PDA

View Full Version : Win 2k SP2 update help

The_Admiral
2010-10-15, 09:45 PM
My father is trying to update an old windows me computer to windows 2k everything was going fine until the computer asked for service pack 2 disk what does it mean?

Mando Knight
2010-10-15, 11:28 PM
It means, in part, that you're supposed to update immediately to the second service pack for an OS that's a decade old. Back then, you couldn't always just download your Service Packs off the internet like you can now.

If you don't have the disk, then you should remember that Win 2k was last updated five years ago, and is now no longer supported by Microsoft. The effort to find someone with a good 2K SP2 disk probably isn't worth it, since there's no official supply and no real demand.

Rawhide
2010-10-16, 12:31 AM
It's looking for a Windows 2000 CD that comes with Service Pack 2 preinstalled.

The latest service pack is Service Pack 4 and installing this before retrying the operation should fix your problem. You should also have the latest service for multiple reasons, including stability and security. You can find it from Microsoft's site here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1001aaf1-749f-49f4-8010-297bd6ca33a0&displaylang=en).

Mando Knight
2010-10-16, 01:23 AM
...Considering that it's unsupported, I didn't even think of checking Microsoft for a link. I assumed that they pulled all support, including SP downloads. Lucky I was wrong, I guess...

The_Admiral
2010-10-16, 02:09 AM
So how should i transfer it to a computer without internet USB?

Gullara
2010-10-16, 02:30 AM
So how should i transfer it to a computer without internet USB?

I believe that you can do it with USB. I seem to recall doing the same thing.

The_Admiral
2010-10-16, 06:19 AM
It does not work i put in the usb and then nothing i switched it on the pc went to the selection screen for the source of the program and then nothing no response

Runestar
2010-10-16, 06:27 AM
This thread reminds me, I had been having these 3 windows updates (some kind of .net security update) that keep trying to install, but failing every time for almost 2 months now. Previously, I could just ignore them with the "don't install at shutdown" option but now, it seems that popups asking me if I wish to restart my PC are starting to turn up.

Anyone having this issue? Any solutions? Starting to become more than just a minor inconvenience. :smallconfused:

The error is 0x643, I googled and the key advice was to uninstall earlier .net program before reinstalling the latest copy. However, I am not very tech savvy, so I am quite hesitant to do this for fear to screwing something up.

Rawhide
2010-10-16, 06:36 AM
It does not work i put in the usb and then nothing i switched it on the pc went to the selection screen for the source of the program and then nothing no response

Have you installed Service Pack 4 yet? You need to run the executable file and install it, it will ask you to restart the computer.

The_Admiral
2010-10-16, 07:37 AM
I cant that's the problem the pc wont finish "setup" until i install the service pack

Rawhide
2010-10-16, 07:48 AM
Oh, you're still in the process of installing Windows 2000? Hmm.

Every file you need for the install should be on the Windows 2000 CD. Try pointing it at the original CD. Note though, I would strongly advise against doing an upgrade installation. You should cancel the installation, back up any files you need, format the drive, then start from scratch. Particularly when doing an upgrade from ME -> 2000, as ME was released after 2000.

You could also try cancelling the upgrade installation, then slipstreaming Service Pack 4 onto a new Windows 2000 installation CD. Instructions for that are here (http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2000_sp_slipstreaming.htm).

The_Admiral
2010-10-16, 08:23 AM
Thanks the SP is in the disk:smallredface:

Rawhide
2010-10-16, 08:28 AM
This thread reminds me, I had been having these 3 windows updates (some kind of .net security update) that keep trying to install, but failing every time for almost 2 months now. Previously, I could just ignore them with the "don't install at shutdown" option but now, it seems that popups asking me if I wish to restart my PC are starting to turn up.

Anyone having this issue? Any solutions? Starting to become more than just a minor inconvenience. :smallconfused:

The error is 0x643, I googled and the key advice was to uninstall earlier .net program before reinstalling the latest copy. However, I am not very tech savvy, so I am quite hesitant to do this for fear to screwing something up.

This sounds like what you should do then.

Runestar
2010-10-17, 06:48 AM
This sounds like what you should do then.

And that is exactly what I did. Problem solved. Apparently.

Funny how it takes someone else to tell me to do it because it makes sense and I actually start doing it. :smallsigh: