PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted] Can people just "think into being" a god?

Leliel
2010-10-16, 05:36 PM
Just got the Compass of Celestial Directions on Yu-Shan yesterday, and a thought struck me: How are new gods made, actually?

I mean, I have the Roll of Glorious Divinity, so I know least gods are a jade scrip a dozen on particularly divinity-famished days. On the other hand, we have Ahlat, who for no apparent reason, changed job description from God of Bull Walruses Competing For Mates to God of Cattle and from there gained War in his purview (note that I'm not sure which order the latter two occurred, so don't quote me on that), becoming a rather powerful Celestial in the process.

So, let's say a Thousand Streamer/bored Zenith/mated combo of the two decide some Wyld tribe needs a god to unify around. Since spirits willing to take on the welfare of a single barbarian tribe with no real resources are in short supply, the benefactor(s) decide to paint a rather impressive-looking rock with a face, introduce it in some flashy fashion to the tribe as the physical purview of Patrick Feldsparan, God of Granite, and end up building a good-sized Cult around "him".

Now, this rock has a least god in it. Assuming the Cult grows large enough, does the least god start answering to the name of Patrick Feldsparan and become an actual God of Shiny, Tough Rocks?

golentan
2010-10-16, 05:43 PM
They can't just "think one into being," but the path you describe could eventually boost a least god into being.

For the most part, new gods in Yu-Shan get "hired" from the unemployed there, and gods in creation get "promoted" from least god of whatevers. New gods come into existence naturally (when something is created) or by reproduction of existing gods rather than wishing into existence. Depending which of the mutually contradictory sources you prefer to cite, of course.

Terraoblivion
2010-10-16, 06:15 PM
However, if a pair of Celestial exalts wanted to get a god for their tribe, i'm pretty sure there would be quite a few ambitious but unemployed gods who would be willing taking their chances betting on the project succeeding. Or at least taking their chances that they could curry the favor of the exalts and move on to bigger and better things.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-16, 06:16 PM
There are a lot of unemployed gods in Yu-Shan. A bad job is better than no job.

There are a ton of candidates to be the god of a local barbarian tribe.

golentan
2010-10-16, 06:27 PM
Ah, but given the attitudes in Yu Shan towards creation, would such a god be willing to give up celestial status to become an employed but terrestrial god?

Terraoblivion
2010-10-16, 06:38 PM
Probably yes, in many cases. But it would also be quite a step up for a lot of terrestrial gods. And that is without touching on the career prospects of currying the favor of a pair of celestial exalts.