PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Attacks as a Standard Action(3.X)

Gelscressor
2010-10-16, 02:26 PM
There's, more or less, general consensus that most spellcasters end up more powerful than melee types in 3e(be it 3.5 or PF). Personally, one of the things I perceive as a glaring issue is the discrepancy between a spellcaster being able to cast level 9 spells as a standard action, while a melee type can only make 1 attack as a standard action.

So I was thinking, as a fix(it's by no means all inclusive though and there are still lots of other issues and what not); what if you'd allow more than one attack as a standard action?

Say, for instance...:
A character may make up to 1/2 of their amount of attacks + 1/2 an attack as a standard action, rounded down. So a character with a BAB of +16 can make 3 attacks as a standard action. Dual/Multi Wielding is not treated differently and uses the same formula, but can not use up all his attacks with one attack type, nor may he may more attacks with one attack type than he normally could -1 . So a character with 4 attacks main hand, 3 off hand(7 total) in a full round, can make 4 attacks total as a standard action; 3 main hand and 1 off hand. A Marilith (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#marilith) that can make a total of 10 attacks in a full round(4 main hand, 5 ''off hands'', 1 tail slap), may make 5 attacks total; 3 main hand, 2 ''off hands''.

Or would this actually be unbalanced?

I'd note that I did try to search for this topic, but I didn't find much and certainly not something that goes as far as my suggestion.

jiriku
2010-10-16, 06:15 PM
Might as well simplify and grant the ability to full attack as a standard action. You can further boost melee by making this ability a class feature of monster hit dice and non-casting base and prestige classes, so that spellcasters are locked out of the deal.

Pyre_Born
2010-10-17, 07:20 AM
Might as well simplify and grant the ability to full attack as a standard action. You can further boost melee by making this ability a class feature of monster hit dice and non-casting base and prestige classes, so that spellcasters are locked out of the deal.

I'm gonna agree here and say just make Full attack into a standard action. I figure Fighters, and melee characters in general need a major boost to hold their own in scale with casters.

I'll see what I can workup and post some ideas, see if anything helps you out if you want.

Peace,
Pyre