PDA

View Full Version : Keychain of Creation 5: Can't Hit 6 for a Century

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-18, 05:16 AM
So, fifth thread. We're on a roll here, it seems. Sure, we spent months meditating on the last two threads, but that doesn't stop our inevitable reach to Essence 10... and beyond!

First thread is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63555)
Second thread is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121860)
Third thread is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145846)
Fourth thread is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156744)
Comic is here. (http://keychain.patternspider.net/)
Comic's first page is here. (http://keychain.patternspider.net/archive/koc0001.html)

Also, we'd like to remind you that frequent peruse of these threads might allow you to hear the Whispers of the Neverborn. Tread carefully.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-18, 05:18 AM
Hooray for KoC. :smallsmile: Long may it continue!

Weimann
2010-10-18, 06:54 AM
Hooray for KoC. :smallsmile: Long may it continue!Hear, hear.

That's just awesome. I love how everyone (me included) just assumed the robbers were Terrestrial because their colours matched.

Even Misho and Marena seem to have taken their Exaltation for granted. I guess they just assume that if the world lets them get stopped by robbers, it'll be some robbers of conequence.

rocketpony
2010-10-18, 07:29 AM
Happy birfday Jukashi :D May you use it to get older and more beautiful!

It's okay Marena, sometimes I forget too :(
p.s. Jukashi you totally had me going, well done :D

Weimann
2010-10-18, 07:43 AM
Oh yeah and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jukashi.

Jokasti
2010-10-18, 08:07 AM
Happy birthday to Jukashi, may his hands never tire of pleasuring us.
You know what I mean.

Also! That guy must have been thinking "Screw the rules! I have green hair!"

Leliel
2010-10-18, 08:11 AM
Now what on earth could MINIONS get their mitts on to make them able to imitate dragon-blooded?

Or is it just the armor? :smallconfused:

The trait for Heroic Mortals is Henchmen...

And I suspect the two are certainly heroic, given how they're able to move with Jade Armor on.

On a side note, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JUKASHI!

golentan
2010-10-18, 09:58 AM
The trait for Heroic Mortals is Henchmen...

And I suspect the two are certainly heroic, given how they're able to move with Jade Armor on.

On a side note, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JUKASHI!

It was the powerbow that convinced me... It looked like a powerbow anyway.

Mando Knight
2010-10-18, 10:17 AM
Silly Marena. Green is a perfectly natural hair color. :smalltongue:

Morty
2010-10-18, 10:21 AM
Hm. I wonder what the penatly for impersonating a Dragon-Blooded in the Realm is. :smalltongue:
I also wonder how long have these guys been doing that. I suppose they might as well have been pretty succesful, because the real Dragon-Blooded are too busy with their civil war to bother and a mortal citizen's response to being demanded a toll from a Terrestial wouldn't be "prove you're a Dragon-Blood".

Sanguine
2010-10-18, 10:44 AM
Happy Birthday Jukashi!

Weimann
2010-10-18, 01:29 PM
What clicked it for me was the fact that one was named Meadow.

I mean, if you were a common mortal, you'd be names Tacat Ajara or something equally Blessed Ilse-sounding. Only Exalts have names like Ten Winds and Meadow and Furious Trout.

Of course, the robbers would know that too, wouldn't they? >.>

Lix Lorn
2010-10-18, 01:51 PM
What clicked it for me was the fact that one was named Meadow.

I mean, if you were a common mortal, you'd be names Tacat Ajara or something equally Blessed Ilse-sounding. Only Exalts have names like Ten Winds and Meadow and Furious Trout.

Of course, the robbers would know that too, wouldn't they? >.>
Thanks a lot, now I need to roleplay a Terrestrial. ♥

Gez
2010-10-18, 02:01 PM
So this "Chejop Kejak" fellow, from his name, he's a mortal, right? :smalltongue:

Jokasti
2010-10-18, 02:03 PM
So this "Chejop Kejak" fellow, from his name, he's a mortal, right?

Yes. Completely mortal.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-18, 02:06 PM
Who? Chejop Kejak? I know of no Chejop Kejak.

Incidentally, have you met the advisor of the Mouth of Peace? Such a sweet man!

Lix Lorn
2010-10-18, 02:09 PM
...I get twice as many of the jokes in KoC now I know some rules, but there's still so many going RIGHT over my head. XD

Recaiden
2010-10-18, 02:22 PM
Happy Birthday, Jukashi.

Nice, comic, too.

Leliel
2010-10-18, 02:32 PM
Who? Chejop Kejak? I know of no Chejop Kejak.

Incidentally, have you met the advisor of the Mouth of Peace? Such a sweet man!

Why yes, I have, and he is.

Weird though. Every time something goes right for him, he clasps his hands in front of his face and gives that spooky grin...

Rhyvurg
2010-10-19, 02:07 AM
Damn! I apparently forgot, but Ten in the new art style looks bad-ass!

Revlid
2010-10-19, 02:54 AM
Nice jab at the speculation there. :smallbiggrin:

And a happy belated birthday, Jukashi!

Gez
2010-10-19, 03:41 AM
Nice jab at the speculation there. :smallbiggrin:

Wait, if they're not Exalts, then they may be... Primordials! :smalleek:

Lix Lorn
2010-10-19, 04:59 AM
Wait, if they're not Exalts, then they may be... Primordials! :smalleek:
Don't be silly!
They are actually MISHO'S KIDS! The ones he thought the fair folk killed!

Morph Bark
2010-10-19, 08:58 AM
Don't be silly!
They are actually MISHO'S KIDS! The ones he thought the fair folk killed!

Nonono, you got it all wrong. They're descendants of Marena's lost child who ended up timetravelling to the past!

Lix Lorn
2010-10-19, 09:19 AM
:O
Marenas kids in the past WITH Misho's kid he thought died?!

Morph Bark
2010-10-19, 09:37 AM
:O
Marenas kids in the past WITH Misho's kid he thought died?!

And obviously at least one of them is a previous host of Secret's Exaltation!

Lix Lorn
2010-10-19, 09:40 AM
YES.
Just yes.

Gaius
2010-10-19, 02:49 PM
Gadzooks!

I can already hear the mournful, "nooooo my scheme" of the Jukashi.

kts2008
2010-10-19, 10:44 PM
officially making this wmg now: both of the bandits are going to exalt as terrestrials. and it will, some how, be Ten Wind's fault

Rockphed
2010-10-19, 11:37 PM
officially making this wmg now: both of the bandits are going to exalt as terrestrials. and it will, some how, be Ten Wind's fault

No, terrestrials is too obvious. They will exalt as Infernals.

Gaius
2010-10-19, 11:49 PM
To make both kts and Rockphed both technically (or at least functionally) correct: they both Exalt as Terrestrials, and then immediately agree to be Akuma. One or more people will afterward turn to glare at Ten and say, "Thanks," with an icy word balloon.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-20, 03:55 AM
Gadzooks!

I like that meme. I shall help force it. XD

Morph Bark
2010-10-20, 06:00 AM
Now that I think about it, while I know it's part of the whole naming thing Exalted has, for a good while I thought Ten Winds was just the Tenth of something, so I presumed at some point they'd come across a Two Winds and so on. :smalleek:

Coidzor
2010-10-20, 07:28 AM
Gadzooks!

So, wait, Jukashi is like the little brother version of Tzeentch?

Now that I think about it, while I know it's part of the whole naming thing Exalted has, for a good while I thought Ten Winds was just the Tenth of something, so I presumed at some point they'd come across a Two Winds and so on. :smalleek:

Me, I was left wondering what the last 2-6 directions were.

Jokasti
2010-10-20, 07:40 AM
So, wait, Jukashi is like the little brother version of Tzeentch?.

Wouldn't that be if he planned for us to guess that? I don't know much about W40K, but doesn't he say "Just as planned" or something?

Coidzor
2010-10-20, 08:19 AM
Wouldn't that be if he planned for us to guess that? I don't know much about W40K, but doesn't he say "Just as planned" or something?

So Nega-Tzeentch would be more appropriate then, you say?

Jokasti
2010-10-20, 08:23 AM
[QUOTE=Jokasti;9592205] I don't know much nothing about W40K, /QUOTE]

Sorry, this is more appropriate. I only know about Tzeentch cause one of my friends says "Just as planned" a lot and I asked him about it.
So, uh, yes?

