PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #752 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2010-10-18, 12:12 PM
New comic is up.

Iskandar
2010-10-18, 12:15 PM
Totally did not see THAT coming.

Will be interesting to see what she does with her hair on a day to day basis....

Wrecan
2010-10-18, 12:16 PM
It's not often that I pop in just as a comic is posted. Anyway, I love the pun in the title! Nice comic. (Though my wife, who has short hair, will be disappointed that Haley grew her hair out.)

Wou
2010-10-18, 12:16 PM
Yay!
Never liked that short haircut

iTookUrNick
2010-10-18, 12:17 PM
Uhm, I wonder how they will manage the "fun" with all that hair...

Last panel was nice too :)

Din Tempre
2010-10-18, 12:19 PM
Of course there now needs the theory that her excessively long hair desires are symbolic of something in her dark past... like epileptic trees or something.

Edit: I can't believe I clicked the link at such a random time to see the thread had only the giant's post in it.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-10-18, 12:20 PM
...well, that was random :smallconfused:

I wonder how long the long-hair will last. Since it said "magical" I'm guessing it'll go away on its own in a page or two. I have no idea how she could possibly move around with hair of that length.

The weight on her neck alone! :smalleek:

Drolyt
Yay, new comic so soon. Keep up the good work Giant!
Also, Haley is awesome.

Agi Hammerthief
well, who could resist shoving in some more

Pip
2010-10-18, 12:22 PM
Of course there now needs the theory that her excessively long hair desires are symbolic of something in her dark past... like epileptic trees or something.

I'm sure the beautician is waiting off panel (and outside the room) for a quick hair cut before the parade.

And nice pun on the name Giant.

BallsInABowl
2010-10-18, 12:22 PM
Wow. Haley's Bewbs are everything I thought they'd be. Now if we could just get that same shot withOUT the hair...

Tiscooler
2010-10-18, 12:23 PM
Nice one. Completely unexpected.

I like how he brought up how she was suckered in before by a hair stylist too. Nice job at keeping her in character.

SPoD
2010-10-18, 12:23 PM

I wonder how long the long-hair will last. Since it said "magical" I'm guessing it'll go away on its own in a page or two. I have no idea how she could possibly move around with hair of that length.

The implication of the last panel is that it is permanent, because otherwise it wouldn't be proven to NOT be a sign of character growth. The fact that the short haircut was undone without any effort on Haley's part is what makes that joke work.

However, she can still get a pair of scissors and cut it back to ponytail-length.

Kurald Galain
2010-10-18, 12:27 PM
Is it bad that I like the pun in the title more than the comic itself? :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2010-10-18, 12:27 PM
...I think Haley really missed having hair longer than her little finger.

mucat
2010-10-18, 12:28 PM
Now I want a job selling cosmetics, just so I can use that line about cutting the cruelty out with a sword! :smallsmile:

I'm guessing the hair growth is permanent...but that doesn't mean it's impervious to haircuts. :smallwink:

She grew it out to that length for the hell of it, and as a posthumous middle finger to Crystal. I would imagine she'll cut it back to her old length before trying to leave that bed.

Exitus
2010-10-18, 12:29 PM
And Haley's Vanity gets in the way of Haley's Common Sense. Also, I don't see how her Azure City Resistance being able to survive has anything to do with newly freed, most likely already malnourished slaves being able to survive in VERY hostile looking mountains.

Saph
2010-10-18, 12:30 PM
That was . . . really awesome. :smallbiggrin: Yay for magical beauty treatments!

I loved the last line too.

the_tick_rules
Holy cow, I hope that doesn't exceed her carrying capacity

Ranylyn
I completely lost it when I saw that hair. Like seriously.

Morquard
2010-10-18, 12:33 PM
Yay long-haired Haley is back! I hope. And I guess she's gonna cut it back down to a reasonable length

DrakeRaids
2010-10-18, 12:34 PM
Sorry to be rude, and I know some people like topless Haley but...

http://blog.internetnews.com/apatrizio/do-not-want-dog.jpg

ericgrau
2010-10-18, 12:34 PM
Is this some kind of jab at a wild forum theory I didn't notice? If it is the Giant sure went to great lengths to poke fun at them. :smallwink:

fwiffo
2010-10-18, 12:35 PM
Cool... You can almost see Hailey's eyes in couple of the panels.

What? I can't be the only one who noticed that.

Nilan8888
2010-10-18, 12:36 PM
It's been a while since I've seen the pun used in the title...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-18, 12:38 PM
HAHAHA! Oh man, that got me good. One of the first side-splitter comics we've had in awhile. Most of them have been ironic or punny so got a smirk. This brought forth a belly laugh.

I love randomness :smallbiggrin:
(and hair/fur-based jokes of course have a special place to me)

I know she'll probably cut it, but I hope she keeps it longer than before. I've always loved women with waist-long hair. It's hot.

AgentofOdd
2010-10-18, 12:39 PM
I don't suppose anyone homebrewed a magical beautician prestige class?

Also, on a trivial note, in panel two, the light blue-grey line on the wall made me think said beautician was shooting a eye beam on our favoite rogue. Actually made me smile a bit.

Morph Bark
2010-10-18, 12:41 PM
...where did Haley go and where did Rapunzel come from?

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-18, 12:42 PM
Is this some kind of jab at a wild forum theory I didn't notice? If it is the Giant sure went to great lengths to poke fun at them. :smallwink:

Yes. Yes it is. And now it'll turn out this is a plan by Tarquin to regress the battle hardened leader back into the girly thief so she's less capable of stopping his dastardly schemes :smallbiggrin:

Also: I knew the Giant read the fan theories for ideas :smallwink:

Love it.

Querzis
2010-10-18, 12:43 PM
...Elan is a very lucky man.

Anyway, I'm really worried about the slaves, theres a really big difference between soldiers surviving in their own city (where they know the layout much better then their enemy) and slaves surviving in hostile mountains.

Scarlet Knight
2010-10-18, 12:44 PM
:haley: "Oh! Ow! Ow!"

:elan: "Who's your True- Bad -Dor!"

:haley: "No! Ow! You're on my hair!"

HalfTangible
2010-10-18, 12:46 PM
Sorry to be rude, and I know some people like topless Haley but...

http://blog.internetnews.com/apatrizio/do-not-want-dog.jpg

eh, me neither, but it's his comic, it toes the line, and it was a good joke.

Toper
2010-10-18, 12:50 PM
Um. I understand how Haley's feeling and all, but I personally REALLY REALLY did not need to see that. :smalleek:

Pronounceable
2010-10-18, 12:51 PM
Apparently there's no kill like overkill. I'm surprised she can move with that much hair.

DSCrankshaw
2010-10-18, 12:52 PM
It'll definitely be interesting to see what length her hair ends up.

Ancalagon
2010-10-18, 12:53 PM
Indeed... weird. ;)

Draconi Redfir
2010-10-18, 12:59 PM
:smallconfused: i dun get it... still a cool page though

Warren Dew
2010-10-18, 01:05 PM
Apparently there's no kill like overkill. I'm surprised she can move with that much hair.

