PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XV

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Curmudgeon
2010-11-29, 05:44 PM
A 329

Use Magic Device can emulate any race, which will handle the subtype problem. None of the other matters lie within the skill's abilities, however.

Thurbane
2010-11-29, 06:13 PM
Q 330 A

Dragon Disciple lists as a req - "Race: Any nondragon (cannot already be a half-dragon).". Would a creature with the Dragonblood subtype be able to enter the PrC (assuming it doesn't have the Dragon type)?

Q 330 B

Same question, but with the Dragon Devotee PrC - "Race: Nondragon, can’t have draconic template.".

Curmudgeon
2010-11-29, 06:29 PM
A 330

Yes to both.

Rasman
2010-11-29, 08:47 PM
Q 331
Can a Spellwarp Sniper Spellwarp the spell Prismatic Spray so that ONE target is hit by ALL effects?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-30, 02:13 AM
A 331 No.

Spellwarp allows a Spellwarp Sniper to change an area effect into a ray, but limited to spells of the Spellwarp Sniper's level or less. Since Spellwarp Sniper is a 5-level prestige class, a 7th-level spell like Prismatic Spray can never be affected.

Rasman
2010-11-30, 05:13 AM
A 331 No.

Spellwarp allows a Spellwarp Sniper to change an area effect into a ray, but limited to spells of the Spellwarp Sniper's level or less. Since Spellwap Sniper is a 5-level prestige class, a 7th-level spell like Prismatic Spray can never be affected.

Q331 cont. what if I were to find a way to lower the level of the spell two levels lower? Theoretically speaking of course, since I'm not sure it would otherwise be possible.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-30, 06:34 AM
Re: Q 331 cont.

The answer would depend on the particulars of the adjusted spell. If nothing else changed, it would be a DM's call in how they interpret the Spellwarp ability.
The spell’s level, components, range, and damage (if any) remain unchanged. The obvious consideration is that the damage of Prismatic Spray is dependent on random selection, with the damage to a particular target just a fraction thereof (approximately 1/# of creatures present). If Spellwarp does not change the damage, it's up to the DM as to how they reconcile this.

powerdemon
2010-11-30, 09:17 AM
Q 332
Could a war weaver with divine spells cast them through their weave?

Curmudgeon
2010-11-30, 10:03 AM
A 332 Yes.

While Eldritch Tapestry is designed to benefit an arcane spellcaster (and the number of allies affected is determined solely by your arcane spellcasting ability), this class feature isn't restricted in the type of spells shared.

powerdemon
2010-11-30, 10:22 AM
Thank you.

Strife Warzeal
2010-11-30, 10:51 AM
Q 333
What are the components(modifiers) involved when making a grapple check roll?

Gnaritas
2010-11-30, 10:55 AM
A333

You sure went to alot of trouble before asking this here, right?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple

Koury
2010-11-30, 02:24 PM
You sure went to alot of trouble before asking this here, right?

That seems a little unfair. This is a thread for simple questions. That was a simple question. I'm not seeing the need to deride him for asking.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-30, 02:55 PM
Q334

Which Cleric Domains grant Wish as a spell?

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-11-30, 03:08 PM
A 334

None, as far as I can tell... The best I can find is the Spell domain, from Player's Guide to Faerun(91) which gives Limited Wish.

Facepalm... I always forget about Spell Compendium.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-30, 03:14 PM
A 334

Envy domain (Spell Compendium, pages 273-274) grants Wish.

Claudius Maximus
2010-11-30, 03:22 PM
A 334

The Envy Domain from Spell Compendium grants both Wish and Limited Wish.

Ninja'd by a depressingly large margin.

OMG PONIES
2010-11-30, 04:22 PM
Q335: In regards to attempting to spellwarp higher-level spells, would a spellwarp sniper who had taken all 5 levels of the class be able to take a prestige class (such as Uncanny Trickster or whatever it's called) that advances class features in order to spellwarp higher-level spells?

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-11-30, 04:23 PM
Q 335

What are the classes/prestige classes that involve DANCE of any kind and what books do they appear in (3.5 only)?

Off the top of my head I can think of dervish and something that was called shadowdancer I believe, but I'm not sure what books they were in and wonder if there are more.

Thurbane
2010-11-30, 04:54 PM
A 336 partial

Cloaked Dancer (CS)
Dervish (CW)
Shadow Dancer (DMG)

...a Binder bound to Paimon gets the Dance of Death ability.

OMG PONIES
2010-11-30, 05:10 PM
A336 partial
The Battle Dancer from Dragon Compendium is a base class that uses Tumble checks fluffed as various dances.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-30, 07:00 PM
Q335: In regards to attempting to spellwarp higher-level spells, would a spellwarp sniper who had taken all 5 levels of the class be able to take a prestige class (such as Uncanny Trickster or whatever it's called) that advances class features in order to spellwarp higher-level spells?
A 335 (first instance) No.

From Dungeon Master's Guide, page 206:
You cannot advance the class level of a class with fewer than ten levels beyond the maximum described for that class, regardless of the character level of the advancing character. Spellwarp Sniper is a 5-level prestige class and thus its class features cannot be extended, even by Uncanny Trickster.

Thurbane
2010-11-30, 07:20 PM
Q 337

I have recently read on the forums that there is a feat that allows a character to exceed the cap on max skill ranks (by 1?). What is this feat, and where can I find it?

Claudius Maximus
2010-11-30, 07:33 PM
A 336 Partial

Spelldancer from Magic of Faerun.
Bards have some uses for Perform (Dance), particularly the Snowflake Wardance feat.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-30, 07:43 PM
A 337

The feat is Primary Contact, in Cityscape on page 61. It requires the feat Favored (also in Cityscape) as a prerequisite.

Edit: Do note that this pair of feats will let you exceed the skill rank cap, by 1 rank, for only a single skill. Also a strict reading of Primary Contact doesn't make this an ongoing benefit: you get the bonus rank at the time you take the feat but the cap on your next level would remain unaffected, and thus this (max rank + 1) boost would last for but a single level.

mikethepoor
2010-11-30, 09:58 PM
Q338

Many psionic feats require a psionic character to expend their psionic focus in order to use them (metapsionic feats, Inquisitor, etc). Can the same psionic focus be expended to use multiple such feats simultaneously, or can a focus be expended on only one feat at a time?

Thurbane
2010-11-30, 10:11 PM
A 337

Edit: Do note that this pair of feats will let you exceed the skill rank cap, by 1 rank, for only a single skill. Also a strict reading of Primary Contact doesn't make this an ongoing benefit: you get the bonus rank at the time you take the feat but the cap on your next level would remain unaffected, and thus this (max rank + 1) boost would last for but a single level.
Thanks for clarifying that - it was going to be my next question. :smallwink:

Baldin
2010-12-01, 08:45 AM
Q 339

I have been looking for this answer for a long time:

What does apply to a critical hit (3,5 rules)

the question includes
+x enchantements
power attack
weapon focus
smite
etc
etc

all things that add flat dmg i wonder if they do or do not multiply.

thanks in advance

cheers
baldin

Curmudgeon
2010-12-01, 08:55 AM
A 339
Multiplying Damage

Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are never multiplied. Other than the weapon damage proper, all damage expressed in dice does not get multiplied (rolled multiple times). Damage not expressed in dice does get multiplied by the critical factor.

Baldin
2010-12-01, 09:17 AM
Curmudgeon thanks for the answer however i have 1 more

The spellcompendium has the spell Rhino Rush if i would attack some1 while having divine sacrifice active, does all dmg multiply?

Rhino rush (doubles the dmg on ur next attack after charge)
Divine sacrifice (paying 10hp to deal 5d6 extra dmg)

this would mean that (same example) with a longsword i would deal 1d8+5d6 +2 dmg and multiply this all by 2?

OMG PONIES
2010-12-01, 10:05 AM
A 339 (ongoing)

As per the quote Curmudgeon provided, it seems that you would use the same rules for Rhino's Rush, thus dealing 2d8+5d6+4 damage.

bokodasu
2010-12-01, 12:18 PM
Q340

Where are the rules about researching new spells? (How long it takes/how much it costs, not the ones about how to determine the level of a new spell, which is all I can find at the moment.)

bokodasu
2010-12-01, 06:22 PM
A 340

Oh, there they are in the back of the DMG. Why those rules aren't together I'll never know.

Q 341

Somewhere there's an item that causes a tree to fruit and then die - fruit spikes or something? Anyone know what that item is and what book it's in?

Mordrigar
2010-12-01, 07:33 PM
Q: 342 Are there any spells that boosts initiative other than "Nerveskitter"? I'm asking for DnD 3.5.

Feliks878
2010-12-01, 08:43 PM
Q: 343 Where in the SRD or in what book does it list the magic items slots available to creatures of a NON-humanoid shape, similiar to how those for a Humanoid shape are listed here? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody)

Edit: Example: What magic items, if any, can a Paladin give his Heavy Warhorse, or a Druid to their Wolf.

Urpriest
2010-12-01, 09:02 PM
A 343 Partial: Draconomicon lists slots for dragons. Lords of Madness lists them for Aboleths, Beholders, Grell, and Tsochari.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-01, 09:51 PM
A 342

Sign (Spell Compendium, page 189).

Tar Palantir
2010-12-01, 10:36 PM
Q344 Can a non-epic character make use of the epic uses of various skills (assuming he meets the appropriate DC)?

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-01, 11:12 PM
A 344

Yes. (Can’t seem to find the appropriate citation…)

Curmudgeon
2010-12-01, 11:40 PM
A 344

Yes. (Can’t seem to find the appropriate citation…)
There's not much to find. From Epic Level Handbook, page 37:
EPIC SKILLS

Skill checks work just as they always have: Roll 1d20 and add your skill modifier. In other words, there are no Epic-only skill rules.

Runestar
2010-12-01, 11:43 PM
Q345) If I have a +5 defending weapon and transfer +5 enhancement bonus to get +5AC, do I still benefit from the +1 enhancement bonus to-hit from the weapon being masterwork?

IE: Do I get +5AC and +0 to-hit or +5AC and +1 to-hit? :smallsmile:

Curmudgeon
2010-12-02, 12:22 AM
A 345

The weapon remains masterwork, so you still get the MW +1 to hit.

Silva Stormrage
2010-12-02, 01:27 AM
Q 346

How do undead casters regain spells? They don't sleep, they just "rest". What qualifies as rest for undead? Can they move around, talk, write?

Defiant
2010-12-02, 01:32 AM
A 346

To prepare her daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but she must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period.

This is what qualifies as "rest" for all casters.

Balor01
2010-12-02, 06:15 AM
Q 347

Are there any rule obstacles to creating permanent Antimagic field or an item that creates permanent AMF?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-02, 07:36 AM
A 347

There are obstacles to both. Firstly, Antimagic Field isn't on the list of spells that can be made permanent with Permanency, so just firing off a couple of spells won't work. Secondly, the cost of an item to do the job is undetermined (but would be very high). The basic rule for pricing new items is to use similar existing items as a guideline. The only item I know of that maintains a continuous Antimagic Field effect is the Antimagic Shackles (Book of Exalted Deeds, page 116), which cost 132,000 gp. The effect of the Shackles extends only 5' though, which is just 1/8th the volume affected by the Antimagic Field spell that you're trying to replicate. Ultimately the cost of such a custom item, and therefor the time required to craft it, would be up to your individual DM's judgment.

Kaww
2010-12-03, 02:53 AM
Q348

If a druid while wildshaped has barding and then reverts back to humanoid form what happens with the barding? Does it meld with the druid or is the druid now wearing a funny set of armor?

bokodasu
2010-12-03, 07:31 AM
A348

It falls off.

Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm)

Stegyre
2010-12-03, 10:57 AM
Q 349
Is there any RAW obstacle to using DMM(Heighten) and permanently sacrificing a spell slot of level N plus 9-N+1 turn undead attempts to power an Innate Spell (CArcane)?

(N.B.: that would be sacrificing the number of turn undead attempts necessary to raise a spell to 9th level.)

Q 350
How does Heighten Spell work with metamagic cost reducers, anyway? I understand that it doesn't have a set cost (for obvious reasons), but it seems to me that if I have (for example) Heighten Spell and Arcane Thesis (Some Spell), I should be able to heighten Some Spell one level for "free" (i.e., if it's a 2nd level spell, I cast it from a 2nd level slot but it is treated in all respects as a 3rd level spell). Or am I missing something? :smallconfused:

Douglas
2010-12-03, 11:30 AM
A349

Yes. Innate Spell requires you to sacrifice a spell slot of the appropriate level. Heighten Spell affects the level of the spell.

Also, Heighten can't go beyond 9th level so even if this did work it wouldn't let you use Innate Spell on spells higher than 1st level.

A350

Most metamagic reducers specifically don't work with Heighten Spell. There might be some exceptions, but Arcane Thesis isn't one of them.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-03, 11:38 AM
A 349

Yes, there are RAW obstacles. Innate Spell can only be used if you have a spell slot 8 levels higher than the spell to be converted to a spell-like ability. That means you must actually have such a spell slot (i.e., your class features table must show a numeric value at that spell level for your current class level, or you must have enough instances of Improved Spell Capacity [Epic] (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedSpellCapacity) feat to acquire the necessary spell slot).

