PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XV

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Adamaro
2010-11-11, 02:12 AM
Q218
So Summon Nature’s Ally spell has 1 round casting time. Is it true that this means that summon appears in the same round AND can attack? I thought it appears NEXT round.

Runestar
2010-11-11, 02:49 AM
Q218
So Summon Nature’s Ally spell has 1 round casting time. Is it true that this means that summon appears in the same round AND can attack? I thought it appears NEXT round.

It appears right before your next turn would start.

Not really accurate, but you can just assume it appears right at the start of your next turn, and can act together with you.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-11, 02:57 AM
A 217

Yes, using Two-Weapon Fighting with sword and unarmed strike is certainly possible. Unarmed strikes don't need to use any hands, so the buckler can be used as well without further penalty beyond the -2 to attacks from Two-Weapon Fighting.

TheAmishPirate
2010-11-11, 11:05 AM
Q219

Is there a feat that negates Attacks of Opportunity against you when you charge?

Q220

Suppose a character gains two size categories via Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm) and is carrying a Decanter of Endless Water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/wondrousitems.htm#decanterofEndlessWater). Would the Decanter supply more water when uncorked, and if so, how much? I would like to know the statistics for at least the "geyser" command.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-11, 02:34 PM
A 220 No.

The properties of a Decanter of Endless Water are specified in the item description, and do not vary even if the container changes size. (Your DM could decide that the geyser from a larger aperture no longer produces enough pressure to cause damage, but that would be a house rule.)

sreservoir
2010-11-11, 08:51 PM
Q 221

If I enter Mage of the Arcane Order as a spontaneous caster with Arcane Preparation, what does New Spell do?

CockroachTeaParty
2010-11-12, 12:12 AM
Q 222

Are undead effected by Ray of Enfeeblement?

Douglas
2010-11-12, 12:47 AM
A221

Spellcasters who do not use spellbooks gain no benefit from this ability.

A222

Yes, because Ray of Enfeeblement imposes a penalty rather than dealing ability damage.

ffone
2010-11-12, 01:57 AM
Q223

The Dreadful Wrath feat (PGtF) says "When you charge, make a full attack, or cast a spell.." you gain the frightful presence ability that round. Would the Will saves that affected creatures make occur before or after the charge or full attack attacks?

(And if before, what about the option that full attacks have for changing to a standard attack after the first one...would they have to 'commit' to a full attack a priori?)

Also, same question for general Frightful Presence (such as a true dragon's).

Curmudgeon
2010-11-12, 02:41 AM
A 223

The Will saves happen as soon as one of the triggering conditions occur, which would be immediately after your (first) attack. (Until you attack you haven't charged ─ just moved). If you want to receive the benefit of Dreadful Wrath you've got to stipulate that you're making a full attack, so you've got to decide after completing your first swing. There's no special "committing" action most of the time; if you decide to take a second swing, the Dreadful Wrath saves happen just before that. (If you want to perform some other action ─ such as take a 5' step ─ before your second swing, you might want to stipulate that you're making a full attack to trigger your Dreadful Wrath just in case the opponent has some ability that would enable an attack of opportunity against you.)

The same applies to Frightful Presence: the saves are made only after the triggering action occurs.

ffone
2010-11-12, 03:29 PM
Q224

The Shock Trooper feat as a 'domino rush' maneuver which, if you bull rush one foe into another, lets you make trip attempts against each. If these succeed, would Improved Trip grant follow up attacks?

Zherog
2010-11-12, 03:41 PM
A 224

Assuming Shock Trooper allows an actual trip attempt and not something similar (I don't have my book here at work) it would seem like it. The Improved Trip feat says:

If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt.

So... if you make a trip attempt against an opponent and it resolves in your favor, you get the free attack.

TheAmishPirate
2010-11-12, 04:30 PM
Q225 What would the damage be on a Huge-sized natural attack that deals 2d8 damage as Medium-size?

Rasman
2010-11-12, 04:35 PM
Q226 Being a little confused about this, in regards to animal companions, do they retain the bonuses to their base animal skills or would an animal companion just simply get, lets say at 8th level, 7 skills?

hydraa
2010-11-12, 05:36 PM
Q 227 Can I apply precision damage on zero, first or all 4 of the meteors evoked by a meteor storm spell that are targeted at a creature.

hydraa
2010-11-12, 05:46 PM
Q 228 Is a mindblade a natural weapon?

Q 228A Does a natural weapon only get one strike or get number of strikes based on BAB

(One of my players has a character with touch of golden ice feat and wants to use it on the mindblade, I am currently offering the choice that he can have the touch of golden ice but he will lose his multipe attacks on the mindblade)

Runestar
2010-11-12, 05:50 PM
Q 227 Can I apply precision damage on zero, first or all 4 of the meteors evoked by a meteor storm spell that are targeted at a creature.

The closest ruling I can find is a clause in rules compendium which states that if an ability lets you make multiple attacks as a standard action, sneak attack should apply to only one of those attacks.

Based on said guideline and the precedent set by the manyshot feat, I would rule that you apply precision damage on only the first meteor.

hydraa
2010-11-12, 06:04 PM
Q 229 Can the spell Helping Hand locate a invisible and/or hiding creature?
Q 229a At what range does the subject of the helping hand spell need to from the caster for the helping hand to disapper saying its task is done.

Coidzor
2010-11-12, 06:09 PM
Q230: Do the rules address what happens to an animal companion if an intelligence boosting item is placed upon it such that it gains Int 3+? Awakened animals are ineligible to be Animal Companions, but is there a blanket statement applying to all animals given an Int >2 or is it just the specific case of awakened animals that is addressed?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-12, 06:11 PM
A 225 4d8

You advance 2 steps on Table 2–2: Increasing Weapon Damage by Size (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 28) to go from Medium to Huge.

Rasman
2010-11-12, 06:18 PM
Q230: Do the rules address what happens to an animal companion if an intelligence boosting item is placed upon it such that it gains Int 3+? Awakened animals are ineligible to be Animal Companions, but is there a blanket statement applying to all animals given an Int >2 or is it just the specific case of awakened animals that is addressed?

A230 To the best of my knowledge, I haven't found anything concrete. An AC that has its intelligence increased to 3 becomes sentient, can understand languages and, some people argue, is now considered a magical beast, but is still treated as an animal. In Pathfinder, I assume it would/could still apply to 3.5, it states that Animal Companions that have an Int of 3 or higher can also take ranks in skills outside of the listed Animal skills, so the whole argument of "it's not an Animal Companion anymore" is kind of mute.

In regards to items, it would probably still be similar, but I would just drop the one ability increase into Int and save that for a better stat, although I've never been a fan of equipping ACs with items because, technically, they'd cost a LOT more if you look at the rules to Barding.

I'd also like to point out that it feels strange that I'm actually answering a question here that you, of all people asked, since you've helped on my posts so often as of late. I'm also reposting my question since the page flipped and people tend to not backtrack on pages.

Q226 Being a little confused about this, in regards to animal companions, do they retain the bonuses to their base animal skills or would an animal companion just simply get, lets say at 8th level, 7 skills?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-12, 06:29 PM
A 230

There are no special rules applicable to the animal companion; the stat gain from the Intelligence-boosting item does not have any relationship to the Awaken spell, and that spell's specific rules do not apply to this situation.

A 226

Intelligence boosts do not retroactively alter skill points, nor do temporary INT gains. From Player's Handbook, page 58:
Use your character’s current Intelligence score, including all permanent changes (such as inherent bonuses, ability drains, or an Intelligence increase gained at step 4, above) but not any temporary changes (such as ability damage, or enhancement bonuses gained from spells or magic items, such as a headband of intellect), to determine the number of skill points you gain. Other than that:
An animal companion gains additional skill points and feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster’s Hit Dice. As animal companions gain hit dice, they gain skill points.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-12, 06:48 PM
A 228 No.

Class features never produce natural weapons without explicit statements to that effect. Furthermore, from Player's Handbook on page 180:
Natural Abilities: This category includes abilities a creature has because of its physical nature, such as a bird’s ability to fly. Natural abilities are those not otherwise designated as extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like As Mind Blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/soulknife.htm#mindBlade) is specified as a Supernatural ability, it's not natural. Finally, the Mind Blade does not meet the definition of the term:
Natural Weapons: Natural weapons are weapons that are physically a part of a creature.
Thus there are three rasons why it would need an explicit statement for it to be considered a natural weapon.

A 228 A
The number of attacks a creature can make with its natural weapons depends on the type of the attack—generally, a creature can make one bite attack, one attack per claw or tentacle, one gore attack, one sting attack, or one slam attack (although Large creatures with arms or arm-like limbs can make a slam attack with each arm). Refer to the individual monster descriptions. Excepting the special case of unarmed strike, each natural weapon may only be used once per round, and using all natural weapons (once each) will require a full attack action.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-12, 06:57 PM
A 229 Yes.

Helping Hand does not have any Spot skill; it only has distance limitations, not perception limitations, in accomplishing its task.

A 229 a
Once the hand leads the subject back to you, it disappears. There is no specified range, so this is a DM's call. If the Hand gets to its caster (meaning the target is 10 feet away) that should do it. But your DM might decide that when both the caster and target succeed on Spot checks to see each other the spell is finished.

ffone
2010-11-12, 09:35 PM
Q231

A druid with the Improved Trip feat wild shapes into a wolf. If she successfully trips an opponent (using the wolf's Trip extraordinary special attack to trip a foe after hitting it with a bite attack), does Improved Trip give her a follow-up attack?

Q232

Can a character make a trip attack against an opponent who is already prone? (The motive being to create a 'loop' if Q231's answer is Yes, or using a similar 'extra trip' ability like the Shock Trooper feat's 'domino rush' maneuver).

Curmudgeon
2010-11-12, 09:58 PM
A 231 Yes.

It doesn't matter how the trip occurs (unarmed attack, a tripping weapon, or an appropriate natural attack); Improved Trip grants a melee attack (at the same AB as the trip attack) if the trip was successful.

A 232 No.

A successful trip knocks an opponent prone in their space. If they're already prone it's not possible for them to be knocked into that position, so the trip attack cannot be executed.

Obahai
2010-11-12, 10:05 PM
Q 233

In the Oriental Adventures/Rokugan setting which book has the PrC Aikido Master or the equivalent of such a class?

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-12, 10:25 PM
Re: Q 233

There was only one book for Oriental Adventures for 3rd Edition D&D, it was 3.0, and it did not have a prestige class by that name. If you were asking about something else, it doesn't belong in the D&D 3.5 Simple Q&A thread.

Sc00by
2010-11-13, 08:45 PM
Q 234

What's the DC of the fort save against the poison created by Toxic Tongue? (Complete Mage p120)

Is it just what the DC of the spell would be (10 + spell level(3) + Int modifier)? I'm almost certainly suffering from it being the best part of 2AM here, but if someone can clarify for me please?

Thanks

Curmudgeon
2010-11-13, 09:23 PM
A 234

Yes, without any other stipulation, the saving throw DC for a spell follows the standard rule:
Saving Throw Difficulty Class

A saving throw against your spell has a DC of 10 + the level of the spell + your bonus for the relevant ability (Intelligence for a wizard, Charisma for a sorcerer or bard, or Wisdom for a cleric, druid, paladin, or ranger). A spell’s level can vary depending on your class. Always use the spell level applicable to your class.

Private-Prinny
2010-11-13, 09:32 PM
A233 Additional

There is no Aikido Master, but there is a Iaijutsu Master class, which fights fluidly and specializes in the katana. It may or may not be what you're looking for.

But yeah, it's 3.0, so ask your DM if this is for a 3.5 game.

ffone
2010-11-14, 01:59 AM
Q235

Under what conditions does a character know when they've been affected by a spell (one possibly without 'obvious' effects themselves, such as damage). Do you know when you made or failed a save? When your spell resistance was 'checked' against? Does targeted vs area matter?

ffone
2010-11-14, 02:59 AM
Q236

The SRD has some 'masterwork tool' items that provide +2 circumstance bonuses to certain skills, usually for 50 gp. Are there similar items for other skills in other manuals, or a rule / guideline on making up such items for any skill (gloves that give +2 circumstance to use magic device for 50 gp, etc.)?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-14, 03:25 AM
A 235 None.

The character has no indication that they've failed on a saving throw. Only succeeding on a saving throw provides information.
Succeeding on a Saving Throw

A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Similarly the game provides no way for a character to know if their spell resistance has succeeded or failed, other than if they had succeeded on a saving throw, made a successful Spellcraft check to identify the spell, and then determined that it must have bypassed the character's SR in order to require the saving throw.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-14, 03:29 AM
A 236

The Player's Handbook Equipment chapter includes a generic MW tool for those skills not already covered by other tools:
Tool, Masterwork

This well-made item is the perfect tool for the job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). Bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items used toward the same skill check do not stack. A masterwork tool for a particular job defaults to 50 gp cost and 1 lb. weight.

Thurbane
2010-11-14, 07:15 PM
Q 237

Can the Improved Natural Attack feat by applied to non-physical natural attacks, such as a Will-o-wisp's shock touch?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-14, 07:28 PM
A 237 Yes.

Improved Natural Attack's reference to damage size step increases has nothing to do with physically increasing the attacker's size, nor any requirement that the attack be of any specific physical nature.

Goudaa
2010-11-15, 05:19 PM
Q238

In use magic device what exactly does it mean by emulate a class feature?

Does it mean I can state "I am that class" to the item for instance using a Holy Avenger? Or is it merely stating I can use a feature requisite of an item like having arcane spellcasting, or turn/rebuke undead?

Tharck
2010-11-15, 06:08 PM
Q239 If I used UMD and emulated the class feature of a Cleric's ability to Turn Undead so I could use a "Phylactery of Undead Turning
This item is a boon to any character able to turn undead, allowing him to do so as if his class level were four levels higher than it actually is" how would I determine my level for turning undead? Would it be my roll -20 equals my Cleric Level for determining turning undead?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-15, 09:13 PM
A 238

Emulate a Class Feature will let you register as having that class feature for the purposes of activating a magic device. It will not let you use those class features, but will let you access all options available to a magic device user possessing such a class feature.

In the case of a Holy Avenger, the item has better options available to a Paladin than to a non-Paladin wielder, and such options do not actually use (i.e., are not powered by) any Paladin class abilities. Thus Use Magic Device will activate the better features of a Holy Avenger if you successfully emulate all class abilities of a 1st level Paladin. That list is:

Paladin Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Paladin Aura of Good
Paladin Detect Evil
Paladin Smite Evil
All of these require a DC 21 Use Magic Device check each time the Holy Avenger is wielded. (Arguably, you may also be required to Emulate an Alignment if not Lawful Good. Talk to your DM about that. All Paladin class features are dependent on having that alignment.)

Curmudgeon
2010-11-15, 09:20 PM
A 239

A Phylactery of Undead Turning does not give you the ability to turn undead; it merely boosts that capability if you already have it. In particular, there are no Cleric (or other class) levels levels associated with the item. Emulate a Class Feature will provide no benefit with a Phylactery of Undead Turning if you can't turn undead already.

powerdemon
2010-11-15, 09:31 PM
Q 240

The special Material Riverine says that half the AC bonus, rounded down, from armor made of it is Deflection. But the example in the next sentence rounds up. There is no errata that I can find.

Which is right? Round up or down?

I assume the example is the more specific and therefore the correct.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-15, 09:53 PM
A 240 Round down.

You follow the rules, not the examples. The rules about things being "more specific" don't actually include examples.
The D&D game assumes a specific order of rules application: General to specific to exception.
An exception is a stated rule which overrides some other rule, and you'd be stretching that concept to apply only to "a suit of riverine chainmail", and could not justify rounding up for any other application of riverine armor.

powerdemon
2010-11-15, 10:07 PM
Q 241

Would a shield made of riverine be subject to the "round down to a minimum of 1 rule" or what-have-you?
Meaning would a Buckler of riverine be 1 Deflection or just 1 armor bonus?

Demons_eye
2010-11-15, 10:20 PM
Q: 242 What PRC if any give free resurrection as a capstone? I recall a phoenix type that did this but I can not find it.

Thurbane
2010-11-15, 10:22 PM
A 242 partial

Right off the top of my head, the Death Delver (HoH) gets free True Resurrection (self only) x9.

ffone
2010-11-16, 03:44 AM
Q243

The Intimidate skill has the line "If you beat your target’s check result, you may treat the target as friendly, but only for the purpose of actions taken while it remains intimidated."

If you use Diplomacy on someone after a successful Intimidate of that sot, would you use Friendly as their 'initial attitude' (for choosing the row of the table of DCs to achieve Helpful)?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-16, 04:38 AM
A 241 No.

Only particular stated values in D&D have a minimum of 1 when rounding. Armor deflection bonus is not one of those with a minimum value. Half of 1, rounded down, is 0.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-16, 04:51 AM
A 243

The phrase "only for the purpose of actions taken while it remains intimidated" is ambiguous. If this refers to actions taken by the NPC, there are no actions it takes to oppose your Diplomacy check and thus its original attitude applies. If the phrase refers to actions you take while the NPC remains intimidated then Friendly would be the starting attitude for Diplomacy checks. It's a DM's call.

Runestar
2010-11-16, 06:06 AM
Q: 242 What PRC if any give free resurrection as a capstone? I recall a phoenix type that did this but I can not find it.

Jade phoenix mage, but it involves you sacrificing yourself in a burst of flame first.

bokodasu
2010-11-16, 08:12 AM
Q244

Given a cheetah (Full attack: bite/2 claws) with 14 levels of Druid (BAB 10/5), a strength of 18, and no relevant feats - what is the full attack and why?

(Apologies in advance. I just can't seem to wrap my head around iterative/natural attacks. Also please don't point out that a cheetah can't have 14 levels of Druid, this one does.)

Kaww
2010-11-16, 08:31 AM
A244
Check MM1 for monsters with class lvls.
It's ether all natural weapon attacks (One primary weapon (2 claws, or bite, or whatever * the # of whatever) and all others are secondary - 10/5, without multiattack) or weapon according to BAB 10/5. As for dmg and bonuses you can calculate these, I gave BAB...

Curmudgeon
2010-11-16, 08:34 AM
A 244

You have two choices:

You can take the creature's full attack as listed (without penalty), and forego iterative attacks (bite as primary, and 2 claws as secondary).
You can use iterative attacks, and add secondary natural attacks with the appropriate penalty (-5 to all attacks).
Note that manufactured weapon/iterative attacks and natural attacks will likely be interleaved due to the following rule:
If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest.

Runestar
2010-11-16, 08:44 AM
Q245) The Hagunemnon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/hagunemnon.htm) lists immunities and regeneration in its stat block, but does not mention what those immunities entail, or what attacks overcome its regeneration.

Has there been any sort of update?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-16, 09:40 AM
A 245 No.

The Official D&D Errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20060531a) page has the most recent (2006) errata for Epic Level Handbook. There are no updates for the Hagunemnon. Thus the creature has no specific immunities, nor any listed attacks which overcome its regeneration.

sreservoir
2010-11-16, 11:28 AM
Q 246
Does the Chameleon PrC count as a casting class for the purposes of "+1 level of existing class"?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-16, 12:05 PM
A 246 No.
You can’t use any abilities gained from your aptitude focus, ability boon, or mimic class feature abilities to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other option. A Chameleon's spellcasting only comes via its Aptitude Focus class feature, and this can never qualify a character for a prestige class which grants "+1 level of existing class".

cd4
2010-11-16, 12:17 PM
Q247

If I grapple someone can I use them as an improvised weapon? If so what damage would I do to a foe I hit with their ally?

Duke of URL
2010-11-16, 12:38 PM
A 247

As humorous as that idea is, no, you can't. Aside from the fact that nothing says you can, simply grappling someone does not allow you to treat them as if you control their movement. Attempting to move the entire grapple at 1/2 your movement speed is a separate grapple check as a standard action -- clearly attempting to wield your opponent is more difficult than that.

Enix18
2010-11-16, 07:18 PM
Q 248.

Are there any spells that grant the caster damage reduction?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-16, 07:55 PM
A 248 Yes.

There are many such spells, including Stoneskin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneskin.htm), Righteous Might (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/righteousMight.htm), Protection from Arrows (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionfromarrows.htm) (vs. ranged weapons only) (all Player's Handbook), Angelskin, Blessing of Bahamut, Body of War, Daggerspell Stance (when wielding daggers), Demonhide, Favorable Sacrifice, and Heart of Stone (all Spell Compendium).

sreservoir
2010-11-16, 09:12 PM
Q 249
What happens to an ur-priest who becomes non-evil?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-16, 09:23 PM
A 249

That's up to your DM. There are no rules specifying loss of class abilities for this change, such as in a Cleric's code of conduct. The Ur-Priest never gains the ability to turn undead; they can only rebuke them. The only RAW limitation is that if you want to qualify to become a higher-level Ur-Priest you must satisfy all the prestige class requirements, including evil alignment, at each level gain.

