PDA

View Full Version : Worst video game bug stories, How were you cheated

Lockdown
2006-01-05, 04:42 PM
Okay so I know Madden is not an RPG or even fantasy themed but it was one of the worst skrew jobs i had ever gotten. I call it the Jedi grab. Madden 04, i was the Raiders up by 6 with 20 seconds in the fourth. Green passes it to Gonzolas, his TE, and it hits his arm then right before it touches the ground it (like magic) goes back up, circles his arm and he grabes it. Then breaks three tackles and burns my safety like he had rocket skates for the win.

NEO|Phyte
2006-01-05, 04:50 PM
Homeworld. Final Level.
The scripted reinforcements that arrive decide to kamakaze my mothership.

WampaX
2006-01-05, 05:00 PM
NeverWinter Nights. Top of the tower. The tile that was to trigger the storyline continuation was not attached at the correct point to the floor.

I spent half the night searching the town to see if I had missed another key scene to trigger the one on top of the tower before going to the boards and discoverig that I needed to edit the event/map to correct the problem.

GTA III for the PS2. After killing a certain gang during a mission, that gang never shows up again . . . ever. As long as you have that savefile on your memory card.

Tom_Violence
2006-01-05, 05:12 PM
Mine goes back a long way to that buggy classic Hidden And Dangerous. After having spent a very very long time doing a very tense, sneaky mission I finally made it to the end. Literally feet away from finishing it and then suddenly my entire team fell through the floor to their stupid deaths.

Its probably not the worst bug thing that's ever happened to me, but its the one that sticks in my memory the most because I just about went and stabbed someone at the time. :P

Lockdown
2006-01-05, 05:23 PM
It don't have to be buggy. I remeber one time in Prince of Pursia: Warrior Within. For some reason the screen didnt render two guys so i got the crap kicked out of me by air and had to counter to kill one, thats when i found out about the other guy. My death did not amuse me.Another bad part was i was lost and had not been able to save for like two hours.

WampaX
2006-01-05, 05:29 PM
Cliff Racers . . . too many, too often.

Lockdown
2006-01-05, 05:39 PM
What are cliff racers?

NEO|Phyte
2006-01-05, 06:22 PM
Unless I am mistaken, he is refering to one of the most irritating monsters in Morrowind

Renmazuo
2006-01-05, 06:51 PM
I had a bad bug in KOTOR, but nothing major. Although I was recently playing Wild Arms:Alter code F and found a hidden dungeon, after about playing for an hour, I get to the boss of it. Second round into the fight, my main charecter does an auto reload on his gun and it froze my game :-/

Not fun.

Deleran
2006-01-05, 09:28 PM
I had a bizzare bug in KotOR where everyone's skin became transparent. The clothes were still there, but the skin layer was gone. The hair was there too, and so were the eyes and the mouth. I reset the game and it was gone, but it was just so wierd.

RandomNPC
2006-01-05, 10:05 PM
how bout things friends do to your games?

i try to beat a game before i go through with any cheat codes, just coz im nuts about the idea of playing it the way it was intended.

well, wouldnt you know it every time i started playing legacy of cain my friend came over with his gameshark and gave me all the advances you pickup throughout the game, ya know, while i was in the first hour or two of game time. doesnt matter how many times i told him, or how many save files i make, he beleived for some reason that i could not beat the game without his help...

glitches... bugs... once in sukuden 2 (spelling?) it glitched and all the buildings and cliff walls and whatnot were treated as 2D immages on the ground and i could walk anywhere, but it fixed itself after i left that area.

Tom_Violence
2006-01-05, 10:08 PM
I'm pretty sure this isn't actually a bug as such, but the mentioning of Prince of Persia did remind me of something.

It was in the first one (or third one, depending on how you look at it) towards the end. It was during the whole 'climbing the massive castle' bit, and there's a piece where you have to wall-jump down the middle of a big tower, yet everytime I tried it the bastard just fell to his death. I looked at walkthroughs but to no avail. And, since at that stage you don't have the fancy 'rewind time' power, after about the 30th try I just gave up and put the game away forever.

Needless to say, I was somewhat annoyed but this turn of events.

Dhavaer
2006-01-06, 05:42 AM
The clipping bug in NWN where you end up inside the scenery is annoying.

The 'uber-rogue' bug to ToEE is annoying.

And cliff racers are the bane of my Dunmer's existance.

The Prince of Cats
2006-01-06, 06:14 AM
There was a NES game called Ikari Warriors, I keep seeing it in old lists of 'greatest NES games ever', but it had a really easy cheat. Each time you die, hit 'A','B','B','A' and you come back with full lives.

My brother and I used to play this game for hours. Trouble is, you got to a point in an indoor level where the 'respawn' point was stuck behind a pipe and so you were trapped in one small corner of the map. Even with cheats, you just couldn't ever finish it...

Lockdown
2006-01-07, 05:32 AM
you guys remember the original X-men game for Genesis? How in the crap did you beat the light house level where you have to hit the switches to go through the walls? I used night crawler to go through them. But that cant be the only way, and how did you beat that boss under that water fall thing. My memmory is a little hazy but i could never find a way through.

Ebon_Drake
2006-01-07, 12:03 PM
you guys remember the original X-men game for Genesis? How in the crap did you beat the light house level where you have to hit the switches to go through the walls? I used night crawler to go through them. But that cant be the only way, and how did you beat that boss under that water fall thing. My memmory is a little hazy but i could never find a way through.

Aw man, I remember that. Outside the lighthouse was OK because you could cheat past Sabretooth if you used Iceman's ability right before him so for some reason he didn't spawn (the only use I ever found for Iceman in that game) but inside you HAD to be nightcrawler otherwise you just went around in circles than eventually died. Then the boss was ridiculously hard because you had to hit him at some exact point like his head or right before he attacked or something, but it was impossible to do because you were stuck as nightcrawler, the suckiest fighter in the game. Cyclops or Gambit could have owned Apocalypse at range, but nightcrawler had no chance. I only ever saw the levels after that using a Game Genie. Was it the level before or after that one where you fought the sentinels? I remember it only because right at the start you had to jump down this pit to flick a switch, only it was almost impossible to jump back out again. I could literally be stuck jumping around in that hole for a good 15 minutes before I either fluked it and got out or just gave up in frustration, with the only real solution again being to play as nightcrawler.

Not really a bug per se, but I hate it in fighting games when computer-controlled characters keep doing the same special move over and over again at a rate a human player could never do. The worst ones are characters with "charge" attacks like Guile, Mileena or Hanzo where it's PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to attack that fast. A player would have to charge the attack for 5 seconds, but the computer happily throws any number of them at you in a row. Special move spamming is one thing, but that's just unfair.

Rawhide
2006-01-07, 12:20 PM
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor

Bugs encountered: Crashes, save game files corrupt, uninstall will wipe your system files!http://arstechnica.com/reviews/01q4/pool_of_radiance/pool-1.html

The most vile and treacherous bug to come along in a long time is the uninstall bug that wipes out system files. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, uninstall this game before you run the update from the POR homepage.

This game was so buggy it could ONLY install to your C:\ drive regardless of what drive you chose. Additionally it would often crash on install (with uninstallation now being your only option) and uninstallation would delete critical system files rendering windows unbootable.

Aribar
2006-01-07, 07:07 PM
If you don't mind, I have two bad video game bugs.

In the Prince of Persia: Warrior Within I got to the final boss. . . And the thing that would take me to the final boss decided not to work. Thus I could not complete the game unless I started over and hoped the glitch wouldn't happen again. Luckily, my mother played the game and beat it so I just went onto her file and finished the game.

In Soul Caliber 3 there is bad glitch that can corrupt your data. The most common cause of this glitch is to delete, move, or modify any game data on your Memory Card. This can have one of four effects on your SC3 game:
1) Nothing happens.
2) The Chronicles of the Sword part of your game becomes corrupted.
3) Your entire Soul Caliber 3 data is corrupted.
4) Bye bye, memory card. The entire thing's corrupted.

Luckily, only 3 happened to me. . .

Grey Watcher
2006-01-07, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a feature, but in Super Mario World, if you use the R button to scroll the screen forward, the falling spikes (the little yellow ones, not the huge columns) will fall as soon as they come on screen, even if Mario/Luigi is all the way on the other side of the screen, and they'll be long gone by the time you reach them.

Zangor
2006-01-08, 12:49 AM
This wasn't a bug, in fact, it's something working exactly like it's supposed to, but it still screwed me over, and I thought it was pretty funny.

I was playing Ocarina of Time, and, for some odd reason, I hadn't been thinking to save as often as I usually did. I had gotten the last two big poes that were really annoying me, and beaten the horseback archery range (for a piece of heart, wasn't it?), which I was also having trouble with. I was rather pleased with myself, having done this relatively quickly. My dog apparently walked into the room. (He's a small dog, so I didn't see him immediately) I decided to save. I paused it, and picked up my coke to have a sip from it. That small detail lost me my progress. In the time I was picking up my can, the dog walked over and stepped on the reset button.

Needless to say, I was not pleased.

noof
2006-01-08, 09:15 PM
Morrowind. Shortly after killing the head of Redoran in the arena and on my way to get the gauntlet thing, I decided to eat/drink all of my potions and ingredients, then I decided to save. Little did I know, when you ea/t drink that much, you die. So, all my sleepless ours of play gone...

In short, Morrowind has h4x.

NEO|Phyte
2006-01-08, 10:38 PM
ive never died from eating the entire content of an alchemy store. did you just have THAT much stuff or something?

Edtharan
2006-01-09, 03:41 AM
I have heard that Morrowind can be compleated in around 15 minutes. Someone (with too much time on there hands - or not enough as the case may be ::)) did an AVI of them compleating it.

Chris_Chandler
2006-01-10, 11:05 AM
Temple of Elemental Evil is an awesome game... now. Atari screwed it, and forced the fan base to fix it themselves. That is the most horrible piece of top-end management of a license I've ever been privy to. It was painful. The game was the typical "should have been released 4 months later" type with so many rules, interface, and video issues that is was all but unplayable. The 1st patch only made it "playable", that is, you could actually interact with the game world in a manner that wouldn't set off a cascade of bugs.

It took the Circle of 8, a freaking group of players, to come out with a proper patch for the game, then finally the lead developer (read: he who was screwed by Atari) comes up with a third patch on his own (with help from other consumers), to make the game the excellent product it is today.

That is what I hate about the gaming industry, right there.

I second the Myth Drannor crapfest, too - I had the patch and it still had a fatal crash, with no end-around. That game should never have seen the light of day. It was aweful. I mean, break the CD in half aweful.

Morrowind surprised the crap out of me at how fast it climbed my list of good games, but Wampa is right - you don't need to have a fight just because you haven't fought anything for 2 minutes. Overland travel is just a killing spree, and is rediculous - animals, unless they are sick or madly territorial don't charge people, they go and hide. I've killed so many cliff racers I could have made a suit of armor from the plumes (someone should really make a mod that does so...). I have played games where those types of critters are out there, but stop pestering you after you get out of their league. That is not too much to ask for an AI, is it?. I can only hope that Oblivion has learned from Morrowind's few mistakes. Stupid cliff racers...

Demosthenes
2006-01-11, 05:41 PM
Ahh Morrowind, I have a nasty bug that almost always kills me, and I hardly ever save... When I start a new character I always go straight to the Redoran complex to raid their treasury. Now the crap part is getting home. I jump off the building into water, swim a bit and cast Water Walking. Then suddenly splat, I'm dead...

