PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Feint?

lost_my_NHL
2010-10-15, 10:58 PM
Is there a feat or class skill that allows a feint attack to deny an opponent dexterity bonus for a ranged attack? I want my Warlock/ Rogue to be able to just tear it up? If not, how about this feat I just made up?

Knuckleball (or curveball)
Prerequisite: Precise shot, 15 dex
Special: you may choose to take a -3 penalty on your attack roll for a ranged attack to deny the targeted enemy his dexterity bonus to AC. If the enemy has a dexterity bonus of +3 or higher, your penalty must be at least equal to the bonus you are removing.
Normal: You can only feint a threatened square, it only applies to melee attacks, and it requires a separate standard action from the attack.

I realize that this is part rules question, part homebrew. I thought it was primarily rules, so I put it in this forum.

Tvtyrant
2010-10-15, 11:26 PM
Is there a feat or class skill that allows a feint attack to deny an opponent dexterity bonus for a ranged attack? I want my Warlock/ Rogue to be able to just tear it up? If not, how about this feat I just made up?

Knuckleball (or curveball)
Prerequisite: Precise shot, 15 dex
Special: you may choose to take a -3 penalty on your attack roll for a ranged attack to deny the targeted enemy his dexterity bonus to AC. If the enemy has a dexterity bonus of +3 or higher, your penalty must be at least equal to the bonus you are removing.
Normal: You can only feint a threatened square, it only applies to melee attacks, and it requires a separate standard action from the attack.

I realize that this is part rules question, part homebrew. I thought it was primarily rules, so I put it in this forum.
Impromptu sneak attack from Arcane Trickster does I believe. Other then that I don't know.

gorfnab
2010-10-16, 04:45 AM
Feat: Bow Feint - Dragon Magazine #350, page 90 - Sounds exactly what your looking for, only has Point Blank Shot as a prereq, and works with any ranged weapon.

Darrin
2010-10-16, 01:25 PM
There's also the Ranger "Distracting Attack" ACF in PHBII. But I think that counts as flanked, not flat-footed.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-16, 02:11 PM
This isn't exactly what you were asking for, but it might help.

First, there's actually no RAW requirement of melee proximity to feint in combat. The benefits of feinting are limited to your next melee attack, but the feint itself could theoretically be done at range. If you've got to spend a round closing for melee anyway, why not?

Second, the Ranger's Distracting Attack ACF (Players Handbook II, page 55) trades their animal companion for the ability to be considered flanking each enemy they hit, including at range. If you want your Rogue "to be able to just tear it up" and your party has a Ranger, this could be a good enabler for sneak attack.

gorfnab
2010-10-16, 04:01 PM
On a side note I think Bloodstorm Blade's second level ability, Thunderous Throw, would allow for feinting with thrown weapons.