PDA

View Full Version : New things to help non casters. (Looking for ideas too)

Pyre_Born
2010-10-18, 02:34 AM
I'm hoping to make this into a sister thread for http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172237.

I personally enjoy this take on the core feats, it helps the healing process start :smalltongue:

The other thread started by UserShadow7989 does a good job of improving upon established feats within core. However existing feats will only go so far.

What I'm proposing here is a place for original feats and class abilities to aid non casters. Another thing I'm thinking of is making a thread about Alternate or Bonus class features to further improve non casters, but that will wait a while.

So, first off, what would people be looking for feat wise to boost non casters. I know most non casting classes truly need at least a little something to work their way back into the spotlight. I've got some ideas, but I'm still not sure how to work them out

Secondly, if something might be too much for a feat, how about an alternate class feature, I'm thinking a list of class features might give some people some extra options to just plug into an existing class if they feel it's lacking. I'm gonna leave out class level, and what it replaces for now, just posting ideas, right now any and all help will be useful.

Third, Any thoughts on what people think classes need, special features that would fit with their class, or class features that need improvement.

Overall, I'm not trying to fix the system, I'm trying to give options that can plug in separately for anyone that wants to use them.

And let me say, I'm usually better at ideas than balance, so please don't PEACH too harshly :smallbiggrin: Nothing I put here is set in stone, I'm basically just working out the basic concept and going from their.

Peace,
Pyre

Pyre_Born
2010-10-19, 10:04 AM
Ideas

Spellsight
Prerequisites: Knowledge Arcana ?
You have an innate connection to the energy used in magical spells. Whether you were born with it, or spent your time training to focus on this, you can see the strands of energy weave themselves into spells.
Benefit: With a Spot check of DC 10 + Casters level, you can learn of a spell being cast within eyesight of yourself. If within 5 feet of the caster, the DC equals the Casters level. This effect even works when no discernible verbal or somatic actions are taken.

Note: I'm very iffy on this feat, while I like the idea, I'm not good at balancing feats at all. So any help for balance, or ideas on improvement would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,
Pyre

Pyre_Born
2010-10-19, 10:08 AM
Alternate Class Features

The Barbarian feature below was shaped after the Tattoo Warrior from Rifts

Barbarian

Tattooed Warrior (Su):

Level: 1st or 2nd, not sure yet

While focusing ancestral spirits through their tribal body art, the Barbarian can gain special abilities to assist in battle. A 1st level Barbarian has gained control over one of it's tattoos and gains another tattoo every two levels, to a maximum of ten tattoos. The Barbarian can also gains specific tattoos as it levels up that do not count against the number of allowed tattoos (however, they still count as when determining the duration and effects of other tattoos).

The Barbarian can choose their tattoos from the list below. Some tattoos have a minimum level requirement that must be met before choosing it. Unless the tattoos states that the effect is continuous, activation requires a move equivalent action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Any tattoo without a duration are in effect for 1 round per level.

The Barbarians "caster level" for spell like effects is equal to it's Barbarian level for all purposes.

Tattoos must be touched in order to activate, so a Barbarian that cannot move may not activate a tattoo. A tattoo that is covered also cannot be activated until it is uncovered enough to touch.

Any level requirement refers to Barbarian class levels.

Tattoos

Bamboo: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian may add the number of tattoos as an enhancement bonus to his Constitution.

Bat: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian may add the number of tattoos as an enhancement bonus to his Dexterity.

Blood Rose: The Barbarian gains the ability to cure a character through touch, but cannot heal himself. Each day he may cure a total amount of hp equal to (Wis Bonus x Barbarian level). The Barbarian may divide the healing any way it chooses.

Blue Rose:
Minimum Level: 3rd
The Barbarian becomes immune to Detect Thoughts, Discern Lies, and any attempt to detect his alignment magically. Additionally, the Barbarian gains a +10 bonus on bluff checks.

Broken Chain: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian may add the number of tattoos as an enhancement bonus to Strength.

Butterfly: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian may add the number of tattoos as an enhancement bonus to Wisdom.

Chameleon: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian may use Alter Self to take on the appearance of any other humanoid he has encountered within the past 1 day/tattoo. The duration is 1 hour per level.

Crystal:
Minimum Level: 7th
The Barbarian gains spell resistance of 15+class level from his tattoo. The Barbarian may choose to allow a spell to affect him if desired.

Diamond: The Barbarian gains +2/special (see text) damage reduction per tattoo possessed. Treat this as a second DR in addition to the regular barbarian DR. A weapon with a magic bonus higher than the Barbarians Con bonus bypasses this.

Dice: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian can re-roll a single roll. The character must take the re-roll no matter the result.

Dolphin: The Barbarian gains a swim speed of 30 ft. and a +5 competence bonus on all swim checks. This effect lasts for one minute per tattoo.

Dragon: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian can breath fire. The flame targets one creature within 15 ft. and uses a standard action. The Barbarian must succeed on a ranged touch attack to affect the target. The Flame does 1d8 per tattoo possessed. This can be used once a round per class level.

Dragonfly: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian gains a Dodge bonus to AC equal to the number of tattoos possessed. This effect lasts for one round per level.

Falcon: The Barbarian gains immunity to fear (magical or otherwise). Allies within 10 ft. of the warrior gain a morale bonus to saving throws against fear effects equal to the Barbarians Cha bonus + number of tattoos.

Full Moon: Once a night for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian can gain a +2 on a single attack roll, saving throw, skill check, or ability check. This ability cannot be used during the day.

