PDA

View Full Version : 4e Powers homebrew

Castiel
2010-10-16, 11:45 PM
so, I think this goes here. Basically, it seems odd that at tenth level in 4e you have your at will which does 1w, then you have one of your dalies which is gonna do around 2w. This just seems odd to me that as you gain levels, you never get better at casting the spells you learned several levels ago. I was wondering if there was any system that had been home-brewed where after a certain amount of levels a power can be used more often?

PopcornMage
2010-10-17, 12:56 AM
Don't many 4e abilities have bonuses as you gain tiers? Or is that not enough of an improvement for you?

Shadow_Elf
2010-10-17, 01:03 AM
Making lower-level powers more frequent would not be balanceable. For example, sleep as an encounter power would break the game easily by itself. The power replacement system isn't good enough for you?

Castiel
2010-10-17, 09:10 AM
I dont know. I haven't really played an actual game, but it just seems odd to me fluff wise, not balance wise. I can understand why they would do that, and also just to keep it simple, but it still just irks me. Anyway, another question I had, is it possibly to use like an action point to reuse a power that has already been spent?

elpollo
2010-10-17, 10:03 AM
You seem to be forgetting that you do get better at casting it. At level 1 you have no hope of affecting Orcus with your magic (ok, a 1 in 20 hope), whereas at level 30 you have a much more significant chance. You also deal more damage, assuming you're not boosting unimportant stats - a Wizard with 18 intelligence at level 1 might be doig 1d6+4 damage, whereas a level 30 Wizard can be doing 2d6+8 plus any bonuses from magic items/feats/other sources.

This also holds true for level 10, where you will have at least +6 to hit and +1 damage more than your level 1 counterpart without accounting for magic items or feats.

PopcornMage also raises a good point - the higher level powers can easily be refluffed into either the same spell or a natural more powerful progression of the spell.

RebelRogue
2010-10-17, 10:10 AM
Most At-Wills cause more damage dice at epic tier, i.e. level 21. But before that, stat increases and the bonus from ½ you level means it powers up anyway. Also some of them may get other boosts through certain feats and items. It's all indirectly, but they do get better!

Edit: Also, please try the system before you houserule or homebrew stuff! It only leads to tears.

Castiel
2010-10-20, 03:46 PM
I feel like I may have been slightly misunderstood... I have played the system before, just not past fifth level, because the games I'm involved in tend to end rather quickly. My question didn't pertain to the levels I had played, thats why I said "I haven't played an actual game". I am familiar with the system, however only at lower levels.

I have no problem with the system. However, from a fluff perspective, where in the beginning of a class section it says that a daily power is where you are stressing yourself to your limits to perform a certain task, it seems odd that at tenth level you are still have to stress yourself to your limits to accomplish the same feet. And Yes, I guess when you swap abilities that can represent you getting better at a task, and following a natural advancement, but it still seems odd to me.

Again, not a mechanical problem, just a fluff problem.

My question then, was is there a way to use lower level powers more often? Again, since I haven't played at higher levels I don't really know if this is an issue (I'm really wondering simply to satisfy my own problem with the explanation), but it seems like at tenth level your daily spell from your first level is a significant amount of the powers you can use (I don't have the numbers in front of me so that power might have already been changed out), and it seems odd that it isn't going to really compare to your higher level spells although it costs just as much. I might not be wording my question clearly, or even voicing my problem clearly enough, so if I have made someone mad I understand, but keep in mind, that I don't play fourth edition often, and I am not looking to make my character more powerful, I simply wanted to wonder if I had missed something, or if someone else had noticed something similar, and had offered a solution.