Yes, I hope oblivian obliterates those danged cliff racers.

NEO|Phyte
2006-01-11, 05:45 PM
Ahh Morrowind, I have a nasty bug that almost always kills me, and I hardly ever save... When I start a new character I always go straight to the Redoran complex to raid their treasury. Now the crap part is getting home. I jump off the building into water, swim a bit and cast Water Walking. Then suddenly splat, I'm dead...

Yes, I hope oblivian obliterates those danged cliff racers.

funky...
it sounds like the game doesnt realize youve stopped falling, so when you cast water walking, it applies your falling damage because youve landed (and if it goes by time off the ground rather than vertical distance, it adds a nice little bonus)

blackfox
2006-01-11, 06:43 PM
Icewind Dale II. Dragon's Eye is one freakin' gigantic bug pit. I always have a save all the way back in Kuldahar just in case the game screws up. I usually save at the beginning of each level and right before a major fight, but I've had to start all the way over once because either the hydraulic door wouldn't open or the Fields of Slaughter exit from the magma chamber wouldn't work from any of my saves. >:(

The Prince of Cats
2006-01-11, 07:00 PM
if it [falling damage] goes by time off the ground rather than vertical distance, it adds a nice little bonus
That was a problem Everquest had. I used to be a guide and one of the worst bugs was when some kind of lag-spike froze all the players for a moment. I used to see people dying from walking down a set of stairs.

I also remember that players carrying too much loot could take insane amounts of damage just from stairs. (blacksmithing was one of the worst culprits)

EQ also had the best bug I ever saw though; naked time. Sometimes, randomly, players suffered an interesting graphical glitch that wiped off their default clothes and left them starkers...

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/9720/nekkid5fk.th.gif (http://img314.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nekkid5fk.gif)http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/158/socks0wm.th.gif (http://img314.imageshack.us/my.php?image=socks0wm.gif)

Mas_Sinoda
2006-01-11, 07:32 PM
Morrowind. I dropped all my stuff, so the guards wouldn't take it when they arrested me for breaking into a house (a good bug) and when I looked down to get something that I wasn't supposed to drop, it all vanished. Oh in KOTOR there was a rather funny bug, where the characters looked like they were ice-skating. See, they moved, but their feet didn't.

Maxymiuk
2006-01-12, 08:38 AM
The worst bug I found in PoP: TTT was that I finished it in 2 evenings.

Those series aren't supposed to be that short! >:( >:( >:(

But seriously, PoP: WW for the Xbox was bad with music getting cut off for no apparent reason. Thus my epic duel with the Empress happened in eerie silence. :-[

WampaX
2006-01-12, 10:48 AM
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana.

If you did not turn the sound off before you went in to fight the last boss, the game would lock up right before the credits and your would not be able to save a clear file and get to all the post game goodies. Happened 100% of the time.

You'd think that would be something they would catch in quality control. :P

Soniku
2006-01-12, 01:16 PM
The first quest in baulders gate for the PS2.

sometimes the last rat didnt spawn

Alchemistmerlin
2006-01-12, 02:35 PM
I was playing the game anachronox, and I was in the next-to-last level. I was talking to an NPC, and he wasn't giving me the answers I needed. As in, I'd click the right questions, and he'd just stop talking and the conversation would close. I talked to all theo ther NPCs, so it had to be him.

After quite a lot of annoyance, I closed it, only to find out that that character hadn't been installed properly or something.

I had to reinstall the game and start from scratch.

I miss Anachronox, I wished it worked on XP.

Renmazuo
2006-01-12, 06:53 PM
Wierd,... Wampa, I don't think that happened again (but then again, thinking about it, I don't think I have a cleared game data)

Are you supposed to have a cleared game data for Altier Iris? Cause I don't remember the freezing glitch your talking about

WampaX
2006-01-12, 08:03 PM
Wierd Wampa, I don't think that happened again (but then again, thinking about it, I don't think I have a cleared game data)

Are you supposed to have a cleared game data for Altier Iris? Cause I don't remember the freezing glitch your talking about

Happened 100% of the time for me. Every time I went to beat the game, I have to turn off the audio in the game menu, otherwise the game locks up right before the credits roll.

It was especially frustrating the first time I won the last boss fight after about 45 mins and lots of close calls on total party death. I beat the game and figured that there were a few things I was missing (the time mana being the most prominent one) and was pretty sure there was going to be some post-beat the game stuff to do. I was very ticked when the screen faded to black and just stayed there.

Then I go online to see what in the fark was going on and low and behold there is a glitch and this is how you get past it. I would have been much obliged if they had put a warning label in the manual or something about that.

Renmazuo
2006-01-12, 09:10 PM
I think I had that problem. I guess I never realized what was happening. I don't remember anything happening after credits.

Hmmmm. odd, oh well. Doesn't bother me anyway. Technically, I beat the game :P

noof
2006-01-12, 10:10 PM
15 minutes.

....h4x

Edtharan
2006-01-12, 10:28 PM
....h4x
No. Just exploits in the skill system (He made lots of potions and sold them to get more and then made more...) and magic system (the effects of magic and potions stack infinitely).

grim_chook
2006-01-13, 09:59 PM
I've seen the morrow-wind in under 15, it's actually quite amazing!

How about Ecco? After getting through that b***ch of a final level (welcome to the machine if memory serves me right) and getting up to the final squid-monster-thingy I got swallowed and was subjected to ecco zooming through a infinate pink mass.

I was 7 or 8 at the time and never managed to get through the machine again! I should really dust of the old mega-drive and give it a spin now my skills a somewhat better!

Crazy Owl
2006-01-14, 06:03 PM
Nar Shadaa on KOTOR II
you mess one thing up on that planet and unless you saved before you went there your screwed

Picasso007
2006-01-15, 05:41 AM
Playing Starfox 64. Taking the hard route to the final stage means you have a rematch against your rivial starfighter group StarWolf before flying into the enemy planet and fighting the final boss. So my older brother's playing it, and manages to beat them for the first time (after failing at itlike two or three times). Hooray! At last we get to fight the hard boss for the first time. So after destroying the last enemy ship, the game is supposed to take control of your fighter and fly it into a hole in the ground, which leads to the tunnels you fly through to get to the boss. Sounds simple, right?

Well, imagine our horror as my brother's ship turned out to be perfectly placed for the game to put it in a perfect orbit around the hole! We sat there, dumbstruck for five full minutes watching the Arwing fly in a perfect circle around the hole, completely out of our control and completely not going to fly into it.

Arg...

Alzharade_the_Arti
2006-01-15, 06:02 AM
I was playing Castlevania-Dawn of Sorrow.I'm not sure if it was a bug although I'm pretty sure it was.It was after I had played through ance and got the Choas Ring.So I toggled on Iron Golem and went to fight Death.No mmatter how many times I killed him,I could never get the rune right.No matter how many times I drew it it didn't work,even after practicing it in the pause screen and getting it right.So finally I reset and fight Death without using the Iron Golem.Successfully drew the rune on my second try.Don't know if it was a bug or not but it frustrated me alot.

Demosthenes
2006-01-16, 01:05 AM
Nar Shadaa on KOTOR II
you mess one thing up on that planet and unless you saved before you went there your screwed

Yeah, I got that bug too. For somereason I traveled there and instead I landed in an entirely different ship. There was a navigation driod, some other things that did not belong. Even checking the galactic chat was messed up. One option was going to the Star Forge....

Ambrogino
2006-01-16, 07:26 AM
Not really a bug, but you'll get the idea.

Vagrant story, end boss. He flys past you while you're on the top of the tower. You heal slowly when not being attacked, so it's very very difficult to die, but for some reason the particular weapon setup could only damage him for 1 pt per strike no matter what combo I did. So I literally spend an hour pinging him to death one point at a time ( I think he had several thousand hits) and the animation changes - I think "Finally!" and put down the control pad...

At which point he hits me with a final attack, which kills me instantly on full health.

Apparently you're meant to somehow psychically know this'll be coming and parry with precise timing. I threw the game (which I was previously preparing to replay as the same character) striaght in the bin.

CommanderFalken
2006-01-17, 10:12 PM
I've had a bug in three of the mentioned games here.

1) KOTOR: I have a high-level character, in the process of beating the Sith world (I did that one last). I kicked both the Sith Master and his treacherous apprentices' A*S and set out to go back. Mind you, I've been playing for aprox. 25 hours (not straight), so I was pretty used to the system. Anyway, I had to get off. Next day, I load it, and KOTOR stops responding. The loading bar gets *maybe* 1/8 of the way across, and freezes. If I start a new game, then I'm OK, but if I ever try to load that one game!!!!!!!

2)Morrowind: I was a Fighter class character, on the mission where you're sent to take care of the bros who are hiding it the bug mines. I kill the two, and am on my way out, when I sidestep and get stuck behind a shaft support. I try for about 15minutes, and then a big bug comes up behind me. Kwamma or whatever they're called. So, this was one of the 'peaceful' ones, but it was trapping me ( i thought), so I figured I had to kill it. Just in case, I did the stupidest thing. Saved. But I never figured out why I was stuck.

3) NWN. Most embarrasing. 4th level 1/2 elf rgr, steps on an acid trap, gets paralyzed. I think 'ouch, ah well, just stand here till it wears off'. It doesn't wear off. So I start trying combinations of keys, and I geuss I hit the autosave. Stupid me.

Sir_Banjo
2006-01-17, 11:08 PM
Planescape Torment. I soon realised that there were some area's you couldn't go to because they'd crash the game. So long as you avoided those areas, it was alright. Then I got half-way through the game before I ran into an area I couldn't escape from. I truly hadn't enjoyed any game as much as this since Mechwarrior 2 so you could imagine how pissed off I was when this happened.

Ravenlord
2006-01-18, 05:26 AM
Ultima IX. That game was so riddled with bugs I gave up and sold my CD. I mean, bugs include

if you go underwater, sometimes you have a decent chance to never be able to surface without a crash
not doing things in the right order (ie the order the developers thought) will render you be unable to finish the game, ever (prime example: three demons on that vulcanic island)
fall through the map problems
improper scenery loading (while in the prison, I often had the game load a tunnel, which instead of having an open end had the end closed with a brick wall.When I tried going back I had to see: both ways.)
hilarious AI. To defeat say a dragon you just have stand below it and keep shooting it.
messed up skill system. Sometimes the game lets you buy a skill when you should not be able to, effectively denying you from that skill. (Buying Archery v2 without any archery skills will result in you getting Archery v1, but you never get v2 offered again)
creepy graphic slowdowns. Sometimes the game would just *crawl*, to the point I thought it crashed. Other times it would just run fine.

Max_Mad
2006-01-18, 08:24 AM
Dink Smallwood. After the "I surrender!" line of some "bosses" they keep attacking you and you can't move.

CannibalGnome
2006-01-18, 02:35 PM
While playing Morrowind, merely open the console and type in fixme if you become incapable of movement due to an object sticking.

Kotor 2 frustrated me at the dark side finale. Clearly rushed.

MagFlare
2006-01-19, 12:14 PM
While it's not exactly a bug, this thread seems to have become the official repository of PoP frustrations, so...

I was in the library in Sands of Time - maybe two-thirds of the way through the game - and I decided to save the game by stepping into the pillar of sand. LITTLE DID I KNOW THAT THIS SAVEGAME WOULD BE MY LAST.

