PDA

View Full Version : Fire Elemental Ranger Cleric?

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 08:32 AM
In the thread where Pika talks about the party being reincarnated the Drow Ranger Cleric is reincarnated into a Venerable Fire Elemental Ranger Cleric. The main reason for the venerable part is due to him serving Chronepsis that is a god of time. The fire elemental is from the Savage Species with its racial progression. So by being reincarnated most of the racial traits from Drow race were replaced with the fire elemental.

He feels he can no longer serve as ranger or cleric and survive for very long. Another problem is he is in the North with lots snow. Fire Elemental would take double damage from the snow.

So the I have two questions for the playground. The first is how can he possibly continue as a ranger or a cleric effectively while being a fire elemental. The second is how to get him out of the North with out taking damage from the snow or a weather.

GodGoblin
2010-10-18, 08:45 AM
Well the normal snow fall does 0 damage, so 2x0=0! Id rule it that it steams when it falls on him and may be a bit irritating but no damage should be dealt. As for the classes I dont know what the elemental is like ability wise but I think it would make a decent ranger. They have good dex right?

Quietus
2010-10-18, 08:54 AM
Well first off, I don't think fire elementals age - so being venerable is meaningless. If the problem is due to the stat changes, I'd have words with the DM over why he's taken my physical-focus character and, beyond the norm for Reincarnate, has arbitrarily wrecked the physical stats I need in order to be a functional character.

If the problem is hit dice/level adjustment, well, you're the one that accepted a Reincarnate. You knew you were in for wackiness when you took it.

And as to the snow, as pointed out, it doesn't do *anything*, damage-wise. I'd say being snowed on as a fire elemental would be similar to the feeling of a normal person having insects crawling on them - small points of constant irritation, but no damage.

GodGoblin
2010-10-18, 08:59 AM
So mbaye a -2 to concentration checks oor more depending on how heavy the snow fall is? Thats if you want to have a mechanical drawback

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 09:31 AM
Do to being Venerable he has a -3 to his physical stats. He gains right now only a +4 to Dex for now. So he lost the Drow's -2 to Con he has a 9 for Con. Otherwise he has a 7 Con, and all of his classes uses d8 HD. His Str is a below 10. The problem with his low Str is him not being able to deal as much damage, or even more important being able to hit.

As a cleric if he tries to heal he would also be burning who he tries to heal. The recommendation I gave is to get put his focus on a pole so he can use his focus to "touch" the person.

As a ranger he can't interact with animals again. This was made apparent when he tried to interact with some Dire Minks that were in cages.

In the group that we play in combat is not the sole focus. We instead focus more on roleplaying. So this brings up another question: how would you roleplay becoming 6,000 years older in a matter of moments by watching another life and becoming a fire elemental?

Edit: The Venerable part happened before he became a fire elemental.

Greenish
2010-10-18, 09:42 AM
Do to being Venerable he has a -3 to his physical stats.No, venerable is -6 to physical stats.

As a cleric if he tries to heal he would also be burning who he tries to heal.He's a fire elemental, can't he control if he wants to burn or just slightly singe the person he touch.

As a ranger he can't interact with animals again. This was made apparent when he tried to interact with some Dire Minks that were in cages.Of course he can. There's no penalty on Wild Empathy for being a fire elemental. :smalltongue:

senrath
2010-10-18, 09:42 AM
Venerable isn't a -3 to physical stats. It's a -6.

Edit: Ninja'd!

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 09:53 AM
As for the fire elemental part he can't turn it down (DM says no).

Animal part- animals are afraid of fire, and he is walking fire.

The purpose of this thread is to see if this character is still viable in a combat and in a social interaction. I have directed the player to this thread to try to get his character viable again.

Greenish
2010-10-18, 10:06 AM
Animal part- animals are afraid of fire, and he is walking fire.(Wild) Animals are also afraid of people, and he used to be walking people.

To know about his ability to contribute in combat, we'd need to know more. What level is he? What's hit build? What is he trying to do?

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 11:29 AM
He has 1 lvl of Fire Elemental, 1 lvl of Ranger, and 2 lvls of Cleric. As a cleric is mostly healing focused.

Hopefully he gets on soon and posts a more accurate view of his character.

GodGoblin
2010-10-18, 11:35 AM
Ouch thats almost beyond repair lol Can he wield weapons? because if worse comes to worse he could just pump cleric and hit'n'heal and the ranger BaB would of been useful so its not a complete waste

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 11:39 AM
Well looks like he is actually better than I thought. He switched bodies with another from a different dimension. This means his physical stats does not go down. So now the question is how does he pull off being a fire elemental.

Pika...
2010-10-18, 12:52 PM
Jeez.