Who says she can move?

Mirrinus
2010-10-18, 01:15 PM
Gotta admit, I also thought Haley looked better with long hair.

Inkling
2010-10-18, 01:16 PM
Noooo! I loved her short hair! It fit her personality so well! :smallfrown:

Noircat
2010-10-18, 01:20 PM
A nod to the upcoming Rapunzel movie "Tangled?"

That hair is so big it counts as medium armor, yo.

TheBlackShadow
2010-10-18, 01:25 PM
Wow, that was quick.

I preferred Haley with short hair, but that's just me. The new long-haired Haley just looks strange to me.

Zevox
2010-10-18, 01:28 PM
A pity. I liked short-hair Haley. Oh well.

Zevox

Roland Itiative
2010-10-18, 01:28 PM
I had to refrain myself from laughing out loud in the middle of the office :smallbiggrin: I didn't foresee this at all... Nice pun in the title too :smalltongue:

Lombard
2010-10-18, 01:32 PM
Shove some more in? lol?

HeseMCMXCI
2010-10-18, 01:35 PM
great comic, i just hope Giant keeps this speed up at least for a few more strips, it has been great so far :smallbiggrin:

PopcornMage
2010-10-18, 01:37 PM
Oh Elan, you are the master of the double-entendre without even knowing it.

No wonder he picked Ignorance as a power source.

Secris
2010-10-18, 01:37 PM
I can honestly say that, although I love redheads, that would turn me off a bit. That's just... no. Bad Haley, bad!

Kislath
2010-10-18, 01:40 PM
Why was she still wearing pants? She should have just had strategically placed hair.

DreadArchon
2010-10-18, 01:41 PM
Oh Elan, you are the master of the double-entendre without even knowing it.
I'm guessing that was intentional. He can certainly make a mess out of listening, but his own communications come across as clear and deliberate. :smallbiggrin:

Lycan 01
2010-10-18, 01:41 PM
Well this came from out of absolutely nowhere. Seriously, one of the most random twists so far. Don't get me wrong, it was hilarious. But it still caught me quite off guard. Actually, that may be why it was so funny...

Zanaril
2010-10-18, 01:43 PM
I scrolled down and audibly spluttered.

recentlyafish
2010-10-18, 01:44 PM
Burlew, just so you know: Jelly bean shaped stick figures = NOT attractive.

<BTW you might want to consider making a :blech: emoticon for these situations>

zimmerwald1915
2010-10-18, 01:46 PM
Is it wrong that my first thought was "BLAM"?

Zanaril
2010-10-18, 01:47 PM
Burlew, just so you know: Jelly bean shaped stick figures = NOT attractive.

<BTW you might want to consider making a :blech: emoticon for these situations>

But if this was drawn in non-oots style, you would ogle it?

Pity we're not allowed to post that kind of stuff any more.

mucat
2010-10-18, 01:48 PM
I preferred Haley with short hair, but that's just me. The new long-haired Haley just looks strange to me.
Well, until she decides what length to cut the hair to, it is strange. Give her a strip or two to decide.

By the way, was anyone else a little scared when they opened the strip and saw Haley pulling her bow on the beautician? Before I read what was going on, I was afraid she was about to go off the deep end and start eliminating witnesses to the slave breakout... :smalleek:

KillItWithFire
2010-10-18, 01:54 PM
I agree, short-haired Haley was better. As for the slaves, I think their chances of survival depends on how long it takes for the EoB to notice they are gone and how well they use that time.

ss49
2010-10-18, 01:55 PM
I hope Haley and Vaarsuvius don't regret their apparent lack of disguises during Operation Slave Breakout.

And that is a lot of hair. If I could embed a graph, it would show how hotness and practicality are inversely proportional.

The Succubus
2010-10-18, 01:56 PM
For the attention of all those complaining about the topless Haley shots, it's not the first time....

:haley: Geez, you try to squeeze a little fan service in...

Cleverdan22
2010-10-18, 02:00 PM
Ahaha, fantastic comic today. That's a ludicrous amount of hair, however. I wonder what she plans to do with it.

jidasfire
2010-10-18, 02:00 PM
Gotta say, I am not a fan of this. I did want to see Haley's hair grow back, but gradually, not immediately. I think it would have been cool to see her hair go through the various lengths in between, and then finally, probably in the last arc when the story comes full-circle (which, since they're going to another dungeon, I think it will), she'd have her ponytail again. Doing it this way just seems like a shortcut, where the author was just tired of the look and/or arc. Still, as things I didn't like go, it's at least extremely minor, and shouldn't have a great deal of impact on the story.

KillItWithFire
2010-10-18, 02:03 PM
Probably cut it, there's no practical reason to even HAVE that amout of hair and I think Rich would go crazy having to draw that much hair every time he included Haley in a strip.

Gotta say, I am not a fan of this. I did want to see Haley's hair grow back, but gradually, not immediately. I think it would have been cool to see her hair go through the various lengths in between, and then finally, probably in the last arc when the story comes full-circle (which, since they're going to another dungeon, I think it will), she'd have her ponytail again. Doing it this way just seems like a shortcut, where the author was just tired of the look and/or arc. Still, as things I didn't like go, it's at least extremely minor, and shouldn't have a great deal of impact on the story.

I'm against it too, but for a different reason, I guess I just prefer it when changes in character apperance only occur when something major happens to the character and this instance seems rather trivial.

Cerlis
2010-10-18, 02:10 PM
well i certainly think she isnt KEEPING IT.

She hated what happened to he hair, and wait? there is a beautician with magical beauticiany stuff? So she went the direct opposite of what she had for a momentary euphoria of beauty.

Next strip will probably have them after sex with some comment about the hair, like Elan almost getting strangled, or them playing "under the covers" in it.

or whatever that game is.

Cicciograna
2010-10-18, 02:12 PM
You know, I'm happy that Haley had her hair back...but I've never wanted more than now that she had SHORT hair! Elan's a lucky guy!

KillItWithFire
2010-10-18, 02:13 PM
or whatever that game is.

It's called "washing the monkey" :smallwink:

faustin
2010-10-18, 02:18 PM
I still hope that magical growed hair has "magical drawbacks" (maybe magical hypnotic sugestion to Tarquin´s commands, like that old episode of Kim Possible "Rappin´ Drakken").

kojar
2010-10-18, 02:21 PM
Will someone please explain the title joke to me?

KillItWithFire
2010-10-18, 02:22 PM
I still hope that magical growed hair has "magical drawbacks" (maybe magical hypnotic sugestion to Tarquin´s commands, like that old episode of Kim Possible "Rappin´ Drakken").

I doubt it. Tarquin has no reason to enchant Haley. (yet)

pendell
2010-10-18, 02:22 PM
It occurs to me that short hair is more useful to a rogue than long hair. Long hair can be grabbed by enemies, can be home to lice if in the field, can get caught in things.

