PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] So my party just got reincarnated into a Unicorn, a Hydra, and an Owlbear......

Pika...
2010-10-17, 06:57 PM
My oh my.....

I used your Homebrewed threads' racial progressions and made a reincarnation table of my own.

Oh, and the drow rolled the fire elemental template...

How does a DM run this?

Can they ever enter a city again????

Nohwl
2010-10-17, 07:02 PM
they could attack a city. i guess that involves entering it.

VirOath
2010-10-17, 07:07 PM
Spells such as Disguise Self would work, and Alter Self should let the Hydra look like a Lizardman, the Owlbear look like any mammal they desired, double for the unicorn, though the unicorn likely would get a blessed treatment for walking into a town.

I'm not sure of the fire elemental template, but their disposition should allow them to be fine after the knee-jerk reaction most people will get. I don't see any frightful presence on the board so people aren't going to flee in mindless terror.

Really, it's now a challenge and work. Fun even :smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2010-10-17, 07:29 PM

I recommend trenchcoats, big hats, and a good disguise check :smallbiggrin:

PopcornMage
2010-10-17, 07:29 PM

Sure, with the rest of the Circus. I'm sure they'll get proper permits and everything.

I can just imagine the jokes...A drow, a unicorn, a hydra, and an owlbear walk into a bar, the bartender says...I DISBELIEVE! I DISBELIEVE!

Either you roll with it, or you just realize it's going to be fun for a bit, and work out a way to transition back to something more normal.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-17, 07:38 PM
My oh my.....

I used your Homebrewed threads' racial progressions and made a reincarnation table of my own.

Oh, and the drow rolled the fire elemental template...

How does a DM run this?

Sure, let the Fire Elemental and the Unicorn talk for the party. Bonus points if he gives the Unicorn pink ribbons and calls her Sparkles or Galaxy (real My Little pony names).

Crossblade
2010-10-17, 07:43 PM
My oh my.....

This is why the standard reincarnation table has normal races.

Also, who reincarnated the entire party? 4 players all reincarnated; Am I to guess you at least have 5+ players? Ya know... just checking.

chiasaur11
2010-10-17, 07:59 PM

Like Godzilla uses!

TurtleKing
2010-10-17, 08:01 PM
Only four in the party. Death is the one who reincarnated us. The hydra can also speak as well. Each head has a brain and its own personality. I have a centaur, valley girl, and the last is yet to be decided.
When the fourth head grows it insults everyone.
*Hydra speaking*

Pika...
2010-10-17, 08:03 PM
Oh yeah, and they randomly rolled genders.

The Hydra is female, so I allow it to Rage once per month.

VirOath
2010-10-17, 08:06 PM
Oh yeah, and they randomly rolled genders.

The Hydra is female, so I allow it to Rage once per month.

Only acceptable if that rage lasts for a week.

Psyren
2010-10-17, 08:07 PM

Also, who reincarnated the entire party? 4 players all reincarnated; Am I to guess you at least have 5+ players? Ya know... just checking.

I'm guessing an Archdruid with a sense of humor... or an elf/halfling nature deity or something.

TurtleKing
2010-10-17, 09:22 PM
The God of Death came by to reincarnate the four of us plus the companion.

Centaur -> Hydra
Ork -> Owlbear
Fire Elf -> Unicorn
Drow -> Venerable Fire Elemental (the venerable part applies in this case: DM ruling):smallconfused:
The Fire Elf's companion that is a Climbing Dog -> Corollax

This should be interesting to say the least.

The Pressman
2010-10-18, 12:24 AM
What does your table look like? The reincarnation one.

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 12:42 AM
My table has (most likely) all of the official racial progression races, and the homebrewed races from the Improved Monster Classes series from the Homebrew section. The DM however can't use my table due to some issues so he can only use the Savage Species and the homebrew ones. We use the racial progression list as a reincarnation list.

Some of the more powerful on the table include the Tarrasque, Aboleth, Anaxim, Pit Fiend, Balor, Angel, Angel of Decay, Phoenix, Hydra, and Werehydra.

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 10:00 AM
Sorry for the double post.

I am curious on how would the playgrounders roleplay those races.

