PDA

View Full Version : Balance of Dread Crown and Black Rain

true_shinken
2010-10-17, 03:28 PM
Hello, guys.
My game is going for a 200 years timeskip (it's actually a new campaign set in the same world), so I'll be adding a few homebrew content to spice things up.
I'm adding the Dread Crown (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76218) discipline as a 'lost 10th sword' used mostly by the drow (they were 'sealed' for a thousand years or so and only recently escaped, so it makes sense to be restricted) and Black Rain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5471505#post5471505) as a 'new 10th sword', a recently created discipline.
So, I was wondering. Are those disciplines balanced? My world has very limited access to spells beyond 6th level (think of them as artifacts - yes, even scrolls; they can't be learned naturally, of course), so that's something to keep in mind.

Also, if anyone would be so kind as to link me additional material relating to this disciplines, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Milskidasith
2010-10-17, 03:35 PM
Well, black rain has an ability (the eighth level boost) that automatically kills anybody you hit with it (infinite duration damage over time with no recovery method), so I think it may merit a more careful read through, since I picked that up pretty quickly. I didn't read through the entire thing, though.

true_shinken
2010-10-17, 03:49 PM
Well, black rain has an ability (the eighth level boost) that automatically kills anybody you hit with it (infinite duration damage over time with no recovery method), so I think it may merit a more careful read through, since I picked that up pretty quickly. I didn't read through the entire thing, though.

Hm, yeah, there should be at least some way to remove Heaven-Shattering Volley effect. Remove Curse could work, but doing something that requires Remove Curse to counter as an encounter ability is... weird.

That's the kind of comment I was looking for, thanks. Any tip on how to adress this?

Also, I find Ebon Lotus Blossom Mandala to be a little too much on the awesome side.

kryan
2010-10-17, 03:50 PM
In my experience with The_Demented_One's work, they're generally exceptional, but have some details like Milski mentions that need some fixing. For example, Army of One has several maneuvers that are "skill check vs. save", which is a bad idea. But these are usually easy fixes (we made it a normal save DC calculation, for example). Like Milski says, just read them carefully.

I haven't personally used either in a game yet, but I'd allow them both without hesitation - just I would go over them before they got used and I might tweak things.

averagejoe
2010-10-22, 11:57 AM
The Mod They Call Me: Duplicate thread. This thread probably belonged in roleplaying games in the first place, so I'll lock this one.