PDA

View Full Version : Good Huge Mount

Half-orc Bard
2010-10-17, 10:38 AM
I'm playing a mounted Half-Ogre. The problem is that I can't find a non-OP huge mount. My ECL is 5, and the DMG says that a mount shoulb be no more than 3 CR under the PC, any suggestions?

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-10-17, 10:48 AM
The only CR 2 Huge critter that immediately comes to mind is the Huge Monstrous Centipede. Not exactly a viable option. :smalltongue:

Nanoblack
2010-10-17, 10:50 AM
Maybe advance the HD of one of the regular mounts?

Half-orc Bard
2010-10-17, 10:54 AM
Or maybe I could reduce the HD of an elephant? Or would that not work?

Nanoblack
2010-10-17, 10:57 AM
Well typically advancing the HD of a creature both raises its CR and increases its size. So I doubt reducing an elephant would help you. Maybe homebrew a special version of enlarge person and permanency it to your mount.

Half-orc Bard
2010-10-17, 10:59 AM
Or maybe I could make a variation of a huge monster and make it CR2

Kaww
2010-10-17, 11:01 AM
Well typically advancing the HD of a creature both raises its CR and increases its size. So I doubt reducing an elephant would help you. Maybe homebrew a special version of enlarge person and permanency it to your mount.

If you ask me, at ECL 5 this may not be the best solution (not enough resources...). At the moment your best option is not to have a mount, if your DM won't bother you later about finding one.

Urpriest
2010-10-17, 11:10 AM
For a third level character huge things are pretty thoroughly out of reach, which is kinda intended: larger size categories mean more damage, more strength, more reach, etc. All of these are things the game attempts to ration out at low levels.

For later in the game I'd invest in some way to get an animal companion, via Wild Cohort, Beastmaster, or the like. Since animal companions are CR -, this gets around your DM's limitation, and shows him that CR-based limits on PCs are silly.