As for the attempt at getting a permanent boost to your SLA's saving throw DC for a one-time expenditure of turn undead attempts, that's up to your DM's judgment in interpreting the heightened part of Innate Spell:
Choose any spell you can cast. You can now cast this spell at will as a spell-like ability once per round. You're only able to cast the spell with heightened spell level when it's prepared with Divine Metamagic, and some DMs could see that as making your Innate Spell ability only useful the day you gain it and never thereafter.

A 350

This one is also subject to DM interpretation depending on the particulars of the metamagic cost reducer. For instance, you're attempting to use Divine Metamagic, which keeps your spell slot level unchanged, in concert with Heighten Spell, the sole purpose of which is to boost the level of a spell. Depending on your individual DM this might work as you hope, or have no effect at all. Arcane Thesis and Heighten Spell have a definitive answer, however: the Players Handbook II Errata disallow that combination.

Stegyre
2010-12-03, 12:25 PM
Q 349 (Additional)
To be clear, it is a given that even if this trick works, it can only be done for a 1st level spell (specifically due to Heighten Spell's limit of 9th level, as noted). Also, we are not talking about a temporary sacrifice of turn undead attempts: inasmuch as Innate Spell requires the permanent sacrifice of a spell slot, if turn attempts are being used (via DMM (Heighten)) to create the spell slot, I take it as a given that those turn attempts are also permanently sacrificed.

I also take it as a given that using DMM(H) in this way does not boost the SLA's DC or SL. Innate Spell is pretty explicit that one gives up a 9th level slot for 1st level SLA.

Perhaps neither of these clarifications make much difference, as it sounds like the consensus is that DMM(H) does not create a "slot" available for sacrifice.

Q 350 Additional
This question is actually intended to be distinct from Q 349. Thanks for the errata reference. That's pretty specific: "any metamagic feats other than Heighten Spell."

Curmudgeon
2010-12-03, 01:09 PM
Q 349 (Additional)
I take it as a given that those turn attempts are also permanently sacrificed.
The problem here is that there's no actual mechanism inherent in any of these feats to permanently sacrifice undead turn attempts, which are independently renewed daily.

Douglas
2010-12-03, 01:18 PM
Perhaps neither of these clarifications make much difference, as it sounds like the consensus is that DMM(H) does not create a "slot" available for sacrifice.
Neither clarification makes any difference at all, as Innate Spell requires something from the input side of spellcasting while Heighten Spell only modifies the output side. Innate Spell requires a spell slot, and no amount of shenanigans with Heighten Spell are going to get you that. Shenanigans with Extra Slot, on the other hand, particularly in combination with Heighten Spell and alternative cost mechanisms, might do the trick.

Stegyre
2010-12-03, 01:19 PM
The problem here is that there's no actual mechanism inherent in any of these feats to permanently sacrifice undead turn attempts, which are independently renewed daily.
Yeah, that's understood. As I see it, it's a viable bargaining position for homebrewing it with a DM, but it's not RAW.

It was worth the question.

EDIT:
Shenanigans with Extra Slot, on the other hand, particularly in combination with Heighten Spell and alternative cost mechanisms, might do the trick.
I assume you mean DMM(Heighten) a spell to 9th level, take Extra Slot and (relying on the presence of the 9th level spell), get an 8th level slot? That would allow you to get an innate 0-level spell, but my cholesterol level just jumped a hundred points! :smalltongue:

It's ironic -- but I know, this is often the nature of RAW -- that this trick is quite arguably RAW, but actually costs less than my proposal: using my mechanic, it would cost eight turnings (two feats) and a 1st level slot to make a 0-level spell innate; using this other, it costs one feat (Extra Slot) and a one-time use of DMM(Heighten). Ah, such is life.

Waitaminit: Q 351 by RAW, won't that alternative strategy require the character to continue to maintain the DMM(Heightened) spell in order to maintain his shiny new Extra Slot slot? When you lose the prerequisite for a feat, you also lose the ability to use that feat, no?

Koury
2010-12-03, 03:05 PM
Q352

Do Shadow Hand teleporting maneuvers allow you to escape a grapple?

Stegyre
2010-12-03, 03:18 PM
A 352
Open to interpretation. Using any maneuver requires that you be able to move. The question is, how much movement? If you're paralyzed or capable of only mental actions, you almost certainly can't use any maneuvers (by RAW, not even the Diamond Mind concentration-dependent save manuevers; which is a little strange, imo).

If you're grappled but not pinned, entangled but still capable of taking standard actions . . . if I DMed it, I'd say yes you can still use maneuvers.

Grappled and pinned, I'd rule that you were too restrained to use a maneuver.

FWIW

Douglas
2010-12-03, 03:21 PM
Waitaminit: Q 351 by RAW, won't that alternative strategy require the character to continue to maintain the DMM(Heightened) spell in order to maintain his shiny new Extra Slot slot? When you lose the prerequisite for a feat, you also lose the ability to use that feat, no?
Using up your turn attempts would not disqualify you for Extra Slot any more than casting all of your 2nd level spells for the day would disqualify you from taking a PrC that requires the ability to cast level 2 spells. The requirement for Extra Slot remains satisfied as long as you retain the ability to, when you are fully rested, cast a spell from your own resources that counts as 9th level.

Oh, and if you add Sanctum Spell you can boost it one more level. Earth Spell works for that too IIRC.

Think of it this way, a prerequisite of the form "ability to do X" is satisfied if the following hypothetical scenario is possible:
Prerequisite Auditor: Sir, I see that part of your character build has a prerequisite that is normally not possible to satisfy at your level. I must insist that you demonstrate your eligibility.
Cheesy Character: Sure thing, Auditor! Will <insert date and time> do for the demonstration?
PA: That time slot is available, yes. You will have to use only the equipment you currently have, you must not change your build in the interim, and assistance from other characters is not permitted. See you then.
*Some time later*
CC: See? I just did it!

Fitz10019
2010-12-03, 03:57 PM
Q353
If a medium creature with a normal base landspeed of 30ft wears halfplate and Boots of Striding and Springing (+10ft to base landspeed), what is his landspeed?

Kaww
2010-12-03, 04:18 PM
A353

Speed is 30ft reduced to 20ft plus 10 ft equals 30ft.

OMG PONIES
2010-12-03, 04:25 PM
A353

Speed is 30ft reduced to 20ft plus 10 ft equals 30ft.

A353 contention

But is it that simple? According to the question, the boots add to your base speed. Therefore, your base speed is 40 ft, and the armor table only has columns for creatures with a base speed of 20 or 30 feet.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-03, 04:31 PM
A 353 (with correction note)

Factor in all adjustments to base speed, then reduce that figure due to medium or heavier encumbrance using Armor and Encumbrance table in Dungeon Master's Guide, page 20. (As a shorthand, you can also figure .69 x base speed, rounded to the nearest 5', to save the effort of consulting the table.)

Note that Kaww's answer of 30' happens to be correct despite not being computed in the right order. (If the character had started with a base speed of 40' or faster Kaww's order of computation would yield the wrong answer.)

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-12-03, 04:48 PM
Q354: How many spiders is in a spider swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm#spiderSwarm)? I Need for hivemind rules...

Coidzor
2010-12-03, 04:58 PM
A 354: Spiders are diminutive, nonflying creatures. So there are 1,500 spiders in an individual swarm based on the subtype's provisions.

Swarm Subtype

A swarm is a collection of Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creatures that acts as a single creature. A swarm has the characteristics of its type, except as noted here. A swarm has a single pool of Hit Dice and hit points, a single initiative modifier, a single speed, and a single Armor Class. A swarm makes saving throws as a single creature. A single swarm occupies a square (if it is made up of nonflying creatures) or a cube (of flying creatures) 10 feet on a side, but its reach is 0 feet, like its component creatures. In order to attack, it moves into an opponent’s space, which provokes an attack of opportunity. It can occupy the same space as a creature of any size, since it crawls all over its prey. A swarm can move through squares occupied by enemies and vice versa without impediment, although the swarm provokes an attack of opportunity if it does so. A swarm can move through cracks or holes large enough for its component creatures.

A swarm of Tiny creatures consists of 300 nonflying creatures or 1,000 flying creatures. A swarm of Diminutive creatures consists of 1,500 nonflying creatures or 5,000 flying creatures. A swarm of Fine creatures consists of 10,000 creatures, whether they are flying or not. Swarms of nonflying creatures include many more creatures than could normally fit in a 10-foot square based on their normal space, because creatures in a swarm are packed tightly together and generally crawl over each other and their prey when moving or attacking. Larger swarms are represented by multiples of single swarms. The area occupied by a large swarm is completely shapeable, though the swarm usually remains in contiguous squares.

Q355: Is there a template which causes a creature to increase its size category by one, basically the opposite of the dungeonbred template and that isn't either half ogre or half minotaur?

OMG PONIES
2010-12-03, 05:21 PM
A 353 (with correction note)

Factor in all adjustments to base speed, then reduce that figure due to medium or heavier encumbrance using Armor and Encumbrance table in Dungeon Master's Guide, page 20. (As a shorthand, you can also figure .69 x base speed, rounded to the nearest 5', to save the effort of consulting the table.)

Note that Kaww's answer of 30' happens to be correct despite not being computed in the right order. (If the character had started with a base speed of 40' or faster Kaww's order of computation would yield the wrong answer.)

A353 (minor correction): Thanks for the reference, Curmudgeon! I couldn't find that for the life of me. As a minor correction, if the character's base land speed was more than 40' Kaww would have been incorrect.

hydraa
2010-12-03, 05:42 PM
Q 356 What methods are there to permamently increase base ability scores <Not via bonus>.
I know of:
once every four character levels
aging effects
Applying a template

{an inherent bonus is sort of in between since it appears to be a permament bonus}

Q 357 What other sources of inherent bonus are there
I know of:
The various magical tomes and manuals
Mottlegrasp’s Orchard
ARTIFACTS:
Deck of Many Things
Book of Exalted Deeds
Book of Vile Darkness

Curmudgeon
2010-12-03, 06:10 PM
A353 (minor correction):As a minor correction, if the character's base land speed was more than 40' Kaww would have been incorrect.
The answer would also have been wrong at 40' base speed. Add +10' from the Boots of Striding and Springing and the corresponding reduced speed from the table is 35'. Using Kaww's order the reduced speed from the 40' base would be 30', which would then be boosted by +10' to 40' ─ an incorrect (too high) computed encumbered speed.

bokodasu
2010-12-03, 06:12 PM
Q357

Does a monk's bonus to AC stack with Bracers of Armor?

Aresx
2010-12-03, 06:17 PM
Q: 359
In player's guide to faerun on page 63 there is a feat of prestige class Incantatrix "Improved Metamagic" which reduces metamagic feat costs by 1, but it says it cant be lowered than 1. It is ok for that but i have a disagreement with my dm. Couldnt metamagic feats be lowered to 0 by other feats like "Arcane Thesis(PHBII page 74)" or "Easy Metamagic(Dragon Magazine #325 page 62)? Because there is nothing on these feats that says it cant be reduced to 0, even negative! I gave up for negative but at least i guess reducing 0 could be possible.
P.s: My Dm says he wont accept a random answer, he wants references. (which means either the answer comes from a writer of the books or it writes in a book)
Thanks for reading, if you can answer i would appreciate that a lot.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-03, 06:19 PM
Q357

Does a monk's bonus to AC stack with Bracers of Armor?

A 358

Yes. The monk's AC bonus is untyped, and the bracers provide an armor bonus (which is typed). Untyped bonuses stack with everything unless they come from the same source, which is not the case here.

The rule in question:

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus and worst penalty applies. Dodge bonuses and circumstance bonuses however, do stack with one another unless otherwise specified.

Also of note, Bracers of Armor do not count as worn armor for purposes of a monk's abilities, so you would still get the monk AC bonus and could still flurry, etc with the bracers on.

Zherog
2010-12-03, 06:22 PM
I know of:
Mottlegrasp’s Orchard
ARTIFACTS:
Deck of Many Things
Book of Exalted Deeds
Book of Vile Darkness

A 357 Partial

You sort of covered by mentioning tomes/manuals, but a wish spell gives an inherent bonus.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-03, 06:26 PM
Q 356 What methods are there to permamently increase base ability scores <Not via bonus>.
I know of:
once every four character levels
aging effects
Applying a template

{an inherent bonus is sort of in between since it appears to be a permament bonus}

I know of:
Mottlegrasp’s Orchard
ARTIFACTS:
Deck of Many Things
Book of Exalted Deeds
Book of Vile Darkness

A 357 Partial

There are several Silthilar Grafts from Lords of Madness that grant untyped permanent bonuses.

