PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Xykon's black gem?

Cybertoy00
2010-10-15, 04:42 PM
At the end of Start of Darkness Xykon had imprisoned Lirian and Dorukan's souls in a black gem which he keeps in his robes. There's been, undoubtably, talk on whether or not those two will appear in the main storyline.
But!
During the first arc, Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, Xykon's body exploded! His bones and clothes were torn asunder, and flung apart! And then the entire dungeon exploded!
So, would he still have the gem? if he kept it on his person, it would have either been destroyed or blown away, like his badass-crown had been. So the question is, where is that gem? Is it somewhere in the rubble of Dorukan's dungeon, or had it been thrown elsewhere by the force of the climactic blast?
:roach: It fell through a plothole. That's where EVERYTHING goes.

Morquard
2010-10-15, 05:58 PM
It was where Xykon kept Dorukan's Cloister-headband too

zimmerwald1915
2010-10-15, 06:10 PM
A much more important question is whether Xykon left his keys back in the Redmountain Hills.

Azukar
2010-10-15, 07:17 PM
A much more important question is whether Xykon left his keys back in the Redmountain Hills.

Oh no! Can you imagine the inconvenience if they had to trek all the way back just to get them?!

As for the gemstone, it's in his pocket, just like it always was.

Roland Itiative
2010-10-15, 08:51 PM
What do Xykon keys open anyways? It's not like he has a house to go back to, or a car :smallbiggrin:

As for the gem, I'm with Morquard, it's on the same place as Dorukan's headband... wherever it is.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-10-15, 09:21 PM
What do Xykon keys open anyways? It's not like he has a house to go back to, or a car :smallbiggrin:
Might not have a house, but he does have a tower (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0192.html).

Xykeb Zraliv
2010-10-15, 11:29 PM
The robes themselves were magically brought out of the dungeon with no noticeable explanation. We never see Redcloak carrying them; they simply appear on Xykon's new body in strip 191 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0191.html). So it can be presumed that whatever artifacts Xykon had in his robes were also magically brought along when they left.

Or, uh, something?

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-16, 03:26 AM
His pocket was actually a tiny portal into a demiplane he uses to stoor all his stuff. The explosion destroyed the robes and the portal, but once he re-grew he enchanted his new pocket to be a new portal.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-10-16, 05:36 AM
His pocket was actually a tiny portal into a demiplane he uses to stoor all his stuff. The explosion destroyed the robes and the portal, but once he re-grew he enchanted his new pocket to be a new portal.
That explanation works for me! :smallbiggrin:

derfenrirwolv
2010-10-16, 06:08 AM
Logically Haley should have it, since she would be the one to search the area, find a gem and pocket it to be sold later.

King of Nowhere
2010-10-16, 06:33 AM
Well, if I were Xykon, I would research a way to teleport my gear to safety in case my body is destroyed. Do you have any idea how hard it would be to replace all this stuff once you're regenerated? Losing your gear is much worse than dieing in D&D. Unless the DM lets you find it again shortly thereafter.

Anyway, Xykon seems to still have most of his equipment, and the ootsers only managd to gather a few scraps from him - namely the ring of wizardry, now carried by V. Don't tell me it was the only magic item X carryed - (maybe he did research said spell, and it has a small chance of failure for every item?). So I would surmise the gem is still in Xykon's pocket.
My guess on its part in the plot:
After defeating Xykon, Lirian and Dorukan will be raised and will rebuild the missing gates; they are the only ones with the knowledge to do so.

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-16, 07:18 AM
As for the gem, I'm with Morquard, it's on the same place as Dorukan's headband... wherever it is.
This is almost certainly the case, considering the gem was shown along with the headband in this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html) strip.

Ender Wigin
2010-10-16, 07:22 PM
"Gem? What gem?" - :mitd:

Kurald Galain
2010-10-17, 04:57 AM
Logically Haley should have it, since she would be the one to search the area, find a gem and pocket it to be sold later.

This would be a hilarious plot twist. After five more chapters, OOTS and Team Evil finally meet in the heart of Kragor's Tomb.

:xykon: Well, Mr. Redshield, since you care so much about revenge, I'm sure you'll have a lot to discuss with that old wizard and his elf chick, and so I'll imprison you together for eternity in this gem!

:haley: You mean this gem here? I've been carrying it since strip 116. What does it do?

Deliverance
2010-10-17, 08:19 AM
This is almost certainly the case, considering the gem was shown along with the headband in this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html) strip.
That picture is a flashback from when Xykon acquired the headband, immediately after defeating Durokan (who had been wearing it) and imprisoning his soul in the black gem.

It cannot be inferred that he kept the gem and headband together afterwards from the fact that he had them both avaialble at the same time when he acquired one (the headband) and used the other (the gem).

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-17, 09:56 AM
That picture is a flashback from when Xykon acquired the headband, immediately after defeating Durokan (who had been wearing it) and imprisoning his soul in the black gem.
Yes, I know. It's certain to return at some point though, or there would be no reason to include it in the panel. Xykon may not have kept the two together ever since, but since he's still got the headband after the dungeon's explosion, you can bet he'll still have the gem too.

Ender Wigin
2010-10-17, 09:50 PM

It cannot be inferred that he kept the gem and headband together afterwards from the fact that he had them both avaialble at the same time when he acquired one (the headband) and used the other (the gem).

The gem was probibly part of the cloister spell, and if Xlyon did lose it he could just find another one to work the spell. He was probibly looking for the spell components to the rest of the gem when he found the "lame hippie headband".

If Haley did actualy take it, she might have givin it to the paladans or Dunkon to study and make a spell from researching it that would prevent ennemies from teloporting into their area, or use it for some similar purpose.
Or she could have sold it in town. I dought it will come up.