Lix Lorn
2010-10-20, 08:33 AM
Tzeentch, but less successful.
And probably cuter. XD

Drascin
2010-10-20, 08:34 AM

Well, actually, the "Just As Planned" thing is a Death Note meme, but its relation to Tzeentch is weird. It's true that everything goes just as planned for Tzeentch, but a bit part of that is that Tzeentch plans for everything. I don't mean every eventuality that could screw his "master plan" - I mean he has a million plans going on at once. Many of his plans are in direct contradiction to his other plans, and he regularly boycotts his own plans for laughs and to see the despaired faces of his pawns. Tzeentch is the Lord of Change. Tzeentch doesn't always care much in which direction the Change goes - which many sorcerers find out entirely too late :smallwink:.

So yes, chances are Tzeentch would have planned for us guessing. But it wouldn't make much difference to him. Much like Jukashi probably doesn't mind much when we guess his plot points before he comc's them :smallbiggrin:.

rocketpony
2010-10-20, 09:38 AM

Too obvious!
They'll both exalt as Alchemicals somehow! (Nova alluded to other Alchemicals in Creation, it's not impossible that there's, like, a Soulsteel or Adamant hiding on the Island, trololo)

No wait even better
THEY'LL BECOME DRAGON KINGS

SOMEHOW.

horngeek
2010-10-20, 04:50 PM
Too obvious!
They'll both exalt as Alchemicals somehow! (Nova alluded to other Alchemicals in Creation, it's not impossible that there's, like, a Soulsteel or Adamant hiding on the Island, trololo)

No wait even better

SOMEHOW.

...okay, this is getting ridiculous. Of course, given how the author works, he'll pop in just to confirm them. :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2010-10-20, 04:58 PM
nooo his scheme!

Coidzor
2010-10-20, 05:33 PM
Too obvious!

No wait even better

SOMEHOW.

Nah, we'll have to wait for their blue-haired friend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipy1ZJQeUcs&feature=related)to show up for them to pierce the heavens like that.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-20, 05:38 PM
Going back to sanity, just for a change-they could be solars. Or lunars. It'd explain why they're pretending to be dragon-blooded...

horngeek
2010-10-20, 05:40 PM
Going back to sanity, just for a change-they could be solars. Or lunars. It'd explain why they're pretending to be dragon-blooded...

Except both of the above have even better things to do than banditry. Like run all the bandits in the Blessed Isle, or something. :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2010-10-20, 05:46 PM
How do you know they don't?

horngeek
2010-10-20, 06:03 PM
How do you know they don't?

But then, why would they be robbing mortals personally? :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2010-10-20, 06:06 PM
First rule of command: Never order your troops to do something you wouldn't do yourself. ;P

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 06:19 PM

The thrill of the kill?

Tavar
2010-10-20, 07:01 PM
First rule of command: Never order your troops to do something you wouldn't do yourself. ;P

Maybe they just have really low Mental Stats.

Coidzor
2010-10-20, 07:38 PM
The thrill of the kill?

Except, as shown, they weren't exactly eager to kill Misho and company.

A commander who leads by charging at the front of battle cannot give ANY orders as the battlefield changes.

Revlid
2010-10-20, 08:23 PM
New Ink Monkeys is up. (http://forums.white-wolf.com/cs/blogs/freelancers/archive/2010/10/20/ink-monkeys-vol-36-hell-s-chosen-part-ii.aspx)

No new SWLIHN Charms.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/Revlid/sadswlihn.jpg

I wonder when someone is going to reference the Dawn Solution with regards to Karen's effectiveness?

horngeek
2010-10-21, 01:02 AM
...holy crud.

Looking back through the comic, there's so much foreshadowing that Ten's secret was Sidereal-related.

Panel 4, and pay attention to what Marena is saying. (http://keychain.patternspider.net/archive/koc0183.html)

Lix Lorn
2010-10-21, 03:49 AM
Also... is that the guy who talked to Sidereal badass girl and persuaded her to say Just As Planned?

Coidzor
2010-10-21, 03:51 AM
Also... is that the guy who talked to Sidereal badass girl and persuaded her to say Just As Planned?

It would appear so, yes.

horngeek
2010-10-21, 04:03 AM
Heh. I remember having a minor freak-out when she pulled that.

Along the lines of "HOW IS SHE CHANNELING LIGHT? :smalleek::smalleek:"

Yes, I knew she was a Siddie, but she was meant to be blunt. :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2010-10-21, 04:09 AM
A Sidereal who DOESN'T channel Light is like... uh...
Simile fail. Let's just say there aren't any. XD

horngeek
2010-10-21, 04:13 AM
I so want to play a Chosen of Serenity in a game.

...I'd be playing her in the Exalted for newbies game (as the moar experienced player) but someone else is already going for a Siddie.

...that said, nothing says I can't do one as well... hmm.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-21, 04:28 AM
You still being a lunar in mine? (curious)

horngeek
2010-10-21, 04:34 AM
Yeah, I am. I'm tempted to go Siddie instead... but still Lunar.

...just need to type up the sheet for the thread, and get background down. I hate doing the former. Hatehatehate.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-21, 04:52 AM
Is hard work @_@

horngeek
2010-10-21, 05:01 AM
Yeah... actually, the idea would probably work better as a Chosen of Secrets.

Morph Bark
2010-10-21, 05:50 AM

Who says they're robbing mortals? :smallamused:

horngeek
2010-10-21, 05:57 AM
Who says they're robbing mortals? :smallamused:

They THOUGHT they were robbing mortals. :smalltongue:

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-10-21, 06:06 AM
They THOUGHT they were robbing mortals. :smalltongue:

Who says they THOUGHT they were robbing mortals? :smallamused:

Coidzor
2010-10-21, 06:10 AM
This is just getting silly.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-21, 06:12 AM
Who says they THOUGHT they were robbing mortals? :smallamused:

Horngeek does.

Well, that was amusingly simple.

Morph Bark
2010-10-21, 08:55 AM
Curiously, those "mortals" they may or may not have been thinking to be robbing are also thinking they are being robbed by robbers who aren't thought to be Dragon-blooded once Ten Winds pointed out that they aren't whereas previously they were thought to be Dragon-blooded robbers.

I think. :smallamused:

And therefore I am.

Lord Raziere
2010-10-21, 05:51 PM
Curiously, those "mortals" they may or may not have been thinking to be robbing are also thinking they are being robbed by robbers who aren't thought to be Dragon-blooded once Ten Winds pointed out that they aren't whereas previously they were thought to be Dragon-blooded robbers.

I think. :smallamused:

And therefore I am.

:smallconfused: .......What? Can you please simplify that for me please....

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-10-21, 05:56 PM

The robbers we thought were dragon-blooded (but weren't) thought they were going to rob (we think) what they thought were mortals (but weren't) who in turn also thought the robbers were dragon-blooded (like we did). :smalltongue:

Jokasti
2010-10-21, 05:57 PM

Cogito, ergo, sum.

Revlid
2010-10-21, 06:17 PM
Cogito, ergo, sum.Veni, vermini, vomui.

Morph Bark
2010-10-21, 06:27 PM
A horse for Even Human and a kingdom for Jokasti! (And cookies for all!)

Je pense donc je suis, ooh la la. ...wonder if Misho would get that, actually.

Rockphed
2010-10-21, 10:14 PM
Veni, vermini, vomui.

I came, there were rats, I puked?

Weimann
2010-10-22, 04:02 AM
New comic.

This is so coming back to bite them in their butts. When on the Blessed Isle, make like the Terrestrials.

If anything, they might question why an elder Immaculate Monk is taking orders from someone else.

Doran
2010-10-22, 06:40 AM
There aren't any memory erasure charms or spells in Exalted?

Gaius
2010-10-22, 06:52 AM
I agree this is a concern to them, but they can still explain things away. The bandts (hehe) only know the group has an Immaculate Monk with them. Misho spoke against killing the bandts before Ten relented, but it's possible to play that off as a suggestion and not an order. Sure, Misho and Marena can't use their peripheral Essence, but they're still social-focused Celestial Exalts: their relevant attributes and abilities are very high (to say nothing of small Charms from personal Essence, if needed). If there's no double-subversion waiting in the wings, I don't think the bandts are going anywhere without believing whatever the circle wants them to believe.

Also: adorable peeping Secret is adorable.

lord_khaine
2010-10-22, 07:59 AM
Really, what does the bandits know besides Ten being a DB?