Douglas
2010-12-03, 06:52 PM
Q: 359
In player's guide to faerun on page 63 there is a feat of prestige class Incantatrix "Improved Metamagic" which reduces metamagic feat costs by 1, but it says it cant be lowered than 1. It is ok for that but i have a disagreement with my dm. Couldnt metamagic feats be lowered to 0 by other feats like "Arcane Thesis(PHBII page 74)" or "Easy Metamagic(Dragon Magazine #325 page 62)? Because there is nothing on these feats that says it cant be reduced to 0, even negative! I gave up for negative but at least i guess reducing 0 could be possible.
P.s: My Dm says he wont accept a random answer, he wants references. (which means either the answer comes from a writer of the books or it writes in a book)
Thanks for reading, if you can answer i would appreciate that a lot.
From PHB2 errata:

Page 74 – Arcane Thesis [Omission]
Add the following text to the end of the “Benefit”
section: “A spell cannot be reduced to below its
original level with the use of this feat.”

While this doesn't quite directly state that it can reduce metamagic cost to 0, the limit it does give pretty strongly implies it. If the feat can't reduce any metamagic's cost below 1 then what would be the point of saying it can't make the total cost negative?

As for Easy Metamagic, it actually does have a "minimum 1" clause.

bokodasu
2010-12-03, 07:57 PM
Q360 (I think)

Can you cast Magic Fang on more than one natural weapon of one subject at the same time? (For example, cast it once on a bite and a second time on a claw, giving the subject 2 +1 weapons?)

Curmudgeon
2010-12-03, 08:00 PM
A 360 Yes.

Each individual natural weapon is an independent spell target for Magic Fang, so there's no conflict.

Lateral
2010-12-03, 09:43 PM
Q 361
Could I build a Dragoon/Mounted Charger build that uses a Griffon mount to jump and make a bunch of bites, claws, and rakes plus a Pouncing, Power-Attacked, Battle-Jumped Lance full attack?

soulsabre345
2010-12-04, 01:59 AM
Q362
on Island of Blades, if there's a setup as so:
N|X|X|N|N|N|N
N|X|F|F|N|N|X
N|N|F|F|A|E|N
N|N|N|O|P|O|N
N|N|N|O|O|O|N

F is a large enemy, E is a medium enemy, X is normal flanking position, P is in island of blades, A is a random ally who's positioned so as to activate island of blades on E and F. where do the other allies need to be to flank both enemies? At O, N, or any space?

Kaww
2010-12-04, 05:48 AM
A353 contention

But is it that simple? According to the question, the boots add to your base speed. Therefore, your base speed is 40 ft, and the armor table only has columns for creatures with a base speed of 20 or 30 feet.

A353 stand corrected

Failed to see the word BASE, otherwise you should be allowed to add bonuses in any order you see fit. Right?

Gnaritas
2010-12-04, 05:57 AM
A362
I am not really sure what your question is. But since P is adjacent to both large creature F and medium creature E, any ally that is adjacent to either F or E makes it so both P and that ally are flanking that creature.

In the picture beneath is P (island of blades guy) F and E (enemies).
The O's are flanking positions, because both P and themselves are adjacent to the same enemy. The 2's are flanking both creatures. The N's are not flanking.

N|X|X|O|O|N|N
N|X|F|F|2|O|X
N|O|F|F|2|E|O
N|O|O|O|P|O|O
N|N|N|N|N|N|N

Curmudgeon
2010-12-04, 06:40 AM
A353 stand corrected

Failed to see the word BASE, otherwise you should be allowed to add bonuses in any order you see fit. Right?
If the rules allowed an option that would be the case. Normally the encumbrance speed reduction is applied to your total unencumbered speed, though, after all other adjustments. You only get to exempt some component parts of your speed from the 31% encumbrance penalty if armor or weight can't affect them. That's why there are no armor speed reductions for winged flight, since armor doesn't restrict wing movement* the way it restricts leg movement; instead there are different encumbrance rules based on weight which completely rule out flight with more than a light load.

* I'm assuming normal armor, which does not cover wings. If wing-covering armor exists then that armor would also cause a speed reduction.

WarKitty
2010-12-04, 04:01 PM
Q363

The text of flaming sphere states:

If it enters a space with a creature, it stops moving for the round and deals 2d6 points of fire damage to that creature

How does this interact with a creature entering the space where a flaming sphere is currently located?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-04, 04:14 PM
A 363

There's no interaction. The spell does only what is stated in its description, so while the Flaming Sphere causes damage when it enters a creature's square following the caster's direction, it has no special effect when it's not being actively directed.

Defiant
2010-12-04, 06:40 PM

So does this mean that a creature entering a flaming sphere's square incurs no damage?

What about the flaming sphere itself? Can it move out of the square? It should, since technically it hasn't entered the square, it's just already there.

WarKitty
2010-12-04, 07:26 PM
Q364

If a PrC lists the ability to cast a specific spell as a prerequisite, does having that spell as a SLA qualify?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-04, 08:55 PM

So does this mean that a creature entering a flaming sphere's square incurs no damage?
Yes, that's what it means. It's the same as someone entering the square of a campfire to cook their meal, or if a Flaming Sphere entered a character's square but they made their Reflex save: the character shares the space with a fire, but isn't being burned.

What about the flaming sphere itself? Can it move out of the square? It should, since technically it hasn't entered the square, it's just already there.
Yes, it can move. Only creatures have general restrictions on sharing a space. Spells only have such restrictions if specified in that particular spell's description.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-04, 09:01 PM
A 364 Yes.

From Complete Arcane on page 72:
SPECIFIC SPELL REQUIREMENTS

A requirement based on a specific spell measures whether the character or creature in question is capable of producing the necessary effect, and as such, invocations and spell-like abilities that generate the relevant effect meet the requirements for specific spell knowledge.

powerdemon
2010-12-04, 11:33 PM
Q 365

Do undead register to Detect Magic?

soulsabre345
2010-12-05, 12:07 AM
Q 366

How does haste and spring attack interact? does haste let you make a second attack while spring attacking or if your spring attacking you can't get the extra attack benefit of haste?

Runestar
2010-12-05, 12:13 AM
Q 366

How does haste and spring attack interact? does haste let you make a second attack while spring attacking or if your spring attacking you can't get the extra attack benefit of haste?

You don't get an extra attack from haste while spring-attacking.

The extra attack applies only on a full-attack, which spring attack isn't.

Grynning
2010-12-05, 12:32 AM
Q 367: Rage Mage, from CW pg. 72. Can the Spell Rage ability be activated at the same time or during another rage or frenzy? The class description and the statement "A rage mage can cast spells while in a rage" in the ability description seem to imply that the spell rage is an additional effect that can be stacked with normal rage, but it has it's own duration and uses per day, and fatigues you when it ends, so I'm confused.

Q 368: Can the Extra Rage feat from the same book be used to gain extra uses of Spell Rage?

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-05, 12:39 AM
Q 365

Do undead register to Detect Magic?

A 365

For most undead, like uncontrolled zombies and ghouls and such, no. The spells that create them are instantaneous, and their continued animation is not magical (and will persist even in an antimagic field).

Keep in mind that a lot of undead can have magical auras for other reasons. A zombie controlled by a spell like Control Undead will show that aura. A manifesting ghost has an aura since Manifest is a supernatural ability. Anything with active or continuous magical abilities will register.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-05, 03:01 AM
Q: Is there a reasonably easy way to convert AD&D character kits to 3.5 classes?

Gavinfoxx
2010-12-05, 03:22 AM
Someone did 369 without numbering it. boo! hiss! edit: they fixed it!

Q370: What books have Epic Spells, and especially *Epic Spell Seeds* other than the Epic Level Handbook?

Q371: There has been discussion of some rune, presumably from Dragon Magazine, that changes all water that passes over it into steam, without using heat to do so. Where is this item / rune located?

ffone
2010-12-05, 04:27 AM
Q372

If a character is simultaneously under the effects of Haste and Slow, is there a rule that they cancel out? Or is the character still limited to only a single action?

koscum
2010-12-05, 06:09 AM
Q373.
Does melee weapon mastery stack with WF, GWF, WS and GWS.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-05, 07:38 AM
A 369 No.

There's no "reasonably easy" way to do this conversion. You'll need to start by downloading the 2nd Edition to 3rd Edition Conversion Manual (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/conversionbook.zip) and following that. Then go to the D&D v.3.5 Accessory Update Booklet page (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a) and download and follow those instructions. Ultimately your DM will have to make a bunch of judgment calls about elements of your particular conversion.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-05, 07:50 AM
A 366 [small correction]

While Spring Attack normally would not allow a full attack, and thus could not benefit from the extra attack provided by Haste, there are ways to make this combination work, since the term "attack action" is used but not defined in the D&D rules. Possibilities for this term include the following:

standard action attack
full attack action (the only option using the exact term)
attack of opportunity
bonus attack (such as granted by Improved Trip)
Since Spring Attack requires a move action split around some form of attack action, you would need to have an extra move action to use Spring Attack with the full attack action. A Belt of Battle (Magic Item Compendium, page 73) and a Tempo Bloodspike (Magic of Eberron, pages 139-141) are a couple of ways to get an extra move action.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-05, 08:07 AM
A 367

Spell Rage is not an independent form of rage, but is instead a modification to rage or frenzy obtained through some other means. (Rage or frenzy is a requirement to enter the Rage Mage prestige class.) Unlike rage, Spell Rage does not provide any bonuses to Strength, Constitution, or Will saves; it instead provides additional penalties in exchange for regaining the ability to cast spells lost to rage and frenzy. If you were a Barbarian with the Tireless Rage feature before entering Rage Mage, you would still become fatigued at the end of your rage each time you activated Spell Rage. Spell Rage can only be activated during rage or frenzy. As rage, frenzy, and Spell Rage are all Extraordinary abilities, activating any or all of them together is not an action; typically you would start your rage or frenzy and Spell Rage simultaneously.

A 368 No.

As explained above, Spell Rage is only an enhancement to rage or frenzy.

Runestar
2010-12-05, 08:10 AM
Q373.
Does melee weapon mastery stack with WF, GWF, WS and GWS.

A373: Yes.

Q372

If a character is simultaneously under the effects of Haste and Slow, is there a rule that they cancel out? Or is the character still limited to only a single action?

A372: The spell descriptions of haste and slow state that they counter and dispel each other. So if you cast a slow spell on a PC already affected by haste, the slow would dispel haste (aka dispel magic) with no additional effects.

If you could somehow get both effects on the same creature (say, slowing a tarrasque monster of legend with the haste ability), then yeah, you simply apply their benefits separately, I don't think they cancel each other out. Meaning that a hasted, slowed person is still limited to just 1 action each round.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-05, 08:11 AM
A 372

Yes, there's a rule.
Slow counters and dispels haste.
Haste dispels and counters slow.
Spells with Opposite Effects

Spells with opposite effects apply normally, with all bonuses, penalties, or changes accruing in the order that they apply. Some spells negate or counter each other. This is a special effect that is noted in a spell’s description. Haste + Slow = nothing; both spells are used up (dispelled) countering each other.

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-05, 08:28 AM
Q374

Is there a Feat or feat tree that will let me dual wield two handed weapons?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-05, 08:34 AM
A 374 Yes.

If you have at least 4 hands, the Multiweapon Fighting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#multiweaponFighting) feat tree will let you wield 2 2-handed weapons.

Dimers
2010-12-05, 10:09 AM
Q 375

For prestige classes that advance spellcasting, where does it say that they increase caster level? The wording in most PrC descriptions just says they benefit spells per day and spells known.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-05, 11:05 AM
A 375

Specific prestige classes state that they advance caster level.
This essentially means that he adds the level of mystic theurge to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class and divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.
This essentially means that she adds the level of eldritch knight to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.
Spells and Caster Level

Levels in the hierophant prestige class, even though they do not advance spell progression in the character’s base class, still stack with the character’s base spellcasting levels to determine caster level. You'll need to find such a statement in a particular class description, because by RAW the prestige class does not advance caster level without it.

Douglas
2010-12-05, 11:09 AM
A375

This is something that was handled very inconsistently, at least for early books. The Loremaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/loremaster.htm) class states "add the level of loremaster to the level of some other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly." Archmage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/archmage.htm), on the other hand, doesn't mention caster level, and there are several more examples of each.

By strict RAW, Loremaster advances caster level while Archmage does not. This is a blatantly obvious mistaken omission, however, and the vast majority of DMs play with the house rule (often without even realizing that it is a house rule) that anything that advances spells per day also advances caster level unless it explicitly states otherwise.

ffone
2010-12-05, 01:55 PM
Thanks Runestar and Curmudgeon.

Q372 followup:

If someone is Slowed from a spell, and wearing 'boots of speed' (SRD Wondrous Items, allows use of 'haste' in 1-round increments), does activating the boots for 1 round dispel the Slow, or just suppress it for as long as the 'haste' is active? In other words, if Slow has more rounds of duration left, would the character be slowed again after their haste ended?