When I returned to the game from the save screen, I was immediately treated to a view of Farrah impaled on some spikes. "Huh," I thought. "Time to reload!"

When I reloaded: Farrah, on spikes.

Reloaded again. Farrah. Spikes.

Turns out that she must've been halfway into the spike pit when I saved the game. And since I, like a fool, had been saving to the same file since the beginning of the game, I had to start over from scratch.

gamerthing
2006-01-19, 08:32 PM
In mario kart ds in WFC mode, one ting annoys me in this and every other WFC games: opponents using Gameshark codes. Half of the people I end up versing use them to cheat their way to victory. I normally disconnect on them. ;)

Viking
2006-01-22, 08:31 PM
Champions of Norrath: Return to Arms -

In the first game, you can collect Soul Gems to increase your hit points, but in RtA, the game ignores them, so when you import your character from the first game with his armour full of Soul Gems, you don't gain all those hit points.

My level 50 Dark Knight had over 900 HP in CoN, but in RtA he was gimped to 600...

Demon Stone -

When I killed the dragon towards the end of the game, the game freezes before it triggers a cut scene.

Drakan: The Ancients' Gates -

If you drop a weapon in certain houses, it 'seeps' through the floor so you can't pick it up again, even if you press L1.

Skink
2006-01-26, 10:01 PM
Playing Diablo II:LoD
The game suddenly wouldn't let me move. I could do anything else I wanted, I just couldn't move from the spot I was in. Against Duriel that kinda means instant death. It's done it to me a few other times, but that was the worst.
Arcanum
Hell if I know how it happened, but it provided evidence that the game remembers all saves, even if they're overwritten. I go to log in to my 20th level summoner near the end of the Black mine mountains, after two days (real time) and three trips in, and low and behold, the file was replaced by an old one from just after I got the black mountain mission.
Just scrolled through other threads and saw Baldur's Gate, remeinded me of the biggest bite in the ass.
A friend and I were playing BG: Dark Alliance in extreme mode and we got up to the drow priestess in the mountain caves. We're fighting her, and doing quit well despite her constant teleporting. Then she teleported off the map and ceased to exist. Then my partner, who was standing next to the save point, decided to overwrite the last save.

Dhavaer
2006-01-27, 04:11 AM
Lionheart

In the druid's area (don't remember what it was called) I got to a staircase. Going down the staircase would exit the game. There was no other staircase to get to the next level. >:(

Belmorn
2006-01-27, 02:03 PM
Morrowind: after reaching level 30 or so, a friend decided to finally solve the main plot. he soon realised he was missing one of crutial characters in main plot. It was the orc wizard woman in one of mage guilds.

Ebon_Drake
2006-01-27, 02:48 PM
Baldur's Gate seemed to have a huge dislike for my computer. For some reason every so often it would crash, and not in a normal, bearable way of the game freezing and needing to be ctrl+Alt+deleted, but actually resetting the computer. After that happened a couple of times I just decided the game wasn't worth the risk of blowing up my computer and gave it back.

NEO|Phyte
2006-01-27, 03:01 PM
Morrowind: after reaching level 30 or so, a friend decided to finally solve the main plot. he soon realised he was missing one of crutial characters in main plot. It was the orc wizard woman in one of mage guilds.
missing as in dead? Didnt he notice the big "you have severed the thread of prophecy" notice?

Mas_Sinoda
2006-01-28, 03:00 PM
Brothers in Arms.

The other day I was playing as a Winter-eenmas celebration. So, I hide behind a tall, concrete wall. Well it wasn't tall, but when you croutched it was. So I'm hiding there with my squad, and then bullets start flying through the wall! So, I ran away from that, and hid behind a fence. Not one shot got through the spaces in the fence.

tsu
2006-01-28, 04:29 PM
on morrowind after getting jump to a high level any jump will usually either get your head permanently stuck in the ceiling or when you come back down fall through the floor/ground

DaveJoha
2006-01-29, 11:58 AM
I played Eq for a while and the thing that always made me laugh was in the early days...You would be trying to hit the zone line because a mob was beating on you. Just as you escaped and zoned into the next area, you would find yourself somewhere halfway through the next zone in hostile territory at less than half hit points. A much un-appreciated thank you to a daring escape.

Rei_Jin
2006-01-29, 12:13 PM
I have two words that will own you all.

EVIL GENIUS

The buggiest game to have been released to this generation of gamers.

Almost impossible to play at all without the first patch, and not much better afterwards. They promised a second patch, but it never eventuated (as far as I know).

Never buy that game. Ever.

If you do, I will be forced to hunt you down and hurt you. Badly.

Bugs include, and are not limited to

Being unable to move
Being unable to research vital items to progress
Being unable to see any of the graphics
Being unable to install
Being unable to uninstall
Being unable to save the game
Being unable to reload the game
Being unable to play 1 of the 3 characters
Being unable to finish the game

This game is the bane of my existance, because it showed so much potential, so many possibilities. Only to be defeated by bad programming.

Tetralemma
2006-01-29, 12:14 PM
My all-time favorite buggy game has to be Daggerfall (Morrowind's predecessor). It was an amazing game, completely non-linear, great design, one of my favorite games ever. It was also one of the buggiest games I've ever seen. It was the game that taught me the virtue of "Save early, Save often, Save in different slots". I think there were dozens of individual patches for it.

Even though it was so amazingly buggy, I played it for a long time because it was a great game. Eventually I installed a patch that would cause the game to crash while saving about 25% of the time. That one made the game too frustrating for me. I could either, (1) save every couple minutes thus making me restart the game or the computer every 10 minutes, or (2) only save after hours of gameplay and risk having all that time turn out to be useless.

You have no idea how happy I was when Morrowind turned out to be a great game.

NEO|Phyte
2006-01-29, 12:15 PM
I didnt have any problems with it

:edit: damn simus, im talking to the guy that posted about Evil Genius

Rei_Jin
2006-01-29, 01:27 PM
Then you were very, very lucky. I bought a copy, as did 3 of my friends. 2 of them are computer programmers, and the other is a long term gamer. We all had problems from the list I gave. I reinstalled my game twice to try and get it to work.

I don't know how many times I got the Blue screen of doom.

I gave up when the programmers couldn't get theirs to run properly either.

iltharanos
2006-01-29, 06:10 PM
This qualifies more as a "Best video game bug", but here goes:

I had this kender thief from the old Champions of Krynn goldbox game and I carried him over onto the sequel Death Knights of Krynn. So the kender ends up getting level drained by some undead or other ... so I get him restored and rezzed. Here's the kicker, through some sort of weird bug my kender now has the power to level drain! So monsters that normally would take 10 or more hits to down normally just have to get whacked 2 or 3 times before they "collapse from level draining." And it works with all of the kender's attacks, melee and ranged, and it works on every monster in the game (dragons, undead, npc allies).

Hehe, that was the best kender thief character ever.

Skink
2006-01-30, 03:43 PM
I say buggiest game ever goes to Dungeon Lords.
- Automap Missing
- Music Missing
- Flawed Impact detection (woohoo, I can climb through the bottoms of bridges)
- Multiples of equipment are auto discarded rather than being put in junk inventory.
- Appearance Customization doesn't work (buttons for it removed by a patch)
- Potions of Power don't do anything (fixed by a patch)
- No descriptions of what spells do (not really a bug, but really annoying at times)
- Tends to crash in multiplayer mode
- Only humans and elves can be female (again, not a bug, but uh...where do little dwarves and demigoths (monstrous humanoid races) come from?)

Renmazuo
2006-01-30, 07:07 PM
I haven't bought the game, just wanted to say:

I can't remember the game, but it was the only PC game on IGN to ever get a 0 rating. Apparently you could NOT play it. You would be able to install it. but then it would crash everytime, no exceptions. I read the review of that. It was pretty funny. Wish I had a link

RandomNPC
2006-01-30, 11:15 PM
D&D Eye of the Beholder, for GBA i think the game unit itself is bad, but i cant get the last door of the first level to open. ive checked maps online, i e-mailed the makers of the game, i evel rested and got into random battles untill my wizard could cast "knock" to open the door. yea that was a waste of a good spell i could have learned. basically the door graphic was there but the game thought it was a wall.

Tharr
2006-01-31, 01:56 AM
I once playing Jango Fett Bounty Hunter was jumping and got hit by a grenade and ended up free like falling between two walls as floating I heard what the heck this isn ot suppossed to happen in a Lucas Arts game and weird game design comments put in as weird jokes commented. Finally after the weirdest hour the game did reset.

Max_Mad
2006-01-31, 07:59 AM
This is a new one. The Moment of Silence. The game just starts crashing at a certain point. And i mean it constantly does it. it crashes while your exiting an area then you reload you get passt that area and it crashes when you talk to someone and so on.

DeathQuaker
2006-01-31, 11:05 AM
Reaally reaally old game... I think I was 11 or 12 when I played it (I'm 29 now): King's Quest IV, Perils of Rosella.

There was an error in the Apple version where if you went to one location and then went to the final location to play the endgame, you would get a disk error (you could visit this location in earlier parts of the game but not after a certain point). I wrote to Sierra and they replaced my disks and it still didn't work. I never got to see how the game ended.
:(

endoperez
2006-02-01, 01:00 PM
That reminds me of some other King's Quest game. I played it recently, almost to the end, and after trasnforming myself into a Cloud to cancel his Fire transformation, a nasty neck-biting rodent to cancel his Snake transformation, etc... the game crashed. Nope, no ending for you. :(

Also played Daggerfall, had fun with it but nothing too bad. Eventually got frustrated with the random dungeons, which were sometimes strange enough to merit as a bug.

Pop Goes the Weasel
2006-02-05, 10:19 PM
Guild Wars - too many clothing reflection maps. As a result, every wearable item looks like it's encased in glass. :'(

caden_varn
2006-02-09, 05:01 AM
Disciples I. I call this a bug anyway. You can save over the autosave slot. When I got completely wiped out halfway through a mission where as usual I relied on the autosave, I reload. Except I saved instead by mistake, and had to restart the (long) mission again.

I did at least get this altered on the Disciples II after posting on their forums, but the developers laughed at me. It was a bit stupid to save instead of load I guess...

Renmazuo
2006-02-09, 06:07 PM
That seems like 50-50, kinda stupid to do the save instead of load, but it's also stupid to be able to save over autosave.

Millikin_Erreene
2006-02-09, 09:08 PM
Temple of Elemental Evil. One bug after another that required patch downloads which caused other performance issues.

Tom_Violence
2006-02-09, 10:39 PM
Lordy, if I had a pound for everytime I'd saved instead of loaded (or loaded instead of saved, now I think about it) ... well, I'd have more cash than I do now anyway.

Especially on those games where they put the quick load/save keys right next to each other!

caden_varn
2006-02-10, 08:24 AM
Yeah - done that a few times (with much swearing)

Akiosama
2006-02-10, 01:23 PM
Lordy, if I had a pound for everytime I'd saved instead of loaded (or loaded instead of saved, now I think about it) ... well, I'd have more cash than I do now anyway.

Especially on those games where they put the quick load/save keys right next to each other!

Or you'd be pretty heavy. ;D

Seriously, I had trouble with Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. There's a save bug about an hour or so into the game that prevents a cutscene from happening in a particular room. What ends up happening is you're trapped in the room because the exit is opened by the cutscene (a monster breaks down a wall or something). I spent two hours in that room alone looking for what I was missing, and never found it.