The rest of the party has not done anything to reveal themself, and the truth, that a Imaculate master is traveling with a group of Anathema, is so insane noone would belive it without serious proof.

Jokasti
2010-10-22, 08:03 AM
There aren't any memory erasure charms or spells in Exalted?

Sidereals have a few, iirc. Plus, Arcane Fate. They won't be able to remember what Ten Winds looks like.

Tavar
2010-10-22, 08:57 AM
You could probably use some of the social fu ones creatively to get the desired effect. Especially the Solar ones.

Green Bean
2010-10-22, 11:34 AM
There's Theft of Memory, which I think is a Terrestrial level sorcery. And there's Memory Reweaving Discipline, which is a Solar Performance charm. Marena, Misho, Secret, or Ten could conceivably have the former, and Mish the latter.

Revlid
2010-10-22, 12:15 PM
I came, there were rats, I puked?I came, I got ratted, I threw up.

Ganurath
2010-10-22, 12:16 PM
So, anyone else think that Ten is going to sic Secret on them after the cart gets moving again?

golentan
2010-10-22, 12:30 PM
So, anyone else think that Ten is going to sic Secret on them after the cart gets moving again?

Well, she could probably use the blood.

I don't buy the commentary that jade armor would be the same weight as steel. different densities and all.

Recaiden
2010-10-22, 12:35 PM
I don't buy the commentary that jade armor would be the same weight as steel. different densities and all.

I can buy it. It might be a bit heavier than steel, but orichalcum and moonsilver, at least, shouldn't be too heavy, and this isn't starmetal or adamant they're dealing with. And soulsteel, I can't guess as to the weight of.

WalkingTarget
2010-10-22, 01:33 PM
I thought that artifact weapons and armor were mostly still steel anyway, just with various magical materials in an alloy.

I know that a lot of the weapons say they can't be used without at least partial attunement (if a Solar wants to use a Jade daikalve they can pay the base cost to get the lightening effect of attunement or double the motes to get the special Jade bonus). There isn't similar text in the main book when talking about armor. Is there an errata or mention in other books for how one should treat unattuned armor? Maybe it just acts like equivalent mundane armor?

golentan
2010-10-22, 01:49 PM
I thought that artifact weapons and armor were mostly still steel anyway, just with various magical materials in an alloy.

I know that a lot of the weapons say they can't be used without at least partial attunement (if a Solar wants to use a Jade daikalve they can pay the base cost to get the lightening effect of attunement or double the motes to get the special Jade bonus). There isn't similar text in the main book when talking about armor. Is there an errata or mention in other books for how one should treat unattuned armor? Maybe it just acts like equivalent mundane armor?

I always houseruled that it added -5 to the mobility penalty, and that that COULD make it so you couldn't move. I.E. takes your full exertion to walk (if doing a dash action), or you're stuck where you are if doing something else.

Edit: Or you're epic.

Coidzor
2010-10-22, 02:35 PM

Is exalted Jade, well.... jade?

lord_khaine
2010-10-22, 02:52 PM
Funny enough, real jade actualy have about ½ the density of steel, so normaly armor made of the stuff would be much lighter.

golentan
2010-10-22, 03:03 PM
Is exalted Jade, well.... jade?

It can be alloyed with metals, used as effective armor and weaponry, and has numerous other interesting properties, so I'm going to go with "no."

Coidzor
2010-10-22, 03:04 PM
Funny enough, real jade actualy have about ½ the density of steel, so normaly armor made of the stuff would be much lighter.

Metal is more dense than stone generally, after all.

and Jade hauberks are described as never tiring the wearer on the exalted wiki. Though I'm not sure if all jade hauberks are magical due to being made of a magical material or if they have to be enchanted in addition to being made of magical materials.

It can be alloyed with metals, used as effective armor and weaponry, and has numerous other interesting properties, so I'm going to go with "no."

I meant the pertinent physical ones, like weight.

...And something I didn't already know... :smallsigh:

golentan
2010-10-22, 03:09 PM
I meant the pertinent physical ones, like weight.

...And something I didn't already know... :smallsigh:

My point was more just that alloying is a metallic property, not a mineral one, implying jade to not be a mineral in exalted. Other properties seem to back that up, and I'd guess that weight is also changed as long as nothing else is the same anyway.

Also, the reason Jade hauberks don't tire the user is that its magical material bonus is that it removes the fatigue of wearing armor.

Coidzor
2010-10-22, 03:22 PM
So it removes the fatigue of wearing armor but doesn't counteract the weight being too much for mortals despite the weight being the source of fatigue? :smallconfused:

How delightfully screwy.

Recaiden
2010-10-22, 03:38 PM
So it removes the fatigue of wearing armor but doesn't counteract the weight being too much for mortals despite the weight being the source of fatigue? :smallconfused:

How delightfully screwy.

It only removes the fatigue if a Terrestrial is wearing it. Because they're elemental essence is attuned to the jade, or something. But Mortals can't do that, so it's just good armor for them, nah?

Gez
2010-10-22, 03:49 PM

On the other hand, you'd probably not have the same thickness. Metal can be fashioned in thin plates, flexible plates. Stone, not so much. It'd have to be much thicker to keep cohesion and not break at the slightest shock.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-22, 03:56 PM
In Creation, jade can be alloyed like a metal, but carved like a stone.

spectralphoenix
2010-10-22, 03:57 PM
I seem to remember that the books said somewhere that Creation's jade was not the same thing as real jade, but I can't remember where. Oadenol's Codex, maybe?

Weimann
2010-10-22, 04:18 PM
Really it stands to reason it's not the same thing as in reality. It's would be way to brittle to be forged at all, to begin with. Also that fact that it's magical should be a pretty clear hint that it's not what we call jade here on Earth.

Coidzor
2010-10-22, 04:33 PM
Really it stands to reason it's not the same thing as in reality. It's would be way to brittle to be forged at all, to begin with. Also that fact that it's magical should be a pretty clear hint that it's not what we call jade here on Earth.

Again, the only thing that really matters is its density/weight.

Surely they gave some figures for this somewhere?

Barefoot Monkey
2010-10-22, 06:47 PM
Magical metals are generally very dense. Orichalcum weighs more than gold. I can't imagine Jade alloy weighs more than regular steel though. A big part of the reason that magical materials are used is that they make it feasable to create HUGE weapons that are still actually useful in a fight. This is because objects made from magical materials (if made properly) can be attuned to the flow of the wielder's Essence, becoming spiritually an extension of the wielder's body. When attuned, carrying an artifact is almost as easy as carrying nothing at all.

Edit: attuned artifacts still have all their inertia though, so you will need to be strong to swing a goremaul and you will get fatigued from walking around in superheavy plate mail even if you are attuned to it.

Jade in Exalted is a stone, but can be ground into dust and used to create a metallic alloy, the same way that carbon is used with iron to make steel. Armour made from Jade has the special property that it doesn't cause any fatigue at all when attuned fully (Dragon-Blooded Essence resonates naturally Jade; other Exalted need to spend extra effort to harmonise their Essence with it).

In this case our mortals were wearing Jade breastplates. Breastplates are fairly small pieces of armour and don't cause fatigue anyway, so the fact that they couldn't attune to it did not cause them inconvenience.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-22, 07:22 PM
Heh. Nice punchline.

Also, I expect Misho will make a scarf out of the jade in the armors.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-22, 07:36 PM
Note: Mortals can attune to artifacts like jade armour. It just usually requires either esoteric methods or Enlightenment, and the first Exalt to come along will just take it from you and attune to it anyway, so usually there's no much point.

golentan
2010-10-23, 01:30 PM
Note: Mortals can attune to artifacts like jade armour. It just usually requires either esoteric methods or Enlightenment, and the first Exalt to come along will just take it from you and attune to it anyway, so usually there's no much point.

Aegis inset amulets or that meditation thing in scroll of heroes I think it is?

Aegis is easier, but does have that pesky side effect of dying twice as quickly. Course, given that you're the sort of person who is given aegis inset amulets, living to ripe old age is probably not a major concern anyway.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-23, 01:39 PM
There is the geomancy ritual that allows you to attune artifacts without knowing how to perceive Essence.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-23, 04:35 PM
There is the geomancy ritual that allows you to attune artifacts without knowing how to perceive Essence.

One day I'm going to make an Exalt that knows that ritual. Just for lulz.

rocketpony
2010-10-23, 09:55 PM

Just imagine.
You've trained your whole life to unlock the full powers of your ancestral sword. One day, you're just minding your own business, and this guy walks up to you, grabs the sword, and it does all its special magic tricks. He tucks it in his belt and walks away. You start to shout "Stop thief!" but then he turns around and suddenly you see a giant King Ghidorah writ in gold and flame blazing around him, and his eyes are like unto the sun.

In conclusion: still terrible to not be a PC in the Exalted setting.

Recaiden
2010-10-23, 09:59 PM
Just imagine.
You've trained your whole life to unlock the full powers of your ancestral sword. One day, you're just minding your own business, and this guy walks up to you, grabs the sword, and it does all its special magic tricks. He tucks it in his belt and walks away. You start to shout "Stop thief!" but then he turns around and suddenly you see a giant King Ghidorah writ in gold and flame blazing around him, and his eyes are like unto the sun.

Alternately...

You try to take it back, and your valor earns you a solar exaltation.
You try to take it back, and the solar beats you unconscious. A demon comes and gives you an infernal exaltation, the power to defeat the solar and reclaim your family's honor.
You try to take it back, and the solar kills you. You are offered an Abyssal exaltation, to take revenge on the unjust solar and the whole rotten world.
You try to take it back, and against all odds defeat the solar in combat, Exalting as a Lunar for your impossible skills.
This injustice at the hands of the Anathema inspires you to become a Heroic Mortal in the service of the Empire...
You try to take it back, and the solar kills you. Better luck next life.
You live a depressed mortal life, railing at the unfairness of the world. Better luck next life.

All pretty good options, actually. At the very least because of the reincarnation thing.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-23, 10:11 PM
Just imagine.

There is only one problem with this plan: you cannot attune to a weapon that is attuned to someone else (something to do with the Essence patterns), and attunement takes 20 minutes without special Charms. So, a Solar won't really get much use out of stealing an artifact weapon for at least a few days.

rocketpony
2010-10-23, 10:26 PM
Alternately...
<snip>
All pretty good options, actually. At the very least because of the reincarnation thing.

I mean, there's also
- Your soul is selected by Autochthon for being mad heroic and you get an Alchemical exaltation next time around.
- Your soul is eaten by Autochthon. Because that's what he does. Peace.
- You try to take it back, and the solar kills you. Your soul is held in permanent agony as it is forged into a sword to destroy the world.

In any event, the ways you cited to improve your state are mostly either exaltation or death, so I'm gonna revise my thesis to say that it's terrible to be a mortal in the Exalted setting :P

Recaiden
2010-10-23, 10:43 PM
I mean, there's also
- Your soul is selected by Autochthon for being mad heroic and you get an Alchemical exaltation next time around.
- Your soul is eaten by Autochthon. Because that's what he does. Peace.
- You try to take it back, and the solar kills you. Your soul is held in permanent agony as it is forged into a sword to destroy the world.

In any event, the ways you cited to improve your state are mostly either exaltation or death, so I'm gonna revise my thesis to say that it's terrible to be a mortal in the Exalted setting :P

Right. But he doesn't eat the whole thing. If they let the ghosts out, that'd be okay.
You win about the soulsteel thing.

But it's only some mortals who are so unlucky. It's not much worse than being a mortal in reality, now is it?

Coidzor
2010-10-24, 12:02 AM
Right. But he doesn't eat the whole thing. If they let the ghosts out, that'd be okay.
You win about the soulsteel thing.

But it's only some mortals who are so unlucky. It's not much worse than being a mortal in reality, now is it?

I dunno, offhand it seems like you'd have better chance of being born in a developed nation IRL than to have a decent life as a mortal in Creation.

Claudius Maximus
2010-10-24, 12:13 AM
It seems to me that being made into soulsteel would be *checks math* infinity times worse than being a mortal in reality. I'd say there is literally nothing in real life worse than that. So yeah.

Mewtarthio
2010-10-24, 12:56 AM
It seems to me that being made into soulsteel would be *checks math* infinity times worse than being a mortal in reality. I'd say there is literally nothing in real life worse than that. So yeah.

Are you sure about that? (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/15087-swchr)
Obvious joke is obvious. Pointlessly self-effacing white text is pointlessly self-effacing. And white. And oddly meta.

Coidzor
2010-10-24, 12:59 AM
Are we sure that the souls aren't forced to endlessly watch the Star Wars Christmas Special for all eternity as part of the whole being soulsteel?

Green Bean
2010-10-24, 06:17 AM
Honestly, the odds of an Exaltation for an individual mortal are so low that you can't really take them into account when you're looking at how good they have it. It's like saying "sure, you live and work in mind numbing poverty; but you might win the lottery!"

Kris Strife
2010-10-24, 10:25 AM
Are we sure that the souls aren't forced to endlessly watch the Star Wars Christmas Special for all eternity as part of the whole being soulsteel?

Am I the only person who liked that, even in a so bad its hilarious sort of way?

Coidzor
2010-10-24, 01:36 PM
If you liked more than the cartoon that introduced Boba Fett, probably.

Kris Strife
2010-10-24, 01:42 PM
If you liked more than the cartoon that introduced Boba Fett, probably.

I did. :smallbiggrin:

Though I think hearing about how bad it was before hand and watching it while reading the BMS strips helped.

The Glyphstone
2010-10-24, 02:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the Star Wars Christmas Special is only tolerable as part of a drinking game. Take a shot every time you see a Star Wars character on screen.

Kris Strife
2010-10-24, 02:36 PM
No, I was generally entertained by it.:smallredface:

Barefoot Monkey
2010-10-24, 05:04 PM
Alternately...
You try to take it back, and the solar kills you. You are offered an Abyssal exaltation, to take revenge on the unjust solar and the whole rotten world.

Nitpick: the solar leaves after mortally wounding you. If you die then you are no longer eligable to become Abyssal.

Recaiden
2010-10-24, 05:51 PM
Nitpick: the solar leaves after mortally wounding you. If you die then you are no longer eligable to become Abyssal.

You are correct. :smallsigh: :smalltongue:

Kris Strife
2010-10-24, 07:00 PM
You get an Infernal Exaltation and are healed of your wounds anyways. :smalltongue:

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-24, 07:04 PM
There is only one problem with this plan: you cannot attune to a weapon that is attuned to someone else (something to do with the Essence patterns), and attunement takes 20 minutes without special Charms. So, a Solar won't really get much use out of stealing an artifact weapon for at least a few days.

Doesn't that Geomancy ritual specifically say someone can just steal the attunement from you by committing the motes?

Honestly, the odds of an Exaltation for an individual mortal are so low that you can't really take them into account when you're looking at how good they have it. It's like saying "sure, you live and work in mind numbing poverty; but you might win the lottery!"

On the other hand, being around a Solar who spends Essence kinda screws with your Fate. Exalting after experiencing a Solar being a jackass to your ancestral sword makes perfect sense.

Green Bean
2010-10-24, 07:16 PM
On the other hand, being around a Solar who spends Essence kinda screws with your Fate. Exalting after experiencing a Solar being a jackass to your ancestral sword makes perfect sense.

That's not really how Fate works. Fate's more like causality than destiny.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-24, 07:32 PM

It's actually both.

horngeek
2010-10-24, 07:33 PM

However, high-Essence expenditures do increase Exaltations in the area, according to Scroll of Heroes.

Weimann
2010-10-25, 02:08 AM
New comic.

That was remarkably uneventful.

Jukashi
2010-10-25, 02:13 AM
I know!:smallfrown: It'll be better in the archives.

I hope.

Delusion
2010-10-25, 02:15 AM
I'll bet an obold that that character will be cheerier than Marena with new bouncing ball.

horngeek
2010-10-25, 02:36 AM
...I get the feeling Ten isn't as unique in being a surviving agent of the Siddies as he thinks. There's just something about the outfit that reminds me of his in his flashback.

Gez
2010-10-25, 02:56 AM
It's the smoke.

Also, previous page, little typo: sacrilegious; not sacriligious. :smallsmile:

Xelloss
2010-10-25, 06:05 AM
It's actually both.
No. Destiny =/= Fate.

However, high-Essence expenditures do increase Exaltations in the area, according to Scroll of Heroes.
The appropriate answer to that is "LOL Scroll of Heroes".

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-25, 06:19 AM
No. Destiny =/= Fate.

The department of Heaven that controls Fate is called the Bureau of Destiny.

Sidereals can use astrology to manipulate Fate to create effects called Destinies.

