PDA

View Full Version : DR 20 by 6th level

Saveducks
2010-10-17, 09:20 PM
So I made a bet with a friend that it is possible to get 20 or more DR by 6th level (gestalt) can you guys help me out.

Jack_Simth
2010-10-17, 09:22 PM
So I made a bet with a friend that it is possible to get 20 or more DR by 6th level (gestalt) can you guys help me out.
Well, technically, Pun-Pun can be done by that point, and that could make it work.... but that's probably more cheese than you'd like.

Lhurgyof
2010-10-17, 09:22 PM

toughness, roll with it 10 times?

Play an expert and warrior (generic classes) dwarf.

Jack_Simth
2010-10-17, 09:28 PM
toughness, roll with it 10 times?

Play an expert and warrior (generic classes) dwarf.

You need 11 feats to do that.

Character-1
Character-3
Character-6
Warrior-1
Warrior-2
Warrior-4
Warrior-6
Expert-1
Expert-2
Expert-4

You'll need a Flaw. But technically doable, if you don't mind 3.0 material (Savage Species). Huh.

Crossblade
2010-10-17, 09:35 PM
Find an open vat of liquid Adamantine.
Build a platform/walk way above said vat.
Tie a rope around your waist & have some one, or multiple someones hold the other end of the rope while on the walkway/platform.
Jump into the vat.*
Have the people pull you out.
Keep jumping in** until there is an inch of adamantine covering you all over.***

You now have a coating that is hardness 20, with 40 hp.
....Hardness and DR are the same right?

*Note, this may cause deadly burns.
**The above mentioned deadly burns may result in the needed assistance to be re-administered to the liquid adamantine.
***Coating may block abilities to breath air.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-10-17, 09:38 PM
Is it based on level or ECL? If it's just based on level, then pick a race with DR 20+ and ignore the LA. If you're not up to being silly, you've got your work cut out for you. The issue is that DR doesn't stack, so even if you do get a ton of DR by level 6, if it's all from different sources, you're out of luck.

Zaq
2010-10-18, 03:45 AM
Hmmmm. I can get DR 12/magic pretty easily, and maybe we can go from there?

Go Incarnate on one side, and at least one level of Cleric on the other. Take the feats Divine Soultouch and Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, then shape the Astral Vanbraces from the Psionics of Incarnum web article (Mind's Eye archive on the WotC site), which give DR/magic equal to 2 + 2 per essentia. You can invest:

2 (base from character level)
1 (Expanded Soulmeld Capacity feat)
1 (Expanded Soulmeld Capacity class feature... totally different)
1 (Divine Soultouch feat... only lasts one round, but hey, it exists)
(There's an item that can boost this by one more step, but it's out of the price range of a level 6 character, barring wealth loops or similar shenanigans.)

Thereby giving yourself DR 12/magic whenever you burn a turn attempt, or DR 10/magic the rest of the time. Your challenge now is to find another source of DR that explicitly stacks, since they usually don't. Maybe Roll With It? The wording on that is kinda weird, but it might stack. If you can get enough feats to power this (difficult off the top of my head), that might work. Azurin would probably be a help here, though you might need to be a CON-boosting race to hit the 20 CON with no ambiguity. DR/magic is a pretty lame source of DR anyway, but that wasn't the question, now was it?

Mastikator
2010-10-18, 07:11 AM
A warforged warrior//expert 6 can get DR 19/-
level feats: adamantinium body (3/-), roll with it(+2), roll with it(+2)
warrior feats: toughness, roll with it(+2), roll with it(+2), roll with it(+2)
expert feats: roll with it(+2), roll with it(+2), roll with it(+2)

Baalthazaq
2010-10-18, 08:11 AM
Why does the warrior and expert get a feat?

Warforge
Artificer/Something else.
Take 1 flaw.
Fighter at level 1.
Toughness as the fighter feat. Human feat: Roll with it. Flaw feat: Roll with it.
Level feats: Roll with it, Roll with it, Roll with it. (+8 total).

Craft a potion of Ablative Armor. (Touched armor gains damage reduction 4+caster level).

Congratulations, you now have 10+8 = 18 damage reduction.... for one attack.

Now just need a way to get 1 more roll with it.

Lhurgyof
2010-10-18, 08:13 AM
Human
Artificer/Something else.
Take 1 flaw.
Fighter at level 1.
Toughness as the fighter feat. Human feat: Roll with it. Flaw feat: Roll with it.
Human feat: Roll with it.
Level feats: Roll with it, Roll with it, Roll with it. (+8 total).

