PDA

View Full Version : Upping your Natural Healing [3.5/PF]

Tanuki Tales
2010-10-17, 06:27 PM
For this discussion only feats and traits can be given for use, no magic items, no alchemical items, no races, no spells, no classes, etc (Though skills are allowed to be used).

I'm looking for the highest you can raise your natural healing rate without resorting to some form of Fast Healing or Regeneration.

So far I'm looking at Faster Healing combined with Rapid Metabolism which, with a Heal check, nets you 4 times your HD plus twice your con modifier per period of rest. (If these don't stack then for the purpose of this exercise they do.)

Can we get this any higher?

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-10-17, 07:40 PM
troll blooded

/thread

Seffbasilisk
2010-10-17, 08:07 PM
troll blooded

/thread

Troll blooded gives you regeneration. Check the OP.

I'm not certain, but if I recall correctly, there's a trait called 'Hardy' that might do something similar.

You've already found the feat from CWar I see...

Psyren
2010-10-17, 08:08 PM
For this discussion only feats and traits can be given for use, no magic items, no alchemical items, no races, no spells, no classes, etc (Though skills are allowed to be used).

I'm looking for the highest you can raise your natural healing rate without resorting to some form of Fast Healing or Regeneration.

So far I'm looking at Faster Healing combined with Rapid Metabolism which, with a Heal check, nets you 4 times your HD plus twice your con modifier per period of rest. (If these don't stack then for the purpose of this exercise they do.)

Can we get this any higher?

I don't see psionics there anywhere so this is easy :smallamused:

Tanuki Tales
2010-10-17, 08:08 PM
Troll blooded gives you regeneration. Check the OP.

I'm not certain, but if I recall correctly, there's a trait called 'Hardy' that might do something similar.

You've already found the feat from CWar I see...

And Rapid Metabolism. Not as good as Faster Healing, but if you got a nice, juicy Con mod...

@Psy: That falls under the "etc." obviously. :smallbiggrin:

Tanuki Tales
2010-10-18, 11:49 AM
So, I'm guessing that 4 times HD + twice con is as high as we can get it on feats, traits and skill checks alone?

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-10-18, 02:59 PM
Troll blooded gives you regeneration. I don't understand why the OP doesn't want it. Regeneration is accelerated natural healing, though I can't find where it says so explicitly. Here's the implicit part:

"Regeneration does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation.

Attack forms that don’t deal hit point damage ignore regeneration.

A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability."

Granted regeneration does extra stuff that natural healing doesn't (without starfish enzymes :), of course) but it still appears to work the same way

Tanuki Tales
2010-10-18, 09:10 PM
I don't understand why the OP doesn't want it. Regeneration is accelerated natural healing, though I can't find where it says so explicitly. Here's the implicit part:

"Regeneration does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation.

Attack forms that don’t deal hit point damage ignore regeneration.

A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability."

Granted regeneration does extra stuff that natural healing doesn't (without starfish enzymes :), of course) but it still appears to work the same way

First off, I specifically said it wasn't allowed to be used. It doesn't matter why I made these stipulations, because its my place as thread creator to place them. You honestly have no right to tell me that your answer is the correct one (or that it ends the thread) when I explicitly said it couldn't be used.

Second off, Regeneration never actually says it's a form of natural healing. The only thing it does mention is that the creature heals at an accelerated like Fast Healing.

Now, one could say this implies that it works just like Fast Healing save where it says otherwise or that it was only mentioning Fast Healing because both methods allow the creature to recuperate at an accelerated rate and that Fast Healing came before it alphabetically.

Road_Runner
2010-10-18, 09:17 PM
Just out of curiousity is this for optimizing a shifter?

Tanuki Tales
2010-10-18, 09:18 PM
Just out of curiousity is this for optimizing a shifter?

Nope, just a thought I had and wanted to follow to its conclusion.

Why?

Road_Runner
2010-10-18, 11:05 PM
Nope, just a thought I had and wanted to follow to its conclusion.

Why?

Because the shifter PRC gets basically infinite shapechange at will as a move action at the 10th level of the prestige class. Just like the polymorph skill in the PHB, when you shapeshift you heal as if you had rested for a night.

So 1 round= 2 move actions = 8 x HD plus four times your Con Modifier.

This character destroyed our party druid in a 1v1 arena at 16th level (our DM is evil).