People with the Destiny background can be seen in the Loom of Fate.

Hell, the point where people die can be seen in the Loom of Fate.

In fact, the points at which people meet can be determined by their threads in the Loom of Fate crossing.

Yes, Fate is totally not Destiny. :smallsigh:

horngeek
2010-10-25, 06:21 AM
The appropriate answer to that is "LOL Scroll of Heroes".

:smallannoyed:

I happen to like a great deal of the stuff in there, even if I do recognise Flaws and Merits could have been handled a great deal better. Crafted Races, in particular. Also, that statement has not been contradicted in any other source.

In short: that attitude really annoys me, to be honest.

Weimann
2010-10-25, 06:37 AM
Hm, it sounds not entirely intuitive for me, but neither does it trigger and instinctive warning bells. I'd have to read it to be sure, but the biggest problem I have is that a "high Essence expenditure" usually is instantaneous and leaves no radiation behind. I wonder how it could have lasting effects.

Also, doesn't Scroll of Heroes give God-Blooded and similar an Essence pool without having to take the Awakened Essence mutation? That's not how it goes, generally (but maybe it should).

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-25, 06:41 AM
High Essence expenditure screws up the Loom of Fate something fierce - especially Celestial-level Essence expenditure.

The Loom of Fate controls the laws of physics, among other things. Celestial-level exalts routinely break the laws of physics, so things get screwy.

And God-blooded (and similar) are meant to have Essence pools - they're not mortal.

Weimann
2010-10-25, 06:48 AM
Really? I made such a character once and everyone on the official board said "no, you need the mutation". Guess it's different strokes :smallconfused:

Leliel
2010-10-25, 07:32 AM
The Loom of Fate controls the laws of physics, among other things. Celestial-level exalts routinely break the laws of physics, so things get screwy.

It would catch these things, were it not for the fact that the pattern spiders rigged it to shut off in cases of sufficient awesome.

Helps with the boredom of knitting for all eternity.

Drascin
2010-10-25, 08:39 AM
It would catch these things, were it not for the fact that the pattern spiders rigged it to shut off in cases of sufficient awesome.

Helps with the boredom of knitting for all eternity.

Heh. For some reason, I really like the Pattern Spiders quite a lot. I think it's how sympathetic the job and its travails are. Plus spiders are cute, which helps.

You know, I'm noticing that pretty much all my favorite things in this setting were made by Autochthon. Coincidence?

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-25, 08:46 AM
Heh. For some reason, I really like the Pattern Spiders quite a lot. I think it's how sympathetic the job and its travails are. Plus spiders are cute, which helps.

You know, I'm noticing that pretty much all my favorite things in this setting were made by Autochthon. Coincidence?

Well, the titular Exalted, Jadeborn and Pattern Spiders. I think that's the sum of what things created by Autochthon.

golentan
2010-10-25, 09:01 AM

That's because he's the single coolest being in the setting. He's the only relatively sane high essence being who isn't a drooling Xbox addict, has compassion, and has overcome tremendous personal difficulties to stick it to the world and shape it in his own image.

And he did. The setting would not exist if not for him, and he's arguably contributed more to it than any other gods or primordials you might care to mention.

I did like in today's comic. "Have we gone far enough?" *thinks of ten* *implicit no, no we have not.*

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-25, 09:20 AM
That's because he's the single coolest being in the setting. He's the only relatively sane high essence being who isn't a drooling Xbox addict, has compassion, and has overcome tremendous personal difficulties to stick it to the world and shape it in his own image.

He is also a psychopath whose aim was to maim and murder his cousins for breaking his toys and making fun of his sickness and created sapient weapons of mass deicide to help him, and a sociopath who collected humans away from their homes and told them nothing about how to live inside him without dying because he did not really consider humans would have difficulty without cities and food.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-25, 09:22 AM
He is also a psychopath whose aim was to maim and murder his cousins for breaking his toys and making fun of his sickness and created sapient weapons of mass deicide to help him, and a sociopath who collected humans away from their homes and told them nothing about how to live inside him without dying because he did not really consider humans would have difficulty without cities and food.

He also eats souls.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-25, 09:25 AM
He also eats souls.

Po souls, which don't really matter that much other than being a seat of mortal power. Nevertheless, by doing so, he is reducing the number of available mortal lives in Autochthonia, causing stillborn babies because they have no animating force.

rocketpony
2010-10-25, 11:06 AM
As long as we're ragging on Autochthon, I think it's implied somewhere that if he ever wakes up again, he's gonna bust the Seal of Eight Divinities and unmake Creation for spare parts.
Soooo.

As for the new guy! Smoking a cigar, grey hair... could he be Ten's BROTHER?
No that's not absurd enough.
An Alchemical duplicate of Ten, built by Nova to displace the original and infiltrate the party, and so to win Misho's heart upon her behalf?
THAT'S PROBABLY DEFINITELY IT.

Wait how do we know that it hasn't happened already?! :O :O :O

Gez
2010-10-25, 11:08 AM
So, the new guy is the real Ten Wind, and the one with the party is a robot clone?

Makes sense, but it needs more time-travel.

rocketpony
2010-10-25, 11:16 AM
So, the new guy is the real Ten Wind, and the one with the party is a robot clone?

Or is the new guy the second duplicate that Nova has dispatched because the first one has violated its programming... by falling in love! With Nemen Yi, no less! Just as planned, indeed!
Robo-Ten's new plan is to trick Misho into going totemic on the Island, which will surely draw the attentions of Sidereals, especially ones with an interest in the keys, and so he'll be able to confess his love for her! (I guess Robo-Ten is unable to use the channels real Ten used to contact the star-touched?) Robo-Ten-II has to reach them before this happens, and there's probably going to be an awesome alchemical-masquerading-as-terrestrial battle between them and boy oh boy oh boy.
The real Ten is still in Nova's lab, strung out on the finest Autochthonian liquors.

Morph Bark
2010-10-25, 11:18 AM

Also needs an evil twin constructing Robo-Ten.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-25, 11:19 AM
But you're missing the most important part!
The REAL Ten is in on it, because he wants to keep the circle on guard against any conceivable threat, even those so strange that no normal person could conceive of them! Like these ones!

Morph Bark
2010-10-25, 11:26 AM
Well, that would be in line with his character.

And considering we haven't seen a reveal of any straight-up clear BBEG for the story yet...

DUN DUN DUNNN!!

Lix Lorn
2010-10-25, 11:30 AM
YES. :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2010-10-25, 12:36 PM
My players are thrown for a loop every session with regards to encounters, they are thrown for even bigger loops plot-wise every other session. Can you tell? :smallbiggrin:

Recaiden
2010-10-25, 04:29 PM
How is it that only three of the stars moved in between panels? Is this some crazy Sidereal Magic thing?

Rhydeble
2010-10-25, 04:47 PM

Infernals is in fact so weird as to become obvious, They will actually exalt into penguins.

Kris Strife
2010-10-25, 08:35 PM
Infernals is in fact so weird as to become obvious, They will actually exalt into penguins.

Are they going to fight master criminal HP Lovecraft?

Gez
2010-10-26, 02:34 AM
YES. They definitely are.

Morph Bark
2010-10-26, 03:51 AM
Are they going to fight master criminal HP Lovecraft, Self-Proclaimed Elder God?

Fixed that for you. :smallwink:

Coidzor
2010-10-26, 03:53 AM
Wasn't he scared of flowers or something really mundane like that?

Man this is going to bug me all night now. x.x

Barefoot Monkey
2010-10-26, 04:00 AM
How is it that only three of the stars moved in between panels? Is this some crazy Sidereal Magic thing?

Well-spotted. That probably represents Sidereal Astrology in action. In fact, those "mortals" might have been Sidereals all along.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if Misho knows that Terrestrial Sorcery spell which forces a person to keep something secret.

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-10-26, 06:03 AM

Fish. It was fish, I think.

kamikasei
2010-10-26, 06:06 AM
Fish. It was fish, I think.
Fish, the ocean, New England, miscegnation, poor people, and old buildings. Well, less "old buildings" than "the fact that anything more than a century old exists at all, egads".

Rockphed
2010-10-26, 10:48 AM
Fish, the ocean, New England, miscegnation, poor people, and old buildings. Well, less "old buildings" than "the fact that anything more than a century old exists at all, egads".

So we just need an essence 6 fish lunar who fishes for crabs and lobster. There, fish, New England and something more than a century old.