Incanur
2010-12-05, 02:02 PM
If someone is Slowed from a spell, and wearing 'boots of speed' (SRD Wondrous Items, allows use of 'haste' in 1-round increments), does activating the boots for 1 round dispel the Slow, or just suppress it for as long as the 'haste' is active? In other words, if Slow has more rounds of duration left, would the character be slowed again after their haste ended?

Dispel means gone for good. Haste dispels slow, it doesn't suppress it.

soulsabre345
2010-12-05, 05:32 PM
Q 376
If a caster has a familiar but they then grab improved or dragon familiar how do they claim that familiar without waiting a year and a day?

Also, if a caster has an improved or dragon familiar does it still hold that the familiar can't be changed once picked unless you wait a year and a day between choices?

As well, anyone know of any good resource or handbook on improved familiars?

GeminiVeil
2010-12-05, 06:29 PM
Q377
Ok, another question along the line that ffone started, if I had a continual haste item, and someone cast slow, would I have to take the item off and put it back on again? would it just be countered until slow wore off?

faceroll
2010-12-05, 08:23 PM
Q378

If a druid cast Aspect of the Wolf on himself (SpC), then used wildshape, would he be a valid target for spells like Animal Growth or Charm Animal?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-05, 09:49 PM
A 376

The normal scheme for obtaining an advanced familiar is to defer familiar selection until the advanced familiar is available. Summon Familiar provides an option to choose a familiar when that feat is obtained, not a requirement. If the character already has summoned one familiar they must abide by the waiting period before summoning a replacement.

You might find this early 3.5 web page on Familiars (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rs/20030513a) helpful, as well as the following Rules of the Game articles:

Familiars (Part One) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050906a)
Familiars (Part Two) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050913a)
Familiars (Part Three) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050920a)
Familiars (Part Four) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050927a)
Complete Scoundrel has some extra improved familiars on page 78; Complete Warrior features some on page 100; Player's Guide to Faerûn includes extras on page 39; Races of Faerûn has more on page 165; and Serpent Kingdoms lists scaly familiars on page 146.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-05, 09:58 PM
A 378 No.

The Druid's wild shape ability is an instance of the alternate form special ability.
The creature retains the type and subtype of its original form. This is an example of the One Effect Makes Another Irrelevant magic stacking rule (Player's Handbook, page 172): when the Druid uses Wild Shape, the prior adoption of animal type through Aspect of the Wolf has no effect because wild shape reverts the Druid to original type and subtype. If the Druid ended wild shape before Aspect of the Wolf expired, the spell would again have effect and the Druid would once more assume animal type.

Laharal
2010-12-05, 10:20 PM
Q379
Which Craft Dc is to be used for arrows?

10 (common item)-
12 (simple weapon/same as bow)
15 (martial weapon/same as bow)
or there is no official answers, to be houseruled?

Q380
How many arrows can be coated with a vial of poison?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-06, 12:08 AM
A 380 One.

From page 296 of Dungeon Master's Guide:
One dose of poison smeared on a weapon or some other object affects just a single target.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-06, 12:17 AM
A 379

Craft (bowmaking) includes fletching arrows (Source: Arms and Equipment Guide, page 62). Since it's the same skill, it's a reasonable assumption that the Craft DC to create the projectile weapon and the ammunition that it uses would be the same (DC 12), but I haven't found an actual rules source for this.

HMS Invincible
2010-12-06, 03:09 AM
Q381. How well does cloudy conjuration feat work with summoning a monster as a standard action (via magical items)? I'm trying to have the monster attack the enemy while the enemy is affected by the sickened feature of the cloud in order to take advantage of the penalties to AC.

Q382. I've been seeing multiple versions of Ray of Stupidity across books, which one is the newest or correct one? Which books are they in?

Chen
2010-12-06, 12:50 PM
Q383

Does soft cover (from say an ally in front of you) prevent AoOs in the same manner as real cover?

OMG PONIES
2010-12-06, 01:09 PM
A381: It works for the purposes you mentioned, but keep in mind that your prey would be granted concealment (for a 20% miss chance).

Kaww
2010-12-06, 02:11 PM
Q382. I've been seeing multiple versions of Ray of Stupidity across books, which one is the newest or correct one? Which books are they in?

A382

The newest one I have is from Spell Compendium. Printed in 2005.
You may find newer versions by looking for print/release date on your books and just play by the rules in the newest one you have.

Kaww
2010-12-06, 02:16 PM
Q383

Does soft cover (from say an ally in front of you) prevent AoOs in the same manner as real cover?

A383

You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with cover relative to you.

Creatures, even your enemies, can provide you with cover against ranged attacks, giving you a +4 bonus to AC. However, such soft cover provides no bonus on Reflex saves, nor does soft cover allow you to make a Hide check

It's not specified that you get AoO, thus the general rule applies and there is no AoO.

Black_Zawisza
2010-12-06, 09:00 PM
Q384

I remember hearing somewhere that arrows can deliver some spells. Is this true? If so, with what kinds?

Urpriest
2010-12-06, 09:02 PM
Q385

Can those immune to ability damage use spells with a Corruption Cost?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-06, 09:18 PM
A 384

Yes, this is true for the Arcane Archer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/arcaneArcher.htm) prestige class. The arrows can deliver area spells.

Just to forestall excursions down blind alleys, the spell storing property does not work with fired arrows, for these two RAW reasons:

Arrows are destroyed on impact, so there's nothing left to carry the effect.
Spell storing only works with wielded weapons, and an arrow that's left the bow is no longer wielded.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-06, 09:23 PM
A 385 No.

Spells with a corruption cost only succeed when the corruption component cost is paid. Those immune to ability damage cannot pay the cost and thus corrupt spells always fail for them.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-06, 09:26 PM
Q385

Can those immune to ability damage use spells with a Corruption Cost?

A 385 additional

The FAQ has this to say on the matter:

If a spellcaster is immune to ability drain (such as by being undead), can he still cast corrupt spells? I seem to recall that there is a spell somewhere that can protect someone from ability damage as well, so how about in that case? Can you heal corruption costs?

The negative energy protection spell prevents the loss of ability scores and levels to attacks that employ negative energy. A corruption cost is not a negative energy effect, and negative energy protection won’t prevent it. While defensive special qualities in the D&D game are usually insurmountable, the corruption cost for the spell represents a direct assault on the physical and mental well-being of the caster, and anyone who casts a corrupt spell has to pay the cost, even if normally immune to ability damage, ability drain, or energy drain. The act of casting a corrupt spell makes the caster briefly vulnerable to the corruption cost of the spell.

When an undead creature uses a corrupt spell with an ability damage or ability drain corruption cost, the undead creature takes the damage or the drain against its Charisma score, no matter what ability the spell normally damages or drains. If the damage or drain reduces the undead creature’s Charisma to 0, the creature becomes helpless until the loss of Charisma is somehow restored or repaired. Any ability damage from a corruption cost heals at the rate of 1 point per day, just like any other ability damage. Ability drain can be healed by the appropriate spells.

Note that undead creatures with Intelligence scores can heal normal ability damage just as living creatures can. For example, a lich casts Lahm’s finger darts and suffers 1 point of Charisma damage per dart (the spell normally damages Strength, but a lich is an undead creature, so it suffers Charisma damage instead). The Charisma damage the lich suffers heals at the rate of 1 point per day, and the lich’s fingers are replaced as the Charisma damage heals.
How seriously you take the FAQ is up to you.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-06, 09:38 PM
How seriously you take the FAQ is up to you.
This is a RAW thread. FAQ answers that make up house rules (undead spellcasters converting all corruption cost to Charisma?? :smallconfused:) are out of scope for Q&A involving the Rules As Written.

Actually, in general the FAQ has no RAW standing. It's a handy, freely quotable source when the answers do follow the rules, though.

Kumori
2010-12-07, 12:54 AM
Q 386

If a sorcerer has a Reserve feat and the Heighten Spell feat, do all his reserve feat use his highest unused spell slot to determine their effectiveness regardless of the level of the actual spell with the necessary descriptor?

Example: A tenth level sorcerer has both Fiery Burst and Heighten Spell. He has not cast any spells yet today. His highest level fire spell is Fireball.
Does he do 5d6 fire damage or just 3d6?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-07, 01:26 AM
A 386 Probably not.

From Complete Mage on page 37:
A spellcaster who does not need to prepare spells (such as a sorcerer) must know an appropriate spell and must have at least one unused spell slot of that spell's level or higher.
Only actual spells or spell slots allow the character to use the primary benefit of a reserve feat. Spell-like abilities, supernatural abilities, and extraordinary abilities—even if they mimic or duplicate an appropriate spell—do not qualify. Spells that do not have a descriptor until cast (such as the summon monster spells) can't be used to gain the primary benefit of a reserve feat. There's room for DM judgment here, but the insistence that "only actual spells or spell slots" can be used to power reserve feats reduces that wiggle room considerably. There's no inclusion of rules for how you might use metamagic in conjunction with reserve feats in these rules.

I suggest you talk to your individual DM, but be prepared for disappointment.

weenie
2010-12-07, 07:36 AM
Q 387

Can a wablade who reaches lvl4 delay learning a stance for one level in order to take a lvl3 stance?

Duke of URL
2010-12-07, 07:40 AM
A 387

No. You must learn a stance at the level it is awarded. This is why it's often suggested to take two levels of another class before you take Warblade 4, because those two levels will increase your initiator level by 1.

Runestar
2010-12-07, 07:42 AM
Q 387

Can a wablade who reaches lvl4 delay learning a stance for one level in order to take a lvl3 stance?

You can't delay a stance, same as how you can't delay taking feats. Check with your DM if you can houserule the acquisition of your 2nd stance to 5th or 6th lv instead.

Telonius
2010-12-07, 09:28 AM
Q388 One of the Horizon Walker PrC's planar mastery abilities mentions bonuses to creatures native to a shifting plane, but the DMG doesn't seem to define what a "shifting" plane is. Is this a holdover from a previous edition meaning "highly morphic," or is it something else?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-07, 11:06 AM
A 388 Yes.

The Manual of the Planes was the relevant source for planar D&D rules at the time the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide was published. Shifting (Manual of the Planes) is a synonym for morphic (Planar Handbook). That includes planes described as morphic, highly morphic, magically morphic, and divinely morphic.

Sitzkrieg
2010-12-07, 04:39 PM
Q389 Does an active Freedom of Movement cast on myself prevent opponents from moving while grappled and/or escaping a grapple, because both of those actions require a grapple attempt, which I would automatically resist?

Douglas
2010-12-07, 05:17 PM
A389

No. Freedom of Movement's auto-win for grappling applies A) when someone attempts to start grappling you and B) when you attempt to escape a grapple you are already in. Any other grapple checks are unaffected, including attempts by your opponents to escape from you.

Black_Zawisza
2010-12-07, 08:25 PM
Q390

Edit: Scratch that. Found the answer.

Thurbane
2010-12-07, 08:29 PM
A 390

Thri-kreen speak their own language (made up of clicks and snaps of their mandibles), and some also speak common (MM2, SS).

According to EPH, they automatically speak Thri-kreen and common.

Biggles
2010-12-08, 04:39 AM
Q391

What feats can be used to change the skills a character may consider class/cross-class?

Kaww
2010-12-08, 06:08 AM
A391
Well there is a bunch of those. Some may be found here (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Feats.pdf).
Most popular one tho is Able learner from Races of Destiny. It makes all skills class skills if you are human or doppelganger...

bokodasu
2010-12-08, 06:57 AM
Q392

Is there a Metamagic Rod of Persist? If so, which book? (If not, Q392B: are there rules for metamagic rod pricing?)

ragnar
2010-12-08, 07:24 AM
Q393

is it possible to cast a spell while holding a sword in one hand and a buckler on the other hand ?

Eloel
2010-12-08, 07:42 AM
Q393

is it possible to cast a spell while holding a sword in one hand and a buckler on the other hand ?

A393 partial
You can cast any spell without Somatic component.

Tasroth
2010-12-08, 07:55 AM
A393 Correction

As a buckler straps to your arm, that would leave your hand free. Since the requirement for spells with somatic components is to have at least one free hand, you should be able to (though I can't find an explicit statement to that effect). You will incur the spell failure from the buckler if applicable though.

Eloel
2010-12-08, 07:57 AM
A393 CorrecAddition

As a buckler straps to your arm, that would leave your hand free. Since the requirement for spells with somatic components is to have at least one free hand, you should be able to (though I can't find an explicit statement to that effect). You will incur the spell failure from the buckler if applicable though.
I felt the need to fix it. There was nothing wrong to correct.

Tasroth
2010-12-08, 08:00 AM
Fair enough. My apologies, I read your response the wrong way.

