PDA

View Full Version : Ways to power-up via damage to yourself

true_shinken
2010-10-17, 01:20 PM
So far, I have Masochism (book of vile darkness), Divine Sacrifice (spell compendium) and Blood Blade (phb 2). Any others?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-10-17, 01:28 PM
Steely Resolve and Furious Counterstrike from Crusader (Tome of Battle). Take damage, goes to a delayed pool, gain bonuses to attack and damage rolls based on damage.

Zaq
2010-10-17, 01:34 PM
Hellfire Warlock?

Eldariel
2010-10-17, 01:50 PM
There's Pain Mastery (I recall is the name?) in Savage Species. Great for epic characters.

Radar
2010-10-17, 02:21 PM
1. Buy an unlimited use item of Shocking Grasp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shockinggrasp.htm).
2. Shapechange into a Shambling Mound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shamblingMound.htm) or be a Master of Many Forms.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Godless_Paladin
2010-10-17, 02:26 PM
1. Buy an unlimited use item of Shocking Grasp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shockinggrasp.htm).
2. Shapechange into a Shambling Mound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shamblingMound.htm) or be a Master of Many Forms.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Of course, cribbing something off of the CharOp Campaign Smasher thread is a good way to get a well deserved stomping from the DM, and Shambling Mound Shock Therapy is no exception.

true_shinken
2010-10-17, 02:49 PM
3. ???
4. Profit!

'not taking damage' does not qualify as a power up via damage.

Volos
2010-10-17, 02:54 PM
Vicous weapon magic enchancement? 1d6 to yourself for 2d6 to your foes.

Adumbration
2010-10-17, 03:00 PM
There's Willing Sacrifice spell in Exemplars of Evil. 1d10 damage and you get half of that damage as a bonus to attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks or ability checks.

I also recall seeing a feat called Lady's Gambit somewhere. Dragon magazine, maybe.

Radar
2010-10-17, 03:02 PM
Of course, cribbing something off of the CharOp Campaign Smasher thread is a good way to get a well deserved stomping from the DM, and Shambling Mound Shock Therapy is no exception.
It's still a very amusing trick.

'not taking damage' does not qualify as a power up via damage.
Hmm... There is a spell called Favor of The Martyr (some Faerun book or Spell Compendium). If I recall correctly, it gives bigger bonuses, the more damage you take. It was used in conjunction with Perpetual Damage Machine and Delay Death to produce Omniscifier. Without additional cheese it is not game-breaking.

Claudius Maximus
2010-10-17, 04:42 PM
Hmm... There is a spell called Favor of The Martyr (some Faerun book or Spell Compendium). If I recall correctly, it gives bigger bonuses, the more damage you take. It was used in conjunction with Perpetual Damage Machine and Delay Death to produce Omniscifier. Without additional cheese it is not game-breaking.

You're thinking of Masochism from BoVD. Favor of the Martyr gives a bunch of defensive benefits and immunities, but doesn't benefit you from taking damage at all.

Escheton
2010-10-17, 04:50 PM
Snakes on a dwarf?
The fiendish codex 2 feat that lets you heal hp-dmg when saving against poison and a decent save. And perhaps a binder lvl or a dedicated piece of gear.

Claudius Maximus
2010-10-17, 05:00 PM
Some of the Ushemoi from MMV gain bonuses when they get hit. Some have significant LA and RHD though.

Psyren
2010-10-17, 05:03 PM
Overchannel from the XPH, and its improved version (Transcend Limits) from Hyperconscious.

Claudius Maximus
2010-10-17, 05:40 PM
In that vein, Reserves of Strength + daze immunity (or was it stun?).

Cespenar
2010-10-17, 05:44 PM
Words of Creation + any Bard ability. Essentially, you rock so hard that it hurts. Combine with Dragonfire Inspiration for some silly damage bonuses.

Greenish
2010-10-17, 06:06 PM
Karmic Strike & Stormguard Warrior. When enemy hits you, he provokes an AoO, you opt not to take it to gain a stacking bonus (+4) to attack and damage on your next turn.

