PDA

View Full Version : Of Light, Life and Liches: Part 2

DMfromTheAbyss
2010-10-17, 05:28 PM
Everyone from Life Light and Liches please post on this thread so we don't make extra work for the mods by going over the 50 page mark:smallbiggrin:

Also: Congrats to everyone for making it over 50 pages!

Jade_Tarem
2010-10-17, 06:22 PM
Matthias

The ranger narrows his eyes at the mention of Mephistophales. "I think I'd like the drink and the details. Let's start with the 'most devious bastard in Hell.' Who is he, and how did he know I'd be arrivin' in advance?" He digs something out of one of his many coat pouches. "And there is a way to know if you're a shapechanged devil. Catch." With that, Matthias flings a silver crossbow bolt straight at Sedius.

Chucking Crossbow Bolt Attack!

Matthias's Throw Anything ability reduces the penalty from -8 for an improvised no-throwing weapon to a -4 for improvised weapon.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + 5 if he's an Evil Outsider, and he gets no DR if he's a devil. In short, if he's not a devil, it won't bother him much. If he is, there should be blood (maybe even smoke!). That's what Matthias is going for, anyway. It isn't foolproof, but it's the best test that Matthias can perform here.

If he isn't bothered too much by the bolt, then Matthias nods, sits down, and takes a drink, ready to hear Sedius talk.

MountainKing
2010-10-17, 09:10 PM
Orrum

It takes relatively little mental power for Orrum to decide that, given the number of living, surviving, non-hostile persons they'd encountered on the streets, the chances of this being a sudden onslaught of friendly persons whom perhaps slipped with a wand and accidentally launched a fireball at the shop where strictly nil. Glowering into the street, Orrum barks out a sequence of arcane syllables, sounding much like a cadence, and it was, in Dwarven. This spell was commonly used for... suppressive fire, and it wouldn't do to roast Dwarven troops with it in battle. Brushing a brightly burning rune on his shield, Orrum swept his hand down the street, and by his will, the streets erupted into flames.

Okay, so, casting Firebrand (FINALLY). I've got 11 5 ft radius bursts. I'd like to arrange them in a manner that overlaps the bursts as little as possible, and covers the most targets/length of street. Each target hit in a burst takes [roll0] fire damage this round (DC 21 Reflex for half). All targets hit are ignited and will take an addition [roll1] fire damage next round.

All targets his may attempt a DC 15 Reflex save to put out the flames on themselves as a full round action, BUT, if they are still in the area of a burst next round, they take the secondary damage regardless.

It appears that the secondary damage does not give another saving throw (there're options to prevent it), but I guess that's up to the DM.

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-17, 11:34 PM
Harin gains altitude just in time to get out of the way of Orrum's spell and charges the Hag to distract her.

----------
Charge: [roll0] // [roll1]

@DMftA: Any chance you'd allow my 1/2-Celestial levels to count as caster levels for my Master of Radience class features?

DMfromTheAbyss
2010-10-24, 06:24 PM
@Mathias: Sedius easily grabs the bolt out of the air. However as he contacts the silver there is no noticable effect. Splaying his hand he runs the silver bolt over his hand displaying the lack of reaction as he cuts himself very slightly, then shows you his hand with a smirk. "Smart Cutter ain't cha? Well my Da's the one who told me bout you.. he's one of the best informed blokes in hell, well who ain't an actual Devil anyway. My Da is something of an odd sort, good at magic he likes keepin an eye on things round here by followin the politics and interfering so the devil's don't ever get too friendly with each other.. not a tough job that. He figured this'd be the best way to go, it'd get me outa his hair and slow down Mephy in one go. I've been around alot, saved the world a few times that sort of thing.. so an army of Baatazu rampaging across the prime might make me an interesting weekend, mostly I just want outta this neighborhood for asthetic reasons... quite a few prime mortal types make their way round here, I can show ya around if ya don't take me up on my offer.. but ya won't find anything near as good a deal elsewhere.. the types who live in hell are.. well.. you'd have to be a bit crazy to stay round here wouldn't cha?"

@Orrum and Harin: The blasts from Orrum's spell spread out and ignite the shadows to either side of the street... showing a fairly grisly collection of ghouls and minor undead creeping through the shadows. Grisly bits rain down in the aftermath, showing that at least a good number weren't summoned. The street seems to be at least somewhat cleared. Though in the distance yet more undead now visable in the burning flames break off their stealthy approach and charge.

Harin charges through where the hag is standing, oddly off balance after failing to contact the Hag. The Hag ignores him, focusing on Seristra and her apprentices exiting the front door. Wands raised they commence a magical barrage against the undead. Harin takes a moment to try to figure out why he passed through an image of the Hag to no noticable effect... and the Hag unleashes a spell, only to have it countered by Korl as he exits the building as well.

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-26, 06:02 AM
Harin

Igniting his corona Harin moves back and fires a beam at the Hag.

----------------
Any word on whether my Half-Celestial levels can count for my Searing Light effects?

Jade_Tarem
2010-10-29, 03:59 AM
Matthias

The ranger nods pensively. "Well, I've been called crazy before, but I have obligations back in Calamar. Just out of curiosity, what's yer plan for stoppin' 'Mephy?' And does yer father plan on sendin' anything up to the Prime besides you an' his best wishes?"

DMfromTheAbyss
2010-11-05, 05:35 PM
OOC: Sorry been a bit busy of late and the effects.. or potential effects, going on have sparked a few internal rules debates on my part for this upcoming round. After much thought I'm going with the ruling that moves the game along AND doesn't kill everyone. (only 1 option of 3 was TPK, at least for everyone but Mathias who is "safely" in HELL.. umm yeah:smalleek:)

I appologize if it seems a few rules are being minorly bent.. but the interaction of 9th level arcane magics, divine intervention and dimensional physics in an increasingly unstable plane(s) combined with the uncertainty from the lack of rules for dropping buildings on people have led to me having to make a few judgement calls. :smallwink: Guess thats why I get the DM's job..

That being said.. did we lose AP, and our favorite capitalist-humanist sorcerer... was also kinda waiting on him and I notice he has not posted in the new thread as of yet... hmmm?

Actually I Think I might want to PM him and let him have a crack at things before everything hits...
<
@Mathias: Sedius replies, "Well as to that, it's not Mephy hisself over there it's his head hench fiends, so thats a bit more survivable. They're in the middle of some kinda fight so it's just a matter of takin out the head honchos and letting nature take it's course. So basically being an opportunistic bastard.. that's my plan. Always keep these things simple, the more you plan the more can go wrong.

Along the lines of getting us outa here now there's just a formality, you apparently have to write out your ok for me to come back to the Prime plane on a piece of paper, parchment, carve it in the ground or whatever if it suits your fancy.. just I "full name" do let "Sedius" return to the plane of my origin, right simple really. No fancy runes or true names required.. lets you see I'm no major fiendish type, if it were that easy for an arch devil to get out you'd see em rampaging across the cosmos a lot more. I'm just stuck here for a formality.. so all it takes.. is a formality."

@Harin and Orrum: Harin'sf light passes right through the hag, as if she were so much mist. She continues casting and you see Seristra and Korl hurl some fairly devastating magic her way in a desperate bid to stop her. They seem to have no more luck than you. She finishes casting and theres a brief moment of quiet as all the potential targets wonder what spell she cast. With a cackle and grand ripping gesture she points, not at Seristra, Korl or even Harin or Orrum, but at Seristra's shop itself. There is a triumphant moment as she stares around and then she ripples like a bad hologram and seems a tad surprised as the fabric of magic momentarily seems to twist and turn under the sway of several forces apparently not of her making.

She fades from view as her (spellcraft check DC 21) <cough> Projected image <cough>
spell fails as there is a blue white surge of energy from within the building, radiating through the very timbers and stone of the walls. Beams of pure white INCANDESCENCE flare out the windows, quickly strobing brighter. Time itself sems to stop for a moment and then there is an thunder-like clap loud enough that noone can hear it, or anything else for some while after, and the building seems to fly apart, large sections going in different directions.

In the aftermath...

@Orrum:is crushed and somewhat stunned under a pile of rubble deeper than he is tall. Still alive at 18HP the resilient dwarf is a few fortitude rolls and strength checks from seeing what's going on.

@Harin: Dazed and somewhat blinded by the special effects, Harin shakes his head for a moment trying to regain his senses. Looking around, his blurred but improving vision gives him odd dissassociated glimpses of the destruction around him as things slowly start to make sense again.

Several buildings to either side have been leveled by the high velocity debris. The actual Magic shop is simply gone, only a thick layer of debris spread out over the area and the streets in all directions gives any hint that there might be survivors.

Then your vision catches motion, a small furtive movement,then
you see the rat bounding through the debris, heading towards another shape moving further down the street.. Rachel. She stops suddenly as you see several undeadfigures move to block her, she turns screaming only to run straight into the Hag as she shapeshifts from a rat to her true form, arms wide to grab for Rachel. Rachel backs away towards the ghouls rather than be saved by the hag, slowly turning looking for a way out.

>

Jade_Tarem
2010-11-08, 11:55 PM
Matthias

The woodsman stares at Sedius, hearing everything he said and some of the things he didn't. But if the rest of the group was fighting, he was needed, and somehow he didn't doubt that Sedius was correct on that count. "Yeah, I suppose that's right. Yer takin' me back too, by the way, or I swear I'll find a way to get out of here and hunt yeh down."

Matthias pulls out a much-battered quill and scrawls on the table.

I, Matthias Iosan Raker, permit Sedius to return with me to my plane of origin.

He stands up. "Let's go."

Let's hope Matthias gets back in time to help Rachel.

Any chance Forge could get in on the action?

MountainKing
2010-11-10, 12:17 PM
Orrum's Fortitude saves and Strength checks... Are three sufficient?

Fort: [roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
Str: [roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

EDIT: Realized I forgot to roll my Spellcraft check, then realized the only way I can not make a DC 21 Spellcraft check is to roll a 1, and that's assuming all 1s are critical failures (which is usually not the case? What's our ruling on that again?). For the sake of not double posting, the DM can roll it if he likes, or I can roll it later.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-14, 04:27 AM
Harin launches a bolt of light at the Hag whilst flying towards rachel.

-------------------
Searing Light: [roll0] http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/facepalm.gif // [roll1]

In case it's another fake -

Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]

DMfromTheAbyss
2010-11-16, 07:26 PM
@Orrum: You open your eyes to nothing but darkness and pressure, and part of you switches on, cave-in survival training from your youth comes back to you and you struggle through the debris, pressing forward and up, trying not to breath, saving every breath as it might be your last. Above, you register sounds, distant snarls and then closer digging. Thinking perhaps some of your countrymen are on their way to your rescue you grip a broken shutter in one hand and realize you are not in your homeland, you are under a building, and those are not the sounds of rescuers, they are the sounds of ghouls, seeking fresh meat in the debris.

Then the sounds change, the snarls are met with a war cry from many throats and the ground shakes with the pounding of feet and the almost palpable feel of combat. Your struggle continues and you finally break through to the open sky and breath deeply, shaking the thick sawdust and loose brick from your beard, you ascend to ground level, ready to join the combat, only to see the fight seems to have moved onward, around you the mangled corpses of a pack of ghouls gives testament to the rage of those fighting.

Looking around you see an armed and apparently well motivated army, composed of the survivors charging into the city, fighting their way through small packs of minor undead like a well tuned dwarven war machine. The Howl of a wolf joins the chorus of angry voices as they press further into the city.

@Harin: Your blast catches the Hag unaware and narrowly misses her. Seeing you descending like the vanguard of an avenging celestial host, radiant light eminating from you, blood dripping tear like from your much abused eyes.. the Hag showes her cowardly nature and vanishes.

Rachel takes advantage of the distraction and takes off, darting through the debris away from the ghouls faster than any child has a right to move and disappearing around the corner of a still standing building. The ghouls seem to stop and stare uncertainly at your approach, your approach distracting them from trying to rush after Rachel.

@Mathias: "Alright, lets go. " Sedius says as he rises. Offering you a hand he briefly asks you to envision your friends, their location, your destination or all three as he takes your hand and you and he dissapear in a brief non-damaging fiery conflageration that smells strongly of brimstone.

