PDA

View Full Version : To Make Our Destiny [IC]

Chambers
2010-10-18, 06:05 PM
To Make Our Destiny

Cannith Mansion, Sharn
Sul, Third Week of Eyre

An early morning spring breeze plays with the long, red curtains in the library of House Cannith. It has been three days since you awakened in the small hospital in the mansion, lying in separate beds next to each other. This mission had been the worst one yet. Tasked with retrieving an ancient tome lost on during the Last War, the trip into the heart of the Mournlands was dangerous enough. Finding the ruined city was easy compared to fighting through it's crazed inhabitants - warforged dedicated to the Lord of Blades.

Once past the ruins defenders the temple itself became an enemy. Deadfalls and forgotten traps nearly claimed your lives, and once you had finally found the tome, a dark shape flew overhead, waiting for you to remerge from the temple. The last you remember was the dragons breath as it covered you, burning the air and the sounds of your companions screaming in pain.

Waking up in the hospital, the heat from the dragon seemed like a fading memory. What was clear was that one of you had did not lay with you. Jillek, the stout warrior, had stood in front of the dragon, charging it even as it breathed.

Jons came by that first day you awakened, his head low and face sad. We couldn't save him. There was....there was nothing left to save. Excusing himself for the sake of your recovery, he left you to rest in the hospital. Three days have passed and your wounds have healed, though your muscles are still stiff and sore. Jons has asked you to the library, to speak with you all, to talk.

Interact with each other for a bit. Assume it's a fancy library with many couches and a nice view from the windows. There is food and such.

dragonsamurai77
2010-10-18, 06:33 PM
Uhhh... Vimak said, getting up slowly. That was no ordinary opponent. Jillek... The normally stout Goliath bursts into tears.

Zore
2010-10-18, 07:04 PM
"There was nothing we could have done," Jerron said as he flexed his right shoulder. He shuddered slightly at the memory. "The house should have learned by now. Our group never arrives back without serious injury, it was only a matter of time to this. Especially if they keep sending us into more and more danger." He punched the wall next to a window, the strange magical blue gauntlets he had manifested blackening the stone with an electric discharge. He didn't turn, just leaned against the wall with his arms.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-18, 07:11 PM
Even Isgrigg looks somber as the group gathers again, memories of Jillek hanging in the air between them. Isgrigg paces through the library, grumbling at the ground in front of him. Uncharacteristically, he hasn't even touched the food.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-19, 03:19 AM
lessa wasn't speaking, uncharacteristically quiet. She sat, arms around her knees, curled up, upon one of the soft couches.

mangosta71
2010-10-19, 09:37 AM
Javier regains consciousness slowly. His features shift into those of Inato as he shakes grogginess from his head. He stumbles stiffly toward the banquet table and pours himself a glass of wine. "To our fallen comrade."

Lix Lorn
2010-10-19, 09:51 AM
"Yeah..." murmured Lessa, downcast. Rika lay at her feet, a sad expression on her muzzle.

Chambers
2010-10-19, 01:08 PM
Jons walks into the library, pauses as he sees you all in quiet solace. He moves slowly towards Javier and the table, pours himself a tall shot of House Kundarak fire whiskey. "To Jillek." he says softly, and knocks back the shot.

He grimaces for a moment and then places the empty glass on table. "I...I'm sorry that this happened." He says, eyes on the ground. The wrinkles and creases around his eyes scrunch up as he squeezes his eyes closed. His long brown hair shows only a few grey streaks, though his movements are still sure and steady as he approaches middle age.

"We got worried when you hadn't returned after a few weeks. So I went out with some House guards, we took Cannith Two, as you had flown our first airship there. We got there, and...whatever it was that had..." He swallows hard. "Whatever it was that killed you had...it apparently was hungry afterwards."

He shakes his head, as if trying to clear a memory. "We found enough to bring you back...but Jillek...all we found was his House cloak and a dark stain on the ground." He looks up at you all, his eyes moist. "I'm sorry we couldn't save him."

Lix Lorn
2010-10-19, 01:12 PM
Lessa's eyes went wide as he started talking, and her lip started to tremble as he finished, on the edge of crying.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-19, 02:32 PM
Isgrigg's fists clench and his jaw tightens, his head tilted down, clearly holding back a wave of anger.

Chambers
2010-10-20, 05:53 PM
Jons opens his mouth as if about to say something, then closes it and shakes his head. He reaches into his jacket and pulls out a handful of small pouches. "I know it's no consolation..." He looks at the bags then back at you all. "...but here's your pay." He drops the pouches on the table and jerks his hand away, as if the touch of them disturbed him. They land on the table with a loud clink.

"I haven't heard from the higher ups what they're going to do about...er, Jillek. Someone suggested a ceremony, though we'd need a centograph, because....well." He coughs and looks away. "I'm guessing you all want to be there. We'll probably hold it sometime this week. If you have any ideas, please, let me know." He moves over to the window and holds the curtain open, looking out at the view. He takes a deep breath in and holds it, releases it.

Moving away from the window, he puts his hands on the back of the couch. "If you think of anything, let me know. Otherwise...I don't have anything else for you today."

From here I'm kinda setting you loose. You can stay and yell at Jons, or talk to him and try and find out more info. Or leave and go back to your lives individually, or together with other people.

Plan [OOC] for a few days [IC] of city life before the memorial service. Or do something besides the memorial service. That's just what I've got planned, but I'm flexible and I'll adapt to whatever you guys want to do.

Also, this ranks as the most depressing start [IC] to a game I've ever ran/played.

dragonsamurai77
2010-10-20, 06:01 PM
What's done is done. We should get back to our lives, for at least a few days. I will see you all at the ceremony.

Vimak returns to his training hall, devestated but still able to train.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-20, 06:04 PM
"Yeah..." says Lessa, dejected. She sits on Rika's back, too down to fly, and the large Weasel starts to walk away.