Douglas
2010-12-08, 08:06 AM
A391
Well there is a bunch of those. Some may be found here (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Feats.pdf).
Most popular one tho is Able learner from Races of Destiny. It makes all skills class skills if you are human or doppelganger...
Correction: Able Learner does not give you any additional class skills. It eliminates the difference in cost per skill rank, but the different maximum ranks for class and cross-class skills remains the same. If you're trying to fix a problem with an insufficient bonus in one skill or satisfying skill rank prerequisites at the minimum level, it won't help you. If you're trying to fix a problem with insufficient skill points to spend on your lengthy list of chosen skills, many of which are cross class, it's incredibly useful.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-08, 09:25 AM
A 391 additional info

In addition to Able Learner* (thanks, douglas, for that correction), the following feats may be helpful:

Education* (Eberron Campaign Setting, page 52 or a regional feat in either Player's Guide to Faerûn on page 38 or Ghostwalk on page 31) makes all Knowledges class skills for you, and provides a bonus to 2 of them.
Apprentice* (Dungeon Master's Guide II, page 176) provides 8 mentor-apprentice pairings; choosing one gives you 2 class skills, plus other benefits.
A pair of feats in Cityscape on page 61, Favored and Primary Contact, will together give you +1 bonus rank in a skill, allowing you to (for 1 level only) exceed the normal maximum of (class level + 3) ranks.
Criminal Background* (City of Stormreach, page 95) adds Bluff, Open Lock, and Sleight of Hand to your class skill list. However, this requires joining the Bilge Rats organization, which needs Intimidate as a class skill and either sneak attack or skirmish as a class feature, so most classes which qualify won't receive much benefit.
There's a useful list of Alternative ways to get new Class skills (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19860850/Alternative_ways_to_get_new_Class_skills); most of these ways don't involve feats, though.

* - Feat which can be taken at 1st level only

Curmudgeon
2010-12-08, 09:47 AM
A 392 No, and no.

All metamagic rods are in either the Dungeon Master's Guide or Complete Arcane. Neither book provides rules for crafting any other type of metamagic rod.

You can talk to your individual DM about whether they would allow you to create such a powerful custom item in their particular world, assuming your character had some years of down time to devote to the crafting. (Persistent Spell is in Complete Arcane and increases spell level by +6. The most powerful metamagic rod in that book is for Chain Spell, which increases spell level by +3, and costs up to 243,000 gp ─ a full 10 times the cost for the least powerful +0 spell level rod. Each 1,000 gp of item cost requires 1 full day of crafting. Simple extrapolation would factor in another multiple of 10 and yield a figure of 6.7 years crafting time, but exactly how many years for a +6 spell level rod ─ assuming such an item were allowed at all ─ would be specified by your particular DM for their campaign world.)

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-12-08, 12:04 PM
In order of ease to answer:

Q394: Does damage reduction apply to lethal damage from heat? Its seems a no, but I thought I'd check.

Q395: Is there any way to gain eldritch blast (sp) without taking Warlock 1, Spellthief 5 or (even worse), Illithid Savant levels? Perhaps one of the +damage items...

Curmudgeon
2010-12-08, 12:16 PM
A 394 No.
Damage Reduction

A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks. Unless the heat is coming with either a weapon or natural attack, DR does not apply.

Mordaenor
2010-12-08, 02:39 PM
Q396

So, I'm pretty sure there is no RAW for this, but I'd like a quick opinion on the best way to deal with the senses of touch and smell? Por example: Roll to see if you feel a faint breeze (indicating a potential opening to the outside world) My default would be straight Wisdom check, but that seems... I don't know, inappropriate somehow. We got Spot, Listen, and..... what?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-08, 02:56 PM
A 396

The Scent special ability has rules for the sense of smell here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#scent). It's an all-or-nothing thing, though; without that ability there are no standard game rules. Tremorsense provides useful sensory input when in contact with the ground; find rules here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#tremorsense). Again, the ability is either there or not.

As this is a RAW-only thread, I suggest you ask elsewhere for opinions on how to handle matters outside the written rules.

Demons_eye
2010-12-08, 10:27 PM
Q: 397

Where can I find Epic Binder progression?

Laharal
2010-12-08, 11:48 PM
Q398
If a character wants a +2 bonus when making poisons does he need a masterwork artisan's tool (poison making) or an alchemist lab? (please post references if possible)

(And what is necessary for basic poison-making?)

gregunderscorem
2010-12-09, 08:47 AM
Q 399

Does an outsider (specifically a devil) have an allotted life span, or are they effectively immortal barring disease or violent end?

Derjuin
2010-12-09, 09:57 AM
Q 400

Does the Factotum's Arcane Dilettante ability allow it to qualify for prestige classes that require "ability to cast arcane spells of X level", if its current Spell Level is at least X?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-09, 10:01 AM
A 400 No.

The Factotum has no ability to cast spells, ever.
By spending 1 inspiration point, you can mimic a spell as a spell-like ability.

Vistella
2010-12-09, 11:36 AM
Q401
we have a monk with decisive strike and improved trip and an unarmed attack tohit bonus of +15 (just a flat number, doesnt matter from where)

now if he uses his decisive strike and tries to trip the opponent, he does his trip attempt at +13 and if the opponent gets tripped he gets the extra attack from improved trip at +15?
cause decisive strike just says
...using your highest base attack bonus but taking a –2 penalty on this attack roll. If the attack hits, it deals double damage (as does any other attack you make before the start of your next turn). which should mean the trip attempt is a +13 and all other attacks dont suffer from the -2 as improved trip doesnt state anything about using the same attack bonus as befor, unlike cleave and such, no?

Q402
does using combat expertise count as fighting defensively for the purpose of other abilities which rely on fighting defensively?
for example agile fighting which says: When fighting defensively or using total defense, this bonus becomes +2.
does that kick in when using CE for -1 +1 already?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-09, 12:18 PM
A 401

The relevant part of Improved Trip is:
If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt. "As if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt" means that the melee attack is at the same attack bonus. Because your trip attack was at +13, your melee attack granted by Improved Trip will also be at +13.

A 402 No.

Fighting defensively is a particular combat form with specified rules. You can fight defensively as a standard action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#fightingDefensivelyasaStandard Action) or as a full-round action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#fightingDefensivelyasaFullRoun dAction).

OMG PONIES
2010-12-09, 01:20 PM
Q403 When not listed, what kind of action does it take to use a divine feat?

Vistella
2010-12-09, 01:33 PM
A403
from page 77, Cdivine

These feats often
take a standard action to activate, but may require other
types of actions as specifi ed.

so standard unless stated otherwise

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-12-09, 02:10 PM
Q 404

Is attacking with both claws two-weapon-fighting? (And therefore subject to those penalties.)

Keld Denar
2010-12-09, 02:13 PM
A 404

Claws are natural weapons and follow the rules for natural weapons rather than manufactured weapons. The only natural weapon that follows (most of) the rules for manufactured weapons is the Unarmed Strike. Natural weapons can never make iterative attacks.

The rules for natural weapons are:

Determine your primary natural weapon. If you use a manufactured weapon, you won't have a primary natural weapon. Sometimes a "pair" or "set" of natural weapons can be the primary weapon. The primary weapon attacks at highest attack bonus, and includes full +str to damage. All other natural weapons are then secondary natural weapons. Secondary natural weapons suffer a -5 to hit (-2 with Multiattack), and only receive a bonus of 1/2 +str on damage. If you use a manufactured weapon, all primary natural weapons are converted to secondary natural weapons. You can not use a natural weapon if it is "occupied" holding a manufactured weapon.

EDIT:
Example - Troglodyte (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/troglodyte.htm)

Claws are primary natural attacks, the bite is secondary. If it full attacks, it can make 2 claw attacks and one bite. Since it has Multiattack, the bite only suffers a -2 penalty compared to the claws. +1/+1/-1 Claw/Claw/Bite.

When it wields the club, a manufactured weapon, it attacks with the club then its off-claw and bite, which are both now secondary natural attacks (even though the claw is normally a primary natural attack). +1/-1/-1 Club/Claw/Bite

Make sense?

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-12-09, 02:24 PM
Q 404-Clarifaction

Does "use a manufactured weapon" mean capable of using, or using during any given attack?

Vistella
2010-12-09, 02:26 PM
A404-Clarifaction
it means actually using it

Salbazier
2010-12-10, 04:27 AM
Q 405

Related to above, is Warforged's Slam attack is 'occupied' when I use a 2-handed weapon?

Vistella
2010-12-10, 08:37 AM
A405

that depends what a slam really is imo
if its a bitchslap, then yes
if its a bodycheck, then no

OMG PONIES
2010-12-10, 10:05 AM
Q406

Are there any items that grant the Spring Attack feat?

Zherog
2010-12-10, 10:43 AM
A 405 additional

A slam would, it would seem, preclude you from using a manufactured weapon.

Slap or Slam: The creature batters opponents with an appendage, dealing bludgeoning damage.

I suppose one could make an argument that by the rules, kicking somebody is a slam attack, as your legs are an appendage...

Curmudgeon
2010-12-10, 10:47 AM
A 406 No.

I suppose you could make the case that a wand of Alter Self, since it will allow a humanoid character to adopt the form of a Varag (Monster Manual III, page 168), would satisfy the requirement; Varags have Spring Attack as a racial bonus feat.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-10, 10:55 AM
A 405 additional
I suppose one could make an argument that by the rules, kicking somebody is a slam attack, as your legs are an appendage...
In the general case perhaps, but not for a warforged. The Eberron Campaign Setting has this on page 268:
A battlefist increases the damage dealt by the character’s natural slam attack

Duke of URL
2010-12-10, 10:56 AM
A 405

For the life of me, I can't actually find the rule that says that using a manufactured weapon actually denies the use of natural attacks (even though it is clearly nonsensical to allow a hand that holds a weapon to also be used for a claw attack, as an example).

In any event, however, a "slam" attack uses your body itself as a weapon; holding/using a manufactured weapon in a hand/tentacle/whatever would not preclude using your body as a weapon. "Slap" attacks are a different matter, as they are specific to an appendage, and if that appendage is doing something else, it wouldn't be free to do the slap attack.

Zherog
2010-12-10, 11:13 AM
A 405 additional

I disagree, Duke. the rule I quoted clearly treats slams and slaps as the same thing.

Salbazier
2010-12-10, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the answers. I also made its own thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9936602)

Duke of URL
2010-12-10, 11:46 AM
As I pointed out in my initial reply, I still can't find the RAW that says that using a manufactured weapon (potentially) prevents a creature from using one or more of its natural attacks, despite the fact that the either/or approach is what actually makes sense.

So, on further investigation, I resort to precedent. The combat block for a Cloud Giant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/giant.htm) includes:

Attack: Gargantuan morningstar +22 melee (4d6+18) or slam +22 melee (1d6+12) or rock +12 ranged (2d8+12)
Full Attack: Gargantuan morningstar +22/+17/+12 melee (4d6+18) or 2 slams +22 melee (1d6+12) or rock +12 ranged (2d8+12)

Here, the slam is treated as an either/or with the morningstar, and not as an extra secondary natural attack.

Nonetheless, this leads me to...

Q 407

Where is the RAW (if any) that states that a creature (may) forfeit one or more natural attacks when using a manufactured weapon?

Kaww
2010-12-10, 12:09 PM
A407

Try MM1 pg. 6.

EDIT: Attack/Full Attack section.

Duke of URL
2010-12-10, 12:21 PM
A 407, dispute

The text cited is the same as the SRD, which is:

Attack

This line shows the single attack the creature makes with an attack action. In most cases, this is also the attack the creature uses when making an attack of opportunity as well. The attack line provides the weapon used (natural or manufactured), attack bonus, and form of attack (melee or ranged). The attack bonus given includes modifications for size and Strength (for melee attacks) or Dexterity (for ranged attacks). A creature with the Weapon Finesse feat can use its Dexterity modifier on melee attacks. If the creature uses natural attacks, the natural weapon given here is the creature’s primary natural weapon. If the creature has several different weapons at its disposal, the alternatives are shown, with each different attack separated by the word "or." A creature can use one of its secondary natural weapons when making an attack action, but if it does it takes an attack penalty, as noted in the Full Attack section below. The damage that each attack deals is noted parenthetically. Damage from an attack is always at least 1 point, even if a subtraction from a die roll reduces the result to 0 or lower.

Full Attack

This line shows all the physical attacks the creature makes when it uses a full-round action to make a full attack. It gives the number of attacks along with the weapon, attack bonus, and form of attack (melee or ranged). The first entry is for the creature’s primary weapon, with an attack bonus including modifications for size and Strength (for melee attacks) or Dexterity (for ranged attacks). A creature with the Weapon Finesse feat can use its Dexterity modifier on melee attacks. The remaining weapons are secondary, and attacks with them are made with a -5 penalty to the attack roll, no matter how many there are. Creatures with the Multiattack feat take only a -2 penalty on secondary attacks. The damage that each attack deals is noted parenthetically. Damage from an attack is always at least 1 point, even if a subtraction from a die roll reduces the result to 0 or lower.

A creature’s primary attack damage includes its full Strength modifier (1½ times its Strength bonus if the attack is with the creature’s sole natural weapon) and is given first. Secondary attacks add only ½ the creature’s Strength bonus and are given second in the parentheses.

If any attacks also have some special effect other than damage, that information is given here.

Unless noted otherwise, creatures using natural weapons deal double damage on critical hits.

