PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Non-power uses of power points?

Flickerdart
2010-10-15, 11:27 PM
Since PP is based on your manifester level and different pools stack, it should be rather simple to get a bucketful of them on your way to having a fire whip or something. However, once the few powers you may have had early in your career become useless, what can you turn them to?

The two things I've noticed are Reach Gauntlets from the MIC (1PP, +5ft reach) and deep crystal weapons from the XPH (2PP, +2d6 damage as a free action, so nova is possible). Are there any others?

AslanCross
2010-10-16, 12:04 AM
There are some feats in Races of Eberron that use them, if I'm not mistaken. I'm AFB right now so I can't cite which ones.

Endarire
2010-10-16, 02:45 AM
Deep Crystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/specialMaterials.htm)
2 PP = +2d6 damage. Melee weapons retain this bonus damage until they hit or for 1 minute.

Greenish
2010-10-16, 04:57 AM
There's a ToB feat that allows one to expend Psionic Focus and PP to regain a used maneuver. It has a daily limit, though, if my memory serves.

AslanCross
2010-10-16, 05:31 AM
Apparently I was wrong. None of the Kalashtar racial feats require the expenditure of PP.

JeminiZero
2010-10-16, 06:27 AM
One possible use is to play an Elan (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Elan), and burn your PP on resilience, resistance and repletion.

dsmiles
2010-10-16, 06:49 AM
One possible use is to play an Elan (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Elan), and burn your PP on resilience, resistance and repletion.

Awesome ability, repletion, and as an added bonus: I'm an Aberration, YAY! :smallbiggrin:

Jallorn
2010-10-16, 11:41 AM
I believe you may have made a mistake, most powers never really become useless, they scale in a way spells don't.

Nero24200
2010-10-16, 12:06 PM
I believe you may have made a mistake, most powers never really become useless, they scale in a way spells don't.

Pretty much, and it's one of the elements of the Psionic System that I like. The only way powers become useless with level is if you take the handful of powers that aren't augmentable and don't really work at high levels (though I cannot think of any such power off the top of my head which falls into two catagories).

To my knowledge, the only abilities which spend power points without the use of powers are the Elan Racial Features, A Deep Crystal Weapon and one of the feats from Tome of Battle.

Greenish
2010-10-16, 12:22 PM
I believe you may have made a mistake, most powers never really become useless, they scale in a way spells don't.He means if you only dip to a psionic class, in which case your ML won't continue to advance. There aren't many powers worth actions in combat in higher levels, if you can't properly augment them.

Psyren
2010-10-16, 01:14 PM
He means if you only dip to a psionic class, in which case your ML won't continue to advance. There aren't many powers worth actions in combat in higher levels, if you can't properly augment them.

There are plenty of low level powers that stay useful even if your ML don't increase. Hustle, Call to Mind, Synchronicity, Psionic Identify and Tongues, Sustenance...

Granted, not many of those are combat (though the two that are are doozies) but if you wanted psionics for combat use you'd be a primary manifester anyway.

Dilb
2010-10-16, 06:20 PM
The pyrokineticist uses 1PP/round to firewalk (walk on air). It's probably the least useful way possible to spend excess PP.