Zore
2010-10-20, 07:06 PM
Jerron turns, anger lacing his voice as he spits, "Thats it then. Jillek is to just be forgotten, swept under the rug like so much garbage? He deserves better than that, he was a hero! He saved all our lives and gave up his own. And for what?" He breathes deeply for a moment, the mystical auras surrounding him pulsating slightly with each breath.

"I suggest you tell the higher-ups that we cannot handle the situations they've been throwing us at. All of us are going to end up like Jillek if we keep doing this every few weeks. I will honor my contract with the house, but rest assured I will endeavor to do everything in my power to stop this once it ends." With cold precision he takes his pay and exits, his movements controlled and rigid.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-21, 10:36 PM
Isgrigg grabs one of the bags of money on the table and dejectedly walks out the door. Once outside he takes a single motion, hopping into the air and raising his arms, and a brief moment later, a great eagle with golden plumage flaps away, soaring through the city toward the lower parts of town. There was a bar there would be the perfect place to drink away his woes and tell tales celebrating the brave warrior's life.

mangosta71
2010-10-23, 10:14 PM
"Inato" drains his glass slowly and sets it down on the table before picking up his bag of coin. His eyes follow Jerron as he storms out. His voice is uncharacteristically somber and subdued as he mutters, "I wonder what more he expects us to do." Shaking his head, he tucks the small purse under his tunic and walks out.

After leaving House Cannith grounds, he ambles through the streets for a while before ducking into an alley behind a tavern. When he exits a few moments later, he is wearing the face and garb of a servant sent to market. He continues toward House Phiarlan's estate, shifting back into the guise of Inato upon arriving and knocking on the door. "Good day, Vanin. I need to see Elaina, if she's home. I'll wait if she's not."

Chambers
2010-10-24, 05:29 PM
Vimak

The streets of Sharn are quiet this morning and the sun moves to hide behind a cloud as you return to the House of a Thousand Blades. Inside you can hear the grunts and hard slaps as students practice their morning katas. Three students train with Rurik - the only three students you have besides the dwarf. All three are dressed in loose white robes, surrounding and slowly circling the dwarf in his black robe. Helen shouts and rushes Rurik but the dwarf twists and side steps and the human goes flying into the crash pad on the wall. Rel and Pon smile at each other and come at Rurik at the same time. He shoots low under Pon, catching his legs and throwing him into Rel. The two hobgoblins crash into each other and fall in a pile on the mat. Rurik jumps up and smiles at the students. He opens his mouth to speak but sees you out of the corner of his eye. He snaps to attention and calls out "Sensei!" He bows low and the other students scramble to their feet, each bowing low. Though the collection of sword and weapons on the wall do not truly match the number the name of the hall proclaims, the long wall holds well over a hundred blades and weapons of all types.

Rurik turns to the students. "Better. But you showed me where you moved before you got there." He raises an eyebrow at the hobgoblin brothers. "Practice...not thinking. Shouldn't be too hard for you two." Helen smirks as the brothers grimace.

He turns to you. "Master Vimak, I am glad you have returned. They do not learn much from me..." He smiles a bit. "...but they do grow tougher from falling." He leans in closer, a worried look on his face. "I...was worried that you had been gone so long." He says in a low voice.

Lessa

Rika takes you through the streets of Sharn, the sight causing more than a few smiles and grins. Familiar to the halfling guards at the Jorasco Mansion they let you in without a word. No children are outside playing today and the House seems empty and alone. You find Lady Marbarith out back in her garden, sitting in a lawn chair, her knitting forgotten on her lap as she dozes in the early morning shade.

Rika noses her hand and she wakes up. She squints and mutters while she finds her glasses, then smiles at you and the weasel. "Oh, hello dearie! I'm so glad to see you again." She reaches into her pocket and pulls out a bit of biscuit. "And I'm glad to see you too Miss Rika." She says as she feeds the biscuit to the weasel.

This part of the garden is mostly herbs and flower bushes and Lady Marbarith spends most of her time here. In your absences it has grown a bit wild, but nothing that a few days work couldn't repair. She looks over the garden and tsks. "I know it's a mess dear, but I just couldn't bear the thought of someone else tampering with your work while you were away. But don't worry about that right now, you can get fix it up later. This afternoon, perhaps? Tell me about your travels."

Jerron

The few people in the quiet streets give you a wide berth as your anger is clear to see, the aura around you flaring and sparking in response to your mood. Back in your room you find it as you left it; stacks of books and scrolls piled wherever they can fit. A single envelope is on the floor, the unbroken wax seal showing the impression of two faces, one laughing, the other crying. A letter from Jin. Inside is a single page of thin paper with her elegant script.

Dearest Sir,
I have found an item that may be relative to your interests. It has been reserved for you at the library, awaiting your pleasure.

The note is not signed, but you are familiar with Jin's cant. She has apparently found a book of mysteries that she thought you'd appreciate and has left it at Xorn's bookshop for you to purchase.

Isgrigg

The manifest flight zone of Sharn is a boon to natural fliers and the air seems to carry and lift you as if holding you aloft. Sharn's towers speed past as you dive past them, flying deeper to the lower parts of Sharn. Before your claws touch the ground they melt into paws and the predator rolls and springs, landing on two feet. The bars down here are cheaper and more open to "artistic expression", caring less about rowdy and boisterous behavior than the fancier taverns higher up. It's too early for most people in Sharn to be sitting in a bar, but the Red Eye Mistress stays open all night and does a brisk morning business.

A figure stumbles out of an alley wrapped in heavy layers. You recognize him instantly as Zerrick Voor and he falls into step with you as you enter the bar, placing an arm around your shoulder. "Ah, g'day to you sir, on this fine morning." He says and you can smell the old wine on his breath. "I was just thinking to myself earlier...self, where has that Isgrigg fellow gotten to? Haven't seen you in a month of sul's, son!" He pushes open the doors and the bar inside is about half-filled with patrons. Some are drinking, but most of them are eating from the breakfast buffet the Red Eye Mistress serves.