Still .. think THIS will snap Elan out of his age regression? Looks like the little boy CAN do some big boy things when he puts his mind to it... :smallamused:

I also applaud the update speed. I'm glad to see The Giant is getting back on form.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

KillItWithFire
2010-10-18, 02:23 PM
Will someone please explain the title joke to me?

Picking locks is obviously something that a rogue (Haley) performs on a regular basis and "locks" is another word for hair. My interpretation is that Haley is picking her new longer hair over the shorter style she wore up until now.

Long hair can be grabbed by enemies, can be home to lice if in the field, can get caught in things.

It's why the millitary requires you to get it buzzed.

Itamarcu
2010-10-18, 02:25 PM
I wonder will it be possible for her to cut some hair and make it an old hair sized wig. And then in the middle of the parade, POOF! everything's gone.

Doomboy911
2010-10-18, 02:28 PM
I think the giant is beginning to work on karma. Haley does nice thing (frees slaves) Haley gets long hair, though how Roy going to prison is hard to say maybe by stopping Belkar from picking on the other prisoners he got lucky meeting those two older guys.

DSCrankshaw
2010-10-18, 02:30 PM
Personally, I liked Haley's ponytail, and I wouldn't mind seeing its return. My guess is that Rich decided he liked it too, and wanted it back.

faustin
2010-10-18, 02:31 PM
I doubt it. Tarquin has no reason to enchant Haley. (yet)

Except, maybe, her nice big pair of..... eyes:smallredface:

Kaytara
2010-10-18, 02:37 PM
...That's a lot of hair.

Face it, fellow ladies. For a product like that, you wouldn't care less if it WERE powered by dead babies. :P

I like how V's concerned over the further future of the slaves. It's a nice and subtle shift over how he might have acted a few arcs ago.

kojar
2010-10-18, 02:42 PM

If so a break enhancement/greater dispel magic spell should take care of that, lets just hope Durkon had them prepared them at the morning, I mean, he had to prepare something. Even if he did not prepare it someone else might have it in his spell list (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0647.html), that is if he will know what is going on if it happens :smallamused:

Edit: it is amazing how many posts good happen in so little time.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-18, 02:49 PM
This one brought a smile to my face. I needed that.

Thanks, Rich.

ref
2010-10-18, 02:54 PM
I'm amazed at the amount of sour grapes in this thread. OotS so needs a +18 version! hehe...

Elan is a very lucky man indeed.

Cicciograna
2010-10-18, 02:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that Haley will definitely cut her hair as before her fight with Crystal. For now, she's just enjoying them.

angroy
2010-10-18, 02:58 PM
Another very good comic. I'm glad their is a more frequent updates again!
And I agree, she will cut it soon.

Unrest
2010-10-18, 03:03 PM
Time to give the pet orangutan a proper bath.

Sorry, had to say that.

Cizak
2010-10-18, 03:03 PM
Meh, it's okay I guess, but I'm not a fan of her just getitng her old hair back like that. I like outfit-changes, and was just starting to get used to the "new" Haley.

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-18, 03:08 PM
But probably not before she displays it in the parade. And knowing Haley, she'll find out someway to Sneak Attack with it.

Conuly
2010-10-18, 03:11 PM
Meh, it's okay I guess, but I'm not a fan of her just getitng her old hair back like that. I like outfit-changes, and was just starting to get used to the "new" Haley.

That's not her old hair. That's... that's... that's a lot of hair.

Bedinsis
2010-10-18, 03:13 PM
I liked Haley in her short hair. But now she's probably gonna go back to the one she had B.C. (Before Crystal). :smallfrown:

Talon Sky
Wow. Haley's Bewbs are everything I thought they'd be. Now if we could just get that same shot withOUT the hair...

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, the internet.

*sighs*

Anyways, excellent comic.

Juggling Goth
Whoa! Haley fanservice!

(I can't really relate. I shaved my head four years ago and never looked back. I start screeching when it gets a centimetre long.)

Hope Elan finds his way out again. Reminds me of a limerick I read once. Paraphrasing from memory:

There once was a lady called Mary
Had erogenous zones rather hairy
She said 'have a care
The last one's still in there
So I'm warning you to be wary'

OldFart
2010-10-18, 03:18 PM
The lady's much protesting to the contrary aside, I think we have seen character growth.

Haley, the arch-typically greedy rogue, was in a palace. A palace filled, presumably, with all the loot one would would expect a despotic empire to have. She was able to sneak around in said palace all day, at will. With her wizard accomplice. And she used the time to free a bunch of slaves, not to rob the place blind. Because the welfare of other people was more important to Haley than exceeding her wealth-by-level guidelines.

For Haley, that's significant character growth. And as a reward, she gets her hair back, and removes the reminder of the thieves guild, and the mere burglar she used to be.

Querzis
2010-10-18, 03:25 PM
It occurs to me that short hair is more useful to a rogue than long hair. Long hair can be grabbed by enemies, can be home to lice if in the field, can get caught in things.

If any enemy can get close enough to grab her ponytail that is behind her head, then he can just backstab her instead, its a lot more efficient. A sword got a lot more reach then your hand, nobody is gonna waste time trying to grab the hair of someone when you got a sword. Also, lice really isnt a problem when you got a cleric. The whole «soldier getting their head shaved» is really a new thing and its more for discipline then anything else. Most warriors in mediaval times are depicted with really long hair, just look at the vikings.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-18, 03:26 PM
I took one look at this comic and busted out laughing. Thanks!

Code Black
2010-10-18, 03:27 PM
I always assumed the short hair was less to do with Character Development and more to do with symbolic retribution for her ruthlessness in Cliffport and determination as a leader that led to her channeling her personality in a different way - a dark taint she's long since made up for and a determination she's long since reconciled with her main personality.

Basically, it represents a part of herself she lost that she long since regained. At this point - and for quite a while - the hair is just a memento and nothing more.

rewinn
2010-10-18, 03:30 PM
It just goes to show, even the best day ever (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0750.html) can be improved!

tcrudisi
2010-10-18, 03:32 PM
That hair is so big it counts as medium armor, yo.

Except she's female, so the lack of clothing counts as full armor (in most fantasy settings). :smalltongue:

Calmness
2010-10-18, 03:32 PM
Nice comic. I like her hair.

PsychoticPanda
2010-10-18, 03:39 PM
WILL her hair stay like that !!??!??!?!?!

Hope not................

tcrudisi
2010-10-18, 03:40 PM
Haley, the arch-typically greedy rogue, was in a palace. A palace filled, presumably, with all the loot one would would expect a despotic empire to have. She was able to sneak around in said palace all day, at will. With her wizard accomplice. And she used the time to free a bunch of slaves, not to rob the place blind. Because the welfare of other people was more important to Haley than exceeding her wealth-by-level guidelines.

For Haley, that's significant character growth. And as a reward, she gets her hair back, and removes the reminder of the thieves guild, and the mere burglar she used to be.

Well said!

Kish
2010-10-18, 03:51 PM
WILL her hair stay like that !!??!??!?!?!

Hope not................
Extremely unlikely. It will probably be back to original-Haley style in the next strip that depicts her.