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-17, 09:58 PM
The gem was probibly part of the cloister spell
No, the gem is exactly what Deliverance described it as.

I dought it will come up.
I bet you my thumbs it does. :smallamused:

Xykeb Zraliv
2010-10-17, 09:59 PM
The gem was probibly part of the cloister spell, and if Xlyon did lose it he could just find another one to work the spell. He was probibly looking for the spell components to the rest of the gem when he found the "lame hippie headband".

If Haley did actualy take it, she might have givin it to the paladans or Dunkon to study and make a spell from researching it that would prevent ennemies from teloporting into their area, or use it for some similar purpose.
Or she could have sold it in town. I dought it will come up.

You, uh. Didn't read Start of Darkness, did you?

Souhiro
2010-10-18, 07:23 AM
You know... this is the kind of problem a PC will face everyday (An EVIL GM penaliced the PCs that didn't especifically say "I take off my armor before I sleep", and made them forget their belongings if they didn't explicity say that they recover it)

But in the case of NPCs, it has been always Somebody Else's Problem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_Else%27s_Problem)

Ancalagon
2010-10-18, 08:59 AM
You know... this is the kind of problem a PC will face everyday (An EVIL GM penaliced the PCs that didn't especifically say "I take off my armor before I sleep", and made them forget their belongings if they didn't explicity say that they recover it)

If you face problems as your example everyday, I suggest you change your group.

Kurald Galain
2010-10-18, 11:43 AM
The gem was probibly part of the cloister spell, and if Xlyon did lose it he could just find another one to work the spell.
Who is this Xlyon, anyway?

Come to think of it, who is Ender Wigin? :smalltongue:

Ender Wigin
2010-10-18, 05:12 PM

You, uh. Didn't read Start of Darkness, did you?

No, no I didn't.

Sorry everyone, I didn't know the gem was in that book. But I'll try to order that book as soon as I can, and then I can get these facts straight.

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 12:48 AM
Who is this Xlyon, anyway?

Zlyon's brother.

And get On the Origin of PC's with Start of Darkness.

Souhiro
2010-10-20, 05:10 AM
About the black gem that imprison souls...

Lyrian and Dorukan was lovers when the latter was younger. But being a human, he was an ancient mage where Lyrian was still a young elf. I don't think that they could be lovers anymore since him being so old for physical... anything.

But we have seen that your soul is always as you can imagine yourself. Roy's mother is a young woman, but Roy's father is an old bitter geezer (I hope this is the correct word, I'm not native english-speaker) Given Dorukan's nature in flashbacks (and I think, in SoD) do you think that his Self-Image is the one of an Old Man, or a Mature Man?

If it is the latter, I think that he has done a big favor to Lyrian and Dorukan! Young again, and in each other... ghost-arms?

Kurald Galain
2010-10-20, 07:51 AM
Lyrian and Dorukan was lovers when the latter was younger. But being a human, he was an ancient mage where Lyrian was still a young elf. I don't think that they could be lovers anymore since him being so old for physical... anything.

I'm sure any competent wizard will have a spell for that :smallamused:

Ron Miel
2010-10-20, 08:05 AM

Treasure chests.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0029.html

faustin
2010-10-20, 09:27 AM
If it is the latter, I think that he has done a big favor to Lyrian and Dorukan! Young again, and in each other... ghost-arms?

I have still hope both of them would have the oportunity to give thanks Xykon for that.... some DEM (Deux Ex Machina) like Harry Potterīs ghost parents vs Voldemort in The Fire Chalice..

Xykeb Zraliv
2010-10-25, 06:17 PM
But we have seen that your soul is always as you can imagine yourself. Roy's mother is a young woman, but Roy's father is an old bitter geezer (I hope this is the correct word, I'm not native english-speaker) Given Dorukan's nature in flashbacks (and I think, in SoD) do you think that his Self-Image is the one of an Old Man, or a Mature Man?

It doesn't necessarily have to be either. As Roy's Archon points out, if you are still thinking about events that have happened in the living world, you will see yourself as you were at your time of death. We only saw him as a soul when he was first sealed in the gem, so he was likely still thinking about Xykon's recent defeat of him.

137beth
2010-11-02, 03:16 PM
If the gems fell through the gate, then they have been obliterated from existence. If not, then they are still out there somewhere...
But I find it unlikely that he would keep in on his body. That would make them too vulnerable.

Leecros
2010-11-02, 05:11 PM
I have still hope both of them would have the oportunity to give thanks Xykon for that.... some DEM (Deux Ex Machina) like Harry Potterīs ghost parents vs Voldemort in The Fire Chalice..

There are no words to describe my feelings on that...both if that actually happened in the strip...and when it did happen in Goblet of Fire :smalleek:

as for where the gem is? the same place PC's keep their gear when its not being used along with V's familiar and the horses and probably other things that i missed:smallbiggrin:

Seriously....my group tends to forget that they have packs and toss everything 'in their pocket' and i'm certain none of them have bags of holding for pockets, a belt of many pockets, nor is any one of them The Doctor.

npc revolution
2010-11-02, 05:19 PM
Given Dorukan's nature in flashbacks (and I think, in SoD) do you think that his Self-Image is the one of an Old Man, or a Mature Man?

I propose that it takes a while to stop thinking of yourself as an old man when you die, because you've become used to it. Which is why he didn't immediately revert when he was soul bound.

And "geezer" is fine, your english is fine. :smallsmile:

Cogidubnus
2010-11-02, 05:38 PM

And this produced the most enormous 'lolwhut' in my brain until I realised this is Goblet of Fire published in another country.