(your appearance may be dalayed briefly while the planes align and the DM waits for a dramatic moment to bring you in (a post or so quite likely))

MountainKing
2010-11-16, 08:09 PM
Orrum

The Dwarf's eyes widened for only a second at the sight before him; it made his heart swell, and he permitted it to fuel his passion, his one true pleasure: Orrum, son of Garrum, was once again at war. Tearing his warhammer up from the debris with him, Orrum bashes it against his shield, soliciting a cloud of dust as he immediately began bellowing orders, doing his part to keep this remarkable machine grinding onward. Onward to victory. Smacking his fist, closed around the handle of his warhammer, against a burning rune on his chest, Orrum barked the appropriate incantation, bringing a familiar, stony appearance to his already stone-faced features. Thinking quickly, Orrum calls out to the only ally he can think of that might... might, come rushing to his side the quickest.

"FOOOOOOOOOOOOOORGE!"

Casting Stoneskin on myself and joining the militia.

DMfromTheAbyss
2010-11-24, 03:58 PM
@Orrum: You join the army of survivors and things kind of blur togeather. One minor skirmish after the other, the ghouls, wights and skeletons barely slow the headlong rush of the unit. Reacting faster than they have any right to, adjusting to enemy tactics like one living entity smarter, stronger and faster than it's individual components, the army rolls onward in a triumphant haze of violence. Yourself, Forge, Senal and many survivors you recognize but also many you don't. Men Women and children combined into a single warmachine.

A small part of you can't help but wonder how this is possible, a group of beaten survivors achieving this almost perfect coordination, fueled by an almost trancendant rage, by brotherhood and the very need to survive, pushed beyond any fear or worry of death.
Spellcraft/Religion Check

Another part of you.. most of you really, is invigorated and enjoys being submerged in the collective of the army, though this definately feels different than the type of comraderie you enjoyed in the Dwarven millitary. More chaotic and aggressive, everyone isn't following orders or forming ranks. Everyone is contributing what they are best at, just combined the effect is one of unity, like a barbarian horde, or a swarm of angry bees.

You shake your head, your mind clearing for the first time in some while from the euphoria of combat, the fiery cleansing clarity of your rage subdued by a sense of foreboding. You see where you have come.. towards the temple district, heading right for the Temple, right towards the Burning Souls, things which you realize this army is not prepared to fight. See Mathias's part for what comes next.. aka party reunion at the Temple grounds. Also after all that fighting.. taking a few more hits, your stoneskin being barely still up and being pretty certain you should have dropped somewhere in there you are currently at max HP +12 temporary HP

@Harin: You manage change direction down the alley way to scoop up Rachel on the wing, the ghouls and assorted undead follow uncertainly, but you easily outdistance them.

Then as you gain a bit of altitude you see spectral glowing ghostly forms (spectres), in a great flying host, spread out to surround the survivors. In an odd moment that feels beyond your control Yes the DM is handwaving this part of the fight to get you back in with the rest of the party.. but hopefully in a cool fashion at least.. sorry you hold Rachel tight as part of you snaps and you let out a great shout of challenge. Flying at your best charging speed you fly past them, a beam of radiance lancing through their line. They turn to follow and you and you fly just out of their reach, gathering them togeather. Getting them to chase you and not the survivors, you begin eating away at their numbers with one blast of radiance after another. Think of it looking something like a Sidescrolling shooter minigame :smallbiggrin:

Sometime later it becomes apparent that the local skies are clear and you find yourself exhausted gliding over the fallen city you see the survivors have made quite a bit of progress through the city.. right into the Temple district.. (dun dun dun)

@Mathias: You appear in the plaza a hundred yards or so from the Temple, adjacent to the temple district. You see both the incoming survivor army, being led by a combination of Orrum, Forge and a crazy eyed matronly survivor with a dented frying pan, covered in gore. All of them look a mess but there's an almost disturbing intensity to their gaze.

Orrum seems to be losing that intensity though, shaking his head in confusion, as if trying to shake free of a bad, overly strong alcoholic beverage.

You are fairly certain Sedius was with you but you quickly lose track of him as you orient yourself to your surroundings.

MountainKing
2010-11-25, 02:59 PM
...wait, where is the temporary HP coming from? :smallconfused: And if I've taken a few hits, and I'm pretty sure I should have been dropped during the fighting, why am I at full health?

Also, Spellcraft: [roll0]
Religion: [roll1]

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-25, 03:02 PM
...wait, where is the temporary HP coming from? :smallconfused: And if I've taken a few hits, and I'm pretty sure I should have been dropped during the fighting, why am I at full health?

Also, Spellcraft: [roll0]
Religion: [roll1]

Divine Intervention?

DMfromTheAbyss
2010-11-25, 05:38 PM
@Orrum: (spellcraft)Your first thought on the feeling was some sort of Rage or berserker style spell, possibly combined with some form of leadership style enhancement, plus haste or something of the sort. However the lack of any spell being cast as far as you could detect.. and the fact that it felt only a bit like the effects, but the actual "enchantment" didn't feel like an arcane spell at all, in fact it felt like it was coming from within, your own emotions, like an almost bardic morale enhancement.. but again without any apparent source. Puzzling and somehow troubling, but helpful apparently.. till now as it fades.

It also appears to have been healing everyone as you fought, not entirely unlike how Senal's (crusader) attacks can sometimes heal those around her, but obviously on a larger scale.

(Religion) You are thinking divine intervention is not off the table as far as explanations, though you know of no god's known for that style of "miracle", perhaps worth asking Harin a few pointed questions about his diety..

In fact it seems a bit heavy handed, the sort of thing that would invite reaction or stopping from other gods and powers.

Jade_Tarem
2010-11-25, 07:18 PM
Matthias

Matthias's eyebrow twitches as he spots the incoming army. "...the hell is this? I was gone for three minutes!"

He turns to Sedius, intending to ask him what was going on, but instead finds himself staring at the plumes of smoke that mark the Temple District. He turns back. We have to stop these people. They've got nothing that will hurt the burning souls!

"Orrum! Forge!" He blows his whistle. "Stop this now! The Burning Souls'll bake the survivors!"

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-30, 12:45 PM
Harin will put Rachel down near Matthias.

"Glad to see you, how did it go?"

MountainKing
2010-11-30, 03:20 PM
Orrum

"TURN BACK!" Orrum bellowed as he recovered his voice, "You damned fools, you'll be destroyed! These foes are beyond any of you, now fall BACK!" Gripping his warhammer tightly, Orrum roared the warning as loudly as he could... and if nobody seemed willing to obey him, he began to lay about him with his hammer, roaring all the while.

"You fools! Cease! Your gods will not be served by this meaningless death! Turn back, damn you all! TURN BACK!"

DMfromTheAbyss
2010-11-30, 11:05 PM
The swarm of angry survivors seems to barely hear Orrum at first. Until he physically interposes himself they hardly pay him heed. Then there is an akward moment where it almost looks like Orrum is going to be beaned with a battle worn frying pan backed by an army of oddly aggressive peasentry when it finally gets through.

The woman in question seems shaken as she steps back from Orrum's warning swings, a confused look and slow dawning comprehension as the warmachine made of peasents grinds to a confused halt. They all still seem to be a bit out of it, but the fires in their eyes dim to normal and they stand around likethey have little idea what came over them.

In the distance towards the Temple you hear a blood curdling war-cry. Then behind you one of the peasents, acting as a scout cries out a warning.

"UNDEAD Behind US!!"

MountainKing
2010-12-01, 12:10 AM
Orrum

Orrum wasted no time, barking the arcane syllables required to activate one of his runes and launched himself into the air, bellowing orders even as he changed his warhammer for his wand.

"Anyone wearing armor, position yourselves to the rear! Form a front line! Anyone with staves or polearms, position yourselves behind the front line! Everyone else, prepare yourselves!" Gripping the wand tightly, Orrum glowered out over this, his home away from home, the battlefield. Upon sighting the undead lines, he thrust the wand forward, launching a bead of fire toward the advancing undead and bellowing above the crowd.

"HOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!"

To quote Rat Trap from Beast Wars: "We're all gonna die..."

EDIT: Oh yeah, casting Fly, moving 20 ft straight up, switching weapon for wand of fireball as part of my move action. Next round, I'll be casting Fireball, so, feel free to roll the damage and display the result.

Jade_Tarem
2010-12-03, 03:26 AM
Matthias

"One side! Clear a path!" Matthias shouts at the crowd until they let him through to get a look at the incoming undead. "Where's Rads?" He shouts up at Harin and Orrum.

MountainKing
2010-12-03, 11:21 AM
Orrum

"Missing or dead," Orrum barked, "We shall sort him out later; open fire!"

I would post more, but I'm not really sure if we're actually in combat, or pre-combat bombardment, or.. or what we're in. So, yay for talking being a free action!

DMfromTheAbyss
2010-12-12, 01:58 AM
Orrum ascends as everyone readies to meet the undead assault. The battle line forms quickly, but you can see exhaustion on the faces of those around you.

Orrum's opening fireball illuminates the gathering horde of zombies and wights. Shadows, wraiths and spectral undead are seen in the background, surrounding the area away from the temple. Despite a mass of them being incinerated the undead horde continues to gather as more steam out of side streets and come rapidly shambling from the distance. Their numbers swell and still they stand unable to attack yet, held in check by some iron willed controller, waiting until some critical mass is reached to unleash the wave of undead at the small, tired group of survivors.

That same keen eyed boy then mutters into the quiet anticipation. Hey where are all those fire things going?"

From a higher vantage any looking back toward the temple see the mass of Burning Souls charge accross the courtyard.. away from you oddly enough.

Only a few stay guarding the front temple doors, the rest head roughly to where Mathias fought several of them earlier.

On a nearby roof top the being known as Sedius lights a battered cigarette and enjoys a slow drawfrom it. Smoke coming from his nostrils he mutters. "Quite the situation here, this should be entertaining."

MountainKing
2010-12-13, 10:19 PM
Orrum

Orrum bellows at "his" "troops".

"Pay them no heed! They make away, and are not our present concern. Focus on the threat at hand! Hold the line!" Barking the command word, Orrum blasted the massing undead with another fireball from his wand, intent on unmaking as many of the foe as he could before battle was joined.

Fireball damage: [roll0]

Great, whoever's in charge of the burning souls are discovered that bloody door. Curse Seristra and her uninformed or unwilling to share eyes! :smallfurious:

Jade_Tarem
2010-12-20, 01:43 AM
Matthias

Matthias looks at the huge crowd of undead and back at the survivors. No way. They weren't going to survive an all-out rush. Not here and now.

Matthias's own death didn't really bother him - what he couldn't tolerate was the knowledge that he would be dying while Darvis still lived, and that he would be watching all of the other survivors die first.

Still... There was the temple. It had been a goal to unite the survivors for some time, and while the Temple had been more trap than salvation, any port in a storm would do...

He's also learned something from Radley - if he shouts his message of Doom up to Orrum, the survivors would likely panic, and all of them would die. However, he was willing to bet most of them couldn't speak Dwarven, or Celestial for that matter, and his companions could.

The planning would have to be done in seconds - but whatever shadowy figure was controlling the undead appeared to be waiting until he could secure a massacre, rather than a rout. That would give them enough time. He hoped.

Matthias shouts up to Orrum in a Dwarven Dialect - the same one used by Druth's near neighbors. His diction is actually more precise than it would have been in Common. [Dwarven] "Orrum! That temple is the last consecrated ground in the city. If Harin and I draw off the last few Burning Souls, the survivors can make a break for the temple and race through the main doors. At the very least, we would be in a fortified building and off of desecrated ground - this is not the place for this fight!"

MountainKing
2010-12-21, 07:01 PM
Orrum

Orrum barked back in the same dialect, "Make it so! When the way is clear, I will call the retreat!" Under his breath, he added, "I just hope I can hold them off long enough for this to work..."

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-01-05, 02:13 PM
Senal hears the exchange and nods, apparently fluent in Dwarven. Without a further thought she rushes down the Plaza, almost directly at the Remaining few burning souls. Turning and running parrallel she attempts to draw off the five remaining that would bar the way to the temple.