One of the servers sees Voor walk in and grimaces, starts to talk but closes her mouth when Voor flips a silver coin at her. "I've got my own this morning, thank ye." She nods and hands him a plate. He fills it up with a pile of food, sauages, bacon, biscuits, gravy, eggs, ham, flapjacks and fruit. "Sit down son." He says in between bites, sitting down at a table. "Tell me where ya been." He raises an eye and smiles.

Inato

The butler merely nods and steps aside. "She is home, sir, and I will announce you to her - " The butler is cut off as Elania appears at the top of the spiral staircase. She glances at Vanin and the man bows slightly and walks off. Elania looks down at you, half-hiding a smile. "Hello, stranger. Welcome to my House. You appear familiar...have we met before?" She says as she glides down the stairs, her slik house robes changing into a more proper dress...though perhaps more form fitting then the robe. She pauses at the bottom stair and looks over you, her playful expression changing to a worried look. "I...I heard about what happened." She pauses, watching you as if gauging your reaction. "I'm sorry for your loss."

dragonsamurai77
2010-10-24, 05:35 PM
Rurik... It finally happened. We suffered our first loss. The rest of us just got out of the hospital yesterday. The funeral will be later this week.

But, that is not our concern now. We have much work to do. Now, try to move me!

Vimak grabs a training axe and assumes a low stance, daring his students to displace him.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-24, 05:54 PM
"Jillek's dead..." she said, with uncharacteristic mopiness.

Zore
2010-10-24, 05:56 PM
Jerron held the note in hand and glanced around the room to see if Jin had left any other surprises while he had been gone. Unable to tell, the piles of books and scrolls had begun to run together over the months, he shrugged and decided to ask her again when he saw her.

Sitting down at his tiny desk, he slumped down in his rather creaky wooden chair. Thoughts of Jillek danced through his head as he attempted, in vain, to focus on an obscure scroll that was half burned away. In the parts that were still whole it mentioned something about 'A sword manifest... large to smite... aos and dis... ower of sou...'. But it was largely unreadable. That single sentence resonated with him more than almost any other he had read so the scroll stayed on the desk while countless others had been swept away to piles on the floor or out the door. With his current mood however, there was no use gleaning anything new from it so he let it slip through his fingers and back onto the desk.

Sighing and running his hands through his hair, Jerron rose and collected a plain cloak that he had tossed haphazardly into a corner the last time he'd been collected for a mission. Swinging it around his shoulders, he began the short walk to Xorn's shop, hoping spending time with the Warforged would help distract him from his rather dark mood.

When he reached the door he entered. The main room was deserted, and Jerron headed to the back room where Xorn was seated reading some leather-bound book.

"Hello Xorn, I got Jin's note. Is this one real or is she trying to pawn off another common book of spells on me?" Jerron asked as he took off his cloak. "I hope she found something worthwhile, this magic seems to have gotten stronger again."

mangosta71
2010-10-24, 07:00 PM
Inato shakes his head with a wry grin. "I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that you know more about what happened than I do. Hells, I don't even know how long I was in the hospital this time." He steps forward and pulls Elaina into a tight embrace. "But right now, I don't care. I just want to forget about the world for a while."

Admiral Squish
2010-10-24, 08:02 PM
Isgrigg finds himself quickly taken in by Zerrick's usual way of doing things and before he knows it, he's sitting across from the elderly elf. He gives his head a shake and sighs. Reaching into his pouch, he gestures one of the servers over and hands her a gold peice. "Keep the drinks coming. It's been a rough day." He said, before turning back to Zerrick. "Jillek died during the last mission. Me and the rest of the team just got out of the hospital today." He explained with a heavy sigh.

Chambers
2010-10-25, 05:29 PM
Vimak

Rurik nods and takes staff from off the wall. Helen selects a wooden longsword and the hobgoblin brothers each choose a wooden polearm, a glaive for Pon and ranseur for Rel.

Rurik lets the three younger students go first. They each rush you, first individually, and then together in a concerted attack. Each time you're able to dodge and reflect their attacks, sending them crashing to the mat with your ripostes. Rurik steps away from the wall and spins the staff in both hands. He catches it and bows to you, assumes a fighting stance. The duel between you and Rurik lasts longer than your previous sparring matches, but in the end he lays on the floor, dazed and winded.

The other three help him up, each slightly limping, though you only suffered a few bruises. Rurik and the students bow to you. "Whew...that was tough." He catches his breath and leans on the staff. "Haven't had a workout like that in...well, since you left."

Lessa

"Oh, that's too bad, dearie. Well...why don't you plant some flowers for him?" She smiles and squuezes your shoulder. "I just happen to have some new fellows waiting to be planted." She says, nodding over her shoulder. In a corner of the garden you see a dozen flower plants in pots, some larger than you. "Just got here yesterday, and I was so worried that they'd die off before you got back here."

She picks up her knitting, what appears to be some kind of horribly colored bright orange and lavender sweater, but interrupts herself. "Actually, those roses over there are the same kind that we planted when my husband died. Had a terrible accident, he did." She motions towards the back row of the garden where tall red rose bushes line the wall. She goes back to her knitting, the needles clacking against each other. "Fell off the skyway. It was very tragic." She says, almost absently, as if talking about someones lost cat.

Jerron

"Hello, friend Jerron." Xorn says, not getting up from his seat. "Would you care for some customary refreshments?" The warforged wizard has studied the written and unwritten rules of etiquette in society and strives to follow them, though often with amusing results. Lately he has been trying to prepare tea, biscuits, and other small desserts for his visitors, but his lack of understanding about flavor leaves much to be desired.

