PDA

View Full Version : Paladin question

Unemployedninja
2010-10-18, 01:47 PM
So hey guys I'm new to D&D and I wanted to know what the paladin spell bless weapon did. I looked at the spell in the player handbook 3.5. If you could clarify what the spell did thanks.

vampire2948
2010-10-18, 01:52 PM
It does three things:

1) Makes all your crit hits auto-confirm.
2) Makes your weapon count as a +1 weapon for bypassing the DR of Evil. So if an evil creature has DR X/+1, you bypass it. (Not sure if this makes you bypass DR X/Magic... think it does, though. Only for Evil creatures.)
3) Makes your weapon Good Aligned for bypassing DR. So if a creature has DR X/Good, you bypass it.

Edit : Changed that.

Edit2 : Ninja'd while I edited D:

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-18, 01:55 PM
It does three things:

1) Makes all your crit hits auto-confirm.
2) Makes your weapon count as a +1 weapon for bypassing the DR of Evil. So if an evil creature has DR X/+1, you bypass it.
3) Makes your weapon Good Aligned for bypassing DR. So if a creature has DR X/Good, you bypass it.

2. Minor correction, it's DR/Magic in D&D 3.5, DR/+X was lost after 3.0. It also overcomes DR/Good.

I AM TEH NINJAAAA!!!! :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2010-10-18, 01:57 PM
Bless Weapon does 2 things.

First, it makes the weapon considered [Magic] and [Good]. This does 2 things. First, it allows the weapon to bypass certain Damage Reductions (DR). If you look at the DR of say, a Hezeru (type of demon), you need [Good] aligned weapon to bypass its DR. If you don't, the Hezeru ignores the first 10 points of damage PER HIT. The other thing being magical allows the weapon to do is to damage Incorporial creatures. Non-magical weapon have 0 chance to hurt an incorporial creature. Magical weapons have a 50% chance to damage an incorporial creature. Bless weapon make the weapon magical, assuming it wasn't already.

The other thing Bless Weapon does, is it autoconfirms criticals. Normally, when you roll a number in the critical threat range of the weapon (19-20 for a longsword, 20 for a battle axe, etc), you have to roll again. If the 2nd roll is a hit, the hit is a critical hit. If the target is evil, though, and you have Bless Weapon on your weapon, then the 2nd roll is automatically considered to be a success and there is no need to roll it.

Feliks878
2010-10-18, 01:59 PM
Edit: Meh, I made mistakes and other people explained it better anyway.