PDA

View Full Version : tutorial?

zyborg
2010-10-16, 06:56 PM
Is there any site that gives a good tutorial on 3.5e character creation? That has always been the hardest part for me in the different types of RPGs I've been in, and I've only made 1 D&D 3.5 character. I'm looking to use a homebrewed race/class... but I need help making the character.

Savannah
2010-10-16, 07:10 PM
I don't know of anything like that, unfortunately. I don't know what you're needing help with, but I'd be happy to answer questions, either here or via PM.

zyborg
2010-10-16, 07:26 PM
Oh. Cool. Thanks.

EDIT:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7947714&postcount=13

That's the Mind Flayer I'm using.... I need help with the skills and the HP... the Hit Dice being 8, I start at 8 HP and gain 1d8 HP per level?

Greenish
2010-10-16, 07:47 PM
That's the Mind Flayer I'm using.... I need help with the skills and the HP... the Hit Dice being 8, I start at 8 HP and gain 1d8 HP per level?You start with 8+Con modifier hitpoints, and each level you gain 1d8+Con modifier hitpoints.

You start with 4*(4+Int modifier) skillpoints on first level, and each level after that gain 4+int modifier more. You can invest skill points 1:1 to skills on your class skill list, with the maximum of level+3. For skills not in your skill list, you gain 1 rank for each 2 skillpoints you spend, and your maximum skill rank is (level+3)/2.

You could also read the Players Handbook or SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/).

zyborg
2010-10-16, 07:52 PM
Thank you very much.

Elfin
2010-10-16, 08:05 PM
My PM box is definitely open as well, if you need any help.
Additionally, if you're new to the game, the beginning of the PHB has a step-by-step guide for creating first level characters that's not half bad.

zyborg
2010-10-16, 08:47 PM
My PM box is definitely open as well, if you need any help.
Additionally, if you're new to the game, the beginning of the PHB has a step-by-step guide for creating first level characters that's not half bad.

PHB? Where's that?

Savannah
2010-10-16, 08:49 PM
PHB = Player's Handbook

There's a ton more standard book abbreviations; I think there's a thread of them somewhere, but I don't know where.

zyborg
2010-10-16, 08:51 PM
I don't own the handbook to 3.5, only 4. Also, I'm making a level 1 Mind Flayer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7947714&postcount=13)

EDIT: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=247647 how's this? Besides equipment and fluff...

Savannah
2010-10-16, 08:56 PM
The guidelines will still apply regardless of what class/race you're making.

What, exactly, are you wanting to know from the tutorial?
How to do things (specify what things: skills, feats, weapon selection, etc)? What order to do things? Whether you've done things right (post what you've got so far, and someone can check it)?

Urpriest
2010-10-16, 08:56 PM
I don't own the handbook to 3.5, only 4. Also, I'm making a level 1 Mind Flayer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7947714&postcount=13)

EDIT: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=247647 how's this? Besides equipment and fluff...

You forgot to include your Base Save Bonuses.

zyborg
2010-10-16, 08:59 PM
You forgot to include your Base Save Bonuses.

... I did that the last time, too. Thanks.
EDIT: Crud, what are the base saves for one of these guys?

Urpriest
2010-10-16, 09:03 PM
... I did that the last time, too. Thanks.

Also, you should probably write out your attack bonus with your tentacles, and I'm a little confused as to why you took so many skills at 2 ranks, rather than getting max ranks in fewer skills.

Edit: And you haven't included the Natural Armor bonus you get from Mind Flayer Body, and it doesn't look like you've taken into account the effect of Battle of Minds on your social skills.

zyborg
2010-10-16, 09:07 PM
Also, you should probably write out your attack bonus with your tentacles, and I'm a little confused as to why you took so many skills at 2 ranks, rather than getting max ranks in fewer skills.

I thought maximum skill rank was (level+3)/2?

Urpriest
2010-10-16, 09:07 PM
I thought maximum skill rank was (level+3)/2?

That's for cross-class skills. For class skills it's level+3. Your sheet has the correct numbers at the beginning of the skills section.

zyborg
2010-10-16, 09:12 PM
Oh, my bad. So... if I took these skills, it wouldn't be good?

Urpriest
2010-10-16, 09:14 PM
Oh, my bad. So... if I took these skills, it wouldn't be good?

It depends on what you want this character to do. You're weaker than you could be, since some of your skills are two points lower than they could be. It might not ever be a problem depending on how often you'll be using skills. There's nothing wrong with your skill choices per se, I'm just pointing out that you could have focused your ranks more if you chose to.

zyborg
2010-10-16, 09:18 PM
Oh. Okay. I'll guess I'll leave these stats like this. Two more questions...

Two of those tentacles can be used as natural attacks dealing 1d4+Str damage each. The mind flayer becomes able to use one extra tentacle as a natural attack for each 3 HD it possesses (3 tentacles with 3 HD, 4 tentacles with 6 HD, 5 tentacles with 9 HD, ect).

since they already start out with HD of 8, wouldn't that mean I automatically get 4 tentacles?

And how do I find the saving throws for the Mind Flayer? would it be the +2 in the level 1 row under Will?

Urpriest
2010-10-16, 09:23 PM
Oh. Okay. I'll guess I'll leave these stats like this. Two more questions...

since they already start out with HD of 8, wouldn't that mean I automatically get 4 tentacles?

No no no. You are thinking of the Mind Flayer in the monster manual. Ignore that. You look like one of those, and your class was designed to fight roughly like one at eighth level. However, you are not that Mind Flayer, you are the Mind Flayer in the class description. You don't gain the monster manual Mind Flayer's ability score adjustments, for example. You have one hit die because you have one level (remember that 8+Con hit points? That's your first hit die.)

And how do I find the saving throws for the Mind Flayer? would it be the +2 in the level 1 row under Will?

Yes. That part of the class table gives your base saves by level.

Savannah
2010-10-16, 09:24 PM
You start with 1 HD. Said HD is a d8. Very different things, although I can see the confusion.

Edit: Just like Urpriest said.

zyborg
2010-10-16, 09:28 PM
You start with 1 HD. Said HD is a d8. Very different things, although I can see the confusion.

Edit: Just like Urpriest said.

Thanks. I hate feeling stupid.

Savannah
2010-10-16, 09:33 PM
No problem. It's easy to forget how much jargon we use once you're used to it!