With a wave of his hand a silver service tray floats over and rests on a sideboard next to his desk. There's a pot of what smells like very strong tea and a dozen orange biscuits. "Please be seated and rest yourself." He says, indicating the chair on your side of the desk.

"Regarding your query, the one known as Jin has found a book that fits your definition of 'worthwhile'. Though the book does contain spells, they are spells that I have neither heard of nor seen before." He closes the book he was reading and hands it to you. "Please inspect the aforementioned book."

It's a thin leather volume, rough handled but still holding together. There is no title on the outside, but the first page says, Meditations on the Glowing Chasm. A diary and thought journal. There is no authors name. Xorn sits patiently while you flip through it. The first fourty pages or so seem to be about the authors journey to the glowing chasm in the mournelands. There the author conducted some extensive magical experiments and observations on the glowing chasm itself. Flipping near the back of the book you see what you recognize to be spells.

"The spells that I presume you have seen now are apparently spells that manipulate the energy of the glowing chasm. I have read the book and am led to believe that the power of the glowing chasm and your powers are related. Please allow me to demonstrate by casting a spell that I studied from that book. I assure you to the best of my knowledge it is non-harmful."

Isgrigg

Verrick frowns and but doesn't slow his eating as he listens to you. He wipes a piece of egg from his mouth. "I'm real sorry about that son, real sorry. When you get to be as old as me, some people just don't care that much about people dyin and such. But not me." His eyes get red and watery. "I wish we didn't have to live in a world like this, with dangerous creatures lyin in wait to steal a young mans life from him." He looks in his cup, and nods, then gets up and stands on the table. "Hey! Everyone! Settle down for a minute!" The bartender groans and starts to reach under the bar for something, but Verrick spots him and says, "Hey there, I see ya. I ain't drunk. I'm serious. My friend Isgrigg here..." He points at you with his cup "...lost his boon companion in fierce battle. A loyal warrior and steadfast friend!" He shouts, and the bartender's face softens and he brings his empty hands back up.

The bar quiets and all eyes are on you and Verrick. Mostly Verrick. "So hold your tongues a moment out of respect, then raise your cups." He eyes the partons with a serious if not steady eye. Apparently satisfied, he closes his eyes and bows his head for a moment. The whole bar is silent for about three heartbeats and then Verrick downs the rest of his cup and then smashes it on the wooden floor. The bartender's eyes widen with surprise as everyone else in the bar follows suit. Verrick glances at the bartender, then hops down from the table. "I...er, hope you have money for that, friend." He motions his head towards the bartender who is striding over to the table.

Inato

Elaina looks at you for a moment, then nods, moving into your arms. "Okay...I can help you with that." She says, a smile forming on her lips.

Some time later, she comes back into the bedroom, putting her hair back in place. "If you've got the energy, I've got a job that I could use some help with." She walks over to her vanity and continues fixing her hair. "Nothing rough. I just need an escort for a House ball tonight. It's his Lordships birthday and he wants to have a masquerade ball. He always did love a touch of irony."

She turns around on her seat and looks at you. "Come as you, or someone like you, if you like." She stares at you a moment, trying to read you. "Or screw the ball and we can do something else. Or if you have other plans, I suppose I could fine another strapping young man to escort me..." She says teasing.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-25, 05:43 PM
Lessa blinked at the absurdity of that statement, and giggled slightly. She jumped gently of Rika's back, petted her gently, and approached the flowers. It would be a good tribute to an old friend...

dragonsamurai77
2010-10-25, 05:48 PM
You are improving, however slightly. But, you are still dancing around too much! We are the Stone Dragon! You must remember to always keep your connection to the ground. One strong strike is better than a thousand weak ones. Now, show me your strongest blow!

Vimak wheels out the large training dummy used to build strength.

mangosta71
2010-10-25, 06:11 PM
Inato heaves a put-upon sigh. "I was going to paint my toenails tonight," he says, extending a leg and pointing toward Elaina with his foot. "You know how important such things are for people in our position. But," he grins as the nails flash from green to purple and through pink before returning to a natural hue, "if you must go, you must go. You may even be able to convince me to accompany you, if you're insistent enough." Inato springs to his feet, stretching luxuriously. "Do I have time for a bath before we go?"

Admiral Squish
2010-10-25, 06:58 PM
Isgrigg watches the whole spectacle with a sad smile. "Thanks, Zerrick. A lovely sendoff for good ol' Jillek." He says to the old elf as he sits back down. As the bartender approaches, he reaches into his pouch once again. "You're lucky I got paid today. How much do I owe?" He commented first to Zerrick, before turning his attention to the bartender.

Zore
2010-10-25, 07:20 PM
Jerron thinks for a moment, his mind racing through the information in the diary. He had not read much on the Mournelands, few of the books and scrolls about the region really dealt with information he felt was pertinent. But Xorn was right, there was something different about this.

"Alright Xorn, let's see this spell."

Chambers
2010-10-26, 12:56 AM
Vimak

Helen, Pon, and Rel are slow moving over to the dummy. It's clear that they are fatigued from the earlier workout. Rurik growls at them and they snap up. They drop into low stances, their feet spread apart and planted firmly on the ground. Each approaches the training dummy and whirls at it with their bare fists and foreheads. The dummy rocks back under their hammer blows, though it does not break.

They step aside, silently nursing their bruised hands. Ron holds his right wrist with care, gently squeezing different places on it, wincing at the touch. Rurik steps up to the dummy and inhales a deep breath. He holds it a moment and lets it out with a loud yell, clasping one hand inside the other he whirls around and brings them down on the dummys neck. Hairline fractures spread from the impact and he steps back.

The students eyes' widen and they bow to Rurik, impressed with his skill. He bows in return and turns to you. "Sensei...perhaps we could take a break? I've some healing salve that will take care of their injuries."

