PDA

View Full Version : Work on a new Psionic Base/Prestige Class?

Starsign
2010-10-16, 02:29 PM
Hello. I was thinking of making a new Psionic class, one that partially revolved around a Psionic "pet" or "partner" that the character creates with their Psionic abilities, something akin to a Druid's or Ranger's pet, rather than the Psicrystals from the Psion class. I'm thinking of it being like a Psionic, more combat oriented variation of the Druid class.

Maybe it could also be a prestige class where Psicrystals can transform into a being for combat or something similar. Any thoughts or ideas?

Pyromancer999
2010-10-16, 03:02 PM
Have you seen the Id Forger by Dreamscarred Press? It's a prestige class that revolves around advancing a manifestation of your inner desires(represented by an improved Astral Construct)

Also, I believe that there is a class that is essentially a psionic Druid, in which the psicrystal of the character becomes like an animal.

Hope this provides some inspiration for your class.

Zaydos
2010-10-16, 03:12 PM
Well I can think of a few things you could do:
1. have some crystalline construct companion similar to a psi-crystal but actually made for battle.
2. have a continual astral construct.
3. Psionic link with an animal.

I'd honestly prefer the 3rd.

Either way I'd advice bad BAB and an extended reach for shared spells (either like Companion Spellbond feat from PHBII or the one from dragon magazine that makes it function out to 1 mile with familiars).

Give them a selected list heavy in psychometabolism (buffs), and either metacreativity (if you go astral construct) or telepathy (if you go mind-link).

Starsign
2010-10-16, 03:24 PM
Have you seen the Id Forger by Dreamscarred Press? It's a prestige class that revolves around advancing a manifestation of your inner desires(represented by an improved Astral Construct)

Also, I believe that there is a class that is essentially a psionic Druid, in which the psicrystal of the character becomes like an animal.
Could you see if you can link me to those? I can't find them.

Well I can think of a few things you could do:
1. have some crystalline construct companion similar to a psi-crystal but actually made for battle.
2. have a continual astral construct.
3. Psionic link with an animal.

I'd honestly prefer the 3rd.

Either way I'd advice bad BAB and an extended reach for shared spells (either like Companion Spellbond feat from PHBII or the one from dragon magazine that makes it function out to 1 mile with familiars).

Give them a selected list heavy in psychometabolism (buffs), and either metacreativity (if you go astral construct) or telepathy (if you go mind-link).
I'm thinking more of the 2nd option you offered. Also I don't really have access to any of the books outside of the SRD... Maybe I'm not cut out for this... :smallsigh:

Thanks for the help though!

Zaydos
2010-10-16, 03:29 PM
Well the two feats I listed just extend the range of Share Spells so you don't really need anything outside the SRD (I have a tendency to cite ways things can be done in the rules already as they provide measuring sticks and get people not to scream "that's totally broken" over things that are weaker than options already found in the books).

Really I could have said: why not allow them to share spells with their companion from 5-ft per class level instead of just 5-ft.

Starsign
2010-10-16, 06:59 PM
Alright, how does this look for the class so far? (I'm trying for a base class)

Dice: d8
{table=head]BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|PP/Day|P Known|Max P
+1|+0|+0|+2|2|1|1st
+1|+0|+0|+3|6|2|1st
+2|+1|+1|+3|11|3|1st
+3|+1|+1|+4|17|4|2nd
+3|+1|+1|+4|25|5|2nd
+4|+2|+2|+5|35|6|2nd
+5|+2|+2|+6|46|7|3rd
+5|+2|+2|+6|58|8|3rd
+6/1|+3|+3|+6|72|9|3rd
+6/1|+3|+3|+7|88|10|4th
+7/2|+3|+3|+7|106|11|4th
+7/2|+4|+4|+8|126|12|4th
+8/3|+4|+4|+8|147|13|5th
+9/4|+4|+4|+9|170|14|5th
+9/4|+5|+5|+9|295|15|5th
+10/5/1|+5|+5|+10|221|16|6th
+10/5/1|+5|+5|+10|250|17|6th
+11/6/2|+6|+6|+11|280|18|6th
+11/6/2|+6|+6|+11|311|19|6th
+12/7/2|+6|+6|+12|343|20|6th[/table]

Zaydos
2010-10-16, 07:07 PM
Can't really say much till the companion's progression is up. The psychic warrior power progression is something I thought about suggesting and I'm left pondering how coupling psion/wilder power point progression on will affect it.

Starsign
2010-10-16, 07:32 PM
Can't really say much till the companion's progression is up. The psychic warrior power progression is something I thought about suggesting and I'm left pondering how coupling psion/wilder power point progression on will affect it.

I'll need to look up the SRD for that, though I'm likely to need help as I haven't quite planned how I am going to work on this. Maybe by giving it it's own sheet like the one above?
Meanwhile I need to think about good feats for levels (other than what you already recommended).

Melayl
2010-10-16, 09:58 PM

Hope this provides some inspiration for your class.

Could you see if you can link me to those? I can't find them.
Maybe I'm not cut out for this... :smallsigh:

The Dreamscarred Press SRD (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/introduction) will be helpful.

Of course you're cut out for this. If you have the desire to do it, then you can do it. Of course, the fine folks here can help you do it better (since you're asking them to).

I'd suggest the linked animal or the "permanent" astral construct, myself.

Good luck, and keep at it.

Starsign
2010-10-16, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the link! That's really useful.

I'm thinking this is a class that summons a special astral construct permanently, who differs from the normal astral construct (how it does, I'm still figuring that out, any advice?) The class would allow use of any Metacreativity powers (but no others). The special astral construct would have it's own will, being one that was willingly sacrificed for the character's cause (could allow some good RP). Other ideas will come later.

What do you think this would be better as, a base or prestige class?

Zaydos
2010-10-16, 11:09 PM
Either could work, although I'd point out that if it is a PrC it probably shouldn't be limited to just one discipline of powers.

Aran Banks
2010-10-16, 11:37 PM
My suggestion:

Take Psychic Warrior, move the Fort Save to a Will Save, remove the bonus feats, and add Animal Companion.

You could also add some spell-to-power stuff (making bull's strength a level 2 power worth 3 pp). The biggest part of the project would be the power list, in that case. In theory, you could totally just transpose the Druid spell list onto the class (spell levels 1-6) and say "NO ENHANCEMENTS, HA!" or limit advancements to DC increases or something...

That'd actually be a very nice class, if a bit strong.

Pyromancer999
2010-10-17, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the link! That's really useful.

I'm thinking this is a class that summons a special astral construct permanently, who differs from the normal astral construct (how it does, I'm still figuring that out, any advice?) The class would allow use of any Metacreativity powers (but no others). The special astral construct would have it's own will, being one that was willingly sacrificed for the character's cause (could allow some good RP). Other ideas will come later.

This sounds a lot like the Id Forger (http://watermark.drivethrustuff.com/pdf_previews/57208-sample.pdf)