PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] I'm A Real Boy!

Kyouhen
2010-10-17, 11:21 AM
Greetings playgrounders!

So for a campaign that's starting up I'm going to play a Warforged Crusader. The character's goal is going to be to reach perfection in combat. Nice and simple warforged motivation. He's going to go for the Warforged Juggernaut Prc on the grounds that fleshy things are weak and metal is obviously superior.

Now here's where things get interesting. This character doesn't seem like he would be much fun to play in terms of relations with the other party members. The whole "I'm a robot and as such infinitely better than you" thing has been done a hundred times. So I've decided that I want to give him a bit of an identity crisis. He knows that constructs are more dangerous in battle than anything made of flesh, and that improving the construct part of him will further his goals, but isn't quite sure that he wants to move away from the 'living' part of himself. I want the rest of the party to be able to convince him that there's value in flesh. I don't want him to be all angsty and whatnot, I'm just looking for some interesting character interactions, and if someone else in the party decides to try fighting the idea that constructs are superior it would be interesting if they could convince my character that they're right.

So here's where I need some help. I need a class that is the exact opposite of the Warforged Juggernaut. Something that would move my character further towards 'living' and away from 'construct', which would still further his goal of being the perfect warrior.

Any ideas?

Raging Gene Ray
2010-10-17, 11:24 AM
The Reforged from Races of Eberron is tailor-made for this. It's three levels and focuses on bonuses to social skills, Wisdom checks, improving your morale bonuses, and letting Warforged get the benefit of healing. Basically, offsetting their racial penalties.

However, I'm not sure it works toward his goals...and the final level involves shedding your composite plating and losing all Warforged feats and getting new feats in their place plus the ability to wear regular armor.

The concept is right, but the actual abilities may need a little work.

You could just try and make him an extroverted warrior. A Marshall, or a Warblade specializing in White Raven, or a bard with ridiculously boosted Inspire Courage.

Kyouhen
2010-10-17, 11:40 AM
Actually, that might be an idea... (This is what I get for once again failing to look into ALL the Eberron books before trying to come up with ideas >_<)

It could probably be justified as moving him more towards the perfect warrior because losing his plating would let him wear normal armour, and I can swap his adamantium plating feat for something a little more combat based.

And being a Crusader I gain access to White Raven anyway. :smalltongue:

Any other ideas for a somewhat more organic Warforged?

Crossblade
2010-10-17, 11:50 AM
Take classes in cleric? Then you would be able to mend and assist your fleshy companions in not dying. I'm not sure how well cleric meshes with crusader because I don't have any Eberron books (except the Explorer's Handguide for the airships), so I don't know the crusaders abilities... or the Warforged Juggarnaut PrC abilities.

Hippies that like nature are called TreeHuggers, a warforged that loves mortals could be a FleshyHugger.

Kyouhen
2010-10-17, 11:57 AM
Take classes in cleric? Then you would be able to mend and assist your fleshy companions in not dying. I'm not sure how well cleric meshes with crusader because I don't have any Eberron books (except the Explorer's Handguide for the airships), so I don't know the crusaders abilities... or the Warforged Juggarnaut PrC abilities.

Hippies that like nature are called TreeHuggers, a warforged that loves mortals could be a FleshyHugger.

The Crusader is in Tome of Battle. :smalltongue:

And it's more that I'm looking for a class with some form of template that would move me away from being a construct. The Warforged Juggernaut has a set of class abilities that gives the character more construct traits (ie immunity to nonlethal, can't drink potions, etc). I'm looking for ways to make myself less of a construct.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-10-17, 12:06 PM
The third level of Reforged makes you replace all your warforged feats...but you replace them with any feat you can qualify for. Take low-requirement warforged feats at earlier levels and then swap them out for more powerful feats that have more prerequisites (only one I can think of that applies to all cases would be Martial Study). The other capstone gives you basically another +1 enhancement if you have Inspire Courage in your party. Still, it's a bit rear-loaded.

true_shinken
2010-10-17, 12:18 PM
+1 to Reforged.
Incarnate Construct requires hideous cheese to be actually a good thing, but there is that.

Kyouhen
2010-10-17, 12:44 PM
Hmmm, actually, come to think of it, maybe I should forget Crusader and go Fighter instead. Use the bonus feats to get what I need for Warforged Juggernaut, then use the normal feats to pick up extra Warforged feats. If I end up switching to Reforged I could swap my normal feats for some things that have heavy prerequisites... I'm starting to like where this is going. :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2010-10-17, 05:22 PM
Hmmm, actually, come to think of it, maybe I should forget Crusader and go Fighter instead. Use the bonus feats to get what I need for Warforged Juggernaut, then use the normal feats to pick up extra Warforged feats. If I end up switching to Reforged I could swap my normal feats for some things that have heavy prerequisites... I'm starting to like where this is going. :smallbiggrin:

Sure you'll end up with more feats that way... but you'll be a fighter. :smallyuk:

Throw my vote in for Reforged, it's the polar opposite of Warforged Juggernaut that you wanted.

A wonky alternative: Be a Ranger, play up the plant-based aspect of your organic nature (all Warforged have wooden components) instead of the humanoid aspect, then go into the Landforged Walker PrC from Secrets of Xen'drik.

FelixG
2010-10-17, 09:16 PM
If you want to be more interesting...what you could do is try to convince your other party members to become constructs themselves instead of them trying to convince you to be a real boy.

This has been done even less and is possible as well :P

Also when the party wizard is high enough he could PaO you into a human if he wanted to spend the time and resources, no class needed :P

Kyouhen
2010-10-17, 10:26 PM
If you want to be more interesting...what you could do is try to convince your other party members to become constructs themselves instead of them trying to convince you to be a real boy.

This has been done even less and is possible as well :P

Also when the party wizard is high enough he could PaO you into a human if he wanted to spend the time and resources, no class needed :P

Actually this idea had already occured to me. I was thinking go Thrallherder, get a pile of the required wands, and set up a factory to build half-golem grafts. :smallbiggrin: