PDA

View Full Version : A friendly duel between players

AustontheGreat1
2010-10-18, 05:08 AM
A couple of friends of mine are having a friendly duel and I am having trouple predicting the results. Out of curiosity, can a wizard 40 beat a Cleric 20/Druid 20 with divine rank 0 and permanent emanation (antimagic field). Keep in mind that the Cleric-Druid has divine rank and his magic is therefore unaffected by this.

This might be stupid question but I just wanted to hear how it could be done because it seems like the wizard might be out of luck; but then I have trouble believing that a wizard can just be checkmated like that.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-18, 05:09 AM
the wizard is out of luck unless he has magic that applies in AM-fields (i think epic-spells do)

FelixG
2010-10-18, 05:14 AM
He could easily disjunct the AMF

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesdisjunction.htm

Then just go to town on the cleric kiddo

he has a 40% chance of taking out the AMF, prepare it a few times or even buy an item of it.

Zap em twice (assuming this takes down their AMF) then slam them once more with it to nail their magic items and their buffs.

Dont know if divine rank 0 prevents this, he could also use time stop then position a portable hole next to the character then position a bag of holding over it before time stop wears off and blast him out of existence?

Also a cheese thing to do as well could be an explosive runes bomb after the AMF is down

Myth
2010-10-18, 05:36 AM
Sure he can. As the others said, Disjunciton can work. Barring Epic Spells, the lvl 40 Wizard still has a way higher caster level. Assuming moderate gear, he can gate and control 90HD creatures. The good ol' extended maximized Timestop + Gate spam will net in a friggin' horde of 90 HD creatures with assorted abilities.

Also being level 40 means that he gets very high level slots for metamagicked spells. My money is on the Wizard.

DR0 grants some immunities to energy, petrification, energy drain etc. some fire resistance, DR etc. but thankfully no SDAs.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-18, 05:43 AM
how did a cleric achieve demi-godhood anyway?

Eloel
2010-10-18, 05:47 AM

Worships an ideal for which there's no god?

Morph Bark
2010-10-18, 06:53 AM

He created temples for people to worship him and what he stands for while there weren't any popular gods for those concepts yet in those areas. Get yourself a million followers or so, while you set up some kind of power or immortality loop, etcetera etcetera...

AustontheGreat1
2010-10-18, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the information. I honestly didn't know what to expect. Knowing what I now know, the wizard has much more of a chance. I didn't think about some of those things. Unfortunately, the smart money would still be on the cleric-druid because the Wizard' player is sort of new to the game and more than that he's...well, to put it bluntly, he's an idiot. The Cleric-Druid is an infamous munchkin in our group.

jiriku
2010-10-18, 09:30 AM
Yup. Win for the cleric-druid then. At supra-epic levels, the game isn't really about spells and abilities any more. It's about out-thinking your opponent and doing something he didn't anticipate. A clever player who knows the rules has a TREMENDOUS advantage over a less creative thinker who doesn't fully understand what he or his opponent is capable of.

Murdim
2010-10-18, 09:49 AM
Actually, he's a rank 0 quasideity/hero deity, not a demigod. As such, he does not depend on worship but doesn't benefit from it either, and cannot grant spells to his followers. And it seems to be actually pretty easy for a high-epic-level cleric to achieve godhood ; in deity-heavy settings like Greyhawk and FR, being sponsored by your patron deity is one of the most common way of ascending to either quasideity status or full-blown godhood.

FelixG
2010-10-18, 09:53 AM
Actually, he's a rank 0 quasideity/hero deity, not a demigod. As such, he does not depend on worship but doesn't benefit from it either, and cannot grant spells to his followers. And it seems to be actually pretty easy for a high-epic-level cleric to achieve godhood ; in deity-heavy settings like Greyhawk and FR, being sponsored by your patron deity is one of the most common way of ascending to either quasideity status or full-blown godhood.

Which raises the question of why the Lord of Blades has no divine ranks but is still able to grant spells and powers to his followers and clerics :smallannoyed:

Greenish
2010-10-18, 10:01 AM
Which raises the question of why the Lord of Blades has no divine ranks but is still able to grant spells and powers to his followers and clerics :smallannoyed:Because in Eberron, no one knows for sure where the Divine Casters draw their power. Lord of Blades, for example, can't just suddenly stop "granting spells" to his clerics, perhaps because he wasn't the one granting them in the first place.