Raimun
2010-10-18, 03:59 PM
About that character growth...

Even if the short hair was a symbol of character growth, so what?

Changing your style won't magically wash that growth away. You still have that but without the symbol.

Still, I guess what Haley had previously was just a crappy haircut. :smallamused:

dps
2010-10-18, 04:01 PM
Anyway, I love the pun in the title!

It's also a great bit of misdirection. This strip definately wasn't what I was expecting.

Fitzclowningham
2010-10-18, 04:02 PM
It must have been really hard for her to get her shirt off...unless, maybe it's still in there...somewhere.

Ted The Bug
My reaction to this comic can be summed up as follows: YES!!!

Psyren
The title was the best part. :smallsmile:

Here's hoping the ponytail comes back (when they're done boning like rabbits again)

cho_j
2010-10-18, 04:05 PM
About that character growth...

Even if the short hair was a symbol of character growth, so what?

Changing your style won't magically wash that growth away. You still have that but without the symbol.

Still, I guess what Haley had previously was just a crappy haircut. :smallamused:

I agree with this completely! As somebody who just happened to like the look of her old hair better, my eyes are pleased by the idea that something more similar to (if not exactly) that look will be returning. My story-reader senses are satisfied by knowing that Haley is Haley is Haley no matter what length her hair is. The part of me that starts screaming in agony when English classmates want to assign a significance to every word (or in this cast, hair cut) on the page is happy at the punchline. Oh, and my love for puns was satiated by the title! I let out a serious hoot at that; luckily my roommate's not here studying. :smallbiggrin:

All in all, this is a good one! Unexpected, funny, and AMAZINGLY quick as an update! (Yay for the Giant!)

Forealms
2010-10-18, 04:07 PM
I liked the ponytail less than the short hair, myself. Maybe a new hairstyle altogether is in order?

Blaznak
2010-10-18, 04:10 PM
I like the Rapunzel look. I'm hoping she goes for a sensible but sultry "Veronica Lake" in the future!

Squark
2010-10-18, 04:22 PM
It must have been really hard for her to get her shirt off...unless, maybe it's still in there...somewhere.

Or maybe she took it off before the hair growth was applied, and did the whole thing in a bra.

Also, I agree, the pun was unexpected. I was so sure it was going to do with choices in locks.

Hardcore
2010-10-18, 04:24 PM
I totally approve of the adult tone in this comic.

Squark
2010-10-18, 04:30 PM
Also, the hair seems... excessive. To be honest, I can't help thinking it would get in the way of... simian washing.

Keld Denar
2010-10-18, 04:34 PM
Yea Elan! Take her to the farm for a lil' Brown chick'in brown cow!

megabyter5
2010-10-18, 04:36 PM
Is there something I'm not getting in the "cruelty cut out with a sword" line? Because all I'm getting is that "sword =/= cruelty-free so it's funny ha ha".

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-10-18, 04:46 PM
¡Magnífico! :biggrin:

Thanks again, Giant.

Deth Muncher
2010-10-18, 04:53 PM
Thaaaat's pretty great. XD

Acero
2010-10-18, 05:15 PM
If any enemy can get close enough to grab her ponytail that is behind her head, then he can just backstab her instead, its a lot more efficient. A sword got a lot more reach then your hand, nobody is gonna waste time trying to grab the hair of someone when you got a sword.

I love being a Monk

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-18, 05:17 PM
Also, Haley had the short hair for over 100 strips and more than a year (Real-world). :smalltongue:

Querzis
2010-10-18, 05:24 PM
I love being a Monk

So punch her behind the head, still a lot more efficient then grabbing her hair.

Seriously, this aint catfight or a wrestling match, no soldier is gonna stop trying to stab you because you grabbed their hair!

silversaraph
2010-10-18, 05:28 PM
That was very, very random. Something must have happened to Rich! I'm guessing something that sounds like ehl-es-dee. :smalltongue:

KeiranHalcyon
2010-10-18, 05:35 PM
Or maybe she took it off before the hair growth was applied, and did the whole thing in a bra.

Or the robe she had on in the morning.

I have to say, I was not expecting stick figure Godiva hair. Was I wrong to file OOTS in the SFW category of webcomics I follow? (Then again, there was the whole incident with Nale and that dress...)

Castamir
2010-10-18, 05:35 PM
As a man who used to have waist-long hair, I can tell you it can suck when you plop down into a chair carelessly.

(And my "character growth" was due to three drunk buddies...)

Elf Ranger
2010-10-18, 05:37 PM
Man, I hope Somewhere can deal with all that cruelty,
As for Elan and Haley, I can see why this was the best day ever:smallcool:

Pokonic
2010-10-18, 05:38 PM
Was not expecting this, but a great surprise, Rich!
The crack pairing thread would have had a field day with this one!:smallbiggrin:

Inhuman Bot
2010-10-18, 05:40 PM
What is this I don't even..

suszterpatt
2010-10-18, 05:44 PM
I fully support the return of Haley's long hair, though perhaps with some variation.

Varietas delectat, and all that.

Crisis21
2010-10-18, 06:00 PM
Okay. I totally did not see that coming from a story standpoint.

From the standpoint of what someone would do if allowed access to magical beauty treatment, such as the ability to quickly grow hair, this was as obvious as it was awesome.

Seriously, how many people, male or female, would do utterly impractical things with their hair if there was a quick and easy way to reverse it?

Thank you Rich. :smallcool:

Capt Spanner
2010-10-18, 06:18 PM
And The Giant said "Let there be fanservice."

And there was fanservice.

Nice one, and ... fanservice...

*Drool*

Did I mention I have a thing for red hair?

[Something cogent here...that's the plan anyway]

ScottishDragon
2010-10-18, 06:20 PM
Yay! Haley's hair is long again!!Wonder what's gonna happen during the parade.

dgnslyr
2010-10-18, 06:29 PM

It could be a Duration: Instantaneous spell, and she's just planning to trim it back to a more reasonable length sometime soon, maybe after the parade.

Jagos
2010-10-18, 06:44 PM
I.. uhm... huh...

Wow...

That was just left field for me.

megabyter5
2010-10-18, 06:45 PM
So... Nobody can explain the "cut out the cruelty" part? I'm feeling really dumb right now.

willpell
2010-10-18, 07:00 PM
Elan thinks he can "shove it in"?

Wow, that was blunt. And thick. With purple veins. (Okay I'll stop now.)

lost_my_NHL
2010-10-18, 07:01 PM
Hmmm, I'm thinking they might get tangled up in hair that long. I hope their escape artist checks are high, or else their rendez-vous is going to get pretty hairy...

Aka

What's the CR on the Beast with Two Backs?

Aka

It seems the Beast with Two Backs is actually Cousin It from the Addams family.

But I definitely liked the shorter haircut. It made Haley look more mature, which given the increasing severity of their mission, was appropriate. But I can see the reasons for fans wanting long hair again, too.

PopcornMage
2010-10-18, 07:03 PM
So... Nobody can explain the "cut out the cruelty" part? I'm feeling really dumb right now.

