PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XV

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Serpentine
2011-01-06, 08:13 AM
So potions and magic item abilities would be okay, scrolls are not okay, and wands and staves... might be?
Why'd I have to go and ask the ambiguous questions :smallsigh: Because if they weren't I wouldn't have to ask them, I guess...
Thanks for the help.

Stegyre
2011-01-06, 01:55 PM
506, further

I'm going to partially disagree with Curm. on this one. It looks to me that Curmudgeon's first sentence is correct:

Activating magic items is never a spell-like ability unless the item's description specifically says so (and I don't know of any such cases).
For example, DMG p. 213 seems explicit in that even activating a scroll is not casting a spell. Rather, it triggers an AoO "as casting a spell does."

The distinction persists in standard actions: "cast a spell" is one type of standard action, and "activate magic item" is another. Yet another standard action that appears pertinent is "use special ability," which incudes SLAs.

The explicit RAW answer to the question, "Does activating a magic item - wand, scroll, potion, rod, staff, etc - count as 'cast(ing) a spell or us(ing) a... spell-like ability'?" is No: they are three different types of standard actions.

But the real question is whether the Rakshasa could "activate magic item" without interupting his/her/its detect thoughts.

I may be wrong, but I think the description of the Concentration skill gives the answer:

You must make a Concentration check whenever you might potentially be distracted (by taking damage, by harsh weather, and so on) while engaged in some action that requires your full attention. Such actions include casting a spell, concentrating on an active spell, directing a spell, using a spell-like ability, or using a skill that would provoke an attack of opportunity.
So each of the bolded actions is one that "requires your full attention," and the implication is that they would bar another activitity that also "requires your full attention": without some express exception, you can't do two of these things at the same time.

But here's a kicker:

In general, if an action wouldn’t normally provoke an attack of opportunity, you need not make a Concentration check to avoid being distracted.
So again, implication, if it doesn't trigger an AoO, it does not require your full concentration.

In other words, a Rakshasa should be able to maintain its detect thoughts as long as it did not take one of the standard actions that "requires full attention," with such actions generally defined as those that "trigger an AoO."
Okay, one may argue that means that trip attempts, etc., "require full attention." I would say that the "require full attention" activities are those that trigger AoOs by performing a distracting act, while the special attacks trigger AoOs by moving.
That's my RAW read. The point may be debated, but at least I've shown my work.

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-06, 03:23 PM
Q507

Which melee weapon does the most base damage and if there's a tie, which one has the highest critical chance and or goodies (trip, reach etc.)?

Urpriest
2011-01-06, 03:25 PM
Q507

Which melee weapon does the most base damage and if there's a tie, which one has the highest critical chance and or goodies (trip, reach etc.)?

Q507 Clarification: Do size increases count?

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-06, 03:37 PM
Q507 Clarification: Do size increases count?

Not really, I'm looking for just pure base damage for a medium character. Then, if it has extra goodies like the charge rules for a lance etc. that's a bonus.

Keld Denar
2011-01-06, 03:46 PM
A 507 Suprisingly, the Unarmed Strike is probably the highest damage weapon. Its not hard to get up to 20 effective monk levels, and as a part time natural weapon, you can take Improved Natural Attack to boost it by another size.

Other than that, I think the A&EG (a 3.0 source, but mostly unupdated) had the Fullblade, a 2d8 Exotic weapon. Outsite of that, I don't think there are any medium sized melee weapons over 2d6. At 2d6, there are quite a few. Greatsword, Jovar, Dwarven Longaxe, Executioner's Mace, etc. Also, 1d12 weapons, when increased in size, would be treated as a 2d6 weapon (1d12 goes to 3d6), so that would include Greataxes and other 1d12 weapons.

Mystamir
2011-01-06, 05:08 PM
Q - 508

Regarding the Warmage's Warmage Edge ability, how would I apply it to:

508 a: Fireshield Would the effect happen more than once, and would it continue to be applied round by round?

508 b: Wall of Fire Would the effect happen to multiple targets? What if someone else runs through the wall late in the round?

508 c: Flame Arrow Is it applied to one arrow each round, only 1 arrow ever, or all the arrows fired in one round?

--
Myst the lovable fog

cd4
2011-01-06, 05:19 PM
Q509

If I take levels in a Prestige class advancing manouvers can I upgrade any of my previous manouvers gained like a crusader/warblade/swordsage at the right levels can?

OMG PONIES
2011-01-06, 05:40 PM
A508: In answering the following, there are two important things to note about warmage edge:

A single spell can never gain this extra damage more than once per casting.
If a spell deals damage for more than 1 round, it deals this extra damage in each round.

To summarize those two statements, the first damage roll of the spell each round receives the extra damage. The examples given confirm this--fireball applies the extra damage to all targets, while only the first missile of a magic missile benefits from the extra damage. To apply this specifically:

A508a: The extra damage would apply to the first creature that attacks you each round during the spell's duration.
A508b: The way I read, the first incident that causes damage (getting too near or passing through) each round would receive the extra damage.
A508c: Going by the magic missile example in Complete Arcane, it seems that only one arrow would benefit from your warmage edge.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-06, 05:52 PM
A 509

You get only the multiclass benefits specified. Typically these include maneuvers known, but not any other of the features of the base class. So you would not gain the ability to learn a new maneuver in place of one you'd previously learned unless you actually took the necessary level in the base martial adept class.

sreservoir
2011-01-06, 06:18 PM
Q 510

Do metamagicked versions of known spells count as known spells? Specifically, for the purposes of Uncanny Forethought.

Douglas
2011-01-06, 06:24 PM
Q509

If I take levels in a Prestige class advancing manouvers can I upgrade any of my previous manouvers gained like a crusader/warblade/swordsage at the right levels can?
By RAW, no. I am almost completely certain RAI is yes, however, due to how PrC maneuver progressions compare to the base class progressions and how non-overwhelming the PrC class features generally are.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-06, 07:39 PM
A 508 c [correction]

While I accord with OMG PONIES on the other two answers, I believe the correct answer for this sub-question is none. Flame Arrow isn't a spell which deals hit point damage; instead, it's a spell which enhances arrows. It's the arrows that hit and do hit point damage, through a non-spell attack mechanism. Warmage Edge is restricted strictly to spells which deal hit point damage.

Ilmryn
2011-01-06, 09:54 PM
Q 511
If you use two shields(one on each arm) what benefits would you get? Would you just get the ac bonus of the best shield?

Q 512
Oriental adventures has a few armor items that can be worn in addition to normal armor and stacks with it. Can these items be enchanted, and would those bonuses stack with normal armor?

Defiant
2011-01-06, 09:58 PM
A 511

Bonuses of the same type do not stack.

If you wear two shields, each provides a shield bonus to AC. However, those shield bonuses do not stack, and so you only get the highest bonus.

stainboy
2011-01-06, 10:14 PM
Q 513

Do magic weapon special abilities that grant bonus damage stack? Can a character make a +2 Flaming x2 Greatsword? What about a +2 Flaming Shock Greatsword?

Derjuin
2011-01-07, 12:20 AM
Q 514

Would using Polymorph Any Object to turn a Pseudodragon into a Great Wyrm Force Dragon result in PAO lasting 2 weeks, forever, or is it impossible to do the above?

Sallera
2011-01-07, 12:44 AM
A507 addition

The Sugliin, from Frostburn, is a 2d8 reach weapon (if a rather impractical one).

A513

You can't stack the same enchantment, but different ones work fine.

A514

Polymorph Any Object "functions like Polymorph," which cannot change a subject into a form with more HD than it has, and makes no mention of a change to that requirement, so the transformation would be impossible unless attempted on a pseudodragon with sufficient class levels. Assuming that requirement was met, the duration would be one week (+5 same kingdom, +2 same class).

Kaww
2011-01-07, 05:54 AM
Q 515

Where do I find rules for melee/ranged attack into grapple? I thought it was PHB and I went through the book but I couldn't find it...

I may be wrong, but was it 50% chance to hit the right target?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-07, 07:16 AM
A 515

It's a 50% chance to hit the right target, for ranged attacks only, if there are just two grapplers. The rules are in two places in the Player's Handbook ─ the Improved Precise Shot feat
Benefit:
In addition, when you shoot or throw ranged weapons at a grappling opponent, you automatically strike at the opponent you have chosen.

Normal: See the normal rules on the effects of cover and concealment. Without this feat, a character who shoots or throws a ranged weapon at a target involved in a grapple must roll randomly to see which grappling combatant the attack strikes. ─ and Table 8–6: Armor Class Modifiers, note under "Defender is Grappling (but attacker is not)" for ranged attacks
3 Roll randomly to see which grappling combatant you strike. That defender loses any Dexterity bonus to AC.

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-07, 08:11 AM
Q 516

Are there any feats or classes (except Hellfire warlock) that boost a warlock's eldritch blast damage?

Kaww
2011-01-07, 08:55 AM
A 515

It's a 50% chance to hit the right target, for ranged attacks only, if there are just two grapplers. The rules are in two places in the Player's Handbook ─ the Improved Precise Shot feat ─ and Table 8–6: Armor Class Modifiers, note under "Defender is Grappling (but attacker is not)" for ranged attacks

Thanks, I thought there was a melee one too...

sreservoir
2011-01-07, 01:45 PM
Q 517

are there any abilities which allow psionic powers to become arcane or divine spells?

cd4
2011-01-07, 01:49 PM
Q518

Is there anyway to boost to hit except from the standard BAB, Strength (or another stat), Enhancement to weapons?

Q519

With the crown of the white raven and similar items, my reading of the description is that you get the manouver at the start of the day and can use it once per round for the rest of the day. This does not seem right so can someone prove me wrong?

Zherog
2011-01-07, 02:10 PM
Q518

Is there anyway to boost to hit except from the standard BAB, Strength (or another stat), Enhancement to weapons?

A 518 partial

There's plenty.

A marhsal's auras can apply. (No books in front of me, but I believe it's a morale bonus)
A bard's inspire courage ability grants a morale bonus to attacks and damage.
A bard's inspire greatness ability grants a competence bonus on attack rolls.
A pale green ioun stone grants a +1 competence bonus on attack rolls (and other stuff)
The bless spell grants a +1 morale bonus.

And there's almost certainly dozens of other spells, a handful of other magic items, and probably another handful of class abilities.

Gnaritas
2011-01-07, 02:20 PM
Q519

With the crown of the white raven and similar items, my reading of the description is that you get the manouver at the start of the day and can use it once per round for the rest of the day. This does not seem right so can someone prove me wrong?

It works once per encounter.
Choosing a different maneuver would need you to re-attune to the item for 24 hours. You cannot somply choose one at the start of day.

zagan
2011-01-07, 03:20 PM
A518 Suite

This list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144321) should be able to help you.

Stegyre
2011-01-07, 03:52 PM
It works once per encounter.
Choosing a different maneuver would need you to re-attune to the item for 24 hours. You cannot somply choose one at the start of day.
A 519 Correction

It gives the character one maneuver known. (ToB p. 149, effects.)

The benefit of knowing a manuever depends upon whether the character has ToB levels or not. Non-ToB characters may use all maneuvers known once per encounter (not per round, as the questioner supposes). (ToB p. 38.) ToB characters include the new manuever with their other manuevers, and may select it as one of their maneuvers readied or (for Crusaders) a manuever that may be granted. (Id.)

sreservoir
2011-01-07, 03:59 PM
...and another one. (psst 510)

Q 520

What classes exist have 9th-level spells in ten levels?