Craft a potion of Ablative Armor. (Touched armor gains damage reduction 4+caster level).

Congratulations, you now have 10+10 = 20 damage reduction.... for one attack. A cheat on your bet, but you win non the less.

Roll with it method has already been done, and we've got it to a permanent 20 DR.

Baalthazaq
2010-10-18, 08:19 AM
Roll with it method has already been done, and we've got it to a permanent 20 DR.

Yeah I know, I edited it. I also asked why an expert/warrior is getting 6 more feats than I can see in the build?

Edited again: Gotcha, generic classes.

senrath
2010-10-18, 08:20 AM
They're using the Warrior and Expert Generic Classes, not the NPC classes.

Heliomance
2010-10-18, 08:57 AM
DCFS would let you get it higher...

Quietus
2010-10-18, 09:13 AM
Without resorting to race and/or generic classes :

Commoner1/Survivor5 (Savage Species)

Sixth level feat : Greater Resilience (Complete Warrior)

Survivor5 grants you DR of 5/-, Greater Resilience increases that to 6/-.

Alternatively, Mineral Warrior gets you DR 8/Adamantine for +1 LA.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-18, 09:19 AM
Eh, Warforged with Adamantine Body gets you DR 3 right off at level 1, regardless of class. Probably more practical of a starting point than commoner/survivor or LA...though 8DR for a single LA isn't actually that bad.

And clearly, I need to look up the Roll With It feat.

Godless_Paladin
2010-10-18, 09:20 AM
The major barrier here is simply that (with rare exceptions) DR doesn't stack, thus making high amounts of DR a dicey proposition for practical optimization.

If we're talking theoretical optimization, well, there's practically no point. After all, there's always Pazuzu.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-18, 09:40 AM
The major barrier here is simply that (with rare exceptions) DR doesn't stack, thus making high amounts of DR a dicey proposition for practical optimization.

If we're talking theoretical optimization, well, there's practically no point. After all, there's always Pazuzu.

Eh, anything involving the Sarrukk should be tossed out. After all, Pun-Pun, while a wonderful work of TO, isn't much fun as a solution. No challenge to it.

I need to look up the exact stacking of Roll With It. I know the adamantine body can be boosted at a ratio of 1 dr/feat, but that's pretty pricy unless flaws are remarkably common.

Lhurgyof
2010-10-18, 09:48 AM
Eh, anything involving the Sarrukk should be tossed out. After all, Pun-Pun, while a wonderful work of TO, isn't much fun as a solution. No challenge to it.

I need to look up the exact stacking of Roll With It. I know the adamantine body can be boosted at a ratio of 1 dr/feat, but that's pretty pricy unless flaws are remarkably common.

Thick-Skinned (also from Savage Species) increases it by two each time, up to twice the original ammount.

senrath
2010-10-18, 09:48 AM

The stacking of Roll With It states it stacks with any other DR you have.

Greenish
2010-10-18, 09:58 AM
A warforged warrior//expert 6 can get DR 19/-
level feats: adamantinium body (3/-), roll with it(+2), roll with it(+2)
warrior feats: toughness, roll with it(+2), roll with it(+2), roll with it(+2)
expert feats: roll with it(+2), roll with it(+2), roll with it(+2)Adamantine Body is DR 2/Adamantine. If Roll with It's DR/- stacks with DR/Adamantine, Mineral Warrior would probably be better with DR 8/Adamantine for +1 LA.

senrath
2010-10-18, 10:03 AM
Roll With It specifically states that the DR granted by it stacks with any other form of DR you might have. So, yes, it stacks with DR/Adamantine.

Just make sure you can hit the necessary 20 con.

Greenish
2010-10-18, 10:23 AM
Roll With It specifically states that the DR granted by it stacks with any other form of DR you might have. So, yes, it stacks with DR/Adamantine.

Just make sure you can hit the necessary 20 con.Well, Mineral Warrior for DR 8/Adamantine and +4 con ought to be a good start.

Level 1 mineral warrior human fighter with two flaws:
Toughness, Roll with It x4 = DR 16/Adamantine at ECL 2.

You buyout the LA, and by level 6 you'll have DR 20/Adamantine.

senrath
2010-10-18, 10:31 AM
Actually, you'll have DR 8/Adamantine and DR 12/- that stack.