Ubisoft's FAQ on the game said that it was a glitch in the save game, and to just go back and use a different previous save game and play through it. Funny though, there was a comment in it (from UbiSoft) that said that nobody should just try to play a game out of one save slot... (It had that 'if you do, you're stupid' feel to it, IMO.)

Anyhow, I'm still stuck there because I haven't felt like doing it all over again. I just got the latest PoP, though, so I might go back and finish it now.

My 2 bits,

Game on!

Akio

Zim-Zimma-117
2006-02-26, 03:42 AM
Thief Deadly Shadows. Awesome game, really hard too, I had it spaz out on me during the loading screen on the last level.
Also, the old F-117 Stealth Fighter game for Windows 95, back in the day where if you died it deleted your file was a big deal. I was on one of the last missions attempting to dodge away from a few MiGs when suddenly, the game lagged and I found that I had instantly performed a 180 and was now flying straight into the two MiGs going top speed. Needless to say, seeing my highly decorated, two missions away from completing the game pilot killed in this way was a little... upsetting.

Zim-Zimma-117
2006-02-26, 04:02 AM
Brothers in Arms.

The other day I was playing as a Winter-eenmas celebration. So, I hide behind a tall, concrete wall. Well it wasn't tall, but when you croutched it was. So I'm hiding there with my squad, and then bullets start flying through the wall! So, I ran away from that, and hid behind a fence. Not one shot got through the spaces in the fence.

Had a weird Brothers In Arms moment where on one of the longest levels, as soon as the game started, some SS guy ran at me, so I plugged him with my Thompson SMG. Then for some strange reason, the sound didn't stop. So for over half an hour there was a constant machine gun sound going off.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-02-26, 11:09 PM
C&C Generals: Zero Hour - About 20 seconds to 5 mminutes after booting the game, it would give me a fatal error, and restart my computer. Every time. Thank God for the patch.

halo2994
2006-02-27, 12:39 AM
The other day while playing Virtua Fighter 4E I do a jumping front kick that knocks my opponent very high into the air (and out of the ring) but the kick also moved me forward as well (and out of the ring) but since the other guy was knocked so far up into the air, i hit the ground first on the outside of the rings and he was awarded the win.

I wasn't happy

-halo

Zim-Zimma-117
2006-04-22, 02:30 AM
I remeber playing a 1st person shooter/rpg, can't remember which, when my guy fell through the floor on the last level and got stuck there.

potatocubed
2006-04-22, 12:40 PM
Suikoden 4. I struggled with the ridiculous random encounters and broken cutscenes for hours - including the cutscene where it offers you the choice between using your powers or not, and if you choose 'not' it just bounces back to the start of the cutscene and asks again. >:(

What shot the biscuit, though, was when I got completely stuck. I'd just got the base, and had no idea what to do next - according to a walkthrough, a cutscene is supposed to trigger, but it never did. All that time wasted for nothing. >:(

Murky_Pool
2006-04-22, 04:09 PM
Fallout 2
I got it because I loved Fallout 1.

Installs ok, runs ok, the first part of the game works fine. I get out of a town (New California I think) and I get a cutscene that gives you the next plot movement.
The game crashes

I find a patch and use it, no change

I install the game on a different machine

No change

I give up.

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness on the PS2
Fall off something high enough to generate a Lara scream and realise you're dead so instead of waiting to hit the ground you open the menu and select load. The damn scream keeps going until the save is actually loaded. Very, Very disturbing.

Lawful_Stupid
2006-04-22, 05:24 PM
Two words: Missing No. :-X It completely screwed up my save file, so at least I learned that it wasn't worth it to do the item duplication glitch again.

I encountered a funny glitch in Metroid Prime Hunters. I was playing as Kanden while my friend was Noxus. I was in the Morph Ball form and was falling down to where he was, when he unleashed a charged up Judicator, which freezes opponenets when Noxus uses it. I was frozen in midair. I still unfroze, it just looked really funny.

Back in the N64 days, my brother found 2 glitchs in Super Mario 64. He found out that if you do the Long Jump (Run, then Crouch, then Jump) up the Never-Ending Stairs that lead to the third battle with Bowser, you can get to the top even without the required amount of Stars that unlocks it. It requires immense patience, but it does work. Then, after he got the 120 Stars to unlock the cannon in the courtyard, he grabbed the Wing Cap and somehow flew into the castle tower. It was all black on that side, but you could see and go into the doors to go into the normal castle interior, albeit invisible.

reorith
2006-04-22, 06:39 PM
in manhunt i killed a guy through a wall. clipping is awesome

Zim-Zimma-117
2006-04-23, 11:33 PM
In Medieval Total War, once I was conquering Europe as the Danes (not easy) and the game decided that the minute I reached the year 1459 that it wouldn't let me go any further on that particular file.

Railith
2006-04-24, 01:00 PM
In World of Warcraft I was fighting a monster and was hit with the most horrible lag spike ever. My character could move but every other npc was not even showing up in game, and yet I was still getting killed. I could not run, use any abilities, or log out, I could only die.

Shatenjager
2006-04-24, 02:19 PM
I have heard that Morrowind can be compleated in around 15 minutes. Someone (with too much time on there hands - or not enough as the case may be ::)) did an AVI of them compleating it.

I'd really like to see this, any idea where I could find it?

Vindur
2006-04-24, 06:23 PM
try youtube.com there is a load of that kind of stuff

Desidus
2006-04-24, 09:02 PM
I'd really like to see this, any idea where I could find it?

http://speeddemosarchive.com/Morrowind.html

*bows*

And the worst bug I've had was in Jane's Naval warfare, or something like that (think RTS on the sea...ish). Last mission of the campaign, the Russians have my carrier group outnumbered about 4-1, and two bugs hit me at various times.

1) certain planes and helos won't land... they just circle until their fuel runs out, then promptly die.

2) After killing every enemy naval combatant, my primary obj, the mission doesn't end... just... doesn't end.

Zim-Zimma-117
2006-04-25, 07:08 PM
This isn't really a bug so much as just sheer luck that is beyond ridiculous. I was playing Civilization: Call to Power and I ordered a B2 bomber to bomb an enemy lawyer trying to infiltrate one of my cities. The animation appears for me dropping bombs, then the lawyer opens his briefcase, says "I'll see you in court" and my B2 explodes.

Maxymiuk
2006-04-25, 10:32 PM
As I decided to replay NWN with a monk recently, I've noticed that the combat system can't keep up with the number of attacks I'm pulling off (up to 7 per round with 4 base, +1 flurry, +1 circle kick, and +1 cleave), especially if I'm fighting multiple creatures.

Attacks go to wrong creatures - for example the one I just killed ends up receiving the circle kick AND cleave.

If I try a special attack, such as stunning fist or knockdown, it either doesn't happen at all, or it targets the wrong creature.

The whole step back every round thing gets annoying as hell, especially if I'm tanking for a rogue doing sneak attacks from behind me. Sooner or later the main melee gets close enough to him that he starts receiving AoO's.

*mutters something about sorcerers not having to deal with this sort of crap*

halo2994
2006-04-26, 12:04 PM
OK this has been a while back, but i think i remeber it well enough to desrcibe.

Shining Force 2 for SG

the game had a button you puch that opens a small menu (Talk/search, item, Status) that kind of stuff, but then there was another button that was kind of
like a quickkey to Talk/Search.

after playing this great game for a very long time i manage to find the game ending sword that will let me fight the finale boss....and i can't pick it up. I seach and the game says something like "this is the sword of blah blah blah" but i can't pick it up.

i spend many days going all over the map trying to figure out why i can't get this sword (this was before the internet) and i am at a loss.

at one point out of frustration i return to the cave with the sword in it, i walk up to the sword and rather then quickkeying, i go Menu, Talk/Search.

I get a quick animation of my charactater picking up the great sword and holding it over his head while light comes out of it and music plays.

i was no happy.

-halo

Vindemiatrix
2006-04-26, 05:30 PM
Hmm...has anyone here heard of Philosoma? Freakishly difficult but amazingly entertaining PS1 shooter? No? I get to Chapter 2 and it just freezes. And that's that. Same bug if I try again. No save system either.

In The Curse of Monkey Island, my second disk simply does not work.

In Ratchet & Clank 3, there is a Battlefield mission in which you use the Hovership to flush the Thyrranoids out of four towers in Metropolis. You kill the last one...and wait five minutes for the game to acknowledge the fact that the mission is over. >:(

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-04-26, 10:10 PM
This isn't really a bug, but it is irritating. I just got Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II. Great game so far, but when I got to the Red Fang Goblin Lair, I accidentally walked into a pit after killing a couple dozen goblins... game over. Back to my last save. It just seems, kinda cheap. :-/

General_Ghoul
2006-04-27, 01:32 PM
Playing Might and Magic on Sega, circa 1990. You have 6 char and 2 NPCs, with 8 char classes, you can get one of each. Each class has a specific quest, none of which can be completed until late in the game when you are really powerful. There is a spot, an oasis in the desert, that gives you mega buffs, ie +50levels, +50 STR,INT, etc, that last for 1 fight. The trick is the oasis is surrounded by extra mega monster generators, who put the buffed party to the test. But a second level spell that allows you to teleport back to a saved spot lets you teleport back here over and over. I level up exponentially!!!! But the flaw in the game is you age one year per level, so in trying to find the max level in the gae (256) all my characters are so old, they die if they rest.
To tease me even further, you can find dragon's teeth, which will reverse aging (mostly to combat hits by ghosts) 1-4 years. But it says there is a 10% chance of the reverse happening. But its more like 90%!!! ARRGGHH. After many save reloads, I give up trying to save this party, wasting about EIGHT MONTHS of real time.

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-04-27, 08:06 PM
This happened like five minutes ago. I was playing Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II and I exited the Red Fang Marauder base. When I get out to the wood, the forest floor has turned into blackness. Some of it changes back when I walk onto it, but some of it does not. I then got to save my game at a save point without a stand. Just a floating book. My game freezes and I have to turn off my PS2. My memory's OK but it still pisses me off. >:(

matthewmw
2006-04-28, 07:23 AM
Im shocked no one has mentioned Big Rigs: Over the Ridge Racing

Ive never managed to track down a copy here in New Zealand but I wnat to paly it for sheer laugh Factor.

Some of the bugs include:
Its impossible to lose a race
You cannot play the 4th Track, the game just crashes.
You can go from Nought to One Bilions Kilometres in a few seconds

Here's Gamespots's Review: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/bigrigsotrr/review.html

Lawful_Stupid
2006-04-28, 09:40 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about a funny glitch my brother came upon while playing Ocarina of Time on N64. He had gotten the final Heart Piece, thus giving him his 20th Heart and then I think he went to fight Ganondorf. Something strange happened, because when he reloaded the game later on, he noticed that he was missing the Heart Piece. He went back to look for it, but it wasn't there. He tried all the other locations for Heart Pieces, but nothing. He was stuck with 19 and 3/4 Hearts. It's been 8 years since then, and his file still reads it as such.

Yugari
2006-04-28, 11:45 AM
I had to deal with that one on KOTOR, which mad me mad for a few days. Then there was on GB Link 4 seasons, my game was missing a key. I looked around the entire dungeon for 2 days, finnally looked at a cheat to see where it was missing. Checked again at it just wasn't there.