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-07, 05:04 PM
...and another one. (psst 510)

Q 520

What classes exist have 9th-level spells in ten levels?

A 520

The Ur-Priest (BoVD and more recently Complete Divine), Apostle of Peace (BoED), and Divine Crusader (Complete Divine) are the only three that I know of.

cd4
2011-01-07, 05:05 PM
Q521

Does the Natural Armour from Tortoise Shell (CDiv) stack with Giant Size Natural Armour (CArc)?

Lateral
2011-01-07, 05:52 PM
Q 522 Do untyped bonuses stack? Both in general and, specifically, the +30 to Bluff given by the Glibness spell.

Stegyre
2011-01-07, 05:56 PM
A 522
Untyped bonuses always stack, unless they are from the same source. (E.g., two glibness spells would not give you twice the bonus.)

sreservoir
2011-01-07, 08:07 PM
Q 523

What is a divine crusader's caster level? Does it default to "equal to your class level in the class you’re using to cast the spell" as stated on PHB p171?

dextercorvia
2011-01-07, 08:11 PM
A 520, addition

Sublime Chord from CArc gets up to 9th level spells. Also Blighter from CDiv.

dextercorvia
2011-01-07, 08:17 PM
A 510

No. However, since you are casting the spell spontaneously, you may apply metamagic on the fly, just as a cleric spontaneously casting a cure spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#metamagicFeats).

Curmudgeon
2011-01-07, 08:19 PM
A 521 Yes.

The Giant Size spell grants a natural armor bonus. The Tortoise Shell spell grants an enhancement bonus to natural armor. Natural armor bonus and enhancement bonus are different bonus types (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifierTypes); they stack.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-07, 08:24 PM
A 523

Yes, the Divine Crusader's class level is their caster level.

Greenish
2011-01-07, 09:15 PM
Q 511
If you use two shields(one on each arm) what benefits would you get? Would you just get the ac bonus of the best shield?

Q 512
Oriental adventures has a few armor items that can be worn in addition to normal armor and stacks with it. Can these items be enchanted, and would those bonuses stack with normal armor?A511 ADDITION
If you wear two shields, you benefit from the higher shield bonus to AC, and higher enhancement bonus to shield AC (for example, if you have a +1 tower shield and a +5 buckler, you would get +9 to AC, +4 from the tower shield, and +5 from the buckler's enhancement). Both would apply their other enhancements (if, say, the tower shield was +1 heavy fortification tower shield).

A512 ADDITION
The flat enhancement bonus on them wouldn't stack with the one from normal armour, but the specific enhancements (for example, greater fortification or silent moves) would.

Q524
Could a Cleric with Magic domain use Eternal Wands? (I'm pretty sure this has been asked and answered before, but there are way too many Q&A threads to dig through.)

dextercorvia
2011-01-07, 09:46 PM
A 524
No. Eternal Wands are Activation: Command, not Spell Trigger or Completion.

GeminiVeil
2011-01-07, 10:12 PM
Q525
Is there any kind of roll involved in seeing if you recognize a written/spoken language that you don't know? Not to actually know what is written/spoken, just which language is used? Or is it just assumed automatic?

Koury
2011-01-07, 10:25 PM
RE: A 524

Can't anyone use eternal wands?

dextercorvia
2011-01-07, 10:29 PM
RE: A 524

Can't anyone use eternal wands?

Any arcane caster.

Koury
2011-01-07, 10:34 PM
RE: A524

:smallconfused: Where does that restriction come from?

Command WordIf no activation method is suggested either in the magic item description or by the nature of the item, assume that a command word is needed to activate it. Command word activation means that a character speaks the word and the item activates. No other special knowledge is needed.

A command word can be a real word, but when this is the case, the holder of the item runs the risk of activating the item accidentally by speaking the word in normal conversation. More often, the command word is some seemingly nonsensical word, or a word or phrase from an ancient language no longer in common use. Activating a command word magic item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Sometimes the command word to activate an item is written right on the item. Occasionally, it might be hidden within a pattern or design engraved on, carved into, or built into the item, or the item might bear a clue to the command word.

The Knowledge (arcana) and Knowledge (history) skills might be useful in helping to identify command words or deciphering clues regarding them. A successful check against DC 30 is needed to come up with the word itself. If that check is failed, succeeding on a second check (DC 25) might provide some insight into a clue.

The spells identify and analyze dweomer both reveal command words.

dextercorvia
2011-01-07, 10:36 PM
RE: A524

:smallconfused: Where does that restriction come from?

The description of Eternal Wands in the MIC.

Koury
2011-01-07, 10:39 PM
Ah, well there's my problem. :smallbiggrin:

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-07, 10:40 PM
A 525

There's nothing in the rules that cover that sort of thing.

GeminiVeil
2011-01-07, 10:43 PM
A 525

There's nothing in the rules that cover that sort of thing.

Dang, was hoping I just missed it. k thanks.

sreservoir
2011-01-08, 12:01 PM
Q 526

What psionic prestige classes have +1 manifester level at 1st level?

Tenebris
2011-01-08, 01:17 PM
Q 527
I qualify for Soulcaster PRC with Incarnate 1lvl, Sorcerer, Open Least Chakra spell, and shape soulmeld feat. Can I (after 3rd lvl of Soulcaster, when I gain Chakra Binds(crown, feet, hands) class feature) swap the sorcerer's spell that I used to qualify for this PRC normally? I mean any time when I gain an even numbered sorcerer's CL?

FYI, build will be Sorcerer 1, Incarnate 1, Binder 1, Anima Mage 9, Soulcaster 8.

WarKitty
2011-01-08, 03:32 PM
Q 528

Is there a way to make a single weapon or weapon type bypass the common types of damage reduction? This is for a character with weapon focus and other weapon-specific feats. Primarily concerned with damage type based reduction (e.g. slashing).

Tavar
2011-01-08, 04:32 PM
A 528

Well, there's an enchantment in the Magic Item Compendium that allows your weapon to adapt to a damage resistance type after your first hit.

sreservoir
2011-01-08, 05:51 PM
Q 529

Is "innate" defined in any D&D sourcebooks which could be antecedent to Supernatural Transformation (Savage Species)?

ffone
2011-01-08, 06:15 PM
Q530

If you are under the effects of Invisibility and Mirror Image, can a character with See Invisibility see you but distinguish between you and the mirror images?

ffone
2011-01-08, 06:22 PM
Q531

Is you are using a Fly spell and knocked unconscious, do you fall? The spell confers 'good' maneuverability, which allows hovering, but I don't know if hovering is 'passive' in that sense. The spell also says " Using a fly spell requires only as much concentration as walking, so the subject can attack or cast spells normally. "

Curmudgeon
2011-01-08, 06:29 PM
A 529

Innate is defined in the dictionary:
in·nate
–adjective

1. existing in one from birth; inborn; native: innate musical talent. The term is used primarily in D&D to refer to those characteristics not learned (i.e., not arising from class levels).

Edit: Specifically regarding Supernatural Transformation, the FAQ has this to say:
Can a warlock qualify for the Supernatural Transformation feat (SS 39) and change one of his invocations into a supernatural ability?
No. The warlock’s spell-like abilities are learned (from class levels), not innate (that is, part of his racial traits).

dextercorvia
2011-01-08, 06:31 PM
A 527 Yes. The spell exchange is part of the spells class feature which gets advanced by PrC's, and you can use a PrC's own abilities to continue to qualify for it.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-08, 06:32 PM
A 531 Yes.

Fly requires little concentration, but it does require some; when you're unconscious you can't concentrate on any spell. You will fall as if under the effect of Feather Fall, as that's the described end for the Fly spell.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-08, 06:35 PM
A 530 Yes.

See Invisibility makes you visible as a translucent outline, which is outside of the described characteristics of Mirror Image. If you want to be indistinguishable from your Mirror Images, you need to not be invisible.

Ksheep
2011-01-08, 10:47 PM
Q 132

What is the damage type of Blade Barrier? The description of the spell states that the daggers formed are made of force, but it doesn't say what sort of damage is done. Is one to assume that it is acting as daggers and therefore doing piercing and/or slashing, or that it's force, or some combination thereof, or is it just typeless damage?

Runestar
2011-01-08, 10:50 PM
Q 132

What is the damage type of Blade Barrier? The description of the spell states that the daggers formed are made of force, but it doesn't say what sort of damage is done. Is one to assume that it is acting as daggers and therefore doing piercing and/or slashing, or that it's force, or some combination thereof, or is it just typeless damage?

It's just magic damage, and this cannot be reduced in any way. :smallsmile:

Rasman
2011-01-09, 08:08 AM
Q 133.

Are Monks considered proficient with special "Monk" weapons that aren't listed in their Weapon and Armor Proficiency Class Feature description, such as the Cestus, Hanbo, Bich’hwa, Temple Sword, etc.

Yora
2011-01-09, 11:29 AM
A 533: By RAW, no. They are not listed in the Monk class description.

Vistella
2011-01-09, 11:39 AM
Q534
what are some nice (and ofc evil :xykon:) things you can do with a knowledge (nature) score of 45+?

Psyren
2011-01-09, 11:43 AM
Q534
what are some nice (and ofc evil :devil) things you can do with a knowledge (nature) score of 45+?

Find the exact location of a Blighter in the campaign world, become his apprentice, and commence deforestation. (Finding a specific member of a PrC is a DC 30 Knowledge check of the relevant subdiscipline.)

Curmudgeon
2011-01-09, 02:01 PM
A 534 additional

With the Knowledge Devotion feat (Complete Champion) such a check will give you +5 to attack and damage against all of the following:

animals
fey
giants
monstrous humanoids
plants
vermin

Re'ozul
2011-01-09, 02:01 PM
Q 535

Since I am bad at search functions.
Does samage labeled as bleed stack?
I.e. an attack does 1d4 bleed (be it ability or hp) would two succesful attacks mean that the creature then bleeds 2d4 per round (until saved against)?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-09, 02:19 PM
A 535

Damage always stacks unless there's a specific exception.

ffone
2011-01-09, 03:36 PM
Q536

Ethereal Jaunt says "You become ethereal, along with your equipment" (and most other going-ethereal effects like the monk and ninja class features usually refer back to EJ or have similar clauses).

If a character is currently 'wearing' stuff they don't want to 'take with them', such as a thrown net they were entangled in, manacles they are cuffed in, or heavy armor that was forcibly put on them to confer arcane spell failure percentage, can they choose to have the stuff say material and 'slip out of it' by going ethereal? Or does it stay on them?

(Assuming that the stuff doesn't inhibit going ethereal at all - the spell is Stilled, or it's a supernatural ability like the monk/ninja's.)

yldenfrei
2011-01-09, 06:45 PM
Q537
Amanuensis.
Does it require the caster to have a line of sight to the words being copied? Can it copy text from sealed letters and closed books? Is there a way to speed up the 250 words/minute copying rate?