Greenish
2010-10-18, 10:36 AM
Actually, you'll have DR 8/Adamantine and DR 12/- that stack.Well, yeah. So DR 20/Adamantine and DR 12/-.

Mongoose87
2010-10-18, 11:38 AM
If you take Leadership, you can get 20 guys with DR 1.

Crossblade
2010-10-18, 11:45 AM
I need some clearification. I though Toughness only gave +3hp.

Greenish
2010-10-18, 11:50 AM
I need some clearification. I though Toughness only gave +3hp.That's what it does. It's a prerequisite for picking "Roll with it" from Savage Species, though.

Reinboom
2010-10-18, 11:54 AM
I have two builds. Neither require any alternative rules except for Gestalt and Lemurs to Gold (:smalltongue:). :smallsmile:

First Build:
Wizard 6//Sorcerer 6

Requires 14 Int, 14 Cha, 18 Con from base. +2 Con from race.
Feat 1: Toughness

That's 10 casting of the heroics spell for Roll With It.

Ultimate magus can make this even easier.

Second Build:
Ok, fine, you want a permanent DR 20/—.

Starting with 13,000 lemurs, based on wealth by lemurs. 1 lemur = 1 gold.

Stony Plating (earth elemental skin graft, 2800 L.)
Tremor Graft (earth elemental legs graft, 6000 L.) (+1 DR/— that stacks)

Barbarian 1 = Berserker Strength (variant), +2 DR/— that stacks (3)
Fighter 2 = 2 Roll With It, +4 DR/— that stacks (11)
Psychic Warrior 2 = 2 Roll With It, +4 DR/— that stacks (7)
Anointed Knight 1 = Anoint Self, DR 3/— (14) (Requires 18 Cha, an item can help this with the extra lemurs we have)
//
Cleric 1, Must NOT get the War Domain, Domains used for Ordained Champion
Favored Soul 3, Weapon Focus required for Ordained Champion
Ordained Champion 1 = Combat Feats, exchange 2 domains for 2 Roll With It, +4 DR/— that stacks (18), +1 BAB required for Anointed Knight
1 extra level of whatever (probably favored soul by this point)

Feats
1: Toughness, Required for Roll With It
3: Ancestral Relic, Required for Anointed Knight
6: Roll With It (+2 DR/— that stacks) (20)

Race:
Any that starts with a +2 bonus to Con. Recommended that it does not come with a -2 penalty to Cha due to Anointed Knight, but may anyways.

(edit, changed to lemurs due to recommendation)

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-10-18, 12:11 PM
I'm sure I will regret asking, but... Why lemurs?

Eldariel
2010-10-18, 12:27 PM
@Rein: You could gain a bit more by taking Bear Totem Barbarian, which gains Toughness instead of Fast Movement on level 1. Though I don't think Roll With It would qualify as a Fighter Bonus Feat which makes things hard this side of DCS.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-18, 12:31 PM

I don't know, but any optimization that starts with "first, buy 13,000 lemurs" has GOT to be awesome.

Alleine
2010-10-18, 12:33 PM
The specific wording of Roll With it says it applies in addition to any other damage reduction you have from other sources. Make of that what you will.

Eldariel
2010-10-18, 12:50 PM
I don't know, but any optimization that starts with "first, buy 13,000 lemurs" has GOT to be awesome.

Well, they'd make sense as currency of the Hells, making DCS make more sense...oh wait, that's lemures (http://magiccards.info/scans/en/ts/141.jpg)...

Reinboom
2010-10-18, 01:06 PM
@Rein: You could gain a bit more by taking Bear Totem Barbarian, which gains Toughness instead of Fast Movement on level 1. Though I don't think Roll With It would qualify as a Fighter Bonus Feat which makes things hard this side of DCS.

Yeah, everyone else was using it as a fighter feat so I sort of just rolled with it. :smallwink:

Because...

WBL FTW
http://thevibe.socialvibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/picture-242.png
(Win By Lemurs For The Wealth)

Greenish
2010-10-18, 01:18 PM
Yeah, everyone else was using it as a fighter feat so I sort of just rolled with it. :smallwink:Not everyone. :smallamused:

Saveducks
2010-10-18, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the responses I won five bucks :smallsmile:

gallagher
2010-10-18, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the responses I won five bucks :smallsmile:

now you can go buy lemurs

Eldariel
2010-10-18, 09:31 PM
Yeah, everyone else was using it as a fighter feat so I sort of just rolled with it. :smallwink:

...real cute :smallcool: