PDA

View Full Version : Spellthief/Sorc Spell Selection

Rasman
2010-10-18, 04:24 PM
Currently I'm working on a Spellthief1/Sorc4/Unseen Seer2/Spellwarp Sniper5/Arcane Trickster8 build and I'm currently working on the spell selection, but I'm having trouble choosing because of the theme and the requirements for spellwarp spells. I thought I'd come to the Playground and ask for some help, just in case I missed spells or there are spells out of splatbooks I don't know about, my current list of possible spells are as follows.

- 0 Level -
Detect Magic
Read Magic
Mage Hand
Ray of Frost
Ghost Sound
Dancing Lights
Prestidigitation
Launch Bolt

- 1st level -
True Strike
Sniper's Shot
Wall of Smoke
Ray of Flame
Orb of Sound, Lesser
Ray of Enfeeblement
Backbitter
Targeting Ray

- 2nd Level -
Invisibility
Ray of Ice
Seeking Ray
Scorching Ray
Blast of Force
Electric Loop
Hail Stones
Ice Knife
Ghoul Glyph
Flame Dagger
Phantasmal Assailant
Ray of Stupidity
Rainbow Beam
Distracting Ray
Create Magic Tattoo
Chain of Eyes
Night Shield

- 3rd Level -
Cloud of Knives
Heatstroke
Great Thunderclap
Rainbow Blast
Ice Lance
Acid Breath
Rust Ray
Blacklight
Resonating Bolt
Mind Poison
Ray of the Python

I'm starting at level 7, so that's as far as I've looked so far. Is there anything huge that I missed for this that EVERY caster should have and such?

Adrayll
2010-10-18, 07:20 PM
Depending on how much you want to work the spellthief's spell-thieving, there's a first level sorc/wiz spell called Distract Assailant that instantly puts an opponent flat-footed if they fail a will save. As a swift action. And then you may sneak attack them. To steal spells :smallcool:

Road_Runner
2010-10-18, 07:48 PM
One thing to point out: (I'm also playing a Spellthief, but straight Spellthief)

I'm assuming you're taking Master Spellthief, and yet I notice you only have 1 level in the Spellthief class. Keep in mind that Master Spellthief very clearly states it only improves your spellthief level for the purposes of the maximum spell you can steal, not the maximum amount of spell levels you can hold.

So the highest level spell you can "steal" with that build is 1st level.

Keld Denar
2010-10-18, 08:01 PM
BTW, Cloud of Knives is a 2nd level spell, not 3rd...and a MUST HAVE. On the first round you cast it, its an attack spell that you get SA on. Every round after that, you get essentially a FREE sneak attack for CL rounds.

Best thing? Its only 2nd level, and thus Persisting it is an 8th level slot. Thats right...free SA EVERY ROUND FOREVER. Granted, thats like 17th level for you (16th level for a normal Sorcerer to cast 8ths, plus one level lost to Spellthief), but still.

Rasman
2010-10-18, 08:37 PM
One thing to point out: (I'm also playing a Spellthief, but straight Spellthief)

I'm assuming you're taking Master Spellthief, and yet I notice you only have 1 level in the Spellthief class. Keep in mind that Master Spellthief very clearly states it only improves your spellthief level for the purposes of the maximum spell you can steal, not the maximum amount of spell levels you can hold.

So the highest level spell you can "steal" with that build is 1st level.

that's all interpretation, tbh...besides, at the very least, i can steal buffs off of casters

and that's not my big pony trick anyway, it's nice, but not what I"m most worried about

BTW, Cloud of Knives is a 2nd level spell, not 3rd...and a MUST HAVE. On the first round you cast it, its an attack spell that you get SA on. Every round after that, you get essentially a FREE sneak attack for CL rounds.

Best thing? Its only 2nd level, and thus Persisting it is an 8th level slot. Thats right...free SA EVERY ROUND FOREVER. Granted, thats like 17th level for you (16th level for a normal Sorcerer to cast 8ths, plus one level lost to Spellthief), but still.

oh snap...you're right!

makes my spell selection harder though...

Adrayll
2010-10-18, 09:04 PM

What book is Master Spellthief in?

Road_Runner
2010-10-18, 09:06 PM
that's all interpretation, tbh...besides, at the very least, i can steal buffs off of casters

You could *maybe* debate Master Spellthief RAI (it does seem like a bit of an oversight, but yet it also is likely to be intentional because a caster could lose 1 level to get full spellstealing ability), but I don't see how you debate it RAW.

Ignoring that, how do you steal buffs off casters? That's a 2nd level spellthief ability.

(Sorry if I come across a little harshly, it just annoys me to death that I seem to be one of the few spellthiefs who actually plays by the rules of Master Spellthief).

Rasman
2010-10-18, 10:19 PM
You could *maybe* debate Master Spellthief RAI (it does seem like a bit of an oversight, but yet it also is likely to be intentional because a caster could lose 1 level to get full spellstealing ability), but I don't see how you debate it RAW.

Ignoring that, how do you steal buffs off casters? That's a 2nd level spellthief ability.

(Sorry if I come across a little harshly, it just annoys me to death that I seem to be one of the few spellthiefs who actually plays by the rules of Master Spellthief).

ah, guess i was rolling up the two abilities together, frankly this is the first time I've used the class and it was only JUST suggested to me as an alternate to Rogue for this build and I felt it fit

What book is Master Spellthief in?

Complete Scoundrel

Psyren
2010-10-18, 11:01 PM
Ghostly Tail is a 1st-level spell that gives you a... ghostly tail that you can make AoOs with (2d6 + sneak per hit). The attacks it makes are touch attacks. Lasts hours/level.

Wings of Cover belongs in every sorcerer build. 2nd-level. Both are in RotD.