Q538
Combining Three Songs.
Using the Combine Songs feat via War Chanter/Seeker of Song combo, do I need to have all three songs start at the same time? While performing, can I stop any one song at will? If I start a performance combining two songs, can I add in a third one in a later round?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-09, 07:40 PM
A 536

The spell provides no capabilities beyond what's in its description. "Your equpment" is inclusive, so you keep the net and manacles with you.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-09, 07:47 PM
A 537

Yes, you must have line of sight to all parts of the text to be copied; "You point at the writing" makes that clear. So no, Amanuensis cannot copy anything where you cannot see the writing; you'll have to turn pages if the source is in a book, for instance. There's no way to speed up Amanuensis directly, but you could have multiple instances of the spell operating on different parts of the text if multiple source parts can be seen simultaneously.

Zaq
2011-01-09, 08:10 PM
Q 539

When under the effects of a Speak with Animals spell, do you use Diplomacy, Handle Animal, both, or neither to try to convince an animal to do something for you?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-09, 08:24 PM
A 539

Unless you're considering plans involving months of preparation, Diplomacy is the only appropriate skill to convince someone verbally. Handle Animal is limited to commanding an animal to perform a task or trick that it's been trained for, or to "push" it to do something that can be accomplished on its next action. If the animal hasn't been trained, Handle Animal can be used to train the animal over a number of weeks for one task, and that's the limit of what that skill can accomplish.

Adrayll
2011-01-09, 10:28 PM
Q540 Is there a feat that can give you the benefits of Strongheart Vest?

dextercorvia
2011-01-09, 10:45 PM
A 540
Shape Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest

yldenfrei
2011-01-10, 12:11 AM
Q541
Swift Action as Standard/Move Action
After performing a swift action, can you trade your standard or move action to perform another swift action?
If such is allowed, can you then make a total of 3 swift actions in exchange for both your standard and move actions?

This questions comes from the Swift action description saying it "consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action".
I have a feeling this will be countered by the quote "You can perform only a single swift action per turn." But I thought that was specifically put there to differentiate it from free action.

Oh, and sorry if this was already asked. I couldn't find any in the search results ^_^

Runestar
2011-01-10, 12:41 AM
Q541
Swift Action as Standard/Move Action
After performing a swift action, can you trade your standard or move action to perform another swift action?
If such is allowed, can you then make a total of 3 swift actions in exchange for both your standard and move actions?

This questions comes from the Swift action description saying it "consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action".
I have a feeling this will be countered by the quote "You can perform only a single swift action per turn." But I thought that was specifically put there to differentiate it from free action.

Oh, and sorry if this was already asked. I couldn't find any in the search results ^_^

There is currently no provision in the 3e rules for you to trade a move or standard action into extra swift actions.

Arcane spellsurge (complete mage? Dragon magic?) however, seems to suggest that you cannot trade down.

Yora
2011-01-10, 03:23 AM
Until now I was pretty sure you can do a second swift action in place of a standard action. Can't say where I got this impression, however.
But Making a second swift action in place of a move action could easily be exploited, and is most probably out.

Hadessniper
2011-01-10, 04:02 PM
Q542

Slight Build: The physical stature of kobolds lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a kobold is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the kobold is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A kobold is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A kobold can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a kobold remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.

Does the Slight Build racial feature allow kobolds to treat medium creatures as two size categories larger than themselves for the purpose of feats such as Giantbane, Underfoot Combat, and Confound The Big Folk?

Keld Denar
2011-01-10, 04:05 PM
A 542 Yes. Kobold's are effectively 2 sizes smaller than a medium creature, and thus the medium creature is effectively 2 sizes larger, as it is most advantageous for the kobold.

Needs more Blade Bravo...

Curmudgeon
2011-01-10, 04:14 PM
A 542 [correction] No.

None of those feats* involve (special) size modifiers for opposed checks, nor do they involve squeezing, or weapons of a smaller size. Those are the only benefits of Slight Build.

* - The Unsteady Footing option of Confound The Big Folk does involve an opposed check, for a trip attempt. However, the option to be treated as one size smaller would never be beneficial to the user of this feat.

Stegyre
2011-01-10, 05:38 PM
Until now I was pretty sure you can do a second swift action in place of a standard action. Can't say where I got this impression, however.
But Making a second swift action in place of a move action could easily be exploited, and is most probably out.

A 541 correction
Arguably, one can, indeed, "trade" a standard action for a swift action:

Rules Compendium updates possible actions that may be prepared with the "Ready" action to include "a standard action, a move action, a swift action, or a free action." RC at 110. So you simply "ready" an action to be used "right now!"

This somewhat contradicts the description for Swift Actions (same book), that you are limited to one per turn. RC at 8. But I would take the Swift Action description as the "general rule" and the Ready maneuver to be the "specific rule," and specific trumps general, by RAW. RC at 5.

sonofzeal
2011-01-10, 05:50 PM
Q 543
Is there a RAW list of variant Paladin Special Mounts anywhere?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-10, 06:16 PM
Re: A 541

Arguably, one can, indeed, "trade" a standard action for a swift action
You can perform a swift action whenever that's allowed.

This somewhat contradicts the description for Swift Actions (same book), that you are limited to one per turn. RC at 8.
There's no contradiction; this limit is independent of what you can do with the Ready action. For instance, normally you would be able to Ready to cast a standard action spell. But if you had no spells available to cast for the rest of the day that independent limitation would prevent such an action. Ready cannot remove limits imposed by other parts of the rules.

But I would take the Swift Action description as the "general rule" and the Ready maneuver to be the "specific rule," and specific trumps general.
The Ready action rule existed before swift actions were created, so you've got the general and specific backward. Swift and immediate action spells impose a specific limit of no more than one such spell per round.

Stegyre
2011-01-10, 06:43 PM
The Ready action rule existed before swift actions were created, so you've got the general and specific backward. Swift and immediate action spells impose a specific limit of no more than one such spell per round.
Ready action pre-existed swift and immediate actions, it's true, but Ready has also been specifically updated to address those actions (at least, swift actions) in the RC. Compare the RC language with the SRD language (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready).

You make valid arguments for which rule is general versus specific, but these arguments are not determinative. This is a basic problem with WotC's order of rules application syllogism.

Practically speaking (althought this now goes beyond RAW discussion), it's hard to see a reason for the restraint you're proposing: standard actions are typically the most powerful a character may have, at least compared to swift actions. The chief virtue of a swift action is that it's something you may do and still have your standard and/or full action. (E.g., a swift teleport effect followed by a full attack.)

Answer me this, for the sake of a game balance assessment: when is a second swift action ever better than a standard action?
(Alternately phrased: what can you do with a swift action that you cannot do with a standard action?)

OMG PONIES
2011-01-10, 06:50 PM
Q543:

Must a readied action be based on an external action, or can it be readied on a personal action, like "perform action X when I say Y?"

Re: A541 discussion

I ask my question above because I don't think you can ready an action with "right now" as its condition, but I don't know.

Zherog
2011-01-10, 06:56 PM
A 543

Readying an Action: You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.

So, you specify the action ("cast spell X") and you specify the condition that must be met for you to take that action. There are, it would seem, no rules on who/what must/may initiate the action. As best as I can tell from reading the rules, you can say, "I ready an action to cast spell X for when Bob casts his spell." And you can just as readily say, "I ready an action to cast spell X when I say, 'Woohoo!'"

Stegyre
2011-01-10, 07:00 PM
A 543
Slightly updated text from RC:

You can ready a standard action, a move action, a swift action, or a free action. To do so, you must specify what you want to do and the conditions under which you will do so. Then, any time before your next turn, you can take the readied action in response to those conditions. The action occurs just before whatever triggers it. If the triggering condition is part of another creature’s activities, you interrupt that creature’s turn. Assuming the interrupted creature is still capable of doing so, it continues its turn once you complete your readied action.

There's your text. While you may set the conditions for something that may (or may not) occur later, no limitation is placed on the conditions.

Further, in some circumstances (such as the CPsi power Synchronicity) you don't even need to specify the conditions.

Gnoman
2011-01-10, 07:15 PM
Q 544

A player in my game has the class feature Insightful Strike, which adds his character's INT bonus to damage against characters without immunity to critical hits. He also has Penetrating Strike, which allows him to deal half his sneak attack dice even against immune targets under certain conditions. Does this allow him to retain his Insightful Strike bonus under those conditions?

Sillycomic
2011-01-10, 07:30 PM
Q 545

How do you know an item is Masterwork?

I have never been asked for a particular check, as far as I know anytime I find a masterwork weapon or piece of armor, the GM just tells me, this is masterwork.

Do random adventurers just know the difference between a masterwork longsword and a regular longsword?

sonofzeal
2011-01-10, 07:36 PM
A 545

Appraise check would handle it. DC 12, but even a failure gives you a pretty solid indication. So... it's pretty much a freebie.

Q 543 (repeat)

I'm looking for a list of variant RAW Paladin Special Mounts.

PS: there's now apparently two Q543's, but mine came first so nyeh. =P

Curmudgeon
2011-01-10, 07:43 PM
Answer me this, for the sake of a game balance assessment: when is a second swift action ever better than a standard action?
(Alternately phrased: what can you do with a swift action that you cannot do with a standard action?)
Let's see:

You can cast a spell that doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity.
You can initiate a martial maneuver or stance that requires a swift action (more than 60 of those in Tome of Battle).
You can activate a magic item that requires a swift action (more than 160 of those in Magic Item Compendium).
You can trigger a wand or staff containing a swift action spell, or complete a swift action spell from a scroll.
Many Clerical Devotion feats can only be triggered by a swift action.
Basically anything that specifically requires a swift action can't be done via a standard action.

Ksheep
2011-01-10, 07:45 PM
A 545
Masterwork items are of higher quality than normal items, and they will typically look it. Masterwork items will typically display intricate designs inscribed on them, inlay, or some other decorative fluffery, as opposed to the rather stark, utilitarian design of non-masterwork items. It stands to reason that anyone could notice this quite easily at a glance, and therefore really wouldn't have a check.

sonofzeal
2011-01-10, 07:52 PM
A 545
Masterwork items are of higher quality than normal items, and they will typically look it. Masterwork items will typically display intricate designs inscribed on them, inlay, or some other decorative fluffery, as opposed to the rather stark, utilitarian design of non-masterwork items. It stands to reason that anyone could notice this quite easily at a glance, and therefore really wouldn't have a check.
Counter-argument - at least one legacy weapon is specifically described as looking "unfinished", and several others are described in very plain, stark terms, and yet these weapons all count as masterwork (and generally magical), even without completing the legacy rites.

But... a masterwork longsword is worth 315 gp, while a plain one is worth 15 gp. From the Appraise skill:

Failure means that you estimate the value at 50% to 150% (2d6+3 times 10%,) of its actual value.
...so there's no possibility of confusion, even if you fail your check, unless it's made of some exotic material or has something else to boost the price significantly. Generally speaking, if an Appraise check gives you anything between 150 and 450 gp, success or fail, you've probably got a masterwork weapon on your hands.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-10, 08:12 PM
A 545

There's no guarantee that the superior quality of a masterwork item will be visible to the unaided eye; the difference could be solely at the microscopic level in the composition of the metal.
Masterwork Weapons

A masterwork weapon is a finely crafted version of a normal weapon.

Masterwork Armor

Just as with weapons, you can purchase or craft masterwork versions of armor or shields. Such a well-made item functions like the normal version, except that its armor check penalty is lessened by 1. You might be able to discern statistically that a weapon is better by comparing how often you hit with it compared to a standard weapon of the same type. Similarly, you might be able to notice the difference in ACP if you tried repeatedly to swim in armor.