Smoo
2006-05-02, 09:40 AM
Temple of Elemental Evil. There was some giant barbarian king or something... i'm not sure, i just knew he was tough cos he had a name and did some talking before trying to kill me, so before initiating conversation i had half my characters (including the rogue) stealth up and move behind him. we talk, he decides to crush the puy humans, he attacks,we all fight back, then the guy tries moving or casting a spell (it was a long time ago, i cant remember) so its attack of opportunity time, everyone whacks him, then the rogue hits him... then the rogue hits him again, the rogue just doest stop hitting this boss character, he must have piled on about 10 sneak attacks before the big guy dropped. That was a refreshing bug.

the one that made really angry though was that the game would crash after killing the Balor that guards one of the gates. It didnt matter how i killed it, every time the balor dies, the game dies. So i never got past that part and can't bring myself to replay the game to try again, even with all the patches.

A little exploit i liked using in Baldurs Gate 2 was to just get Keldorn stood next to an enemy who is using fire shield, Keldorn's default family weapon reflects some of the damage back at the nasty mage and everyone else just stays out of the way, occasionally healing the paladin with the damagre reflecting sword :)

John_D
2006-05-05, 05:56 AM
I've had some utter bull calls on Madden 06 recently - the game seems not to understand pass interference. Oh, and you can't challenge a play at the end of a quarter, you just get dumped straight into the next one. I've lost a TD due to that.

On the most recent Burnout game, I'd been doing a really difficult race and, to my amazement, holding onto first place. On the home stretch my car falls through the floor and the bastard who'd been following me since the start nabbed first before my car respawned.

BelkarsDagger
2006-05-06, 05:20 PM
This guy I was chatting with on WoW fell through the ground into like a pit, and died, but then oculdnt find his body again. The Corpse didnt show up on the map, and when he was where he used to be he couldnt resurrect.

But the one that happened to me, I was playing Spiderman for Gamecube, I was in the first mission, tracking down the Skull gang ontop of rooftops, I killed one of the guys (you kill them one by one sort of around the city until you find this one guy), and the next one didn't show up. I just killed him, and then the game thought he was still alive...

Old_el_Paso
2006-05-07, 07:29 PM
When I'm playing KotOR sometimes, it turns off my Xbox and my TV.

Morrikan
2006-05-07, 08:16 PM
hmm... The alleyway in PS:T, with the two rouge groups, kept crashing every time i entered. Ohh! and the portal to revan in PS:T, I had it all, i had the blood, i had the portal, i knew what to do, BUT IT DIDNT WORK! didnt stop it from being the best game i have ever played though, and the most completed one on my behalf. Go user made patches!! w00t ohh and by the way, im insane and remaking the whole of PS:T on NWN, so if you want to help, PLEASE HELP ME!!

hobbes543
2006-05-07, 08:54 PM
In World of Warcraft I was fighting a monster and was hit with the most horrible lag spike ever. My character could move but every other npc was not even showing up in game, and yet I was still getting killed. I could not run, use any abilities, or log out, I could only die.

Welcome to a world server crash. It happens. Just be glad you weren't wearing full MC/Ony gear. Every time my druid dies now it costs me 1.5g in repairs.

Zim-Zimma-117
2006-05-08, 10:43 PM
I'm playing Steel Panthers: World at War, one of the hardest strategy games ever, and I am playing a Germany vs. Soviet map, historically speaking, the Russians mulched the Germans, I was doing really well and holding the line, words do not describe how freaking hard this was. On the last turn I ordered my last 88mm AT gun to fire at the last working Russian T-34. I have a 2% chance of hitting at about 300 yards. The shell hits, destroys the T-34, then the game just shuts off.

brentage5000
2006-05-08, 11:43 PM
Deus Ex: Invisible War and XIII -- two otherwise fine games with the same problem. Every now and then, for no apparent reason - and always between levels - the games would just stop loading and kick me back to the desktop, leaving my hardwork unsaved so I'd have to do everything over and over again.

Painkiller -- In the later, more visually complex levels, the vidoe framrate would just freeze up so I'd essentially be looking at wireframes of everything instead of the smooth sleek graphics prevalent throughout the rest of the game.

Restricted Area -- ....but only if crappy voice acting can count as a bug.

Lazarus_Plus
2006-05-09, 09:22 PM
A fun bug I remember from Jedi Knight Jedi Academy had to do with force pulling enemies.

If you jumped and pulled at the same time, the enemy would have massive force added to him and usually went flying off a ledge to his death, or so high that the impact from landing killed him.

The AI had difficulty realizing that it was as effective an attack as pushing, and didn't defend as often.

brentage5000
2006-05-10, 09:52 AM
A fun bug I remember from Jedi Knight Jedi Academy had to do with force pulling enemies.

If you jumped and pulled at the same time, the enemy would have massive force added to him and usually went flying off a ledge to his death, or so high that the impact from landing killed him.

The AI had difficulty realizing that it was as effective an attack as pushing, and didn't defend as often.

....and you're complaining? Umm....why?

Abd al-Azrad
2006-05-11, 12:08 PM
There was this one computer chess program I used to have back in '98... as a computer chess program, it was insanely hard for me (the average gradeschooler, at the time) to beat. I can still remember the first game I played against that computer, where I had tricked it into making a terrible tactical error, and managed a checkmate...

The game crashed, along with my computer. Turns out the victory screen was bugged, so I could never revel in my victory. I actually think this was the best part of the game. It is like playing against a really poor loser that kicks the board away, spits on you and runs when you win.

Rex_Hondo
2006-05-13, 02:54 AM
KOTOR, not being able to do Mission's side-quest if you've already been to the Tusken Raider encampment.

McDeath
2006-05-15, 07:45 AM
Those who've played Morrowind, do you remember the guy who falls from the sky outside Seyda Neen? yeah? Well, one time I started a new game, walked out to watch him die and grab his stuff, and the guy landed on the ground unharmed and started attacking me. After thirty seconds of me just standing there, he dropped dead in an instant.

Weird.

Telonius
2006-05-15, 03:39 PM
For blatant machine cheating, nothing beats playing "Hearts" on any PC. ;D

Tommygun141
2006-05-15, 10:40 PM
I have no idea how it happened, but when i was playing Medal of Honor: Rising Sun, it shut down my console and erased all my saves. ALL my saves.

For every game.

Sholos
2006-05-16, 11:28 AM
For blatant machine cheating, nothing beats playing "Hearts" on any PC. ;D

Actually, I've seen people play that well, and better. So it's not necessarily cheating, just fairly good playing. Which of course turns off the casual gamer.

Murky_Pool
2006-05-17, 05:43 PM
Oooh, here's an old one. Yes, older than those Old Ones.

Anyone ever play Chaos on the spectrum?
I recently got it on an emulator for the PC. One of the bonus features was a save option. Great.

So I selects my spell for the turn, cast it and save. Watch what the computer casts, die from a Magic Bolt and reload.
Computer now casts DIFFERENT spells. OI, cheating machine. I saved AFTER the spell selection.

Also the spell Turmoil, if you had a lot on items on screen the spell crashed the game (sigh)

Morrandir
2006-05-17, 08:50 PM
Chrone Trigger. Except I cheated the machine.

Final battle, other two chars were dead, Chrono had 1 hp left. Lavos does some huge attack, but before it lands, Chrono spontaneously stabs him for 7. And kills him.

Needless to say, I was thrilled, yet very utterly confused.

Vaynor
2006-05-31, 01:25 AM
I hate it when I'm playing WoW, and my computer goes slow all of a sudden, and the opposing monster will not die, nor can I attack it, and even if I go to another continent I continue losing damage then die. Frickin' pisses me off... :P

Kishkumen
2006-05-31, 03:32 AM
In Sim City 2000, All power plants have a life of 50 years before they collapse, except for windmills and hydroelectric dams. At a realistic tax rate of 10%, I could never save up enough money in 50 years to pay for a new plant.

I think that was a little anti-industry bias there, along with the fact that you can't survive unless the tax rate on the citizens is jacked up to 50% or something. In other words, taxes good, all man-made sources of electricity, bad.

But there's a cheat:

•Find a nearby elevation change (or simply build one).
•Create a lake on that square. This become an instant waterfall.
•Build a dam on that square.

This creates an instant cheap source of energy that never runs out and never collapses. Getting brownouts? Just build some hills, fill with water, and put dams on them.

Funstuff_of_Doom
2006-05-31, 09:59 AM
In Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, there's an evil glitch tat allows you to skip the first half of the game. (For those curious, meander your way to the Shrine of the Incarnate. It opens at Six regardless.) And that kinda ruined my reasons to play through what was a great RPG. I liked Cliff Racers, though. Giant Death-From-Above things. Heh, you could train them into a town and tie up all the gaurds to steal something somewhere else.

Ing
2006-05-31, 01:46 PM
If Atlantica in KH2 dosn't count as a cheat it should count as aggrivated assault on the programer's account.

DONALD DUCK AND GOOFY SHOULD NEVER SING!

though the good glitch in that game is that entering certian non-battle areas (where Goofy and donald wander off to do their own crap), while in drive compleatly resets the drive meter to max. :D

The_Werebear
2006-05-31, 02:37 PM
My most annoying one was in KoTOR. I had just gotten to Malak, and had saved right before I went into his room on the Star Forge. I died in the battle. So, I reload, move forward, and the game crashes. I start the game again, move forward, and the game crashes. I load a third time, click on something, and my character runs up to it. I think, ok, it is better, and press space to pause and buff myself up before I head in. The game crashes. I had to uninstall and reinstall, three steps away from beating the game. Also, cut scenes randomly froze halfway through, and enemy fighters during the turret sequences occasionally turned invisible. Still a cool game though.

In Morrowind, I have had psychic guards detect my theft from across towns. I also, at one point, fell through the entire FQ Canton in Vivec. Also, I have gotten stuck on railings more times than I want to think about. Nothing beats being stuck on a railing and unable to turn or move while six cliff races sit over you and poke you to death.

TheSilverKnight
2006-05-31, 06:15 PM
1) I had a glitch in KOTOR II where after 40 hours of gameplay because I was trying to tunr all the characters into jedis(this is so fun all party members are jedis accept the droids) and I go to Nar Shada to finish it but the damn exchange boss will not send me the message to go to the gas bar. I sat there trying every thing for 3 hours then started a new game and managed to beat it in about 10 hours with all extras gotten.

2) This glitch is actually good. I was playing FFX I get to the point where you have to fight the monster taht escaped from the cage the AlBeds(spelling?) were using to lure out sin. After killing it and watching the cutscene of the beach with all the dead people when I regain control and inspect the body that starts another cutscene the screen goes white....I wait still white I reload and try again same thing....I decide to give it another try it goes white for a second but then the scene plays when the secne is over I check my sphere grid I now have 99 of all spheres after maxing the grid for everyone I check my Invintory I HAVE ALL THE ULTIMATE WEAPONS FOR ALL THE CHARACTERS. So I just went and finished the game. My friend didn't belive me so I gave him my saved game folder and when he goes to beat the game it freezes every time he tries as soon as sin dies the game crashes. He deleted the file and I gave it to him again.....AND THE SAME THING HAPPENS Glitch good for me bad for him ::)

I have more but this should be good for now.

Shea Landford
2006-06-01, 09:16 PM
When I play First persons shooters, I like to mess around, but It pisses me off when I kill an important NPC and then accidentely save, and I can't get any farther with the game and have to start over.

