PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Stats for Slender Man?

Scorpions__
2010-10-15, 08:47 PM
One of my player requested it, I found 4e stats for him but does anyone know of any 3.5 stats for him anywhere?

DM[F]R

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-10-15, 08:52 PM
If they want to be slim, like dangeriously slim, the feats are in BOVD.

DEFORMITY (GAUNT) [VILE]
Through intentional starvation and macabre operations, the
character is grossly underweight. He has a skeletal appearance,
and his weight is now half normal for creatures of his kind.
Prerequisite:Willing Deformity.
Benefit: The character gains a +2 deformity bonus to
Dexterity and a –2 deformity penalty to Constitution. Furthermore,
he gains a +2 circumstance bonus on Escape
Artist checks and Intimidate checks.
Special: A character with this feat may not take the
Deformity (obese) feat.

Crossblade
2010-10-15, 09:00 PM
Or there's the Character Trait from Unearthed Arcana, Skinny. Page90.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-10-15, 09:03 PM
Hyooz homebrewed something up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7707638&postcount=11). Seems good.

Why would you want stats for him though, out of curiosity? Depending on the mythos you follow, you won't be able to kill him anyway, or even go toe to toe to him. He'd mostly stay in the shadows.

Zeofar
2010-10-15, 09:03 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Scorpions may be referring to Slender Man from the Marble Hornets videos. Ignore this if he isn't.

Scorpions__
2010-10-15, 10:22 PM
Yeah I'm talking about the internet meme, not simply a skinny man, LOL.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSlenderManMythos

DM[F]R

The Glyphstone
2010-10-15, 10:30 PM
+1 to the "he shouldn't have stats". The whole point of Slender Man is the looming creepiness. Remember the Maxim of D&D: "If it has stats, you can kill it with sufficient cheese". Slendy shouldn't be killable, or even fightable, therefore...no stats. It cheapens the mythos to make him just Random Encounter #35.

Crossblade
2010-10-15, 10:35 PM
"A face that no two people see the same way "... Complete Scoundrel. Master of Masks or Montebank.

Master of Masks can have you changing abilities.
Montebank gives you multiple alter egos.

Demons_eye
2010-10-15, 10:48 PM
+1 to the "he shouldn't have stats". The whole point of Slender Man is the looming creepiness. Remember the Maxim of D&D: "If it has stats, you can kill it with sufficient cheese". Slendy shouldn't be killable, or even fightable, therefore...no stats. It cheapens the mythos to make him just Random Encounter #35.

Why not? I can't think of a creepy crawly in any mythos that can't be killed, sealed away, or banished. Yes there probably is one but hows that fun? Fighting things with no chance of wining is pointless. Should they do it at level 1? No but later on when you can take down dragons, ancient evils, and demons why should a tall twisted human get special treatment?

Tyndmyr
2010-10-15, 10:54 PM
It's good to have stats, but you probably don't want the players to know the stats. Doing so changes him from a figure of horror to merely another puzzle and bucket of xp.

I'd be interested in seeing stats for the Cunning Man(Terry Pratchett, I shall wear midnight), though. Great idea, and some classic horror tropes in there that are a bit harder to pull off with standard D&D rules, so a bit more of a challenge.

For instance, the ability to walk off the page of a book is straight classic horror, but I can't think of an obvious D&D ability for it offhand.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-16, 01:06 AM
I'd be interested in seeing stats for the Cunning Man(Terry Pratchett, I shall wear midnight), though. Great idea, and some classic horror tropes in there that are a bit harder to pull off with standard D&D rules, so a bit more of a challenge.

I have never heard of this. Is that a book, or a short story? Is it readily available in USA?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-10-16, 08:39 AM
I can't think of a creepy crawly in any mythos that can't be killed, sealed away, or banished.

Have you read/watched this mythos? Cause that's kinda the point of Slendie. He looks like a slightly abnormal humanoid, but you can't take him down.

In fact, I think it's an unwritten rule among the community that you don't take Slendie down. In fact, the only story I can remember right now that even tried was Seeking Truth (http://openthedoorandyouwillfindme.blogspot.com/), and it didn't really work out for Zeke.