For a more reliable answer with most weapons, an Appraise check with a value over 150 gp will either indicate that the weapon is masterwork, or made of valuable materials that you somehow failed to see. (You'll need at least some training in Appraise, because a failure to make your DC 12 Appraise check with no training means you'll never be able to use the skill on that item.) There could be ambiguity with some weapons, such as composite bows designed for higher Strength ratings, where the base price my vary by more than the additional cost for masterwork construction. This holds as well for heavier armors; the difference in cost of masterwork construction is only +10% of the base price for full plate.

The only fully reliable method I know is to attempt to enhance a (possibly) masterwork item with magic. Success indicates that the item was indeed masterwork.

sonofzeal
2011-01-10, 11:58 PM
Q 543 (last try)

I've got a lvl 8 Paladin, and I'm looking into options besides Heavy Warhorse. I keep hearing about Paladin Mounts like Hippogriff, or even smaller Dragons, but I can't find the rules for that. Where do I need to look for RAW rules on gaining unusual Paladin Special Mounts?

Lord.Sorasen
2011-01-11, 12:21 AM
A 543

Dungeon Master's Guide, Page 204. It's in the text (bottom right side about) but it's not really indicated.

Q 546

What are the exact requirements to taking class levels? I see "3+ int" stated, but I don't see that rule actually stated anywhere. Is it simply when the monster manual entry says "by class level?" Or is there more to it than this?

classy one
2011-01-11, 01:12 AM
Q547
Is there an item or relic that allows you detect possession?

Thurbane
2011-01-11, 01:42 AM
A 546

The exact rules seem to be spread out a little in the SRD section on improving monsters: http://dndsrd.net/improvingMonsters.html

Level Adjustment: This entry is a modifier to the base creature’s level adjustment. Any level adjustment is meaningless unless the creature retains a high enough Intelligence (minimum 3) to gain class levels after applying the template.

...also...

Level Adjustment and Effective Character Level: To determine the effective character level (ECL) of a monster character, add its level adjustment to its racial Hit Dice and character class levels. The monster is considered to have experience points equal to the minimum needed to be a character of its ECL.

If you choose to equip a monster with gear, use its ECL as its character level for purposes of determining how much equipment it can purchase. Generally, only monsters with an Advancement entry of “By character class” receive NPC gear; other creatures adding character levels should be treated as monsters of the appropriate CR and assigned treasure, not equipment.

...this indicates that creatures other than those with "by character class" can indeed take class levels, although it is indicated that these are generally the exception to the rule.

Thurbane
2011-01-11, 01:55 AM
A 547

None that I can find...the only similar ability I am aware of is that granted by the 3rd level of the Witch Slayer (PrC) called Locate Possession.

yldenfrei
2011-01-11, 02:36 AM
Q548
Shock and Awe and Flat-footedness
What is the ideal situation to use Shock and Awe? Does the spell allow the caster to specify which among the targets in range get to be affected?
How exactly does flat-footedness function before a combat begins? Are people talking to each other while at-ease considered flat-footed?

Sample scenario: Wizard A and Wizard B are talking to each other, together with Fighter A. Suddenly, Wizard A casts Shock and Awe at Wizard B.

Will Wizard A be allowed the surprise action, or do they have to roll initiative?
In the event that Wizard A manages to be the first one to act, will his Shock and Awe affect Wizard B?
Can Wizard A choose whether or not to have Fighter A be affected as well?

zagan
2011-01-11, 07:22 AM
Q549

Do Ravage (BOED p34-35) work on undead creature ? The description say that it work even against creature immune to poison and that undead take an additional point of damage from them. But undead are immune to thing that require fort save and immune to ability damage for physical ability score.
I'm talking specifically about Unicorn Blood in this case.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-11, 09:02 AM
A 548

Yes, Shock and Awe allows you to specify targets; that's what "Targets:" in the spell descriptor means. As for flat-footedness, all characters are flat-footed before they've acted in combat (barring specific exceptions like a Scout's uncanny dodge). When you cast an attack spell outside of combat timing, you have precipitated the switch to combat timing. It is possible that one or more targets of your attack might have prepared a response (such as a readied action). Since all parties are aware of each other, but perhaps not aware of hostile intent, it's up to the individual DM to decide if anyone is surprised. If no one is surprised you roll initiative (adjusted as appropriate) and proceed with combat actions. As Shock and Awe only works in a surprise round, if the DM decides that there is no surprise then the spell has no effect other than to initiate combat. If the DM decides that there is a surprise round, then you and anyone else who is not surprised rolls initiative (adjusted as appropriate) and proceeds in order.

The ideal situation for use of Shock and Awe is always one where the spellcaster has not been perceived by the intended targets, and all such targets are within the spell's range. A situation such as you described (where it's up the individual DM judgment whether there will be a surprise round at all) is not ideal.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-11, 09:30 AM
A 549

Ravages are not poisons, but still require a failed Fortitude save to take effect. Generally, undead are immune to effects that require a Fortitude save, and thus ravages don't normally work on them. However, you can reduce an undead's protections in this regard with the Spark of Life spell (Libris Mortis, page 71) and thereafter a ravage will affect that undead if it fails its Fortitude save.

zagan
2011-01-11, 09:40 AM
Okay thanks for the clarification.

Zieu
2011-01-11, 11:06 AM
Q 550

What does SAD stand for?

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-01-11, 11:15 AM
A 550

SAD is a fan term that means “Single Ability Dependency.” It refers to a class whose abilities are derived almost entirely off of one ability score. Wizard (Intelligence), Cleric (Wisdom), and Sorcerers (Charisma), are all examples of SAD classes.

Contrast with MAD, which stands for “Multiple Ability Dependency”. Monk is the classic example of a MAD class, as it requires Wisdom for ki abilities, and good physical scores for its combat role.

Naturally, SAD classes tend to be stronger than MAD ones because they only need one high ability score to be good at their jobs. A MAD class, on the other hand, will generally only be good at one small portion of its job and mediocre at the rest of it.

Derjuin
2011-01-11, 12:18 PM
Q 551

Are monks considered to be "wielding" their unarmed strikes, for the purposes of things like, say, Dervish Dance ("A dervish may only perform a dervish dance while wielding a slashing weapon")?

OMG PONIES
2011-01-11, 12:45 PM
A551: Yes.

You are considered to be "wielding" an unarmed strike, which is a bludgeoning weapon. I know it wasn't actually part of your question, but a monk would be unable to use Dervish Dance with unarmed strikes unless they took a feat like Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHB II).

Derjuin
2011-01-11, 01:07 PM
A551: Yes.

You are considered to be "wielding" an unarmed strike, which is a bludgeoning weapon. I know it wasn't actually part of your question, but a monk would be unable to use Dervish Dance with unarmed strikes unless they took a feat like Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHB II).

Most excellent, thank you! :smallsmile:

Lateral
2011-01-11, 05:42 PM
Q 552 What book is the Mindbender from?

Ksheep
2011-01-11, 05:51 PM
A 552
Complete Arcane, Page 54

RaggedAngel
2011-01-12, 01:29 AM
Q 553
I'm playing a Truenamer, RAW. I am attempting to play the class without any homebrew, and without any dipping into other classes.

Other than Skill Focus, the Amulet of the Silver Tongue, and boosting my intelligence, how can I increase my Truespeak modifier? I've managed to make my character decent, but the campaign is getting higher in levels, and my Truespeak modifier does not scale well with the DC's.

Runestar
2011-01-12, 05:59 AM
Q 553
I'm playing a Truenamer, RAW. I am attempting to play the class without any homebrew, and without any dipping into other classes.

Other than Skill Focus, the Amulet of the Silver Tongue, and boosting my intelligence, how can I increase my Truespeak modifier? I've managed to make my character decent, but the campaign is getting higher in levels, and my Truespeak modifier does not scale well with the DC's.

Spells like heroism/greater heroism grant morale bonuses to skill checks; see if you can request for buffs from your party caster.

Item familiar (UA) could work as well.

Universal aptitude utterance (+5 aptitude bonus)

Polymorph into a lokogrim devil for +10 racial bonus (if you are somehow an outsider)

A masterwork tool grants a +2 circumstance bonus.

Get a wand of divine insight (or potions) to UMD.

Luckstone - +1 luck bonus

Improvision (bard1), spell compendium

Just the few that come to mind at the moment.

Dziadek
2011-01-12, 09:07 AM
Q. 554:

What rules are being used, when some kind of effect (magical or other) reduces Player Character's inteligence to animalistic levels (namely: 1 or 2)?

Does the DM in that case take control of said PC- and make it act like an animal- or does a player simply have to act accordingly?

Or is it a very flexible rule- one that has to be determined by the DM in advance?

Q. 555:

What to do when Player Character is a subject of the 'Modify Memory' spell?
Is there a deafult anwser to that question, or should it be counted as a homebrew rules discussion? (because I have a few ideas how to resolve that- just want to know what are the alternatives)

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-01-12, 10:11 AM
A 554 & A 555

These issues are entirely up to how each individual group wants to run its game. As such, they are not Simple, nor do they possess RAW answers. These sort of things would make a good detailed discussion, though. (Especially the modify memory one.) So, I recommend starting up a new thread for each of the questions.

hereyago
2011-01-12, 05:49 PM
Q: 556

Are there rules (and where are they please) governing the interaction of potions and other (non-potion) liquids? Specifically I want to know if there are RAW issues with adding some poison to my potions. (I have a caracter concept in mind of a mage who's immune to poison and poisons his own potions so other people can't steel them.)

Runestar
2011-01-12, 06:14 PM
Q: 556

Are there rules (and where are they please) governing the interaction of potions and other (non-potion) liquids? Specifically I want to know if there are RAW issues with adding some poison to my potions. (I have a caracter concept in mind of a mage who's immune to poison and poisons his own potions so other people can't steel them.)

Closest thing I can find is this wotc article.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b

Hope that helps.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-12, 06:25 PM
Closest thing I can find is this wotc article.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b

Hope that helps.
Note: That's an April Fool's online article, and should be treated accordingly.

Pugfeathers
2011-01-12, 06:42 PM
[B]Q Iam playing a barbarian in 3.5, and have a couple of questions. Does St and the +2 to will stack each level like the Con stat or is it a one time bonus.
Also if at the end of a rage when the con bonus hp leave the character what happen if the new hp score is low enough to be leathal?

Thanks

Thom

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-12, 06:52 PM
[B]Q Iam playing a barbarian in 3.5, and have a couple of questions. Does St and the +2 to will stack each level like the Con stat or is it a one time bonus.
Also if at the end of a rage when the con bonus hp leave the character what happen if the new hp score is low enough to be leathal?

Thanks

Thom

A 557 (Please number your questions).

I'm not very clear on your first question, but if you are asking whether the boost to strength and will saves is multiplied by the barbarian's hit dice, then no, they are not. The fact that the increase to hit points goes up with level is a function of the constitution stat rather than the Rage ability, since the constitution modifier is always explicitly multiplied by hit dice to determine hit points. There is no such multiplicative rule for strength, strength bonuses, or will saves, so the boosts provided by the Rage ability are always the same until you get Greater Rage or Mighty Rage.

At the end of the barbarian's rage he loses the hit points that came with the constitution boost. If this causes his hit points to reach -10, he will indeed die.