Well, I would guess that the process involved something evil like the cooking did, but without the Giant being specific, I'd just say something evil like the way it is found in real life.

Ozzie
2010-10-18, 07:06 PM
I'm starting to get a little sicked out with Burlew mixing childlike qualities and sexuality. Pick just one, perv.

Or maybe shorten Elan holding ballons talking about fun time with daddy and make Haley his teacher. No kids huh? No friends with kids? wth?

lost_my_NHL
2010-10-18, 07:06 PM
Except she's female, so the lack of clothing counts as full armor (in most fantasy settings). :smalltongue:

It can't be, her AC is incredibly low, as evidenced by the fact that I would totally hit that.

tiercel
2010-10-18, 07:19 PM
Heh, I can't help but think of Elf from Schlock Mercenary (http://www.schlockmercenary.com), though she didn't quite go SuperGodivaPlus like Haley here.

Elf before (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2006-04-16)
Elf after (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2006-04-23)
"How do I fight in this?" (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2006-04-25)

...just another reflection of the truism "sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-18, 07:22 PM
It can't be, her AC is incredibly low, as evidenced by the fact that I would totally hit that.

:groan: that was totally lame (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IncrediblyLamePun)... I aprove:smallbiggrin:

I have mixed feelings about the whole hair bussiness, I didn't particularly like or dislike haley's short hair, but this just seems so out of the blue that I can't really say something.

Other than that, this comic made me LoL on my bussiness class.... needless to say that I recieved really weird looks today.

mucat
2010-10-18, 07:26 PM

In real life, cosmetics companies often make a point of being "Cruelty-free", meaning they do not test their products on animals. (At least, not in inhumane ways.)

In the comic, Haley is even more worried, because this is the Empire of Blood, where they extract phoenix livers from living birds; who knows how evil their cosmetics are?

So the beautician assures Hayley that everything is cruelty-free...and then undercuts her own point when she says they "cut out the cruelty with a sword." While it's not clear exactly what she means by that, it sounds awfully...cruel. :smalleek:

Marnath
2010-10-18, 07:29 PM
I'm starting to get a little sicked out with Burlew mixing childlike qualities and sexuality. Pick just one, perv.

Or maybe shorten Elan holding ballons talking about fun time with daddy and make Haley his teacher. No kids huh? No friends with kids? wth?

Rich Burlew is not a pervert. I don't know if you've noticed, but this is a webcomic aimed at an adult audience, and romance very rarely plays a role at all in his story. Real couples are intimate, and if you can't get over the one or two strips like this out of 750+, to see the overall story then I don't know what to say. If you don't like this comic, we aren't forcing you to read it.
Also, there's an important difference between actual children and a grown man who just isn't very smart. :smallconfused:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-18, 07:37 PM

Uh...I don't think that's what Rich was intending here. Elan may have a definite childish sweetness about him, but he's still an (ostensibly) mature 21-year-old in a steady, intimate relationship. His playful, cheery demeanor and his healthy romantic (And yes, sexual) relationship with Haley are in no way mutually exclusive.

*Shrugs* It's kinda the same thing with Serrin from my comic. Massive genki girl, but...Well, she did have a boyfriend a couple years back. :smallwink: She's an adult, she knew what she was getting into, and just because she had sex doesn't mean that she's required to cut out her cheery demeanor and irrepressible happiness and hyperactivity the next morning. Same deal with Elan.

Gwynfrid
2010-10-18, 07:46 PM
So the beautician assures Hayley that everything is cruelty-free...and then undercuts her own point when she says they "cut out the cruelty with a sword." While it's not clear exactly what she means by that, it sounds awfully...cruel. :smalleek:

She undercuts it much, much further with the end of the sentence:"... cut out with a sword and sent elsewhere". This clearly implies they did not reduce the cruelty inflicted one bit. They just transferred it to activities other than the beauty industry. This is a great, subtle joke, if a bone-chilling one. It adds to the growing pile of evidence that the Empire of Blood isn't just nasty, it's eeeeevil, in a very systematic fashion.

Geno9999
2010-10-18, 07:54 PM
...I think Haley really missed having hair longer than her little finger.

Seriously, you could cut that hair down and you could make a bed cover, a blanket and a pillow case from the leftover.

Also, obligatory tvtrope link that (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GodivaHair)has nothing to do with the comic at all. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadLiar)

erictheredd
2010-10-18, 07:56 PM
for all of you commenting on how haley looks..... she's Invisible, remember?

Prospekt
2010-10-18, 08:03 PM

Grow up. It's just one strip, and it's stick figures. I think you're overreacting just a little. You're a perv if you want to be, or you can just accept it as a thing couples do. The Giant is not making his comic a porno because of one strip (oh gah, pun), it's just in his brand of humor- and I'll repeat, they're stick figures. Frankly, if you can't stand that much, you should definitely avoid a certain 99% of the internet.

As for myself and the strip... I got fooled by the strip title as well. Did not expect that at all :smallfrown:

Geno9999
2010-10-18, 08:06 PM

No she isn't, see; she still has her pants on.

Gift Jeraff
2010-10-18, 08:07 PM
I'm amazed at the amount of sour grapes in this thread. OotS so needs a +18 version! hehe...

Somehow I doubt the "sour grapes" are under 18.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-18, 08:11 PM
Uh...I don't think that's what Rich was intending here. Elan may have a definite childish sweetness about him, but he's still an (ostensibly) mature 21-year-old in a steady, intimate relationship. His playful, cheery demeanor and his healthy romantic (And yes, sexual) relationship with Haley are in no way mutually exclusive.

*Shrugs* It's kinda the same thing with Serrin from my comic. Massive genki girl, but...Well, she did have a boyfriend a couple years back. :smallwink: She's an adult, she knew what she was getting into, and just because she had sex doesn't mean that she's required to cut out her cheery demeanor and irrepressible happiness and hyperactivity the next morning. Same deal with Elan.

Is that asomekind of foreshadowing coffe?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-18, 08:15 PM
Is that asomekind of foreshadowing coffe?

Serrin already mentioned that she had a boyfriend. I'm just making a point. An immature cheerfulness and sexual activity are not mutually exclusive and, though they can be creepy together, don't necessarily have to be.

PopcornMage
2010-10-18, 08:18 PM

Not quite. It only applies if you're naked. She wasn't.

MarkusWolfe
2010-10-18, 08:28 PM
Well played, Monsieur Rich.

Okay. I totally did not see that coming from a story standpoint.

From the standpoint of what someone would do if allowed access to magical beauty treatment, such as the ability to quickly grow hair, this was as obvious as it was awesome.

Seriously, how many people, male or female, would do utterly impractical things with their hair if there was a quick and easy way to reverse it?

Thank you Rich. :smallcool:

Oh, the beard I would grow.....I'd french braid my mustache and put a pair of rings in it!

Did I mention I have a thing for red hair?

Redheads: Why do we even have other hair colors?