Recaiden
2010-10-26, 10:55 AM
So we just need an essence 6 fish lunar who fishes for crabs and lobster. There, fish, New England and something more than a century old.

They also need to have no dots in Resources.

Kris Strife
2010-10-26, 11:33 AM

Although he was married briefly, and many years later his former wife was moved to state, peculiarly, that he was an "adequately excellent lover," it is clear from all available evidence that sexuality, procreation, and the human body itself were among the things that scared him the most.

He was also frightened of invertebrates, marine life in general, temperatures below freezing, fat people, people of other races, race-mixing, slums, percussion instruments, caves, cellars, old age, great expanses of time, monumental architecture, non-Euclidean geometry, deserts, oceans, rats, dogs, the New England countryside, New York City, fungi and molds, viscous substances, medical experiments, dreams, brittle textures, gelatinous textures, the color gray, plant life of diverse sorts, memory lapses, old books, heredity, mists, gases, whistling, whispering (http://kitabkhana.blogspot.com/2006/10/lovecrafts-phobias.html)

Also Penguins.

Mr.Bookworm
2010-10-26, 01:29 PM
And considering we haven't seen a reveal of any straight-up clear BBEG for the story yet...

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs30/f/2008/170/2/0/Exalted__Forsaken_Lion_by_chriss2d.jpg

I like how you forgot the single straightest example of a Big Bad Evil Guy in Exalted. :smalltongue:

Morph Bark
2010-10-26, 02:04 PM
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs30/f/2008/170/2/0/Exalted__Forsaken_Lion_by_chriss2d.jpg

I like how you forgot the single straightest example of a Big Bad Evil Guy in Exalted. :smalltongue:

I don't play Exalted.

Doesn't stop me from enjoying a nice story with fine characters.

Tavar
2010-10-26, 02:18 PM
I don't play Exalted.

Doesn't stop me from enjoying a nice story with fine characters.

But he's also a character in the story. Heck, his first mention is "and this is who we're going to go up against."

golentan
2010-10-26, 02:20 PM
But he's also a character in the story. Heck, his first mention is "and this is who we're going to go up against."

And his first actual appearance is "the badguys who are messing with you are terrified of him, and he's sending his armies out to ruin your life and steal all your cheese."

memnarch
2010-10-26, 02:58 PM
And here's a full portrait of him pretty much (http://keychain.patternspider.net/archive/koc0278.html).

Aquillion
2010-10-26, 05:18 PM
In 1e, the FaFL wasn't actually a BBEG. His thing was that he didn't care about Creation -- he wanted to rule the Underworld, and was punished by his Neverborn masters for showing no interest in the destroying the world whatsoever (because, uh, why would he want to destroy the world? What does he get out of it now that the Neverborn have already given him their toys? This is why you don't pay people in advance.)

The Mask of Winters was supposed to be the world-conquering one. But somehow, various writers mixed the two up, and in 2e the First and Forsaken Lion is just Mask of Winters 2.0 with scary armor and a bigger army.

The department of Heaven that controls Fate is called the Bureau of Destiny.

Sidereals can use astrology to manipulate Fate to create effects called Destinies.

People with the Destiny background can be seen in the Loom of Fate.

Hell, the point where people die can be seen in the Loom of Fate.

In fact, the points at which people meet can be determined by their threads in the Loom of Fate crossing.

Yes, Fate is totally not Destiny. :smallsigh:The way it works is this:

The Loom manipulates causality. It controls the present. It's like a computer that runs Exalted's physics. It doesn't have anything to do with the future; the future doesn't exist yet. However, you can determine the future by examining the thread of causality from the present.

More importantly, you can cheat by influencing causality. And the best way to influence causality is by setting long-term plans -- by writing little notes to the Pattern Spiders that say "when this happens, do this." That's Destiny.

A Sidereal looks at the loom and uses its complete picture of Exalted's laws of causality combined with its complete picture of its current state to make predictions about what will happen in the future. He sees (say) that the current state of causality leads to him getting beheaded by a Solar in a month -- that's Fate. So he writes a note to the Pattern Spiders, essentially hacking the laws of physics to say that when that Solar swings at him, he misses (or gets a target number reduction, but it's the same general idea).

But the Loom doesn't control the future directly. There isn't any past or future -- not in the sense that you can reach out and manipulate it -- there's only the present and causality. Since the Loom controls both for things within Fate, a Sidereal can read causality from the present to predict the future, then tweak the laws of physics to alter what they see... to an extent.

It might seem like a meaningless distinction, but it's important, because it both explains the rules of Sidereal Astrology and Sidereal charms in general, and explains how it's possible to defeat people who can theoretically read and alter the future. While the Loom governs causality, those rules aren't always obeyed -- in particular, sufficiently high essence expenditures can cause things to go off-track from the way causality would normally imply. The Loom says you get hit and die, Seven Shadows Evasions says you don't, SSE wins.

And, of course, since the Loom doesn't handle things outside of Fate, everything involving them can make your predictions fall apart. But at the same time, this doesn't make Sidereal Astrology useless, because even if you can't perfectly predict and change the future, it still amounts to the ability to hack the rules for things within Fate.

This is also why if you read the actual Sidereal Astrology rules, they don't make any mention of the future at all. That's not really how it works. Destiny isn't a single plan (although there may be someone's plan behind it), it's a bunch of conditional branch statements that the Sidereals (and the Bureau of Destiny as a whole) hacked into the Loom.

Tavar
2010-10-26, 05:23 PM
He's not a bbeg because of any of that though. It's because his goal is in direct contradiction to the heroes. He wants to get the keys(cause, hey, power. Plus, with all 5, he could probably end his curse/free himself from the neverborn), and the heroes want to make sure that he doesn't.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-26, 05:26 PM
Maybe the keys will open his armour, he'll emerge young and beautiful and aid the heroes against that accursed villainous Xanatos, Ten Winds?

...that would be so cool.

Aquillion
2010-10-26, 05:30 PM
He's not a bbeg because of any of that though. It's because his goal is in direct contradiction to the heroes. He wants to get the keys(cause, hey, power. Plus, with all 5, he could probably end his curse/free himself from the neverborn), and the heroes want to make sure that he doesn't....why not?

The only reason he wants to destroy the world is because the Neverborn are making him do it. Without his Neverborn masters riding him, he would be less dangerous, not more. He might still decide he wants to rule Creation, but at least he won't have the Neverborn trying to force him to kill it anymore.

golentan
2010-10-26, 05:57 PM
...why not?

The only reason he wants to destroy the world is because the Neverborn are making him do it. Without his Neverborn masters riding him, he would be less dangerous, not more. He might still decide he wants to rule Creation, but at least he won't have the Neverborn trying to force him to kill it anymore.

No, he'll just have all five keys, his unholy army, all his first age know-how and tech and one of the largest kingdoms in the multiverse ready to do whatever it is that the sort of twisted person a first age solar who is willing to sell out everything ever for his sick revenge would do if he had an unobstructed path.

I realize that's a twisted up sentence, but I think you get my point.

Weimann
2010-10-26, 06:10 PM
Maybe the keys will open his armour, he'll emerge young and beautiful and aid the heroes against that accursed villainous Xanatos, Ten Winds?

...that would be so cool.I think he wants to remove his armor so he can finally bonk Princess Magnificent.

That and end the constant, mind-tearing pain the armor makes him suffer every waking minute. And he doesn't sleep.

Jukashi
2010-10-26, 10:13 PM
destiny in Exalted

I hadn't actually thought about it that way before. Works well.

But, then, there's also Samsara, which apparently is actually a way to tell the future, that only the Maidens have access to? Only, samsara can also be trumped with enough essence.

Anyways, FaFL. I will say that in Keychain, he has motivations and plans different from most of those he has as described in the game.

Tavar
2010-10-26, 10:44 PM
Something I just thought about; has the fight for the throne turned into a full fledged civil war? I knew that the additional time couldn't have been good, but has it deteriorated to that point?

Coidzor
2010-10-27, 03:45 AM
Maybe he just wants to destroy the Gods' xbox so they have to get out of the house every once in awhile?

Morph Bark
2010-10-27, 08:07 AM
Maybe he just wants to destroy the Gods' xbox so they have to get out of the house every once in awhile?

So that is what Pandora's box did, huh?