Obahai
2011-01-12, 08:15 PM
Q558

If a monk takes the exotic armor proficiency for the gnome twist cloth, can the monk use the twist cloth without penalty?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-12, 08:22 PM
A 558 No.

Regardless of the qualities of any actual armor, the Monk's class abilities suffer when wearing such. Items which do not occupy the armor body slot can be used by Monks without problems, even if they provide an armor bonus; examples include Bracers of Armor and Robe of the Archmagi.

Gnoman
2011-01-12, 08:58 PM
Q 544

A player in my game has the class feature Insightful Strike, which adds his character's INT bonus to damage against characters without immunity to critical hits. He also has Penetrating Strike, which allows him to deal half his sneak attack dice even against immune targets under certain conditions. Does this allow him to retain his Insightful Strike bonus under those conditions?
Anypne have an answer to this?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-12, 09:03 PM
A 544 No.

Penetrating Strike allows an exception only for sneak attack damage, and has no benefit for anything other than sneak attack .

mucco
2011-01-12, 09:23 PM
Q559

If a dragon dies and is resurrected, thus losing a Racial HD, does it step back age categories? If so, when? If not, is it then possible to have a 1 HD Colossal dragon with 20 hp?

Lateral
2011-01-12, 09:59 PM
Q 560 If I have a Shadowcraft Mage, would Practiced Metamagic allow me to have free metamagic on a Silent Image which I use the Shadowcraft Mage's 3rd level ability on?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-12, 10:03 PM
A 559

Yes, a creature that advances by racial hit dice will drop back to whatever characteristics are appropriate when it loses hit dice. The change is immediate when the hit dice are permanently lost.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-01-12, 10:05 PM
Q600

Would benefits that deal additional damage of the same type stack? for instance, weapon afire (pyrokineticist) and a flaming burst weapon?

Lateral
2011-01-12, 10:08 PM
Q600

Would benefits that deal additional damage of the same type stack? for instance, weapon afire (pyrokineticist) and a flaming burst weapon?

A 561 (that's what it should be)

Yes, unless they're from the same or a basically identical source. Those two would stack, but two Flaming Burst enhancements wouldn't, nor would a Flaming enhancement and a Flaming Burst enhancement.

Runestar
2011-01-13, 01:10 AM
Q559

If a dragon dies and is resurrected, thus losing a Racial HD, does it step back age categories? If so, when? If not, is it then possible to have a 1 HD Colossal dragon with 20 hp?

I suppose so, you can do something similar with energy drain. It would make sense for the dragon to suddenly wake up and find itself younger.

However, one way of looking at this is that the dragon does not actually become younger, it is merely treated as being of a younger age category for purposes of determining its stats.

yldenfrei
2011-01-13, 03:58 AM
Q 562
Area and Effect
Dance of Ruin's description states Area: Spread centered around caster, with the effect of "all non-demon creatures within the area take xdx points of damage".

If the caster is non-demon, does the spell damage him as well?

EDIT:
Q 563
Belt of Ultimate Athleticism (MIC p75)
Does is allow you to take 10 every time you want on Balance, Climb, Jump, Swim and Tumble? I read something like "When you activate the belt" but there's no mention of how many times per day. (Well, there is a mention for once per day, but that's for imitating a roll of 20 on the said skill checks.)

Kaww
2011-01-13, 04:21 AM
A562

Yes, he is in the area and a non-demon.

Thurbane
2011-01-13, 05:37 AM
A 563

Activating the belt for it's "take 10" usage is a swift action, that keeps it active for 1 round (unlimited times/day). If you have already used a swift or immediate action in a round, or are otherwise denied a swift action, you cannot activate the belt.

yldenfrei
2011-01-13, 05:57 AM
A562
Yes, he is in the area and a non-demon.

Curses! I knew there'd be a caveat when I found it in BoVD. 2d20 damage for a Bard 2 spell sounded too good. :smallsigh:

Anyways, thanks to everyone for answering my questions! And we know I asked quite a handful recently. :smallbiggrin:

Lateral
2011-01-13, 07:50 AM
Q 562 continued: I'm curious now. What if the caster is a half-demon?

Q 560 restated: I never got an answer. If I have a Shadowcraft Mage, would Practiced Metamagic allow me to have free metamagic on a Silent Image which I use the Shadowcraft Mage's 3rd level ability on?

Essence_of_War
2011-01-13, 09:55 AM
Q 564

Is a warlock allowed to take the feats:

1. Empower Spell-like ability
2. Maximize SLA
3. Quicken SLA

and apply them to his eldritch blast? The reason I'm asking is that in Eldritch Blast's description it says that it:

"...is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal to 1/2 the warlock's class level (rounded down), with a minimum level of 1 and a maximum of 9th when a warlock reaches 18th level or higher"

But in the feat descriptions, the srd gives a chart of the caster level required to apply meta magic to an N-th level SLA. The chart is here:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm
for reference.

Have I missed something, or does eldritch blast just not work at all with these feats?

Edit: Thanks! Indeed I did miss something, namely the errata :smallsmile:

Tasroth
2011-01-13, 09:59 AM
A 564

The Complete Arcane errata changed it so eldritch blast is always treated as equivalent to a 1st-level spell. Therefore, those feats can be used, assuming the prerequisites are met.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-13, 10:02 AM
Re: Q 564

Eldritch Blast doesn't say that, because you've failed to read the Complete Arcane Errata:
Page 7: Eldritch Blast
Second paragraph of the Eldritch Blast ability description:
Change “An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal to one-half the warlock’s class level (round down), with a minimum spell level of 1st and a maximum of 9th when the warlock reaches 18th level or higher” to “An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell. If you apply a blast shape or eldritch essence invocation to your eldritch blast (see page 130), your eldritch blast uses the level equivalent of the shape or essence.”
Any other references to eldritch blast being something other than the equivalent of a 1st-level spell should be disregarded.
Any other references claiming that eldritch blast is not an invocation should be disregarded.
A warlock can use eldritch blast at will.

Kaww
2011-01-13, 10:26 AM
Q 562 continued: I'm curious now. What if the caster is a half-demon?

If I'm not mistaking the template makes you outsider native, thus not a demon, thus head still hurts when you do it...

Phoenixblood20
2011-01-13, 11:39 AM
Q565: Does the death of a spells caster cause it to end prematurely?

Duke of URL
2011-01-13, 11:47 AM
A 565

No. Unless the spell requires the caster to concentrate on it or the spell description explicitly states that it does (most shape-altering spells, for example, explicitly state that the caster reverts to his natural form if killed).

There are some spells that affect the caster as part of an ongoing effect; depending on the type of effect, the caster may not be affected by the effects after he dies.

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-13, 11:48 AM
Q566

Is there a blood domain for clerics (and other people who happens to use domains) and if yes, where can I find it?

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-01-13, 12:17 PM
A567
I am unaware of any Blood domain from official WotC sources. However, Living ENWorld (http://bluwiki.com/go/Living_ENWorld:Domains#Blood_Domain) has one.

Essence_of_War
2011-01-13, 02:13 PM
Q 568

Are there any restrictions on applying multiple metamagics to a warlock's eldritch blast SLA?

For example, could a 10th level warlock apply Empower SLA, Maximize SLA, and Quicken SLA to his Eldritch blast freely (as long as he hadn't hit the 3/day limit on any of those three)?

Essence_of_War
2011-01-13, 02:18 PM
Q 569

Could a 12th level Warlock with the Quicken SLA - Eldritch Glaive feat and the Eldritch Glaive invocation, use a Quickened Eldritch Glaive and a regular Eldritch Glaive in the same round to make 4 melee touch attacks (+9/+4 and at +9/+4 BAB)?

Duke of URL
2011-01-13, 02:22 PM
A 568

By RAW, no, there is no restriction on stacking meta-SLA feats.

A 569

Yes, yes he can. Note that the quickened eldritch glaive could only have a maximum of an ESL 2 essence applied to it. Also note that the Quicken SLA feat can apply to eldritch blast generally, not specifically the eldritch glaive shape.

Essence_of_War
2011-01-13, 02:28 PM
Q 570- follow up to 569

Ooo I just re-read Eldritch Glaive.

Since Eldritch Glaive is a blast shape, does the warlock need the feat "Quicken SLA - Eldritch Blast" or "Quicken SLA - Eldritch Glaive" to quicken this ability.

Duke of URL
2011-01-13, 02:36 PM
A 570

As I alluded to in A 569, the feat required is Quicken Spell Like Ability (Eldritch Blast). Eldritch Glaive is not a spell like ability in and of itself, it is a modifier to the Eldritch Blast spell-like ability.

Mordrigar
2011-01-13, 03:52 PM
Q 571: Do unnamed bonus from same resources stack with each others?

a) For example, Extra Turning bonus from Nightstick (Libris Mortis) Do you get +4 turning attempts for every item that you possess?

Q 572: Dweomerkeeper (Complete Divine Web Appendix: More Divinity (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a)) prestige class has the ability to turn spells into supernatural abilities at tenth level. Do you still have to pay that spell's (Like Miracle, Wish, Limited Wish, Gate or else) xp cost while using them as (SU) ?

Douglas
2011-01-13, 04:08 PM
A571

Unnamed bonuses from the same source do not stack. It is a reasonable interpretation for two Nightsticks to each be considered a separate source, however, which would make them stack. Additionally, the wording of the Nightstick item does not actually use the word 'bonus' anywhere, so it is also a reasonable interpretation that it's not technically a bonus and the bonus stacking rules don't apply, which would also make them stack. There might be an argument against RAW stacking, but I'd have to recheck the exact text to try to come up with one.

A572

That class ability explicitly removes all components from the spell. XP costs are considered components. Thus, a Dweomerkeeper can cast these spells without spending XP by using that ability.

tyckspoon
2011-01-13, 04:18 PM
A 571

Normally, no. Bonuses from the same source do not stack, regardless of whether or not they are typed. There are 2 caveats to watch out for, however: are the bonus-stacking rules actually relevant to the subject, and does the specific item offer a direct exception. I expect Curmudgeon will be along soon to give more clarification on the topic, but in short, Turn Undead uses are not ruled by the Bonus Stacking rules and so it doesn't matter that you're using a billionty Night Sticks.

The other thing is specific exceptions- Night Sticks don't actually grant Extra Turning, they just directly give you more Turn Undead uses, but if they did they would still stack, because Extra Turning allows you to take it and benefit from it multiple times.

A 572
No. SLA and SU versions of spells do not have any components, XP or otherwise, unless the specific SLA/SU ability says otherwise (the Archmage SLA, for example, states that you must still pay any XP/Focus/costly material costs.)

Thurbane
2011-01-13, 07:09 PM
Q573

The Soul Eater PrC gets an ability whereby if it drains a level from a creature, all of it’s daily SLAs (among other things) are doubled for the day. Would this extend to the Arcane Dilettante ability of the Factotum?

If yes, would this doubling need to be applied when the Factotum is memorizing his daily “spells”?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-13, 07:22 PM
A 573

Yes, the Soul Power ability of the Soul Eater would allow twice the normal use of the Factotum's Arcane Dilettante ability. This doubling has no impact on the Factotum's daily choice of spells to mimic; each mimicked spell may be used twice instead of once.

