PDA

View Full Version : Good module for noobs?

boomwolf
2010-10-16, 07:38 PM
Pretty much self-explanatory...

I'm trying to get a few friends to know the game (dnd 3.5 that is), they played multiple RPGs on the PC before, including DnD based ones (NWN and such...), some even played older DnD versions (or DnD world but pretty much with all rules thrown off the window in one case...)

So, I'm looking for a good adventure to get them familiar with the game, preferably something starting at level 3 or so, being not too complex yet characters have some minimal power in their hands. (the way I see it, level 1 and 2 are people who never did ANYTHING in their lives, even a measly farmer gets a few levels on the way, in the form of roleplay XP...)

The intended party size is 4, but I might have a little less (not sure everyone would take at that one, but hopefully they will show up later due to good refferances from the people that does show up.)
I assume I can worse-case-scenario add in a DNPC to handle what the PC's cant (say, if they got no trap monky or no healer), but that's a last resort. and even if I do make one they will be lower level support characters at most.

I'm hoping to cover all bases if I can. some role-play, a small crawl, a puzzle or two, a bit of fighting. not too focused on any one theme, I want to see how they react to each situation. if the module has some built-in introduction its all the better. and probably something not too compelling to any alignment, they would probably be a more neutral mercenary sort from my knowing of them...

Nothing too long either, it should be an adventure that we can finish in a 2 or 3 sessions despite most players being total noobs. I want this to be some sort of a test adventure, to let them see what is available, and they will probably make somebody else for future adventures. (unless they want to keep the current)

So, anyone has a suggestion?

Valameer
2010-10-16, 07:58 PM
Shadows of the Last War by Keith Baker is a module written for the Eberron Camapaign Setting. I've found it to be pretty fun.

It's technically for 2nd level adventurers, but since these guys are new, allowing them to start 3rd level will work just fine.

It's got travelling, roleplaying, some puzzles, and an intro to a lot of Eberron lore.

All in all, it's a pretty good starting adventure. It also can directly continue from the small adventure in the Eberron book, and continues on to other modules, if your group would like to continue with their story.

boomwolf
2010-10-16, 08:23 PM
Interesting...but is there something a bit less setting-specific? I'm kina into running my own world with them (small scale. I'm only building what is around them and anything not important in the short range is outright ignored...thats how I do every party I DM for, and it works out quite well.)

Valameer
2010-10-16, 08:30 PM
As soon as I posted, I figured this would be a problem :smallsmile:

I should have looked at your sig' first.

Sorry, the only other module for that level I've played was The Forge of Fury. It's written for 3.0, not 3.5. It wouldn't be too difficult to convert, though.

While being not bad for a dungeon crawl, that's pretty much all it is. Few puzzles, few roleplaying opportunities, just slogging through a massive mountain fortress and hacking away at everything within.

The fights are set up in a good way, lots of little tactical introductions. But that's pretty much all there is to it.

It is almost completely generic setting-wise, though, so you could put it anywhere.

Hopefully this bump will get you some better replies.