Manufactured Weapons

Creatures that use manufactured weapons such as swords, bows, spears, and the like follow the same rules as characters do. The bonus for attacks with two-handed weapons is 1½ times the creature’s Strength modifier (if it is a bonus), and is given first. Offhand weapons add only ½ the Strength bonus and are given second in the parentheses.

Nowhere in that does it say that a creature does not get to use its natural attacks if it uses a manufactured weapon. If you interpret the last paragraph to say that a creature using a manufactured weapon forfeits all natural attacks, this is at odds with monster listings (see Hound Archon, which gets a bite attack in addition to its weapon attack(s) when full-attacking).

Kaww
2010-12-10, 12:35 PM
ReA407Dispute

Since it states that the creature attacking with martial weapons is subject to same rules as characters do means that the monster may attack with secondary attack only with TWF line. Since it's natural attacks aren't considered wielded weapons they do not benefit from TWF.

As for mistakes Hound Archon may not be the only one in MMs. I agree that this entry makes no sense.

If you have more disputes PM me or start a thread, since this is starting to turn into a debate.

Laharal
2010-12-10, 12:38 PM
Q398 (2nd attempt)
If a character has craft (alchemy) does he need artisan's tools or the alchemist's lab?
(And what is necessary for basic poison-making?)

Kaww
2010-12-10, 12:45 PM
A398Partial

Alchemist's lab provides +2 bonus to craft alchemy checks, more info in PHB.
As for what is necessary - ingredients and good craft alchemy(I don't know how good tho)

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-10, 12:53 PM
A 398
You do not require artisan’s tools to make a craft check, but without them you take a -2 penalty to your check.

All crafts require artisan’s tools to give the best chance of success. If improvised tools are used, the check is made with a -2 circumstance penalty. On the other hand, masterwork artisan’s tools provide a +2 circumstance bonus on the check.

Artisan’s Tools

These special tools include the items needed to pursue any craft. Without them, you have to use improvised tools (-2 penalty on Craft checks), if you can do the job at all.

Reading a little further, in the “Special” section of the Craft description, and it seems that Alchemy is an exception. Apparently, you buy the equipment as needed:

To make an item using Craft (alchemy), you must have alchemical equipment and be a spellcaster. If you are working in a city, you can buy what you need as part of the raw materials cost to make the item, but alchemical equipment is difficult or impossible to come by in some places. Purchasing and maintaining an alchemist’s lab grants a +2 circumstance bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks because you have the perfect tools for the job, but it does not affect the cost of any items made using the skill.
(emphasis mine)

Seems to also indicate that one needs an Alchemist’s lab rather than simply masterwork artisan’s tools for that +2 bonus.

WinWin
2010-12-10, 12:57 PM
A398
Depends on which rules you are using. An alchemists lab can be used to make poisons, providing a +2 circumstance bonus on the check.

However, some sourcebooks refer to craft (poisonmaking) and suggest that using the less specialised alchemy skill warrants a -4 on the Alchemy check.

I guess the artisans tools could be used for some poisons, such as those extracted from animals or monsters, but any kind of manufacturing would require a lab.

The difficulty in providing a RAW answer is complicated by conflicting and incomplete rules in different books, such as Serpent Kingdoms, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Adventurer, Book of Vile Darkness and Drow of the Underdark. Some of these sourcebooks compliment each other, others require a solid ruling from the DM.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-10, 01:02 PM
Re: A 398

The difficulty in providing a RAW answer is complicated by conflicting and incomplete rules in different books, such as Serpent Kingdoms, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Adventurer, Book of Vile Darkness and Drow of the Underdark. Some of these sourcebooks compliment each other, others require a solid ruling from the DM.
The official rule is that in the case of conflicts, the most recent version trumps all others. That should put Complete Scoundrel at the top for rules on Craft (poisonmaking), I believe.

Duke of URL
2010-12-10, 01:15 PM
ReA407Dispute

Since it states that the creature attacking with martial weapons is subject to same rules as characters do means that the monster may attack with secondary attack only with TWF line. Since it's natural attacks aren't considered wielded weapons they do not benefit from TWF.

As for mistakes Hound Archon may not be the only one in MMs. I agree that this entry makes no sense.

If you have more disputes PM me or start a thread, since this is starting to turn into a debate.

New thread opened (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179175), as this has moved beyond a "simple" Q&A question.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-10, 03:12 PM
Re: A 398

The official rule is that in the case of conflicts, the most recent version trumps all others. That should put Complete Scoundrel at the top for rules on Craft (poisonmaking), I believe.
Your memory of what the rule is happens to be pretty much the opposite of the actual official rule:
Errata Rule: Primary Sources

When you find a disagreement between two D&D® rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. One example of a primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a table entry. An individual spell description takes precedence when the short description in the beginning of the spells chapter disagrees.

Another example of primary vs. secondary sources involves book and topic precedence. The Player's Handbook, for example, gives all the rules for playing the game, for playing PC races, and for using base class descriptions. If you find something on one of those topics from the Dungeon Master's Guide or the Monster Manual that disagrees with the Player's Handbook, you should assume the Player's Handbook is the primary source. The Dungeon Master's Guide is the primary source for topics such as magic item descriptions, special material construction rules, and so on. The Monster Manual is the primary source for monster descriptions, templates, and supernatural, extraordinary, and spell-like abilities. Unless a supplement specifically states that it's changing an existing rule (as Complete Arcane and other books do when introducing swift and immediate actions and changing the Feather Fall spell), discrepancies default back to the primary source ─ in this case, the Player's Handbook. Thus the specific rule regarding Craft (alchemy) on page 71 of the Player's Handbook is correct.

Dralnu
2010-12-10, 08:09 PM
Q399:

How high up do evard's black tentacles reach? Does it only grapple those who are touching the ground, ignoring fliers of any altitude, or does it reach higher than that?

Q400:

Are there any rules regarding directional movement when blinded? You move at half speed, but are you still able to move in a straight line? Any rolls needed to move in a straight line through a sleet storm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sleetstorm.htm), for example?

Defiant
2010-12-10, 08:22 PM
A399:

This spell conjures a field of rubbery black tentacles, each 10 feet long. [...] They grasp and entwine around creatures that enter the area, holding them fast and crushing them with great strength.

Granted, it does say "area" and not "volume", but presumably, anyone within 10 feet of the ground upon which Black Tentacles was cast, should be grappled.

A400:

There are no rules against it, so characters should be able to move straight no problem. Bear in mind that they would be moving within a 5-foot corridor of space, so fluff-wise you could have it that they're wobbling around, but still going from one five-foot space to the next correctly.

WarrenZig
2010-12-10, 08:30 PM
Edit: Swordsage'd

Also if they were blind i don't think they could choose which direction to move in since they can't see.

Defiant
2010-12-10, 08:41 PM
Edit: Swordsage'd

Also if they were blind i don't think they could choose which direction to move in since they can't see.

Technically they could choose which direction to move in, it's just that they wouldn't know where anyone or anything is.

Laharal
2010-12-11, 05:27 AM
Q401
A PC is shooting a medium monster 50 feet from him, and at 30 feet between the two ther is a square occupied by a tree (normal one, not massive one DMG p.88) Does the monster get some sort of AC bonus? Does the receive a penalty to his shot? Or is everything unaffected since only massive trees provide cover?

Lateral
2010-12-11, 07:50 AM
Q 402 Can I make a vampire lich? What about a lich ghost or a vampire ghost?

Also, what about an (insert undead template) half-golem?

Kaww
2010-12-11, 07:59 AM
A402

Read the requirement to apply the template. Most undead templates have requirements - living creature. So vampire lich and similar things - not possible. If half golem doesn't change your type to construct than undead templates are applicable.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-11, 10:34 AM
A 401

Smaller trees provide a benefit to AC (also specified in Dungeon Master's Guide on page 88) only to creatures in their squares. Otherwise they merely constitute difficult terrain, which does not normally provide sufficient cover to either grant an AC bonus or enable Hide checks ─ though your DM is free to decide on a situational basis that a sufficiently large (but not massive) tree does provide cover. From Rules Compendium on page 38:
Cover can be better or worse than described in Effects of Cover.

Urpriest
2010-12-11, 12:36 PM
Q403

Do any sourcebooks besides Unearthed Arcana contain racial paragon classes?

WinWin
2010-12-11, 01:23 PM
A403

Not that I am aware of. This handy link leads to Kobold Paragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060127a) though

Laharal
2010-12-11, 01:36 PM
''You can move up to half your normal speed and hide at no
penalty. When moving at a speed greater than half but less
than your normal speed, you take a –5 penalty. You can take
a –20 penalty on your Hide check to hide while attacking,
running, or charging.
If someone is observing you, even casually, you can’t hide.
You can run around a corner or behind cover so that you’re
out of sight and then hide, but the others then know at least
where you went.'' Rules compendium- Hide

''Action
Usually none. Normally, you make a Hide check as part of movement, so it doesn’t take a separate action. However, hiding immediately after a ranged attack (see Sniping, above) is a move action.''
PHB 76

Q404

Am I correct to assume that in the same round, I can attack, move away behind cover (corner, massive tree, etc) and at the end of my movement make an hide check (let's say undergrowth, barrels, etc).

Q404.5
''You can take a –20 penalty on your Hide check to hide while attacking''

Does ''while attacking'' mean in the same round? I-e. in my sequence described above, would the -20 apply?

Thanks in advance, some issues came up with this in my last game so I'd need a definite clarification :smallsmile:

Curmudgeon
2010-12-11, 02:02 PM
A 404 Yes.

If you can satisfy both Hide requirements (cover/concealment, and not being observed) you can make the check. Not being observed requires that you break line of sight at some point after attacking. Going through a square that provides total cover on the way will accomplish that. (If you end up in a square with total cover from all observers you won't have any need to Hde.) Or Hide in Plain Sight can remove that latter Hide requirement.

A 404.5

No, while attacking means exactly that: in the same action (because Hide normally does not have its own action). So you can only Hide while attacking if at the moment of the attack you also satisfy the two requirements to make that skill check. Typically that requires either Supernatural Hide in Plain Sight (such as given to Shadowdancers and Assassins) or Extraordinary HiPS with a companion ability (such as Camouflage) to remove the cover/concealment requirement (see the Ranger class abilities).

Your example would at most impose a -5 penalty to your Hide check if you moved more than half your speed in getting to your hiding place. You wouldn't be hidden until you make a superior Hide check at that point, and could be subject to attacks of opportunity or readied actions that require targeting you while on the way. (Being visually undetectable would prevent both AoOs and targeted spells or other effects.)

Defiant
2010-12-11, 03:41 PM
So, that means (ignoring/including the -5 for more-than-half movement) these following scenarios. Please tell me if I have them right (I've actually given up on understanding these hiding rules but I think I get them now).

Scenario 1:

Terrain: room with large pillars. My character is a rogue currently hidden around the corner. I shoot at a person 30 feet away - apply sneak attack. I then move to another place of cover - my movement places a pillar between myself and the enemy, granting total cover for a small part of my movement. I end my movement at a different pillar (granting regular cover) and make a hide check (winning the hide-spot game).

Assuming the enemy doesn't move or do anything, I am eligible for another sneak attack when I shoot (but only the first shot). If I want to make a hide check as part of this shot, it will require a move action (and the standard -20).

Assuming the enemy doesn't move or succeed in their spot check(s), I am eligible for another sneak attack when I shoot.

Scenario 2:

My character is a rogue/assassin (has HiPS) and has had "Blur" casted on him by the party wizard. The enemy knows he's there (no sneak attack - yet). I close in towards the enemy, and given that I have concealment (blur) and Hide in Plain Sight (Assassin), I make a hide check while moving, incurring a -20 penalty. The enemy fails their spot check against me, so I get a sneak attack.

I attempt to hide while attacking and win again at the hide-spot game. My turn is over, but the enemy doesn't know where I am (unless they expend a standard action to make another spot check), and I will be eligible for a sneak attack when I make another attack.

However, the enemy moves away during their turn. If I move from my spot, then I will lose my "hiding place". So I move towards them while hiding, incurring the -20 penalty (and possibly -5 too), and win again. I get a sneak attack.

This time, the enemy doesn't move away during their turn. I sneak attack melee, and hide (at -20). I win the hide game. I sneak attack again (using iterative and/or extra attacks), and hide (at -20). I lose the hide game. I attack without sneak attack bonus, and hide (at -20). I win the hide game. I sneak attack, and hide (at -20). I lose the hide game.

The enemy hasn't moved away. However, they're not flat-footed against me. So if I want to make another sneak attack, I can either move around a little and make a hide check at the end, or simply make an attack and make a hide check at the end (with -20).