Lessa

Marbarith's knitting needles click and clack as you arrange the plants around the garden. Rika helps by digging the holes for you, then she wanders over to lay down next to Marbarith, who sneaks her biscuits when she thinks you're not looking.

The work is hard and it's lunchtime when you're finished, your muscles sore, but feeling good from the labor. Lady Marbarith has fallen asleep and it's been some time since you've heard her needles clack. The sweater she is making looks absolutely horrendous. Perhaps the old halflings sight is finally going in her senior years.

A servant comes out with a tray for lunch. Cold cuts and cheese, small fruits, breads and jams, with cold iced tea. He rouses Lady Marbarith and she wakes slowly. "Oh..hrmmph...Henry...Henry?" She looks around, her eyes focusing. "Oh dear, you're not Henry." She smiles at you and then looks at the rose bushes. "Oh, those are lovely darling, lovely. Care for some lunch?"

Jerron

"I have not perceived any visual manifestations when I tested the spell earlier, but perhaps there will be some when cast on you." Xorn says, completely misinterpreting your request to see the spell.

He raises a hand and points a finger at you and says "Divestia." A small blue bolt of electricity shoots out from his finger and slams into you. The magical energy does not hurt, but you can feel it coursing all through your body. In an instant all the invested essentia in your soulmelds is wiped out. You can feel them lose power as the essentia returns to your core.

"Interesting. Perhaps the spell requires a specific type of target for the visible effect." Xorn turns to his desk and picks up a feather pen and slides a fresh sheet of parchment towards himself. "Please describe the effects."

You can reinvest the essentia as normal on your "turn". There is no other effect.

Isgrigg

The bartender glares at Zerrick but holds off from violence with the promise of payment. He glances around and you can hear him quietly counting the broken glasses, a barmaid already going around to clean them up. "That's 18 smashed glasses...at 1 silver a piece...that'd be..." The bartender frowns, counting on his fingers. "1 gold, 8 silver." Zerrick says cheerfully. "Always was good at numbers." The bartender shakes his head at the elf and sticks two fat fingers out at you. "Two gold. The extras is so's I don't call the guard." He says, scowling at Verrick.

Inato

"Oh, certainly dear. It's not until later tonight." She says, wrapping her long golden hair up in a bun. "Fah. I'll fix it later." She swirls around on the stool and looks at you. "I could probably talk to him about getting you out of that dreadful contract...no promises, of course." She shrugs, then bites her lip. "I...I just don't want to hear that it was you that didn't come back one day." She says. "Is it wrong...that I'm glad it was Jillek and not you?"

---
All
I'm fine with keeping this up for awhile longer if you guys are having fun. If there's something else you'd rather do, let me know OOC or just post it IC.

If you want to move on let me know that too.

mangosta71
2010-10-26, 08:35 AM
Inato grins and glances over toward Elaina. "That's a terrible thing to say! Now you'll have to earn your way back into my good graces." His humor fades as he crosses the room. He turns Elaina back toward the mirror and stands behind her, hands on her shoulders, head bowed, and eyes closed. "It's too late. They won't let me out, now," he says quietly. He meets her eyes in the mirror. "If you know what they sent us after...I just hope it was worth a good man's life."

Admiral Squish
2010-10-26, 10:46 AM
Isgrigg sighs once more as he pulls out a pair of golden coins and places them in the bartender's hand. "You're an expensive friend, Zerrick. A good friend, but an expensive one." He comments to the elf across from him with a small chuckle. He takes a brief glance around the bar, searching for the server he ordered from.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-26, 12:22 PM
Lessa smiled, noticing the biscuits out of the corner of her eye as she worked, distracting herself with the familiar work.

When she finishes, she shakes her head, wipes a little sweat from it, and nods at her.
"Thank you, lady." she says, flapping her wings slowly to take a little weight from her feet.

dragonsamurai77
2010-10-26, 01:26 PM
Very well, then. Take as much time as you need to properly treat your injuries.

Zore
2010-10-28, 03:57 PM
"I feel... weaker. I don't know how to explain it." Jerron says to Xorn, flexing his hand . The blue gauntlet gives off only very minor sparks as he does, "It feels like it does at the beginning of the day, before I pour energy into it." Suddenly his eyes lit with excitement, "This means we finally have some real information! This is huge!"

Chambers
2010-10-28, 08:16 PM
Vimak

Rurik's healing salve reinvigorates the students and you spend the rest of the afternoon training with you. Dripping with sweat and about to drop from exhaustion the students bow to you and leave the training hall. Their usual playful banter has been replaced by low groans and winces as they limp home.

Rurik is fatigued as well, though he hides it better than the other students. "Sensei...I am glad you are back. Our sessions have been lacking." He says, then takes a few moments to catch his breath. He bows low and inhales sharply as he comes up. Holding one hand to his side, he waves you off. "Just a stitch sensei. Nothing my salve...and a few ales can't handle."

Lessa

Lady Marbarith smiles and picks up her knitting. "You're welcome dearie. Lets give you a break today, seeing as how you're just back." She nods over to the large stack of compost by the tool shed. "Just spread about half of it, and we'll call it a day."

Jerron

Xorn writes down what you say. "That is useful information. It appears the purpose of the spell is to drain your magical constructs of their energy, though I do not understand your incorrect remark about it's size; the spell itself is immaterial and occupies no space."

He turns towards you. "Regarding payment. As the book is a record of unique investigations and contains unique spells the value of the book is not quantifiable with the gold standard. However, I have already copied the information from the book and therefore now possess what cannot be measured by monetary cost. So the cost of the book is unknowable and I have received a payment whose worth is equally unknowable." He turns and hands you the book. "This appears to me to be what is called 'a fair deal'. Please thank the one known as Jin for bringing the book to me."