Murky_Pool
2006-06-02, 06:18 AM
When I play First persons shooters, I like to mess around, but It pisses me off when I kill an important NPC and then accidentely save, and I can't get any farther with the game and have to start over.

That's classic zippo, funniest thing I've seen all day.

Anyway, a new one I've discovered
An RTS called Warlords Battlecry 2, worked for 6 months, now it won't load.

Annoying

DEMONhunter
2006-06-02, 07:35 AM
Has anyone mentioned Battle for Middle Earth 1? In the minas tirith mission, if you use the summon army of the dead power, they last forever. And since they're immortal...

Kriel
2006-06-04, 04:44 AM
Hmm... not so much a glitch of the game, per say, but still worth mentioning. I was playing Dynasty Warriors 3 with a friend I hadn't seen in a year since he moved to Florida. We were trying to get Huang Zhong's fourth weapon. After about 3 hours of trying, we manage to beat the level and the weapon is ours. Just as we go to save, the power goes out for a second and all our hard work goes down the drain. We both sat there for a good five minutes with our mouths hanging open. Can you say "Murphy's Law?"

Were-Sandwich
2006-06-04, 06:42 AM
Ever played Star Wars Episode I: The phantom Menace for PS1. That game is just one giant bug. Its imposssible to complete a level without falling through the floor.

And when DarthMAul kills Qui GOn, he misses him by a good foot. But Qui gon still keels over and dies....

Soniku
2006-06-04, 03:06 PM
Especially that harsh, harsh level in the underwater jar-jar city place >=( I always fell into nothingness there.

AwfulLawful
2006-06-04, 10:09 PM
Hey Wampax

How exactly did you fix that NWN bug at the top of the tower? I'm having the same problem...

Windwalker
2006-06-04, 11:41 PM
C&C Zero Hour, playing against the US in any skirmish map.

US missle defenders fire at ground targets using their air targetting range and using their special 'laser lock' attack, making them fire extremely fast, even when they are far out of range.

A group of six can destroy any tracked/wheeled vehicle task force. Standard machine gun infantry gets killed due to insane amount of missles. Can only kill them with long range artillery or massive air strike.

AwfulLawful
2006-06-05, 05:55 PM
I've just re-installed Baldurs Gate II: SoA, but now I can't get into the bridge district... The game just freezes whenever I try, quite annoying >:(

FreakyM
2006-06-06, 01:31 AM
Seriously, I had trouble with Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. There's a save bug about an hour or so into the game that prevents a cutscene from happening in a particular room. What ends up happening is you're trapped in the room because the exit is opened by the cutscene (a monster breaks down a wall or something). I spent two hours in that room alone looking for what I was missing, and never found it.

Ubisoft's FAQ on the game said that it was a glitch in the save game, and to just go back and use a different previous save game and play through it. Funny though, there was a comment in it (from UbiSoft) that said that nobody should just try to play a game out of one save slot... (It had that 'if you do, you're stupid' feel to it, IMO.)

Akio

Oh, that sequence? During the Dahaka chase that starts with him throwing that Raven guy into the chasm? Well, he DOES break down the wall.. but the fun part was, that in our case, the wall was visually standing there, whiel physically, he HAD torn it apart. We were puzzled for hours, until accidentally jumped THROUGH the wall and realized what had happened. If you remember that spot, go and have a try. Might help.

Bzar
2006-06-06, 10:12 PM
Guild Wars Prophecies. Mission: Thunderhead Keep. Hardest mission in the game.

I FREAKIN LAGGED OUT AT THE LAST SECOND!!! WE WERE ABOUT TO WIN!! DARN YOU ERROR 007!!

Lothorus
2006-06-08, 08:50 AM
The original Icewind Dale. It was a while back, so I don't remember most of it, but it happened right near the end.

That was a spoiler alert, by the way.

Anyway, my party finished the penultimate battle against the BBEG, and then was teleported to right outside the area where the final battle takes place, as it should. The controls and cursor dissapear, as though a cut-scene has just activated or a conversation was about to start. I smile and await what new twist and turn will await me just before the big ending. And wait. And wait. Nothing happens. The controls are locked, and I can't do anything.

Sonuva gun! Turns out there was some big bug that the patch could fix, but this was back in the day when such info wasn't readily at hand all the time. Suffice to say, I was pretty POed since this wasn't the first time something like this happened to me. I seem to have a curse that makes all games stop working just before the big ending or some revelation.

Like with Final Fantasy VII for the PC. (More spoilers, blah). Disc two, the group made it inside the crater, Cloud, Tifa, and Party-Member III enter the center, initating a looooooong Cutscene. At the end of it all, Sephiroth is ressurected or whatever and the FMV of the Weapon emerging plays. Big stuff has just gone down. In the middle of the FMV, the game freezes up and quits. I re-play through the long, 20+ minute cutscene a dozen times. Each time the FMV starts, it freezes in the middle.

What happens to Cloud? Do the rest of the party make it out alive on the Highwind? What the heck does the giant Weapon do? And what does Sephiroth do? All good questions, and questions that I couldn't answer for over a year as I raised enough money to buy a PSX and a copy of FFVII for the PSX (I was 13 or something at the time, so that was a huge purchase for me).

AAARGH. That one cheesed me off big time.

Dr._Weird
2006-06-08, 07:47 PM
Ugh, I payed $50 to buy Oblivion from Direct2drive. Doesn't work. Gets to the end of the opening cinematic, and then freezes. And tech support refuses to email me back. And direct2drive gives no refunds for anything. Ever.

TheSilverKnight
2006-06-09, 02:57 AM
Hey Wampax

How exactly did you fix that NWN bug at the top of the tower? I'm having the same problem...
I belive just patching the game should fix it if not look on the nwn,bioware.com fourms to see what object you have to move in the tool set to fix it manualy.

TreesOfDeath
2006-06-09, 10:14 AM
Fire Emblem 6:
Facing about 100 enemys in fire emblem, each of whom would normally get owned with ease but have a 1% crit chance, which can kill your team and force you to restart.

AwfulLawful
2006-06-09, 01:27 PM
Thanks TheSilverKnight :D

Vorkosigan
2006-06-15, 06:48 PM
Okay, another couple of stories that will show my age:

Civilization. Yeah, the FIRST one. Twice when I was playing, I encountered a bug that I can only call the Random Technology God. Suddenly, the game just decides to give every player a random set of technologies, regardless of what they had just last round. I discovered this had happened when the Germans pulled up to my catapult-defended city with a modern armor division. After frantically buying peace, I discovered that while I now possessed the ability to build bombers, I no longer possessed Writing. I did win the game, but it was incredibly messed up.

More recently, I encountered a bug on StarLancer, an incredibly cool starfighter simulation, which was very frustrating because it just crashed to the desktop during the longest, hardest mission. No, you don't understand. This is the mission where you have to snipe the guns off the enemy supercarrier, then take out the torpedo boats targeting your carrier, then protect your torpedo boats targeting their carrier, and then take out the torpedoes their carrier is launching at your carrier while not getting hit by the ones your carrier is launching at their carrier. Would you care to guess how many capital shipkiller torpedo hits a fighter can take? Crashed to the desktop during this fight at leasthalf a dozen times. Rage Against The Game Machine. . .

Corestimah
2006-06-15, 11:43 PM
My most recent problem is that in Dragonshard, there are no animations for any of my units, any Umbragen or Lizardfolk units, nearly all of my buildings, or the smaller monsters. Aside from one or two random the-game-just-exits-with-no-warning incidents, that has been my main problem. Wierd eh? ??? >:(

Jack_Banzai
2006-06-22, 04:58 PM
Restricted Area -- ....but only if crappy voice acting can count as a bug.

Heh, there were a lot more bugs than just crappy voice acting in Restricted Area, particularly if you play it in multiplayer. Here's a short and by no means complete list of the bugs I have encountered in this game:

-Submachine gun randomly starts firing lasers instead of bullets
-Flamer becomes a one-hit kill weapon
-Able to continue "killing" final boss and gaining exp over and over for finishing mission
-Drone pulls off of my rigger-type character and actually starts following around my partner
-Clipping issues (walking through walls, shooting through walls, etc.)

and my personal favorite:

-clicking on the hovercraft transport and instead of going back to the city, my character pulls out a gun and shoots it, destroying it and leaving me stranded in the desert.

RESTRICTED AREA: The buggiest game released in the last few years on any platform. Check out the message board for it on gamefaqs.

Morrowind: If you create a shirt that allows you to fly indefinitely, the game crashes every time you use it.

NEO|Phyte
2006-06-22, 05:06 PM
Morrowind: If you create a shirt that allows you to fly indefinitely, the game crashes every time you use it.
...A shirt of levitate crashes morrowind? Im not surprised about the crash (good god morrowind is a crash-ridden game), but that seems like an odd thing to trip it off

Krade
2006-06-22, 07:11 PM
KotOR 2. I only had 1 more planet to go to before I was done with the game and *BAM* an event didn't trigger and I was stuck. We're talking like 25 hours of play down the toilet. I was so pissed.

Lawful_Stupid
2006-06-22, 07:57 PM
Not really a bug per say, but it is still annoying. I got up to that dragon dungeon in Star Ocean: Til The End of Time, and those dragons are everywhere. That's not the bad thing; tons of Exp is always a good thing in RPGs. The bad thing is that they always paralyze everyone then kill you slowly. This wouldn't be too bad if they left one person unparalyzed so that he/she could heal the other two, but no, they have to go for everyone as soon as the battle starts. It leaves you up to the point where you are yelling at the TV to get your guys to unparalyze while the dragon chomps on their flesh, and there's nothing you can do.

I never did get past that place, and that game made me hate dragons.

tha_illmatic
2006-06-22, 09:09 PM
FFIX. I played that game for hours and hours, powerleveling when I got close to the end...then when i was fighting the last boss it started going through an animation for an attack and the game just kept looping the animation not doing anything. I tried it several times and got the same results. I used a Disk doctor just to make sure it wasn't the disk and the stupid thing kept doing it. Has anyone else had that problem?

Jack_Banzai
2006-06-27, 03:21 PM
...A shirt of levitate crashes morrowind? Im not surprised about the crash (good god morrowind is a crash-ridden game), but that seems like an odd thing to trip it off

Absolute truth. It works perfectly for a little while, then if you start to fly, say, maybe ninety feet up - basically anywhere that requires any sort of draw distance - the whole game seizes up. I'm talking about the Xbox version here by the way.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-06-28, 11:39 PM

I see Cliff Racers in my nightmares. Also, one time I decided that it would be cool to give them spells. After about 3 hours of that; my Marksmanship skill was 100. It started at 5. This is the PC version, BTW.

The crashing is the worst part of the game; but the rest is awesome.

Estella
2006-07-04, 01:40 AM
how i dread those monsters(like the greek harpies i swear!) *shivers*

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-07-04, 03:18 PM

Not a bug. If she was not in the game from the start, then the character file was corrupt. If your pal killed her, then that is his own fault.

eggy_goodness
2006-07-06, 10:54 PM
That reminds me of some other King's Quest game. I played it recently, almost to the end, and after trasnforming myself into a Cloud to cancel his Fire transformation, a nasty neck-biting rodent to cancel his Snake transformation, etc... the game crashed. Nope, no ending for you. :(
That was Five. Funny, I got it to work when I tried it...I could tell you the ending, if you want.

wormwood
2006-07-07, 11:42 AM
System Shock 2
SPOILER!