Tanuki Tales
2010-10-18, 11:29 PM
Because the shifter PRC gets basically infinite shapechange at will as a move action at the 10th level of the prestige class. Just like the polymorph skill in the PHB, when you shapeshift you heal as if you had rested for a night.

So 1 round= 2 move actions = 8 x HD plus four times your Con Modifier.

This character destroyed our party druid in a 1v1 arena at 16th level (our DM is evil).

Huh. That's interesting.

Coidzor
2010-10-18, 11:34 PM
Second off, Regeneration never actually says it's a form of natural healing. The only thing it does mention is that the creature heals at an accelerated like Fast Healing.

Well, it's part of the creature and it's not part of an external magical effect, so... :smalltongue:

Why you have your stipulations should be known so that other methods presented to you don't ping on your ban list, even if it's just that regeneration and fast healing are banned to PCs.

Though, in that case, we'd say, you know, you really shouldn't spend so much resources on natural healing when magical healing is cheaper and more efficient and lets your character's offensive power not be held back.

Because the shifter PRC gets basically infinite shapechange at will as a move action at the 10th level of the prestige class.

You mean the thing that was replaced by the Master of Many Forms?

Andion Isurand
2010-10-18, 11:55 PM
although it might be considered an item, the Silthilar Blood Graft from lords of madness grants Fast Healing 2

Amiel
2010-10-18, 11:59 PM
What level are you?
There's the Fast Healing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#fastHealing) epic feat, which adds another 3 to your fast healing. Taking this feat multiple times causes the effects to stack.

Tanuki Tales
2010-10-19, 11:22 AM
*sighs*

I specifically said Fast Healing and Regeneration could not be used in this.

@Coidzor: Hey, just stating what the RAW actually says. Not saying it works that way, though I don't see how regular natural healing can let you pull yourself back from a smear of blood. :smalltongue:

Well, my banned for this exercise list is pretty well said. It has to be from a feat, character trait or skill check, nothing else and can't be Fast Healing or Regen. So that invalidates Magic, Psionics, Items, Classes, Races, Templates, etc.

And if people honestly need a framework reason for this, lets just assume the exercise is taking place in a low to no magic/psionics/et.c setting.

Vulaas
2010-10-19, 11:59 AM
Faster Healing feat from CW seems to be what you want, also there is a stance in Tome of Battle (acquirable via feats) that makes you heal 2 every time you hit someone. Stone Power (another ToB feat) gives you temporary HP for a minus on your attack rolls, which isn't quite what you were looking for, but it still is a non-class, non-magical way of extending your HP total.

More questionable to your stipulations is a DC 60 Autohypnosis check, as that only gives 10+wis temporary hit points, once per day, and is a psionic skill. Mentioned for completeness (of what I know).

Tanuki Tales
2010-10-19, 12:23 PM
Faster Healing feat from CW seems to be what you want, also there is a stance in Tome of Battle (acquirable via feats) that makes you heal 2 every time you hit someone. Stone Power (another ToB feat) gives you temporary HP for a minus on your attack rolls, which isn't quite what you were looking for, but it still is a non-class, non-magical way of extending your HP total.

More questionable to your stipulations is a DC 60 Autohypnosis check, as that only gives 10+wis temporary hit points, once per day, and is a psionic skill. Mentioned for completeness (of what I know).

Already have Faster Healing and technically none of those increase your rate of Natural Healing.

Nice tricks regardless though.

Amiel
2010-10-20, 03:33 AM
*sighs*

I specifically said Fast Healing and Regeneration could not be used in this.

So you want to know how to heal more hit points per expended heal? The above suggestions seem pretty good; can't recall offhand what else may increase it.
Both fast healing and regeneration do increase one's natural healing rate; fast healing, especially, is considered natural healing.

Tanuki Tales
2010-10-20, 09:04 AM
So you want to know how to heal more hit points per expended heal? The above suggestions seem pretty good; can't recall offhand what else may increase it.
Both fast healing and regeneration do increase one's natural healing rate; fast healing, especially, is considered natural healing.

Fast Healing and Regeneration are more of how, for example, Wolverine or The Hulk heal.

For this exercise we're exploring how to maximize the way Spider-man or Luke Cage heals.

And so far it looks like the max rate is 4*HD+2*Con Mod.