Isgrigg

The bartender takes your coins and opens his mouth as if to speak but thinks better of it and stomps off. Your server comes by with another round, shaking her head and smiling. "Rough day, you said? Looks like a lucky one to me, buying off Remmy like that without a fuss." She says smiling.

Zerrick takes his mugs and drowns it in single, long pull. He belches and wipes his mouth with his sleeve, winking at the cute server. "Isgrigg my boy, I must be off." He stands up, a little shaky but holds onto the chair and balances. "People to see, places to sleep." He puts a hand on your shoulder. "It's always a pleasure running into you, friend. Again, sorry about your loss." He grins, shifting his eyes towards the serve. "But perhaps my company could be replaced with a finer sort." He snorts and walks off, waving to you as he leaves.

Inato

Elaina looks up at you in the mirror. "No, I never heard and didn't ask. Didn't want to know just how dangerous it was." She reaches up and squeezes your hand. "But you're here now...that's what matters." Kissing your fingertips, she stands up from the mirror. "Now...what to wear to the ball? A cunning disguise..." Her robe flows and spreads, changing shape into the suit of a royal guard. "Or one more scandalous..." The guard's suit shifts into shear, gossamer fabric that accents more than hides her figure. "Oh, you will come tonight, won't you?"

----

All

The sun set on Sharn and the dragon moons soared through the sky. Laying in bed, either alone or with company, tired from hard work or in a stupor from drink, you sleep, and you dream...

You dream of the last mission and the death of Jillek. But there is no dragon, no ruins in the blasted waste, no airship travel to the mournelands. You dream of going down, below the Cogs, deep in the Depths of Under Sharn. Breaking open the seal to the locked entrance to the old Cannith enclave, your group searched through the ancient residence, fighting off strange creatures and getting lost in the labyrinth of crumbled passages and flooded chambers.

You remember how Jillek died...not from a dragons fire breath, but from the poison sting of a horrible mutated spider. It descended from the cobwebbed ceiling and pierced him six times in an instant with its legs. As you reached for him more of the monstrous arachnids dropped from the ceiling and the last thing you remember is unbelievable pain as your body is pierced with huge legs, as sharp as spears, and the poison spreading through your body like fire...

You wake with a start, drenched in sweat. It's just before morning, the last few moments before the sun rises. The city has a few more minutes of quiet before it starts to wake, and in the silence you can still hear each others screams.

A sealed envelope has been slipped under your door. Bearing the waxed impression of the House of Cannith, inside is a letter from Jons. The service for Jillek has been moved to today at noon, at the private cemetary on the Cannith grounds. He also mentions having another mission for you afterwards...

Lix Lorn
2010-10-28, 08:34 PM
Lessa awakes in a panic with a quiet shriek of fear, looking around wildly. When she realizes where she is, she relaxes slightly, but she isn't really 'alright.'

Seeing the envelope, she moves the covers away, and walks over, too unsteady to fly. Reading it, she groans internally, walking over to the corner of the room where Rika lays, asleep. She snuggles next to the sleeping creature, finding comfort in her fur and her warmth, and lays there, not daring to sleep, until she's called upon.

mangosta71
2010-10-28, 11:25 PM
Inato thrashes and moans in his sleep, too exhausted to wake from the nightmare until the morning light creeps across his face. He jerks upright, tripping and falling flat on his face with his feet tangled in the sheets. He cries out in panic as the last images of the dream flit across his consciousness, seeing himself entangled in the webs of huge spiders, struggling to break free from the binding fabric.

As the images fade, his eyes fall across the envelope on the floor. He kicks the covers free and rises unsteadily, still breathing hard. He takes it and returns to sit on the bed next to Elaina, turning it over in his hands, not wanting to open it. With a deep breath, he closes his eyes and breaks the seal.

dragonsamurai77
2010-10-29, 11:30 AM
Vimak, awakened from the nightmare, calmly heads out to the service.

Zore
2010-10-29, 11:46 PM
Jerron reads the note before crushing it in his fist and tossing it into a corner of his studio. Though exhausted from his restless night, he nonetheless writes out two letters and leaves them on his desk. The first is addressed to Jin thanking her for the book. Her respect for others privacy and property was near nonexistant and he knew she would surely come snooping when he didn't see her in the near future.

The other letter was something more new, a will detailing all the money he possesed be passed to his family in the event of his death and the books to be split among the people who had helped him acquire or decipher them. He felt it only right after Jillek.

He slowly dresses in his mission attire for the service, reflecting as he did that Jillek and the others had never really seen him out of it and felt a bit odd. He also gathered up the book he had recently obtained from Xorn and added it to his pack, unwilling to leave something so precious in his apartment.

That done he leaves for the service with plenty of time to spare, unconsciously appropriating the energy of his soul to strengthen the magical constructs that still floated like wisps around him. He needed to be at his best for the mission.

Admiral Squish
2010-11-01, 06:01 PM
Isgrigg is awake and across the room in a instant, leaping bodily from the sheets and pressing is back against the far wall of the room. His form flickers, sprouting fur in some place and feathers in others, a purely instinctual reaction to the heart-gripping terror that woke him. As he calms a little with each breath, he becomes slowly aware of his surroundings once more and the fur and feathers fade back into skin.

After a few deep breaths, he paused, realizing there was something under his foot. He looks down to see the letter crumpled slightly underfoot, and opens it up. This happens to coincide with the final drop-off of adrenaline, allowing him to finally experience the agonizing hangover that had lurked beneath the instinctive surge. As he reads, squinting with one hand on his head, his expression starts at pain and confusion, then shifts to sadness, before moving into confusion again, then hardening into determination. This only lasts a few seconds before he staggers his way over to the bathroom to try and prepare himself for the service and do something to put down the hangover.

Chambers
2010-11-03, 01:33 PM
Cannith Cemetary, Sharn
Mol, Third Week of Eyre

The rising sun was soon covered up by gray clouds and mist, light fog floating along the ground and rain drizzling from the sky. Overcast and dreary, the citizens of Sharn hurry along the skywalks, eager to get inside and near a fire.