Xelloss
2010-10-27, 05:02 PM
Only, samsara can also be trumped with enough essence.
IIRC, it can't. That's why Sacheverell must stay asleep, and why the Maidens only see Samasara with a distorted vision according to their domain.

horngeek
2010-10-29, 04:20 AM
New comic is up.

First: dun Dun DUN!!!!!!!

Second: Huh. Siddies.

Do eye colors stay the same in Resplendant Destinies? If so, we're looking at a Chosen of Secrets. Hmmmmm...

Yes, I've considered and discounted the possibility it's just a Terrestrial. He is either a member of or works for the Bronze Faction, due to the fact that he knows of Ten and is supporting the Realm, and unless Ten is very much mistaken in his beliefs, the guy can't be a former co-worker.

...unless, of course, the Terrestrial group Ten was a member of kept recruiting. >.< Okay, could still be a Terrestrial.

In which case, I maintain he's a Wood-Aspect due to his coloring choices.

So, my guesses; Greensid, or Wood-Aspect working for the Bronze Faction in the same way that Ten did.

Morph Bark
2010-10-29, 04:47 AM
Due to his not having grey or white hair and thus appearing young already, CUE THEORIES FOR BEING'S TEN'S SON/DAUGHTER/NEPHEW/NIECE.

/shot

Weimann
2010-10-29, 05:50 AM
"Gentlemen." I laughed. The cigarette is a great added touch. Given the eye colour, I would suspect this person is Chosen of Secrets.

WalkingTarget
2010-10-29, 07:57 AM
New comic is up.

First: dun Dun DUN!!!!!!!

Second: Huh. Siddies.

Do eye colors stay the same in Resplendant Destinies? If so, we're looking at a Chosen of Secrets. Hmmmmm...

Yes, I've considered and discounted the possibility it's just a Terrestrial. He is either a member of or works for the Bronze Faction, due to the fact that he knows of Ten and is supporting the Realm, and unless Ten is very much mistaken in his beliefs, the guy can't be a former co-worker.

...unless, of course, the Terrestrial group Ten was a member of kept recruiting. >.< Okay, could still be a Terrestrial.

In which case, I maintain he's a Wood-Aspect due to his coloring choices.

So, my guesses; Greensid, or Wood-Aspect working for the Bronze Faction in the same way that Ten did.

I thought it was pretty obviously a Sidereal (and Chosen of Secrets from the color scheme) based on the stars in the previous comic.

6 bright stars start close together, 2 steadily move away from the other 4 over the course of the comic. Since our favorite Abyssal wouldn't show up there anymore, this matches Meadow and Klen running away from team Misho. Furthermore, our Mysterious Figure (very Secretive, no?) is watching the stars.

At least, that's my interpretation.

edit - hmm... or I'm remembering things wrong. Do Abyssals remain outside of fate if they've been running around Creation for a long time? If not, then the lack of a 5th star for the group could be an indication that Ten is outside of fate (which would explain why Nemen Yi - and this new guy, presuming he's Sidereal - are surprised about him being there).

Leliel
2010-10-29, 08:02 AM
This is either a former compatriot of Ten's, a Chosen of Secrets, or Chejop Kejack.

Yes, I know those last two are redundant, but it could be one of Kejack's subordinates.

Though, if this is the Dying Mastermind himself, one has to wonder if he's looking for the Keys too...and why he's using mortals when the All-Seeing Eye would probably agree with desire to avoid a civil war.

horngeek
2010-10-29, 08:15 AM
I don't think it's going to be Chejop himself. Because if he's going to be against the protagonists next, this comic will come to a premature end.

DrakeRaids
2010-10-29, 08:26 AM
I smell Sidereals. Dirty, Dirty Sidereals.

Rimblah
2010-10-29, 09:48 AM
edit - hmm... or I'm remembering things wrong. Do Abyssals remain outside of fate if they've been running around Creation for a long time? If not, then the lack of a 5th star for the group could be an indication that Ten is outside of fate (which would explain why Nemen Yi - and this new guy, presuming he's Sidereal - are surprised about him being there).

Abyssals enter Fate after spending a while in Creation, unless they have learned Immortal Malevolence Enslavement. If Secret knows that, I will be totally floored, because that is one evil charm.

~~~

Fate & Samsara-

Not that it isn't perfectly reasonable to houserule Samsara into something Essence-defeatable, but the default is that Samsara's predictions are not something you can invalidate with any kind of magic. Rather oddly, the only thing Samsara is, by default, incapible of predicting is the actions of beings outside an ST's control.

(This creates the odd, sometimes-unwanted situation where an NPC could theoretically identify who the PCs are and get all disgustingly meta. That doesn't happen very often because the very few charms which use Samsara are hugely specific as to what the charm can and cannot foresee)

On the upside, this means that the Maidens actually take marching orders directly from the ST, who is not required to have any reason beyond 'I said so' for one to have done something, at least in regards to her purview.

I'm pretty sure they invented this specifically because fate-based prophecy is practically a synonym for 'Some Exalt wrecks it', and it's cool to be able to make an enigmatic prediction about the Yozis or whatever.