Like I told the player, he is NOT a fire elemental. He simply is aflame (dealing appropriate damage), has immunity to fire, and is venerable age but due to in my cosmology Elves being ageless he merely became ancient so has only the mental stat changes. Basically he switched bodies with a version of himself from a parallel reality.

PopcornMage
2010-10-18, 01:01 PM
Maybe he's a ranger who believes in controlled burning?

Fire is a part of the cycle of life!

I don't know what kind of cleric he is, but heat is also used in a lot of healing.

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 01:28 PM
Fire does go with healing as in a purifing flame.

He serves Chronepsis that is a god of time and fate...:smallamused: He could be doing this to purify this broken world. Aka cleaning up after my characters.... I have broken the DM's world at least twice now, and the funniest part is I am not trying to break his world.:smallbiggrin:

The first time I broke his world by removing all humans from his world. The second time was unleashing the undead who use to be humans on the world.

I wonder what a primordial being that is very rarely seen on the world will do (me:smallbiggrin:)?

GodGoblin
2010-10-18, 01:30 PM
Jeez.

Like I told the player, he is NOT a fire elemental. He simply is aflame (dealing appropriate damage), has immunity to fire, and is venerable age but due to in my cosmology Elves being ageless he merely became ancient so has only the mental stat changes. Basically he switched bodies with a version of himself from a parallel reality.

Then where is the problem? if anything all thats happened is he has gained +6 to all mental stats. Not something to complain about! Oh and the fact hes now no fire, not that big of a deal really

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 01:33 PM
Actually it is only a +1 to mental stats, and he burns everything he touches. Basically a fire version of the Midas touch.

Greenish
2010-10-18, 01:33 PM
Then where is the problem? if anything all thats happened is he has gained +6 to all mental stats. Not something to complain about! Oh and the fact hes now no fire, not that big of a deal reallyVenerable is only +3 to mental stats.

GodGoblin
2010-10-18, 01:35 PM
Ah ok, well still nothing to turn your nose up at :smallsmile:

Greenish
2010-10-18, 01:40 PM
Actually it is only a +1 to mental stats, and he burns everything he touches. Basically a fire version of the Midas touch.Solution: lots of barbeque sauce.

For healing, someone else in the party can UMD wand of Lesser Vigor.

Psyren
2010-10-18, 01:58 PM
Jeez.
Basically he switched bodies with a version of himself from a parallel reality.

OHH that makes perfect sense. How could that confuse anyone? :smallwink:

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 02:28 PM
Knowing his gaming style, and having played in it not all that suprising.

The hydra has fast healing so I don't require healing.

Coidzor
2010-10-18, 03:38 PM
If he has enough Wisdom to be a cleric... and is a ranger without combat style and with a crappy Constitution and Strength... Switch to Archery focus.

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 03:41 PM
He does finesse his weapons that are drow based. So I think even his melee is based off of Dex.

Coidzor
2010-10-18, 03:47 PM
PHB II allowed? Because, honestly, really sounds like he should retrain weapon finesse if he has it and switch focii if he can manage to work archery without setting it all on fire.

...On the bright side to all of this, even if he's naked from burning off all of his clothes, the fire should be keeping him warm...

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 05:31 PM
Yes that is true. His clothes are fire resistant so he still has those.

The PHBII is allowed for my character used to be a Dragon Shaman.

Greenish
2010-10-18, 05:37 PM
He does finesse his weapons that are drow based. So I think even his melee is based off of Dex.His melee attacks are based on Dex, but being able to hit the enemy only helps if your hits actually damage the enemy.

Now, what is he trying to do with the character? What does the ranger level do? Are the cleric levels just for tossing heals?

Drakevarg
2010-10-18, 07:35 PM
How much fire damage do you deal on touch? If it's not much, you could just keep several scrolls of resist fire on hand.

Coidzor
2010-10-18, 08:42 PM
If it were damaging and he had a high INT, I'd recommend going into Factotum instead and focusing on tripping. Except now everyone else already had better reach than him out of the box except for the unicorn.

TurtleKing
2010-10-18, 09:02 PM
Not necessarily. The Hydra (me) is right now medium size due to my levels in hydra. Over the next two levels though I do grow to huge sized.

shadowmage
2010-10-19, 06:32 PM
For his healing get the feat that allows you to use touch spells out to 30 feet. Otherwise a magic weapon should be able to survive the fire.

TurtleKing
2010-10-20, 10:01 AM
Thank you. He was worried about he is going to be able to heal without also burning his patient. Could you point me in the direction of this feat?

His items are apparently fire proof, or at least from him. Not sure about other items we pick up. We are playing in a low magic world.

Coidzor
2010-10-20, 10:26 AM
reach spell is a +2 metamagic from.... Complete Divine
Deities and Demigods
Defenders of the Faith
Faiths & Pantheons

and ocular spell is a +2 metamagic that allows one to cast the spell and then hold it for hours from... Lords of Madness