Also works with Robilar's Gambit, but Karmic Strike requires getting hit (and thus hurt).

Mongoose87
2010-10-17, 06:09 PM
Overchannel from the XPH, and its improved version (Transcend Limits) from Hyperconscious.

I really should get around to buying that.

Darrin
2010-10-17, 06:11 PM
Dragonblood Cleric 9th level substitution, "Energy Sustenance" (RotD p. 105). Spend a turn attempt to convert 3 energy damage into +1 HP.

Urpriest
2010-10-17, 06:16 PM
Frenzied Berserker meets the literal definition if not the intent. Gets +8 Str if he stubs his toe.

Terazul
2010-10-17, 06:23 PM
Lady's Gambit from Dragon 317, yeah: Sacrifice up to your HD in Hit Points, gain a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to half that for the round.

AslanCross
2010-10-17, 06:27 PM
Tainted Scholar and Blood Magus both have abilities that allow you to boost your spells when you hurt yourself. Tainted Scholar is broken and Blood Magus is a bit underwhelming, so tread carefully.

flabort
2010-10-17, 06:53 PM
So a gestalt should be about average! :smalltongue:

Aldgar
2011-03-01, 10:19 AM
A warforged character can take the shocking fist feat:

Take up to your BAB in damage, gain Xd4 electricity damage on your next slam attack.

May be used only 1/round, if the slam misses the energy damage is wasted.

Amurion
2011-03-01, 12:15 PM
I like the Dragonfire Adept Five fold breath of Tiamat. If you are evil you take twice you level in damage, but you have a breath weapon that deals 5*9d6 damage (as acid, fire, electricity, cold, sonic). I don't care who you are, 45d6 is going to hurt.

Draz74
2011-03-01, 12:32 PM
I like the Dragonfire Adept Five fold breath of Tiamat. If you are evil you take twice you level in damage, but you have a breath weapon that deals 5*9d6 damage (as acid, fire, electricity, cold, sonic more acid). I don't care who you are, 45d6 is going to hurt.

Fixed that for you. Also, despite what the Handbooks say, Discorporating Breath of Bahamut does a pretty respectable "nuke" too.

Fitz10019
2011-03-01, 12:47 PM
These things in the Magic Item Compendium activate powers when you are injured:

Rubicund Frenzy, p 26
Rapier of Desperate Measures, p 55
Boots of Desperation, p 77
Instruments of the Blood Gift, p 202

Also, not a power-up to you, but a power-up to the spell's damage:
Energy Vortex, Spell Compendium, p 81

Amurion
2011-03-01, 01:20 PM
Fixed that for you. Also, despite what the Handbooks say, Discorporating Breath of Bahamut does a pretty respectable "nuke" too.

Thanks for the catch, I was going off of memory and just assumed that it was the five elemental types for each head.

FMArthur
2011-03-01, 02:08 PM
I can't remember what they're called but there's this one item that you stab yourself with for 1 damage to gain an extra action sometime in the next hour or so. I think it's expendable, but other than that I can't help. Thought it was called bloodspike or something but Google turns up nothing. I think it might had to do with adrenaline.

SurlySeraph
2011-03-01, 02:44 PM
I can't remember what they're called but there's this one item that you stab yourself with for 1 damage to gain an extra action sometime in the next hour or so. I think it's expendable, but other than that I can't help. Thought it was called bloodspike or something but Google turns up nothing. I think it might had to do with adrenaline.

Bloodspike: Tempo from Magic of Eberron. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19784670/Eberron_Alchemical_Price_Chart) There are a few other Bloodspikes that gives potentially useful effects, too.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-01, 02:47 PM
Didn't the Omniscifer take this idea to ludicrous heights? I don't remember the specifics, but it involved leaping off of a cliff, cycling upward into infinite damage, then using that damage to somehow perceive everything in the universe simultaneously. I think it was one of the Lord of Pain's builds over on brilliant gameologists.

averagejoe
2011-03-01, 04:40 PM
The Mod They Call Me: Thread necromancy.