House Cannith's cemetery is in the back of their grounds, an acre of lush green grass and drooping willow trees. The names and dates on the granite headstones go back centuries, from elaborate angelic carvings to simple slabs of stone. Jilleks service is attended by only a few outside yourselves. Jons is there, the rain sliding off his heavy jacket but his hair is wet and soaked, laying flat on his head. Besides him there are only three others - the two gravediggers and Leanne d'Cannith, a young woman, priest of the Sovereign Host and head of the house hospital.

Jilleks grave has been dug and the gravediggers are waiting nearby, standing under the cover of a willow. A simple box lays next to the empty grave, closed and sealed, a wreath of lilies and roses on top of it.

Jons tries to give a weak smile as you approach but he sighs and instead says "Thanks for coming. Uh...Merrix was going to be here, but he got called away." He nods towards the coffin. "He sent the flowers, and his apologies."

Lix Lorn
2010-11-03, 02:45 PM
Lessa sniffed, wearing black robes at the moment, sitting on Rika's neck. The Weasel looked equally upset.

mangosta71
2010-11-03, 04:06 PM
Inato steps out of a carriage bearing House Phiarlan's coat of arms, then turns to hand Elaina down. He holds an umbrella above her head and escorts her through the cemetery to Jillek's resting place, clasping her hand. He takes a single black rose from inside his surcoat and places it among the flowers already arranged upon the casket. Grief and rage war across his features as he stands silently beside the grave.

dragonsamurai77
2010-11-03, 04:26 PM
Rather than a flower, Vimak places a small stone on Jillek's grave. While he was initially the most affected by his death, the Goliath now seems oddly at peace.

Zore
2010-11-03, 06:14 PM
Jerron nodded stiffly at Jons, feeling a bit discomfited with Jillek's empty coffin lying so near. He had been angry to be sure but now he just felt... empty, like the moment wasn't quite real. He waits for the others to finish their grieving and hopes this scene will not be repeated after their next mission.

Admiral Squish
2010-11-03, 07:07 PM
Isgrigg stands out in the rain, head hung in mourning. He wears no coat and holds no umbrella, standing near the open grave soaked to the bone.

Chambers
2010-11-05, 04:54 PM
Leanne d'Cannith looks out at the group with a solemn face. "Thank you all for coming. While the blessed Host takes care of our souls, it is up to us to care for the hearts of our fellows while we live. Jillek cared not just for the hearts of his friends but for their lives and well-being, placing himself in harms way again and again to protect his friends."

She pauses to wipe the rain off her brow. "Though his body lays elsewhere, his spirit will always be welcome to rest here on Cannith grounds. His loyalty and service have earned him a place in Dol Arrah's splendid halls and we should celebrate his honor and vigor, not mourn his loss."

The priest nods to Jons and he lifts his hand, pointing it at the empty coffin. The rain splattered coffin lifts off the ground and floats down into the grave. He pulls a small envelope from within his jacket and lets it go. It floats down onto the top of the coffin, laying next to the wreath, flowers, and stone on it.

"It's got all I want to say to him. He knows what's in it." Jons says, looking down at the casket. Leanne nods and looks up at you all. "Does anyone else have something to say?"

Lix Lorn
2010-11-05, 05:38 PM
Lessa sniffed loudly, and shook her head.

mangosta71
2010-11-05, 08:12 PM
Inato murmurs something softly.

(OOC: Those of you who speak Celestial heard "Farewell, brother.")

Chambers
2010-11-08, 01:50 PM
Jons glances over at the workmen and they walk over to the grave, shovels in hand. Leanne closes her eyes and says "The grace of the host be with you all." You feel a pleasant tingling as a wave of warmth washes over you, pushing back against the cold and rain. It lasts a moment and then fades.

One of the workmen shivers and they start shoveling the dirt onto the casket. Jons walks over to Leanne and clasps her hands. "Thank you for coming. We appreciate it." She nods and pulls a silver necklace from within her cloak. "I will stay to ward the grave after they have finished." Jons smiles and turns away, motioning for you all to follow him as he heads back towards the mansion.

"I'm sorry for such the short notice, but we just learned that a team of tomb robbers are planning to infiltrate the ancestral House in under Sharn." He shakes his head and his eyes light up with anger. "Damn thieves have no respect for history. Probably sponsored by Morgrave, but the university would never admit it."

He waves his wand at the door and it opens into one of the servants entrances of the House. Stepping across the threshold the rain and cold is drained away from your clothes, leaving you dry and warm in the heated mansion. "We don't know exactly who, or what, is on the team, but we're sure that they're already on their way. Probably already in there. We need you to stop them and return with whatever artifacts they've stolen." He says, standing by a hearth in the mud room. "We have sleds waiting for you, if you've no other preparations to make."

Mud room just means a kind of utility room, where wet and dirty stuff from outside is placed and cleaned so as to not get the rest of the house dirty.

mangosta71
2010-11-08, 02:11 PM
Inato glances down at his attire. "I'm not exactly dressed to go crawling around through catacombs. Besides, it would terribly ungallant to not accompany my lady back to her residence," he says, lightly squeezing Elaina around the waist. "But catching graverobbers seems like something that the city guards should be handling. If you're sending us, you know that they're incapable of dealing with the situation, which means you know more than you're letting on."

dragonsamurai77
2010-11-08, 02:24 PM
Perhaps so, but it is not our job to question orders. Let us establish a plan and then gather our equipment.

Lix Lorn
2010-11-08, 02:54 PM
Lessa sniffed again, clearly holding back tears.
"There's something I'd like to do first..." she murmured, fluttering from Rika's back, and walking unsteadily to the grave, ignoring her words and anyone who tries to stop her. She kneels down at the graveside, and breathes deeply for several seconds.