Then she charges as she is wreathed in flame by scathing blasts from the burning soul nearest, protected somewhat by her armor and her faith she comes to grips with her opponent. Pulling the one out of the way enough for the rest of you to get by.

As others move to engage the Burning Souls Sedius from his perch atop a neaby roof watches and shakes his head sadly. "Gunna get themeselves killed, suppose some help is in order, selfless, stupid and heroic... brings back memories, damnit." Seeking some answer in himself he takes a moment almost visably making a decision. "What's some spare fun anyway, just a touch hey!"

And the remaining 4 become a remaining 2 as you see Sedius appear amidst small bursts of flame, first in front of, then behind two of the towering monstrosities, two rapiers flashing, the Burning souls barely get a chance to register him before they are suddenly falling apart. Nimbly Sedius dodges the jets of flame and explosions as they are destroyed, dissappearing in the last in pointlessly dramatic fashion. Those of you particularly observant might then see him upon the Temple roof an instant later giving a gloating overly formal bow, though weither to you or the fallen golems is subject to debate. Yeah just for reference there was obviously some kind of major teleportation/time "cheese" effects in play there, no one is that fast, he effectively just got two whole rounds of full attacking in, with obvious sneak attack/precision damage.. on GOLEMS and ended about 100 yards from where he started the round, he also obviously a swashbuckler by his antics, he's also a person of mysterious origins from Hell and not necessarily friendly to your eventual goals, so later vilain or.. you make the call.

That leaves 2 in the way of the survivors with naught but the (current)PC's to confront them, roll Initiative.. and seeing as how the Golems have rolled quite poorly give me your first rounds action while you are at it:smallwink:.

----------------------------

Accross the plaza the Rest about 90ish of the Burning Souls continue excavating, destroying huge amounts of stone road and swarming in a fiery feeding frenzy of destruction.

A lone figure, ignored by them walks up behind the conflageration, old bones shaking, wheezing breath from ancient lungs, broad sword held in firm, gristled hands. He stares at the Burning souls as if to divine the future. A slow growl emits from his withered lips.

MountainKing
2011-01-05, 07:32 PM
Soooo... what happens for the rest of us who have nothing to do with the Burning Souls? Specifically, Orrum and the civilian mob who he's trying desperately to muster into a defensive position in case this little "Flee to the temple!" gambit doesn't work. At the very least, I have Fireballs I'd like to cast at the oncoming undead, and suchnot.

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-10, 04:01 PM
Harin will do what he does "best" and melt some undead.

--------------------
Turn Undead: [roll]d20+6[roll] / [roll0]

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-10, 04:03 PM
Re-roll Turning check: [roll0] eeeeeeexcellent :smallannoyed:

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-01-10, 09:34 PM
@MK: You can continue to detail the thrashing/exploding Orrum is handing the pretty much being held for your target practice undead horde on a round to round basis, you can also make some general spot/listen checks and or decide to help out if you see any way to be helpful against the Burning souls.

Harin turns to aid Orrum, his holy power immolating another ... er slightly attracting the attention of several of them, they attempt to lunge forward, but again the steely control of whomever is at the undead's reigns holds them back as you can see the gouls physically trying to break free and come closer only to stop and drag themeselves back into line with the other gathering undead.

More noise from down the street, exposions and strange lights. Senal continues her deathmatch against one of the burning souls, the remaining two unengaged "fiery golem things" head her way as well.

Up above Sedius again disappears after having finished his bow leaving the field in a flashy pyrotechnic fashion, disappearing into a small burst of flame and roiling smoke like some petty stage magician.

Senal looks like she is about to have a very bad day, terrible burns from the first Burning soul already apparent on her face as she stalwartly continues trying to take at least one down.

MountainKing
2011-01-11, 12:03 AM
Orrum

Orrum continued to launch fireballs into the undead's midst, bellowing commands and encouragement over the din. He pays no heed to the situation behind him; he trusts in his allies' abilities. When the undead begin to advance, Orrum activates one of his most powerful runes, diving down to the fore and standing in their midst, bellowing to his human wards.

"Stand back! Hold the line, but stand back!"

Orrum will continue to harangue his militia and make undead burninate until such time as the undead begin to advance. At that point, he will cast Repulsion and position himself between the undead and the militia.

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-01-22, 08:00 PM
OOC: Mostly just waiting on Mathias and Harin's actions here, I'm also investigationg getting Radley back.. keep your fingers crossed.

Jade_Tarem
2011-01-24, 03:41 PM
Matthias

The ranger turns and opens fire on the Burning Soul attacking Senal.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]
Attack 3: [roll2]
Attack 4: [roll3]

Damage 1: [roll4] + [roll5]
Damage 2: [roll6] + [roll7]
Damage 3: [roll8] + [roll9]
Damage 4: [roll10] + [roll11]

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-02-04, 11:42 PM
OOC: Well I'm still waiting on Harin.. I'll post anyway..

Apparently we won't be seeing Radley back anytime soon due to real life issues, though I'd like to say he's more than welcome should he ever happen upon the time.

Sorry about the slow pace of things. If everyone would like we can try to fast forward a bit by doing the multiple rounds and planned actions route (and I will let you know if the tactical situation changes etc so you won't end up beating a dead horse so to speak (or similar nonesensical actions))

Also should we start looking for new players?

What's everyone think?

Mathias gets three good shots in on the towering being of flame as it closes with Senal, it keeps coming but changes targets to Mathias, giving Senal a small amount of breathing room. She faces off with the one she started attacking and one additional foe.

It sends a gout of immolating flame towards Mathias... Reflex Save DC 20

MountainKing
2011-02-05, 03:28 PM
OOC: New players would likely do us a bit of good. I will say that, I think my current tactical plan is reasonably solid, so no changes ought to be strictly necessary. Also, I am now in the process of moving; not entirely sure when I'll be done, nor when I'll have internet. It will be SOON, just, I don't have a time table. :(

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-02-25, 09:27 PM
Climactic end battle for the saving of the all those alive in the city.. COMING SOON! :smallbiggrin:

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-03-05, 07:49 PM
Mathias and Senal, with the help of a distracted Harin engage the last several Burning Souls in front of the Temple in a desperate bid to open a path to get the survivors to safety.

Meanwhile Orrum continues to blast and incinerate the gathering undead army, putting off their inevitable crushing assault with every spell and trick he has at his disposal.

The fight goes on for awhile, Mathias is singed but ok after dodging the worst of the damage fired his way, Senal having taken the brunt of the damage but somehow fighting through it, and Harin after healing himself from getting badly scorched by several blasts he recieved from closing to melee, all remain standing to the end.

The Last Burning Soul in front of you goes down stubbornly, but as it falls the undead swarm finally moves forward, gathered in impressive numbers despite the shellacking Orrum dealt them. The survivors start to tiredly attempt a get to the temple, while those who were fighting the Burning Soul turn to aid the beleagered Dwarven Wizard.

The party stands fast before the charging mases of ghouls, blasting and fighting to the bitter end as things look hopeless, trying desperately to buy a little more time...

When from accross the plaza approximately over where the party knows the tunnel leading to the mysterious Gateway in the sewers a great roar errupts, and the scores of Burning Souls devastate the ground, removing the majority of the street and slowly revealing the terrified clerics and refugees from the Temple district trying to escape via another.. deeper tunnel. Several of the more powerful priests ready a last desperate defence.. but it looks like all is lost when... :smallbiggrin::smallsigh:

The old man, Tien walks up behind the veritable wall of Burning Souls.

As he walks he seems to unbend, his body throwing off the affects of age, the appearance of weakness and mortality. Eyes glowing with an almost radiant rage he quietly says in a voice unwracked by coughing "No more, the last children of the Gods shall not fall, TO Hell with those who stand by.. Armistice of the gods be damned I will not suffer the innocent to perish!"

A wave of bright white light errupts, from him. Surging forth it disintigrates the Burning Souls and washes over the survivors.

Across the Plaza you barely have time to register the incoming wave of holy destruction. It passes through everyone, strangely comforting in a violent purifying fashion.

When you all awake it is to a new Dawn, the horrors of the last night washed away with the act of Divine Intervention. The buildings are still ruined, everyone still has ragged clothing and dirt, blood and ash covering them, but everyone is healthy and alive.

Both groups of survivors, The brave band of adventurers, the almost intact church and the now bared to the sky mysterious Dungeon Entrance/Gateway meet the Sunlight with uncertainty, unsure what it all means, but sure it's not over.

MountainKing
2011-03-06, 07:07 PM
Orrum

The Dwarf put up his wand of fireball and trudged through the groups of civilians and militia, barking orders as he passed.

"Form up on me! Let us waste no time. We have been granted a reprieve," glowering over to where a mounting undead assault had been welling up, he pointed, "I want ten men to search for anything we can salvage. Weapons, armor, anything of use, gather it up and bring it. The rest of you, gather the wounded! Two who are able per wounded person! On your feet, let us move!" As the civilians began to get into motion, Orrum picked out two of the most springly looking militia he had available.

"You, and you. Run ahead to the temple survivors, tell them that Orrum, son of Garrum, wishes to speak to their leaders. I was present with Lord Radley and Master Harin when they entered the temple and met Lady Senal. Go now!" he commanded, before returning to organizing his remaining "troops". The student of warfare wasn't about to let this opportunity go to waste.

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-03-10, 01:24 PM
There was then a time of regrouping and consolidation for the survivors.

Organized by Orrum, aided by Mathias's skills at tracking and sensing the undead, and taking advantage of Harin and Senal's mount's flight abilities to scout out the city somewhat, several groups of non-combatants, guarded by several of the high priests make their way out of the city in search of succur and aid against the undead still plauging the area.

So the millitant survivors that insist on staying to fight the undead, with a few millitant under clerics, Rachel, Forge, Orrum and Mathias are the only ones left at the Temple of Foreign Gods. The High Priestess formerly in charge leaves it in Orrum's care, as it is now a matter of holding an important position well suited to a dwarves abilities. Leaving she promises aid from the Elves as she escorts the largest band of survivors to safety.

Before another foray against Darvis and his leutenents can take place however Harin disappears amidst one of his scouting trips and Senal vanishes while investigation the center of the city.

The next several weeks see Mathias continuing to hunt the undead through the city, striking and falling back to holy ground to attempt to stem the number of undead. It seems far from successful as odd undead continue to appear. Ancient skeletons armed with unfamiliar weapons, bizarre ghoul like monstrosities, wights and shadowy wraiths creep throughout the city in increasing numbers.

Of the Hag there is no sign but the occasional raven that perches near the Temple doubtless drawing fire from both Wizard, Ranger and after a while the survivors on guard.

Rachel seems blissfully happy, enjoying the sun, fair weather and warm temperatures. The none to far off scent of decay and death accross the haunted city seems to bother her not at all, but fear of the Hag and the fact that no attempts have been made on her in the sanctity of the temple keep her close to it's doors.

Some adventurers start to show up to help against the undead, though none as yet seem up to the task of taking on more than a patrol through the city looking for salvage. Many don't make it back even from that. Though both from information they leave and the sources both magical and mundane Orrum puts togeather a map of the undead's spread.

Groups of undead are very slowly making their way through the farmland around the city. They stay mostly to the north and south of the city though. The more organized larger groups in the north, packs of ghouls and scavengers spreading to the south. Ever increasing numbers are inside the city walls.

The odd look of the sun has become a constant reminder of the city's cursed state. White/blue and lacking warmth, it's presence during the day does little to banish the wraiths and shadows occasionally wandering the streets. Thankfully the sun seems to return to it's normal appearance once a dozen miles or so from the city walls.

Waiting for help to arrive, Orrum pores over what tomes were left at the temple (a surprisingly useful bit of lore left by the elven contingent) find or recover from Seristra's and from around the city. Mathias guides the minor adventurers through the city, earning occasional useful minor items for himself and Forge.
See OOC thread for loot/spells and it is at this point you are officially level 15

After a while almost when you despair that you will only be able to watch the progress of the Darvis's mechanations when almost at the same time several new travelers get to the city...

