PDA

View Full Version : Problem with the character builder (4E)

Mystic Muse
2010-10-16, 01:56 AM
Now, the character builder has helped me a lot. It's given me access to books I either don't have on hand, or do but don't feel like searching through them for something I might not find, things specific to a single class for example. However, it does have one glaring problem.

I can't create homebrew with it.

Now, if this were just impossible, I'd be fine with that. However, when I try and create say, a new class all that shows up is three entries. Name, notes, and short. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but this just makes me angry. I have a perfectly good third party class one of my players uses when he gets back from college, and I can't seem to put it in the character builder without it being way more trouble than it's worth.

So, am I just doing something wrong or did WOTC just not want to make it remotely worth it for somebody to do their own rules for the game?

As a side note, if anybody knows any good Necromancer homebrews for 4th edition, I'd like to look at them.

WitchSlayer
2010-10-16, 02:24 AM
Not sure what to tell you with the problem, but as far as Necromancers go, if you can wait a year they're coming out with Dread Necro.

Mystic Muse
2010-10-16, 02:39 AM
I don't really see much reason to. I'm sure I can either find one, or just use my goodman games version. Granted, I can't use it in a sanctioned game but I don't go to those anyway.

dsmiles
2010-10-16, 07:26 AM
WOTC just not want to make it remotely worth it for somebody to do their own rules for the game?

Nailed it with this one.

Artanis
2010-10-16, 10:45 AM
[Devil's advocate]

Making it easy to do something as extensive as making an entirely new class would undoubtedly be a b**** and a half to program.

dsmiles is probably right, mind you, but the programming difficulties certainly can't help matters :smalltongue:

[/Devil's advocate]

gurban
2010-10-16, 12:17 PM
CB is awesome, but if you want to homebrew a whole class, you'll have to fill out your character sheet the old fashioned way. and make up and fill out your powers by hand.

Mystic Muse
2010-10-16, 01:51 PM
I was just hoping I'd missed something and somebody could help me. I can do it by hand but being able to do it by character builder is easier.