoning spells prepared for the purpose of Reserve Feats?

A 211

First, correction: Reserve feats do not require that you have a spell 'prepared'. The requirement is "have available to cast." This is an important distinction, as Sorcerers are fully able to utilize them "out-of-the-box".

Second, Yes, that qualifies you for reserve feats appropriate to the Summon Nature's Ally spell in exactly the same way as if you had prepared it.

OMG PONIES
2010-11-10, 03:44 PM
Q213: What kind of action is it to stop using bardic music?

Kaww
2010-11-10, 03:49 PM
A203

If using descriptions from PHB pg. 138-139 it falls under the not an action category.

ffone
2010-11-10, 06:00 PM
Q214

Does a nonmonk need to have a free hand / use a hand to deliver an unarmed strike?

Q215

Does the Monk's Belt, when donned by a nonmonk, confer any attributes of monk's unarmed attacks other than the damage (1d8 for Medium monk-5), such as being treated as having Improved Unarmed Strike or the issue of the last question?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-10, 09:48 PM
A 214 No.

From the Player's Handbook Combat chapter, page 139:
Unarmed Attacks: Striking for damage with punches, kicks, and head butts is much like attacking with a melee weapon, except for the following: Unarmed attacks are executed with all parts of the body, by all classes.

A 215 No.

You get only what the item description entails:
If the character is not a monk, she gains the AC and unarmed damage of a 5th-level monk.

DeltaEmil
2010-11-10, 09:59 PM
Q 216

Sense link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/senseLink.htm)causes you to lose your dexterity bonus when perceiving through the other's sense.

If you have the uncanny dodge ability, you retain your Dexterity bonus (if any) when you're being caught flatfooted or being stuck by an invisibile attacker.

Does a character with uncanny dodge still retain the Dexterity bonus when being attacked by an invisible attacker while using the sense link ability, or would uncanny dodge be of no use, because the penalty of sense link supersedes the uncanny dodge ability?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-10, 10:05 PM
Revision 207

As per the specific example in the spoiler, is there a way to do so with natural attacks(which presumably can't be 'drawn')?
If you hide part of your question in a spoiler, I assume that part isn't needed in order to arrive at an answer. You could use Alter Self to assume a form which doesn't have natural reach weapons, then use 2 charges from a Belt of Battle (Magic Item Compendium, page 73) to dismiss Alter Self when you arrive at your charge destination.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-10, 10:08 PM
A 216 No.

If you've previously lost your DEX bonus to AC from Sense Link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/senseLink.htm), there's no longer anything for uncanny dodge to retain.

ffone
2010-11-11, 01:58 AM
Q217

A character with the Two-Weapon Fighting and Improved Unarmed Strike feats is holding a sword in one hand, and a buckler in another. Can she two-weapon fight with the sword as the primary weapon and unarmed strike as the off-hand weapon? If so, does she get the buckler's AC bonus that round? Do the off-hand attacks take a -1 attack roll penalty?