Sinpoder
2011-03-17, 12:29 PM
Lucifer

Lucifer walks into a new city, one that he has never been in before but he has heard of the stories of undead in this city. That is why he is here. With his worn backpack on his back, Lucifer walks though the gate paying the toll if they have one. Lucifer then walked into this place and he could nearly smell the smell of undeath, and it made him both sick and happy. Lucifer was special in the way that he was a beacon of good, and every good creature seemed to know that. Lucifer with his pack on his back starts to walk towards where he heard that leader was, when he reached there he would ask for his assignment and what they wanted him to do.

As Lucifer walked, he glowed brightly covering nearly 10 feet around him in bright light and any small fry undead (like undead rat) seem to walk within 20 feet of him and then back up, from pain. Lucifer had his holy symbol in this hand as he walked ready at any moment to start destorying undead.

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-03-17, 12:35 PM
@Orrum and Mathias: A new day dawns over the Haunted city. Change seems upon the wind, though weither it is a change to the good long overdue, or the last desperate moments before a plunge into desperation and tragedy remains to be seen. At the Temple of Foreign gods, safe for the moment, what are you doing?

@Avigail: Entering the city of Calamdan, drawn by your patrons sensing some severe disturbance, you find the City gate torn free and laying on the road. Inside the city it is quiet as a tomb. The Odd blue almost white sun gives off no warmth and after a span of time your senses are on edge. You start seeing half imagined flashes of shadow, always gone when you look. Haunting sounds of city life with no source and odd prickling sensations.

When you hear actual physical noise it comes as something of a relief. A scrabbling, like something going through garbage in an alleyway ahead of you.

Then suddenly a woman in a conservative white dress, who would look totally normal in a normal city environment.. seems to appear in a nearby doorway. gesturing desperately for you to come in she flees into the doorway before you can do more than notice her.

The scrabbling sound from the alley comes to a sudden stop.

What do you do?

@Erasmus and Qamachiel: Atop a pile of rubble inside the city that at one point may have been a shop of some sort, the two of you were just finishing getting aquanted when you see movement. A score of skeletons marching in step. Making not the barest whisper of noise they march almost directly towards you. What do you do?

@Daniel and Lucifer: Marching into the capital you see that it appears all is lost. Having encountered but a few ghouls on your way in. The city is in remarkably good shape except for the lack of all life. The Sun's blue white light sets you both on edge, it's unnatural color highlighting the unnatural chill that has falen over the city. Like unhallowed places of dark worship the feeling encompases the entirety of the town and the surrounding areas.

Moving towards the center of town, expecting more resistance you hear a clear high sksksksksksksksksksk noise as though someone were sharpening a knife.

Turning the corner you see the source of the noise. However you weren't quite prepared for the sight of an attractive blond woman, almost 6 feet in height, dragging an oversized Scythe of black and silver. The shocking part being that she isn't wearing the barest stitch of clothing. She moves in a dazed unfeeling slow walk, the massive scythe the only thing she seems to be paying attention to as it draws a perfect cut through the cobbles of the street.

@Caedrian: You see the destruction of the outer Archives. Books turned to so much dust. Plants that graced the interior long dead and blackened. You move with caution toward the exit and find yourself on the street. To your amazement the city seems little changed. In the clean air away from the rot and dust you breath in the chill and look up to confront a sun unlike what you remember, wane and white/blue it provides a clear light that puts the city into stark contrast.

Then your hear a terrible snarling noise from down the street and just around the corner. Like a dozen man sized dogs attacking something as a pack. The inhuman noise is followed by inhuman gurgling screams accompanied by fleshy ripping sounds. You gaze down the street in horror for a moment, reflexively ducking for a bit of cover. The noise comes to an abrupt end and you then hear measured footsteps echo down the stone boulevard. A figure, gore strewn and frightening turns the corner. Looking staight ahead, all business, dressed like some sort of Black Knight complete with jet black cloak flowing behind him at his brisk walk comes a man.

A living man if his resonant muttered "Hrr if that street winds around there.. how?" frustration at the layout of the royal quarter is any indication. You've heard visitors say the same thing about the royal quarter's layout countless times, it's winding paths good for defence, but hard on tourists, giving local children a good buisiness collecting coppers for playing tour guide since it's contruction.

Sinpoder
2011-03-17, 01:15 PM
@Daniel and Lucifer: Marching into the capital you see that it appears all is lost. Having encountered but a few ghouls on your way in. The city is in remarkably good shape except for the lack of all life. The Sun's blue white light sets you both on edge, it's unnatural color highlighting the unnatural chill that has fallen over the city. Like unhallowed places of dark worship the feeling encompases the entirety of the town and the surrounding areas.

Moving towards the center of town, expecting more resistance you hear a clear high sksksksksksksksksksk noise as though someone were sharpening a knife.

Turning the corner you see the source of the noise. However you weren't quite prepared for the sight of an attractive blond woman, almost 6 feet in height, dragging an oversized Scythe of black and silver. The shocking part being that she isn't wearing the barest stitch of clothing. She moves in a dazed unfeeling slow walk, the massive scythe the only thing she seems to be paying attention to as it draws a perfect cut through the cobbles of the street.

Lucifer was surpised to see a women here, a very attractive one at that, but he was not the least bit prepared for her to be naked. Lucifer looked at this women, not being able to tell if this women was undead or not he whispers to his god. " Gods allow me to see the undead around me " Lucifer then looks up and sees if this women is in fact undead. Lucifer also tried not to stare at any part of this women, except her eyes. He was a man, and she was naked and very attractive which would lead to a major distraction.

Casted Detect Undead. 1st level spell

MountainKing
2011-03-17, 01:44 PM
Orrum sat at a window, watching the dawn as thin wisps of gray smoke rose from his pipe. They had seen little enough action, compared to their initial endeavors, but the Dwarf was uneasy. In silence, he crushed that unease in a vise of discipline and pored over the map of the city once more. With the king's army amassing to the north, it was only a matter of time before they returned to the city, and for all their preparation, Orrum could not escape the thought that once again, they were neither prepared, nor did they have time to make themselves so. Such was the nature of this war. Standing, Orrum left his gear in his room for the moment; he needed to speak with Matthias, the last remaining companion.

Companions, he reflected. Forge too, eternally faithful, had remained by Matthias' side. Orrum paused by the door, and gripped his runestaff... he permitted himself to feel a small measure of comfort, but only for a moment. Now was not the time for false hopes and leisure. They needed a plan of action. Silently, the sturdy Dwarf made his way through the temple, seeking out his ranger companion.

goken04
2011-03-17, 02:55 PM
@Erasmus and Qamachiel: Atop a pile of rubble inside the city that at one point may have been a shop of some sort, the two of you were just finishing getting aquanted when you see movement. A score of skeletons marching in step. Making not the barest whisper of noise they march almost directly towards you. What do you do?

"Qamachiel! The fiends are coming our way! Prepare yourself and may my song guide you to even greater heights of power!" Erasmus shouts as he points to the Undead. He draws his bow and begins to sing
Song effects:
Using Words of Creation and Dragonfire Inspiration. Me and all allies who can hear me deal an extra +10d6 fire damage on all attacks.
You hear Erasmus raise his voice in what can only be described as an angelic tenor. The words he sings at first seem to have no intelligible meaning. However, you can feel something great, powerful, and noble stirring deep inside of you as the music crescendos.

"There is no darkness that can beset,
The light that shines inside.
Of mighty Pelor's powerful hand
I sing that it may guide."

I assume I only get one action before the skeletons arrive. If not, let me know, as I will cast a spell.

Jade_Tarem
2011-03-17, 05:04 PM
Matthias

Orrum has an easier time finding Forge and Rachel - the two are in the northern chapel, looking over a crude map of the Isle of Necromancy that Rachel seems to have spread out over the floor. Forge, curiously, seems to be following what Rachel is telling him.

Forge has changed - about a week ago, Matthias had come back from one of his excursions with a vial of some strange liquid, and Forge had been... different - the wolf was noticeably longer, the gray parts of his fur had been replaced with a semi-radiant gold, and his eyes glowed with a curious amber light. The wolf also seemed smarter - by no means an unintelligent canine before, Orrum could swear that the wolf now understood some fairly complex humanoid speech, and even a little dwarven. Matthias refused to talk about what had happened, saying only that the changes hadn't been intentional and couldn't be replicated.

Nor did the changes end there - the new barding armor and attack bracers made Forge more dangerous than ever. However, the wolf's only reaction to Orrum's entrance is to look up and snort softly.

Asking about Matthias's location prompted Rachel to smile at him. "He's in the north tower, of course." Forge tilted his head at the correct door in a gesture similar to one frequently used by the ranger himself.

Orrum does indeed find Matthias at the highest window of the north steeple - a narrow slat in the wall designed with defense in mind. The ranger is staring out to where the temple's occupants know the King's army is camped when Orrum walks in, but he gives the dwarf his attention right away.

"Pheh. Senal could actually see 'em, yeh know that? Anyway, what do yeh need?" The ranger adjusts his hat - still with him after all the chaos, and brushes off his duster.

MountainKing
2011-03-17, 06:14 PM
Orrum

"We can remain idle no longer," Orrum stated plainly; he had grown to truly appreciate the ranger in the past month. The man had no taste for wasted breath when things needed to get done, "With the king's army gathering in the north, we have surely run out of time. We need to make our first move, and that begins with determining our priorities." Orrum glanced out the slat and looked stonefaced and untelling.

"I sincerely doubt Darvis would have left anything of value behind, unless he planned to return after his conquest... but with the king approaching, do we dare to leave anything behind that he can seize when we have left?" Orrum shook his head, "There is also the matter of the large, sealed door, but I do not know if we have time enough to sort that particular puzzle... nor do I know if the king will be able to pass it, if we have not, and seize what remains inside." Orrum fell silent for a moment, permitting Matthias to offer any input of his own.

Belthasar
2011-03-17, 09:17 PM
Qamachiel

The black-furred hound archon sniffles the air, and disliking the silent skeletons coming their way. However, the song of his companion filled his spirit with courage and his sword with flames.

After a while he speaks in a musical language, but for some reasons, everyone can understand what's he saying.

I have always a Tongues spell active; as a racial bonus. Just for you to know. :smalltongue:

I also have the Scent ability.

"I see them, my fine Erasmus," he replies with a friendly smile as he draws his greatsword. "Worry not, for I have come here to protect you. You're an interesting incorporeal being, but you never know if things like those could disrupt you..."

If I have one action to do before the army comes this way, I cast Aid on myself, gaining a +1 bonus on attack rolls (and saves vs fear), and [roll0] temporary hp.

fendrin
2011-03-17, 10:26 PM
Caedrian

Slipping into the shadows cast by the destroyed buildings, Caedrian watches the man.

An outsider... and he doesn't seem like the pleasant sort. Best keep my eyes on him. Discreetly.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Jade_Tarem
2011-03-18, 04:48 PM
Matthias

The ranger snorts. "We're talkin' about the door that singed yer beard when yeh looked at it funny? I wouldn't worry about that right now." He begins walking down the long staircase. "An' priorities? Well, we're tryin' to stay alive an' keep any of our enemies from winnin' everything. I guess that means takin' a good, hard look at the temple here and seeing if havin' a magical fortified structure is better than stayin' mobile an' hiding. Yer the seige expert - can the temple take an attack from one of our favorite guests?"

MountainKing
2011-03-18, 05:50 PM
Orrum

"That, I do not have an answer for. We have not seen battle with a burning soul in some time, let alone one on our doorstep. Without a powerful source of malefic energies nearby to test the wards that guard this place, we cannot hope to truly test, let alone know, what the answer to that question is," Orrum drew on his pipe quietly and gave Matthias a quiet look, "However, the temple has held for over a month, since Darvis first staged his coup, and it withstood the machinations of our enemies. There is the chance, that perhaps we could seek aid from religious leaders without, asking them to come to this place and help fortify it, as it is presently the last standing bastion of ancient good, against undying evil... but that also assumes we remain here, and attempt to defeat the king and his army." Orrum stepped away from the slat and pondered.

"We could attempt a strike at the palace, using varying levels of stealth. If he does in fact intend to return here, he will wish to return to a place with value to him. If we can raid it, and take what we can, it will reduce its value to Darvis, and alternatively to the king, when he arrives... but presently, a decision must yet be made. Darvis, or the king. Perhaps your ally whom returned you from the Hells can aid us there." Orrum stroked his beard, "I will attempt to scout the city with divinations and see what we may learn before we decide. If your ally may be found, seek him out and ask for his aid. We will reconvene when I have learned what I can, and make our decision then. Agreed?"

