PDA

View Full Version : [4EE] Book Dimensions Good/Bad

Kerrin
2010-10-15, 03:09 PM
I've been reading through the 4th edition essentials Rules Compendium as my first foray into 4th edition and got to thinking about physical size of these books.

They are approximately 9-inches tall by 6-inches wide, which is a handy size, but I feel the books would be even better sized like a composition notebook which are 9.75-inches tall by 7.5-inches wide. Make them that size in paperback with a high quality lay-flat binding and they would be perfect - in my opinion.

What size books do you all prefer for your roleplaying games? The traditional hardcover size, the new essentials size, or something else?

Aron Times
2010-10-15, 03:52 PM
Inb4booksr4dinosaurzL2DDI...

Seriously, though, I'm used to the size of 4e books, so it isn't really a problem for me.

Mando Knight
2010-10-15, 04:07 PM
Inb4booksr4dinosaurzL2DDI...
Lolz. Buks R 4 Dinosrawrs. Lrn 2 DDI. :smalltongue:

I personally prefer a consistent size, so they all line up nicely on my shelf or wherever. Case in point: Stick some SAGA books next to any other WotC RPG books, and notice the difference.

LibraryOgre
2010-10-15, 05:11 PM
While the smaller size does have its advantages, I tend to prefer the larger ones, that you can actually lay flat without breaking the spine.

RebelRogue
2010-10-15, 05:13 PM
I only recently bought the Rules Compendium to use as a reference at the table. For that, I think it's a good size and paperback is fine. However, if it was books I was actually going to read, I agree with Mark, that a spine is preferable.

TheThan
2010-10-15, 05:15 PM
Lolz. Buks R 4 Dinosrawrs. Lrn 2 DDI. :smalltongue:

I personally prefer a consistent size, so they all line up nicely on my shelf or wherever. Case in point: Stick some SAGA books next to any other WotC RPG books, and notice the difference.

Yeah I agree, this a huge annoyance.

tbarrie
2010-10-15, 06:44 PM
Seriously, though, I'm used to the size of 4e books, so it isn't really a problem for me.

Given that the question is about the recent drastic change in the size of 4E books, I'm not sure how that works.

Personally, I recently bought a bookcase based on the traditional size of RPG rulebooks, so I'm not thrilled with the new size.