Curmudgeon
2010-12-11, 07:07 PM
A 404 scenarios

Your understanding of Scenario 1 is correct. In Scenario 2, however, you haven't appreciated the full value of the Assassin's Supernatural Hide in Plain Sight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/assassin.htm#assassinHideinPlainSight) ability:
Hide in Plain Sight (Su)

At 8th level, an assassin can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, an assassin can hide himself from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind. He cannot, however, hide in his own shadow. You have no requirement for cover/concealment with this ability, as long as there's some sort of shadow within 10' of you. That includes the shadow from a pebble or blade of grass nearby, so essentially everywhere (as long as there's some light present) is a hiding place. The value of a spell like Blur is meager: you always have the -20 penalty to your Hide check while attacking (or running or charging), so Blur just gives a 20% miss chance if the enemy's Spot beats your Hide. At the level at which a Rogue/Assassin gains HiPS your skillful character can probably succeed on the check regardless.

Your enemy doesn't need to start out knowing you're there, as you can Hide with all your movement. (Hide requires no independent action, just a check piggybacked on particular allowed actions.) Outside of combat you can "take 10" on this constant Hde check. While the DM need do nothing if there's no enemy to provide a Spot check to oppose you, you'll almost certainly start out hidden when you do enter line of sight of any enemies.

When you move to pursue the enemy you still don't have a Hide penalty except perhaps for exceeding ½ your speed; again, all places are hiding places (absent pitch darkness or magically uniform shadowless lighting). As you move and Hide, your next attack will have the "visually undetectable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#invisible)" benefit (+2 to attack; enemy loses DEX bonus to AC). You will piggyback a Hide check on that attack (with a -20 penalty) to determine if you stay hidden. On a full attack you will make a Hide check with each attack, to either Hide or remain hidden. For the most part this check with each swing won't be opposed, but some feats or class features could allow the enemy to make AoOs when you attack. You'll want to stay hidden for all the following reasons:

to prevent attacks of opportunity;
to remain untargetable by all spells, in case some enemy has a readied action;
to gain the +2 "visually undetectable" bonus on each swing; and
to make your enemy lose their DEX bonus to AC, thus permitting sneak attack.
At the end of your full attack you can take a 5' step and piggyback a Hide check (with only the -5 penalty for moving the full 5' you're allowed) on that movement.

At no time in this scenario does the enemy become flat-footed after they act in combat. While they are denied their DEX bonus to AC every time your Hide exceeds their Spot, they still retain their ability to make attacks of opportunity ─ but only against opponents they can see, so generally that means your companions and not you. :smallsmile:

sreservoir
2010-12-12, 12:03 PM
Q 405

Is there any way for a cleric to gain arbitrary domains that are not on its deity's list? (specifically, trickery on a cleric of Mystra.)

Defiant
2010-12-12, 01:03 PM
404 Page Not Found
(ultra lame joke, yes)

Excellent! So to clarify things that I missed:

1) Hide in Plain Sight not only allows you to make a hide check while observed, but, for certain HiPS class features, it can also replace/provide its own source of cover/concealment for the hide requirements. In such a way, a level 8 Assassin could hide at any time whatsoever (basically) - since both hide requirements are met/unnecessary at all times (basically).

2) When you said "Blur just gives a 20% miss chance if the enemy's Spot beats your Hide", you meant if the enemy's spot beats my hide AND the enemy attacks me, right (unrelated to the hide-spot game)? There's no 20% miss chance on a spot check.

3) Entering line of sight to any enemies (to which you are hidden) does not break your hiding - only movement and attack does, which can be coupled along with a hide at the end of that action in order to preserve hidden status.

4) The -20 penalty applies to attacking, running, and charging. Not regular movement (i.e. full move action).

5) You are treated as Invisible to ALL character/creatures to which you are visually undetectable - despite not actually being "invisible" (see-through). As such, any opponent that cannot see you, whether it be due to the Invisibility spell or from a successful hide check, is denied DEX bonus to AC and you receive a +2 to attack against them.

6) Clarification requested: What do you mean

On a full attack you will make a Hide check with each attack, to either Hide or remain hidden. For the most part this check with each swing won't be opposed...

Does the enemy not get a (passive) spot check against you every time you hide? Or do they get just one per turn? (and thus the point of hiding with each check is to remain hidden, and to not be detected their next turn when they get another passive spot check)

7) Ah yes, oops to the "flat-footed" vs. "denied DEX to AC in regards to you".

Curmudgeon
2010-12-12, 01:04 PM
A 405

There are a couple of ways to get a domain temporarily. The Planar Touchstone feat (Planar Handbook), with a token from the Catalogues of Enlightenment planar location, will grant a domain for a year. A Domain Draught (Magic Item Compendium) will grant a domain for 24 hours.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-12, 01:25 PM
Continuing with 404

1) Mostly correct, but no Hide in Plain Sight provides cover/concealment. Some of them (the Supernatural ones) simply remove this requirement.

2) Yes, I meant if the enemy Spots you and then attacks you.

3) You've got that one wrong. Any action to which an enemy can make a reactive Spot check can "break your hiding". However, some of those actions, including moving and hiding, will allow you to piggyback a new Hide check so that (if your check is superior) you won't ever be seen.

4) Correct. Movement faster than ½ speed imposes its own, independent, penalty, though.

5) Close. Visually undetectable is for most purposes treated in the same way as being invisible. However, See Invisibility, True Seeing, and similar effects reveal invisible creatures but not hidden ones.

6) Reactive Spot checks can happen for any new event. However, there's a limit for the Spot skill (and also for Listen):
Trying to spot something you failed to see previously is a move action. If the enemy failed to make their reactive Spot check to see you as you combined your Hide check with your first attack, they don't get a new chance to Spot you until they can take a move action, which can only be done on their turn. Thus, given adequate skill, most of your Hide checks piggybacked on attacks in a full attack will not be opposed. Your DM has no obligation to tell you at that time if your check is superior ─ merely whether an individual swing hit; and so you may need to keep making those checks pro forma.

Defiant
2010-12-12, 01:38 PM

1) Yes, bad wording on my part.

3) Given the lack of RAW on this, I'm assuming "actions to which an enemy can make a reactive Spot check" is up to DM adjudication (save for the obvious ones like attacking and moving).

6) So then technically the only "important" hide check (i.e. the one you'd want to be as high as possible) is for your very last attack in your full attack action - in case the enemy tries using a move action to determine where you are.

However, you state that they don't get a reactive spot check for each attack within your full attack. Is this because the "full attack action" is only one action, and thus only grants one reactive spot check?

So if the character attacked with a standard action, the enemy would get only one reactive spot check, and if the character used a belt of battle to get another standard action and use it to attack, the enemy would get another one reactive spot check - 2 attacks, 2 spot checks (in this special situation). But if the character were to use 1 full attack action with 5 attacks within, there would only be 1 reactive spot check.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-12, 06:39 PM

However, you state that they don't get a reactive spot check for each attack within your full attack. Is this because the "full attack action" is only one action, and thus only grants one reactive spot check?
You've misunderstood the restriction here. The limitation is that if they fail to see you (fail to exceed your Hide check with their Spot), they don't get to retry that check (you in the same location taking the same action) again without using a move action; that's a limitation built into the Spot skill. If they had a superior Spot check on your first swing (i.e., they saw you), they would be allowed to keep making opposed Spot checks. Failing to see you is what causes them to need to use a move action to try again.
Trying to spot something you failed to see previously is a move action. Because of the vague term used, a DM could interpret this "something" as broadly as "that opponent" or as narrowly as "the same creature in the same location performing the same action". Regardless of the DM's wide or narrow interpretation, another swing of a full attack (same creature in the same location performing the same action as they Hide) must fall under the move action retry restriction for Spot.

Defiant
2010-12-12, 07:21 PM

I understand now.

I wish to thank you very much for taking me on this journey towards hide comprehension! :smallsmile:

Yaiamyai
2010-12-12, 07:42 PM
Q406

Specifically reguarding the Janni's change size ability:

Change Size (Sp)
Twice per day, a janni can magically change a creature’s size. This works just like an enlarge person or reduce person spell (the janni chooses when using the ability), except that the ability can work on the janni. A DC 13 Fortitude save negates the effect. The save DC is Charisma-based. This is the equivalent of a 2nd-level spell.

What is the duration of the effect? The entry does not specify a caster level. The janni is a 6hd creature, so would we use 6 as the CL?

Also, if a janni is summoned by summon nature's ally VI and then either dissmissed or runs out of duration before the change size duration ends, what happens to the change in size?

Runestar
2010-12-12, 08:18 PM
Q406

Specifically reguarding the Janni's change size ability:

What is the duration of the effect? The entry does not specify a caster level. The janni is a 6hd creature, so would we use 6 as the CL?

Also, if a janni is summoned by summon nature's ally VI and then either dissmissed or runs out of duration before the change size duration ends, what happens to the change in size?
If no caster lv is stated, assume caster lv = creature's racial HD.

When a creature is unsummoned, the duration of all spell effects generated by it end.

From the SRD (or PHB section under magic overview: summoning),

When the spell that summoned a creature ends and the creature disappears, all the spells it has cast expire. A summoned creature cannot use any innate summoning abilities it may have, and it refuses to cast any spells that would cost it XP, or to use any spell-like abilities that would cost XP if they were spells.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-12, 08:19 PM
A 406

You would use the caster level specified for the Janni's other Spell-Like Abilities: caster level 12th. Some monsters with SLAs have CL=HD, and some have CL=2*HD.
When the spell that summoned a creature ends and the creature disappears, all the spells it has cast expire.
Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name. The Change Size effect ends immediately.

Vistella
2010-12-13, 08:51 AM
Q407
if someone gets hit by a languor spell 2 times in a round (one quickened and one normal), does the str-penalty stack?
(note: talking about the complete divine version, not the spellcompendium one)

Q407b
and what about the above scenario but with the poison spell? does the con-damage stack?

Runestar
2010-12-13, 08:56 AM
Q407
if someone gets hit by a languor spell 2 times in a round (one quickened and one normal), does the str-penalty stack?
(note: talking about the complete divine version, not the spellcompendium one)

Q407b
and what about the above scenario but with the poison spell? does the con-damage stack?

Penalties from the same source do not stack (only the best one will apply), but penalties from different sources do stack (source is either in rules compendium or FAQ).

I am not familiar with this languor spell, but to assuming it does give a str penalty like ray of enfeeblement, then no.

Stat damage always stack, so yes.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-13, 09:20 AM
Penalties from the same source do not stack (only the best one will apply), but penalties from different sources do stack (source is either in rules compendium or FAQ).
It's actually in the Player's Handbook on pages 171-172. Here's the abridged version from the SRD:
Stacking Effects

Spells that provide bonuses or penalties on attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, and other attributes usually do not stack with themselves. More generally, two bonuses of the same type don’t stack even if they come from different spells (or from effects other than spells; see Bonus Types, above).

Vistella
2010-12-13, 09:30 AM
but the languor spell talks about a cumulative penalty (as it gets applied each round again). does that cumulative then only count for the spell it comes from or other spells too which give a penalty?
that was more the question :)

Curmudgeon
2010-12-13, 09:51 AM
but the languor spell talks about a cumulative penalty (as it gets applied each round again). does that cumulative then only count for the spell it comes from or other spells too which give a penalty?
I'll start by noting that the Languor spell in Complete Divine is unavailable in a campaign where any part of Spell Compendium is used, so the question is likely to be irrelevant in most games. The Spell Compendium updated version doesn't have this issue.

But to answer your question, penalties from one instance of a spell, even if applied in different rounds, all come from one source. They would stack with other effects that apply penalties.

Vistella
2010-12-13, 11:07 AM
I'll start by noting that the Languor spell in Complete Divine is unavailable in a campaign where any part of Spell Compendium is used, so the question is likely to be irrelevant in most games. The Spell Compendium updated version doesn't have this issue.thats why i made the note in the post with the question as our current game doesnt use the SC

But to answer your question, penalties from one instance of a spell, even if applied in different rounds, all come from one source. They would stack with other effects that apply penalties.
so thats a yes or a no to stacking?
(english isnt my primary laguage, keep it as simple as possible :P)

Defiant
2010-12-13, 11:08 AM
That's a "no", it doesn't stack with itself (but it would stack with other spells that do the same thing).

Vistella
2010-12-13, 11:30 AM
so it doesnt even add another penalty each round if just one languor is on the target?
kinda doubt that as it seems stupid to add that part (applied each round) then at all

and is it the same source even if a spell gets cast a second time?
cause by the definition of "itself" spell1 doesnt stack with spell1 but does stack with spell2 (even if its the same cast again), no?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-13, 12:35 PM
so thats a yes or a no to stacking?
(english isnt my primary laguage, keep it as simple as possible :P)
That's a yes, if it's from one instance of the Languor spell.

Vistella
2010-12-13, 12:50 PM
That's a yes, if it's from one instance of the Languor spell.

erhm, but the original question was about a second languor casted in which case it would be a second instance of it. so under normal rules it wouldnt stack (same effect) but the spell is talking about cumulative penalties, which means they stack.
but the interesting thing to know now is if the cumulative means it only stacks with itself or if it also means that it stacks with other penalties too

Curmudgeon
2010-12-13, 01:12 PM
erhm, but the original question was about a second languor casted in which case it would be a second instance of it. so under normal rules it wouldnt stack (same effect) but the spell is talking about cumulative penalties, which means they stack.
Defiant already gave the correct answer for that question. I just added a note about the peculiarities of this individual spell. So here's how the stacking rules combine.