Jastermereel
2010-11-16, 10:54 PM
Q 250

I realize this is a fairly common question type, but I can't recall the details of the answer. If a feat requires a certain threshold for an Ability Score, can an item, such as a Periapt of Wisdom, boost their score sufficiently or would it take a permanent increase through leveling or an item like a Tome of Understanding to meet the prerequisite?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-16, 11:34 PM
A 250

The rules for the most part require only that you meet the requirements, without specifying how that's accomplished. (There's a specific exception regarding non-permanent INT boosters and skill points.) Meet the requirements in any way that's acceptable for your characters.

SurlySeraph
2010-11-16, 11:56 PM
Q 251

Can a Bloodstorm Blade use its Thunderous Throw ability to gain the benefits of a charge attack on an attack with a thrown weapon?

The Shadowmind
2010-11-17, 01:51 AM
Q252
Would a multi-class character with two spell lists that enters into the Sand Shaper prestige class, gain the desert insight spells to both spell known list or just one of the classes spells known. What if one side was a divine caster(ie. Favored Soul)? Example Sorcerer X/ Favored Soul X/Sand Shaper 1. (Sandstorm is the source of Sand Shaper).

ffone
2010-11-17, 02:27 AM
Q253

Can a character (without the Shock Trooper feat) bull rush foes into spaces occupied by other foes? Can a character (without the Dungeoncrasher ACF) bull rush foes into walls, and if so, does anything happen?

Q254

The Pushback feat (Miniatures Handbook), which lets a character do a free bull-rush after a regular attack, says "You can't push an opponent back through (or into) solid obstacles or otherwise occupied squares."

Would this prevent Pushback from triggering Dungeoncrasher damage (damage for bull rushing a foe into a wall) or the Shock Trooper 'domino rush' maneuver (trip attempts against foes bull rushed into each other)? Or is it referring to things you can't normally do that Dungeoncrasher / Shock Trooper give you the ability to?

powerdemon
2010-11-17, 03:56 AM
Q 255

Do enchantments on Bows, and enchantments on arrows, stack? Such that a +5 Longbow firing +5 Arrows would be at a +10 attack bonus?

I think not, but I'm reading some online articles saying otherwise.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-17, 05:31 AM
A 255 No.
Ranged Weapons and Ammunition

The enhancement bonus from a ranged weapon does not stack with the enhancement bonus from ammunition. Only the higher of the two enhancement bonuses applies. If an enhancement on a projectile weapon states that it's transferred to ammunition, unique enhancements will all be presented to the target. So a +1 flaming bow firing +4 shock arrows will result in +4 flaming shock at the target. The +1 and +4 numerical enhancements don't stack, so you get the better of them. Flaming is an enhancement that is specified as passing from bow to arrow, so both that and shock enhancements are bestowed on the target.

powerdemon
2010-11-17, 06:00 AM
A 255 No. If an enhancement on a projectile weapon states that it's transferred to ammunition, unique enhancements will all be presented to the target. So a +1 flaming bow firing +4 shock arrows will result in +4 flaming shock at the target. The +1 and +4 numerical enhancements don't stack, so you get the better of them. Flaming is an enhancement that is specified as passing from bow to arrow, so both that and shock enhancements are bestowed on the target.

Thanks. That is what I always thought but I wanted to make sure.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-17, 06:01 AM
Q256

Is there a spell that will allow me to grow a Dragon by a size category?

Coidzor
2010-11-17, 06:16 AM
A256

There is a nonstandard curse for Greater Bestow Curse that would allow one to bump a true dragon up to the next age category per use, which could be accompanied by a size increase.

Kumori
2010-11-17, 07:13 AM
Q 257

Do 'Resistance to Fire' and 'Resistance to Cold' protect a creature from environmental heat and cold damage?
I can find no specific mention of an interaction in the core books, nor are the damage types specified as anything other than lethal and non-lethal in the DMG so I presume no, but logic would say yes...

Runestar
2010-11-17, 08:08 AM
Q256

Is there a spell that will allow me to grow a Dragon by a size category?

Righteous might (if your dragon can access divine spells). Alternatively, 1 lv of psion and go expansion.

Think there is a 7th lv spell in complete arcane which makes you colossal as well.

Douglas
2010-11-17, 09:23 AM
A255 further note

This is one of the things that changed from 3.0 to 3.5. In 3.0, a +5 arrow shot from a +5 bow would indeed get a +10 bonus to attack and damage.

powerdemon
2010-11-17, 09:34 AM
A255 further note

This is one of the things that changed from 3.0 to 3.5. In 3.0, a +5 arrow shot from a +5 bow would indeed get a +10 bonus to attack and damage.

Ok, I must have been reading an old article. Thanks for the clarification.

Kaww
2010-11-17, 10:57 AM
A257
Yes. Relevant information may be found in Frostburn. Chapter describing dangers of frost...

Gnaritas
2010-11-17, 11:30 AM
Q258

So, i have a 30 feet average fly speed. And i want to get up as high as i can from the ground in one turn.
With my average speed i need a 5ft movement before i can fly. After that i have a maximum angle of 60 degrees, which practically means 10 ft up for every 5ft ahead. So if i move another 10 feet ahead i can go 20 feet up. This last movement is 22 something feet and add the 5 feet i needed before to make this 27, probably as much as i can get without getting past 30.
So now i am flying and i have a second move left. If i go 15 ft forward and 30 ft up i move more than the 30 ft allowed, but i can go 15 ft forward and 25 ft up.

Is this how i am supposed to look at it? Is there perhaps a link that explains it to a great detail with examples?

Kaww
2010-11-17, 11:43 AM
Q258

So, i have a 30 feet average fly speed. And i want to get up as high as i can from the ground in one turn.
With my average speed i need a 5ft movement before i can fly. After that i have a maximum angle of 60 degrees, which practically means 10 ft up for every 5ft ahead. So if i move another 10 feet ahead i can go 20 feet up. This last movement is 22 something feet and add the 5 feet i needed before to make this 27, probably as much as i can get without getting past 30.
So now i am flying and i have a second move left. If i go 15 ft forward and 30 ft up i move more than the 30 ft allowed, but i can go 15 ft forward and 25 ft up.

Is this how i am supposed to look at it? Is there perhaps a link that explains it to a great detail with examples?

A258

Your math isn't good. In a move action you move 30ft. You move 5 ft to start your flight, right? Now you have 25ft left. This is the length of your hypotenuses, since the angle is pi/3 (60 degrees) you move sqrt(3)*25/2 (21.6) feet vertically and 25/2 (12.5) feet horizontally.

Also you move 8.7 feet vertically per 5 feet horizontally.

Gnaritas
2010-11-17, 12:30 PM
A258

Your math isn't good. In a move action you move 30ft. You move 5 ft to start your flight, right? Now you have 25ft left. This is the length of your hypotenuses, since the angle is pi/3 (60 degrees) you move sqrt(3)*25/2 (21.6) feet vertically and 25/2 (12.5) feet horizontally.

Also you move 8.7 feet vertically per 5 feet horizontally.

Is this really what they intended. We always work in 5ft squares.
My angle is 63 degrees, which is a bit off indeed, i kind of assumed this is what was intended.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-11-17, 01:34 PM
Q259
Are the Summon Monster spells capable of creating creatures of the Humanoid type by any means? I seem to recall some books giving the option to summon 2nd-level warriors or something of the sort.

OMG PONIES
2010-11-17, 01:43 PM
Q258

A258

Unless I'm mistaken, a creature with average maneuverability does not need 5 feet of movement prior to flying (only between ascending and descending). However, you do need to maintain a minimum forward speed of half of your average speed. In this case, you must move forward at least 15 feet. Furthermore, you have to ascend at a maximum angle of 60 degrees, so no flying straight up for you. Some DMs might rule that you can't move straight up at any point in your turn (square to square), but I would say by RAW that you can move straight up as long as your total ascent for the round is no more than 60 degrees. Lastly, please keep in mind that ascending costs double movement, no matter the angle. Because of the doubled cost for ascending and the minimum forward speed, the maximum loft you could attain with a single move action is 10 feet. Assume that each cell is a 5-foot square in the following side view:

{table]||3|4
||2|
X|1||[/table]

X is where you start. Move 1, as always, counts as 5 feet. Move 2, though a 5 foot movement, counts as 10 feet (due to the doubled cost for ascent). Move 3, though a 5 foot movement, counts as 10 feet once again. Finally, Move 4 counts as 5 feet, bringing us to our minimum forward speed of 15 feet and our height to 10 feet (at a cost of 30 virtual feet of movement).

OMG PONIES
2010-11-17, 04:52 PM
Q260

Do items that grant feats and/or class features allow you to qualify for prestige classes?

Rasman
2010-11-17, 05:15 PM
Q261 Is there a limit to the number of free actions you can take in one round?

Thurbane
2010-11-17, 05:20 PM
Q 262

Can a creature with natural attacks use them to deliver a touch attack, while also attacking with a manufactured weapon? For instance, could a Lizard Folk full attack with a greataxe (both hands occupied), and also use it's bite to deliver a touch attack in the same round?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-17, 05:36 PM
A 260 Yes.

Again as in A 250, the rules merely state that you must meet the requirements, without any sub-rules about how you do so. If you lose access to a requirement you will no longer qualify. Losing an item which grants a feat has the same consequence as ability damage that drops you below the minimum score required for that feat. Prestige classes in Complete Warrior and Complete Arcane have rules which state that you lose (different) class features if you don't continuously maintain their entry requirements, but again this would cause problems due to ability loss (such as INT below the 13 minimum for Combat Expertise) with exactly the same problem as if you lost an item granting a feat.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-17, 05:40 PM
A 261 Yes.

The limit is whatever your DM specifies, and may vary from round to round based on the DM's judgment. From page 139 of the Player's Handbook:
Free Action: Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort, and over the span of the round, their impact is so minor that they are considered free. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, the DM puts reasonable limits on what you can really do for free.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-17, 05:48 PM
A 262 Yes.
If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. A successful bite of course requires touching your opponent. When combined with manufactured weapon attacks your bite attacks are subject to the -5 secondary natural attack penalty. (And you'll need to use the full attack action for this combination, barring some special ability.)

Curmudgeon
2010-11-17, 05:55 PM
A 251 No.

Charge is a special full-round action with its own rules about how you must move and attack. Thunderous Throw merely alters the rules about how you throw weapons, and has no impact on the charge requirements.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-17, 06:00 PM
A 252 Yes.

Desert Insight does not stipulate that the knowledge of additional spells applies to only one class, so it applies to all your spellcasting classes without regard to type.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-17, 06:15 PM
A 253 No.