Lion: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian can smite a foe, gaining a +4 to their attack roll and damage equal to number of tattoos possessed. The Barbarian must declare the smite before making the attack. The Barbarian is exhausted as per rage after using this ability.

Monkey: The Barbarian gains a +1 competence bonus per tattoo possessed on all Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, and Tumble checks.

Ocean:
Minimum Level: 9th
The Barbarian need never eat, drink, or sleep. Continuous duration.

Pine Tree: The Barbarian gains the ability to remain conscious into negative hp.

Raven:
Minimum Level: 7th
This tattoo permits the Barbarian to speak and understand all languages, as per the Tongues spell for 1 minute per tattoo.

Red rose:
The Barbarian can heal it's own HP, up to twice it's own level each day.

Scorpion: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian can force an opponent attacking it to use it's lowest ability score modifier in place of Strength or Dexterity when making attack and damage rolls.

Snake:
The barbarians touch delivers a contact poison. The Save DC for this poison is 10 + Barbarian Level + Con Mod. The initial and secondary damage is 1 point of temporary Constitution damage. The Barbarian can choose whether or not the touch delivers poison.

Spider: The Barbarian gains a climb speed of 30 ft. and a +5 competence bonus on all climb checks. The duration of this ability is one minute per tattoo.

Sun: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian can gain a +2 luck bonus on a single attack roll, saving throw, skill check, or ability check. This ability can only be used in sunlight.

Third Eye: The Barbarian gains darkvision to a range of 20 ft. for every tattoo possessed. The Barbarian can also use See Invisibility once per day.

Tiger: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian can fight unarmed with a +1 to attack, and +1d6 damage on a successful attack. This ability lasts one round per level, during which time the Barbarian is considered proficient with unarmed combat if not already.

Thorns:
Minimum Level: 5th
When the Barbarian gains this tattoo, he gains immunity to all non magical diseases. Upon gaining the next tattoo, the Barbarian gains immunity to all poisons. Next, the Barbarian no longer suffers ability penalties for aging, and cannot be magically aged. The Barbarian still gains bonuses, and still dies of old age.

Tortoise: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian can use his level as ranks in a skill he does not possess for one skill check, even a skill that is exclusive to another class.

Wasp: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian can use Haste on himself. This effect lasts for 1 round per class level.

White Rose: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian may add the number of tattoos as an enhancement bonus to Charisma.

Winged Feet: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian can double his base land speed. This effect lasts for 1 minute per level.

Wings: Once per day for every tattoo possessed, the Barbarian may cast Fly on himself.

Fighter

Veteran (Ex):

Notes: not sure what level this would be for, but thinking Fighter. This would be used (1/2 fighter level + Int?)/day. And not used more than once around. Also thinking that you'd have to choose which ability you can use each encounter?

• Re-roll a failed saving throw when in melee combat.
• Re-roll an attack roll or critical confirmation roll.
• Gain benefits of a Fighter feat the Fighter doesn't know for one round. The Fighter must meets its prerequisites and must have seen the feat being used or benefited from (DM's call) to benefit from it.

Monk

Enlightened Focus (Su:)
At 2nd level, A Monk can spend standard action while standing firmly on both legs spread to accumulate chi in it's. While being powered up, A Monk gains Energy Resistance 2 against all five types of energy. Unspent chi leaves the Monk's body after 1 minute. When the power-up ends, a Monk must make Concentration check (DC 10 + 1 for every previous power up she performed that day) or be exhausted. Exhausted Monks cannot power up.
*Note* What would be a good scale for increasing resistance over time?

Impossible Strain (Su): At xth level, a Monk? can add a +4 morale bonus on any ability score for 1 minute. It can use this ability a number of times per day equal to it's Con Modifier?.

Ideas
Thinking of a class feature for Fighter to make full attack a Standard Action instead of Full Round?

Also thinking of a action for martial characters to more easily mess with casting. Another thought is an ability for Monks Unarmed Strike to disrupt casting for a few rounds?

Peace,
Pyre

Milskidasith
2010-10-19, 10:16 AM
So... what is there to comment on ATM? We've got a single ACF that gives four abilities and doesn't sacrifice anything, and... what else?

I'm just not sure what to say about this, besides that Foil is nutty powerful.

EDIT: While posting, monks get the ability to... (potentially) exhaust themselves in order to gain energy resistance 2. That's not useful at all.

Pyre_Born
2010-10-19, 10:22 AM
So... what is there to comment on ATM? We've got a single ACF that gives four abilities and doesn't sacrifice anything, and... what else?

I'm just not sure what to say about this, besides that Foil is nutty powerful.

EDIT: While posting, monks get the ability to... (potentially) exhaust themselves in order to gain energy resistance 2. That's not useful at all.

You're right, their isn't much to comment on atm, I started the thread thinking I had more time to post things.

Right now everything is just ideas, the Fighter feature was something from an old campaign my group had, and yes it was powerful, right now I'm just trying to get ideas on what people want to see, and criticism on anything I get posted. As for replacing anything, that's the part that i'm gonna need help on if anyone is good with that. Especially for fighter abilities...not sure what to take away from them.

For the monk ability, would scaling it through levels help it, and for an alternate feature I'm not sure what it would replace

Peace,
Pyre

Pyre_Born
2010-10-19, 12:34 PM
Barbarian Tattoo feature is up which I desperately need ideas on, it was based on the Tattoo Warrior from Rifts and I'm trying to think of more tattoo choices, and balancing everything.

Peace,
Pyre