Owl
2010-10-18, 08:34 PM
Boobies! :smalltongue:

*snerk*

Tobimaro
2010-10-18, 08:34 PM
Looks like the Expert "palace beautician" took ranks in Hide and Move Silently. :smallcool:

Chainer-
2010-10-18, 08:37 PM
Maybe the giant found a new hairstyle he likes for Hayley while testing new art, and gave a quick way to lengthen it so it can be cut into the new style.

Half-Orc Rage
2010-10-18, 09:04 PM
I liked that so much I had to get my account back up so I could say how much I liked it.

As a bald guy I could use that kind of magic

Asthix
2010-10-18, 09:09 PM
Shock!! :smalleek:

Also, speaking as someone with long hair covering the maximum area available I can say that no matter how long the hair, it can be managed. The problem is with two people who both have long hair. That is very hard to manage.

Which brings me to my new hoped for Elan hirsute transformation! Bwa ahahaha!

Rebarth
2010-10-18, 09:29 PM
I gotta ask :smallbiggrin:
Isn't the title, uhm, a reference to that comical Robin Hood movie (forgot it's name) where the beautiful princess, a red head, has a lock on her panties, and robin is searching the land for the key? Her hair, btw is covering her breasts in one scene, like in the comic?

Prospekt
2010-10-18, 09:30 PM
It's not a reference to Men in Tights, the title refers to locks of hair.

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-18, 09:37 PM
I was thinking that pic of Haley lying back on the bed in panel 8 would make a very nice tshirt.

Leading up to a pic of her as the Birth of Venus maybe...

Umbra
2010-10-18, 10:06 PM
...did Haley just get a power-up?

PopcornMage
2010-10-18, 10:21 PM
Depends on if her hair is motile.

Shatteredtower
2010-10-18, 10:34 PM
Well played. So very well played.

silvadel
2010-10-19, 12:16 AM
I used to love the hairy cantrip -- worked wonders with intimidation on certain monster types -- poof one then threaten the rest of them.

the_tick_rules
2010-10-19, 01:34 AM
I wanna see her work it into a fro. Probably go up a size category or two.

Ranylyn
2010-10-19, 01:40 AM
Aha, I knew she kept her pants on for a reason! I thought at first she wanted to let Elan remove them, but she didn't want to be invisible so he could see her hair!

Tundar
2010-10-19, 01:56 AM
I wonder if Elan will run away screaming when he wakes up besides Haley suffering a bad hair day.

Google Don King and you will get my idea.

talkamancer
2010-10-19, 02:01 AM
Fanboy service for the win.

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-19, 02:25 AM

Badum-dum-tch!!

On an unrelated note: she could always take improved unarmed strike, braid it and use it to beat the tar out of people.

Arancaytar
2010-10-19, 03:16 AM
She looks great with that hair, but wouldn't it be extremely inconvenient to walk around with, let alone what they're about to do?

Arrowstorm122
2010-10-19, 04:12 AM
i guess Elan just childish around his Dad. and wouldnt most be if they was like Elan and havent seen there dad since birth?
owh, didnt expected that. at all.
so much hair. but i guess she just wanted to try some "fun" out, thinks she cut it into some other shorter haircut before the parade or maybe after.
"me too! i guess it was just a crappy haircut." i thought the hair also was meaning something, or atleast she just got in until they was out of the Desert.
the big question: will she get the ponytail back, or will she get a new, nicer haircut? :smalleek:

Arrowstorm122
2010-10-19, 04:15 AM
Aha, I knew she kept her pants on for a reason! I thought at first she wanted to let Elan remove them, but she didn't want to be invisible so he could see her hair!

hehe, havent thinked about the "woooooo, im invisible" thing in a while, nice comment. :smallwink:

faustin
2010-10-19, 04:40 AM
Hey, maybe Haley played Bayonetta and had an inspiration (about use her magical hair as costume and/or do summonings with it)

Nenec
2010-10-19, 04:55 AM
I liked that so much I had to get my account back up so I could say how much I liked it.
Same here :smallbiggrin:

Being invisible would complicate things a lot, I wonder how they can manage that after with no clothes on and full invisibility, unless so long hair really counts as armour :smalltongue:

I really liked Haley getting her hair back, I didn't like her with short hair and and she didn't as well, that was only a bad punishment from crystal that needed to be solved one day or another, and the magic beautician was perfect. I don't really think she's to go around like that, though, she's for sure having a decent shortcut after "washing the monkey". But I still hope it will be different from the old ponytail, maybe something a bit longer for compensation?
Great work with the character grown panel also :smallbiggrin:

And uhm am I the only one worried that the beautician could have heard what Haley and V said when entering the room? Not so explicit but still...
And no, I don't think a couple almost-starved slaves will be able to survive in the middle of a desert without provisions, sorry. As someone said last time, this is not Azure City :smalleek:

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 05:11 AM
Technically it's mountains, which may or may not be deserts. Not that they're necessarily any more survivable.

Don't know if the beauty girl heard anything, it's possible yes, but it's possible she didn't know or care. She's not obviously evil, unlike the cook.

Liwen
2010-10-19, 05:41 AM
*Casts suggestion on the Giant*

It would be totally awesome to have a fan drawing contest for the invention of a brand new and awesome Haley's haircut to wear during the parade. With that much hair the work with, anything is possible.

Also I approve of this comic. Go Elan!

faustin
2010-10-19, 05:43 AM
Anyone other than me is worried about the fact a beauty girl (non warrior) NPC can ambush a skilled rogue like Haley and V´elves senses WITHOUT EVEN TRIED?

Adeptus
2010-10-19, 06:32 AM
Anyone other than me is worried about the fact a beauty girl (non warrior) NPC can ambush a skilled rogue like Haley and V´elves senses WITHOUT EVEN TRIED?

Even the best are defenceless in the face of rolling a 1.

Also... boobies :smallsmile:

maxon
2010-10-19, 06:57 AM
aaww - I liked the short hair.

binyamin20
2010-10-19, 07:59 AM
Meh.
Evreyone seems to like this comic, but I am a little disapontied that the giant made a comic that is just plain fansevice with no jokes.
5/10

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 08:05 AM
I counted 3 jokes, maybe 5.

Pane 5, and the last 2. I could put the first panel as a joke, and Haley's whole hair things too, but I wouldn't insist on it.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-19, 08:06 AM
I love this comic. :)
...and I want hair like that.

Kish
2010-10-19, 08:10 AM
Meh.
Evreyone seems to like this comic, but I am a little disapontied that the giant made a comic that is just plain fansevice with no jokes.
5/10
It's not "just plain fanservice." It's change: Haley getting her long hair back.

Heksefatter
2010-10-19, 08:12 AM
It was ok, but I am currently at the stage where I am itching for the main plot to develop. I can't wait to see what Tarquin is up to.

binyamin20
2010-10-19, 08:14 AM
It's not "just plain fanservice." It's change: Haley getting her long hair back.

That isn't important, it was just a haircut, the giant sais so 'imself.