Shock Trooper provides an exception to the normal rules. Normally you can't end your opponent's movement in the same square as another creature unless they're helpless. You can bull rush foes back to a wall and they'll stop there as normal. Again, Dungeon Crasher provides a special benefit (bonus damage) for this action which the normal rules do not offer.

A 254

The limitations specified in Pushback are the normal rules (you can't bull rush someone into an occupied space). Both Dungeon Crasher ACF and Shock Trooper provide exceptions to these normal rules.

GeminiVeil
2010-11-17, 09:16 PM
Q263
Does a touch attack have to be delivered by hand, or can it be delivered by any part of the body?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-17, 10:40 PM
A 263

A touch attack simply requires touching. You could touch with hand, foot, elbow, or any other part of your body. (Specific spells may add restrictions.)

powerdemon
2010-11-17, 11:34 PM
Q 264

Does turning undead break Invisibility on the "turner"?

Thurbane
2010-11-17, 11:42 PM
A 264

Yes. As per the SRD section on Turning "Turning is considered an attack.".

However, the more interesting question is can an invisible Cleric turn undead that cannot see him, since turning states "You must present your holy symbol to turn undead."? The DM would need to rule if you can "present" your symbol while invisible.

ffone
2010-11-18, 03:46 AM
Q265

For a Dungeoncrasher, how does one determine what counts as a 'wall' for purposes of being able to deal damage to a foe by bull rushing them into it?

For example, SRD forest terrain has trees which don't fill their squares, and 'massive trees' which do. Would either or both of these count?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-18, 05:36 AM
A 265 No.

Trees generally don't count as walls because they don't meet the definition:
wall –noun

1. any of various permanent upright constructions having a length much greater than the thickness and presenting a continuous surface except where pierced by doors, windows, etc. An individual DM might make an exception, but you shouldn't expect them to do so.

Rasman
2010-11-18, 06:38 AM
Q.266

For a Unarmed Strike, what is the step beyond 2d10? 2d12?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-18, 07:12 AM
A 266

It depends on which question you're asking. If you're referring to the Medium-size Monk unarmed damage progression, there is no increase past 2d10. If you're talking about increase in damage based on (effective) size (such as from Improved Natural Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#improvedNaturalAttack) (unarmed strike)) then you follow Dungeon Master's Guide Table 2–2: Increasing Weapon Damage by Size on page 28, and one size increase past 2d10 is 4d8.

Gnaritas
2010-11-18, 10:05 AM
Q267

I am a medium sized creature with a fly speed of 30ft with average maneuvrability, i have a spell i can cast at a range of 15 ft.
I am fighting a large sized giant with a long sword and a 10 ft reach.

I can fly above the creature just outside of his reach. I should be able to use my spell on him.

But since i do not have fly-by attack i will have to "float" above the giant on his turn. Can the giant jump up 5ft (DC 20) and attack me? Can he make a full attack? Can he ready a jump + attack or is the jump already a move action?

My guess is yes, no, no. But i want to be sure. If i am correct i should be able to make 2 attacks vs his 1 attack (fly down, attack, get attacked, attack, fly up).

Curmudgeon
2010-11-18, 10:48 AM
A 267

The giant cannot normally attack in the middle of movement without some exception to the usual rules, such as that provided by the Spring Attack feat.

From the Special Edition Player's Handbook 3.5:
When using the attack action with a melee weapon, you can split your move action in that round in order to move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed.
A Jump check is included in your movement, so it is part of a move action. However, you've left yourself open to a loophole by being only 5' away from where the giant could attack you.
Take 5-Foot Step

You can move 5 feet in any round when you don’t perform any other kind of movement. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity. You can’t take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round when you move any distance.

You can take a 5-foot step before, during, or after your other actions in the round. The giant could (with a DC 40 check) Jump up 5'. Having run out of movement by the restrictions of the 5' step, the giant would be required to finish the downward part of the Jump as the next available action (at the beginning of his next turn).
If you run out of movement mid-jump, your next action (either on this turn or, if necessary, on your next turn) must be a move action to complete the jump. Normally this would preclude attacking unless the giant had something like Spring Attack.
You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round. Here's the loophole: Since the giant can take a 5' step as part of a readied action, he could ready an action to Jump up 5' and make a standard action attack. The attack is coupled with the movement by the Ready rules, so that attack doesn't have to wait until the Jump movement is completed.

So your answers are no, no, and yes: the giant can Jump up 5' and attack you only with a readied action ─ if he can make the required check. With Spring Attack that first answer instead becomes a yes.

zagan
2010-11-18, 12:24 PM
Q 268

Can you make an Aoo against an invisible target if you can pinpoint it using scent ? Taking the normal 50% miss chance when attacking an invisible target of course.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-18, 12:46 PM
A 268 No.
You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with total concealment, even if you know what square or squares the opponent occupies. Pinpointing the square isn't enough.

zagan
2010-11-18, 01:08 PM
Okay, thanks

edit: evidently it was under concealment not under Attack of opportunity.

ffone
2010-11-18, 01:57 PM
Q269

The SRD says "An immediate action is very similar to a swift action, but can be performed at any time — even if it's not your turn." Does this mean that if you use an immediate action, you can't use a swift action on your next turn (b/c the former already 'consumed' your 1 swift action per round)?

Douglas
2010-11-18, 02:02 PM
A269

What you quoted is the summary line. The full description of an immediate action is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm#immediateActions), and explicitly states that "You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn (effectively, using an immediate action before your turn is equivalent to using your swift action for the coming turn)."

So yes, what you stated is how it works - using an immediate action out of turn consumes your next turn's swift action.

Kaww
2010-11-18, 02:03 PM
Q269

The SRD says "An immediate action is very similar to a swift action, but can be performed at any time — even if it's not your turn." Does this mean that if you use an immediate action, you can't use a swift action on your next turn (b/c the former already 'consumed' your 1 swift action per round)?

A269

Yes.

How could you miss it? It's in the same paragraph
Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn.

EDIT: Swordsages...

hydraa
2010-11-18, 02:29 PM
Q 270 Does the spell "Spirtual Weapon" get to apply any of the forms of precision damage of the caster (Per the spell, The caster'sl feats do not apply so that would seem to rule out some precision damage such as Craven)

Q 270a If precision damage is allowed, when would precision damage be allowed (assuming precision damage factors are met of course)

A. Every strike of the weapon
B. The first round of the spell only
C. On the first stirke each round for a high BAB
D. The first strike on each target of the spell if the spell is redirected to a new target

Q 270b Can a spiritual weapon perform a coup de grace ( I think not since spell says the spell strikes as a spell and not as a weapon, and there is no reference to using a spell for coup de grace)

Rasman
2010-11-18, 04:45 PM
Q 270 Does the spell "Spirtual Weapon" get to apply any of the forms of precision damage of the caster (Per the spell, The caster'sl feats do not apply so that would seem to rule out some precision damage such as Craven)

Q 270a If precision damage is allowed, when would precision damage be allowed (assuming precision damage factors are met of course)

A. Every strike of the weapon
B. The first round of the spell only
C. On the first stirke each round for a high BAB
D. The first strike on each target of the spell if the spell is redirected to a new target

Q 270b Can a spiritual weapon perform a coup de grace ( I think not since spell says the spell strikes as a spell and not as a weapon, and there is no reference to using a spell for coup de grace)

A 270a I does not seem like it would since it states

It does not get a flanking bonus or help a combatant get one. Your feats or combat actions do not affect the weapon.

so I would say no

A 270BNormally you can not, the only way I've found it possible to coup de grace with a SPELL is with levels in Spell Warp Sniper, but in that case, it would have to be a ray spell. So in short, not to my knowledge, so you'd be right.

Q271

Does the feat Furious Focus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/furious-focus-combat) apply to Unarmed Strike Attacks? What if those attacks are made with a Cestus, which allows a Monk to deal Unarmed Damage?

TheAmishPirate
2010-11-18, 07:27 PM
Q272 If a Monk takes levels in Ranger (via the Ascetic Hunter feat), and takes the Wildshape Variant for the Ranger class, does his Unarmed Strike damage apply in his alternate form, or does it depend on the animal?

Urpriest
2010-11-18, 07:31 PM
Q272 If a Monk takes levels in Ranger (via the Ascetic Hunter feat), and takes the Wildshape Variant for the Ranger class, does his Unarmed Strike damage apply in his alternate form, or does it depend on the animal?

A272

By default, any creature can use Unarmed Strike. Be aware that size differences will change your damage as normal for a Monk, and that using both unarmed attacks and natural attacks in a full attack follows the same rules as using manufactured weapons and natural attacks.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-18, 07:56 PM
Re: Q 271

This forum is for D&D 3.5 questions. You can pose Pathfinder questions in this other thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123432).

BIGMamaSloth
2010-11-18, 10:33 PM
Q 273

can an unarmed swordsage two weapon fight with unarmed strikes? as he does have two arms.

ffone
2010-11-19, 12:22 AM
Q274

Do 'trees' ('regular' rather than the 'massive' kind as in SRD Environment) block charge or run actions? Do they cause any impedence or penalties to ranged attacks which go through their spaces? Can they be used for Dungeoncrasher damage?

Kaww
2010-11-19, 12:41 AM
A274

Depends. If the tree is in a square through which the charger MUST go through then it blocks the charge.

You may run around trees, avoid hazards etc if you don't feel like falling/tripping/crashing into stuff.

Yes, they provide a certain lever of cover if they are used as cover (at DM's discretion). More info in PHB pg. 150.

I think you or someone else asked this question short while ago. The answer is NO.

Kaww
2010-11-19, 12:58 AM
A273

If you consider unarmed attacks wielded weapon (Improved unarmed strike says that you are considered armed) there is no reason why you couldn't do it. If he has the flaw 'amputee' you might have problems... :smallwink:

Curmudgeon
2010-11-19, 02:21 AM
A 273 No.

The problem with using two-weapon fighting with unarmed strikes is that you don't meet the RAW requirement.
Two-Weapon Fighting

If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon. While you may use any part of your body to make unarmed attacks, you've only got a single unarmed strike. That is, any adjustments to your unarmed strike affect that single weapon, and cannot result in different properties in your main hand and off hand weapons. If you actually had the second weapon required by the two-weapon fighting rules it would have its own properties.

There's nothing mechanically unfair about taking the required penalties to get a single extra attack; it's just not permitted by the RAW (absent some special class property which provides such an exception). You could ask your DM to create a house rule on this matter.

Boci
2010-11-19, 02:23 AM
Follow up Q 273

What if you wore gauntlets?