As for where the fun is in that... the Slender Man mythos is very much Your Mileage May Vary. I thought it was terrifying to the point of nightmares, my girlfriend thought it was boring, my one friend thought they were kind of scary, but not good enough to keep watching. I personally enjoy how people cope with their inevitable downfall.

Not to mention that a lot of stories put twists on the mythos. In one story, the Slender Man was more of Slender Men, with different ways of taking you down. The story sort of died off, but the Slender Men were distinct from each other, different colored suits, and showed hints of being slightly more mortal than normal.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-16, 10:02 AM
I have never heard of this. Is that a book, or a short story? Is it readily available in USA?

It's a book, among the discworld series. I heartily reccomend it, along with everything else in the series. You really can't go wrong with Pratchett.

Hell, the author is a knight who forged his own sword out of starmetal, and thanks to legal restrictions, has to keep it hidden. Even in real life, the guy is epic.

Shademan
2010-10-16, 10:16 AM
It's a book, among the discworld series. I heartily reccomend it, along with everything else in the series. You really can't go wrong with Pratchett.

Hell, the author is a knight who forged his own sword out of starmetal, and thanks to legal restrictions, has to keep it hidden. Even in real life, the guy is epic.

what? why must he hide it?

FelixG
2010-10-16, 10:21 AM
I fail to see how the slender man is nightmare fuel

herrhauptmann
2010-10-16, 12:12 PM

And here I thought I'd read all of his discworld books except Maurice and the Rodents, as well as Eric. Is this a new title, newer than Unseen Academicals?

what? why must he hide it?
Laws for blades in England are rather strict I gather. Owning something over 3 inches is automatically a felony I think, with perhaps a caveat saying you need it for work.
Quick! Somebody British or with good google skills provide verification!

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/discworld-author-terry-pratchett-makes-his-own-sword-out-of-meteorites-after-being-knighted-20100921/

chiasaur11
2010-10-16, 04:19 PM
And here I thought I'd read all of his discworld books except Maurice and the Rodents, as well as Eric. Is this a new title, newer than Unseen Academicals?

Newest.

Got mine on order.

randomhero00
2010-10-16, 04:30 PM
I'm confused. Is the slender man completely fictional, or did he start as a "real" (notice the quotes) life horror myth like UFOs and such?

herrhauptmann
2010-10-16, 04:31 PM
Thank you, and I'm now going to abandon this thread. I'm afraid of hearing any spoilers.

To the OP:
Good luck on the Slenderman, but if he's a horror figure, I'd suggest against full stats for him. A good part of proper horror (to me), is the unknown. If the PCs try wildly flailing and attacking, and suddenly discover that he's got an AC of X, and is vulnerable to Sonic, he's suddenly going to be a lot less scary.
Especially if next level the wiz/sorc gets the feat to turn all his feats into sonic spells.

randomhero00
2010-10-16, 04:35 PM
Perhaps there should be a special horror template that changes AC from round to round +/-5 and HPs from encounter to encounter. Could include special abilities and weaknesses too that change. That way they literally can't encounter the same thing twice even though it would have the same flavor.

Like make tables with all the DR things (cold iron, evil, good, etc) and roll randomly for each encounter to see which DR he ends up with.

And then as soon as the players find his weakness he flees. Only to come back with a different array. Sounds cheap but hey, that's horror. :smallbiggrin:

Tiki Snakes
2010-10-16, 04:46 PM

Laws for blades in England are rather strict I gather. Owning something over 3 inches is automatically a felony I think, with perhaps a caveat saying you need it for work.
Quick! Somebody British or with good google skills provide verification!

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/discworld-author-terry-pratchett-makes-his-own-sword-out-of-meteorites-after-being-knighted-20100921/

I'm pretty sure you are allowed to own blades over 3 inches in length. Bread Knives and other kitchen utensils for a start!

Hell, there's a shop in our town selling genuine, sharpened Katana's apparently (No idea of actual quality, mind). I understand in that case the idea is that it's only the replicas and so on that are actually restricted as you would expect. I'm hazy on the details.