At the end of the game, there are these floaty things that spin around the big bad. You have to take them out to make it vulnerable before you can kill it. The first time I played through the game the floaty things just weren't there. I ran around in circles killing everything in sight for an hour. I finally ran out of ammo for every weapon I had and died. I did this several times before just starting the game over, thinking I missed something.

Umbilical_Lotus
2006-07-08, 12:24 AM
In my current playthrough of Baldur's Gate 2, for no reason the game will occasionally randomly spawn like 50 of any given NPC, all hostile. Kind of funny when you emerge into the Windspear Hills and find 50 angry pheasants all running frantically away from you. Less funny when 50 hostile halfling women spawn in the street outside the Copper Coronet, and each one eats your reputation when you kill it. They don't go away, either. Certain places in the game are now just inaccessible because they're full of angry NPCs who I can't kill.

Drakan: The Ancients' Gates had some fun bugs. Occasionally the ground textures wouldn't load, which was amusing considering all the outdoor areas were big and hilly and mountainous, so you'd see houses and towers randomly floating in the sky. Also, occasionally the game would break something when I hit it but also NOT break it. Like I'd smash a barrel, and you'd see barrel-bits fly everywhere and a nondescript bag of gold pop out, but the barrel was still there, and I could smash it again for more gold. This was fun in the Mana Crystal Mine when I could get hundreds of the things from one pillar that just refused to break.
I also hit a random spot of bugginess when I accidentally jumped off my dragon down a cliff that caused me to stop falling in midair. And I could move around as if I were running randomly in the air.
Then again, there was one bug where if you went into the portal just outside of Ravenshold, no one would ever talk to you again. This was annoying, as there were only four save slots and you HAD TO go through it at a certain time in order to trigger a certain quest (the Kragmor bit), or not be able to get the Lightning Blade and, through a continuing quest, the best sword in the game.

Tekar
2006-07-08, 04:00 AM
Wow, I've never heard about that BGII bug, I can't seem to find anything on it either, very weird. Did you download any mods?

Umbilical_Lotus
2006-07-09, 05:48 AM
Kelsey and Unfinished Business mods from Pocket Plane Group, but other than that, nuthin'.

It's not game-breaking, just slightly irritating.

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-09, 09:16 AM
You're looking at it the wrong way. Do you get XP for killing them? If so, enjoy!

Blind_Justice
2006-07-14, 08:42 PM
This, like the original poster, is not exactly a bug, but a VERY annoying occurance in a game.

Waaay back in the day, Tecmo Superbowl days that is, my best friend and I would play non stop seasons. Each season we'd switch teams to keep it more-or-less fair.

He happened to stumble across Howie Long of the Raiders. During the SuperBowl (we'd always choose opposite leagues) he'd manually control Long...rush my QB, usually sacking him, and if not...he'd have the speed to run all the way back down the field and cover the reciever. Sometimes even picking off the pass before the reciever got to it.

Most annoying thing ever...on a side note...glad he retired that year.

General Leitmann
2006-07-14, 10:06 PM
Worst bug I've ever expirienced: in ESIV: Oblivion, during the 'Great Gate' quest, I was ascending the Sigil Keep, when my character ended up falling through the red flesh like platforms, through any and everything below him, and into a vast, empty area with nothing... *sobs* He just kept falling! Now to make things worse, I hadn't saved for the last three or so main quests, and after all the work to get up there (hard because my character was lv53, and with the leveling feature of Oblivion, it's tough.)

NEO|Phyte
2006-07-14, 10:09 PM
Worst bug I've ever expirienced: in ESIV: Oblivion, during the 'Great Gate' quest, I was ascending the Sigil Keep, when my character ended up falling through the red flesh like platforms, through any and everything below him, and into a vast, empty area with nothing... *sobs* He just kept falling! Now to make things worse, I hadn't saved for the last three or so main quests, and after all the work to get up there (hard because my character was lv53, and with the leveling feature of Oblivion, it's tough.)

I've sufferred from clipping issues as well, Oblivion seems to handle them better than Morrowind does, I've found that trying to walk around while falling causes you to 'pop' back to where you fell through.

killer Spree
2008-01-12, 02:24 PM
the worst bug iv`e experienced was playing KOTOR.facing malak,everything went black,and there was five malaks.

Pronounceable
2008-01-12, 02:33 PM
Rather impressive necromancy, I must say.

TheOtherMC
2008-01-12, 03:58 PM
Rather impressive necromancy, I must say.

Well everyonce in a while a pixie is bound to revive something :P

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-01-12, 04:00 PM
Wow. Your necromantic magic is great.

But I can't resist saying this now that I've seen this thread again: Halfway through Kingdom Hearts II, the enemies just completely stopped taking damage. Needless to say, this makes the game unbeatable.

Oh, and I just remembered a really annoying one in WoW. In Pyrewood village, I was in way over my head so I ran away. Sadly, the enemies followed me. This wasn't so bad, except that they went through several walls.

ufo
2008-01-12, 04:10 PM
Thread necromancy has become quite prominent lately. Why doesn't anyone read the rules?

Herf
2008-01-12, 06:13 PM
In all my years of playing games I have only ever encountered one game-ruining bug, and I encountered it very recently...

Gears of War - Games for Windows LIVE, broken. I played this game once before, a friend and I played from 9pm through until 7am the next morning and completed the game on co-op. I loved every minute of it, even the minutes where I was dieing. So I bought the game for my PC and rushed through the first two acts in one sitting, then I went to bed. The next day all my saved games were gone. Just gone. Thought to myself "Ah well, these things happen" so I did the usual, re-installed the game, made sure my drivers were up to date and that I wasn't running any anti-virus malarky. Same thing happened the next day, all my save points were gone.

I went to check the Epic forum and... Wow. This bug has been there for five entire months, there's a topic discussing it that has 417 replies right now, 72,000 views, and Epic haven't said one word about it. The massive influx of emails about this specific error have caused Epic to remove their email address from the website, but still Epic wont even recognise that there is a problem with the game. Three of my friends have bought the game for the PC and all three of them have the same problem. That's four out of four, all with the same error. If ever there was a reason to stop buying a company's products....

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-12, 07:48 PM
Thread necromancy has become quite prominent lately. Why don't anyone read the rules?

People do, and then everyone esle complians about THAT, too:
People create threads that have been done before, only to be flooded with replies of "this has been done before. Use the search button"
Blargh.

Anyway - I love MorrowWind, and Cliff Racers are just Easy XP - they never bothered me much. It gets to the point where I'm sniping them with a bonemold longbow and chitin arrows up in the AshLands. And consquently one-shotting them. My favorite build is a Redguard Acrobat (Or a custom class with the small skill set, only Long Blade in lieu of Spear). Using a Claymore.
I've ecountered only two big-deal bugs with it:
Corpus - after curing yourself, if you have 100 strength naturally, you keep the corpus bonus, but this may come from the same effect where you're still immune to all diseases.
And a few months ago, after the game had been working perfectly for MONTHS, it decides it hates my computer.
I load up a game and walk three steps.
CRASH!

I have yet to see the end of the Main Quest.

Gungnir
2008-01-12, 09:05 PM
I've ecountered only two big-deal bugs with it:
Corpus - after curing yourself, if you have 100 strength naturally, you keep the corpus bonus, but this may come from the same effect where you're still immune to all diseases.

You're supposed to keep the bonuses. Part of the whole bit is that you are fated to get corprus, except noone wants to deal with the negative effects, so they let you get some wicked long lasting codine from the dwemer fatty.

My least favorite bug is that I severed the thread of the prophecy, and then STILL BEAT THE GAME.

Quinsar
2008-01-12, 09:17 PM
the game Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing

dont know what it is watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f3HDsgLV68&feature=related

Timberwolf
2008-01-12, 09:54 PM
Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries, League Drop, September 2005. Map, KnT Octagon 2

Wolfie and his team mates playing the 1337haxxorboyzfrmdahood or however the hell you say "team full of teenagers that have no skills with the English language but are nonetheless extremely good at games because they do nothing else all day"

There's a well known bug on the map that lets you get on top of the walls there. It's well above where you could get to with jump jets and to get there, you have to use a technique known as "Printscreening" which really slows down the server. Getting there also seemingly makes you invulnerable (owing to technically being beyond the map) while still being able to shoot.

Cheating barstud.

Gungnir
2008-01-12, 11:42 PM
Heh, I remember the original Halo had a few spots where you could get on top of the map, namely Blood Gulch. It wasn't that bad though, at worst it was just made for hard to reach snipers. You can't shoot through the walls (though you can see through them), but it you backpedaled quickly enough, you could pretty much stay there till you ran out of ammo.

Pronounceable
2008-01-13, 03:29 AM
It seems resurrection is successful. Oh well...

Some days ago, I lost my LEVEL 76 Enchanted Motorcycle Inner Mason of Progress Quest to a mother****ing weird crash:smallfurious: , a new variety of blue screen I've never seen before. LEVEL SEVENTY MOTHER****ING SIX CHARACTER:smallfurious: ! I spent the last 4 years on that one! I HATE COMPUTERS!:smallfurious: :smallfurious::smallfurious: :smallfurious:

Nasrudith
2008-01-14, 06:12 PM
Icewind Dale II there was the one cave that I forgot its name, massive cavern and incredibly laggy! Even after I cleared out every last monster there while lowering the settings to the minimum (previously maximized with no problems) it still lagged! I was happy to be out of the cabin and its lag.

DeathQuaker
2008-01-14, 10:08 PM
Overall, I've been fairly lucky regarding most bugs, but I recall a couple game stoppers....

One was a long, long, time ago, when I was about 12 (1988, for those of you keeping score at home; yes, you may laugh at how "old" I am). I was playing "King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella" and discovered a bug where you couldn't get to a key quest area after a certain point, preventing you from finishing the game. I remember writing to Sierra for new disks (ah, and people think bugs and patches are a new thing...), but the new disks had the same problem unfortunately (or some other problem which had ultimately the same end result). It was apparently some problem universal to the Apple II (I hear that laughter! Darn whippersnappers) version of the game.

Many, many years later I was playing Arcanum, which a friend had lent me. I got all the way to the freaking end.... which takes a damn while if you get sucked into the sidequests of that game... got all the way to the very end.... triggered the final scene..... and then some bug with the companions (whose AI had generally been the bane of my existence for most of the game) triggered and the game crashed. I was too frustrated to go back again immediately...

And then a week later, my computer died. Somewhere I have the save data but I gave the game back to my friend, so after all that I've never seen the end of the game. :smallfrown:

factotum
2008-01-15, 03:08 AM
One was a long, long, time ago, when I was about 12 (1988, for those of you keeping score at home; yes, you may laugh at how "old" I am).

Why would I laugh at someone who's six years YOUNGER than I am? :smallsmile:

Anyway, going back into the mists of time like that reminds me of the most irritating bug I ever encountered. I was playing the Amiga version of Midwinter 2. For those who don't know the game, you basically have a whole bunch of islands you're supposed to persuade to join your side--the more you get, the better, because there's a huge invasion force gathering on the mainland and having to retake all those islands will slow it down. Anyway, I'd played the game for a goodly while and taken quite a few islands when I got the message that the invasion fleet had launched and I should go to help destroy them. So, I start walking back to my aeroplane...and about 2 seconds later the "You have been defeated!" screen comes up. Seems the entire invasion force had somehow teleported from their starting position all the way to their destination, resulting in game over. Wouldn't have been so bad, but it took a lot of time and effort to take all those islands!