Derjuin
2010-11-19, 02:24 AM
Q275

Girallon's Blessing (Spell Compendium, p. 106) says you gain 2 extra arms, and 4 1d4 claw attacks (plus a Rend attack), but you can't use the claw attacks if you attack using a "normal weapon"; are slams included under the "normal weapon" category, or could you, say, cast this on an animal companion that already can bite and slam, and have them bite, slam and claw all in the same full attack?

Q276

Are the claw attacks' dice damage granted by Girallon's Blessing related to size?

Kaww
2010-11-19, 02:38 AM
A275

Slam attack is a natural weapon attack, so you may use slam + girallon's blessing + ...

A276

It is not stated in the spell description. (Maybe it is in some errata?) WotC usually does these descriptions assuming that base creature is M. This means it's up to your DM, personally I increase the dice.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-19, 02:41 AM
Follow up Q 273

What if you wore gauntlets?
This really should be its own number, but gauntlets don't change that fact that unarmed strikes may be made with any part of the body. An unarmed adaptation Swordsage can already deal lethal damage with their unarmed strikes, and since adding gauntlets changes nothing else about unarmed strikes* the answer remains the same.

* Well, if you strictly follow Table 7–5: Weapons in the Equipment chapter, gauntlet damage will be fixed at 1d3 damage if Medium size, and this value would be used instead of any unarmed damage progression given by class features.

Kaww
2010-11-19, 02:52 AM
A 273 No.

The problem with using two-weapon fighting with unarmed strikes is that you don't meet the RAW requirement. While you may use any part of your body to make unarmed attacks, you've only got a single unarmed strike. That is, any adjustments to your unarmed strike affect that single weapon, and cannot result in different properties in your main hand and off hand weapons. If you actually had the second weapon required by the two-weapon fighting rules it would have its own properties.

There's nothing mechanically unfair about taking the required penalties to get a single extra attack; it's just not permitted by the RAW (absent some special class property which provides such an exception). You could ask your DM to create a house rule on this matter.

Definition of the word armed is:

Armed - using or carrying weapons

Again IUS says that you are considered armed (using or carrying a weapon).

I agree with Curmudgeon that even if you are not allowed to do it by RAW, most DMs will allow it.

EDITED

Curmudgeon
2010-11-19, 03:24 AM
Definition of the word armed is:
I'm not quibbling about "armed". The sticking point is the requirement that "you wield a second weapon" when you only have the one unarmed strike. (Also your hands, either primary or off, never normally become an issue with unarmed strikes, since you would fight unarmed with no penalties if you had both hands tied behind your back.)

Kaww
2010-11-19, 03:40 AM
Q277

If you have grafts or active spells that allow more than one natural attack can you use TWF?

@ Curmudgeon: You are right I totally missed that.. :smallfrown:, hence this question...

Curmudgeon
2010-11-19, 04:32 AM
A 277 No.

Natural attacks (with the exception of unarmed strikes, which are a unique case) have their own attack progression, and may be used in parallel with iterative attacks.

Awetugiw
2010-11-19, 07:49 AM
Q278. Related to the answers about natural and manufactured weapons given before:so a Dire Lion with a normal attack routine of
2 claws +13 melee (1d6+7) and bite +7 melee (1d8+3)
could instead make an attack routine
unarmed strike +12/+7 (1d4+7) and 2 claws +8 (1d6+3) and bite +7 (1d8+3)?
(Although it will very rarely have a reason to do so. The extra +1 to claw attack is due to Weapon Focus.)

In particular, the Manufactured Weapons entry in the SRD specifically mentions that the attacks that used to be primary attacks take a -5 to attack, but doesn't say anything about getting only half strength to damage. Do they get half or full strength bonus?

OMG PONIES
2010-11-19, 10:11 AM
Q279:

Can a monk wielding special monk weapons use Flurry of Blows in conjunction with Two-Weapon Fighting?

Gnaritas
2010-11-19, 10:21 AM
A279:

Yes, the penalties stack though.

A Monk 1 with TWF-feat can make 3 attacks at a -4 penalty as a full-round action.

That said, i believe Snapkick (Tome of Battle) allows you to do the same, but can also be used as a standard action (2 attacks at a -2 penalty).

cd4
2010-11-19, 01:48 PM
Q280

Is there any spell that either penalises the enemy or deals damage to them and has the at least three of the following conditions:

Saving throw: None
SR:No
Attack roll: No
Not blocked by Mind Blank?

Boci
2010-11-19, 01:55 PM
A 280

Curse of Impending Blades from Spell Compendium is the only one I can think of.

Douglas
2010-11-19, 02:10 PM
A280

Hail of Stone (Spell Compendium) does damage and satisfies all four. Additionally it's untyped damage, area, and instantaneous conjuration. It's pretty much the ultimate in unblockable attack spells. Sadly, it's capped at a mere 5d4 damage and has a non-negligible material component.

Boci
2010-11-19, 02:41 PM
A280

Hail of Stone (Spell Compendium) does damage and satisfies all four. Additionally it's untyped damage, area, and instantaneous conjuration. It's pretty much the ultimate in unblockable attack spells. Sadly, it's capped at a mere 5d4 damage and has a non-negligible material component.

Additionally, as of Complete Arcana, its a warmage or wu gen spell, not a sorc/wiz one. Ignore that, I though Complete Arcana was the newer version.

tyckspoon
2010-11-19, 02:53 PM
A 280 Some more:

3 of 4 is not too hard- specifically, no SR, not Mind-Affecting is the general category of Conjuration attack spells, and no save is generally a property of the single-target attacks, like Acid Arrow and the Orb spells, that substitute a ranged touch attack instead. The Orb spells also carry a rider debuff for penalizing the victim, although this secondary effect does allow a save.

OMG PONIES
2010-11-19, 03:16 PM
Q281:

Does a feral PC gain special attacks (like rake and rend) as it levels? The text itself seems contradictory:

A feral creature gains additional special attacks depending on its Hit Dice...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Hit Dice include those from class levels. However, the same entry later says:

It gains the special attacks indicated in the row corresponding to its monster Hit Dice...

Emphasis mine, but this seems to stipulate that class levels don't count. Which is the case?

Gnaritas
2010-11-19, 06:55 PM
Q280

Is there any spell that either penalises the enemy or deals damage to them and has the at least three of the following conditions:

Saving throw: None
SR:No
Attack roll: No
Not blocked by Mind Blank?

Acid Fog (SRD)
Anarchic Storm (and friends, SpC)

Curmudgeon
2010-11-19, 07:07 PM
A 281

Only monster racial hit dice count for the special attacks the Feral template offers. All hit dice count for the special qualities (including darkvision and fast healing) from Feral, as well as other template changes. To get all the benefits of Feral a character must have 12+ monster racial HD.

sreservoir
2010-11-20, 11:58 PM
Q 282

Does a cleric qualify for "able to spontaneously cast x-level spells" with its ability to convert prepared spells into cure/inflict?

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-21, 01:20 AM
Q 282

Does a cleric qualify for "able to spontaneously cast x-level spells" with its ability to convert prepared spells into cure/inflict?

A 282

I'm pretty sure the answer would be yes, but only if "x" is a level where the cleric has an applicable cure/inflict spell to cast (0 through 8).

Scarey Nerd
2010-11-21, 10:07 AM
Q 283

How many Metamagic feats can you apply to a single prepared spell as an Archivist?

Boci
2010-11-21, 12:01 PM
A 283

As many as you have, as long as the altered spell slot is of low enough level for you to cast.

ffone
2010-11-22, 12:44 AM
Q284

Can a shield (enchanted as both a +1 weapon and +1 shield) simultaneously hold both a weapon armor crystal and armor augment crystal?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-22, 01:40 AM
A 284 No.

From Magic Item Compendium on page 221:
Each item can hold a single augment crystal, but an attached crystal can be swapped for another one at any time.

Fisticuffs
2010-11-22, 01:44 AM
Q285
What are the total ability modifiers for being venerable?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-22, 02:06 AM
A 285

At venerable age, -6 each to Str, Dex, and Con; +3 each to Int, Wis, and Cha.

mikej
2010-11-22, 02:10 AM
Q286

Simple quck question here to settle a smal debate with another player.

Would a 5th lv Druid/Planar Shepherd 3rd lv be able to WS into a large creature like a typical 8th Druid. Also a small explaination of WS stacking would also be approciated.

Thank You

Kaww
2010-11-22, 02:20 AM
A286

Yes. Wildshape size, number of wildshapes per day and duration are that of a level X Druid. X = Druid lvls + Anyclassthatgiveswildshape lvl - penalty to wildshape that a class gives (0 for PS).

This means that you check in table the Druid (PHB) the entry for lvl X druid for all relevant info.

Scarey Nerd
2010-11-22, 03:11 AM
Q 287

Are a Yuan-Ti's spell-like abilities Psionic? Everything else is, but I can't see that the SLAs are.

Kaww
2010-11-22, 03:20 AM
A287

No, when not stated otherwise SLA emulate spells. Check out the Aboleth entry, same book pg. 8.

Souhiro
2010-11-22, 06:06 AM
[Q 288]

If a Paladin or a Ranger goes epic and get the "Improved Spell Capacity" Feat. Could he gain Lvl-5 spells?
If he does ¿Which list should use?

And as anexum, a Paladin who goes epic and manages to get Lvl-9 spells. Could he get the Epic Spellcasting?

Kaww
2010-11-22, 06:12 AM
A288

He doesn't get new level of spells, only spell slots of lvl 5. Thus he may apply any MMF +1 to a lvl 4 spell, +2 to a lvl 3 spell etc.

Runestar
2010-11-22, 06:22 AM
[Q 288]

If a Paladin or a Ranger goes epic and get the "Improved Spell Capacity" Feat. Could he gain Lvl-5 spells?
If he does ¿Which list should use?

And as anexum, a Paladin who goes epic and manages to get Lvl-9 spells. Could he get the Epic Spellcasting?

Yes, it would be expensive (having to take ISC 5 times), but he could take epic spellcasting eventually.

It is a bit ambiguous, but you might be able to take bonus domain and spontaneous domain for the ability to cast 5th to 9th lv domain spells using your higher lv slots.

I think the divine disciple prc (player's guide to faerun) adds a domain's spells to your spell list for paladins.

Mangles
2010-11-22, 07:50 AM
Q 289

Can a warlock/binder bind Laraje and use the ricochet ability on his eldritch blast?

If he could would he be able to use it with a blast shape like chain?

zagan
2010-11-22, 12:12 PM
A 289

No it's no possible because both necessite a standard action.

WarKitty
2010-11-22, 01:47 PM
Q290

BoED ravages state that the creature's charisma modifier is added to the damage. Does this mean that a creature with a negative charisma mod takes less damage?