Derjuin
2011-01-14, 12:35 AM
Q 574

When increasing a special mount's/animal companion's HD from class levels, does the special mount/animal companion increase in size as per their monster manual (etc) entry?

Kaww
2011-01-14, 01:41 AM
A574

By RAW no, I allow it (if the player wants his/hers mount/companion to grow) since it's not an unreasonable rule.

soulsabre345
2011-01-14, 01:59 AM
Q575

How should incarnum and soulmelds in general be handled in faerune? does it pull on the weave, or is it outside it?

Lord.Sorasen
2011-01-14, 02:22 AM
Q 578

I don't quite understand Wealth by Level, and how a dm works to make this happen.

Monsters have a treasure category in their ranking. Do I give this treasure out to a party every time they defeat a monster, or does it apply only to monsters within their own "homes" (such as a dragon in its cave.) Does the DMG assume that the dm is giving wealth to the party via other means as well as through monster based treasure? PS: the chart is posted as to have a ECL followed by an amount of gold. Is the party supposed to reach that gold before reaching that ECL, or are they supposed to be working up to that point until they reach the next level. To put it better, does the amount of gold represent the minimum or maximum wealth a character of that ECL should have?

ffone
2011-01-14, 03:55 AM
Q579

The Force ranged weapon property (MIC p35) makes the attacks a 'force attack' and 'automatically overcomes damage reduction'.

Would the attack still be piercing/slashing/bludgeoning (such as piercing with a Force bow), and in particular would it still be subject to such things as the half slashing or piercing damage of a Rat Swarm or the piercing immunity of a Wicker Man (Fiend Folio)?

Gnaritas
2011-01-14, 05:59 AM
Q 578

I don't quite understand Wealth by Level, and how a dm works to make this happen.

Monsters have a treasure category in their ranking. Do I give this treasure out to a party every time they defeat a monster, or does it apply only to monsters within their own "homes" (such as a dragon in its cave.) Does the DMG assume that the dm is giving wealth to the party via other means as well as through monster based treasure? PS: the chart is posted as to have a ECL followed by an amount of gold. Is the party supposed to reach that gold before reaching that ECL, or are they supposed to be working up to that point until they reach the next level. To put it better, does the amount of gold represent the minimum or maximum wealth a character of that ECL should have?

If you create a new character it is often used to determine their starting gold. As a character progresses it shows how much wealth a character "should" have at that point.
Do remember that this is a guideline, not a rule. Any DM is free to give out more or less treasure to their players.
A DM can give out treasure any way he wants, defeating the dragon in the cave could give you treasure by looting the cave, but also you could receive payment from the nearby city who asked you to kill the dragon.

Gnaritas
2011-01-14, 06:11 AM
Q579

The Force ranged weapon property (MIC p35) makes the attacks a 'force attack' and 'automatically overcomes damage reduction'.

Would the attack still be piercing/slashing/bludgeoning (such as piercing with a Force bow), and in particular would it still be subject to such things as the half slashing or piercing damage of a Rat Swarm or the piercing immunity of a Wicker Man (Fiend Folio)?

Yes, it would still be piercing/slashing/bludgeoning.
Yes, it will still be subject to half damage to a Rat Swarm, since it is not damage reduction.
I do not know the Wicker Man...isn't Fiend Folio 3.0?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-14, 08:36 AM
A 578

Table 5-1: Wealth by Level, as Gnaritas already pointed out, is used mostly for creating characters above 1st level. A DM's primary tool in getting to the vicinity of this guideline is actually Table 3–3: Treasure Values per Encounter (page 51), which establishes the expected yield for each of the 13.33 encounters necessary to achieve a new level. A DM should keep track of the treasure they've made available to the PCs as they go, and could balance out low-yield wandering monster encounters with high-yield trap-based encounters to maintain an average treasure value, for example.

Gnaritas already stated this once, but it's worthwhile to reiterate that average wealth values are a guideline, and should not be an expectation. If you as DM create treasure in the form of magical weapons and a PC sunders them, or in a pirate chest and a PC drops it into the ocean, you have no obligation to immediately produce new treasure of comparable value. Rather, future encounters will help to bring the average wealth back up, and windfalls (such as double earnings from a dragon hoard plus a bounty for killing the dragon) will occasionally exceed the typical encounter treasure.

As a DM there are no rules requiring you to maintain average PC wealth. Certainly you should not force wealth on a Monk character with Vow of Poverty, nor should you penalize a Rogue character who's out making extra income while spellcasters are resting or preparing their daily magic. If you populate your world with reasonable amounts of treasure your job in maintaining character wealth is done; the actions of the PCs will determine what happens thereafter.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-14, 08:45 AM
A 579 additional

The 3.5 update for Fiend Folio changes only the construct creation particulars of the Wicker Man, and not its Immunity to Piercing property. A force arrow would still deal no damage to a Wicker Man.

Duke of URL
2011-01-14, 09:05 AM
A 578, additional

Just remember that the game is balanced (as best as that word can be used) around the standard wealth by level. Some variation is fine, but it is unreasonable to expect 15th level characters to face CR-appropriate encounters with level 10 equipment, for example, at the very least not without modifying the CR of the encounter to account for the additional difficulty.

Essence_of_War
2011-01-14, 01:45 PM
Q 580
Is it possible to make an attack with a shield as a primary attack and use a light weapon as an off hand weapon?

Or do all attacks with shields count as shield bashes?

Keld Denar
2011-01-14, 01:49 PM
A 580

Its implied that a shield is generally used as an offhand weapon, but there is no rule that outright states that ALL shield attacks have to be offhand attacks. If you just attack with a shield, its definitely a mainhand weapon. Thus, nothing says you can't bash with a large shield as your mainhand weapon, then stab with a short sword or other light weapon as your offhand.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-14, 01:51 PM
A 580

I'm not sure about your question, because "shield bash" and "shield attack" are the same thing. But yes, you can use a shield bash as your primary attack. D&D 3.5 removed handedness when it dropped the 3.0 Ambidexterity, so whichever weapon you attack with first is your "main hand" weapon (even if that happens to be a head butt) and an attack with another weapon under the Two-Weapon Fighting rules is then automatically your "off hand" weapon (even if that happens to be a boot blade).

tyckspoon
2011-01-14, 01:59 PM
A 575
Soulmelds interact with magical items and spells and can be suppressed by Dispel Magic, as well as being non-functional in a dead-magic area and being detectable by Detect Magic. In general terms, Soulmelds are treated as magic items.

(non-rules material here)
Although the specifics of how this works are up to the particular GM and setting, it would be reasonable to say that Soulmelds also interact with a particular setting's rules of magic in the same way magic items do- they're just invested with a different power source.

Lateral
2011-01-14, 03:27 PM
Q 581 If I have Practiced Metamagic on Shadow Evocation, does it actually affect those spells that I use Shadow Evocation to cast? What about when I do the same thing with Silent Image and the Shadowcraft Mage 3rd level ability?

(Sorry for asking this multiple times, but I'm not getting an answer and this is pretty urgent.)

Edit: DAMN IT! Why doesn't anyone ANSWER MY BLEEPING QUESTION?! :furious:

The-Mage-King
2011-01-14, 04:50 PM
Q 582:
Does a Spell-like ability gained from a feat count as innate to the character?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-14, 06:44 PM
A 582

That's up to the individual DM; we've only got the dictionary definition to rely on, and that leads to interpretation.
innate
–adjective

3. originating in or arising from the intellect or the constitution of the mind, rather than learned through experience: an innate knowledge of good and evil. Using the standard D&D interpretation abilities gained from class levels are learned, and abilities gained from race or templates are innate. This leaves those acquired from general feats in a gray area, with some DMs treating feats gained at level 1 differently (pre-learning).

Killer Angel
2011-01-15, 05:03 AM
Q 583

A wizard is protected by a "Spell turning" and a "ring of spell turning" (let's say the ring is charged with hold person).
The wiz is the target of a Hold Person... which protection goes first?

Keld Denar
2011-01-15, 05:35 AM
A 583

According to the precident of "target decides order of effects", you would pick which of your abilities would affect the incoming spells in what order. Once the first one triggers and reflects the spell, the other would be invalid due to lack of spell targetting you.

yldenfrei
2011-01-15, 06:21 AM
Q 584
Locked Gauntlet
Will it conflict with a magic gauntlet you're wearing? Will wearing a Locked Gauntlet in one hand prevent you from activating, say, Brute Gauntlets that you are also wearing?

Q 585
Magebane weapon
If you apply the Magebane property to a masterwork weapon (and not a +1 weapon), will your effective enhancement be +2 weapon vs. arcane spellcasters/invokers?

Kaww
2011-01-15, 06:25 AM
A 585

I'm pretty sure that you need to have +1 weapon to apply other chants/properties...

yldenfrei
2011-01-15, 06:41 AM
A 585

I'm pretty sure that you need to have +1 weapon to apply other chants/properties...
I knew I was forgetting one very important detail :smallannoyed:

Silus
2011-01-15, 06:51 AM
Q 586

First time ever using Metamagic feats. If I were to use Rapid Spell (Takes up one slot higher) on, say Summon Giant (8th level Cleric spell from Frostburn), that would use up my lvl 9 spell, correct? And if that is the case, would I have the full number of 8th level spells still available since Summon Giant was "promoted" to a 9th level spell?

Edit: One more question really fast. Alternate Source Spell.

You may prepare an Arcane spell in a Divine spell slot of the same level and/or a Divine
spell in an Arcane spell slot of the same level. In each case, the Caster level of that
spell is one lower than usual.

If I only have 1 level of Wizard, but 10 levels in Ur Priest (Allowing me to cast lvl 1 Arcane spells and up to lvl 9 Divine spells as is), would that feat allow me to prepare lvl 9 arcane spells in the Divine Spell slot?

Never mind, reread. God I need sleep...

Edhelras
2011-01-15, 07:12 AM
Q587 The mithral chain shirt is stated to have a speed of 30 ft. And the Boots of Striding and Springing add 10 ft to base speed. But what if a character who already has 30 ft as base speed (an Elf, for instance) wears both these items? Will wearing the mithral chain restrict him to 30 ft., despite wearing the boots? Or will wearing the boots add 10 ft to whatever maximum speed he has, regardless of the limitations of the armor?

Kaww
2011-01-15, 07:12 AM
A 586

Spell level = Slot in which the spell was prepared. So if you apply extend spell to a level 3 spell it is effectively lvl 4. Same goes for your summon giant, it counts as lvl 8 +1 = lvl 9 spell.

Kaww
2011-01-15, 07:15 AM
A 587

Your elf's land speed is 40.

The example given is for a creature with base speed 30. If a dwarf would wear a mithral chain shirt his base speed would still be 20.

Gnaritas
2011-01-15, 08:51 AM
A 587

Your elf's land speed is 40.

The example given is for a creature with base speed 30. If a dwarf would wear a mithral chain shirt his base speed would still be 20.

The base speed is increased with 10 feet.

This means an elf's base speed would go from 30 to 40 and light armor does not restrict it.
In Medium armor the elf would normally move 20, this would also go up 10 to 30.

But if for example the boots would give +20 ft speed and the elf was wearing medium armor, then his base speed would go from 30 ft to 50 ft, but his speed in medium armor goes from 20 ft to 35 ft. Which is only 15 ft added instead of 20 ft.