~~~

Mysterious Green Dude-

Clearly Misho's previous incarnation possessing Marena's child, who Exalted as an Oracle and was aged by magic. Now past-Misho seeks to stop present-Misho in order to defeat future-Misho, who is actually the First and Forgotten Lion.

~~~

Merela's name-

Sidereals stole it and keep it in a secret chest!

Lix Lorn
2010-10-29, 11:40 AM
Clearly Misho's previous incarnation possessing Marena's child, who Exalted as an Oracle and was aged by magic. Now past-Misho seeks to stop present-Misho in order to defeat future-Misho, who is actually the First and Forgotten Lion.
I support this bit.

Jukashi
2010-10-29, 11:51 AM
Clearly Misho's previous incarnation possessing Marena's child, who Exalted as an Oracle and was aged by magic. Now the fool seeks to return to the past, to undo the future that is The First And Forsaken Lion!

Fixed that for ya thar

Lix Lorn
2010-10-29, 11:52 AM
Fixed that for ya thar
Best audience interaction ever.

Raz_Fox
2010-10-29, 11:56 AM
Fixed that for ya thar

I cracked up, Jukashi.

Which got me to thinking. Jack is totally a Dawn Caste with an Artifact 5 Daiklaive, excellencies in everything, and Enemy 5 (Aku).

Morph Bark
2010-10-29, 12:11 PM
Best audience interaction ever.

+1 to that.

Xelloss
2010-10-30, 06:33 PM
to undo the future that is The First And Forsaken Lion!

Obviously the future is Ebon Dragon !

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5224/ebonakuavatar.png

Morph Bark
2010-10-31, 08:58 AM
Obviously the future is Ebon Dragon !

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5224/ebonakuavatar.png

That looks strangely familiar (http://www.purecraft.net/samuraijack.jpg)...

Rockbird
2010-10-31, 02:17 PM
What time is it?
Fanart time! (http://esradman.deviantart.com/art/Ten-Winds-184577649)

Rockphed
2010-10-31, 10:11 PM
What time is it?
Fanart time! (http://esradman.deviantart.com/art/Ten-Winds-184577649)

Needs more "JUSTICE!"

And, as regards to today's posting, what are they?

horngeek
2010-11-01, 04:03 AM
From left to right:

Marena: no idea
Karen: Again, no idea, though my mind goes to Rokugan for some reason. :smallconfused:
Misho: TENTH DOCTOR! :smallbiggrin:
Secret: Usopp from One Piece
Ten: Gandalf the Grey

Lix Lorn
2010-11-01, 04:12 AM
I only got Gandalf... how I missed Tennie I don't know. ._.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-01, 04:15 AM
You're not the only one...

Malek
2010-11-01, 04:25 AM
I might be wrong but that circle with three dots on Karen's kimono plus her hairstyle reminds me of Miyamoto Usagi from Usagi Yojimbo.

horngeek
2010-11-01, 04:25 AM
I get the feeling it's the hair color. Also, Tenth is a lot more... maniac... than Misho. :smalltongue:

Morph Bark
2010-11-01, 05:08 AM
Gandalf, Doctor Who... what? What is everyone talking about? :smallconfused:

If there is supposed to be a new comic, I ain't seeing it.

Weimann
2010-11-01, 05:38 AM
Without having read the thread:

Karen = Miyamoto Usagi from Usagi Yojimbo
Secret = Usopp from One Piece
Ten Winds = Gandalf the Grey from Lord of the Rings

I don't know Marena or Misho.

Also Misho looks really strange with that short hair :smallconfused:

Indon
2010-11-01, 08:51 AM
I don't think it's going to be Chejop himself. Because if he's going to be against the protagonists next, this comic will come to a premature end.

I think that depends on how much of his first age power Misho actually has preserved by the Blade of Vitality (which is on the isle) - and also depends on if he's actually hostile to Misho - who might have been a peer during the first age.

I've gotten the definitive vibe that Misho either facilitated, or was complicit in, the Usurpation - which means he knew people in heaven that he did favors for at the least.

Morty
2010-11-01, 10:08 AM
Well, I can definetly say I only recognized Ten as Gandalf(duh) and Misho as Dr. Who, although the latter was mostly an educated guess. I've never even head of the characters Marena, Karen and Secret are supposed to be dressed as.

Werewindlefr
2010-11-01, 01:50 PM
Secret = Usopp from One Piece

More accurately, Sogeking :p.

Xelloss
2010-11-01, 02:20 PM
Misho is brilliant !

Morph Bark
2010-11-01, 07:21 PM
Okay, finally, now I can see it.

Only ones that aren't instantly recognizeable are the pink-haired sisters. :smallconfused:

Revlid
2010-11-01, 07:51 PM
That looks strangely familiar (http://www.purecraft.net/samuraijack.jpg)...Thatsthejoke.jpg

Misho = Ten
Karen = Usagi Yojimbo
Ten = Gandalf
Secret = Sogeking
Marena = Non idee

BudgetDM
2010-11-01, 08:59 PM
Marena = Non idee

If I were to guess I'd say she was Kitsune for Usagi Yojimbo.

Lix Lorn
2010-11-02, 04:35 AM
Misho = Ten
Karen = Usagi Yojimbo
Ten = Gandalf
Secret = Sogeking
Marena = Non idee
You know how confusing that is, right? XD

Morph Bark
2010-11-02, 04:44 AM
Obviously Misho is Gandalf and Ten is Misho, who is Gandalf, therefore Ten is himself and Misho is Ten, therefore Misho is himself and Gandalf is white.

Obviously!

Lix Lorn
2010-11-02, 05:07 AM
Explains everything. XD

Raz_Fox
2010-11-02, 08:54 AM
Well, I missed Keychain due to noveling yesterday, but it's time to catch-

*realizes that Marena is Kitsune*

GEEKOUT

*realizes that Karen is Usagi*

FLAILING GEEKOUT

*realizes that Ten is Gandalf*

EPIC FLAILING GEEKOUT

*realizes that Misho is my Doctor*

MY GEEKOUT IS THE GEEKOUT THAT SHALL PIERCE THE HEAVENS

Lix Lorn
2010-11-02, 11:18 AM
YOUR doctor? FIGHT ME FOR HIM. <3

golentan
2010-11-02, 02:24 PM
YOUR doctor? FIGHT ME FOR HIM. <3

Now, now, children. No need to fi*Bazooka Sneak Attack!*

My doctor.

Lix Lorn
2010-11-02, 02:44 PM
(essence cannon flurry attack)
MINE. :smallmad:

Morph Bark
2010-11-02, 03:13 PM
MY GEEKOUT IS THE GEEKOUT THAT SHALL PIERCE THE HEAVENS

You make me wonder what the follow-up to this would have been if you had also known/been a fan of Usopp/Sogeking, which is whom Secret is dressed as.

Gez
2010-11-02, 03:27 PM
I guess 10 would be my Doctor as well, but I'm going to claim 1 instead. He's classier. :smalltongue:

horngeek
2010-11-02, 03:29 PM
(essence cannon flurry attack)
MINE. :smallmad:

Heavenly Guardian Defence! :smallamused::smallamused:

Lix Lorn
2010-11-02, 03:44 PM
Only blocks the FIRST attack. (grins)
...I think.

Justyn
2010-11-02, 04:06 PM
Only blocks the FIRST attack. (grins)
...I think.

(It has to be activated once per attack, but can be used as many times as you have the Esssence for, and as long as you the Flaw of Invulnerability isn't violated.)

Drascin
2010-11-02, 04:22 PM
*enters thread*
*sees massive fight over Misho*
*shrugs, grabs Karen while everyone is distracted, takes away*

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-02, 04:35 PM
*sneaks off with Secret*

Lix Lorn
2010-11-02, 04:48 PM
(It has to be activated once per attack, but can be used as many times as you have the Esssence for, and as long as you the Flaw of Invulnerability isn't violated.)
But isn't it one charm per action?

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-02, 04:50 PM

You can activate the same reflexive charm as many times as you like.

Drascin
2010-11-02, 04:51 PM

You can only use one Charm per action, but you can use a reflexive charm as many times as you want (or have opportunities to). So in a flurry, if you use your Excellency, you can use that same excellency to varied degrees to supplement any number of your flurried attacks individually.

horngeek
2010-11-02, 04:52 PM
*sneaks off with Karen*

Drascin
2010-11-02, 04:54 PM
*sneaks off with Karen*

Sorry, kind of late there, beat you to the punch. You might want to invest in more Wits Charms like I did, next time :smalltongue:.

Gez
2010-11-02, 04:56 PM
Karen and Secret are taken, huh?

*Sneaks off with Marena*

tonberrian
2010-11-02, 05:02 PM
*Uses Flawless Pickpocketing Technique*

*Steals all three pretty ladies*

Lord Raziere
2010-11-02, 05:58 PM
*Uses Flawless Pickpocketing Technique*

*Steals all three pretty ladies*

*Uses Sidereal Planning*

*You have fallen right into my trap, now they are all mine*

Morph Bark
2010-11-02, 06:00 PM
*demands to know how the story would work out if the characters they are dressed as had been in their place instead*

Lix Lorn
2010-11-02, 06:02 PM
(uses Crypt Bolts to necrotise your face)
(takes entire cast)

:3

The simple solution is generally the best.

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-02, 06:04 PM
GODSPEAR OF THE FIVE-METAL SHRIKE!

*destroys all Creation*

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-02, 06:05 PM
*Seven Shadows Evasion*

*dodges Creation exploding!*

Lix Lorn
2010-11-02, 06:08 PM
Heavenly Guardian Defence!
(BLOCKS Creation Exploding)

Lord Raziere
2010-11-02, 06:09 PM
*Just as Planned, is on Autocthonia*

*Brings out the real Karen, Secret and Marena, whom were replaced right before Lix took them with illusions*

Raz_Fox
2010-11-02, 06:14 PM
You make me wonder what the follow-up to this would have been if you had also known/been a fan of Usopp/Sogeking, which is whom Secret is dressed as.

GIGA!

GEEKOUT!!

BREAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

FYI "my" Doctor is a common turn of phrase that is used to indicate which Doctor you grew up with and cherished and cried for when he died all alone and heartbroken

AND NOW YOU KNOW

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-02, 06:17 PM
I never watched Doctor Who.

*Flickering Wisp Technique against the fans' backlash*

Lix Lorn
2010-11-02, 06:22 PM
(my Sidereal mate stole them back while you weren't looking)

Lord Raziere
2010-11-02, 06:28 PM
(my Sidereal mate stole them back while you weren't looking)

I planned for that, killed the sidereal, disguised myself as that sidereal, made you believe that I stole them back.

Lix Lorn
2010-11-02, 06:33 PM
I planned for that, killed the sidereal, disguised myself as that sidereal, made you believe that I stole them back.
We planned for that. You actually killed yourself from the past disguised as him.
(We take the charries as you vanish in a puff of logic)

horngeek
2010-11-02, 06:35 PM
*steals all the charries, and Lixie*

Lord Raziere
2010-11-02, 06:37 PM
We planned for that. You actually killed yourself from the past disguised as him.
(We take the charries as you vanish in a puff of logic)

I also planned for that, I am not actually me. I have made myself you, you are actually a fake you that I have convinced that you were you, which is me all along which was always my plan, and now you have given me all my ladies yourself right into my hands, you fake! :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2010-11-02, 06:38 PM
Sorry, Ninja always wins.
(happily kidnapped)
xP

Horngeek, we need an avatar. Cause you said you'd be my steed. xP

horngeek
2010-11-02, 06:41 PM
You'd have to ask Serpentine for that, since she did the Gold Dragon avvie. :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2010-11-02, 06:43 PM
* steals horngeek *

Now, now, why can't someone else ...yeah, we should at least ask Serpentine if we can use her Gold dragon avatar as a basis.