I also know a gaggle of re-enactors, who veritably bristle with swords, spears, axes and other potentially horrendous impliments of kind-of-blunted-but-still-dangerous injuryness. They frequently wander around with them only vaguely concealed in sports bags and etc, like weirdly hairy, cider drinking mobsters. No one seems to really mind.

[edit]

I'm confused. Is the slender man completely fictional, or did he start as a "real" (notice the quotes) life horror myth like UFOs and such?

If you're interested there are ways to find out. (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/slender-man)

Eldariel
2010-10-16, 07:53 PM
Obviously a Doppelganger. Heck, that's how they are deciphered in D&D. Doesn't even need anything else. Just straight Doppelganger.

Demons_eye
2010-10-18, 10:07 AM
Have you read/watched this mythos? Cause that's kinda the point of Slendie. He looks like a slightly abnormal humanoid, but you can't take him down.

In fact, I think it's an unwritten rule among the community that you don't take Slendie down. In fact, the only story I can remember right now that even tried was Seeking Truth (http://openthedoorandyouwillfindme.blogspot.com/), and it didn't really work out for Zeke.

As for where the fun is in that... the Slender Man mythos is very much Your Mileage May Vary. I thought it was terrifying to the point of nightmares, my girlfriend thought it was boring, my one friend thought they were kind of scary, but not good enough to keep watching. I personally enjoy how people cope with their inevitable downfall.

Not to mention that a lot of stories put twists on the mythos. In one story, the Slender Man was more of Slender Men, with different ways of taking you down. The story sort of died off, but the Slender Men were distinct from each other, different colored suits, and showed hints of being slightly more mortal than normal.

Yes I have and I don't see the point, same with the lady of pain. Explain it to me please because I just don't see it. Its ok to take down gods or evils from before time but when a Tall human like thing comes around your SOL? Really you are sending him to fight/stalk/haunt Heroes/Villains. They are not normal people that get scared from someone peaking in the window. They see that person teleport/jump through window/walk outside and deal with it like they do everyday the go out to adventure.

Zeta Kai
2010-10-18, 12:01 PM

This site (http://marblehornets.wikidot.com/) will answer any questions that you may have about the Slender Man, particularly this page (http://marblehornets.wikidot.com/slender-man). Also, this page (http://marblehornets.wikidot.com/the-entries) is a good viewer's guide to Marble Hornets, if you're interested in seeing what all the fuss is about.

Tiki Snakes
2010-10-18, 12:16 PM
Yes I have and I don't see the point, same with the lady of pain. Explain it to me please because I just don't see it. Its ok to take down gods or evils from before time but when a Tall human like thing comes around your SOL? Really you are sending him to fight/stalk/haunt Heroes/Villains. They are not normal people that get scared from someone peaking in the window. They see that person teleport/jump through window/walk outside and deal with it like they do everyday the go out to adventure.

I partially agree. It's worth not over-statting him because he really shouldn't be around to be fought in that sense.

BUT, it also doesn't make sense to send him against higher level heroes, who should have a chance against such a creature. So really, it depends partially on the level of the PC's.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-18, 12:35 PM

It is newer than Unseen Academicals...the newest, I believe. I keep fairly close tabs on the series, I do believe I've read them all so far. This includes such things as "Have you seen my cow".

Back on the original topic, if he has stats, you can kill him, sure. Just make sure the weakness isn't that easy to discover, and he's not easy to kill through blind application of random force. In horror, or action horror, it's not uncommon to eventually discover a vulnerability in the monster, and work to kill it using that. What makes it horror is how you get there.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-18, 12:48 PM

Pray you never find out. Man have before when they did to little avail.

ericgrau
2010-10-18, 12:57 PM
Some form of stealth could prevent a "if it has stats we can kill it" fight. Maybe a series of illusions / disguises combined with maddening enchantments. Charm, domination or similar could be good both for anyone that gets in his way along with leading victims to their doom. Effectiveness in all of the above can be handled simply by having a high level. Modify memory could help too, and really the whole illusion, enchantment, sneakiness meme lends itself to bard in general. As a bonus bards can cast nightmare and mind fog.