So how would you roleplay the Hydra with each head having its own personality, and make sense of possibly roleplaying each head?

How do you roleplay a Unicorn rogue? A Owlbear Tinker? A Fire Elemental Ranger Cleric?

Parra
2010-10-18, 10:06 AM
How do you roleplay a Unicorn rogue?

Not sure how you would roleplay it, but I have some crazy mental images of a tumbling, wall-climbing, lockpicking Unicorn.

I suppose for roleplaying purposes you have to take into account that they each still think like their former selves. i.e. the Unicorn still thinks/acts as it did while it was a Fire Elf and tries to come to terms with its new 4-legged armless body

Ormagoden
2010-10-18, 10:35 AM
[3.5] So my party just got reincarnated into a Unicorn, a Hydra, and an Owlbear......

BEST CAMPAIGN EVER!

zyborg
2010-10-18, 10:45 AM
BEST CAMPAIGN EVER!

...I'd have to agree. That's just... epic. Rolling random races for the characters sounds like an awesome concept to start with, but having played as "regular" characters and turned into those? Awesome.

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 11:22 AM
Thank I agree. As I was making my list was thinking of what it be like to play Mr. Big T.:smallbiggrin: Well the Hydra is not so bad either.

Moriato
2010-10-18, 11:32 AM
Sounds to me like the only thing left to do in your campaign is find some way of increasing your size to gargantuan and rampage through a city until you're finally defeated by a group of equally large pow... mystic rangers wearing bright primary-colored cloaks in a spectacular, if mysteriously slo-mo, battle.

Another_Poet
2010-10-18, 11:34 AM
You should move into an old cave, set up some traps, and hoard magic items there. Nothing could possibly go wrong with this plan, and no monsters have ever tried it before.

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 11:35 AM
Ummm.....all of no.

Telonius
2010-10-18, 11:36 AM

It could totally work.
http://thedailysb.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/tmnt_raphael.jpg?w=151&h=180

Moriato
2010-10-18, 11:44 AM
Realistically, if this is supposed to be a serious (as opposed to silly) campaign, I'd scrap the whole idea. I really can't see any way that a serious campaign could survive this without becoming... well just silly. Better to retcon it away now than try to work through it and have drag the campaign down. If your campaign is already a silly one, well then enjoy!

Crossblade
2010-10-18, 11:54 AM
How many heads does the hydra have? Technically they are all different personalities as said before, or rather they would all be the centaur. And would they argue who was in charge?
If they're all the same personality, what qualifies on to be the lead head over the others? And in theory, a hydra could have different classes per head.

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 12:14 PM
........ Each head has her own personality. There are three heads (for now).
Personalities consist of Centaur, Valley Girl, and Primal. I am also now a female where I used to be male. For now I most likely will only be taking levels in Hydra and its prestige class to gain a breath weapons.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-18, 12:56 PM
Realistically, if this is supposed to be a serious (as opposed to silly) campaign, I'd scrap the whole idea. I really can't see any way that a serious campaign could survive this without becoming... well just silly. Better to retcon it away now than try to work through it and have drag the campaign down. If your campaign is already a silly one, well then enjoy!

This. Could be hilariously good fun for wacky hijinks, mostly centered on determining exactly HOW a hydra managed to do that acrobatics check, or how your unicorn plays the flute or what have you. However, it'll burn out quick.

Greenish
2010-10-18, 12:59 PM
It could totally work.
http://thedailysb.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/tmnt_raphael.jpg?w=151&h=180I see your TMNT and raise you… Transformers (robots in a disguise):
http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/5/5a/MarvelUK-230.jpg

PopcornMage
2010-10-18, 01:11 PM
How do you roleplay a Unicorn rogue? A Owlbear Tinker? A Fire Elemental Ranger Cleric?

For the first, bullrush stealth horn backstab.

Real life horses can do it and they don't even take levels in rogue!

For the other two, I don't know what you mean by Tinker, and I answered the other elsewhere.

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 01:19 PM
Yes I know. Drow did not actually become a fire elemental. He just has a fiery aura where he burns what ever he touches.

The Tinker is pulled from Warcraft d20. So basically the engineering profession as a class....:smallsmile:

As for the Hydra I have no arms and 2 short stubby legs to pull me around with.

Duke of URL
2010-10-18, 01:30 PM
...I'd have to agree. That's just... epic. Rolling random races for the characters sounds like an awesome concept to start with, but having played as "regular" characters and turned into those? Awesome.

I am so tempted now to start a game where everyone builds a standard character and then they get the surprise of being PAO'd or reincarnated as some other creature.

zyborg
2010-10-18, 01:48 PM
I am so tempted now to start a game where everyone builds a standard character and then they get the surprise of being PAO'd or reincarnated as some other creature.

I'd join! It would be a lot of fun, IMO.

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 02:29 PM
If I get Mr. Big T's racial progression...:smallbiggrin: The racial progression does help balance it out.

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 03:23 PM
Sorry again for the double post, but I just remembered some crucial info.

The Unicorn and Owlbear also have a level in binder. The (homebrewed) vestige grants a firearm, dwarven traits, and knowledge and competence for siege engines. The vestige's sign is a bright orange dwarven beard. So the Owlbear and Unicorn have a bright orange dwarven beard while bound to him. The Unicorn can use his horn as the firearm (gunblade).

Prime32
2010-10-18, 04:00 PM
The unicorn probably got the best deal. After all, who would suspect a unicorn? As a rogue they can probably bluff some NPC into thinking they're a servant of nature who needs blah blah blah.

Personalities consist of Centaur, Valley Girl, and Primal. I am also now a female where I used to be male. For now I most likely will only be taking levels in Hydra and its prestige class to gain a breath weapons.Next time your character dies, they should become a shapeshifter of some kind. :smalltongue:

"Whew, I'm glad I'm finally rid of those other heads."
*turns into a blonde elf* "Yeah, like totally."
*turns back* "DAMMIT!"

Coidzor
2010-10-18, 04:09 PM

Or at least races of the same TYPE as before.

Personalities consist of Centaur, Valley Girl, and Primal. I am also now a female where I used to be male. For now I most likely will only be taking levels in Hydra and its prestige class to gain a breath weapons.

And where'd the original personality go? I think you forgot something. :smalltongue:

Raimun
2010-10-18, 05:18 PM
Hey, I remember one of those jokes!

So, an Unicorn, a Hydra and an owlbear go to a bar. The bartender asks them right away... no, wait, it's the Unicorn that asks the bartender... something. ... So, after that it goes on with the Hydra starting to hit on a lady at the bar counter and... Oh! The owlbear has had a parrot with him the whole time. That's important because... wait, how did this go...?

Anyway, it was really funny.

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 05:27 PM
The Centaur is the original personality since I used to be a Centaur.

The part about still retaining those other personalities is scary. I have played a Multiple Personality Disorder character before with just 5 personalities where only 1 is visible at a time. Now I can easily have more than that, and they are all out in the open.

I wonder if I bite someone there is a chance they become a Werehydra....:smallbiggrin: (its on the racial progression list in the Homebrew Forums)

Prime32
2010-10-18, 05:42 PM
I wonder if I bite someone there is a chance they become a Werehydra....:smallbiggrin: (its on the racial progression list in the Homebrew Forums)If you're going that way... have a human bite the party. Problem solved. :smalltongue:

PopcornMage
2010-10-18, 06:00 PM
Yes I know. Drow did not actually become a fire elemental. He just has a fiery aura where he burns what ever he touches.

Still works for ranger and cleric, depending on religion.

The Tinker is pulled from Warcraft d20. So basically the engineering profession as a class....:smallsmile:

Find somebody with a Balance Druid engineer then.

As for the Hydra I have no arms and 2 short stubby legs to pull me around with.

I think you're fine with the multiple personalities already mentioned.

Coidzor
2010-10-18, 08:45 PM
Um, what? No. Not unless you're somehow deformed. Hydra have 4 legs.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG156.jpg

And are Huge creatures, so... Short and stubby, not so much.

The Hydra player should consider looking up Mouth-pick Weaponry from Lords of Madness if it looks like he'll be staying that way for awhile.

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 08:59 PM
I am taking the racial progression levels for being a hydra. Thanks for mentioning the mouth picks I'll take a look at them.