If Matthias agrees to the plan, Orrum will return to his quarters and prepare runes for his attempt. He will gather Rachel before doing so, with the intent of furthering her lessons a bit by permitting her to observe his methods of preparation, as well as continue to teach her a bit of Dwarven.

Jade_Tarem
2011-03-20, 12:40 AM
Matthias

The ranger nods. "More information can't hurt, but Sedius hasn't showed up since Tien went nuts. I'll take another look for him, though."

Matthias collects Forge before heading out. As he steps outside, he walks to the spot where he last saw the infernal swashbuckler. "Yeh remember Sedius, boy? I know it's been a bit, but can yeh find him?"

Forge tilts his head to one side and begins sniffing. Matthias takes a hard look around. Following a trail that's been cold for a month should be difficult, but then Sedius came from a plane with a strong, strong Brimstone stench, and some of the evidence had been burned into the ground outside of the temple, so he figured he had a shot...

Matthias Survival (Tracking): [roll0]
Forge Survival (Tracking): [roll1] Using Scent.

MountainKing
2011-03-20, 10:32 AM
Orrum

As Orrum prepares runes for a handful of spells, he explains his current plan of action to Rachel. Shrouded by a glamer, as one can never be too sure, Orrum intended to fly above the temple and cast a reasonably potent divination, called prying eyes. His instruction for the eyes would be to, "Fly ten feet above the rooftops and sweep a one mile radius around the temple, searching the streets below for one hour. Return if threatened." The instruction he could give was limited to only twenty five words, but the eyes created by his spell knew all that Orrum already knew about the dangers of the city, and their keen, magical senses would likely do them well. The eyes also flew at a fast speed; not only would they likely gather much information during their hour long sojourn, but if they WERE threatened, Orrum reasoned that there weren't many things that could actively catch one.

Finishing his preparations, and leaving the majority of his runes unprepared for now, Orrum cast a spell that gave him a twinge of nostalgia. Overland flight was the last spell Orrum had seen Egan Radley cast... Shaking his head, Orrum nodded to Rachel, leaving her with instructions as well.

"Today, you are to study the evocation school. You are to choose three spells of that school, memorize their qualities and behaviors, and prepare a brief passage about their individual potential drawbacks. These passages are due this afternoon, whereupon I briefly test your memorization." Orrum nodded slightly for his farewell, and left the room murmuring the command word that summoned his armor and shield. His runestaff, he attached to a short length of chain that now hung from the back of his plate armor, allowing the Dwarf to easily put the staff up, and bring it to the fore. His warhammer, he thrust into his belt, before taking the staff in his right hand. They needed information... so Orrum would strive to get it.

After putting his plans into action, Orrum will retrieve a handful of militia and place a watch outside at the rear of the temple so that he can study undisturbed... or at least make the attempt.

Orrum has prepared runes for the following spells: Detect Magic x2, Invisibility, Prying Eyes x2, Overland Flight. He has already cast Overland Flight, which has a duration of 14 hours. He will keep to his plan, casting Invisibility before going outside, flying to the roof to get a view of the city, then casting Prying Eyes with the instructions detailed in my post, which comes to a full 25 words. x_x I felt like Nale while trying to write them out.

Anyway, after casting Prying Eyes, Orrum will fly down to the back door of the temple, cast Detect Magic, and begin studying in depth everything he can. He needs to examine the repulsing effect that has been shielding the temple for so long, and he'd also like to re-examine the various spells and runes and such, just to see if he learns anything new with his growing knowledge skills. Oh, and it probably won't hurt to try and get an assessment of the building's structural integrity as well. Time to put those tools to work again! Plus that racial/class bonus to Appraise checks related to stone. :smallbiggrin: Rolling time!

Prying Eyes produces [roll0] magical eyes for the sweep.

I'll just roll a pile of skill checks, and the DM can use whatever ones he feels are necessary. I understand fully that my actions are going to be time consuming, and fully expect to be out of the action for a while. That is okay with me.

Spellcraft checks:
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Knowledge (Religion) checks:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Knowledge (Arcana) checks:
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Knowledge (The Planes) checks:
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]

Knowledge (Architecture) checks:
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

Craft (Stoneworking) checks:
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]

Appraise (Untrained):
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]

Now I'll just squee with anticipation over just what I'll find out~. :smallsmile:

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-03-20, 05:45 PM
@Orrum: You spend time studying the Temple of Foreign Gods, it's foundations both physical and metaphysical. At first you find out little you didn't already know. The Temple has a sort of "holy ground" ward about it, it doesn't seem any stronger than some temples Orrum has been to.. though the ruin of all the rest of the temple district attests to it's strength. Looking deeper with a patience and stubbornness for which his dwarven forebearers would be proud You continue your study and give the structure a good looking over.

Things look pretty upset by the last blast of the Burning Souls and that which destroyed them. Lesser buildings would have been blown off their foundations by what happened. In fact looking at the slight skewing of the foundation with an eye to the metaphysical provides your first clue. You see the Temple has wards on the surface, but that they proceed in layers. Strength upon strength for each carefully constructed layer, enforced with what look like magics of many races working togeather. The Dwarven rune magic you recognize, though it is cunningly combined with Elven arcane and divine natural magics that seem to pull strength from the very earth and sky, gnomish wards (you think) to make the mesh of wards harder to see and more subtle, and halfling faith magic to draw upon the beliefs of all those around it to add to it's strength, over the years adding to the strength, making it more with the years instead of fading. The wards function also appears more clear, to keep out evil, undead, demons and such both directly by force and repulsion and indirectly by making them avoid noticing it. An evil human, without supernatural influence would have no trouble with it except he might have trouble noticing anything odd about the area, or might find himself with a tendancy to avoid the area. Against Demons and Fell magics it is an invisable wall, hedging them out, stopping their entrance.

A Truely impressive, though mortal work. You can see it is fraying but with such power it will be years before it diminishes, if it does, which you are unsure of with the damage it has apparently taken. Though it has shown itself to be vulnerable to damage, if another wave of Burning souls or a Dracoliche should start uprooting the foundation you are unsure how long it would hold.. though it would at least take considerable effort.

The Door is another matter entirely. Short of Divine intervention, Legendary Archmages sacrificing their lives and such bedtime stories of myth and legend, you stil have little to compare it to. A balance of elements, magical and arcane in such a mandala like perfect fashion that you have difficulty imagining it being the working of individuals or even a powerful group. Yet it is simple in form, Looking at the warding around the temple you can almost see that the warding is almost a copy of the Door, a poor man's effort at using the concepts the door is built on to achieve great power.

Achieving an almost trance like reverie as you stare at the workings of power.

You silently mouth the words as you stare "..this is a door requiring 4 keys, 4 hands, 4 heroes to unlock. They wound not have built such a structure to seal away great evil, they meant it to be found, but only by the right group, in the right circumstance. Sealed away to provide hope for the future should something ancient come back.. come back after their.. descendants."

A chill runs through you as you shake yourself back to the present. You glance up and find your gaze drawn to the charred mark where Tien last stood. A light, faint in your magical vision seems to hover there for a moment , dissappearing before you can focus on it.

You are then further distracted by the return of your prying eyes. Well most of them, those heading towards the royal quarter did not return. Out of the remainder you see... a brief vision of a stalking man in black armor killing ghouls out of hand near the royal quarter (only one from over there to come back), a pair of white garbed figures with a tall blond naked womandragging a massive scythe not far from the temple street to the north, and a immaterial looking bard and a hound archon fighting spectral skeletons to the south

@Mathias: You head out. Forge seems dubious about your chances but still tries. Almost to his surprise he picks up on something and starts winding toward the Royal quarter with occasional stops to regain the trail or backtrack. You get the feeling Forge is sniffing at buildings Sedius may have hopped to in a teleprt/blink sort of rooftop tour of the city. As you travel around town... roll spot and listen

@Caedrian: The black garbed Knight turns down the next road, you carefully follow and he gives no sign of seeing you as you dart from cover to cover. After a minute or so another pack of ghouls, this time backed up by a pair of wights, one dressed as a warrior/knight, one wearing an arcane looking robe attack from surprise from a blind alleyway. The pack of ghouls follows a volley of magic missiles and a pair of arrows from the wight warrior into the Black Knight. You are horrified by the effectiveness of the ambush, as suddenly the pack of ghouls is tearing at the black knight in a mob through which you can't even see him.

Then there is a messy crunch noise and one fewer ghoul, a splintering sound as another flies in half. A third and fourth are crushed by a shield bash and casual backhanded strike. The Black Knight looks relatively unperturbed as he faces the last Ghoul and the warrior wight, the spellcaster takes a step back as the Knight reaches for his still sheathed sword, but hesitates to draw a weapon. That was all one round, if you wish to act roll initiative and give me your action(s) for the round.

@Qamachiel and Erasmus: The ghostly skeletons break ranks and charge. Their weapons swinging in a regular millitary cadence of strikes that avoid obstructing each other's attacks. You both manage to dodge the strikes, except for 1 that strikes Qamachial's flank. Feeling a sting of cold but no real feeling of impact, he is unsure of what the strike did, but he is sure it was far from pleasent. Quamachiel takes 3 subdual damage and is cursed (opposite of blessed) so -1's to rolls etc until dispelled.

@Lucifer and Daniel: The Blond woman makes no reaction to your appearance. Though she has a weary, almost lifeless gaze and she moves with the listless stumble of one in shock, she is to all appearences (including detect undead) alive. She turns down the next street and you get a flash of determination from her eyes as she sojourns on. The massive scythe still carving a clean line through the cobbles as she turns.

@Avigail: still waiting on a response, also as to your vestiges, after considerable internal debate you should be fine except for the vestiges Geryon and Acicerak(sp) who won't be in game for plot reasons, though alternatives could be sought.

Sinpoder
2011-03-20, 07:00 PM
Lucifer frowns slightly as he walks up to her, he was ready for a fight if it came down to it as he tried to talk to her. Miss...... Are you ok? Is there anything wrong?

Making Diplomacy Check.
[roll0]

Belthasar
2011-03-20, 07:26 PM
Qamachiel

"Here they come," says Qamachiel holding his sword.

After receiving one vicious hit, Qamachiel clenches his teeth and counterattacks, with two slashes and one bite. The attacks emit flames thanks to Erasmus' song.

"Don't ever touch a servant of Bahamut again!!" he barks at the skeletons.

Note: I always have Magic Circle vs Evil active, so against evil creatures I always have a +2 bonus on AC and saves. I also have Damage Reduction 10/evil, so unless the weapon is evil-aligned, it didn't made damage to me. :smallwink:

Full attack with my sword, 2 attacks plus one bite (all attacks good-aligned):
First slash: [roll0], damage: [roll1] plus [roll2] holy damage, plus 35 fire damage.
Second slash: [roll4], damage: [roll5] plus [roll6] holy damage, plus 40 fire damage.
Bite: [roll8], damage [roll9] plus 36 fire damage.

If either hits, I enter into Combat Focus, gaining +2 to Will saves and fast healing 2.

(The attacks already included the -1 curse penalty and the +1 Aid bonus, so...)

Also, an obvious thing: If I already killed the first one, I direct my attack to the second one, and so on, trying to drop as many skeletons as possible.

...And, I suppose the skeletons are immune to my Aura of Menace, so...

EDIT: Erasmus' fire damage rolled in the OOC thread, and added here. :smalltongue:

Qamachiel's stats:
AC 32*, Touch 14*, Flat-footed 30*
Condition Combat Focus (Fast Healing 2)
Aura Menace, Magic Circle vs Evil, Good, Courage, Fire (10d10)

goken04
2011-03-20, 07:53 PM
As he continues to sing, Erasmus takes a five-foot-step backwards (if he can). He then casts Mirror Image on himself. He creates [roll0] duplicates.