So if you are wearing medium/heavy armor, the speed enhancement is not always fully added to your actual movement speed. In your example it happens to be true.

sreservoir
2011-01-15, 08:55 AM
Q 588

Are the intelligence and charisma increases in Awaken work with maximize and empower?

also.

Q 526

What psionic prestige classes have +1 manifester level at 1st level?

Gnaritas
2011-01-15, 09:14 AM
A588

I see no reason why not, so yes.

Zherog
2011-01-15, 09:50 AM
A 587 dispute

This appears to be RAI but not RAW. For example:

This extremely light chain shirt is made of very fine mithral links. Speed while wearing a mithral shirt is 30 feet for Medium creatures, or 20 feet for Small. The armor has an arcane spell failure chance of 10%, a maximum Dexterity bonus of +6, and no armor check penalty. It is considered light armor and weighs 10 pounds.

(emphasis mine)

RAW is that Medium sized creatures wearing a mithral shirt have a speed of 30 feet. So our dwarf gets to move faster.

And while dwarves can move faster, goblins, it would seem, get screwed and can only move 20 feet, since they're Small.

Ksheep
2011-01-15, 10:11 AM
A587

DMG pg 20 describes the effects of encumbrance due to armor based on different base land speeds. Normally, only medium or heavy armor have any encumbrance, whereas with light you move at full speed.

Boci
2011-01-15, 10:13 AM
A 587 dispute

This appears to be RAI but not RAW. For example:

(emphasis mine)

RAW is that Medium sized creatures wearing a mithral shirt have a speed of 30 feet. So our dwarf gets to move faster.

And while dwarves can move faster, goblins, it would seem, get screwed and can only move 20 feet, since they're Small.

A 587 dispute I'm pretty sure the specific speed of a race would override the that general statement.

yugi24862
2011-01-15, 11:27 AM
Q589

Can you use this wizard variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) and this one (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter) to get full SA progression as a wizard?

Gnaritas
2011-01-15, 11:32 AM
Q589

Can you use this wizard variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) and this one (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter) to get full SA progression as a wizard?

A589

No.
By RAW, this is a fighter alternative, not a wizard alternative.
And even so, the Wizard gains 5 feats over 20 levels to trade in, the Fighter 11, so....no.

yugi24862
2011-01-15, 11:48 AM
Q590

Does that mean This (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869822/Variant_Chaining) doesn't work aswell?

sreservoir
2011-01-15, 12:20 PM
Q 591

Are there any listings for how much things cost an weigh for tiny or smaller PCs?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-15, 12:46 PM
Re: A 587 dispute

I'm pretty sure the specific speed of a race would override the that general statement.
I'm afraid you have that backward. To override is to make the final determination on the matter, and this overrule can only come after some earlier rule.
o·ver·ride
–verb (used with object)

1. to prevail or have dominance over; have final authority or say over; overrule: to override one's advisers. Racial abilities, including speed, necessarily always come before choice of armor. The specific rule is the final authority. Regardless of base speed, mithral shirt as a specific armor sets the speed of the wearer.

Now, that's quite possibly not what the designers intended, but it is the RAW. If you don't like it you can of course change it with a house rule.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-15, 12:51 PM
A 584

You've only got one body slot for gauntlets, so you would have difficulty layering nonmagical locked gauntlets with magic gauntlets. Talk to your DM about getting a locking mechanism added to your magical gauntlets. Although that makes it a custom item it's a nonmagical addition, so having it crafted should be a fairly simple matter.

tyckspoon
2011-01-15, 02:14 PM
yet more about 587 (this has probably hit the 'take it to another thread' point.)

Although the specific Mithral Shirt item specifies a speed, I don't believe there is anything that prevents you from simply acquiring a Chain Shirt made of the Mithral special material instead. Said item would be almost identical to the Mithral Shirt, except it would be derived from the general rules for making armor of Mithral, which says nothing about speeds beyond potentially altering the armor's weight category.

Private-Prinny
2011-01-15, 06:51 PM
Q 592

Irresistible Mountain Strike (ToB p.83) removes an opponent's ability to take a standard action if they fail the save. Would I be correct in assuming that they would still be able to make a full attack, even though they can't use a standard action attack?

DeltaEmil
2011-01-15, 07:49 PM
A 592

Yes, they can still take any full-round action like full attack. They cannot however start a full-round action with a standard action.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-01-15, 08:01 PM
Q593: What is the range increment on a thrown splash weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#throwSplashWeapon) or even just throwing a negligible weight like a rock? I can't seem to find how far a character should be able to throw something besides a weapon accurately.

ShriekingDrake
2011-01-15, 08:28 PM
Q594: Are there any spells that protect against petrification? There must be some, but I just can't think of any spells that function as a ward against petrification. Same question for nausea? No one wants to be nauseated.

DeltaEmil
2011-01-15, 08:46 PM
A 593

Most splash weapons are listed under special substances and items and have their range increment listed in the description, with acid, alchemist's fire and holy water having for example a 10 foot range increment.

If an item does not have a range increment listed in either its description or on a weapon table, then it's also a 10 foot range increment.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-15, 09:08 PM
Q595
ToB question; can one change one stance in the middle of an action to get two different benefits/bonus? Let me elaborate.

Assume I have a warblade who begins his turns on leaping dragon stance, using a move action he makes a running jump benefiting from the leaping dragon's stance distance bonus. Can I during any tine after the jump change into Punishing stance stance and have the attack made after the jump benefit from the stance extra damage?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-15, 11:32 PM
A 595

You can change your stance any time that would be allowed. If initiating a new stance takes a swift action, you can perform that change at any time in your turn (assuming you have not used your swift action for the turn).

Curmudgeon
2011-01-15, 11:50 PM
A 594

For immunity to petrification you can use Polymorph or similar spells to adopt a form which gives you the Angel or Archon subtype, and thereby pick up the petrification immunity of your new subtype. For immunity to nausea, the Freedom of Breath spell (Sandstorm, page 116) renders you immune if the condition comes from strong odors. Beyond that, Renewal Pact (Spell Compendium, page 173) will automatically remove the nauseated condition 1 round after it comes about.

Ryuk01
2011-01-16, 12:08 AM
Q596

Does a Headband of Intellect grant you additional spells per day? If so, where does it say that?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-16, 12:19 AM
A 596 Yes.

A Headband of Intellect increases your Intelligence. A higher Intelligence, if that's your spellcasting attribute, grants you bonus spells per day; see here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilitiesAndSpellcasters).

Warclam
2011-01-16, 11:19 AM
Q 597

I seem to recall a feat that was like flyby attack for spells, except usable with any movement mode, but I can't find it. Is there such a feat, or did I just imagine it?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Mobile Spellcasting, Complete Adventurer p. 111.

SillySymphonies
2011-01-16, 11:56 AM
Q 598

The subject gains the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of the new form (...)
What if one changes into a form without racial HD (say a dwarf)? Does one gain +2 Con? Or 10 Str, 10 Dex, 12 Con? Or 11 Str, 11 Dex, 13 Con? something else?
Please include references and/or reasoning. Thank you.

Kaww
2011-01-16, 12:06 PM
A 263

Pg 263 PHB. It says that you assume new form's str, dex and con. Not that it enhances your str, dex and con. So you end up as a MM version of the monster. For dwarf the only one given is that of a Dwarf, 1st-Level Warrior and is 13, 11, 14 (MM1 pg 91)

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-16, 12:30 PM
A 263 Dispute

The dwarf in the MM has the elite array. It is not an average member of its race. I'm pretty sure you would get either 10, 10, 12, or 11, 11, 13, or some combination thereof. Which one seems unclear to me by RAW.

Kaww
2011-01-16, 01:05 PM
A 263 Dispute

The dwarf in the MM has the elite array. It is not an average member of its race. I'm pretty sure you would get either 10, 10, 12, or 11, 11, 13, or some combination thereof. Which one seems unclear to me by RAW.

I agree that the array given is elite, but there is no other Dwarf stat array in MM1. Which one the DM chooses is up to the DM. The point was that you don't just get +2 con.

ffone
2011-01-16, 02:45 PM
Q599

Spellcraft has the following line (from http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spellcraft.htm) :

"20 + spell level Identify a spell that’s already in place and in effect. You must be able to see or detect the effects of the spell. No action required. No retry."

Does the 'already in place and in effect' wording indicate that this only applies to non-instantaneous effects? For example you could ID a Stinking Cloud but not a Fireball? If so, Is there a (non-metagame) way to identify an instantaneous spell from its effects (w/o seeing/hearing the somatic/verbal components of the associated spellcasting)?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-16, 02:53 PM
A 599

You understand the limitations of Spellcraft here. You can tell a wall created by Wall of Stone from one created by someone carving up a large boulder by tools or by a Stone Shape spell; there's a Spellcraft check for that. But that only applies to materials, not creatures, so you wouldn't be able to tell someone killed by an Orb of Force from someone killed by nonmagical means.

Edit: I blundered considerably here. Thanks, Kaww, for keeping me on my toes. Post corrected.

Kaww
2011-01-16, 02:55 PM
A 599

The answer is in the same table:

15 + spell level Identify a spell being cast. (You must see or hear the spell’s verbal or somatic components.) No action required. No retry.

You can't ID instantaneous spells which you didn't see being cast and that don't leave a lasting effect.

EDITED:

A 599

You understand the limitations of Spellcraft here. There is no way to tell a wall created by Wall of Stone from one created by someone carving up a large boulder, either by tools or by a Shape Stone spell.

I have to disagree with the underlined part.

20 + spell level Identify materials created or shaped by magic, such as noting (Knowing?) that an iron wall is the result of a wall of iron spell. No action required. No retry.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-16, 03:09 PM
I have to disagree with the underlined part.
And well you should. I goofed, and have since corrected my post to allay confusion. Thanks, Kaww. :smallredface:

Ryuk01
2011-01-16, 10:51 PM
Q600

What qualifies as "interacting" when I cast Silent Image? For example, when I silent image'd a Wall of Stone, my DM ruled that every bad guy who saw it gets a will save to disbelieve. Is this true? Or do you have to touch something to interact with it?

Zherog
2011-01-16, 11:25 PM
A 600

I don't know if your question has an actual RAW answer, to be honest.

Saving Throws and Illusions (Disbelief)

Creatures encountering an illusion usually do not receive saving throws to recognize it as illusory until they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion.

A successful saving throw against an illusion reveals it to be false, but a figment or phantasm remains as a translucent outline.

A failed saving throw indicates that a character fails to notice something is amiss. A character faced with proof that an illusion isn’t real needs no saving throw. If any viewer successfully disbelieves an illusion and communicates this fact to others, each such viewer gains a saving throw with a +4 bonus.

Now, that said... If merely looking at something triggered a save, I would think "study it carefully' wouldn't be included.

NON-RAW MATERIAL FOLLOWS....

For my campaigns, I require some sort of action to be taken before I allow a save on the basis of "interacting with." Creatures can make Spot checks as a move action, and that's good enough for me -- it requires an action be spent -- but it could be searching the square looking for secret doors, or reaching out to touch it for some (reasonable) reason, and so on.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-16, 11:26 PM
A 600

Seeing is (normally) not interacting in D&D.
interact
–verb (used without object)

to act one upon another.
Action: Varies. Every time you have a chance to spot something in a reactive manner you can make a Spot check without using an action. Trying to spot something you failed to see previously is a move action. A reactive Spot check uses no action, and thus cannot satisfy the definition of "interact". A move action Spot check could, though. Touching (obviously an action) qualifies.