She puts her palms to the ground, and nothing happens for several moments. Then leaves start to rise from the ground, stems, leaves, flowers, from the ground and from the sides of the grave, filling the area around it and around her with bright colours, colours matching the favourite colours of Jillek, Lessa, and the rest of the team. When she is done, it looks like a well tended garden, with paths through the flowers to reach the grave. She stands up, steps back, and another tear runs down her face, before she floats over to Rika's back again and returns her attention to the house representative.

Admiral Squish
2010-11-08, 11:54 PM
Isgrigg shakes himself off as he walks into the house. As he crosses the threshold, he pauses, suddenly confused in addition to the usual warm and dry. He mutters something under his breath as he steps into the space, listening to Jons. He doesn't say much as he listens. After a long pause, he speaks up."I'm ready to go, but I'm not going unless everyone's ready."

Chambers
2010-11-11, 07:06 PM
Elaina returns the squeeze and pecks Inato on the check. "I appreciate the thought dearest, but my coach can take me home." She glances over at Jons and the two hold each others gaze for a moment before Jons looks away and walks over to a cupboard.

Elaina whispers in Inato's ear, Return to me. Then lets go and stands a pace apart. Jons takes a small chest from the cupboard and places it on the table. He opens it and takes out five silver necklaces, each with a ruby pendant hanging from it. "We're sending you because there might be...items of a sensitive nature that they thieves could steal." He raises an eyebrow and hands out the necklaces. "Certain things that the House would rather not have the guard know about."

He looks over at Vimak. "You didn't bring your gear?" He sighs. "Allright, just stop by on your way there. We really don't have that much time to spare." He motions his head towards the front of the house. "We've got a sled for each of you, those that can't fly. They're waiting in the foyer."

mangosta71
2010-11-12, 09:51 AM
Inato takes an amulet, eying the ruby thoughtfully before he clasps it around his neck and tucks it under his jacket. "You don't know anything about the thieves?" he asks with a sigh. "Guess we may as well go find out for ourselves, then."

dragonsamurai77
2010-11-12, 02:26 PM
Vimak is the next to take an amulet, before hurrying to grab his equipment.

Lix Lorn
2010-11-12, 02:29 PM
Lessa nods, taking an amulet and heading for the foyer.

Admiral Squish
2010-11-12, 02:55 PM
Isgrigg takes an amulet as well, heading to the foyer. His posture shifts subtly as he walks, from the upright, dignified posture he held during the services to a slightly crouched one, one more suited to action.

Chambers
2010-11-15, 02:37 PM
Elaina blows Inato a kiss as she walks out the front door, her coach waiting in the courtyard. She runs to the coach, her jacket pulled over her head as the rain still falls. Jons closes the door and turns to you all. "The amulets will allow you to bypass the House wards. They should still be active, and they're not something you want to try and defeat on your own." He shakes his head. "How the thieves plan on getting past them, I don't know."

There are five soar sleds lined up next to the double staircase going up. The heavy green crystal slabs sparkle with in the light from the chandelier. "They should work down there, but we're not sure about that. Don't know how much of under sharn is still connected to the manifest zone." He nods as you stand on the sleds and walks over to the door, opening it. "Please be safe...and hurry!"

The sleds seem to grip your feet and hold you to them as you soar out of the house and down over the skyway. Freefalling down past the buildings and walkways, the few people caught out in the rain point and yell at you, at first concerned and then curious as you zoom past them. As you speed down the rain seems to be coming from nowhere and everywhere, simply appearing next to you as you match it's speed. Weaving through the districts you make a quick stop at Vimak's dojo for him to grab his gear and then drop back down over the ledge.

Flying straight down in the manifest zone it almost feels as though the wind is pulling you closer to the earth, the ground reaching out to touch you. The sleds give you perfect control though and you swoop up and level off before hitting the ground, hovering over the black and dirty streets that mark the district of the Cogs. Grime covered warforged, dwarves, and goblins look and talk to each other at your passing as your wind trail sweeps up the trash and debris. The buildings here are squat and short, seeming to bend under the weight of all of Sharn above them. The avenue runs forward into a huge open maw of black expanse - the entrance to the Cogs, and below, the Sewers.

I'm away from book so my memory of the layout of under sharn is sketchy. This is the main entrance to the Cogs, and within the Cogs are three districts - Ashblack (an industrial district with a Cannith workshop), Blackbones (an industrial district run by warforged), and Khybers Gate (a small undercity run by monstrous creatures and Daask).

The known way to get to the ancient depths is through Khybers Gate, down past the Sewers and then you're in the Depths. There may be other ways, but your characters don't know about them. There are a number of locations within Khybers Gate that will take you to the sewers. Feel free to either make one up or ask someone and I will.

Also - going down into the Depths is illegal, though most down in Khybers Gate don't care to follow that law, or any law in general.

mangosta71
2010-11-19, 11:49 AM
Inato finds a small clear spot to land his sled and hops out, trying to make it inconspicuous with street clutter. When he turns around to face the rest of the group, he has assumed the appearance of a grubby dwarf. He scurries ahead to scout the path and listen to the rumors among the locals.

Chambers
2010-11-26, 01:00 PM
Hiding your sleds in a back alley, Inato moves ahead of the group to scout. He passes a goblin talking in broken common to a half-orc, the two of them picking out coins and jewelry from a blood-stained bag. "Heard a hit team was going down through the Shamukaar this morning. Shanes said that they looked serious, paid Halfir double to use the hole."

The half-orc grunted and shrugged his shoulders. "Who cares? Not my grave they're robbing."

The Shamukkar is a well-known bar in Khybers Gate that caters to the monstrous folk, but all are allowed there as long as they keep their peace.

dragonsamurai77
2010-11-26, 02:54 PM
Perhaps we should find out what this "Halfir" knows.