PDA

View Full Version : Combat at high levels

Cheesy74
2010-10-16, 10:01 PM
My players just hit level 14 and I'm trying to challenge them in combat without forcing them to kill their opponents or be killed the second the monsters' turn comes around. What are some rules I can follow to keep my players challenged but not in mortal danger on a per-round basis as the game transitions to very high levels (ending this campaign at level 18)?

Crossblade
2010-10-16, 10:10 PM
Multiple lower level enemies? DMG page 49
For example, level 14 party can take on...
2 lv 12 monsters.
5-6 level 9 monsters.
10-12 level 7 monsters.

Lower damage dealing monsters = more hits required = no insta-kills

Crow
2010-10-16, 10:16 PM
With my group, I used multiple lower level encounters to wear them down a bit. I also made sure the smaller encounters weren't dictated by them. One small engagement in the dungeon would bring in all sorts of smaller groups responding to the ruckus.

This worked until about 18. Then you start busting out a "pre-boss" or two. Actually, that could work anyways.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-16, 10:19 PM
The problem I see swith multiple lower level enemies, is that they are specially vulnerable to AoE tactics, thought that might depend on the party composition

Other than that I suggest using battlefields that hinder the PC, near lava so each round they take fire damage, which will not kill them but might hinder them in the long run (just an idea I thought of the top of my head)