DeltaEmil
2011-01-16, 11:52 PM
Q 601

Some runestaffs listed in the Spell Compendium have the description that you can cast a spell that it grants either two or even three times per day by expending a prepared arcane spell or an arcane spell slot of the same level.

Does this mean that if I had a runestaff of transportation and wanted to cast blink through it, I would expend only one third-level spell (like for example fireball) and be able to cast blink three times, effectively gaining two additional spell uses of third-level "for free"?

Or would I have to expend three third-level spells to cast the three blinks that the runestaff provides?

dextercorvia
2011-01-17, 01:24 AM
A 601 You must spend a slot for each casting of the spell. Those are just limits on the number of times per day you can do that.

Essence_of_War
2011-01-17, 10:03 AM
Q 602

Metabreath feats require a breath weapon whose recharge time can be expressed in rounds. Can a dragonborn of bahamut who chooses the breath weapon racial option (which gives him a breath weapon with a round bases recharge time), who then becomes a dragonfire adept, take metabreath feat and apply it to his dragonfire adept breath weapon?

Lateral
2011-01-17, 12:11 PM
A 602 Yes. It's one of the most common ways to get Metabreath feats on a DFA's breath by RAW, although many DMs let you just take Metabreath feats for the breath weapon anyway.

Q 603 What page of the MiC has the new rules for custom item creation?

Greenish
2011-01-17, 12:15 PM
Q 603 What page of the MiC has the new rules for custom item creation?A 603 None. Page 233 explains why.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-17, 01:46 PM
Q 604

A wizard take levels in Silver Pyromancer, gaining access to the paladin spell list. Can this wizard take Battle Blessing and apply it to the Paladin spells he has prepared in his wizard slots?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-17, 01:55 PM
A 604 No.

A Silver Pyromancer doesn't cast Paladin spells; rather, they have the capability of adding arcane versions of those spells to their arcane class spell list. Battle Blessing specifically requires you to cast Paladin spells, which the Silver Pyromancer does not do.

Fitz10019
2011-01-17, 04:52 PM
Q 605

Imbue with Spell Ability
Normal casting of Imbue with Spell Ability uses up one of the caster's 4th level spell slots. Does this also happen when you cast Imbue with Spell Ability from a scroll?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-17, 05:29 PM
A 605 No.

The particulars of the spell description don't specify tying up a spell slot for Imbue with Spell Ability.
Once you cast imbue with spell ability, you cannot prepare a new 4th-level spell to replace it until the recipient uses the imbued spells or is slain, or until you dismiss the imbue with spell ability spell. There's no replacing a spell from a scroll. Of course, you've still got to "transfer some of your currently prepared spells", which means those imbued spells cannot also come from a scroll.

--Lime--
2011-01-17, 07:18 PM
Q606

How is damage worked out with an orc double axe?

The issue is, an off-hand weapon gets 0.5 of the STR bonus to damage. However, for a weapon being held in two hands, 1.5x STR bonus to damage is applied.

Does this mean 1.5x on the first attack and 0.75x on the second attack?

(since the second attack is said to be treated as an attack with an off-hand weapon in the TWF section of the SRD)

Keld Denar
2011-01-17, 07:23 PM
A 606

It works differently depending on how you hold it. If you only attack with 1 end, it counts as a 2handed weapon in all regards. If you attack with both ends, the "mainhand" side is treated as one handed, and the "offhand" side is treated as light. That means you get +Str on the mainhand, and +1/2 Str on the offhand side.

Its only 2 handed if you only attack with one end. In all other cases, think of it as two seperate weapons duct taped together in the middle.

Lateral
2011-01-17, 08:46 PM
Q 607 Does a DFA's breath weapon provoke attacks of opportunity? What about their invocations?

Keld Denar
2011-01-17, 08:51 PM
A 607

DFA's breath is SU (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#supernaturalAbilities), and SU's never provoke AoOs. Invocations are Sp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities), and Sp's almost always provoke AoOs.

soulsabre345
2011-01-17, 09:27 PM
Q 608
Does a totemist need high strength to operate or can it be done with approx 14 strength at creation (assume strength goes up slowly to being 20 at 20 and multiclassing is not a option)? Asking because I'm contemplating a kobold totemist

Urpriest
2011-01-17, 09:42 PM
Q 608
Does a totemist need high strength to operate or can it be done with approx 14 strength at creation (assume strength goes up slowly to being 20 at 20 and multiclassing is not a option)? Asking because I'm contemplating a kobold totemist

This is not the type of question this thread is for.

Thurbane
2011-01-17, 11:00 PM
Q 609a

Is there any metamagic, item or other way to convert a spell of the "normal" energy types (acid, fire, cold, lightning, sonic) to the force type?

Q 609b

Failing that, same question, but to change the energy type (partially or fully) to untyped.

Wonton
2011-01-18, 12:31 AM
Q 610

If a spell with a duration is cast at a raised caster level, will its effect change to a lower value once the caster's CL goes down? For example, a 7th-level Wizard (somehow) casts Evard's Black Tentacles at CL 8. The next round, his CL falls back to 7. Do the tentacles now have a lower grapple bonus?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-18, 01:01 AM
A 610 No.

The caster level is determined at the time the spell is cast, and does not vary thereafter.

Keld Denar
2011-01-18, 01:35 AM
A 609a
None that I can think of.

A 609b
There are a few ways. Non-lethal Substitution changes a spells damage to non-lethal. Since there is no such thing as non-lethal energy damage (I don't think?) it should all apply to something with Energy Resistance. Its a +1 MM in CArcane.
Sanctify/Corrupt Spell (BoED/BoVD) changes half damage to divine/vile damage, which is pretty much unresistable. Lord of Uttercold (CArcane) changes half cold damage to negative energy, which is also typically not resisted except by undead. Searing Spell (Sandstorm) allows a spell to deal half damage, even against things that are immune to fire or have the [Fire] subtype, which is the same as converting half the damage to untyped vs immune creatures. Piercing Cold (Frostburn) does similar, but doesn't work on things with the [Cold] subtype, wierdly enough. A Sanctified One (CChampion) venerating Kord can convert all fire spells to half divine. Silver Pyromancer (ECS?), IIRC, does the same thing.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-18, 01:50 AM
A 609b Correction

Silver Pyromancer is from Five Nations. They eventually get the ability to make their fire spells deal completely untyped damage.

Wonton
2011-01-18, 01:56 AM
Q 611

In the case of a 1-minute or 10-minute casting time spell, can a temporary CL boost (such as a few rounds in length) be used right before the end of the casting to boost the spell's CL? For example, Wizard A starts casting Phantom Steed. 9 minutes and 50 seconds later, Bard B casts Harmonic Chorus from SpC, increasing the Wizard's CL by 2. Is the Phantom Steed cast at the raised CL?

Kaww
2011-01-18, 03:05 AM
Q 611

In the case of a 1-minute or 10-minute casting time spell, can a temporary CL boost (such as a few rounds in length) be used right before the end of the casting to boost the spell's CL? For example, Wizard A starts casting Phantom Steed. 9 minutes and 50 seconds later, Bard B casts Harmonic Chorus from SpC, increasing the Wizard's CL by 2. Is the Phantom Steed cast at the raised CL?

No, his caster lvl is only increased if it was higher during the whole casting. Same goes for verbal, somatic, material (<-this one makes me sad) components.

Re'ozul
2011-01-18, 10:28 AM
Q 612

How do I read the spell "wall of bones" from complete arcane?
It says "Wall whose area is up to one 10-ft. square/level".
At first I thought that meant the wall was 10ft thick, but apparently (later on in description) is only 6inches per caster level thick.
Does that mean the following?

up to level 10 (thickness<5ft) you can have a wall 4 squares per caster level.
later on (thickness>5ft) you need to use 2 squares of thickness for the wall and so only get a lenght of 2 squares per caster level.

I am confused by the wording.

Essence_of_War
2011-01-18, 10:39 AM
Q 613

Can I use the metamagic/psionc abilities "Maximize Spell/Power" with dispel magic/psionics to get a "20" on the dispel check?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-18, 10:59 AM
A 612

"Wall whose area is up to one 10-ft. square/level" means the surface of the wall is in multiples of 100 square feet (10' x 10' per caster level), but "The wall can be whatever shape you desire as long as its base is solidly on the ground". "The wall is 6 inches thick per caster level" doesn't allow a variable; that's always going to be 60" (a full 5' square) in thickness at CL 10, so you'd need more than 1 empty square of space along the whole length of the wall at CL 11+. Area and thickness are specified separately in the spell, and only the area can be reconfigured.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-18, 11:19 AM
A 613 Ask your DM.
All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized.
You make a dispel check (1d20 + your caster level, maximum +10) against the spell or against each ongoing spell currently in effect on the object or creature. The DC for this dispel check is 11 + the spell’s caster level. If you succeed on a particular check, that spell is dispelled; if you fail, that spell remains in effect. Dispel Magic's end result is a Boolean (true/false) value for each spell, and many people would not consider that a "variable, numeric effect". However, an equivalent view is that the level of spells dispelled is the variable, numeric effect of Dispel Magic.

This is a DM's call because the term "effect" is used with multiple meanings in D&D without an in-game definition. (FWIW, the FAQ author is of the former persuasion.)

zagan
2011-01-18, 11:22 AM
Q 614

What's the effective cleric level of a paladin that take the Rebuke dragon alternate class featues (Dragon magic p14) ?
For turn undead it's paladin level -3 but the ACF doesn't have this clause so I'm wondering if it's just assume that it's the same as for normal paladin or a specific difference ?

OMG PONIES
2011-01-18, 11:28 AM
A 614:

According to Dragon Magic, the ability functions as an evil cleric rebuking undead. You don't gain the paladin's turn undead ability, so you don't need to worry about the -3 penalty.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-18, 11:33 AM
A 614
REBUKE DRAGONS
This ability functions as an evil cleric rebuking undead. As written, the effect of Rebuke Dragons is independent of whether you qualify for this ACF via Cleric or Paladin levels. Paladins cannot normally rebuke undead, so their effective Cleric level to turn undead is not germane. You use your unmodified level in the class to which Rebuke Dragons applies.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

zagan
2011-01-18, 11:37 AM
Thank you again for your help.

WarKitty
2011-01-18, 11:38 AM
Q615

When you gain new spells known, can you choose to learn a spell of a lower level than the one which you would normally gain?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-18, 11:44 AM
A 615 No.

While you have flexibility in casting spells of a lower level than allowed (i.e., can prepare spells of a lower level than the maximum possible, or use a spell slot of a higher level to spontaneously cast a spell), the rules do not permit learning spells of lower levels. You might be able to work around this limitation by learning the spell in conjunction with Heighten Spell; talk to your DM.

Ernir
2011-01-18, 01:50 PM
Q616
Is it possible to apply the Chain Spell metamagic feat (Complete Arcane) to ray spells?

Curmudgeon
2011-01-18, 01:54 PM
A 616 No.
Any spell that specifies a single target and has a range greater than touch can be chained so as to affect that primary target normally, then ...
Ray spells have descriptor "Effect: Ray" rather than "Target:", and are thus ineligible for Chain Spell.