Premsyl
2008-01-15, 03:30 AM
Had just beat Kraid in Super Metroid on SNES when the game froze up. We restarted and the save game was gone. Agony, agony, agony. :smallannoyed:

JabberwockySupafly
2008-01-15, 07:36 AM
Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter Freedom , and Monster Hunter Freedom 2 all share the same bug that has been the bane of countless would-be hunters:

Plesioth's Hip Check Hit Box. This thing does a "hip check" attack that hits FAR outside it's range. Don't believe me, youtube it. Also check the MHF2 forums and read the woeful testimony of countless hunters struck down in their prime by the vicious hips of Plessy. Trying to farm the "G-Rank" (super-powered) version for it's carves to make better equipment becomes so annoying you just want to throw your PSP at a wall sometimes.

Dihan
2008-01-15, 07:59 AM
Not a bug, per se, but in Mario and Sonic at the Olympics Games, Peach beat me at 400m by 0.002 seconds. :smallmad:

Ah well, I still came first overall.

Artanis
2008-01-15, 11:16 AM
I'm sure I'll think up more, but off the top of my head, mine came in Morrowind. I used the crates outside the Mage's Guild in Balmorra to store stuff, since that's an absurdly convenient location (ten yards from repairs and free potions and ammo and a teleport person? And fifty yards from the Silt Strider? Yes please!). Not to mention the fact that there being so many boxes meant I could keep things organized - one for Alchemy supplies, one for Enchanting supplies, one for loot to sell to Creeper, and one for random stuff that I might need someday but didn't care too much about - and that I never really ran out of storage space.

Then, one day I came by to drop off a load of Saltrice et al, and found the boxes totally empty. My Master Alchemy items, my three zillion tons of Alchemy reagents, my dozen and a half filled Soul Gems, my soon-to-be-sold Daedric sword, all gone. Luckily, I had a few hundred thousand gold at that point anyways, so I wasn't exactly in dire straights, but it still pissed me off really bad. I'm just thankful it didn't happen during a trip to Creeper (as I leave my "real" gear behind to allow more capacity for carrying Scamp-fodder), because losing a full set of Glass Armor with constant-effect enchantments on every piece would have really screwed me over.

Prophaniti
2008-01-15, 11:53 AM
Now, this isn't really a bug, just an example of how bad my pc was at the time... I used to play WoW a lot, I was on a boat and jumped off before it got to the docks, just for fun. Then I lagged. It failed to load the water, so I fell to the ocean floor and went splat. Amusingly annoying. I had a similar experience on the zepplin. I was jumping up and down when it got to the point where it disappears, and I managed to jump at exactly the right moment, so it disappeared and I stayed and plummeted to my death.

There's a bug in my copy of XCOM that causes it to crash when you launch a mission. I learned to save very often because of that one, and lost track of how much play time I lost to it. Those are the worst bugs, the ones that crash or lock up the game after you just spent two hours beating a really hard part...

wumpus
2008-01-20, 03:36 PM
Ultima 2: for the Atari 800.

To get to roughly the second half of the game, you need "blue tassels". I never found them, up to the point I think I rolled my xp over (I'm pretty sure this happened, but not when). I finally gave up, searched the game/save disk (the only game I've heard of that used this cool idea), and modified the disk so I had "blue tassels". The game went pretty straightforward from there.

Note, if you haven't figured it out, this was the mid-80's. No internet, no bug-fixes, no more help than "you need blue tassels". I've run into bugs since then, but haven't gone and modified binaries to cheat past any since.

Still a great game, and I obviously wouldn't have bothered on a lesser game.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-01-20, 04:14 PM
I beat Portal, had the game go into the final cutscene, and my PC crashed to a BIOS memory dump because of a graphics glitch.

The first time was freaky as hell (if you know the plot).
The second and third times were just annoying.
The fourth time I'd fixed my graphics card.

Thankfully, the final boss of that game is pretty easy once you know how to win.

Geno9999
2008-01-20, 08:12 PM
I can remember when I was playing Super Mario Sunshine, I slid through the hill and landed in water... the next moment, Mario died for no reason (other than being inside a hill with... water?):smallfrown:

Gungnir
2008-01-20, 09:05 PM
I was playing a really lagged game of King of the Hill, and there was one point where the host seemed to regain his connection a bit, so things were going okay. I snuck up behind the hill, where there was only one guy standing from the latest skirmish, and try to assassinate him. About 1/4 of a second after I connect with my punch, he teleports behind me and kills me instead. I was a Sad Panda, to say the least.

Other highlights of that game include people's bodies falling down about 20 feet away from where they died, and my HUD somehow still working for a second or so after I died.

CaptainSam
2008-01-20, 09:12 PM
Just had an interesting one from DarkStar One. Just finished the plot, got the zero point drive, so I could jump into the "hidden" system. As a bit of a laugh, the creators put a pirate gang in there with ships named after all the studio staff.

Anyway, I finally work out how to defeat them, namely by turning on my impenetrable shield and ramming the baddies to death. This takes about an hour to do. Yay me, I think. Bad point one: there's no reward for this, just a measly congratulation. I then dock at the local trade station and the game crashes!

I think it's sulking. Especially as I can't tell what went wrong becaause the error report is in German. Bad loser.

Swordguy
2008-01-20, 10:02 PM
NHL 2003,4,5,7 (didn't get 2006):

If you manage to strip the AI goalie of the puck whilst said goalie is behind the net, feed the puck into the slot, and shoot at the empty net, the goalie will teleport into the goal mouth and make the save, 100% of the time.

One unique to NHL 2007 is said AI goalie getting stuck behind the net for large portions of the game. This can happen to either goalie. However, if your goalie is stuck back there, the AI will score on every unblocked shot toward the net. If the AI goalie is back there, unblocked shots you take toward the net will bounce off of nothing, as if the goalie was still in net - even though he's clearly visible behind it.

Mr._Blinky
2008-01-20, 10:59 PM
Not a game killer, but definitely an irritating moment. I was playing on the xbox version of KotOR II, and I'm on that one jungle world. I'm looking through a pile of random loot and "HOLY CRAP ON A BISCUIT, OBSIDIAN LIGHTSABER CRYSTAL!!!!!!!" I kid you not, I had a black lightsaber, and it was just about the coolest thing I had ever seen in an RPG. So I figure "Sweet, I'll save!" So I go into the save section, and hit the button.

*CRASH.*

I was ridiculously pissed. A couple of months later, my friend had the same thing happen to him.

SilentNight
2008-01-20, 11:06 PM
In FFX I was on the last real boss. I thought he was the second or third to last but apparently in the one after that you cannot die. Anyway, I killed him the first time, cut-scene, wash, rinse repeat. It went to a cut-scene and then bam! Frozen. I reloaded about seven times but it always happened.

Wish
2008-08-23, 06:23 AM
Buying numerous games that fit my PC specs and then buying them to find they don't actually work. Hours wasted finding games that work only to find they don't actually work. Hail the 360 ! !

I just did this with D&D Dragonshard. I have even downloaded the demo from Atari and played it. It worked, I was really happy so brought the game yesterday on Play.com Overjoyed I went to play it again today and continue the mission I was on. I sent my party into the cavern and encountered a slime cube. The cutscene managed to wipe out the menu interfaces, replacing them with white boxes and slowing the game down completely.

Boo ! This game is getting sent to me as I type and I know it doesn't work, a waste of money. Lets hope the one of the two patches they released actually work, or I am going crazy ! ! ! !

Wish
2008-08-23, 07:05 AM
Well I just got on to play.com Saturday Afternoon (i know I must be blessed) and cancelled that stupid game. I am really hating fun these days.

UglyPanda
2008-08-23, 11:03 AM
Please don't perform thread necromancy or double-post.

The rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=26&a=1)

Paragon Badger
2008-08-23, 11:19 AM
This thread just cannot die! It's from 2006. :smalltongue:

Although... It didn't happen to me, and it isn't quite being cheated... There was a story on the internet of someone playing Lunar: Silver Star Story. At some point in the game, you have the Big Bad travelling with you as a seemingly virtuous good guy. He even helped out in battles.

Now, the game must have confused one of his battle quotes with one of his dialogue quotes.... So, in the middle of a random battle, all of the sudden, he starts going, "...Heh...hahahaa..hha..BWHAHAHAHAHA! BWAAAHAAAHHAA!"

And then he cast the spell and won the battle. Best of all; it was their first time playing it- so they were suitably freaked out by maniacal laughter of the gentle elven wizard. :smalltongue:

Arameus
2008-08-24, 05:11 PM
I was playing Castlevania-Dawn of Sorrow.I'm not sure if it was a bug although I'm pretty sure it was.It was after I had played through ance and got the Choas Ring.So I toggled on Iron Golem and went to fight Death.No mmatter how many times I killed him,I could never get the rune right.No matter how many times I drew it it didn't work,even after practicing it in the pause screen and getting it right.So finally I reset and fight Death without using the Iron Golem.Successfully drew the rune on my second try.Don't know if it was a bug or not but it frustrated me alot.

That's no bug! It's just epically hard to get the hang of. When I first fought death, I was way underlevelled, but my CastleVania SKEELZ kicked in and I toughed it out. Then that huge rune appeared and I simply could not manage it. I counted how many times it took me: 12. 12 times. Not counting practicing in the menu. And I didn't die each time he came back, nooo, it was personal by then, so I toughed it out and finally, finally, fate smiled down upon me and I got it right. After having to contend with SuperReaper for so long? Major combat high.

Then the final boss educated me in the ways of unfairness. *sob* AND WHAT'S UP WITH NO 'LEGION' BOSS?!?!?!

LiteYear
2008-08-24, 05:22 PM
This is more of a weird bug than a devastating bug, but for a period of two months, I could not save my Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time game on my N64. I could save other games on it, and if I used my friend's N64, I could save, but for that period of time, my OoT cartridge and my N64 did not get along. It has worked perfectly before and after that period, and it is probably the strangest bug I've ever encountered.

DraPrime
2008-08-24, 05:32 PM
I once had a bug in Gothic 4 where the sun went through the sky waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast. It would rise, and 20 seconds later it would set. Night also lasted about 20 seconds. It was strange to see the light change that fast.

Arameus
2008-08-24, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Belmorn

Not a bug. If she was not in the game from the start, then the character file was corrupt. If your pal killed her, then that is his own fault.

Not so fast: this is indeed a known bug. For some reason, this particular NPC is known to disappear at random. It can happen at any time for no observable reason, and since she is central to the storyline this got figured out very quickly. A lot of people with the PC version figured out that all you had to do was put her back in with the editor and go on your merry way, so it was all peachy. But then she can also spontaneously reappear, and you can have two if you put her in the game manually. This leading to the humorous speculation she was merely out on business and is strangely not bothered by discovering a doppelganger that has taken over her life in ehr absence. You'd at least think the doppelganger would react somewhat, but no.

The Balmora Mages Guild basement, where she resides, was also infamous for how often you could fall through the floor of that particular room. Apparently, all the magics going on in the guild warped the reality of the room.

Crispy Dave
2008-08-25, 01:32 PM
well sometimes when I play wow I get attacked by a mob that underground due to a glitch and I cant attack what I cant see

Roland St. Jude
2008-08-25, 03:51 PM
Please don't perform thread necromancy or double-post.

The rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=26&a=1)

Indeed, on both accounts.