MountainKing
2011-03-21, 12:09 AM
Orrum

Orrum considered this new information; the latest wave of adventurers had arrive, and perhaps were more capable than the last... It would be difficult to tell. Stroking his beard idly, Orrum considered also his findings as he stared at the door, at least letting his divination end. Rubbing his eyes a little, Orrum stood floating above the sewage and rubble a moment longer, then shook his head. A lone Dwarf did not four heroes make. Orrum returned to the temple, recalling his militia to the safety within, and returned to the slat where he and Matthias had conversed. He cast the second rune of prying eyes he had prepared, sending out the second group with new instructions.

"Find Matthias and the newest adventurers. Monitor them. Make sure Matthias sees you. Return after Matthias sees you." The newest cloud of misty eyes whisked away on the breeze, and Orrum sighed a little. For the first time, it felt, he had found an answer to a question that had not opened further questions. Were he a lesser Dwarf, he would let the feeling overcome him, and perhaps decide he could finally die happy...

...Orrum, was not a lesser Dwarf.

Prying Eyes creates [roll0] eyes this time. It's go time!

fendrin
2011-03-23, 12:30 PM
Caedrian

The enemy of my enemy is my erstwhile ally. This guy doesn't seem to need the help, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't lend a hand... and if I have to run from him I doubt he could catch me in that metal. Zuoken, grant me speed...

Feeling the rush of his deity's divine presence fill his extremities, Caedrian summons forth every book, every legend, every scrap of knowledge he can
about fighting undead. Breaking his cover, he draws his weapons as he steps behind the arcane-looking wight and thrusts his rapier into it's back.

Init: [roll0]

Swift action: activate Travel Devotion
Free Action: Knowledge Devotion: K(Religion)[roll1]
Move Action: Move behind the caster-looking wight, draw rapier & dagger
Attack Action: Stabbity [roll2] +5 from Knowledge Devotion
Damage: [roll3] +5 from Knowledge Devotion
Sneak Attack: [roll4]

Ignores undead DR

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-03-23, 03:35 PM
@Caedrian: You strike true, driving your blade into the spine of the wight just below the skull, twisting the blade as you pull it out you see most of a vertibrae go flying. The undead fiend turns, his head held on by the eldritch energies animating him as opposed to anything physical. At this close range you can see the glowing motes of blue energy in the wights eyes flash in anger as it turns toward you and utters a harsh arcane phrase. You feel cold and numbness trying to enter your limbs... Will save please

Out of the corner of you eye you see the wight and the dark knight face off.. The knight still refuses to draw his weapon. The wight attacks several times, blocked by the knight's shield. The knight then opens his guard turning to face the wight square, just as the wight shifts to one side and thrusts his blade straight into the knights chest where it pierces his armor and comes clear out the other side in a gout of blood. The wight gives an unholy cackle as it turns to face you and attempts to drag the blade from the knights chest.

Only for the knight to grab the hilt and hold the blade there. Gripping the life draining flesh of the wight in his gauntlet without care, the wight fails to pull free. Stepping forward the Knight punches the wight brutally, several times forcing the wight down as bits of skull and bone go flying with each strike.

@Qamachiel and Erasmus: Two of the ghostlike skeletons fade from view entirely as the hound archons fire sheathed blade swings through them. leaving nothing of their ethereal essences but glowing motes that scatter upon the air.

The remainder continue to press in on all sides. Ghostly spears thrusting you both have more dufficulty avoiding them and both the ghostly bard and the hound archon feel the cold bite of the spectral spears. You've both been hit twice, so you take 8 damage each and are at -2's to your rolls, per curse/bane etc. Of note they appear immune to the illusionary images Erasmus summoned. and the damage isn't affected by DR becouse they count as spectral/Evil attacks

Above a barely visable spectral eye hovers 10 feet over the nearby buildings watching the events unfold and foretelling possible help.. but for what side?

@Orrum: You are now aware of the location of Erasmus and Quamachial, and could go help if you wish, looks like they are having a touch of trouble ;)

@Lucifer and Daniel: The blond woman seems to notice you for the first time, confusion apparent in her ice blue eyes. "I'm alive.. and I miss him, there is much that is not right." she says in a distant haunted sounding voice.

@Mathias: You may note the combat involving Caedrian, Davidson (that Black knight you met with the Dark Pegasi over in castle Derguil) and a few wights with obvious class levels on a successful listen/spot check (DC22) Feel free to jump in if you so choose.

Sinpoder
2011-03-23, 04:02 PM
Lucifer slowly approachs this women, his hands out in front of him in a sign of peace as he says " I am going to try and help you ok? " Lucifer than places his hand on her as he says O please great gods of power and justice please cure this women of all supernatural aliments

Casting Remove Curse

goken04
2011-03-23, 04:50 PM
DMftA:
Bane is a mind-affecting spell, which Erasmus is immune to. I've not subtracted the -2 from the following rolls, though if for some reason he is subject to them, please add them where appropriate.

Erasmus continues to sing out loudly, while drawing his bow back and firing off two shots.

Attack 1: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]+[roll2] fire damage.
If that kills the first skeleton, then the second attack goes against another. Otherwise, both attacks at the same skeleton.
Attack 2: [roll3] Damage: [roll4]+[roll5] fire damage.

fendrin
2011-03-23, 05:20 PM
Caedrian

Oh dear, it's trying to cast a spell on me... should I be worried? Nah.

[roll0] EDIT: +2 from Protection from Evil

Belthasar
2011-03-23, 06:41 PM
Qamachiel

Even if the hound archon was not the brightest mind on Celestia, he still had a natural, stubborn mind trained to fight evil at all costs.

Even if the strange eye floating above was intriguing, he was far more worried about the strange zombies. He continued swinging his blade, with the ocassional bite attack.

Question: How many zombies are in total?

Full attack: (considering the -2 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls)

First slash: [roll0], damage [roll1] + [roll2] holy + [roll3] fire.

Second slash: [roll4], damage [roll5] + [roll6] holy + [roll7] fire.

Bite: First slash: [roll8], damage [roll9] + [roll10] fire

Jade_Tarem
2011-03-24, 08:37 PM
Matthias

The ranger hears the nearby combat before he sees it, finally finding a clear view of it. Here we go again. New adventurers in town. He squints. Is that Hellbright? What's he doing here?

Whoever the new guy was, he and Hellbright were fighting a pack of wights - a clear enemy. Matthias watches the newcomer stab one of them in the neck. That's not good enough. Sure enough, the wight turned to retaliate, and Matthias made it his first target.

"Watch my back, boy." Forge gives an affirmative snarl and keeps alert, looking for anything trying to sneak up on his master. At the same time, the ranger levels his crossbow at the casting wight and opens fire.

"Ashes t' ashes..."

Full attack on Caedrian's target, Improved Precise Shot means I have no chance to hit Caedrian by accident. The following roles assume that the thing is actually undead and not a golem in disguise or something. The attacks are Ghost Touch, Dooming, and have the as-yet unnamed property that let them bypass Burning Soul DR.

Damage 1: [roll4] + [roll5] (Nemesis)
Damage 2: [roll6] + [roll7] (Nemesis)
Damage 3: [roll8] + [roll9] (Nemesis)
Damage 4: [roll10] + [roll11] (Nemesis)

MountainKing
2011-03-25, 10:12 PM
Orrum

Orrum raised an eyebrow as one of his magical scouts paused so near to the temple. Given the instructions he had given them, he knew that at least one of the adventurers was nearby. Orrum stroked his beard thoughtfully for a moment; it was doubtful that he would make it out of the temple and to the sensor's location before anything significant had changed. The Dwarf reflected briefly on the previous groups of adventurers that had come through Calamdan... all had given up, or succumbed to the undead menace.

"Let their resolve be tested, as iron upon the maker's anvil," he murmured, keeping an eye on the eye as he began his preparations for the remainder of the day.

Orrum will do nothing, but keep an eye on his Prying Eye that he can see, and prepare his spells... which I will deal with tomorrow. Super tired now.

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-03-25, 10:42 PM
@Orrum: As you wait and continue your preperations you hear distant, intense sounding explosion like sounds and .. music that sounds strangely inspiring carried on the wind.

@Mathias and Caedrian: Caedrin lunges backwards, seeking to avoid the spell, only to suddenly have his limbs freeze up on him. Falling to the ground he looks up as the wight mage looms over him. I realize your immunity to undead effects normally might make you immune to paralysis, however this was a spell effect CAST by an undead not an ability, minor point of rules lawyerage there but You are effectively held for a minute or so. You should be aware of this for the future that it will probably matter in this might becouse...

Then suddenly a volley of ghostly looking bolts hits the wight. Caedrin can't help but notice that the bolts are sticking into parts of the wight that don't even seem entirely physical. The wight literally falls to pieces under the assault.

Over by the dark knight there are continued crunching noises followed by a wet "splurch" noise. Looking in that direction you see the dark knight striding towards Caedrin, now wielding the sword that had recently impaled him. Of the wight there is some debris...

@Qamachiel and Erasmus: You both desperately fend off your attackers, noting that they fall easily to a single fire enhanced blow. Having almost half of the enemy spirits defeated, their next batch of attacks proves less effective as you rally to finish them off. No hits this round due to some atrocious rolling on the spectral skeleton's part.. next round ;)

@Lucifer and Daniel: The blond woman looks at Lucifer with a glare that could not be termed friendly even given a liberal interpretation of the term.

As you cast your curative magic the woman blurs into action and.. Lucifer: Roll your choice of a dex or strength check and a concentration check.

Belthasar
2011-03-25, 10:56 PM
Qamachiel

"Half of them have fallen," says Qamachiel to Erasmus. "Let us vanquish them without mercy!"

He steps in and keeps swinging his flaming sword, and biting fiercely.

Full-attack, still with the -2 penalty.

Attack 1 (sword): [roll0]; Damage: [roll1] plus [roll2] holy, plus [roll3] fire.

Attack 2 (sword): [roll4]; Damage: [roll5] plus [roll6] holy, plus [roll7] fire.

Attack 3 (bite): [roll8]; Damage: [roll9] plus [roll10] fire.

Also, my nonlethal damage healed fully thanks to my temporary fast-healing. :smallsmile:

Sinpoder
2011-03-26, 01:05 AM
Well Crap.......

Strength: [roll0]

Concetration: [roll1]

goken04
2011-03-26, 11:07 AM
Erasmus nods at Qamachiel as he continues to sing out loudly and fire his bow.

Attack 1: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]+[roll2] fire damage
Attack 2: [roll3] Damage: [roll4]+[roll5] fire damage

MountainKing
2011-03-26, 11:51 AM
Orrum

Orrum paused in mid-stroke, fingertip glowing brightly like the belly of a forge. He considered for a moment the explosion... it was not accompanied by the usual cacophony of hellish shrieking and bursts of flame licking at the sky that typically indicated the presence of Burning Souls... or had it? Resuming his preparations, Orrum spoke to Rachel, who had buried herself in his spellbook.

"Rachel, run to the north and south entrances, as well as the east and west windows. Tell the men that I have ordered an alert, and doubled watch," Orrum finished the rune he was working on and took his spellbook as Rachel jumped to her feet. He completed his command as he continued his preparations,

"This is not a drill."

Cracking open my books to get some of those spell slots dusted off and ready for the day; obviously, given the time it takes to prepare spells, Orrum isn't going anywhere for the time being. However, Rachel I'm sure is more than able to carry commands for him.

Niezck
2011-03-26, 03:51 PM
Daniel Alrax

Having remained silent and calm thus far, Daniel looks on as his companion attempts to cure the woman of any ailments she may suffer.

As she blurs into action, the Ruby Knight draws his sword and stands ready to protect his friend should the need arise.

fendrin
2011-03-26, 07:19 PM
Caedrian

Shaking off the spell's effects, Caedrian turns to the heavily armored warrior.

"Well, I suppose you didn't really need my help after all. And... " he says, turning to the crossbowman, "many thanks for your assistance, though it too was unnecessary."

Wiping the bits of wight off of his rapier, he sheathes his weapons.

"My name is Caedrian."

He looks around at the devastation.

"What in the nine hells has happened to the city? I knew it was under attack... "

Jade_Tarem
2011-03-26, 08:17 PM
Matthias

The ranger approaches at the same time Hellbright does. "Davidson! What are yeh doin' here? And why can't anyone from yer place ever aquire a weapon normally?"

