PDA

View Full Version : How does this Gish looks like?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-17, 03:40 PM
For an ECL 8 game I came up with this rough skeleton build

Tiefling (with LA buy off)

(Focused?) Transmuter* 5/Eldritch Knight 3/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight +7

F: Extend Spell
1 Combat Casting
WWB: Improved Initiative or power attack
3 Obain Familiar
6Improved Familiar
9 Minor Shape shift
12 Arcane Strike
15.Dimensional Jaunt (that was the reserve feat that let you teleport a few feats right?)
18: still no idea

*Banning enchantment & evocations, and if I go focused I don't know what school I should ban.

So what do you think about this?

true_shinken
2010-10-17, 04:14 PM
*twitch* Eldritch Knight? *twitch*
If you have access to flaws, why not Knight Phantom instead?

You traded your familiar for something, I believe. What did you trade it for?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-17, 04:15 PM
*twitch* Eldritch Knight? *twitch*
I you have access to flaws, why not Knight Phantom instead?

Setting specific things not allowed.

true_shinken
2010-10-17, 04:17 PM
Setting specific things not allowed.

Ah, too bad.

Saph
2010-10-17, 04:30 PM
Knight Phantom is about on par with Eldritch Knight IMO. (Choosing Phantom over Eldritch costs you effectively two feats, which I don't think the Phantom's class features make up for.) So that part's fine.

The main issue I can see is that your Gish is less of a Gish and more of a Wizard; you won't have much HP or BAB. To a point your full casting will make up for this, but it does raise the question of "why even fight in melee in the first place?" If this is what you're going for, though, it's not a problem. How much XP will you be losing for the buyoff?

Eldariel
2010-10-17, 04:36 PM
Seems like a decent shell though I'd definitely consider Persistent Spell in the last slot. With Alter Self and Wraithstrike, that's two heavy hitters you won't mind persisting from 8th level slots one bit.

Godskook
2010-10-17, 04:51 PM
Seems like a decent shell though I'd definitely consider Persistent Spell in the last slot. With Alter Self and Wraithstrike, that's two heavy hitters you won't mind persisting from 8th level slots one bit.

Seconding persistent spell as a great gish feat. 2nd level spells are loaded with buffs that have poor durations, but are otherwise incredible.

true_shinken
2010-10-17, 04:56 PM
Seconding persistent spell as a great gish feat. 2nd level spells are loaded with buffs that have poor durations, but are otherwise incredible.

From a gish point of view, yes. But then you have to wonder why are you buffing yourself when you coud cast maze or scintillating pattern and just win outright.

dspeyer
2010-10-17, 05:21 PM
(Focused?) Transmuter* 5/Eldritch Knight 3

How are you getting proficiency with all martial weapons?

Greenish
2010-10-17, 05:22 PM
How are you getting proficiency with all martial weapons?He's a thiefling.

Eldariel
2010-10-17, 05:23 PM
From a gish point of view, yes. But then you have to wonder why are you buffing yourself when you coud cast maze or scintillating pattern and just win outright.

'cause you want an easy way to dispose of people without investing anything at all? Or an auxillary path of attack when opponent is decked to the max against spells.

Saph
2010-10-17, 05:25 PM
He's a thiefling.

Thiefling like a THIEF.

Though depending on how the DM's handling XP, two lots of buyoff could hurt a bit. Note that LA buyoff for a LA +2 race is supposed to happen at levels 6 and 9.

Godskook
2010-10-17, 05:26 PM

1.Maze? Really? Decent spell, but with SR: Yes, and the single-target restriction, you're not going to be ending encounters with it all *THAT* often.

2.Mind blank

3.Persisted buffs grant endurance that just isn't comparable to instantaneous spells. You're comparing apples to oranges in a thread about applesauce.

4.Action economy prevents you from being able to do too many things in a round. Persistent spells raise your economy by a greater amount than quicken spells do, since you can bring more of them to bear in any given single round(1 lvl 4 quickened spell or 8 lvl 2 persisted spells)

Greenish
2010-10-17, 05:30 PM
Though depending on how the DM's handling XP, two lots of buyoff could hurt a bit. Note that LA buyoff for a LA +2 race is supposed to happen at levels 6 and 9.TIEFLINGs are only +1 LA.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-17, 05:39 PM
Honestly is something I just threw out to see, this is for a Red Hand of Doom pbp here on the forums, I actually already submited a skeleton build, but I didn't like how it turned out, so I am starting from scratch.

So in case I ditch eldritch knight what else should I consider?

Oh and thanks for the advice

Saph
2010-10-17, 05:42 PM
TIEFLINGs are only +1 LA.

Oh that's right; was thinking of drow instead of TIEFLINGs. :smalltongue:

true_shinken
2010-10-18, 08:56 AM
'cause you want an easy way to dispose of people without investing anything at all? Or an auxillary path of attack when opponent is decked to the max against spells.

Reserve feats and Polymorph spells already cover that.
Gishing is pretty intensive resource-wise. I'm not saying it's not worth it, it's just that I prefer my gishes to do a lot of fighting and leave the broken casting to those pesky non-gish full-casters.

Fouredged Sword
2010-10-18, 11:24 AM
I would consider ardent savant in thier somewhere. The extra AC and the ability to tear down force effects is powerful on a gish.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-18, 11:30 AM
Ok, came up with another idea.

Fire Hobgoblin
Fire hobgoblins have the general traits of fire races described above and all hobgoblin racial traits, with additions and exceptions as noted below.

* +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Fire hobgoblins are as quick and hardy as their normal cousins, but possess a greater intellect.
* Low-Light Vision: A fire hobgoblin can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight (the preferred lighting condition among fire hobgoblins), and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
* No darkvision.
* No racial bonus on Move Silently checks.

Ranger 1/Martial Transmuter 4/Ruathar 2/Swiftblade 1

F Dodge
1 Mobility
Martial Wizard: Power Attack
3 Obtain Familiar
6 Extend Spell