PDA

View Full Version : a curiosity

big teej
2010-10-15, 10:27 AM
why is a thread locked at 50 pages?

Haruki-kun
2010-10-15, 10:30 AM
If I recall correctly, bandwidth issues. It's more efficient to start a new thread.

Zeb The Troll
2010-10-15, 04:05 PM
If I recall correctly, bandwidth issues. It's more efficient to start a new thread.My understanding is that it's not a bandwidth issue (only one page loads at a time, no matter how long the thread is) so much as a database maintenance/server resources issue.

Andraste
2010-10-15, 05:50 PM
I believe it's so people don't have to wade through hundreds of pages of stuff to understand what people are talking about.

Rawhide
2010-10-15, 06:41 PM
Originally, on YaBB, it was primarily because the entire thread would load every time someone clicked reply. Back then though, 50 pages were only the length of 25 pages. Now it is primarily for usability and database maintenance. After a point, long threads become woefully difficult to wade through and manage, for end users and moderators alike.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-15, 06:46 PM
Though the whole 50 pages thing is kinda meaningless due to the options of viewing fewer or more posts per page. For example, I have my options set to view 40 posts per page, instead of 30. So, I would get 50 pages at 2000 posts, rather than 1500.

Rawhide
2010-10-15, 07:24 PM
Though the whole 50 pages thing is kinda meaningless due to the options of viewing fewer or more posts per page. For example, I have my options set to view 40 posts per page, instead of 30. So, I would get 50 pages at 2000 posts, rather than 1500.

It is 50 pages at the default setting. If you have changed your viewing settings, you still have to be mindful of the rules and procedures of the forum, even when the setting obscures an otherwise clearly defined rule or procedure. It is your responsibility to keep track of them and, if you are unable to do so, you should change your settings back to the default. The settings are there for your convenience, but, if they are inconvenient, you shouldn't be using them or should temporarily switch back if that is more convenient to you.

Dogmantra
2010-10-15, 08:48 PM
Originally, on YaBB, it was primarily because the entire thread would load every time someone clicked reply. Back then though, 50 pages were only the length of 25 pages. Now it is primarily for usability and database maintenance. After a point, long threads become woefully difficult to wade through and manage, for end users and moderators alike.

Also I get the feeling that if it was changed, such threads as RB would have an outcry.

kamikasei
2010-10-16, 09:35 AM
It is your responsibility to keep track of them and, if you are unable to do so, you should change your settings back to the default.
On the other hand, is there any reason for the rules not to be written unambiguously in the first place, by saying 1500 posts instead of 50 pages?

And out of curiosity, where is the fifty-page limit specified? I don't see it in the forum rules. If it's just a convention that's used but not formally spelled out anywhere, is there a penalty for running over the limit?

Rawhide
2010-10-16, 10:23 AM
On the other hand, is there any reason for the rules not to be written unambiguously in the first place, by saying 1500 posts instead of 50 pages?

And out of curiosity, where is the fifty-page limit specified? I don't see it in the forum rules. If it's just a convention that's used but not formally spelled out anywhere, is there a penalty for running over the limit?

It's a procedure, not a rule. I am fairly certain that no one has been given a warning or infraction for continuing a thread past 50 pages. But they might if they know the procedure and deliberately and egregiously violate it or continue to do so after being asked not to. There is even a certain amount of leeway allowed, particularly for a play by post reaching the end of a chapter, arc or other good transition point.

It's described as 50 pages because 50 pages is much easier for people to remember than a number of posts in the thousands.

Killer Angel
2010-10-19, 02:48 PM
Also, this way is funnier.
Take the threads that are always active (for example, the Metal thread)... each time a "new" thread starts, the current posters can think to different names for one of their favourite threads.