Languor spell instance Q and Languor instance N don't stack together; you get the greater penalty from each spell. You keep track of the cumulative total penalty (separately for each spell) and each round the penalty is the greater of Languor Q and Languor N. Independently, Strength penalties from other effects get added to whichever Languor penalty is current, to yield the total Strength penalty the subject experiences.

Vistella
2010-12-13, 01:16 PM
ah ok, now i get it
interpreted what Defiant said abit differant

sorry if i seem abit dense^^

Rasman
2010-12-15, 06:05 AM
Q408
Does the DR from Barbarian Levels stack with the DR from an Adamantine Breastplate?

Runestar
2010-12-15, 06:22 AM
Q408
Does the DR from Barbarian Levels stack with the DR from an Adamantine Breastplate?

Sadly, no. Dr from different sources never stack (unless explicitly stated otherwise). You simply use the better of the 2.

Rasman
2010-12-15, 06:28 AM
lame...good to know though, thanks

DeltaEmil
2010-12-15, 06:35 AM
Q 409

Can Solid Fog be dispelled with Dispel Magic? If yes, is it dispelled instantly, or would the fog remain at least 1 round?

Kaww
2010-12-15, 08:04 AM
A409

It can be dispelled. It disappears right after the dispel check was successful, as if it's duration expired. For a spell not to be subject to dispel magic it must state so in it's description.

WarKitty
2010-12-15, 09:43 AM
Q410

When can "aid another" checks me made? Specifically,

(a) When making a spellcraft check for a crafted magic item check, may another caster not possessing the requisite crafting feat make an aid another check?

(b) When making knowledge rolls, can each person make a check to aid the other as well as making their own check?

bokodasu
2010-12-15, 10:26 AM
A410

a) No. Under the Aid Another rules: "In cases where the skill restricts who can achieve certain results you can’t aid another to grant a bonus to a task that your character couldn’t achieve alone."

I don't know if there is a RAW answer to b.

Q411

If a druid wildshapes into something with the "Swallow Whole" attack, swallows a number of enemies, and then changes to a smaller form, what happens to the swallowed creatures?

I am just nothing but questions today...

Q412

Is the bonus provided by the Tome of Understanding (&co.) an untyped bonus?

Demons_eye
2010-12-15, 12:53 PM
Q:413 A. Am I right in understanding the base price of first level scroll is 25 gp?

B. Making this scroll cost half or 12.5 gp?

C. If you have the Extraordinary Artisan feat it cost 9.375 gp?

Kaww
2010-12-15, 12:56 PM
A412

Inherent bonus - just read the item's entry in DMG.

Kaww
2010-12-15, 01:01 PM
A413 A

Most of them are 25gp, yes.

B

The price for scribing a scroll is 1/2 market price of the scroll.

C

I am not familiar with the feat, but if it is applicable to any/all item creation feats I see no reason for scribe scroll to be an exception.

bokodasu
2010-12-15, 01:11 PM
Dang, I was hoping "inherent" wasn't a type, but I see now that it is. Thanks.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-15, 01:33 PM
A 411
Any gear worn or carried by the creature that can’t be worn or carried in its new form instead falls to the ground in its space. I see no reason why "gear" in the form of carried creatures should be an exception to this rule. That does lead to an interesting consequence for the Druid, though:
Ending Your Movement: You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless. The Druid who swallowed whole while in wild shape would be required to move after reverting to original form as the previously swallowed creature(s) would also be occupying the space.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-15, 01:44 PM
A 410 b) No.
Try Again: No. The check represents what you know, and thinking about a topic a second time doesn’t let you know something that you never learned in the first place. You can't make two Knowledge checks for the same piece of information, regardless of the circumstances. So you have to decide if you're going to check independently, or Aid Another ─ which comes with restrictions of its own.
In cases where the skill restricts who can achieve certain results you can’t aid another to grant a bonus to a task that your character couldn’t achieve alone. This means firstly that you can't use Aid Another for a Knowledge check without training in that particular skill; and secondly that your Aid Another contribution stops for DCs higher than you could achieve if you rolled a 20.

Koury
2010-12-15, 03:51 PM
Dispute A 411

I'm sorry, but I don't see that answer as correct. Reasonable for a houserule, certainly, but not RAW correct.

My main issue with that answer is that creatures who are Swallowed Whole are in no way items or gear. They don't even lose actions. I see nothing saying that you should treat them as gear.

Defiant
2010-12-15, 04:02 PM
Dispute A 411

I'm sorry, but I don't see that answer as correct. Reasonable for a houserule, certainly, but not RAW correct.

My main issue with that answer is that creatures who are Swallowed Whole are in no way items or gear. They don't even lose actions. I see nothing saying that you should treat them as gear.

He's drawing a parallel. When there are no rules for something, use something similar.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-15, 05:32 PM
Q 414

What ToB material (maneuvers, stances, maybe class features and PrCs?) work with bows and other projectile weapons?

I'm aware of the extensive homebrew for these things, but I want to know what works out of the book by RAW. If this seems too broad I might take it elsewhere, but I'm asking here because I don't expect the list to be particularly long.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-15, 05:32 PM
Re: Dispute A 411

My main issue with that answer is that creatures who are Swallowed Whole are in no way items or gear.
I never called swallowed creatures "items", merely "gear". This term doesn't have a D&D definition. (There is, however, a note to distinguish gear from clothes, which don't count against encumbering weight; see Player's Handbook, page 24. The Swallow Whole (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#swallowWhole) special ability also doesn't mention encumbrance.) Lacking D&D-specific rules I consulted the dictionary definition, which is broad enough to fit. Hence, the most relevant rules source I could find to address the question.

Perhaps you can cite another part of the RAW which fits better, if you think my answer was inadequate?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-15, 05:46 PM
A 414

You'll note that the subtitle for Tome of Battle is The Book of Nine Swords, so this book's emphasis is on melee combat. I've found very few aids to projectile weapon fighting.

The Devoted Spirit Vanguard Strike works with ranged as well as melee attacks.
Setting Sun Ghostly Defense stance gives an ally a boost to ranged attacks, but only against foes adjacent to you.
While the Bloodstorm Blade prestige class is focused on ranged attacks, the class doesn't grant any new maneuvers or stance, nor does its class features rely on them. It's also aimed at thrown, not projectile, attacks.

Stegyre
2010-12-15, 05:54 PM
The bottom line appears to be that there is no RAW answer.

However, I cannot imagine the proposed manuever ending at all well for the druid. :smallamused:

abadguy
2010-12-15, 11:05 PM
Q 415a

By RAW, does the feat Battle Blessing (Complete Champion) allow you to cast paladin spells gained from good Pious Templar (PrC, Complete Divine) as swift actions, following the restrictions of the feat?

Feat Description

Battle Blessing
You can cast spells more quickly than usual in the heat of battle.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast paladin spells.
Benefit: You can cast most of your paladin spells faster than normal. If the spell normally requires a standard action, you can cast it as a swift action. If it normally requires a full round to cast, you can cast it as a standard action. Spells with longer or shorter casting times are not affected by this feat.

Pious Templar
Spells per Day: .... a good pious templar uses the paladin spell list...

Q 415b
By RAW, if a Paladin/Pious Templar gains levels in another PrC (for e.g Ruby Knight Vindicator) that grants "+1 to divine spellcasting class", could the player choose to add those levels to alternate between advancing his Pious Templar and Paladin casting? i.e every time he gains a RKV level, he can choose between advancing Pious Templar or Paladin casting

Q 415c
Say the player who used his RKV levels to advance his Pious Templar spellcasting later levels in Pious Templar again, what spellcasting advancement does he follow?
e.g Paladin 5/Pious Templar 2/RKV 4, he used his RKV levels to advance spellcasting for Pious Templar 3 levels. If he goes Paladin 5/Pious Templar 2/RKV 4/Pious Templar 1, does he gain spells as per Level 3 or Level 6?

Koury
2010-12-16, 01:51 AM
Re A 411
He's drawing a parallel. When there are no rules for something, use something similar.

I never called swallowed creatures "items", merely "gear". This term doesn't have a D&D definition. (There is, however, a note to distinguish gear from clothes, which don't count against encumbering weight; see Player's Handbook, page 24. The Swallow Whole (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#swallowWhole) special ability also doesn't mention encumbrance.) Lacking D&D-specific rules I consulted the dictionary definition, which is broad enough to fit. Hence, the most relevant rules source I could find to address the question.

Perhaps you can cite another part of the RAW which fits better, if you think my answer was inadequate?

The bottom line appears to be that there is no RAW answer.

However, I cannot imagine the proposed manuever ending at all well for the druid. :smallamused:
No, I can not cite another part of RAW which fits better. That does not change the fact that your answer was, at best, a (very reasonable) houserule.

I don't mind houserules being suggested for cases like this which (I believe) lack any RAW answer. I just want them labled as such. :smallsmile:

Curmudgeon
2010-12-16, 02:02 AM
Re: A 411

No, I can not cite another part of RAW which fits better. That does not change the fact that your answer was, at best, a (very reasonable) houserule. I have to dispute your "fact" assertion, I'm afraid. While you might quibble about carried characters being labeled "gear", they do fit within the broad dictionary definition of the term, and the rule I cited about alternate form and gear is RAW and not a house rule.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-16, 02:19 AM
A 415a Yes.

A good Pious Templar uses the Paladin spell list, and Battle Blessing speeds up the casting of most Paladin spells.

A 415b Yes.

At every level of a prestige class which grants "+1 level of <type> spellcasting class" you can choose to advance any class which fits (absent any specific restrictions in that PrC's class description). Just keep track of the individual levels you advance.

A 415c

Paladin 5/Pious Templar 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 4/Pious Templar 1, with RKV levels used to advance Pious Templar spellcasting, would have the spellcasting of a Pious Templar of level 6. That's 3 (nonsequential) levels of Pious Templar directly, and 3 divine spellcasting levels advanced in 4 levels of Ruby Knight Vindicator. (All other Pious Templar characteristics would be the level 3 norms.)

DeltaEmil
2010-12-17, 06:51 AM
Q 416

Can Iron Heart Surge be used to break free when you're paralyzed or immobilized with Hold Person and similar effects that prevent you from moving (and in this case, acting)?

bokodasu
2010-12-17, 07:21 AM
Q417

Magic item pricing: If I have, say, a Hat of Disguise, and I want to add a +2 to Int enchantment on it, that should cost 2^2 * 1000 * 1.5 (for adding another ability); if I decide to make a new belt of Int +2 instead, that should cost 2^2 * 1000 * 1.5 (wrong body slot affinity). Correct?

Part B: If I later decide to enchant my belt with +2 to Str, that costs another 2^2 * 1000 * 1.5 (for adding another ability); but if I'd done the Str enchantment first I'd only have to pay the x1.5 on the Int enchantment? (Or am I now paying x2 on the Int enchantment; 50% for a second enchantment and 50% for wrong body slot?)

Kaww
2010-12-17, 08:04 AM
A416

Yes.

Kaww
2010-12-17, 08:12 AM
Q417

Magic item pricing: If I have, say, a Hat of Disguise, and I want to add a +2 to Int enchantment on it, that should cost 2^2 * 1000 * 1.5 (for adding another ability); if I decide to make a new belt of Int +2 instead, that should cost 2^2 * 1000 * 1.5 (wrong body slot affinity). Correct?

Part B: If I later decide to enchant my belt with +2 to Str, that costs another 2^2 * 1000 * 1.5 (for adding another ability); but if I'd done the Str enchantment first I'd only have to pay the x1.5 on the Int enchantment? (Or am I now paying x2 on the Int enchantment; 50% for a second enchantment and 50% for wrong body slot?)

A417

Part A is ok.

Part B: if you add str to existing belt of int - 2^2*1000*1.5((for adding another ability).

I'm not sure of this one tho - If you add int to belt of str - 2^2*1000*1.5(for adding another ability)*1.5(wrong slot).

OMG PONIES
2010-12-17, 08:13 AM
A416 correction: No.

Iron Heart Surge requires a standard action to initiate. Per the text of Hold Person, a target who fails their save cannot take any actions until they save (as noted below):

It is aware and breathes normally but cannot take any actions, even speech. Each round on its turn, the subject may attempt a new saving throw to end the effect. (This is a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.)

When it comes to other effects that bestow the paralyzed condition, keep in mind the following:

A paralyzed character is frozen in place and unable to move or act. A paralyzed character has effective Dexterity and Strength scores of 0 and is helpless, but can take purely mental actions.

While some may argue that Iron Heart Surge is a "purely mental action," this is not the case, as per Tome of Battle.

To initiate a maneuver or stance, you must be able to move.

Awetugiw
2010-12-17, 08:14 AM
Q418. Can a large creature squeeze to occupy only 2 squares if there are no obstacles to "squeeze through"?

If not, can a large creature squeeze with only allies as obstacles?