Kaww
2010-11-22, 02:30 PM
A290

Unless noted otherwise you do take less dmg, as with +str to dmg, if your cha mod is <0. Minimum amount of dmg is always 1.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-22, 02:41 PM
Q291

What Base classes have a Good Reflex & Will Save?

Boci
2010-11-22, 03:02 PM
A 291

Swordsage is all I can think of.

Tasroth
2010-11-22, 03:05 PM
A 291

Bard.

Monk and Favoured Soul have all Good saves.

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, though there may be others.

Dzondo
2010-11-22, 04:14 PM
Q 292
Can I use "ki smite(dr351 p87)" for AoO?

Ki Smite:
By expending one use of your Ki Power, gain the following on your next Melee attack:
1. +(Wisdom modifier) on the attack roll;
2. if you hit, receive a bonus to damage of +(Ninja level + remaining uses in your Ki Power pool).

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-22, 04:24 PM
Q 292
Can I use "ki smite(dr351 p87)" for AoO?

Ki Smite:
By expending one use of your Ki Power, gain the following on your next Melee attack:
1. +(Wisdom modifier) on the attack roll;
2. if you hit, receive a bonus to damage of +(Ninja level + remaining uses in your Ki Power pool).

What action is the ability described as taking (full, standard, move, swift, immediate, free)?

Dzondo
2010-11-22, 04:32 PM
What action is the ability described as taking (full, standard, move, swift, immediate, free)?

Ki Smite
You may channel your ki power into melee attacks
prerequisite: Ki power, sudden strike +2d6
benefit: You can spend one daily use of ki power to grant yourself a bonus on your next melee attack roll equal to your wisdom bonus. you also deal extra damage equal to your ninja level plus your curent pool of ki power uses(not counting the ki use spent to activate this feat)

That is all the text for the feat. I've been useing it for melee atacks when it is my round(planed), sometimes once sometimes 3-4 times in one full.
But AoO is not someting planed in advance, so I am not sure if my AoO can be a ki smite...

sreservoir
2010-11-22, 04:36 PM
Q 293

Can the Master Specialist's Expanded Spellbook class feature be used to select a spell not on the sorcerer/wizard spell list? (I'd think yes, because otherwise it's not particularly useful considering you have to be a wizard to get in, but.)

Kaww
2010-11-22, 04:54 PM
A293

I'd have to say no. There is nothing saying anything against the general rule of you getting spells from wiz/sors spell list. It is explicitly stated when you are allowed to use spells that normally appear on other class's spell list.

Examples are: Rainbow servant, Sand Shaper etc.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-23, 01:17 AM
A 292 Yes.

Ki Smite modifies a single melee attack roll. An attack of opportunity requires a single melee attack roll.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-23, 01:27 AM
Re: A 293

Kaww is correct.
Expanded Spellbook: When you reach 2nd level, you can add one spell of your chosen school to your spellbook. The spell can be of any level that you can cast As a specialist Wizard/Master Specialist, you would be capable of casting 3rd level Wizard spells, and thus could add such a spell to your spellbook using Expanded Spellbook. You would not be capable of casting 3rd level Druid spells, and thus could not add such a spell using Expanded Spellbook. Even if your specialty were Transmutation, a spell like Plant Growth (3rd level Druid Transmutation spell) is not of a level that you can cast since you have no ability to cast Druid spells of any level.

Kaww
2010-11-23, 08:18 AM
Q294

What kind of action is spinning 360 degrees while not moving? Move, swift?

Adrayll
2010-11-23, 09:32 AM
Q295

What Full-BAB classes grant evasion at or before level 4?

Boci
2010-11-23, 09:38 AM
A 294

Free or no action, since there are no facing rules in 3.X.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-23, 09:57 AM
A 295 None.

Forged Fury
2010-11-23, 03:24 PM
Q296

Does the kalashtar's racial power point bonus mean that a kalashtar receives a bonus power point per class level or a bonus power point at each class level? For example, does a 6th level kalashtar psion add 1 or 6 points to their power point reserve as a result of their racial bonus?

Noodles2375
2010-11-23, 03:32 PM
Q 297

Suppose a 20th level factotum has chosen "Energy Immunity" from the Dragon Shaman class abilities as one of his available abilities to use with cunning brilliance. He'd like to gain the benefit of the ability. How does he find out what energy type he is immune to since he never chose a breath weapon at 4th level?

I can think of three options, but the only one supported by RAW is "he gains no energy immunity, as he selected no breath weapon at 4th level."

Aside: The other two options would be: 1) Choose on resolution of the ability or 2) Choose at the beginning of the day when you select the available extraordinary abilities.

Gnaritas
2010-11-23, 04:25 PM
Q296

Does the kalashtar's racial power point bonus mean that a kalashtar receives a bonus power point per class level or a bonus power point at each class level? For example, does a 6th level kalashtar psion add 1 or 6 points to their power point reserve as a result of their racial bonus?

A296 6, but i am not really sure what the difference is in your first question.

Cieyrin
2010-11-23, 06:48 PM
Q298
Lycanthropes follow the rules in Alternate Form on stat changes between forms. In reference to my question, specifically the section that says HP doesn't change if your Con score does. What happens when you rage if you're in hybrid/animal form? Do you get HP based on your current Con score or do you just get 2*HD hp (assuming regular rage, not Greater or Mighty)?

Tytalus
2010-11-23, 06:57 PM
Q299 Does the number of Turn Undead usages stack for a Cleric1/Paladin4?

Tytalus
2010-11-23, 07:08 PM

Kaww is correct. As a specialist Wizard/Master Specialist, you would be capable of casting 3rd level Wizard spells, and thus could add such a spell to your spellbook using Expanded Spellbook. You would not be capable of casting 3rd level Druid spells, and thus could not add such a spell using Expanded Spellbook. Even if your specialty were Transmutation, a spell like Plant Growth (3rd level Druid Transmutation spell) is not of a level that you can cast since you have no ability to cast Druid spells of any level.

That does not follow from the rule passage ("The spell can be of any level that you can cast") you quoted, i.e., you are reading more into the sentence than there is. The character in the example can cast spells of level zero to three. Plant Growth is of a 3rd level spell. No problem there.

Now WotC Customer Service has made it clear on several occasions that the intent of class features like this is to work only for spells on the character's spell list(s), but it's not clearly specified in the RAW.

Claudius Maximus
2010-11-23, 07:09 PM
Q298
Lycanthropes follow the rules in Alternate Form on stat changes between forms. In reference to my question, specifically the section that says HP doesn't change if your Con score does. What happens when you rage if you're in hybrid/animal form? Do you get HP based on your current Con score or do you just get 2*HD hp (assuming regular rage, not Greater or Mighty)?

C (A?) 298

While looking into this I discovered that the Rules Compendium writeup on Alternate Form included what seems to be an interesting change.

The following line from the SRD concerning Alternate Form and ability scores is omitted:

Apply any changed physical ability score modifiers in all appropriate areas with one exception: the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution.

And the RC writeup has only these things to say on the matter of ability scores and HP:

- The creature gains the physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution) of its assumed form. It retains the mental ability scores (Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma) of its natural form.

- The creature retains its Hit Dice, hit points, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses, although some of these numbers might change based on its new ability scores.

Emphasis mine. HP is the only value there that can be changed by ability scores, so me it looks like the RC change has made it so you can use the new form's constitution modifier for HP instead of your own. This would have some ramification for Wild Shape and Polymorph. By this reading you would gain HP by raging while in Alternate Form, since the hard block on changing HP is dropped.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-23, 07:11 PM
A 297

You've discerned the correct answer: he gains no benefit, as he selected no breath weapon at 4th level. However, your alternatives which would allow some benefit are not at all within the realm of possibilities, because you're basically trying to mimic part of the Supernatural Dragon Shaman ability Breath Weapon for free. Factotums can neither mimic Supernatural abilities, nor mimic an ability chain without individually selecting each element of (up to three) Extraordinary class abilities in such a chain.

Cieyrin
2010-11-23, 07:12 PM
Q299 Does the number of Turn Undead usages stack for a Cleric1/Paladin4?

A299
They're effectively different abilities, so you can turn 3+cha times at Cleric 1 and then 3+cha times as a Cleric of Paladin level -3, or Cleric 1 again.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-23, 07:25 PM
That does not follow from the rule passage ("The spell can be of any level that you can cast") you quoted, i.e., you are reading more into the sentence than there is. The character in the example can cast spells of level zero to three.
You're blithely assuming all spells from other spell lists at level X would translate to Wizard level X, and the rules demonstrate that that is not the case. For instance, the Cleric level 4 spell Control Water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/controlWater.htm) is not of a level that a Transmutation specialist Wizard/Master Specialist, capable of casting spells at levels 0-4, can cast: it's instead a level 6 spell and thus outside the spell level range for that character.

A Druid level 3 spell is (unless it also has some specified Wizard level equivalent) outside the range of all levels of spells a Wizard can cast. There is no Wizard spell level of a given <other class> spell unless the rules provide such a level number.

Kaww's original answer remains correct.

Lateral
2010-11-23, 08:08 PM
Q 300

Hey, could someone tell me if the Runescarred Berserker prestige class (Unapproachable East) gets bonus Runescars for high Wisdom?

Edit: Runescars are not SLAs. They are divine spells, just with a different method of use.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-23, 08:40 PM
A 300 No.

Edit: Answer changed due to changed question.

The Player's Handbook section on ABILITIES AND SPELLCASTERS (pages 7-8) mentions only the core spellcasting classes. It doesn't state a general rule awarding bonus spells to all spellcasters. If such a rule were in effect, we wouldn't need lines like this (for the Favored Soul):
In addition, she receives bonus spells for a high Charisma.
You could talk to your DM about a house rule for the Runescarred Berserker.

ffone
2010-11-24, 02:46 AM
Q301

Can a cleric use scrolls or wands which cast spells that are on any domain spell lists, or must they be domains she has (or cleric spells anyway)?

Runestar
2010-11-24, 04:56 AM
Q301

Can a cleric use scrolls or wands which cast spells that are on any domain spell lists, or must they be domains she has (or cleric spells anyway)?

The spells must be on from the domains she has.

WarrenZig
2010-11-24, 05:09 AM
Q302

How do we calculate cu. ft? when i calculate it as cubic feet it ends up insanely small for the spell it's used for; like control temperature it says it is 20 cu. ft per level, but at level 20 it's about a 7x7x7 and for a spell that's supposed to change the temperature it seems small.

Gnaritas
2010-11-24, 05:22 AM
A302

20 feet cube by level means at level 10 you can have an area consisting of 10 times a 20x20x20 ft cube.

For example a 40 ft wide, 100ft long, 20 ft high.

