PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan Flood Aid Donations Get You RPGs!

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-18, 06:07 PM
Some of you that are more socially conscious than I am may be aware that there was a flood beginning in July 2010 in Pakistan that left over 21 million people injured or homeless.

RPGNow.com, being the awesome site that it is, helps you donate 25 dollars to the aid efforts. In turn, you get RPG books.

Some of them are not that interesting, and most of them are D&D-based, so don't interest me in particular, but the books include Exalted 2nd Edition, Wild Talents 2nd Edition and Don't Rest Your Head, the sum of which would otherwise cost you about 75 dollars. Basically, you donate to a good cause (I can only hope that the donations will go to the right places), and get RPG books at a discount in return. Is it really something you want to say no to?

The bundle can be found here. (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=84741) If you're going to buy RPG books this month, but haven't decided what to buy, consider buying this bundle.

Alternately, if you're more of an indie comic book fan, this bundle (http://comics.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=84742) gets you some comic books as well as two RPG books.

Thank you for reading.

Attilargh
2010-10-19, 02:45 AM
You forgot Spycraft 2.0, which I personally find far better an action movie game than d20 Modern. For the grognards, there's also HarnMaster, and for those who like less-well known games there at least Icons, the rules-light superhero game as well as Hot War, which is some sort of post-nuclear war supernatural horror thingy. Together they're another $100 worth of gameystuff on top of the sweetness Rose Dragon described.

I just wish I could get a deal like this in a deadtree store.

Tengu_temp
2010-10-19, 02:50 AM
Exalted alone is worth more than 25 dollars.

Mutants and Masterminds alone is worth way more than 10 dollars.

Chess435
2010-10-19, 09:23 AM
For some reason I was thinking "Rocket Propelled Grenades" instead of "Role Playing Games". Probably the word Pakistan threw me off.

Tyger
2010-10-19, 10:19 AM
Exalted alone is worth more than 25 dollars.

Mutants and Masterminds alone is worth way more than 10 dollars.

Agree on the Exalted and the M&M. Good packages and well worth the prices.

jmbrown
2010-10-20, 09:37 AM
Man, only 4 posts? C'mon guys!

I'm interested in Adventures in Oz. For the grognards out there, I see Mongoose's collected Dragon Warriors game.

dsmiles
2010-10-20, 10:51 AM
Sorry, my personal political opinions are getting in the way. Not that I'm upset about that or anything, but <insert political rant here>. I'd rather not discuss it further for fear of breaching forum etiquette.

Matthew
2010-10-20, 02:16 PM
Pretty great deal, though. :smallbiggrin:

mucat
2010-10-20, 04:37 PM
Sorry, my personal political opinions are getting in the way. Not that I'm upset about that or anything, but <insert political rant here>. I'd rather not discuss it further for fear of breaching forum etiquette.

You must be joking. This is not political; it's humanitarian disaster relief.

For what it's worth, know that you just moved me from "Hey, this is a cool idea" to "I'm ordering, now."

Morph Bark
2010-10-20, 04:42 PM
So through doing this, they give you a download link to download the books, not something like you getting the actual books to hold in your hands?

If so, I can understand, but find it a bit of a shame.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 04:47 PM
So through doing this, they give you a download link to download the books, not something like you getting the actual books to hold in your hands?

Giving out hardcopy books for free is bad business. No matter what they might want to do with this charity event, the companies that created those books are businesses first. And hardcopies cost a lot to print and sell to give away for charity.

.pdf's, on the other hand, have minimal cost for the creators individually, and as such they can afford to hand them out. Plus, it's good publicity for the companies. "Hey, we're helping people in need. Buy our crap."

Just in case someone was still wondering why they don't do this with hardcopy books.

Morph Bark
2010-10-20, 05:45 PM
Giving out hardcopy books for free is bad business. No matter what they might want to do with this charity event, the companies that created those books are businesses first. And hardcopies cost a lot to print and sell to give away for charity.

.pdf's, on the other hand, have minimal cost for the creators individually, and as such they can afford to hand them out. Plus, it's good publicity for the companies. "Hey, we're helping people in need. Buy our crap."

Just in case someone was still wondering why they don't do this with hardcopy books.

Which is why I get that they're not doing such a thing, but with all my friends in my RPing circle combined, we don't need more pdfs for them, so this is not for me.

I fully encourage others who wish to support this to do so, however, as it is a commendable effort they're doing - so if you were going to want to get something on the list anyway, or were at least considering it, I'd say go for it!

Tyndmyr
2010-10-20, 05:56 PM
You must be joking. This is not political; it's humanitarian disaster relief.

For what it's worth, know that you just moved me from "Hey, this is a cool idea" to "I'm ordering, now."

Everything can be political. And people have differing opinions on charities, for all sorts of reasons. No need to get to deep into it, but presumably he has his reasons.

But hey, it does sound like a good deal. And yeah, I much prefer physical books as well, but I know players that are PDF fanatics. One of them is selling his D&D books to transition to PDF. I think he's crazy, but hey, whatever works for you. If it's your thing, may as well get em cheap, and if you like the charity, that's a bonus.

Edit: I believe they've done this before with other disasters as well, too. So, if for some reason, you absolutely don't want to help out with this one, but do like the idea of helping out and getting lots of RPG books...keep an eye on them. They'll probably do it again. There's always another disaster to help out with.

bokodasu
2010-10-20, 06:18 PM
I got their Haiti bundle and was quite pleased with it, if anyone's wondering how the actual process goes. Yeah, there was a bunch of stuff I didn't use, but what I do was more than worth it. Actually, I just remembered something that would be fun to bust out, so thanks for reminding me!

Blackfang108
2010-10-21, 02:58 PM
I got their Haiti bundle and was quite pleased with it, if anyone's wondering how the actual process goes. Yeah, there was a bunch of stuff I didn't use, but what I do was more than worth it. Actually, I just remembered something that would be fun to bust out, so thanks for reminding me!

*Shudder*

I'm now remembering how blasted long it took me to download THAT behemoth. This seems to have fewer items, which will make the downloading that much easier.

Also: I've yet to use anything from that bundle except as reading material.