Kish
2010-10-19, 08:18 AM
:smallsigh:
1) Rich is not in the latest strip, or any other strip.
2) An art change/reversion is not "just plain fanservice," unless you're seriously arguing that Rich was at all likely to just skip to Haley's hair being restored to its prior length without showing it happening or explaining it.

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 08:24 AM

Unless you crack the Stegnography!

Then he's in all of them.

Him or Bea Arthur.

binyamin20
2010-10-19, 08:37 AM
:smallsigh:
2) An art change/reversion is not "just plain fanservice," unless you're seriously arguing that Rich was at all likely to just skip to Haley's hair being restored to its prior length without showing it happening or explaining it.

1) rich said through haley, {Scrubbed}.
2) I meant the lack of a shirt on haley.

vwnewt
2010-10-19, 08:58 AM
Yeah. Gotta love those almost Ta-Ta shots he slips in. And how badly is the hair going to get in the way on Wednesday? I can't wait to see how that works.:smallamused:

Kyronea
2010-10-19, 09:03 AM
So was I the only one to see Haley's long hair and have the first thought of "Woo, now she has a convenient leash for Elan again!"?

kojar
2010-10-19, 09:10 AM
I just noticed V was trying to cast a spell while Haley was aiming her arrow. I didnt even notice s/he even was in panels 2# and 3# since I was so focused on Haley : l

JRKlein
2010-10-19, 09:27 AM
The short hair WAS a symbol of Haley's character growth, and the ridiculously loooong hair means she's taken a step backward.

Scarlet Knight
2010-10-19, 09:56 AM
No, Haley is just putting the "fantasy strip" back into a " fantasy strip" . :smallwink:

PhallicWarrior
2010-10-19, 09:57 AM
Giant, you deserve to burn for eternity for that pun.

Either that, or get a medal.

ref
2010-10-19, 10:41 AM
Vote: Medal

grimbold
2010-10-19, 10:49 AM
this is... interesting
fanservice will have a field day

Kish
2010-10-19, 10:49 AM
1) rich said through haley, smartass.
2) I meant the lack of a shirt on haley.
You're not getting it. Haley said. That Haley is acting as Rich's mouthpiece is your assumption.

And are you aware of the difference between "there was fanservice in this strip" and, "this strip was just plain fanservice," and which you said initially?

JonestheSpy
2010-10-19, 11:52 AM
'Shove some more in'?

Wow. Just wow.

Vectner
2010-10-19, 02:30 PM
Now she needs a haircut. This girls always goes to extremes

plasma ball
2010-10-19, 03:01 PM
That was.... unexpected. I thought that we would keep the short hair until the end of the story ark.

Speaking of wich, Durkon only has ten more strips before his papers expire. I wonder what would happen, sence he's under the protection of the general. Mabey he's so lawful that he'll throw him out anyway, because I don't think that we'll be done by then.

hendrake
2010-10-19, 03:03 PM
That looks nasty.

greatscott
2010-10-19, 04:08 PM
Hmm. Probably just me, but the new hair makes Haley look fat IMO.

Strange thing to say about a stick figure I know...

Lix Lorn
2010-10-19, 04:27 PM
'Does this magically enhanced hair make me look fat?'

crumbpants
2010-10-19, 05:02 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Also, anyone curious as to why Tarquin is worried about Haley looking "her very best"? I know it says because she will be sitting next to Elan, but I think that something more sinister may be going on here.

Is Tarquin interested in Haley? Or maybe there is something special in the cosmetics?

... just thoughts...

Could just be a strip to explain when Haley's hair goes back to being long.

Cerlis
2010-10-19, 05:14 PM
I dont think the last panel was Rich clarifying something through haley or just a joke. it is either an ironic statment (of Haley doesnt realized she "regressed") or her bluffing Elan. She is back to her old ways of lying to others to do what she thinks is best, thus back to her pre-trust-elan-or-anyone-else-but-V stint

MrRigger
2010-10-19, 05:34 PM
So, is Blackwing still off "playing" with Mr. Scruffy? I didn't notice him on V's shoulder in this comic, and considering V is doing a lot better with remembering his familiar nowadays, I'm wondering what happened to him. Did Mr. Scruffy turn the wand back on Blackwing? Is he currently off distracted by his shiny bauble? What happened to the Raven?

MrRigger

Dancing_Fox
2010-10-19, 05:41 PM
Anyone other than me is worried about the fact a beauty girl (non warrior) NPC can ambush a skilled rogue like Haley and V´elves senses WITHOUT EVEN TRYING? (Fixed quote)

Not really. First, it wasn't really an ambush - that was just an overreaction on the part of our heros. Second, it is totally plausible that an ordinary person can sit inside a room quietly, and that the best senses in the world would not pick up on it, unless they were actively listening for it and suspicious - which they weren't. They were just returning to their room.

Agree with earlier poster. Cutting hair doesn't *undo* character growth.

Why did Elan have to say "shove?" That's a thoughtlessly rough double entendre - if that is what was intended. So many other words could have been used. (And yes, I know Elan doesn't think things through.)

Bring on the next strip.

Gd8908
2010-10-19, 05:43 PM
CRAP... paging Mr. Scissorhands... Edward Scissorhands! We need you!
really funny comic! :smallbiggrin: Loved it!
P.S. Bet something dramatic/important happens at the festival!

JoeSkull
2010-10-19, 05:53 PM
P.S. Bet something dramatic/important happens at the festival!

Wow, thats quite a limb you are going out on there, also know as the trunk.:smalltongue:

Pyron
2010-10-19, 06:07 PM

Well, the beautician could be a high level rouge (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0711.html), herself.

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 06:16 PM
Maybe she had on some vanishing cream?

Sijo
2010-10-19, 07:03 PM
Eeh, after the last few interesting strips, I found this one boring. Plus will we be treated to several strips of Haley tripping all over her hair now? Was the Giant inspired by the ads for Disney's Rapunzel Tangled? :smallannoyed:

Prospekt
2010-10-19, 07:46 PM
Maybe she's just gonna get it cut back to its original length. Or would that be too absurd?

Sylthia
2010-10-19, 10:45 PM
Perhaps the Star Wars allusions will continue in the form of some Princess Leia style hair for Haley for the parade.

cho_j
2010-10-19, 11:44 PM
Unless you crack the Stegnography!

Then he's in all of them.

Him or Bea Arthur.

Man, I wish there was a like button or something of that sort on GitP! Basically, I just giggled aloud at your comment. Luckily, no one else is in the room.

Me!
2010-10-20, 03:48 AM
FINALLY!!! After 142 pages with short hair! HALEY IS BACK!!! :haley:

suszterpatt
2010-10-20, 04:46 AM
I just noticed V was trying to cast a spell while Haley was aiming her arrow. I didnt even notice s/he even was in panels 2# and 3# since I was so focused on Haley : lWe've seen V "charge up" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0597.html) without actually casting a spell before. It's just his equivalent of readying a bow.

Grogmir
2010-10-20, 06:53 AM
'fraid to say I didn't enjoy that one. I had no desire to get so personal with haley - even if this is an 'adult' comic - which tbh I thought it was more aimed at kids. Why sexualise Haley? What has the story gained? Its becoming yet another - two main characters have a relationship plot? Is this a soap opera?

Oh and the ''Shove some more in'?' Is truly truly awful. The kinda stuff I hear from 14 year old, prepubescent boys.

Sorry Rich, can't please everyone I guess.

zyborg
2010-10-20, 07:52 AM
I liked this one. It actually shows that there are more sides to the characters. Elan isn't just 'a little kid', he's actually an adult who has childish tendencies. And Haley may be a tough warrior, but she's not without her weaknesses.

Lilivati
2010-10-20, 08:49 AM
I gotta admit as a long-haired girl myself the FIRST thing I thought of upon finishing this comic was "some things are just not as comfortable as Hollywood makes you think". >_>

redzimmer
2010-10-20, 10:57 AM
"It's not fanservice if the person in question is acting in-character."

Little known fact.

Dolarodus
2010-10-20, 12:31 PM
Time for Elan to start singing.

Mr Sun came out and he smiled at me.
He said it's gonna be a good one just wait and see!
Jumped out of bed and I ran outside feeling so extra exstatified!

It's the Best day ever! (Best day ever)

I'm so busy got nothing to do, spent the last two hours just tying my shoe.
Every flower every grain of sand, is reaching out to shake my hand.

Sometimes the little things start closing in on me, when I'm feeling down I wanna lose that frown I stick my head out the window and look around.
Those clouds don't scare me they can't disguise, this magic that's happening right before my eyes.
Soon Mr. Moon will be shining bright so the best day ever will last all night.
Yes the Best day ever's gonna last all night now.

It's the Best day ever (Best day ever)
It's the Best day ever (Best day ever)
(Best day ever)
(Best day...)
:smile:-----:smile::smile::smile::smile:-----:smile:
--:smile:---:smile: :smalltongue:-:smalltongue: :smile:---:smile:
----:smile:-:smile::smile::smile::smile:-:smile:
--------.:sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh:
--------.:sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh:
------------:smile: :smile:
------------:smile: :smile:
---------:cool::cool: :cool::cool:

Shale
2010-10-20, 01:44 PM
"It's not fanservice if the person in question is acting in-character."

Little known fact.

So shower scenes aren't fanservice?

rewinn
2010-10-20, 03:29 PM
After a lengthy day freeing slaves, which is a massively Good thing to do, isn't Haley entitled to a roll on Treasure Table O ?

Stmr5000
2010-10-20, 04:53 PM
I really did not like this strip. At all. It didn't accomplish anything by way of "Advance the plot". Yes, I know that some people have felt that way about several of the last few strips, but let's compare with the last ten.

742: Helps flesh out the atmosphere of the continent, and Tarquin's personality.
743: Shows that Haley is not going to be fully honest with Tarquin.
744: Further explains that, and shows that the characters haven't completely forgotten about their leader and pet psycho.
745: Explains why the other prisoner's haven't killed Belkar.
746: Gives Roy a hope spot of not getting in the arena.
747: Shows what V has been attempting to do to solve the problem, and punch's gigantic holes in Haley's flawed logic.
748: Show's that Roy and Enor will be fighting in the arena, despite Roy's efforts.
749: Haley admits that she might be wrong about Tarquin, but intends to free slaves anyway.
750: Very effectively shows what all the characters are doing throughout the day (definitely one of my favorite strips).
751: Shows a (possibly fake) reason for Tarquin leaving, and some dramatic foreshadowing.
752: Haley grows out her hair. Lame puns. Huh...

mucat
2010-10-20, 05:16 PM
I really did not like this strip. At all. It didn't accomplish anything by way of "Advance the plot".
752: Haley grows out her hair. Lame puns. Huh...

If you say so. I never understand why people expect each strip to "advance the plot" in the first place...but even if that is a legitimate goal, I would score this one more along the lines of

752: Elan, Hayley, and V all decompress from the day's events (Familial bonding and slave liberation) and shift their focus to the to the upcoming parade, where in all likelihood Big Things Will Happen. Hayley gets an art update which is also a posthumous dig at Crystal, shifting her focus back from "badass revolutionary" to "badass revolotuionary who is also funny and a little bit immature," which may be the mode she needs to be in for upcoming events to play out properly.

Also, she almost shoots an unarmed civilian, further reminding Hayley herself as well as the reader that it's time to shift back from Overt Rebel mode to Undercover VIP Guest mode.

Marnath
2010-10-20, 06:06 PM
'fraid to say I didn't enjoy that one. I had no desire to get so personal with haley - even if this is an 'adult' comic - which tbh I thought it was more aimed at kids. Why sexualise Haley? What has the story gained? Its becoming yet another - two main characters have a relationship plot? Is this a soap opera?

I don't think you understand the difference between sexualizing a character and including romance to an adult relationship.

Oh and the ''Shove some more in'?' Is truly truly awful. The kinda stuff I hear from 14 year old, prepubescent boys.

Sorry Rich, can't please everyone I guess.

Did you miss the part where he's got the mental abilites of a kid about that age, or a little younger? It's in character. So is "mommy."

Grogmir
2010-10-21, 04:21 AM
I don't think you understand the difference between sexualizing a character and including romance to an adult relationship.

Then I look forward to seeing Elan in his thong next strip, Oh thats been passed over. or is it just Haley that gets this treatment?
Having you main characters get together has been done, its old, its done nothing for oots other than abring cheap sexual jokes to the fore. I thought this was a comic about DnD?

Shove.... It's in character.

As another thread points out I think its the word shove I disagree with, replace with slip or even squeeze and its child-like and puntastic. 'Shove' however has conatations with violence imo, something definately not in Elans mental ablilites or supposed to be implied in their relationship.

My 2p, anyway - new strip now.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-21, 06:04 AM
Things I liked about this comic:

-Haley got her old hair style back.
-Nude Haley on the bed in a pinup style (I don't care if she's a stick figure, red heads are hot)

Things I want to see:

-Belkar looking like a dwarf making fun of Durkon with Haley's excess hair.

Marnath
2010-10-21, 11:00 PM
Then I look forward to seeing Elan in his thong next strip, Oh thats been passed over. or is it just Haley that gets this treatment?

........Roy and Belkar have been walking around in loinclothes for like twenty strips now.:smallconfused:

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-22, 12:57 AM
........Roy and Belkar have been walking around in loinclothes for like twenty strips now.:smallconfused:
Not to mention Elan being seen fully naked at least a couple of times.

Dinocarl
2010-10-22, 07:18 AM
Wow, I had no idea that there were such prudes that a little suggestion of intimacy between a well-established couple would be offensive to some. It's not like it was graphic or anything, and I think it was sweet.

That said, I think that Haley's magical hair is NOT permenant, and might not even be seen again. I think it was a bit of fun, role playing in a role-playing game. Also, it achieves the goal of covering up her activities for the day, at least by distracting Elan.

And the pun was worth the price of admission. Ease up, people!