At Caedrian's question, he snorts. "Shoot. What hasn't happened here?" The wolf by his side snarls and shakes his head in what looks suspiciously like a nod.

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-03-30, 11:50 AM
@Caedrian and Mathias: Turning towards Mathias the Dark Knight says simply.
"I have been sent to insure Rachel's safety, the Derguil is concerned that they have not heard from you about her being returned."
He then turns back towards Caedrian and looks about the surroundings warily. "I unfortunately do not know my way around the city and the constant attacks by local undead do little to simplify getting my bearings. I would wield my sword, but it is much more difficult to finish opponents when they flee in terror."

@Lucifer and Daniel: Lucifer finds himself suddenly upon the ground, swept easily from his feet by a hard to see swipe of the woman's Scythe, his spell ruined. As the Scythe, gleaming wickedly descends directly towards his forehead, Daniel finally steps forward. Blade ready to defend his ally, the scythe stops, reorients and points toward Daniel instead, almost like a thing alive, it moves without the woman turning.
A tense moment as you all wait to see what happens, prepared to fight for your lives or flee ends as the woman speaks. "I care not, live, die, but do not try my blade, lest you suffer as I have by my hand. I seek the temple.." The scythe swings slowly around to her shoulder. "..would you know the way?"

@Qamachiel and Erasmus:More of the undead fall, destroyed by bursts of flame, the remainder press in and land a hit on either of the protagonists another 4 damage each and an additional -1 curse. For reference the curse is indeed affecting you both, and may need to be countered somehow, but the good news is you have only 3 opponents left suddenly so with a solid showing next round you should avoid any further strikes.

Sinpoder
2011-03-30, 02:09 PM
Lucifer looked at the blade and knew that there was something wrong with it, and he knew he had to destory it or get it away from the women some how. Lucifer then thought of a great idea and then raised up his hand and called out to the good gods. O Good Gods please hold this women down, allow her to be struck dumb by your might!

Spell: Hold Person DC 18.... well that kinda a sucky DC....

Belthasar
2011-03-30, 05:22 PM
Qamachiel

The hound archon feels slowed by the curse. He could easily counter it with his natural blessing talents, but he decided that a good offense is the best defense.

"Three more to go, my friend," he says as he once again slashes twice and bites once. "Do not let that flying object up there distract you!"

Full attack again: (with the -3 penalty)

Slash 1: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] +[roll2] holy +[roll3] fire.

Slash 2: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] +[roll6] holy +[roll7] fire.

Bite: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9] +[roll10] fire.

goken04
2011-04-02, 02:40 PM
Erasmus continues to sing to ensure the death of the skeletons. If Qamachiel's assault didn't drop them all, Erasmus will fire his arrows at those remaining. If it did, he will shoot at the scrying device.

Attack 1: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]fire damage.
Attack 2: [roll3] Damage: [roll4]+[roll5]fire damage.

fendrin
2011-04-03, 07:38 AM
Caedrian

"Well, lucky for you I am a life-long resident of this fine... well, formerly fine city. I don't know who this Rachel is or where she might be, but wherever you'd like to go I can show you the way. I'd also be more than happy to help rid my city of the undead."

He pauses for a moment, pondering the implications of what has been said.

"Constant attacks? So the city is overrun with them. That explains all the damage, I suppose. Gods above, how has it come to this?"

Overcome, he sits down on a large piece of rubble, holding his head in his hands.

"This much devastation... how long... what year is it???"

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-04-05, 09:16 PM
@Caedrian and Mathias: You start through the city. Davidson insisting on traveling immeadiately, apparently eager to make progress towards his mission of finding Rachel. He plucks up anyone not making a brisk walk with him with an off hand terrifying strength, setting them down as soon as they understand he does not wish to dawdle about an undead infested city, as if he had a lot of experience with that sort of thing. He says in a perfectly rational, serious voice "Ridding the city of the undead may not be possible, there seems to be an influx of them from the Isle of Necromancy. I have recognized several strong varieties of undead not seen elsewhere. Between that and the somewhat organized resistance here I think something is purposely trying to do something involving bad things with dimensional thaumaturgy. My only recomendation would be to destroy them.. utterly.. it usually works for most magical problems in my experience, either that or ask a wizard and let them deal with..."

In the distance a terrible Crack-thoomis heard. Like a cross between thunder and an avalanche. Davidson immeadiatly increases his pace to a jog saying to Mathias. "That is the direction of the Temple is it not?"

@Lucifer and Daniel: The woman seems to stop, preternaturally so still you'd almost think she also stopped breathing. After a moment of this you hear her say under her breath. "You can't stop him.. wait.. what? something.. Oh no you can't escape him that easily, once dead, dead you shall stay."

She then abruptly starts a slow predatory walk down the street away from you. A moment later she seems to stop again and looks down at herself.. then back at the two of you. "I'm naked?" she then stalks over to a nearby storefront and tears down a ragged tarp, pulling it around her and slicing it into a baggy tattered looking crude cowl. "This way, I may require aid." she says with the most animation you've heard from her yet, and she starts running down the street as you THEN hear a gigantic thunderous crack and the sound of falling rubble from several blocks away.

@Qamachiel and Erasmus: With some difficulty you finish the remaining spectral soldiers off. The curses they have laid slowing your swings and spoiling your aim, making the last few seem to take forever to land blows upon. All looks well though, but...

Before you can do anything of note there is a Increadible "CRACK THOOM!!" as the ground erupts and you find yourselves thrown from your feet by the shockwave. Suddenly not 20 yards from you a gigantic stone statue, over 25 feet tall seems to have crashed up through the street. Debris rains down in a steady stream for several seconds as the cloud of crushed stone and marble clears. The statue looks to be of the sort commemorating a great general's life, decorations and a millitant demeanor are apparent in both the clothes and motions of the statue as it looks about it. "The Great Warrior lives again, even DEATH cannot stop me!"

@Orrum: You definately heard that. In fact you can see the titan sized stone golem being from the waist up over the intervening rooves. Your spell "eye" was also destroyed by the debris. Behind you the armsmen seem to ready themeselves. Rachel peeks out the doors before disappearing back into the temple, book for her lesson still clutched in hand.

Belthasar
2011-04-05, 09:42 PM
Qamachiel

"Erasmus?" the hound archon mutters. "Are you alright...? Hey, what in the unknown seventh layer of Celestia is THAT...?"

Questions:
1) How much distance are between the golem and us?

2) Did it see us?

MountainKing
2011-04-05, 09:54 PM
Orrum

Orrum pinches the bridge of his nose and sighs; it's always some damned thing. If the monument was so eager to live, in spite of death, then so be it... Orrum was busy...

I'm in your temple, preparing my spells. I should get a Do Not Disturb sign. :smallbiggrin:

goken04
2011-04-06, 03:39 PM
"Fine." says Erasmus between beats of the song he continues to sing. As for what in Celestia that thing was, he presses his mind to find out:

Knowledge Arcana (if it is a construct): [roll0]
Knowledge Religion (if it is some sort of undead): [roll]1d20+13[roll]
Knowledge Local (to see if i know anything about this Great Warrior): [roll1]
And a Bardic Knowledge check to see if I know anything about this Great Warrior or what kind of creature it is: [roll2]

And since those are all free actions, I'll ready an action to hit it with Disintegrate if it comes within 20' of me (assuming it's not already. If it is, I'll hit it if it advances toward us at all) Fort DC 23 (affects objects, i.e. undead and constructs). Unless, of course, any of my Knowledge checks tell me that would be useless.

fendrin
2011-04-06, 07:25 PM
Cedrian

This guy talks too much. No wonder he had to stop to fight so often... they could probably hear him talking three blocks away.

Caedrian more than keeps up with the black-armored man, dashing ahead to corners and stealthily peering around to check for marauding undead.

Upon hearing the Crack-thoom and Davidson's comment upon it, he replies
"That does seem to have come from the temple district...."

He picks up the pace, though does not allow himself to get further ahead of the knight or the crossbowman than would be prudent.

Jade_Tarem
2011-04-06, 08:39 PM
Matthias

The ranger has no trouble keeping up with Hellbright. "We didn't contact you because we never found a second portal. Also we were kinda busy with the hag an' the end of the world an' all."

When the explosion occurs, he snarls. "And... that's where Rachel is."

Niezck
2011-04-11, 11:40 AM
Daniel looks to his companion with an utterly baffled look.

"Well that was odd."

He then proceeds to follow the woman, sword and shield at the ready.

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-04-20, 04:02 PM
@Everyone: OOC Sorry it's been a bit busy in the IRL side of things for me. I'm been wrangled into running 3 IRL games on a weekly basis, have had some bouts of overtime at work and am coping with a return of my Fiance' to her WOW habit, (which of course involves me) while dealing with a disasterous string of now failed wedding preparations. (The wedding is still on, just not going to be anything like what we envisioned.. probably a Justice of the peace at City hall kind of deal now.:smallfrown:) So yes I'm still here.. yes the game is still on, real life be damned. Just don't be surprised if the present pace continues for the next week or so. My Sincere Appologies

@Erasmus: You stare at the huge millitaristic statue and wrack your memory.
Local, indeed regional and even adjacent kingdoms, modern and ancient do not have uniforms consistent with what the statue before you "wears". It has some similarities to the very ancient local millitary uniforms but is different enough to indicate a fairly large lapse of time there.. meaning it has to be increadibly old.. over 1-2 thousand years.

You have heard stories.. some would say horror stories about a type of construct called a "Collossus" which would be about the right size. Huge killing machines built by ancient civilizations to wreak terrible destruction. Immune to magic and with a strength capable of tossing around buildings out of hand.. you rally hope that isn't what this is. There wasn't anything in said stories about them talking though...

Another speaking option involves some very old stories tossed around by bards concerning "Living Statues" usually some hero or adventurer caught by fell magics into a bizarre petrified state that they can move and speak in. However there aren't any such stories that involve things of this size. usually they are at best a dozen feet in height. They usually figure into some pretty sappy stories about helping some party escape certain doom by leaping to their rescue in one last burst of movement. They also usually are not malevolent...

@Everyone: You all are now in the plaza containing the huge statue like construct. It's grainy granite facade twists into a rictus of anger as it gazes down at all those asembled. Twisting forward with terrible speed it crushes 2 of Erasmus, sending a shockwave out and ruining a section of the street. Before his apparent squashing an image of him manages to cast a beam of destructive energies square into the things chest. There is a bit of a cloud of debris, but as it clears there is a bit of apparent damage on the things chest, a chunk missing. It roars and prepares to continue it's assault.

@Erasmus: Two of your images have been destroyed, the concussive wave from it hitting the ground near you almost knocked you off your feet. You are now fairly certain it's hostile.

@Everyone: Initiative

fendrin
2011-04-20, 06:34 PM
@DMftA: OOC unrelated to the game
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about your wedding woes. I hope everything works out for you.

As for WoW addictions... I swore I'd never touch it, but an ex-gf of mine got me playing. Thankfully I got some of my life back from Azeroth after she and I split up. Most of the time, I don't miss it (or her). Long story short, I know how it can be. :smallwink:
For the horde, mon.

Caedrian

What the... first hordes of undead, now this... thing. Whatever it is.

Initiative: [roll0]

Knowledge Checks to identify, including +5 from Collector of Stories:
Arcana: [roll1]
History: [roll2]
Local: [roll3]
Religion: [roll4]
The Planes: [roll5]
One of them ought to cover it...

MountainKing
2011-04-27, 09:58 AM
Orrum

Orrum continues doing his thing, not realizing that his actions were in fact a cleverly disguised bump, as he certainly is not part of the everyone being spoken of; even if he had his spells finished, he wasn't about to leave a fortified structure to tackle an angry monolith.

Belthasar
2011-04-28, 11:35 AM
Qamachiel

The hound archon readies his sword and sniffles the air. "I do not like where is it going, Erasmus. First zombies, now this...?"

Jade_Tarem
2011-04-28, 11:47 PM
Matthias

Looking at the fresh hell in the plaza, Matthias shrugs and readies his crossbow. "You'll learn to get used to this. Weird crap happens all the time around here." He says to Caedrian.

