PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Swiftblade Questions

Amoren
2010-10-18, 10:28 AM
So, after a very bad combat my poor rogue died, rather painfully from an enemy wizard casting fireball into the party group while he was unconscious. So now I've started to come up with a new character to replace the misfortune scoundrel!

And as the title states, I've stumbled upon the Swiftblade. However, while I have a psuedo build worked out I wanted to get some advice on what 'base' class to use? Right now I have him written down as a human wizard (showing up at fifth level) with transmutation domain and fighter bonus feats instead of wizard bonus feats (to take martial weapon proficiency: Greatsword as well as to pick up expeditious dodge and mobility).

However, I was wondering if I should instead have him be a battle sorcerer instead of a wizard but wasn't sure if the extra ~12 average more hit points and one base attack bonus was worth the hit to spell casting. I'm leaning towards staying with wizard, if only because of the ACF to trade away Scribe Scroll for weapon proficiency.

I was also curious about adding a Dark Template to him, assuming the DM allows him to come in with the buy off already done; as the Swiftblade grants concealment and thus allows him to hide in plain sight as an extraordinary ability pretty much anywhere. However, I didn't know if there would be much benefit in this character, as I wasn't planning on including any rogue/sneak attacking (pretty much going with Wizard 6/Swiftblade 9-10/Abjurant Champion 4-5).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-18, 10:33 AM
Swiftblade is SO good of a prestige class, that is merited it's own handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6280.0)

Read it, ponder on it, and come back if you still have questions.

Also, gray elfs (MM) are a great base as they got both int bonus and come with some martial weapon profieciencies so you won't have to burn a feat on it.

Greenish
2010-10-18, 10:34 AM
However, I was wondering if I should instead have him be a battle sorcerer instead of a wizard but wasn't sure if the extra ~12 average more hit points and one base attack bonus was worth the hit to spell casting.It's not. Battle Sorcerer is worse than normal sorcerer, and if you want to play him as a caster on lower levels, gish on higher, wizard's flexible spell list is much better. Also, more skillpoints. :smallwink:

If you want spontaneous casting, go with normal sorc.

I was also curious about adding a Dark Template to him, assuming the DM allows him to come in with the buy off already done; as the Swiftblade grants concealment and thus allows him to hide in plain sight as an extraordinary ability pretty much anywhere. However, I didn't know if there would be much benefit in this character, as I wasn't planning on including any rogue/sneak attacking (pretty much going with Wizard 6/Swiftblade 9-10/Abjurant Champion 4-5).Hide and Move Silently aren't class skills, but you might have points to commit to them, so it's your call. HiPS can be handy in some places, but you'll also have spells.

Amoren
2010-10-19, 07:29 AM
Swiftblade is SO good of a prestige class, that is merited it's own handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6280.0)

Read it, ponder on it, and come back if you still have questions.

Also, gray elfs (MM) are a great base as they got both int bonus and come with some martial weapon profieciencies so you won't have to burn a feat on it.

I actually already found that hand book, as it was what inspired me to play a Swift Blade (or rather, clued me in on its existence). I still wasn't sure if a normal wizard or battle sorcerer would be better though; since the sorc variant is listed as being blue for entry classes in the hand book.

As for Gray Elves, while it sounds like it'll be great, our DM has ruled that base classes and races have to come from the player's hand book I, after one player decided to go the true dragon kobold way (ACFs, feats, and prestige classes are allowed on his permission). If he did allow it though, I'd have to ponder if the hit to strength and con will be worth it (especially since the elf martial weapon proficiencies aren't as strong as the great sword).

And thanks for the reminder about spells, HiPS does seem kind of weak when you can just cast Greater Invisibility; although I guess it means it can work in an AMF if I'm going to be worried about those.

For those interested, here is also what I have for my current character; if you've got any specific advice for him.

Human Wizard 5 (Domain Casting: Transmutation and Fighter Bonus Feats)
Stats: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 17 (+1 at level 4), Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 13
Feats:
1) Able Learner, MWP: Greatsword, Dodge (or Expeditious Dodge)
3) Extend Spell MM
5) Mobility

Known Spells:
All 0-level spells.
1) Expeditious Retreat, Mage Armor, Shield, Grease, Familiar Pocket, Nerveskitter, Ray of Enfeeblement, Ray of Clumsiness, Enlarge Person, Alarm
2) Levitate, Rope Trick, Heroics, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
3) Haste, Dispel Magic, Explosive Rune

Explosive Rune is probably a suboptimal choice, but after reading Order of the Stick there's just to much fun to have with them. I'm also planning on picking up Wraithstrike at higher levels (or scribing it, if possible) since right now it won't do much and Rope Trick could potentially save the party if we REALLY need to rest.