20 cubic feet is 2.7x2.7x2.7. So if it indeed says cu. ft....then yes it is 2.7ft per side.

I assume you are talking about Control Temperature from Frostburn, and i agree, it probably is not what was intended.

Mangles
2010-11-24, 07:22 AM
Q303
a)
Would a character that had the Beast Strike feat (Dragon #355: adds claw damage to unarmed attacks), who had both a bracers of striking with the flaming enhancement and a amulet of natural attacks on his claws with the frost enhancement strike someone with his unarmed strike counted as both frost and flaming?

b)
Could someone without the feat but with the amulet of natural attacks instead affecting unarmed strike be able to strike with both the frost and flaming enhancements?

c) how many time do you have to pay for the amulet of natural attacks to affect your full attack of an unarmed attack?

Runestar
2010-11-24, 07:30 AM
Q303
c) how many time do you have to pay for the amulet of natural attacks to affect your full attack of an unarmed attack?

Once, though it will benefit your unarmed strike regardless of which part of your body you attack with, be it your head, fist, kick, butt etc.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-24, 07:47 AM
Re: Q 303

I don't know what "a amulet of natural attacks" is. There's an Amulet of Natural Armor in the Dungeon Master's Guide, and a Necklace of Natural Weapons in Savage Species.

If you're thinking of the latter item, the answers are:

a) Yes.

b) Yes.

c) Once.

Unarmed strike is a singe natural weapon. You cannot, for instance, have different attack bonus and damage for your left kick vs. your right punch vs. your head butt; they're all just parts of your single natural attack, just as the left edge, point, and right edge are part of a short sword.

Wonton
2010-11-24, 12:28 PM
Q 304

Am I correct interpreting the cover rules if I assume that someone firing a bow through an arrow slit gains +8 AC from improved cover, but all of his targets gain +8 AC too?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-24, 12:51 PM
A 304

The answer depends on a purely arbitrary factor of grid location. If any part of the arrow slit happens to be at a corner of the square, then the archer's targets in the open do not have cover.
Cover

To determine whether your target has cover from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect or provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature, the target has cover (+4 to AC). Improved cover doubles the normal AC bonuses, so that would be either double +4 = +8, or double +0 = +0.

Tytalus
2010-11-24, 12:53 PM
You're blithely assuming all spells from other spell lists at level X would translate to Wizard level X, and the rules demonstrate that that is not the case.

A Druid level 3 spell is (unless it also has some specified Wizard level equivalent) outside the range of all levels of spells a Wizard can cast. There is no Wizard spell level of a given <other class> spell unless the rules provide such a level number.

That conclusion has no basis in RAW. You are suggesting that spells have to "translate to Wizard level X" (whatever that means) in some fashion, but that is in no way supported by the rules.

The RAW is, in fact, rather clear. You get to pick a spell based on its level. That's it. And a level 3 spell is, in fact, a level 3 spell.

Now, if there was a spell that is both a wizard spell and a non-wizard spell - and with different spell levels at that - you'll need to decide which one to pick. You might argue that - in those specific cases - you'll have to use the wizard version, but that has little to to with Plant Growth qualifying as being a 3rd level spell.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-24, 01:03 PM

That conclusion has no basis in RAW. You are suggesting that spells have to "translate to Wizard level X" (whatever that means) in some fashion, but that is in no way supported by the rules.
From the Complete Mage Errata:
Page 70 – Expanded Spellbook [Revision]
First sentence should read, “When you reach 2nd level, you can add one wizard spell of your chosen school to your spellbook.” (emphasis added)

Tytalus
2010-11-24, 01:20 PM
From the Complete Mage Errata: (emphasis added)

Now, that is actually RAW! Not like the odd wizard level level translation thing you suggested, or the argument for your earlier posting on the matter.

Thanks for clearing up the issue!

Lateral
2010-11-24, 01:30 PM
Q 305

Psions who specialize can still use powers of other disciplines, right? Just not from another discipline's specific list? So a tenth level Egoist could use a 5th level psion power that's of the Psychoportation discipline (like Psionic Plane Shift), but not a spell that's from the list of Nomad powers (Psionic Teleport).

Edit: Okay. My DM seems to think that I can only take powers from my discipline.

tyckspoon
2010-11-24, 01:40 PM
A 305

Yes. A Psion's discipline does not bar him from using any powers; rather, it determines what powers he may select as Powers Known when leveling. By default, a psion may choose from the general psion list plus the specialty powers of his own discipline. If he finds a way to add another specialty discipline power to his list of powers known, he may manifest it normally. He may even manifest it from a power stone or from another character's powers, regardless of his own discipline choice. It's nowhere near as restrictive as a Wizard specialist choice.

Lazij Scalesong
2010-11-24, 02:16 PM
Q 306: About dragonfire inspiration:

If your creature has a dragonblooded sub-type, but is not associated with a dragon (For example, kobolds and spellscales), do you pick an association? Can you even use dragonfire inspiration with such a character?

For example: A non-dragonwrought kobold bard taking the feat 'Dragonfire Inspiration'.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-24, 02:50 PM
A 306

No, you don't pick an association. That part of the Dragonfire Inspiration feat is only if you have the Draconic Heritage feat or if you are a half-dragon. Without these considerations Dragonfire Inspiration deals fire damage.
Special: Each ally so inspired loses the standard morale bonus on weapon attack rolls and damage rolls. Instead, he deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage with his weapons for every point of morale bonus that your inspire courage ability would normally add to the attack roll.

Lateral
2010-11-24, 02:52 PM
Q 307

Is a CE half-fiend affected by a vrock's Dance of Ruin?

Edit: Damn.

Forged Fury
2010-11-24, 03:34 PM
A296 6, but i am not really sure what the difference is in your first question.

Follow up to Q296

Sorry, I'm trying to determine if "per level" is additive or a new total is figured at each level. I can see two possible results:

Additive:
1st level kalashtar psion receives 2+1 PP w/o factoring bonus due to Int
6th level kalashtar psion receives 35+6 PP w/o factoring bonus due to Int

New PP Total at Each Level:
6th level kalashtar psion receives 35+1 PP w/o factoring bonus due to Int

I'm going toward the former, but wanted to make sure.

sreservoir
2010-11-24, 04:03 PM
[b]Q 307[b]

What spells does a cleric "know" for the purposes of things like Rashemi spirit magic?

WarKitty
2010-11-24, 04:32 PM
Q308Q309

Is there any way to shrink the weapon effort category? I.e. a method to wield a two-handed weapon in one hand?

Kaww
2010-11-24, 05:04 PM
[b]Q 307[b]

What spells does a cleric "know" for the purposes of things like Rashemi spirit magic?

A307

Cleric knows all spells from his spell list. Plus his chosen domain's domain spells. All of which are considered divine.

Kaww
2010-11-24, 05:10 PM
Q 307

Is a CE half-fiend affected by a vrock's Dance of Ruin?

A307

Yes. Although he is CE and outsider native, but is not a demon.

{Scrubbed} we have two 307, so next one should be 310.

Gnaritas
2010-11-24, 05:13 PM
Follow up to Q296

Sorry, I'm trying to determine if "per level" is additive or a new total is figured at each level. I can see two possible results:

Additive:
6th level kalashtar psion receives 35+6 PP w/o factoring bonus due to Int

New PP Total at Each Level:
6th level kalashtar psion receives 35+1 PP w/o factoring bonus due to Int

I'm going toward the former, but wanted to make sure.

It is the former.
They receive 1 PP per character level.
If it was the latter they would have simply said, "Dromites gain 1 bonus power point at 1st level." as with the Dromite.

Boci
2010-11-24, 05:51 PM
Q 310

How much does it cost to add spells to Boccob's Blessed Book? The item's entry says I do not need to pay the 25gp per page cost, but the PH says its 100gp per page.

Gnaritas
2010-11-24, 06:32 PM
A310

The 25 gp is wrong, this is in the faq, i do not have the original link to the wizards site, but this is a copy of it:
http://www.ps-games.nl/images/downloads/D&D3.5faq.pdf
Check Page-10/11

Jack_Simth
2010-11-24, 06:58 PM
I was looking at Imbue With Spell Ability recently, specifically the clause "Once you cast imbue with spell ability, you cannot prepare a new 4th-level spell to replace it until the recipient uses the imbued spells or is slain, or until you dismiss the imbue with spell ability spell. In the meantime, you remain responsible to your deity or your principles for the use to which the spell is put. If the number of 4th-level spells you can cast decreases, and that number drops below your current number of active imbue with spell ability spells, the more recently cast imbued spells are dispelled."

Some oddball questions about it:
Q311 What happens if the Rogue UMD's this spell off of a wand, scroll, or other disposable device, using other wands to provide the transferred spells (again through UMD)?

Q312 What happens if the Cleric invokes a Wand, scroll, or other disposable device of this spell?
a) If the Cleric doesn't yet have 4th level spell slots?
b) If the Cleric has some 4th level spell slots, but invokes the disposable device more times than the Cleric has 4th level spell slots?
c) If the Cleric has more 4th level spell slots than the Cleric uses in this manner?

Q313 What happens if a Cleric Heightens this, and casts it out of a 5th level slot?

WarrenZig
2010-11-24, 10:18 PM
A311 Imbue with Spell Ability requires that the spells you are transferring be prepared and as a rogue (or cleric trying to transfer unprepared spells) you would be unable to transfer anything.

A312

a) The spell states that if the cleric has less 4th level spell slots then imbue spells cast then the most recently cast imbue is cancelled. So the spell would fizzle after casting it.

b) Read above

c) The spell doesn't preform the effect it simply bridges you two and allows you to give your target your spells, so for every casting you preform you are unable to use 1 4th level spell slot.

A313

heighten spell increases the effective level of the spell as well as the level required to cast it and since the spell states you cannot prepare a spell to replace it at 4th level i believe it would accommodate it being cast at 5th.

Kaww
2010-11-25, 08:53 AM
Q314

Dragonborn, with a breath weapon, when polymorphed into a 12 headed hydra gets one breath attack or 12?

sreservoir
2010-11-25, 09:14 AM
A3078

Cleric knows all spells from his spell list. Plus his chosen domain's domain spells. All of which are considered divine.

Q 315

Spells Gained at a New Level: Characters who can cast divine spells undertake a certain amount of study between adventures. Each time such a character receives a new level of divine spells, he or she learns new spells from that level automatically.

Does this mean that the character knows only spells from levels it can cast? Or is it just saying "divine casters can prepare any spell on their list if they have an appropriate spell slot"?

Adrayll
2010-11-25, 09:29 AM
Q315

Would a Hexblade/Paladin get the benefit of both Arcane Resistance AND Divine Grace for a total bonus to saves of 2*Charisma Bonus? My interpretation is that they are both untyped bonuses from diametrically different sources.

sreservoir
2010-11-25, 09:37 AM
Q315

Would a Hexblade/Paladin get the benefit of both Arcane Resistance AND Divine Grace for a total bonus to saves of 2*Charisma Bonus? My interpretation is that they are both untyped bonuses from diametrically different sources.

No. You lost your paladin abilities when you became a hexblade; or you lost your paladin abilities when you became a paladin. Any nongood and Lawful Good are mutually exclusive.

But aside from that, yes.

Kaww
2010-11-25, 09:50 AM
Q 315

a)Does this mean that the character knows only spells from levels it can cast?
b) Or is it just saying "divine casters can prepare any spell on their list if they have an appropriate spell slot"?

A315

a)Yes
b)No, your spells known are up to the maximum level you may cast.

EDIT: Next Q is # 317?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-25, 10:36 AM
A 314 One

Breath weapons are not qualities gained from Polymorph, which will grant you the 12 natural attacks of the Twelve-Headed Hydra. While having no head would preclude any breath weapon attacks, having more heads will not grant extra.

Lateral
2010-11-25, 10:47 AM
Q 316

Are there any ways to get a size increase that does any or all of the following:
A- stacks with Enlarge Person, B- either can be used as a non-standard action or lasts at least an hour, C- has an at least 3/day limit (or equivalent).

Curmudgeon
2010-11-25, 11:00 AM
A 316 partial

A template that increases your size will establish a larger baseline on which Enlarge Person (if the result is humanoid) can grow. Half-Ogre and Half-Minotaur templates (Dragon # 313) will increase the size of a Small or Medium humanoid base race and still allow for Enlarge Person to work.

cd4
2010-11-25, 12:39 PM
Q317

If I have a ring of continuous enlarge person, and someone casts reduce person on me what happens next?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-25, 01:17 PM
A 317 You shrink.
Reduce person counters and dispels enlarge person.

cd4
2010-11-25, 01:31 PM
QA317 problem

The problem is the ring is a continuous ring so when does it restore me?

Kaww
2010-11-25, 01:42 PM
AQA317 problem

After the duration of reduce person.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-25, 03:01 PM
Re: AQA317 problem

Spells with Opposite Effects

Spells with opposite effects apply normally, with all bonuses, penalties, or changes accruing in the order that they apply. Some spells negate or counter each other. This is a special effect that is noted in a spell’s description. Kaww is correct. The effect of the ring remains countered until Reduce Person expires, is dismissed, or is countered itself. As a continuous effect item the ring cannot normally be negated (excepting higher-level magic such as Mordenkainen's Disjunction).

Just for completeness, I'll also note the possibility for the caster of Reduce Person to also cast Permanency on that spell, thus suppressing the ring's effect indefinitely.

Devmaar
2010-11-25, 03:39 PM
Q318

Is there a psionic version of the Persist Spell metamagic?

sreservoir
2010-11-25, 05:54 PM
Re: AQA317 problem
Kaww is correct. The effect of the ring remains countered until Reduce Person expires, is dismissed, or is countered itself. As a continuous effect item the ring cannot normally be negated (excepting higher-level magic such as Mordenkainen's Disjunction).

Just for completeness, I'll also note the possibility for the caster of Reduce Person to also cast Permanency on that spell, thus suppressing the ring's effect indefinitely.

Q 319

So if you wore the ring, and took a permanent reduce person, then removed the ring and put it back on, would you grow back?

bokodasu
2010-11-25, 06:12 PM
Q320

For the purposes of creating magic wondrous items, are two different spells "similar abilities" (spell-like function?) or "different abilities"?

Claudius Maximus
2010-11-25, 06:44 PM
Q318

Is there a psionic version of the Persist Spell metamagic?

A 318

Yes. Persistent Power in the 3.0 Psionics Handbook. In my experience, whether or not this is still legal by default in a 3.5 game has been a matter of debate, since some say its omission in the XPH indicates that it has been dropped.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-25, 08:26 PM
A 319 No.

Rather, when you took off the ring you would shrink again (to one size smaller than your original size), as Reduce Person would no longer be countering the Enlarge Person effect of the ring.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-25, 08:30 PM
A 320

Two different spells are not similar, and thus the magic item pricing should reflect that difference.

Thurbane
2010-11-26, 02:45 AM
Q 321

Would a human who had class levels in the Human Paragon Class, then took 10 levels of Dragon Disciple (gaining the 1/2 Dragon template) still qualify as human for taking further levels of the paragon class? Would he retain the (Human) subtype?

Kaww
2010-11-26, 02:54 AM
A321

Half-Dragon template changes your type to dragon. You are no longer humanoid (human). Thus you don't meet the requirements.

Thurbane
2010-11-26, 03:04 AM
A321

Half-Dragon template changes your type to dragon. You are no longer humanoid (human). Thus you don't meet the requirements.
A 321 continued

Just for clarification, where exactly in the Racial Paragon section does it say your type needs to match? And also, would you now be Dragon (Human), or would you lose the human subtype?

Kaww
2010-11-26, 03:15 AM
A 321 continued

Just for clarification, where exactly in the Racial Paragon section does it say your type needs to match? And also, would you now be Dragon (Human), or would you lose the human subtype?

Page 146. Monster Manual 1. You have an example of a Half-Dragon Human. Read the type/subtype entry, it will answer your question.

Thurbane
2010-11-26, 03:19 AM
Dragon (Augmented Humanoid). Got it. :smallwink:

Kumori
2010-11-26, 03:41 AM
Q 322
I was just reading some of the more recent questions and had an interesting thought based on the enlarge/reduce person line of questioning there.

What would happen if a person was affected by a permanent version of both Enlarge Person and Reduce Person? Would this person then be immune to enlarge and reduce effects?

Kaww
2010-11-26, 03:43 AM
A322

Yes, technically both spells are in effect thus other castings would have no effect, since they don't stack.

Black_Zawisza
2010-11-26, 08:33 PM
Q323

Can someone give me a detailed description of the feat Imperious Command (from Drow of the Underdark)? In particular, I'd like to know the range of its effect. I've already looked it up in the List of Stuff thread and all over the internet without any luck.

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-26, 09:27 PM
A 323

I don't think that information is legal to post here, since Drow of the Underdark is not Open Game Content.

Runestar
2010-11-26, 10:01 PM
Q323

Can someone give me a detailed description of the feat Imperious Command (from Drow of the Underdark)? In particular, I'd like to know the range of its effect. I've already looked it up in the List of Stuff thread and all over the internet without any luck.

Imperious command works off intimidate. So the range is the same as demoralize.

Obahai
2010-11-27, 07:04 PM
Q 324

Is there a magical weapon enhancement that adds an additional +2d6 to sneak attack?

Runestar
2010-11-27, 08:03 PM
Q 324

Is there a magical weapon enhancement that adds an additional +2d6 to sneak attack?

I only know of deadly precision, a +1 weapon property from MIC which adds +1d6 to your sneak attack.

Lateral
2010-11-27, 09:11 PM
Q 325

Is there a class, ACF, feat, etc. like a Bard that switches Bardic Music and related abilities for something else? Preferably something sneaky and/or not-suckish.

Jack_Simth
2010-11-27, 09:17 PM
Q 325

Is there a class, ACF, feat, etc. like a Bard that switches Bardic Music and related abilities for something else? Preferably something sneaky and/or not-suckish.

A 325: Try the Factotum, from Dungeonscape, on for size, although this is probably not quite the right area for such a discussion.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-28, 04:38 AM
A 325

I know of no complete substitution for Bardic Music. There are a couple of ACFs that diminish Bardic Music in return for other capabilities.

Bardic Sage (Unearthed Arcana, page 49): Adds additional spells and bonus to Bardic Knowledge in exchange for reduced duration of Bardic Music effects.

Deadly Knowledge (Drow of the Underdark, page 57): Gain poison use, and in trade lose Bardic Knowledge and 1 Bardic Music use/day.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-11-28, 11:45 AM
Q 325

A 325 you could try here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872054/Alternative_Class_Features_III). Looks like there's something from unearthed arcana that might help.Oops, failed my spot on the answer above.:smallredface:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q 326 Okay, this a bit involved. Part one. The SRD says
Down SpeedA flying creature can fly down at twice its normal flying speed.; does that mean that a creature can fly straight down at twice its fly speed or that any angle of decent allows for double fly speed?

Part two. You can move up to double your speed on a charge. If the answer to the above is that you can double your fly speed so long as you are decending at any angle, does that mean that I can move quadruple my fly speed if I charge while flying?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-28, 01:08 PM
A 326

That means only the downward part of your flight is at double speed. If straight down that means double your maximum horizontal rate. If at a shallow down angle, that would result in very little total speed increase.

Thurbane
2010-11-28, 10:44 PM
Q 327

Maybe a stupid question, but when a character becomes a Dragonborn, does he lose natural attacks? I think by RAW he would, but it just seems...weird. It's not like claws fall off or teeth fallout out. :smalleek:

Runestar
2010-11-29, 02:12 AM
Q 327

Maybe a stupid question, but when a character becomes a Dragonborn, does he lose natural attacks? I think by RAW he would, but it just seems...weird. It's not like claws fall off or teeth fallout out. :smalleek:

According to the FAQ, yes. The question mentions a dragonborn warforged losing its slam attack.

He’d also retain all traits derived from the living construct subtype, including immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain; inability to heal damage naturally; vulnerability to certain metal- or wood-affecting spells; and half effect from healing spells. He’d still become inert at –1 to –9 hp, and he still wouldn’t need to eat, sleep, or breathe.

However, he would lose his composite plating, light fortification, and slam attack.

Urpriest
2010-11-29, 02:07 PM
Q328

Does the power Metaphysical Claw work with natural attacks in general (for example, unarmed strikes), or does it only work for claws and bites?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-29, 02:42 PM
A 328

Just claws and bites, as explained in the power's description.

hydraa
2010-11-29, 05:29 PM
Q 329 Can UMD emulate any of the following requirements.

Subtypes:
Demon
Devil
Fiend
Undead
Archon
Celestial
Eladrin
Guardinal

Ability costs: {avoid having to pay the cost}
Sacrifice
Corrupt

Components:
Disease (infected with)
Drug (under influence of)
Soul (Have possesion in receptacle)

Other
Abstinence (free from one of various vices)
Location (Cast at a specified generic or specific location)

I am looking specifically at the spell Faux Human from "The Standing Stone" adventure. It states a very specific location for it to be cast.
Most of the others are BoED and BoVD