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-05-04, 05:05 PM
Initiative is
Caedrian: 24
Sol: 22 (The chick with the oversized scythe)
Davidson: 16 (scary NPC dark knight)
Collossus: 15 (the actual bad guy)
Quamachial: 11
Mathias: 10

Caedrian is the first to react... (take a turn and then take another with everyone else so you are all going consecutive compared to the NPC's)
also as to your knoledge checks. You determine that it is either a collossus golem that's gone out of control or been possessed by some sort of spirit, you are honestly not sure how that's even possible, but it does look similar to some of the ancient collosai found in the region that dates back to the founding of the country thousands of years ago.

The scantily clad woman dashes out and leaps high at the giant statue. Her scythe flashes out and tears a trio of long gouges into it's side. It yelps like a human who has had a housecat rake it and flinches in fashion most un-golem like.

Davidson then charges up and delivers a solid blow that looks like it would bisect a normal person, to a vastly different effect. His blade shatters on the ankle of the collossus, leaving him holding a hilt and several jagged inches of bent metal. You can read the frustration in his body language as he throws the useless weapon away. He reaches for the sword on his back, but hesitates when he sees that it's been damaged by the scantily clad woman, he leans back to watch the golems movements for a moment.

The Collosus angrily strikes the blond woman with a fist the size of a small building before she can even get her feet under her. She twists away from the blow, but still looks heavily damaged as she literally goes flying into a 2nd floor window accross the plaza.

Everyone take your turn :smallbiggrin:

fendrin
2011-05-04, 11:02 PM
Caedrian

Watching as the black-armored knight shatters his sword on the colossus's stony surface, Caedrian grips his rapier and dagger tighter as reconsiders his hasty initial reaction to take on the massive stone creature.

True perfection means knowing one's limits... only then can one overcome them.

OOC:
I was going to say delay initiative, but to make things simpler lets say full defense. There's no way Caedrian could take this thing on by himself and he doesn't have a clue what anyone else can do...

Jade_Tarem
2011-05-12, 10:09 PM
Matthias

The woodsman frowns and levels his crossbow at the statue.

Assuming Construct...

Damage 1: [roll4]
Damage 2: [roll5]
Damage 3: [roll6]
Damage 4: [roll7]

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-05-13, 06:25 PM
@Everyone: Caedrian wisely steps back as the towering statue looks around, a slow confidant grin forming on it's granite features.

A volley of Crossbow bolts then hits it at about crotch level. 2 of the bolts deflect harmlessly, the other 2 however disappear into the stone leaving only telltale holes and a priceless change in facial expressions that alert you to the fact that those 2 shots definately stung the stony general.

The Statue is about to charge Mathias, with the obvious goal of crushing him quite thouroughly, when it almost trips over Davidson, who weaponless is holding his ground. Placing his hands on the emerging General's knee, the dark knight gives a mighty shove.. that is barely noticable to the stony collosal being. It goes to press rather effortlessly past, when Davidson again reaches out, places both hands against it and wordlessly unleashes a jolt of black power straight into the statue's leg. This time it notices, and you see it reel in obvious pain and sudden weakness, staggering away and struggling to get away from the relatively tiny knight, like an elephant afraid of a mouse.

Meanwhile a very hurt looking scantily clad woman, opens the door to the bakery she got tossed into and looks around like she is unsure of weither going back into the fray would be wise.

@Everyone: Your turn again...

fendrin
2011-05-13, 11:22 PM
Caedrian

Yes... the legs are a weak point. Not to mention that they are all I can reach.

Tossing himself into a twisting tangle of movement, Caedrian maneuvers himself into the shadows behind the creature's leg, opposite the the black-clad knight. As he moves he summons forth the immutable solidity of his deity, followed by a swift strike with his rapier at the backside of the creature's stony knee.

Swift Action: activate Strength Devotion
Move action: tumble into a flanking position with Davidson
Standard Action: attack

Rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1] includes flanking
[roll2] + [roll3]
overcomes DR as magic, good, silver & adamantine

Jade_Tarem
2011-05-17, 09:47 PM
Matthias

Still not completely certain of what's going on, Matthias decides to abide by the policy that's kept him alive for so many years - shoot first, then ask questions if there's time for that sort of thing.

Damage 1: [roll4]
Damage 2: [roll5]
Damage 3: [roll6]
Damage 4: [roll7]

MountainKing
2011-05-17, 11:08 PM
Orrum

Stares at a book, unaware that someone with a name that rhymes with "Bedrin" was concerned about his action, or lack thereof, as he was busying himself with his spellbook.

Belthasar
2011-05-19, 11:19 PM
Qamachiel

"Erasmus...?" the hound archon says to his silent companion.

But then he notices the woman and immediately leaps to help her. "Are you alright, miss?"

Sword in hand, he watches his surroundings as he attempts to protect her.

My turn:

Check if the woman is alright. (Heal check if necessary to do it: [roll0])

If I have more actions left, I'll cast Aid on myself, gaining [roll1] temporary hit points and a +1 bonus on attack rolls and saves.

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-05-24, 09:50 PM
@Everyone: Caedrian moves behing the collosal statue and rakes his rapier down it's leg. He is rather surprised by the response. Oddly the weapon seems to do no physical damage, the leg appears unscratched by the blade. However the Ululating scream from the Collosus tells a different story, and the thing reacts as if it had indeed been maimed, seeming to lose motion in the struck leg as if it were hamstrung.

Mathias's bolts continue to hit, occasionally bouncing off but managing some more solid penetrations as well.

Quamachiel sees to the womans considerable injuries, noting her fractured and broken limbs he is rather amazed that any mortal would continue to move in such a state, nevermind seemingly try to rejoin the fight. She's down over 150 HP for reference, she looks like she's still willing to fight, but also willing to let you help her...

The Colossus on one leg gives a frustrated roar and takes it's frustrations out on the easiest target, Davidson. Swinging arms the size of massive pilars it lands 4 crushing blows upon the dark knight in rapid succession, the surrounding terrain cracks and explodes with the onslought momentarily clouding everyone's view. The Colossus begins to laugh and gloat, expecting little more than a crater, but as the smoke clears the knight is somewhat damaged looking but defiantly still standing.

Davidson responds with several well placed but ineffective punches to the colossus's groin.

Everyone's turn again, the colossus looks damaged and ready to be taken down for reference.

Orrum notices Rachel come up behind him, trying to simultaneously hide behind you and peer out at the destruction. "I wish it would stop soon.." she mumbles

MountainKing
2011-05-24, 11:17 PM
Orrum

"I have warned you before, child, of the dangers of wishful thinking," Orrum replied, chiding her sternly, "Would that it could be, that a great deal of this were over. So long as we draw breath, we must make our own wishes come true, to the best of our abilities, great or small." Orrum turned a page in his spellbook and stroked his beard for a moment before beginning a new rune.

"Report. Have the militia begun the increased state of alert?"

Jade_Tarem
2011-06-01, 10:54 PM
Matthias

The ranger takes a momentary break from shooting to shout at the statue. "Hey! You up there! What are yeh doin' here?"

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-06-14, 12:29 PM
@Orrum: The Militia report they are indeed at a heightened state of alert. The glances they throw at the none too distant spectacle more than reason enough to expect trouble. Though you notice with a bit of pride that they seem to be paying it less mind than their assigned approaches, expecting subterfuge or a decoy action perhaps.

@Everyone else: The battle continues, though the Collosus is clearly foundering. Torn at from several angles it seems to be at the brink of death, which seems a bit odd considering it's only slightly marred nearly impregnable surface.

It's only response to Mathias's called question is a frustrated grunt as it struggles to rise and crush it's tiny (coparitively) aggressors.

OOC: Yeah looks like the game is dwindling again, I feel more than partialy at fault due to real life issues making me resistant to gaming right now. However that may be changing and if the new job works out my posting rate may be back to where it was when I began DMing on these forums becouse I may again be able to post from work.

The bad news is I'm not sure who's still here. Everybody.. even if you haven't posted for awhile, I encourage your input and ask you to please post once a week.:smallredface:

MountainKing
2011-06-20, 10:43 PM
Orrum

The Dwarf nodded, a gesture his men had come to recognize as a compliment. He was proud of them for what they had become in only a month's time. Proud at least, to the extent that Orrum would permit himself to be. He knew that while his men had the hearts of heroes, few, if any of them, had the bodies. They all knew that, and they had all accepted that.

Those who had refused either state of mind, had died or fled long ago.

"Rachel, run to the barracks and rouse any who are off shift. Today may be a day of action, not readiness, and I wish to brief them before they become too mired in slumber. I may have to leave this place," Orrum turned a page in his spellbook and stroked his beard, "And if that is the case, I will not be able to deliver a second briefing."

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-07-05, 01:02 PM
@Everyone: The titanic statue screams in rage sufficient to shatter some nearby windows and shake the buildings within a few blocks. "I will not be destroyed, I Will never die till I have conquered EVERYTHING! You cannot stop me..."

This tirade is interupted by a huge explosion that flings dust and debris into the sky masking even the gigantic statue from view momentarily. It crashes down with a crash that reverberates through the neighborhood.

As the dust clears the statue, still only slightly damaged to all appearances lay still amidst the streets crushed cobblestones and underlying brick foundation.

Of interest the place the statue arose through the street seems to have left a shaky looking cave like opening leading down past the sewers.

What's everyone doing?

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-07-13, 03:21 PM
OOC: OK everybody it's been awhile so I have a question for everyone still watching/playing. Do we want to continue the game or have a mini wrap up? Basically I'm still willing to DM here.. glutton for punishment that I am, or I can just narrate a little story to wrap up this campaign to some degree.

I leave the choice up to the players.. if there are any still left...

Jade_Tarem
2011-07-13, 03:32 PM
OOC: I'm actually still around, although I've been working and doing some other stuff this summer. Plus, the posting rate in this game slowed to the point where posting doesn't seem as urgent.

If the game is still alive in about a month, I can post more often then. I'll go with the group decision on the go/kill call, though.

MountainKing
2011-07-14, 11:02 PM
OOC: With the posting rate as it is, I've all but lost interest in the game, not to mention my character. If we can go on hiatus for a bit until we can get a better posting rate going, then I'll wait before we McCoy this thing.

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-08-03, 01:10 PM
OOC: Just pinging the game to see if everyone/anyone is still there? I'm open to suggestions but if it's just the two of you we can continue or try another round of recruitment...?

MountainKing
2011-08-06, 05:50 PM
OOC: Well, I think where we left it, it was kind of left up to you. Like I said before, if something can be done about the posting rate, I might be able to rouse myself.

Jade_Tarem
2011-08-13, 12:33 AM
OOC: I'm back at Auburn now. If there was ever going to be a time to kick start the game, this would be it, but at this point it may be better to let it die.

It's up to you. :smallconfused:

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-08-13, 01:36 PM
I would like to continue, though if there is no interest I suppose I can at least finish things up with a bit of story time wrapping up, so at least we can get some sense of closure and you can see some of the plans I had for the game, I'm actually kind of proud of all the work I put into it actually.:smallfrown:

If it's a pacing Issue I CAN post more often, however with "everyone" always having different posting days/times it makes it tough on a play by post to make sure everyone gets their say and their turn to contribute.

That being said we can continue to recruit, after a few successive waves we might find a few willing to stay on.

In conclusion my vote is for continuation, though without any interest it wil be continuation via exposition, instead of the much more satisfying roleplaying it out.

Tim

Jade_Tarem
2011-08-13, 01:43 PM
It doesn't *have* to die. Everyone (myself included) just needs to be willing to go at it.

MountainKing
2011-08-14, 07:08 PM
(For me, it's absolutely a pacing issue, especially when one is trying to do things that are not round by round actions. It gets extremely frustrating to wait a week or more for an update, only to feel expected to report in for duty, while still not actually being available for action. If the rate can go to at least 1 DM update a day, I'll join in.)

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-08-17, 01:25 PM
OOC: I doubt I'll be able to make that sort of commitment, though I check just about daily, I usually have enough time commitments that having a well thought out post done every day may not be possible. (especially on days with overtime or other gaming commitments when I'm not home.)

I prefer to wait for all the players to have input, then respond to the whole thing in one go.

So where I am capable of increasing my post count considerably, I do require players who similarly post often, and while I'm waiting for players most of a week seems the regular wait time.. if they post at all.:smallfrown: