PDA

View Full Version : Stacking Templates with Type Changes

Tyger
2010-10-17, 12:51 PM
A Human takes the Spellwarped and Half-Fey templates - both of which indicate that they change your type. What's your final type? Is it a case of last one applied counts?

Kaww
2010-10-17, 12:57 PM
You could swing both ways if you ignore fluff.

Spellwarped happens over generations. Half-fey happens when your parents are young and/or drunk. So I'd say: 'Congratulations you are officially a Fey'.

Worlok
2010-10-17, 12:59 PM
I may be mistaken, but I fuzzily remember having read something about that on what may or may not have been the WotC-Boards or Homepage. If I'm not, though, I think it's acquired templates override inherited ones, with those creating nonabilities overriding those who don't ('Skeleton' would therefore beat 'Half-Dragon' for the purpose of determining type). In the specific case you describe, I'm not totally sure which beats which, though. Sorry. :smallfrown:

Foryn Gilnith
2010-10-17, 01:03 PM
There is a "type pyramid" in Savage Species with various ranks.

Rank 1: Animal, Humanoid, Vermin
Rank 2: Magical Beast, Monstrous Humanoid
Rank 3: Fey, Giant
Rank 4: Dragon, Humanoid (Shapechanger)
Rank 5: Aberration
Rank 6: Elemental, Ooze, Plant
Rank 7: Construct, Outsider, Undead

You apply templates in whatever order you wish - inherited before acquired, naturally - and change type accordingly. However, you cannot move down to a lower rank on the type pyramid. The example they gave is a Half-Dragon Earth Elemental. It's still an Elemental, because dragon is 2 ranks below elemental.

Thus, your hypothetical being would be an aberration.

Prime32
2010-10-17, 07:17 PM
There is a "type pyramid" in Savage Species with various ranks.

Rank 1: Animal, Humanoid, Vermin
Rank 2: Magical Beast, Monstrous Humanoid
Rank 3: Fey, Giant
Rank 4: Dragon, Humanoid (Shapechanger)
Rank 5: Aberration
Rank 6: Elemental, Ooze, Plant
Rank 7: Construct, Outsider, Undead

You apply templates in whatever order you wish - inherited before acquired, naturally - and change type accordingly. However, you cannot move down to a lower rank on the type pyramid. The example they gave is a Half-Dragon Earth Elemental. It's still an Elemental, because dragon is 2 ranks below elemental.There are exceptions though - generally these will require a high-ranked type and change it to a lower one. For instance, incarnate construct (Construct -> Humanoid or Giant).